[News] Why GNU/Linux Security is Fundamentally Better Than Windows 'Security' (as 'Feature')

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

'^=' and '~='?

'is not' or '!='
A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements like: if x is not None: and if x != None: Without any context, which one should be preferred? IMHO, the latter is more readable. On 2014-08-18 21:35, ElChino wrote: > A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements > like: > if x is not None: > and > if x != None: > > Without any context, which one should be preferred? > IMHO, the latter is more readable. > "x == y" tells you whether x and y refer to objects that are equal. "x is y&qu...

[News] 'Innovating' X for Windows and 'Supporting' Linux
Hardware thin-client turns XP Home, Linux into 10-user terminal server ,----[ Quote ] | In any case, this is interesting technology, and it supports Linux as well, | which is kind of an irony because the X protocol was created to do just that, | display GUIs -local or remote- over TCP/IP. `---- http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/15/hardware-thin-client-for-xp-home-and-linux ...

[News] [Rival] Microsoft Bundles So-called 'Security' (as a 'Feature')

[News] The 'Downside' of GNU/Linux: 'Too' Friendly with Old PCs
Why I can't get a new laptop ,----[ Quote ] | It's all Linux's fault. | | [...] | | So, because of Linux, I don't need a new laptop and I'm not letting myself | get one. I didn't install Ubuntu for that reason; I did it because I was | switching over to Linux completely, on principle, rather than buy into Vista | in all its unscrupulous, bug-ridden glory. Saving money on upgrades is an | unexpected side effect. And I have to say it's not altogether welcome. It's | good for me to be more frugal, but damn, it's frustrating to keep my wallet | in my po...

'Linux is perfect' and 'Linux is perfect for' idiocy
Straight up 'Linux is perfect' idiocy: ========================================================================= "Linux is perfect." Posted by: unknown at March 26, 2005 03:57 PM http://www.goodexperience.com/tib/archives/2005/03/apple_mail_filt.html "Linux is perfect." http://www.deadtroll.com/index2.html?/video/ossuckscable.html~content "Linux is perfect: its open source nature and excellent shell make it the ultimate hobbyist's operating system." http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/top-50-best-linux-apps-2011-1014373 ...

[News] Supercomputers Are 'All Linux' (de Facto), Windows Like 'Only 2%'
[Role reversal.] Tux fuels the HPC market ,----[ Quote ] | ..very year, since then, Linux, open source compilers and tools have been | increasing their share in this space due to their commodity nature, lower | cost factor and reasonable performance. | | “Linux as server OS technology fits in very well with the HPC segment. | Overwhelmingly the majority of today’s HPC clusters are based on Linux. Some | of the key benefits which are driving this adoption are high performance, | scalability, flexibility, affordability and of course, an increasing | ecosystem of hardware and software ...

[News] Microsoft's Linux 'Sellouts' Lose to Truly Free GNU/Linux
The World Series of Linux: Round 1 ,----[ Quote ] | But, clearly, Ubuntu shined. It has earned the right to play in the | championship round of The World Series of Linux. The next round will | determine its opponent, as the RPM Round pits SLED 10, Fedora 7 and PCLinuxOS | to compete to pick the best out of those distributions. `---- http://www.crn.com/software/204802194 Guess who lost here? Xandros and Linspire. Here is OpenSUSE losing: First Kubuntu Impressions ,----[ Quote ] | Well, seems like Kubuntu is the clear winner for professional users and also | for enthusiasts. For begi...

'''''''''''''The Running Update/Append Queries Using VBA code Ordeal''''''''''''''
Hello fellow programmers, I am trying to run an append/update query from code, a command button on a form initiates the queries. the format i am using is; _____________________________________________________ SELECT "criteria" FROM "criteria" WHERE "criteria" UPDATE/APPEND "field selections" RecordSource "qryExample" = above text strings" _______________________________________________________________________ When i am running a SELECT query in this manner it works fine with no problems, and accepts the values of specified linked for...

[News] GNU/Linux iTunes 'Killers', New Version of Photoshop 'Killer'

Apple's Leopard Is Better 'Linux' Than Linux
good reading... Apple's Leopard Is Better 'Linux' Than Linux Posted by Alexander Wolfe, Nov 11, 2007 07:30 PM Information Week Who knew that Apple's latest version of Mac OS X was knitted together from enough open-source software to give Linux a run for its money? That became apparent the other day when Apple released Darwin 9.0, which is the source code behind Leopard. True, there's no earthshaking news here. Apple has been publicly disclosing the source code behind OS X for years, and the Mac maker has long touted the inclusion of open-source in earlier versions ...

'Linux More Secure Than Windows': Linux Posted May 24, 2005
http://www.osdir.com/Article5641.phtml In its first annual Security Issues Survey for the debut of the Software Security Summit conference in La Jolla, California, BZ Research (www.bzresearch.com) polled 6,344 software development managers about the security of different popular enterprise operating environments. The Security Issues Survey's initial findings showed software managers consistently ranked Linux more secure than Windows, with client operating systems and applications seen as most susceptible to security exploits. The survey also explored the use of security vulnerability ass...

