[News] Why Windows Desktop Cannot be Taken Seriously, Unlike GNU/Linux

6 things Microsoft needs to do before I’ll take Windows seriously

,----[ Quote ]
| While I’m going to address security later
| in this article, let me say one thing
| about Windows Updates: you need them. If
| you are
| not applying updates at least monthly, you
| will regret it, unless you’re one of those
| oddball system administrators who doesn’t
| MIND finding that your servers are part of
| a botnet, or have been turned into a porn
| server, or a spam server, or more on the
| stability side of things, are ridden with
| bugs that Microsoft has deemed worthy of
| fixing in a patch or a hotfix.
| As for my second truth there, in my
| experience Windows servers act “funny”
| when they’ve been up and running (and
| providing some service, not just sitting
| idle) for longer than a month or so. Odd
| things will happen… you might see some out
| of control paging file usage, bizarre
| error messages, services that are in some
| sort of “starting” or “shutting down”
| limbo (which only a reboot can fix), you
| know the drill.
| My point is, Windows servers need frequent
| reboots. If you’re a Windows IT person and
| you don’t think that only a month of
| uptime isn’t ridiculous, then you
| obviously haven’t done anything other than
| Windows in your data center, because I’m
| here to tell you: it’s nuts.
| Microsoft needs to address stability first
| and foremost, and while they’re at it, and
| while we’re on the subject of uptime, they
| need to engineer things in a way that
| won’t require a reboot for seemingly EVERY
| My last maintenance evening I had to
| reboot one particular server four times in
| order for it to take all of its updates,
| and it had only been two weeks since its
| last round of them. That’s ridiculous. I
| can count on one hand the number of times
| I’ve actually HAD to reboot a Linux
| machine after applying pushed-out updates
| for it.
| [...]
| I always find it funny when I read
| articles that are mostly FUD that say
| things like “Linux is not ready for the
| desktop” and “not ready for the
| enterprise”, because as I just discussed,
| the reality of the situation is that well,
| neither is Windows. Whether you’re running
| XP or Windows 7, Server 2003 or Server
| 2008, you’ll find that compared to the
| alternatives, you’re running something
| that requires constant attention, constant
| hand holding, constant reboots, constant
| patching, constant reloading,
| troubleshooting, more hardware
| requirements, and more security-mindedness
| in your administrative approach, just to
| do its job.

I've Installed Linux, Now What?

,----[ Quote ]
| How do you deliver the bad news to someone
| who is upset, technically unsavvy and has
| just overwritten their Windows system with
| Linux?
| He had installed a second hard disk in his
| system and wanted to put Linux there. The
| problem was that when he installed it, he
| did so to the primary (Windows) disk.
| I looked up a PC Recovery business in the
| phone book for him and politely told him,
| "Good luck." I unplugged my phone until
| the next morning.
| I'll never know what happened to that guy
| or if he ever recovered his files or his
| Windos system. But, it makes me wonder if
| that scenario could play out today with
| our newer, cooler, smarter installers.
| Could that happen on Ubuntu, for example

Why GNU/Linux is ready for the Average User

,----[ Quote ]
| I find it amusing that people like to jump on
| the Ubuntu bashing bandwagon just because an
| installation (or some piece of setup) goes
| astray. Ever tell the average user they need to
| reinstall Windows? Nine times out of ten they
| will look at you side ways (or if your a tech
| such as myself they will ask you to do it for
| them). Does this make Windows less popular or a
| "not ready" operating system just because you
| need a professional (or someone with at least
| some know-how) to get it all installed and
| running properly? No, it does not. Why should
| the standard be any different for GNU/Linux?
| In short I'd like to say this: Linux is more
| than ready for the average user to be using,
| but just like any operating system it may be a
| bit much for the average user to get it setup
| and thats just fine if you ask me.

Is Linux really that hard to use?

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is just different and once people have
| become used to the differences they have no
| problems. Sort of like driving an unfamiliar
| car for the first time. Some controls feel
| different or be in a different place. The car
| will handle differently to start off with yet
| once you become used to the different control
| positions and the handling characteristics you
| are just as confident as in your own car.
| Linux is not hard to use, just different.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)

5/27/2010 11:28:25 AM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 121601 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Similar artilces about - [News] Why Windows Desktop Cannot be Taken Seriously, Unlike GNU/Linux:

[News] More Good News for Linux-based Handset Devices
Esmertec And Yuhua TelTech Set New Benchmark With 1-stop Solution For Linux-Based Mobile Devices ,----[ Quote ] | Esmertec announced that Yuhua TelTech, a Chinese Independent Design | House (IDH) for mobile devices, has chosen Esmertec's 1-stop solution | for its Linux-based platform for mobile devices and smart phones. The | platform will be shipped on Linux-based handset devices for the | European and Chinese market at the end of December 2006. `---- http://linux.sys-con.com/read/310276_p.htm Linux is becoming big in China's mobile industry. It is disruptive enough to have had Bal...

