[News] When Linux Comes to Work, Linux Comes Home

Why Linux isn't mainstream

,----[ Quote ]
| With the ease of installation, maintenance, and use of many recent Linux
| distributions, such as Ubuntu and Fedora, some are left wondering why Linux
| still isn't more widespread. Here's my theory.
|
| [...]
|
| But the primary reason that more home users aren't on Linux is because
| they don't use Linux at work. So the work environment is the root of
| the problem.
`----

http://synthesisbusiness.blogspot.com/2006/08/why-linux-isnt-mainstream-with-ease-of.html
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

<newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
 wrote
on Tue, 29 Aug 2006 15:25:26 +0100
<16526808.I27BjhS304@schestowitz.com>:
> Why Linux isn't mainstream
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | With the ease of installation, maintenance, and use of many recent Linux
> | distributions, such as Ubuntu and Fedora, some are left wondering why Linux
> | still isn't more widespread. Here's my theory.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | But the primary reason that more home users aren't on Linux is because
> | they don't use Linux at work. So the work environment is the root of
> | the problem.
> `----
>
> http://synthesisbusiness.blogspot.com/2006/08/why-linux-isnt-mainstream-with-ease-of.html

On the *desktop*, perhaps.  Servers are using Linux in
a number of places, so presumably the typical workplace
(if that term makes much sense) is someone using ssh or
putty or some such into a Linux or Solaris box.

The good news for me: the only item I cannot replace is
MS Office, and only because there's one essential E-mail
destination on it that I can't get Evolution to properly
accept. :-)  Everything else has either been replaced or
is invokable using WinE on my main system here.  (That
includes VSS and IE.)

The bad news: I don't know if we can hope for a complete
desktop replacement in 3 years for the entire industry.
It's an interesting problem, and presumably Microsoft
is acutely aware of the possibility.  (It would also
be a fairly grand coup for FOSS if we get a majority
of desktops.)

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.
0
ewill5 (11075)