'''''''''''''The Running Update/Append Queries Using VBA code Ordeal'''''''''''''' #2
Hi, Thanks for ur help there HJ. I know how to do the tasks you specified there. I would like for the update query to use field values from some of the fields on the form (frmInvoices) such as InvoiceNumber, DateFrom, DateTo. My problem is that an append/update query can't find the values in the open Form (frmInvoices) when I specify them as; [Forms]![frmInvoices]![InvoiceNumber] a select query has no problem finding the field values on a form. please help. Aaron Hi Aaron, Could you post the entire code that you are having trouble with? Now it is not possible to see what goes wrong. HJ "Aaron" <aaron@rapid-motion.co.uk> wrote in message news:260d7f40.0408120245.2f3d01f8@posting.google.com... > Hi, > > Thanks for ur help there HJ. > > I know how to do the tasks you specified there. > > I would like for the update query to use field values from some of the > fields on the form (frmInvoices) such as InvoiceNumber, DateFrom, > DateTo. My problem is that an append/update query can't find the > values in the open Form (frmInvoices) when I specify them as; > > [Forms]![frmInvoices]![InvoiceNumber] > > a select query has no problem finding the field values on a form. > > please help. > > Aaron First off, if you are not always using all the parameters specified in your form, then you have to add parameters to your query on the fly. Also, you can't just do something like qdf.SQL = "SE...

if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy not in ('','.') Any shorter ?
Hi, there. =20 I'm just curious if it ever dawned on anybody how to abbreviate this line : if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy not in ('','.')=20 =20 Igor Kurbeko Clinical Programmer Analyst 678 336 4328 ikurbeko@atherogenics.com =20 no brain no pain =20 how about: if not (str_mo in ('','.') or str_da in ('','.') or str_yy in ('','.')) OR if not (missing(str_mo) or missing(str_da) or missing(str_yy)) Eric On 22 Oct 03 21:13:37 GMT, ikurbeko@ATHER...

[News] Linux' Challenge: Windows Users Too 'Addicted' to Windows Metaphors

[News] [Linux] Another Company Chooses Linux; Oracle's 'Linux Family' Extends Too
Columbitech Taps SUSE Linux Enterprise From Novell to Help Retailers Reach PCI Compliance and Safeguard Customer Data ,----[ Quote ] | This offering will give retailers PCI compliance by securing all | wireless devices and providing secure wireless access to the | back-end systems. `---- http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070605005558&newsLang=en Momentum continues for Oracle ,----[ Quote ] | Oracle recently announced that momentum continues to build | around the Oracle Unbreakable Linux Support Program (which includes | supp...

[News] Sophos Security Report Explains GNU/Linux 'Threats'
Sophos Says Cybercriminals Moving Beyond Microsoft ,----[ Quote ] | "The ultra-mobile ASUS Eee laptop, like many others, comes pre-installed with | Unix (Linux), making it automatically immune to the vast majority of spyware | and malware attacks," said Cluley. `---- http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/general/15890/sophos-says-cybercriminals-moving-beyond-microsoft http://tinyurl.com/36dag3 Related: Linux vs. Windows: Which is Most Secure? http://www.esecurityplanet.com/views/article.php/3665801 Linux Security: A Big Edge Over Windows http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory...

[News] Microsoft's 'Anti-Linux Squad' Getting 'Busy' in Kerala
Mammooty, don't join hands with Microsoft ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft will be signing up Malayalam movie star Mammootty as one of the | brand ambassadors for the Computer Literacy programme that is to be organized | soon in Kerala, a Southern Indian State well known for its pro-free software | policies. `---- http://digg.com/microsoft/Mammooty_don_t_join_hands_with_Microsoft How miserable has Microsoft become? First Jackass and now Bollywood? Recent: Microsoft apparently hopes that a "Jackass" can up its hip quotient and increase market share ,----[ Quote ] | This cam...

A function with 'and' , 'not' , 'null' , 'car' and 'cdr'
What's this ? (defun enigma (x) (and (not (null x)) (or (null (car x)) (enigma (cdr x))))) "I suppose I should learn Lisp, but it seems so foreign." - Paul Graham, Nov 1983 On Wed, Oct 07 2015, CAI GENGYANG wrote: > What's this ? > > > (defun enigma (x) > (and (not (null x)) > (or (null (car x)) > (enigma (cdr x))))) Bad taste? It returns T if the list X contains nil as an element. It would be clearer to write (some #'null x). Helmut CAI GENGYANG ...

RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other
> -----Original Message----- > From: JF Mezei [mailto:jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com]=20 > Sent: October 11, 2004 11:45 PM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions=20 > VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS')=20 > other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other=20 > OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other=20 >=20 > "Main, Kerry" wrote: > > Course, there are many ways to offer differen...

which is more 'pythonic' / 'better' ?
hi, there are 2 versions of a simple code. which is preferred? === if len(line) >= (n+1): text = line[n] else: text = 'nothing' === === try: text = line[n] except IndexError: text = 'nothing' === which is the one you would use? thanks, gabor gabor wrote: > hi, > > there are 2 versions of a simple code. > which is preferred? > > > === > if len(line) >= (n+1): > text = line[n] > else: > text = 'nothing' > === > > > === > try: > text = line[n] > except IndexError: > text = '...

Re: if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy not in ('','.') Any shorter ?
OR you could use ARRAY data new; set old; array igor $ (*) str_mo str_da str_yr; do over igor; if igor ~in (' ','.') then do; end; run; Prasad Ravi Igor Kurbeko <ikurbeko@ATHEROGENIC To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU S.COM> cc: Sent by: "SAS(r) Subject: if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy ...

[News] If Windows is a Copy of the Competition, Whose OS is GNU/Linux a 'Copy' of?

Web resources about - [News] Why GNU/Linux Security is Fundamentally Better Than Windows 'Security' (as 'Feature') - comp.os.linux.advocacy