[News] [Rival] More Microsoft Lawsuits, Antitrust

[News] Zenwalk Linux Pleases Reviewer
Zenwalk 4.8 Review ,----[ Quote ] | I am just in love with xfce based distributions; they are fast, simple and | elegant and Zenwalk is no exception. It has a really good control center and | out-of-box multimedia support. `---- http://simplyjat.blogspot.com/2007/11/zenwalk-48-review.html Related: Releases : Zenwalk 4.8 is ready ,----[ Quote ] | The Zenwalk Team is happy to announce the Zenwalk 4.8 release. | | After several release-candidates, it seems that we are ready for a very | stable release. Overall, testers have found Zenwalk 4.8 the fastest version | ever.   `---- ...

[News] Macs are Great... Linux Boxes
Mac Mini becomes Linux-based IP PBX ,----[ Quote ] | An East German company will soon begin selling an IP-PBX setup based | on a Mac Mini running Linux. 4S Newcom's iBlue package comes with an | iPod Shuffle that acts as a boot device for the Mac Mini, plus five | Linux-based VoIP phones. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8680369796.html Linus argues that while the hardware/box looks attractive, it is actually a PITA to work with (its firmware). On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 07:55:01 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > Mac Mini becomes Linux-based IP PBX > > ,----[ Quote ] >| An...

[News] IBM Thinkpads Sold with SUSE Linux, Full Support Included
This relates to Lenovo's recent annoncement. ThinkPad--now with Suse Linux ,----[ Quote ] | In addition, Lenovo will provide Linux support for the laptop, | including drivers and its ThinkVantage technologies found on ThinkPad | loaded with Microsoft's Windows operating system, he said. `---- http://news.com.com/2100-1005_3-6105543.html?part=rss&tag=6105543&subj=news ...

News about SAS
Dear SAS Users, The user acceptance testing period has been completed without any problems reported. Please make sure you do not leave any SAS processes running overnight or scheduled to be run overnight as Darin will be switching us to the new machine tonight or early tomorrow morning. This will be transparent, your usual sas8 and sas6 command will now run on the new machine. If you should get a message asking to validate the 'host' abraham .... just say 'yes'! Happy SAS'ing on our smaller, faster machine.... I will be on vacation tomorrow, please let the help desk kno...

[News] AlwaysOn 100 Innovators Choose MySQL
MySQL Used By Majority Of "AlwaysOn 100" Innovators ,----[ Quote ] | It is no coincidence that the majority of these "Hot 100" start-ups are | using the MySQL open source database to power their IT infrastructure, | Web sites and products. `---- http://sourcewire.com/releases/rel_display.php?relid=26506&hilite= ...

[News] Nimblex GNU/Linux Customised for Users via the Web

Re: DECnet positively in the news #2
Bob Koehler <koehler@EISNER.NOSPAM.ENCOMPASSERVE.ORG> writes ... >[...] > > You may already be aware of this, but DECnet is available on Linux - > > http://linux-decnet.sourceforge.net/index.html > > DECnet is available on just about everything. I can't remember the > last time I had a system that I couldn't get Phase IV for. (Maybe > it was my DECSYSTEM 20's before Phase IV shipped?) I have some consolation for those not as fortunate as Mr. Koehler (e.g. not as well-funded, or simply lacking the time to install DECnet, or even using so...

py on windows Mobile 5.0?
Does anyone know if/how to go about using python on a windows mobile 5.0 PDA? Kevin ...

Some Windows symbol characters mis-render in MacOS X
Crossposted: csma; csmm; csms Follow-up set to: comp.sys.mac.system I'm using MacOS X 10.4.8. Some Windows non-ascii characters (specifically the fraction symbols 1/2, 1/4, 3/4, etc.) render incorrectly in my newsreader MacSOUP 2.8b2. For example: Windows fraction symbol "half" (1/2) shows here as capital Greek letter "Pi" (∏). I've confirmed with another MacSOUP user that he sees the same behaviour; I also see this in both Thunderbird and Google Groups reading and posting interface using FireFox. It happens using all of the five or six fonts that I've tr...

Plot loses x-axis labels when moving or resizing window
Hi guys, I have certain plots that when I either re-size or move (drag and move) the window, the plot loses the labels on its X axis and lowers the position of the Y axis labels: When the plot is initially drawn: a | b | c | d | e |----------------------- F G H I J When I either move the window (by dragging it with the mouse), or re-size the window by maximizing: | | | | |----------------------- F G H I J Y labels are lower and the X labels have disappeared. ...

[News] When You Use Microsoft Windows, You Share Your Desktop with Feds
German government sees itself in good company with online searches ,----[ Quote ] | The spyware then sent information on all internet connections and websites | visited to the FBI, who then arrested the pupil. However, in contrast to the | planned procedure in Germany, CIPAV does not transfer the content of | communications or files. `---- http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/94988/from/rss09 Related: FBI ducks questions about its remotely installed spyware ,----[ Quote ] | There are plenty of unanswered questions about the FBI spyware that, as we | reported earlier this we...

