f



"When Microsoft lovers bash Microsoft"

Subject line says it all, really ...

http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS5876967065.html



Richard Rasker

-- 
Linetec Translation and Technology Services

http://www.linetec.nl/

0
spamtrap12 (1976)
4/23/2006 10:28:08 AM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 124139 articles. 3 followers. Post Follow

12 Replies
360 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 25

Richard Rasker wrote:
> Subject line says it all, really ...
>
> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS5876967065.html

If you have a rootkit on your system there is no safe way out but to
reinstall from a known good source. Does not matter which OS it is.

0
4/23/2006 12:20:50 PM
It was on Sun, 23 Apr 2006 12:28:08 +0200 when Richard Rasker posted this:

> Subject line says it all, really ...
> 
> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS5876967065.html
> 

<quote>
So, there you have it. A senior Microsoft employee saying that XP can be
so thoroughly compromised that you may have no choice but to destroy and
rebuild your PCs;
<unquote>

Of course, *instead* of rebuilding your windoze pc you could simply chuck
it out, then buy a *new* one, as Lew Tucker an "Internet industry
executive" advises. http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24690

My, MY! Now what was that about M$'s TCO being cheaper than linux?


-- 
WARNING! Do not drive your
vehicle after using Windows.
Frustration may be taken out
on other road users.
0
willpoast (5106)
4/23/2006 12:34:24 PM
Op Sun, 23 Apr 2006 05:20:50 -0700, schreef Markus Schoder:

> Richard Rasker wrote:
>> Subject line says it all, really ...
>>
>> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS5876967065.html
> 
> If you have a rootkit on your system there is no safe way out but to
> reinstall from a known good source. Does not matter which OS it is.

Yup, and *nix users/admins knew this decades ago already. The problem is
that installing rootkits on huge numbers of Windows computers is trivial,
while it's very difficult indeed on Linux computers. Even if average
computer nitwits users would switch to Linux in droves, rootkits still
wouldn't have much of a chance. The crude but quite effective system of
permissions prevents normal users from both executing arbitrary files, 
and changing any other files than their own.

And given the fact that even with detailed instructions, normal users find
it exceedingly difficult to run anything they can't simply click on, most
malware distributors will have a hard time tricking people into actually
executing their stuff.

Richard Rasker

-- 
Linetec Translation and Technology Services

http://www.linetec.nl/

0
spamtrap12 (1976)
4/23/2006 12:47:49 PM
William Poaster wrote:

> It was on Sun, 23 Apr 2006 12:28:08 +0200 when Richard Rasker posted this:
> 
> 
>>Subject line says it all, really ...
>>
>>http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS5876967065.html
>>
>>
> 
> <quote>
> So, there you have it. A senior Microsoft employee saying that XP can be
> so thoroughly compromised that you may have no choice but to destroy and
> rebuild your PCs;
> <unquote>
> 
> Of course, *instead* of rebuilding your windoze pc you could simply chuck
> it out, then buy a *new* one, as Lew Tucker an "Internet industry
> executive" advises. http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24690
> 
> My, MY! Now what was that about M$'s TCO being cheaper than linux?

They obviously mean the TCO of /that/ machine.  Changing the machine is a 
new machine and so has a new, different TCO and doesn't figure in the 
original TCO figure...
-- 
Outgoing mail certified virus free...
It has gone nowhere near a Windwos machine before my ISP.
I am the "ILOVEGNU" signature virus. Just copy me to your
signature.  This email was infected under the terms of the GNU
General Public Licence.

0
ReapNewsB (1408)
4/23/2006 1:15:09 PM
On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 05:20:50 -0700, Markus Schoder wrote:

> Richard Rasker wrote:
>> Subject line says it all, really ...
>>
>> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS5876967065.html
> 
> If you have a rootkit on your system there is no safe way out but to
> reinstall from a known good source. Does not matter which OS it is.

True, but then it is an almost trivial matter to install a distro of
Linux as opposed to doing a full from scratch Windows installation.

On decent hardware, you can install a full distro with all apps and
drivers and preservation of user data and settings in well under an hour
with one CD and one reboot.  Factor in updates and you are at around two
hours max.

