[News] Why Palm's Linux-based Foleo Has Room in Today's Market

OK Palm, We're Ready for the Foleo Now

,----[ Quote ]
| Ok, back to the imagining: Your mobile
| computer is great, but sadly the keyboard and
| screen aren't that great for long form
| typing. Sure, you can tweet your tweets, book
| your face, and SMS your SMSers -- but even a
| moderate length email starts to get annoying.
| If only there were a way to get your pocket
| sized computer onto a docking station. A
| docking station with a battery. And a screen.
| And a real keyboard. Just like the Palm Foleo
| almost was!
|
| I'm not suggesting the Foleo should exist in
| its original form. I'm suggesting Palm (or
| Nokia?) design a sheath for their mobile
| computers that could replace a netbook.
| Really, do you ever have a netbook somewhere
| you don't have your cellphone? Of course not.
| Just think about the advantages a Foleo-like
| device could offer the mobile geek:
|
|     * A huge battery to charge the phone
|     while "docked."
|     * A big screen. Even if a similar
|     resolution, bigger pixels.
|     * A keyboard as opposed to a thumbboard.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/ok-palm-were-ready-foleo-now

Recent:

Palm Foleo: Not such a dumb concept after all?

,----[ Quote ]
| If the sudden rush into subnotebooks by major PC vendors is any indication,
| it's worth considering whether Palm's Foleo wasn't such a lame idea.
|
| Photos of a subnotebook from Hewlett-Packard, reportedly called the HP Compaq
| 2133, showed up on the Web recently. And another major PC vendor, Acer, is
| also rumored to be entering the subnotebook fray sometime soon.
|
| [...]
|
| Not coincidentally, the impetus for HP's experimentation in this category was
| its concern over the very low price tag Asus was able to stick on the Eee PC.
| Selling the mini-notebook at $399, even if it's a secondary PC and runs
| Linux, gives it a serious chance to further chip away at the
| already-declining average selling prices for notebook PCs. (The 2133 from HP
| will have an entry level model priced at $499, and will have a Via processor,
| we're told.)
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9875451-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Related:

Palm Says Foleo 2 Still on Track

,----[ Quote ]
| Palm FoleoAccording to the Wireless Week industry trade journal, a new
| version of the cancelled Foleo Mobile Companion running on Palm's
| next-generation Linux OS is still very much in Palm’s future product plans...
`----

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8197/palm-says-foleo-2-still-on-track/

Palm Looking For Linux Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| The success of the 2.5-pound device — which turns on and off instantly, touts
| an easy-to-use interface and promises five hours of battery life — could
| depend on how programmers react to it this week at the LinuxWorld conference
| in San Francisco.
`----

http://www.investors.com/editorial/IBDArticles.asp?artsec=17&artnum=2&issue=20070806

Palm Foleo with Linux threatens the Laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| The Palm Foleo is joining a list of MID (Mobile Internet Devices) like the
| Nokia N800 and Asus Eee that use a lightweight version of Linux but the main
| advantage of the Foleo is its instant on feature.  While traditional “Linux”
| may be too difficult for the average user to handle, these highly integrated
| implementations of Linux have no problem being adopted by the masses.  That
| could pose a problem for Microsoft in the long run if these devices ever get
| widespread adoption.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=562

Palm Foleo First Thoughts

,----[ Quote ]
| If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a video should be worth a
| whole volume. That's why Brian Beeler and I recorded a brief video
| overview of the Foleo, which will hopefully give you a better idea of
| what it will be like to use the first mobile companion yourself.
`----

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13139

Pair of Palm ISVs promise Foleo ports

,----[ Quote ]
| Two ISVs (independent software vendors) have announced plans to port
| their commercial applications to Palm's forthcoming Linux- and
| ARM-based miniature laptop.
`----

Live from LinuxWorld: the Palm Foleo

,----[ Quote ]
| Currently, developers can build apps for the device by signing up with the
| Palm Developer Network; one of the guys at the stand told me that a free SDK
| should be available later on. Unfortunately, the Palm folks haven’t built an
| X server for the machine yet, so porting graphical programs could be out the
| question. That said, with only 128MB RAM, you wouldn’t want to be running
| OpenOffice.org on this thing anyway...
`----

http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/blog/?p=322?fromrss=1

Palm Foleo: the exclusive first and final hands-on

,----[ Quote ]
| The irony is so thick we're almost drowning in it, but we had to see this
| thing through to the end.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/27/palm-foleo-the-exclusive-first-and-final-hands-on/

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] Palm's Linux-based O/S to be Completed by Year's End

[News] Palm's 'Nova Linux' in the Making, Archos Made Linux-based Flexible
Palm Codenames Linux-Based Palm OS II Nova ,----[ Quote ] | Now comes word from Palm Infocenter that the PDA pioneer not only has yet | another, third, smartphone in the works, but that that device is being used | to test its long-delayed Linux-based follow up to the Palm OS, which now has | an internal codename of its own. `---- http://www.smartphonetoday.com/articles/2008/1/2008-1-11-Palm-Codenames-Linux.html Archos 605 WiFi Linux hack ,----[ Quote ] | Personally, I think the Archos 605 WiFi is a cool enough gadget on its own, | but there's always something to be said for hack...

[News] Nokia's Linux-based N900 a "resounding success"; Dell's Linux Phone is Reviewed, Coming Soon

[News] Splashtop's Role as Linux Advocacy/Marketing Tool, Linux-based EeePC 900 Review

[News] Palm's and Nokia'a Linux Phones Another Sign of the Platform's Success?

[News] Microsoft's 'Future' is Linux's Yesterday
Parallel Computing`s Already Here ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft's Craig Mundie is right. Parallel computing is going to change | everything about computing, but his timing is off. Thanks to Linux, it's been | here for years. | | The future is today. | | [...] | | It's not just video though. Supercomputers are made up of MPP arrays of | hundred or even thousands of ordinary Intel or AMD chips running Linux. The | current top supercomputer, the IBM Blue Gene/L system at the Lawrence | Livermore Lab, can hit 478.2 teraflops (trillion calculations per second) | with its tens ...

[News] Palm's Linux-based OS in the Making; =?UTF-8?B?RXhvbuKAmXM=?= Quran PDA Runs Linux Too

[News] [Linux] Another Company Chooses Linux; Oracle's 'Linux Family' Extends Too
Columbitech Taps SUSE Linux Enterprise From Novell to Help Retailers Reach PCI Compliance and Safeguard Customer Data ,----[ Quote ] | This offering will give retailers PCI compliance by securing all | wireless devices and providing secure wireless access to the | back-end systems. `---- http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070605005558&newsLang=en Momentum continues for Oracle ,----[ Quote ] | Oracle recently announced that momentum continues to build | around the Oracle Unbreakable Linux Support Program (which includes | supp...

[News] Palm's Linux-based Foleo is Not Dead, Foleo 2 is in the Making
Palm Says Foleo 2 Still on Track ,----[ Quote ] | Palm FoleoAccording to the Wireless Week industry trade journal, a new | version of the cancelled Foleo Mobile Companion running on Palm's | next-generation Linux OS is still very much in Palm’s future product plans... `---- http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8197/palm-says-foleo-2-still-on-track/ Related: Palm Looking For Linux Developers ,----[ Quote ] | The success of the 2.5-pound device — which turns on and off instantly, touts | an easy-to-use interface and promises five hours of battery life — could | depend on how progra...

[News] Man's Life's Work Centered Around GNU/Linux for Tomorrow's Generation

[News] Another Glimpse at Palm's Secret Linux-based in-development Palm OS II
Yes, Virginia, There is a New Palm OS ,----[ Quote ] | Now, the unnamed new OS that wags have been calling "Nova" or "Palm OS II" | isn't the Linux-based OS that Palm was going to use last year. That product, | the Access Linux Platform, didn't meet Palm's standards, Maes said. | | "There were things in that platform that were focused on a different set of | customers than what we were looking to do, and there were things in that | platform that do not support things we would like to do going forward," Maes | said. `---- http://www.pcmag....

[News] Motorola's Older Linux Phones Live on, TomTom's Linux Devices Improve

[News] [Linux] Palm's First Linux-based Treo Leaked?
Next-gen Palm Treo spied on web... twice ,----[ Quote | Pictures of what is claimed to be Palm's next-gen Treo smart phone | have begun to appear on the web to reveal a device that looks a lot | like Creative's Zen Vision:M media player. `---- http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/06/11/new_treo_sighted/ No word about the O/S, but it's expected to be Linux. Related: After the Treo 755p, whither the Palm OS? ,----[ Quote ] | New device uses Garnet OS, but future of old operating system | unclear in light of Palm's impending switch to Linux-based platform `---- http://www.i...

It's on-it's off-it's on, it's off -WHY?
IS THIS THE CORRECT FORUM? Hope so. We have three computer networked at home...all with Windows XP. one of those is a laptop. Some mornings all 3 can see each other and transfer files...then mysteriously one or more will disappear. No contact....then later it's back. The laptop is the worst. Most often it won't let us in...but sometimes it will. No obvious reason. The most INFURIATING part is the message "see your administrator". Dammit Bill Gates...don't you realize that most networks are small offices without a Majestic Royal Administrator sitting his i...

[News] Linux's Own 'Dashboard' Leaps Ahead of Apple's Leopard (Not Even Released Yet)
Awn Hover effects ,----[ Quote ] | Awn has lost of cool new hover effects being created so I will demonstrate | them all here including the cpu monitor applet. | | The hover effects demonstrated in this video are: | | * Classic | * Fade | * Spotlight | * Zoom | * Squish | * 3d Turn `---- http://thelinuxmovement.blogspot.com/2007/09/awn-hover-effects.html Related: Avant Window Navigator Effects ,----[ Quote ] | The new advanced and cool effects of the great linux-dock by NJPatel... � `---- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFhWNGtZKrg AWN 3D Turn Icon Effect Vi...