Have you heard the GOOD NEWS?
http://www3.boxke.net << click link for the good news google_groups_usa@yahoo.com wrote: > <snip> << click link for the good news Someone has created a DWIM compiler? [clicks link] Bill, never mind. -- http://billpg.me.uk/ usenet(at)billpg(dot)me(dot)uk ...

[OT] Haylp! Linux hates my router (or vice-versa)
Before I start bothering the proper forums with this, I thought I'd take a punt with you lot... I've finally got broadband. Hurrah! Except... I have a modem router, with my brother's Windows machine and my own Linux box currently connected to it. The router's at, by bro is at, and I'm The Windows machine has no problems at all (so there's clearly nothing wrong with the router), but I can't get mine to recognise the router for love nor money. I can ping (so it doesn't seem to be a problem with my hardware either;...

[News] [Linux] Novell Answers Tough Questions on Microsoft IP
Novell sheds (a little) more light on its patent access deal ,----[ Quote ] | Q. How does Microsoft promising not sue Novell customers gives | Novell engineers sanctioned access to Microsoft code? | | [...] | | In fact, I would suggest that the answer to the first question makes it | clear that the patent access granted by the technical collaboration | agreement and the patent covenant not to sue customers are completely | unrelated. | | It certainly appears to be at odds with Steinman's earlier statement: "the | intellectual property agreement provided a foundation for the | in...

LONG [News Digest] Linux News Digest for the 24hrs preceding 09-10-07
In today's digest, we have: * Linux Myths Get Broken and Windows Realities Revealed * Novell Gets Greedy (Wants OpenOffice.org for Itself) * [Rival] Resource Hogs and Faulty Computers from Proprietary Vendors * [Rival] Bringing Windows 'Reliability' to People's Health Verdicts * Video: xwinwrap Does Animated Backgrounds in Linux * IBM Chooses Linux in New Google Collaboration * Big New Release for Granular Linux (Granular FunWorks 2007) * Open Source Approach Shows Its Advantage; Radiohead Takes the Open Route * [Rival] The Rob Enderle Bozo Gets ...

access to windows filesystems
Hi, is there any possibility to access a windows filesystem or better said a folder from an aix workstation? i don't want the other way (aix->windows - samba). bye Marko wrote: > Hi, > is there any possibility to access a windows filesystem or better said > a folder from an aix workstation? > > i don't want the other way (aix->windows - samba). > > bye You can use sharity to access windows filesystems. Rakesh hess.m@imp-online.de (Marko) writes: >is there any possibility to access a windows filesystem or better said >a folder from an aix works...

QOTW: "I still want to keep compile time type checking to make sure I don't make any mistakes." "Sounds like you want two wives, but I'm pretty sure polygamy gets a checkbox in the naughty category on Santa's list" -- George Jempty (commenting on "Dear Open Source Santa," by Paul Browne) http://www.oreillynet.com/onjava/blog/2006/12/dear_open_source_santa.html#comment-384244 "But if you care to give it a closer look, you may understand that Python's main advantage is not seizable by feature and performance charts." -- Soni ...

[News] The MAFIAA and Jammie Thomas Unable to Settle

[News] Open Source Impact in Networking
Getting Over the Love-Hate Dynamic With Open Standards ,----[ Quote ] | While the number of companies installing all-SIP or all-open source | networks continues to grow, it's clear that the overall market | has not gotten over this love-hate relationship with open standards. `---- http://www.technewsworld.com/story/55830.html Still looking for the lockin while peers and customers prefer openness. Open Source Network Configuration Management ,----[ Quote ] | Open source projects have had a significant impact in areas such | as operating systems (Linux), databases (MySQL), web applicat...

[News] Microsoft Munchkinds Are Officially Criminals

[News] Free Software Business Shows Signs of Growth in Bad Economy

Good news and bad news!!
The Bad news is i am an IT Recruiter......The good news is that i have a great role for a developer with strong Python skills. Ideally along with that they will have Java and either an understanding of Agile development or experience in using Ruby. =A335 - =A345k, London Contact me for more information 01189897601 grant@connectionsrecruit.co.uk grant.bodie@gmail.com wrote: > The Bad news is i am an IT Recruiter......The good news is that i have > a great role for a developer with strong Python skills. > > Ideally along with that they will have Java and either an understanding...

[News] GNU/Linux faces challenges as it goes mainstream
Where does Linux go from here? ..---- | Linux is now mainstream -- so mainstream, in fact, that two of | the top three Linux distributions are commercially successful | operations, and the third aims to be. Every day, more and more | old-school IT firms shake off their initial doubts, get in line | behind their customers, and try Linux and other free software | projects. In the face of such success, will Linux remain true to | its free software ideals and to the community which created it? Or | will it morph into a corporate byproduct, driven by the bottom | line, and complacent with all f...