With Windows you are at the two hour mark just getting the base
system+drivers+apps.  Several reboots, Lord knows how many discs, and you
still have all the updates and restoration of user data and settings to
look forward to.

Anyone who has done a deployment of both platforms knows there is no
comparison, Linux is by far the easier and faster.  So, in a worst case
scenario if a Linux system was compromised, it could be back up and
running in a couple hours at the most, probably less.

Unless of course you were running Gentoo ;-)

-- 
rapskat -  12:38:00 up 2 days, 17:00,  1 user,  load average: 0.55, 0.44, 0.36
bash.org    #89 - 
   <tmhaidnk> whoa i can submit my prayers via html based forms !

0
rapskat2 (2033)
4/23/2006 4:52:04 PM
On 2006-04-23, William Poaster <willpoast@jvyycbnfg.zr.hx> posted something concerning:
> It was on Sun, 23 Apr 2006 12:28:08 +0200 when Richard Rasker posted this:
>
>> Subject line says it all, really ...
>> 
>> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS5876967065.html
>> 
>
><quote>
> So, there you have it. A senior Microsoft employee saying that XP can be
> so thoroughly compromised that you may have no choice but to destroy and
> rebuild your PCs;
><unquote>
>
> Of course, *instead* of rebuilding your windoze pc you could simply chuck
> it out, then buy a *new* one, as Lew Tucker an "Internet industry
> executive" advises. http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24690
>
> My, MY! Now what was that about M$'s TCO being cheaper than linux?

I wonder if I could talk Lew into buying my dream machine to counter
spyware ad viruses. If he did and it failed to live up to the promise,
I could offer to take it off his hands for postage plus a few bucks for
his trouble.

-- 
We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has
powerful muscles, but no personality.
   --Einstein
0
sinister656 (2009)
4/23/2006 5:08:37 PM
After takin' a swig o' grog, rapskat belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> Anyone who has done a deployment of both platforms knows there is no
> comparison, Linux is by far the easier and faster.  So, in a worst case
> scenario if a Linux system was compromised, it could be back up and
> running in a couple hours at the most, probably less.

To be fair, though, you can use Ghost (although it isn't as fast and
easy as you'd expect.)

Or you can copy over the image file of your virtual billybox!

-- 
Kreegah! Bundolo Microsoft bolgani!
0
linonut2 (5242)
4/23/2006 6:44:04 PM
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 23 Apr 2006 05:20:50 -0700,
 Markus Schoder <a3vr6dsg-usenet@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Richard Rasker wrote:
>> Subject line says it all, really ...
>>
>> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS5876967065.html
>
> If you have a rootkit on your system there is no safe way out but to
> reinstall from a known good source. Does not matter which OS it is.
>

yes, and it's good that MS finally realizes that. It's take them long
enough.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2.2 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFES8/Yd90bcYOAWPYRAl/gAKDA7Mv8SPvgiveWsf5z117K5XuQVgCfYsJQ
cDKxQGXsEtOdpT6X693Vv8g=
=u6uy
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

-- 
Jim Richardson     http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock

Microsoft - because god hates us
0
warlock (9522)
4/23/2006 7:04:56 PM
On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 13:44:04 -0500, Linonut wrote:

> After takin' a swig o' grog, rapskat belched out this bit o' wisdom:
> 
>> Anyone who has done a deployment of both platforms knows there is no
>> comparison, Linux is by far the easier and faster.  So, in a worst case
>> scenario if a Linux system was compromised, it could be back up and
>> running in a couple hours at the most, probably less.
> 
> To be fair, though, you can use Ghost (although it isn't as fast and
> easy as you'd expect.)
> 
> Or you can copy over the image file of your virtual billybox!

I'm running the new alpha of Mepis now.  :-))

-- 
rapskat -  16:38:07 up 11 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.66, 0.58, 0.34
bash.org 

0
rapskat2 (2033)
4/23/2006 8:38:38 PM
On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:52:04 UTC, rapskat <rapskat@gmail.com> wrote:

-> True, but then it is an almost trivial matter to install a distro of
-> Linux as opposed to doing a full from scratch Windows installation.
-> 

And God forbid you only have an upgrade version of weeniepiss or an 
equally screwed factory image install discs that wipe out your entire 
drive to reinstall the entire piece of crud. 