[News] GNU/Linux on a Mission to Eat Apple's (and Microsoft's) Market Share

[News] Nokia's Linux Tablet Improved, OpenMoko on the Way, Google's Linux Phone Attracts Devs
OS upgrade leaks for Linux-based tablet ,----[ Quote ] | The hotly anticipated Maemo operating system upgrade for the Nokia N800 | Internet Tablet has leaked. Early reviewers are impressed with the upgrade's | faster performance and Mozilla-based Web browser. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS7806233999.html OpenMoko prepping to push sales of Linux-based handset ,----[ Quote ] | OpenMoko, a Linux-based open source handset platform developer, is pushing | the development of Linux-based smartphone with its open source handset, the | Neo 1973, which may be available to the ma...

[News] Moving One's Father to GNU/Linux, Lies About the Platform's Market Share

Error? s = assignin('base','s',tf('s'));
Hi, I need a little help here. Could anyone please tell me what is wrong with this command? s = assignin('base','s',tf('s')); The matlab syntax is -- assignin(ws, 'var', val) Basically I just want to add s=tf('s') into the base workspace. Jack "Jack" <Jack@Jill.com> wrote in message news:ef3e449.-1@webcrossing.raydaftYaTP... > Hi, > I need a little help here. Could anyone please tell me what is wrong > with this command? > > s = assignin('base','s',tf('s')); > > The matlab syntax is -- as...

[News] Palm's Linux-based Foleo Review and Impression
Hands-On With Palm's Linux-based Foleo ,----[ Quote ] | I spent some time today with Palm's not-yet-released Foleo at the LinuxWorld | conference here in San Francisco. Due out this summer, the $600 | not-quite-a-laptop device is small and light and might be of interest for | some Treo-using mobile professionals, but most people would likely be much | better served by a regular notebook. `---- http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/005126.html [Anti-Linux shill:] Palm's Foleo: The Closer It Gets, the Better It Looks? ,----[ Quote ] | It runs a Linux distro from Win...

[News] Palm's Linux-based OS Bound to Improve

[News] Video of Palm's New Linux-based OS
[It's not truly Palm(Source), it's ALP, but still...] A Close Up View of Access Linux Platform at 3GSM ( with Video) ,----[ Quote ] | Several shots show a smartphone emulator running the Access Linux | Platform (ALP). Here you can see ALP's Today Screen, Applications | Launcher (see top image), Garnet VM controls and a number other | status and preference screens. Next up is an actual developer | phone shown running ALP in a screen shot and a minute-and-a-half | video. `---- http://www.pdastreet.com/articles/2007/2/2007-2-14-A-Close-Up.html On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 18:21:15 +0000, ...

[News] [Linux] Palm's Linux Device (Foleo) Already Earns Industry Support
Pair of Palm ISVs promise Foleo ports ,----[ Quote ] | Two ISVs (independent software vendors) have announced plans to port | their commercial applications to Palm's forthcoming Linux- and | ARM-based miniature laptop. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3040432303.html Related: Q&A: Palm's founder answers the Foleo's critics ,----[ Quote ] | It [Linux] allowed us to do everything we wanted to do. I wouldn't have put | Windows Mobile or something on this. Because I wouldn't have been able | to build the product I wanted. I couldn't have made the inst...

[News] Microsoft's Nightmare Comes True: Google's GNU/Linux-based Sub-notebooks

Web resources about - [News] Why Palm's Linux-based Foleo Has Room in Today's Market - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Text-based internet on TI-Nspire Linux - YouTube
Challenge completed. Graphics based internet coming up soon. (I didn't demonstrate it here but there's also an SSH server running in the background ...

Start-up Threat Stack aims to protect Linux-based clouds from hackers
Start-up Threat Stack says it's making its hacker-detection for the cloud software available for controlled beta testing this week, with general ...

NSA releases Linux-based open source infosec tool
Aims to avoid duplication of effort for govt agencies.

Dell adds Pluribus, brings Linux-based OS to its data center switches
Dell has added Pluribus Networks to its lineup of disaggregation partners.

Project Magenta is Linux-based mobile OS that aims to replicate iOS on generic hardware
... details, here’s what little is known about this Open Source Magenta Project: Magenta is an implementation of Darwin/BSD on top of the Linux ...

Linux-based HP Mini Mi ships with command line disabled
Linux is hitting the consumer product big time but while doing so, it's hiding …

Nokia: Linux-Based Smart Phone Takes On The iPhone
... can take on the Apple (AAPL) iPhone ? This morning, the company launched a new model called the N900 which is based on the company’s Linux ...

Fedora 23 is here download the free Linux-based operating system now
... Linux kernel 4.2. If you are a fan of open source, security, frequently updated packages and free-software ideology, this is the Linux-based ...

Valve unveils SteamOS – a free, Linux-based gaming platform for the living room
... is likely the operating system that will run Valve's hardware — SteamOS. Steam's first-party, stand-alone operating system will be Linux-based ...

Linux Based Devices - Business Insider
We talked to Jim Zemlin, executive director of the Linux Foundation.