[News] Why Windows Desktop Cannot be Taken Seriously, Unlike GNU/Linux

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

6 things Microsoft needs to do before I’ll take Windows seriously

,----[ Quote ]
| While I’m going to address security later
| in this article, let me say one thing
| about Windows Updates: you need them. If
| you are
| not applying updates at least monthly, you
| will regret it, unless you’re one of those
| oddball system administrators who doesn’t
| MIND finding that your servers are part of
| a botnet, or have been turned into a porn
| server, or a spam server, or more on the
| stability side of things, are ridden with
| bugs that Microsoft has deemed worthy of
| fixing in a patch or a hotfix.
|
| As for my second truth there, in my
| experience Windows servers act “funny”
| when they’ve been up and running (and
| providing some service, not just sitting
| idle) for longer than a month or so. Odd
| things will happen… you might see some out
| of control paging file usage, bizarre
| error messages, services that are in some
| sort of “starting” or “shutting down”
| limbo (which only a reboot can fix), you
| know the drill.
|
| My point is, Windows servers need frequent
| reboots. If you’re a Windows IT person and
| you don’t think that only a month of
| uptime isn’t ridiculous, then you
| obviously haven’t done anything other than
| Windows in your data center, because I’m
| here to tell you: it’s nuts.
|
| Microsoft needs to address stability first
| and foremost, and while they’re at it, and
| while we’re on the subject of uptime, they
| need to engineer things in a way that
| won’t require a reboot for seemingly EVERY
| SINGLE UPDATE.
|
| My last maintenance evening I had to
| reboot one particular server four times in
| order for it to take all of its updates,
| and it had only been two weeks since its
| last round of them. That’s ridiculous. I
| can count on one hand the number of times
| I’ve actually HAD to reboot a Linux
| machine after applying pushed-out updates
| for it.
|
| [...]
|
| I always find it funny when I read
| articles that are mostly FUD that say
| things like “Linux is not ready for the
| desktop” and “not ready for the
| enterprise”, because as I just discussed,
| the reality of the situation is that well,
| neither is Windows. Whether you’re running
| XP or Windows 7, Server 2003 or Server
| 2008, you’ll find that compared to the
| alternatives, you’re running something
| that requires constant attention, constant
| hand holding, constant reboots, constant
| patching, constant reloading,
| troubleshooting, more hardware
| requirements, and more security-mindedness
| in your administrative approach, just to
| do its job.
`----

http://linuxcritic.wordpress.com/2010/05/25/6-things-microsoft-needs-to-do-before-ill-take-windows-seriously/

I've Installed Linux, Now What?

,----[ Quote ]
| How do you deliver the bad news to someone
| who is upset, technically unsavvy and has
| just overwritten their Windows system with
| Linux?
|
| He had installed a second hard disk in his
| system and wanted to put Linux there. The
| problem was that when he installed it, he
| did so to the primary (Windows) disk.
|
| I looked up a PC Recovery business in the
| phone book for him and politely told him,
| "Good luck." I unplugged my phone until
| the next morning.
|
| I'll never know what happened to that guy
| or if he ever recovered his files or his
| Windos system. But, it makes me wonder if
| that scenario could play out today with
| our newer, cooler, smarter installers.
| Could that happen on Ubuntu, for example
`----

http://www.daniweb.com/news/story286041.html

Recent:

Why GNU/Linux is ready for the Average User

,----[ Quote ]
| I find it amusing that people like to jump on
| the Ubuntu bashing bandwagon just because an
| installation (or some piece of setup) goes
| astray. Ever tell the average user they need to
| reinstall Windows? Nine times out of ten they
| will look at you side ways (or if your a tech
| such as myself they will ask you to do it for
| them). Does this make Windows less popular or a
| "not ready" operating system just because you
| need a professional (or someone with at least
| some know-how) to get it all installed and
| running properly? No, it does not. Why should
| the standard be any different for GNU/Linux?
|
| In short I'd like to say this: Linux is more
| than ready for the average user to be using,
| but just like any operating system it may be a
| bit much for the average user to get it setup
| and thats just fine if you ask me.
`----

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2009/12/is-linux-ready-for-average-user.html

Is Linux really that hard to use?

