[OT] Syllable OS?

Does anyone here use Syllable as a desktop OS? Is it good?

0
aquila.deus (1755)

begin On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 06:23:32 -0700, *  *  *   Y o u r  .  S h e p h
e r d  .  A q u i l a  .  D e u s  .  ( d 2 0 0 5 x x ,    d 2 0 0 4 x x ,
   d 2 0 0 3 x x ,    d 2 0 0 2 x x )   *  *  * wrote:

> Does anyone here use Syllable as a desktop OS? Is it good?

Up until 30 seconds ago, when I saw your post, I had never heard of
Syllable.  I thought first you were just trolling some bullshit, but I did
a google and found that indeed, and operating system called Syllable does
in fact exist.  However, It does look again like one of those here today
gone tomorrow OS projects. I remember having high hopes for BeOS, and got
very disapointed.  Stick with Linux, you know you're onto a winner.

--
Marc

marc3224 (24)
4/8/2005 1:42:57 PM
begin  Error log for Fri, 08 Apr 2005 16:42:57 +0300 - Marc caused a page
fault at address <pan.2005.04.08.13.42.34.921000@goaway.com>, details as
follows                             .vbs

> begin On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 06:23:32 -0700, *  *  *   Y o u r  .  S h e p
> h e r d  .  A q u i l a  .  D e u s  .  ( d 2 0 0 5 x x ,    d 2 0 0 4 x
> x ,
>    d 2 0 0 3 x x ,    d 2 0 0 2 x x )   *  *  * wrote:
>
>> Does anyone here use Syllable as a desktop OS? Is it good?
>
> Up until 30 seconds ago, when I saw your post, I had never heard of
> Syllable.  I thought first you were just trolling some bullshit, but I
> did a google and found that indeed, and operating system called Syllable
> does in fact exist.  However, It does look again like one of those here
> today gone tomorrow OS projects. I remember having high hopes for BeOS,
> and got very disapointed.  Stick with Linux, you know you're onto a
> winner.

The funny thing is, the same thing was said about Linux up until about a
couple years ago.

--
rapskat -  09:59:27 up 12:55,  7 users,  load average: 1.43, 1.49, 1.39
        "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a

0
rapskat2 (2033)
4/8/2005 2:00:07 PM
begin On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 10:00:07 -0400, rapskat wrote:

> begin  Error log for Fri, 08 Apr 2005 16:42:57 +0300 - Marc caused a page
> fault at address <pan.2005.04.08.13.42.34.921000@goaway.com>, details as
> follows                             .vbs
>
>> begin On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 06:23:32 -0700, *  *  *   Y o u r  .  S h e p
>> h e r d  .  A q u i l a  .  D e u s  .  ( d 2 0 0 5 x x ,    d 2 0 0 4 x
>> x ,
>>    d 2 0 0 3 x x ,    d 2 0 0 2 x x )   *  *  * wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone here use Syllable as a desktop OS? Is it good?
>>
>> Up until 30 seconds ago, when I saw your post, I had never heard of
>> Syllable.  I thought first you were just trolling some bullshit, but I
>> did a google and found that indeed, and operating system called Syllable
>> does in fact exist.  However, It does look again like one of those here
>> today gone tomorrow OS projects. I remember having high hopes for BeOS,
>> and got very disapointed.  Stick with Linux, you know you're onto a
>> winner.
>
> The funny thing is, the same thing was said about Linux up until about a
> couple years ago.

I've been using Linux on and off for 10 years.  I've always had confidence
in it.  BeOS on the other hand, put me off other OS projects, after its
failure. I will though take a look at Syllable.  They have a LiveCD, so
wont hurt to download it.

--
Marc

marc3224 (24)
4/8/2005 2:10:01 PM
Marc wrote:
> begin On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 06:23:32 -0700, *  *  *   Y o u r  .  S h e
p h
> e r d  .  A q u i l a  .  D e u s  .  ( d 2 0 0 5 x x ,    d 2 0 0 4
x x ,
>    d 2 0 0 3 x x ,    d 2 0 0 2 x x )   *  *  * wrote:
>
> > Does anyone here use Syllable as a desktop OS? Is it good?
>
> Up until 30 seconds ago, when I saw your post, I had never heard of
> Syllable.  I thought first you were just trolling some bullshit, but
I did
> a google and found that indeed, and operating system called Syllable
does
> in fact exist.

Too bad it fails to boot :(

> However, It does look again like one of those here today
> gone tomorrow OS projects. I remember having high hopes for BeOS, and
got
> very disapointed.  Stick with Linux, you know you're onto a winner.

But now I'm really tired of configuring everything myself. With windos
all I need to do is to prevent from virus, but with linux there are
always a lot of things I must deal with: chinese input, windos-specific
hardwares, and no SQL Server (my job needs it!), crap M$-Office
support, etc etc. I will probably choose XP or Mac OS/X for my coming
laptop.

0
aquila.deus (1755)
4/8/2005 3:07:08 PM
begin On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 08:07:08 -0700, *  *  *   Y o u r  .  S h e p h
e r d  .  A q u i l a  .  D e u s  .  ( d 2 0 0 5 x x ,    d 2 0 0 4 x x ,
   d 2 0 0 3 x x ,    d 2 0 0 2 x x )   *  *  * wrote:

[snip]

> Too bad it fails to boot :(
>
>> However, It does look again like one of those here today
>> gone tomorrow OS projects. I remember having high hopes for BeOS, and
> got
>> very disapointed.  Stick with Linux, you know you're onto a winner.
>
> But now I'm really tired of configuring everything myself. With windos
> all I need to do is to prevent from virus, but with linux there are
> always a lot of things I must deal with: chinese input, windos-specific
> hardwares, and no SQL Server (my job needs it!), crap M$-Office
> support, etc etc. I will probably choose XP or Mac OS/X for my coming
> laptop.

I tried it out for myself.  It failed to boot first time.  I've got two cd
drives, and for some reason, it prefered to boot off the secondary drive.
Go figure!

The screen refresh sucked in a big way, however it looks nice, and would
be useable to those who only need a light weight OS, if they can get it
as far as the beta stage, with much more hardware support than it does
now, and only after much more development has been done with it. I can see
a lot of former Amiga owners may have had some influence on the
gui design.

I like very much alternative operating systems, and I very much liked
BeOS, and felt bitter disapointment when it floundered.  I don't want
Linux to be the only serious alternative to Windows for the x86 platform.
But for right now, it is, and will be for some time to come.

--
Marc

marc3224 (24)