[News] Windows Vista: Delays, Delays, More Delays and Doubt

Microsoft's Vista faces delays as public tests continue

,----[ Quote ]
| David Bradshaw, principal analyst for Ovum, the technology research
| group, said that delays to the full release of Vista remained a danger,
| noting that such testing programmes are becoming increasingly normal. He
| said that public testing programmes were useful in highlighting problems
| of compatibility, where the software fails to work properly with certain
| printers, software programs or hardware.
|
| Although the discovery of a problem could force a rewrite, Mr Bradshaw
| said, "it would have to be a pretty major problem to derail (the release)".
`----

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9075-2384312,00.html

It seems like the next Windows ME. Maybe they can officially release it now
for everyone to become an alpha tester. It's nothing unprecedented or out of
the ordinary.

Related:

Microsoft wants more Vista testers

,----[ Feed Excerpt ]
| It hopes to have about 5 million testers checking out latest version
| of Windows update, as it tries to stamp out bugs.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6115744.html

Analysts: Microsoft Changes Meaning Of 'Release Candidate'

,----[ Quote ]
| Two industry watchers say Microsoft is corrupting the term, leading to
| major confusion among customers and others about whether the operating
| system is truly ready to evaluate.
|
| Two analysts Thursday accused Microsoft Corp. of changing the meaning
| of "release candidate" by pushing out a version of Windows Vista that
| still needs major work.
|
| [...]
|
| Joe Wilcox, an analyst with JupiterResearch, said that Microsoft's
| corrupted the term.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=192700055&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_News
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Microsoft's Vista faces delays as public tests continue
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | David Bradshaw, principal analyst for Ovum, the technology research
> | group, said that delays to the full release of Vista remained a danger,
> | noting that such testing programmes are becoming increasingly normal. He
> | said that public testing programmes were useful in highlighting problems
> | of compatibility, where the software fails to work properly with certain
> | printers, software programs or hardware.
> |
> | Although the discovery of a problem could force a rewrite, Mr Bradshaw
> | said, "it would have to be a pretty major problem to derail (the
> | release)".
> `----
>
> http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9075-2384312,00.html
>
> It seems like the next Windows ME. Maybe they can officially release it
> now for everyone to become an alpha tester. It's nothing unprecedented or
> out of the ordinary.
>
> Related:
>
> Microsoft wants more Vista testers
>
> ,----[ Feed Excerpt ]
> | It hopes to have about 5 million testers checking out latest version
> | of Windows update, as it tries to stamp out bugs.
> `----
>
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6115744.html
>

> Analysts: Microsoft Changes Meaning Of 'Release Candidate'
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Two industry watchers say Microsoft is corrupting the term, leading to
> | major confusion among customers and others about whether the operating
> | system is truly ready to evaluate.
> |
> | Two analysts Thursday accused Microsoft Corp. of changing the meaning
> | of "release candidate" by pushing out a version of Windows Vista that
> | still needs major work.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Joe Wilcox, an analyst with JupiterResearch, said that Microsoft's
> | corrupted the term.
> `----

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=192700055&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_News

5 million testers? Lets say 5 bugs per user, 25 million reports.

Thats impossible, the MS SQL datadase server couldn't cope with that rate of
data input. It seems to choke a little when you hit the 256000 data object
mark without a decent rest period (cacheing is all very well, but you have
to abandon the cache and just get writing the data at busy sometimes).

Perhaps someone could offer them a linux with MySQL on it for consolodating
their bug reports.

0
spam226 (1980)
10/2/2006 2:48:29 PM
__/ [ BearItAll ] on Monday 02 October 2006 15:48 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Microsoft's Vista faces delays as public tests continue
>>
>> <snip />

>> http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9075-2384312,00.html
>>
>> It seems like the next Windows ME. Maybe they can officially release it
>> now for everyone to become an alpha tester. It's nothing unprecedented or
>> out of the ordinary.
>>
>> Related:
>>
>> Microsoft wants more Vista testers
>>
>> ,----[ Feed Excerpt ]
>> | It hopes to have about 5 million testers checking out latest version
>> | of Windows update, as it tries to stamp out bugs.
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6115744.html
>>

>> <snip />

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=192700055&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_News

> 5 million testers? Lets say 5 bugs per user, 25 million reports.
>
> Thats impossible, the MS SQL datadase server couldn't cope with that rate
> of data input. It seems to choke a little when you hit the 256000 data
> object mark without a decent rest period (cacheing is all very well, but
> you have to abandon the cache and just get writing the data at busy
> sometimes).
>
> Perhaps someone could offer them a linux with MySQL on it for consolodating
> their bug reports.

Well, the Bugzilla concept has already been copied, so Internet Explorer
bugs, for example, can be handled in a way that involved the community of
users. Did I say /community/? *gasp*

Either way, in the above case, any tester would just become some
insignificant statistic rather than one heroic contributer. It's more like
an exploitation of lab rats rather than a request for kind attention and
borrowing of one's mind. That's the difference between being a Windows user
(tester) and being an opensuse tester the way I see it. You can actually
speak to the developer directly rather than send some insignificant 'pulse'
when your system hits a BSoD.

Best wishes,

Roy

--