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is just different and once people have
| become used to the differences they have no
| problems. Sort of like driving an unfamiliar
| car for the first time. Some controls feel
| different or be in a different place. The car
| will handle differently to start off with yet
| once you become used to the different control
| positions and the handling characteristics you
| are just as confident as in your own car.
|
| Linux is not hard to use, just different.
`----

http://www.locutus.us/is-linux-hard-to-use

0
Reply Roy 5/27/2010 11:28:25 AM

See related articles to this posting

comp.os.linux.advocacy 118448 articles. 12 followers. Post

[News] Windows -- Unlike GNU/Linux -- Unready for Desktops

[News] Roku Shows GNU/Linux Desktop is Taken Very Seriously

[News] [Linux] Vista Out the Windows, GNU/Linux on the Desktop
Assembling the Linux PC ,----[ Quote ] | The Vista Out My Windows | | You may recall that I had a dual-boot setup with WinXP SP2 on the other | hard drive. Well, after I had the 8800GTS purring like a kitten under | Linux, I decided to work on the WinXP side. Windows should be easy, | right? After all, we're always fed that Windows has tons of seamless | hardware support... | | Wrong. This was the recipe for disaster. I have yet to get the | WinXP partition to boot, even in Safe Mode. Safe Mode should | bypass any driver compatibility issues by loading generic | drivers. The net res...

[News] Nortel to Ditch Windows for GNU/Linux Desktops?
Nortel considers Linux desktops for its staff ,----[ Quote ] | Nortel CIO Steve Bandrowczak, who joined the Canadian telecoms and network | equipment vendor last July, said "more and more CIOs are looking at Linux | desktop for reasons of TCO" and argued that the technology "is receiving the | same level of attention today as when Linux started on servers." `---- http://www.mbtmag.com/articleXml/LN731846314.html Related: FAA May Ditch Microsoft's Windows Vista And Office For Google And Linux Combo ,----[ Quote ] | Bowen said he's in talks with the avia...

[News] GNU/Linux Desktop Well in the Lead Over Windows

[News] Areas Where Desktop GNU/Linux Simply Beats Windows

[News] Standard Windows Desktop Very Poor Compared to GNU/Linux

[News] Windows Site Writes Positively About Desktop GNU/Linux

[News] List of Reasons Why GNU/Linux Desktop Trumps Windows

[News] VARs Talk About GNU/Linux versus Windows (Desktop)

[News] Windows Means More Things Break, Unlike GNU/Linux

[News] GNU/Linux Desktop Racing Upwards at the Expense of Windows

[News] Desktop GNU/Linux More Powerful Than Windows in Technical Terms

[News] Review of Desktop Environments/Windows Managers for GNU/Linux

[News] Windows-like Desktop Environment for GNU/Linux Released
Equinox Desktop Environment (EDE) 1.1 Released ,----[ Quote ] | After a year from 1.0.4, we are happy to announce a new release. It | comes with a lot of changes, following release of efltk to version 2.0.6. `---- http://ede.sourceforge.net/page/ Have a look at the screenshots. http://ede.sourceforge.net/page/screenshots ...

[News] Desktop Windows Needs to Catch up with GNU/Linux to be Adopted

[News] 2008: Year That GNU/Linux Hit the Windows Desktop

[News] Firefox Team Takes Desktop GNU/Linux Very Seriously
The Fox And The Penguin ,----[ Quote ] | While I am aware that there have already been numerous blog posts about how | we are upping the ante for Firefox 3 for Linux, I'd like to take my own turn. | I'm one of the people directly working on a lot of improvements to Firefox 3 | especially on Linux and I would like to summarize in this post what I have | done personally that you can all look forward to for Firefox 3. | | So who the hell am I and why should you care? I am a paid intern for Mozilla | over my summer holidays (that's the southern hemisphere summer) and for the...

[News] GNU/Linux Has Come Very Far on the Desktop, Works Better Than Windows

[News] GNU/Linux Desktop Makes Computing Simple (Windows Too Complicated)

[News] "Astounded" by Desktop GNU/Linux After Windows Failure

[News] Beijing to Migrate 50,000 Desktops from Windows to GNU/Linux
Beijing Co-Create Claims 50,000 Linux Desktops ,----[ Quote ] | Beijing Co-Create Open Source Software Co Ltd claims that it is in line | to migrate 50,000 Asian business and government desktops from Windows | to Co-Create Linux as clients migrate to Linux rather than Windows | Vista. `---- http://www.computerwire.com/industries/research/?pid=7363757F%2DF338%2D455F%2DA048%2DAFC63DBA0B03 Roy Schestowitz wrote: > Beijing Co-Create Claims 50,000 Linux Desktops > > ,----[ Quote ] > | Beijing Co-Create Open Source Software Co Ltd claims that it is in line > | to migrate 50,000 A...

[News] Multiseat GNU/Linux Desktops a Threat to Windows' Position

[News] Berlin Colleges Dumps Windows and Move to Desktop GNU/Linux