Mark

-- 
From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

 http://www.os2voice.org
 Warpstock 2006, Windsor, Ontario, Canada,  Oct 12-15, 2006 - 
http://www.warpstock.org
0
4/23/2006 11:06:02 PM
It was on Sun, 23 Apr 2006 17:08:37 +0000 when Sinister Midget posted
this:

> On 2006-04-23, William Poaster <willpoast@jvyycbnfg.zr.hx> posted
> something concerning:
>> It was on Sun, 23 Apr 2006 12:28:08 +0200 when Richard Rasker posted
>> this:
>>
>>> Subject line says it all, really ...
>>> 
>>> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS5876967065.html
>>> 
>>> 
>><quote>
>> So, there you have it. A senior Microsoft employee saying that XP can be
>> so thoroughly compromised that you may have no choice but to destroy and
>> rebuild your PCs;
>><unquote>
>>
>> Of course, *instead* of rebuilding your windoze pc you could simply
>> chuck it out, then buy a *new* one, as Lew Tucker an "Internet industry
>> executive" advises. http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24690
>>
>> My, MY! Now what was that about M$'s TCO being cheaper than linux?
> 
> I wonder if I could talk Lew into buying my dream machine to counter
> spyware ad viruses. If he did and it failed to live up to the promise, I
> could offer to take it off his hands for postage plus a few bucks for his
> trouble.

Well you could try! :-)
The point I was getting at (about TCO) was that *if* these bozos are going
to "chuck it out" every so often & buy a new one, whereas a linux user
can happily carry on without worrying about that kind of thing for *years*
(yes, I know of some linux users who are still running 7.3!), IMO they are
getting *more* Value For Money than the windoze (l)user, & their "Cost of
Ownership" is *considerably* less than that of windoze. So in theory (?)
you could have one happy linux user who's used his same machine for 3 or
4 years, as opposed to a windoze user who's chucked his out almost every
year & spent say about $600 each time... You can do a lot of other
things with the $1,800 - $2,400 that's been *needlessly* chucked away,
just because you've used teh *wrong* OS! <grin>

As for Mike Danseglio (Microsoft security officer) who says:-
"..firms should think about establishing a process for backup and
recovering rather than relying on anti-virus tools as a way of recovering
from malware infection. When you are dealing with rootkits and some
advanced spyware programs, the only solution is to rebuild from scratch."
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04/05/ms_security_mea_culpa/

Uh, yeah, just imagine if M$ made systems for machine-tools, the cost of
teh downtime & lost production on a couple of hundred machines while
*that's* done. A survey by EE Times, showed that fewer than 1% of
embedded-systems engineers say they use Windows to run real-time
applications. In this environment you need software which needs to respond
to commands within fractions of a second. By contrast, 58% of respondents
say they use homegrown systems, and 28% run VxWorks, the real-time
operating system from Wind River Systems Inc., who also use & sell
commercial grade linux. 
 

-- 
WARNING! Do not drive your
vehicle after using Windows.
Frustration may be taken out
on other road users.
0
willpoast (5106)
4/24/2006 10:48:51 AM
Jim Richardson wrote:

....
> On 23 Apr 2006 05:20:50 -0700,
>  Markus Schoder <a3vr6dsg-usenet@yahoo.de> wrote:
> 
>>Richard Rasker wrote:
>>
>>>Subject line says it all, really ...
>>>
>>>http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS5876967065.html
>>>
>>If you have a rootkit on your system there is no safe way out but to
>>reinstall from a known good source. Does not matter which OS it is.
> 
> yes, and it's good that MS finally realizes that. It's take them long
> enough.

Or is it MS just giving a different spin on all the reinstallations that MS 
retailers/fixers have been doing for all these years?

0
ReapNewsB (1408)
4/24/2006 11:20:37 AM
Reply: