"X-Fi" only designed to overcome limitations of Windows XP - useless on Vista, 7, Mac or Linux

Well, well. You live and learn:

[quote]
The X-Fi chipset uses an internal resampling algorithm that was designed
to work around the audio limitations of Windows XP (kmixer). The Windows
XP architecture by default resampled all signals to 48KHz. Because such
a resampling is lossy, and kmixer is a low quality integer resampler,
the X-Fi was designed to alleviate the quality loss by overriding it
with its own, higher quality resampler.

For Windows Vista and 7, the audio architecture was rebuilt (now using
high quality floating point calculations and capable of versatile sample
rates and bit-for-bit playback) and now the X-Fi algorithms are to the
detriment of sound quality, rather than beneficial.

The X-Fi is a fossil, but if you are still using Windows XP, no doubt
it's among the best.
[/quote]

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/284378-10-creative-titanium-champion-asus-xonar-essence#t2127660

Meanwhile, ALSA has supported 24 and 32 bit audio for years:
 http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/group___p_c_m.html#g3df0b888477ce2dc3817d9095db859b1

Also note: Over 60% of Windows users are still using the "fossil" XP OS.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/os-market-share.aspx?qprid=11#

So 60% of Windows users suffer "low quality" audio.

Good to know.

--
K.
http://slated.org

..----
| You can't make an omelet without building some bridges
| ... but don't count your bridges until they've hatched
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.31.5
 12:22:07 up 11 days, 19:40,  1 user,  load average: 0.10, 0.07, 0.02
0
usenet3690 (8688)

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:22:34 +0100, Homer <usenet@slated.org> wrote:

>Meanwhile, ALSA has supported 24 and 32 bit audio for years:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/group___p_c_m.html#g3df0b888477ce2dc3817d9095db859b1

Yea...
The problem is finding a modern card that Alsa supports.
--
Moshe Goldfarb
Linux...Disappointing users for 19 years.

[News] Chrome on GNU/Linux "Ridiculously Faster" Than on Mac OS X and Windows

Linux crapware is "rubbish... Windows 7 makes Linux look so yesterday"
Not yesterday... yestercentury. "What absolute nonsense! Fair enough, Windows may have its share of issues, but Linux's product is rubbish. I was a passionate user of it but gave up, it just become too hard! I may be in the minority, but I find Windows Vista fine, and I was running the beta of Windows 7, which is really good. Makes Linux look so yesterday..." http://sinaisix.blogspot.com/2009/08/5-things-microsoft-does-not-want-you-to.html On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:57:59 -0400, DFS wrote: > Not yesterday... yestercentury. > > > "What absolute nonsense! Fair enough, Windows may have its share of > issues, but Linux's product is rubbish. I was a passionate user of it > but gave up, it just become too hard! I may be in the minority, but I > find Windows Vista fine, and I was running the beta of Windows 7, which > is really good. Makes Linux look so yesterday..." > > > http://sinaisix.blogspot.com/2009/08/5-things-microsoft-does-not-want- you-to.html What do you think you are accomplishing? -- Rick On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:30:57 -0500, Rick wrote: > On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:57:59 -0400, DFS wrote: > >> Not yesterday... yestercentury. >> >> >> "What absolute nonsense! Fair enough, Windows may have its share of >> issues, but Linux's product is rubbish. I was a passionate user of it >> but gave up, it just become too hard! I may be in the minority, bu...

Posted by Kier
Posted by Kier - "why I moved from Linux to Mac OS X" Like many, I started with Windows � 95 through to XP. At age 11-12 I toyed with a number of Linux distributions: Mandriva/Mandrake, RHEL, Debian, Gentoo� until I finally settled with Ubuntu. After dual booting for a year or so I finally rid myself of Windows entirely. I stuck with Ubuntu for 4 years and then made the switch from Linux to Mac OS X via means of a OSx86 hackintosh � OS X installed on custom PC hardware. After two years of running OSx86 hackintosh I finally bought a cheap Macbook Pro, which I still use 2 year...

"Heroes" again, or "Linux in the Wild" or "Linux on TV", this time with screenshots
Allrighty, doubters and wintrolls. I've posted some screen shots from the KDE appearance on NBC's new series "Heroes" http://www.newtnotes.com/?itemid=189&catid=3 Linux in the wild. What more proof do you need? later... -- JDS | jeffrey@go.away.com | http://www.newtnotes.com DJMBS | http://newtnotes.com/doctor-jeff-master-brainsurgeon/ JDS wrote: > Allrighty, doubters and wintrolls. I've posted some screen shots from the > KDE appearance on NBC's new series "Heroes" > > http://www.newtnotes.com/?itemid=189&catid=3 ...

Posted by Kier
Posted by Kier - "why I moved from Linux to Mac OS X" Like many, I started with Windows � 95 through to XP. At age 11-12 I toyed with a number of Linux distributions: Mandriva/Mandrake, RHEL, Debian, Gentoo� until I finally settled with Ubuntu. After dual booting for a year or so I finally rid myself of Windows entirely. I stuck with Ubuntu for 4 years and then made the switch from Linux to Mac OS X via means of a OSx86 hackintosh � OS X installed on custom PC hardware. After two years of running OSx86 hackintosh I finally bought a cheap Macbook Pro, which I still use 2 year...

[News] Kubuntu Linux on Apple Macintosh "Snappier" Than Mac OS X
Kubuntu on Apple. The good and the bad. ,----[ Quote ] | OS X has a much faster boot up time, but after you have booted up, | regular programs started up slow. Macs do have an advantage here | in that when you open a program - the program leaves a trail that | OS X commits to memory for that session - then when you reopen the | same program, the program starts much faster. | | Kubuntu, on the other hand, takes about three minutes to boot. Once | it boots, though, the programs are comparatively snappy. This was | especially true with Open Office 2.0 which has a notoriously long | startup on any platform. With OS X it takes about one minute before | it becomes usable, with Kubuntu, it was about 30 seconds. Though, | there is no speed gain on reopening of programs like on OS X. `---- http://aprigliano.blogspot.com/2007/01/kubuntu-on-apple-good-and-bad.html begin oe_protect.scr Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused: > Kubuntu on Apple. The good and the bad. > > ,----[ Quote ] >| OS X has a much faster boot up time, but after you have booted up, >| regular programs started up slow. Macs do have an advantage here >| in that when you open a program - the program leaves a trail that >| OS X commits to memory for that session - then when you reopen the >| same program, the program starts much faster. >| >| Kubuntu, on the other hand, takes about three minutes to boot. Once >| it boots, though, the programs are comparativel...

Recent "Security Update" trends
Today I downloaded and installed "Security Update 2004-04-05" on my Mac (I'm running Mac OS X 10.2.8). Out of curiosity I compared my recent Mac OS X security update history to that of my Windows XP machine. Since December 2003, I've installed the following security/critical updates on each system: *** Mac OS X *** 2003-12-08 "Security Update 2003-11-19" (1.0) 2003-12-08 "Security Update 2003-12-05" (1.0) 2004-01-14 "Security Update 2003-12-19" (1.0) 2004-02-03 "Security Update 2004-01-26" (1.0) 2004-03-08 "Security Update 2004-02-23" (1.0) 2004-04-09 "Security Update 2004-04-05" (1.0) *** Windows XP *** 2003-12-11 Security Update for Windows XP (KB810217) 2004-01-14 Security Update for Microsoft Data Access Components (KB832483) 2004-02-03 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB832894) 2004-02-10 Critical Update for Windows (KB833407) 2004-02-10 Security Update for Windows XP (KB828028) So, since December 2003 I've installed six Mac OS X Security Updates vs five Windows XP Security/Critical Updates. It doesn't look like either OS has a security advantage over the other. If Macs were as popular as Windows, and therefore were as large a target of attacks, there's little evidence that Macs would be any less vulnerable than Windows. Macs are more "secure" because nobody targets them, pure and simple. Security via obscurity. ;-) Can anybody h...

"Suse Linux is ideal"..."Linux is perfect for anything"
"Conclusion SuSE Linux is ideal for anyone. Plain and simple. If your PC is reasonably new and has a large-ish hard drive Linux is perfect for anything." http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00006JT8L/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful/279-0064730-3629436?ie=UTF8&coliid=&showViewpoints=1&colid=&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending It just w.... ...

[News] Mainsoft Calls Mono with Linux "Linux 2.0"; Windows Becomes More Like Linux
Starting flag waved for Race to Linux 2.0 ,----[ Quote ] | In a bid to highlight the ease with which applications can be ported | to Linux, the Mono project IBM and Mainsoft will host the 'Race | to Linux 2.0'. `---- http://www.pcpro.co.uk/os/news/106826/starting-flag-waved-for-race-to-linux-20.html Shouldn't this be the other way around? Something like this... Linuxification of an XP desktop ,----[ Quote ] | His case is not the ideal one: keeping Windows for playing specific | games. Some other use cases are more legitimate though: | | * Having a Windows XP desktop at wo...

Linux "advocate$": "We love Windows money!"
That's why you insist on making a living with Windows your entire lives. Hypocrites. On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 00:18:58 -0400, DFS wrote: > That's why you insist on making a living with Windows your entire lives. > > Hypocrites. It's true..... You know, in my field, entertainment, we have the Mac crowd and the Windows crowd and while we respect each other no Machead will be caught with a Windows machine and vis-verse. We also don't have the stupid wars that go on with Linux vs Windows etc. We respect each other. I look at COLA and instantly it's a complete farce because most of the Linux loons are really using Windows to earn their living. Gee, if Linux is so great, why not use Linux? Moshe Goldfarb wrote: > On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 00:18:58 -0400, DFS wrote: > >> That's why you insist on making a living with Windows your entire >> lives. >> >> Hypocrites. > > It's true..... > You know, in my field, entertainment, we have the Mac crowd and > the Windows crowd and while we respect each other no Machead > will be caught with a Windows machine and vis-verse. > > We also don't have the stupid wars that go on with Linux vs > Windows etc. > > We respect each other. > > I look at COLA and instantly it's a complete farce because most > of the Linux loons are really using Windows to earn their > living. > > Gee, if Linux is so great, why not use Linux? For mos...

Another piece of crap Linux liar: "Zorin-OS is tested to be around 4 times faster than Windows 7."
http://www.zorin-os.webs.com/ Where's the beef? Gawd. DFS wrote: > http://www.zorin-os.webs.com/ > > Where's the beef? Gawd. I played with that distro for a few hours. 4 times faster than Win7, my ass. -- Best regards, [tv] Owner, Trollus Amongus LLC U X e dUdX, e dX, cosine, secant, tangent, sine, 3.14159... Tattoo Vampire wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties: > DFS wrote: > >> http://www.zorin-os.webs.com/ >> >> Where's the beef? Gawd. > > I played with that distro for a few hours. 4 times faster than Win7, my ass. DFS is still a piece of crap anti-Linux liar, though. :-D I'm not sure where the 4x claim came from, though. Check out this review: http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/214928/5_reasons_to_try_zorin_os_linux.html It echoes the claim, without qualification. Sounds like K. Noyes is a lot more gullible than DFS is. -- I will not drink! But if I do... I will not get drunk! But if I do... I will not in public! But if I do... I will not fall down! But if I do... I will fall face down so that they cannot see my company badge. On 3/15/2011 6:13 PM, Tattoo Vampire wrote: > DFS wrote: > >> http://www.zorin-os.webs.com/ >> >> Where's the beef? Gawd. > > I played with that distro for a few hours. 4 times faster than Win7, my ass. I sent the "developer" a nasty-gram asking him for proof - like I do when any cola idiot m...

Ubuntu Lurid crapware: "hard locks...very troubling...Linux is very much flawed...XP/Vista/7 don't crash"
"I installed 10.4.1 fresh on my Thinkpad T510 with Intel HD graphics (not Nvidia). I have random freezes. It happens most of the time after standby. I wake it up I can start typing the unlock password and it freezes. Only hard reset possible after this. Nothing else works. Also sometimes when I leave the laptop unattended for a minute and come back it is frozen. This happened less often then the wakeup bug. I really don't understand how the stability of a distribution like Ubuntu doesn't improve over time. Do they basically start from scratch with every new release? It certainly seems to me to be the case. With every release a couple of bugs disappeared but a couple of new bugs appeared. I test now since 7.10 every release and the quality in terms of bugs has not increased. Feature-wise it is a little better. Still. This situation is very troubling. Somewhere in the development concept of Linux, the kernel, the drivers or simply how distributions are put together, is very much flawed. In know Linux is complex and all but similarly complex projects really evolve over time and get better and better (just to name Windows, OSX, Eclipse). Can somebody explain to me why this isn't the case with Linux/Ubuntu? I don't ask for much. Just no crashes please. With WinXP, Vista and Win7 I didn't have crashes like that running those OSses on about 10 different machines over the years." #929 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=14787...

Python Paramiko between Linux and Windows Server -- no output obtained from Windows for "dir" or "cd" commands
Hello There: I am using Python 2.7.6 and Paramiko module (on a Linux server) to connect = to a Windows server and send some commands and get output. I have a connect= function which takes IP, username and password of the remote Windows serve= r and I get an sshobj when that happens. How do I use it to send remote cal= ls is my question? If it were a local system, I would just say "os.system" but not sure about = the remote calls. Can someone help? My code looks like below: sys.path.append("/home/me/code") import libs.ssh_connect as ssh ssh_obj =3D ssh.new_conn(IP, username, password) stdin, stdout, stderr =3D ssh_obj.exec_command("dir") #since the remote = system I am SSHing into is Windows. my "new_conn" looks like this: import paramiko def new_conn(IP, username, password): ssh_obj =3D paramiko.SSHClient() ssh_conn.set_missing_host_key_policy(paramiko.AutoAddPolicy()) ssh_conn.connect(IP, username, password), timeout=3D30) return ssh_obj =09 if I replaced "dir" with "ipconfig" it works fine. I wonder how I can make = "dir" work - or for that matter.. with "cd /path/to/dir"? I know for paramiko's ssh connection to work, i need cygwin installed on a = Windows. Objective is to run commands remotely from a Linux to a Windows se= rver and then process the output again on Linux server or on Windows itself= .. I am confused becaus...

Win7: "almost a dream OS", Linux: "WHAT A NIGHTMARE !!!"
"It's nicer than Vista, faster than XP -- almost a dream OS." http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9136192/Windows_7_How_low_can_you_go_?taxonomyId=89&pageNumber=3 "Of importance in the spec was 8GB RAM and I speced a NVidia 8600 GTS graphics card .... WHAT A NIGHTMARE !!! Since then ... I�ve installed various flavors of Linux and continually had lockups/hard freezes (No Num Lock or Caps lock... and you can�t ping the machine). Flavors of Linux that I tried were Ubuntu (7.04 64bit, 7.10 32bit and 64bit, 8.04 Alpha4 64bit), Debian Etch 64bit, Debian Lenny 64bit. All experienced random lockups." http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=587905&highlight=freeze&page=60 Moshe Goldfarb wrote: > Notice the latest FUD from the Linux community. Sounds the same as the earlier FUD from the Linux "community". > Windows 7 = Vista = no improvements while Ubuntu has gone > through xxyy versions since then. And they're now on the 12th unfinished release of Fedora crapware. > Yea, what they don't tell you is that Ubuntu has actually gotten > *worse* with each new release. > > The Ubuntu forums clearly show this. Yep. The Jaunty Crapalope freezing thread now has nearly 600 posts. 1/3 of the victims polled had install or upgrade problems they were unable to fix. sniff, sniff... Micoshaft Appil asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock DFS wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Appil Dep...

"X is a Windows User, so cannot be a Linux User"
See subject. It's an idiotic fallacy, and a strawman. Why is that a fallacy? Because a) This newsfroup isn't "comp.os.linux.desktop.advocacy", and b) A lot of people use Windows on their desktop to manage Linux servers. Personally, I use Linux Mint as a desktop (still transitioning away from Fedora), though I do boot to Win 7 to play Borderlands 2. Does that make me "not a real Linux user?" Of course not. I even have bl2 running in wine. That works, but the performance isn't as good as running a game in the OS that it was written for. Hopefully, Gearbox will take Valve's initiative to bootstrap Steam games on Linux as an opportunity to port bl2 to Linux. Valve has already ported tf2 to Linux, and steam is in open beta now, which I have running right now on my Mint desktop. Running Borderlands 2 on Linux gives me more flexibility in my systems environment, including different ways to stream to twitch.tv. It's a real shame there isn't a native port (yet?). Hopefully someday. But let's have no more of this "X uses Windows, so they shouldn't be posting to COLA." Anyone making such a statement only undermines their own legitimacy -- especially since it seems to be uttered by Linux anti-advocate Windoze zealots. (Hypocrisy, much?) Finally, for the backwards yokel that says the Linux desktop "hasn't changed in 20 years" -- how can anybody take what you say seriou...

Dumping Windows for GNU/Linux Because it "is Lovely", "Ready for Primetime!"

Any good books on "Linux Socket prog", also on "Linux Network prog"?
Guys: Any good books on "Linux Socket programming", also on "Linux Network programming"?. Any valuable on-line tutorials. Appreciated. GS wrote: > Guys: > > Any good books on "Linux Socket programming", also on "Linux Network > programming"?. Any valuable on-line tutorials. Appreciated. I have never seen one, but since sockets on Linux are basically standard BSD or Unix sockets, try searching for "Unix socket programming" or "Berkeley socket programming". -- Phil Frisbie, Jr. Hawk Software http://www.hawksoft.com Does "Unix socket programming" by Richard Stevens book can be used for Linux socket programming too?. Thanks. Especially looking for beginner who wants to enter into Linux programming (Network side), looking for some books which tells basics Especially looking for beginner who wants to enter into Linux programming (Network side), looking for some books which tells basics GS wrote: > Especially looking for beginner who wants to enter into Linux > programming (Network side), looking for some books which tells basics > I don't want to put a dampener on your enthusiasm, but if you are wanting to do it properly the POSIX way, I wouldn't even consider it unless you are comfortable programming 'C' at the level of understanding how pointers work. You could always consider Java - piece of cake in Java! Steve Is there any on-line text books availa...

[News] Hadrons Running on GNU/Linux, "Linux is our OS of choice"

[News] Linux 2.6.32 in Review, "Linux is Not an OS"

20 years of Linux Advocacy, who are those self anointed Linux "advocates"?
Most lies told: Roy "Spammer" Spamowitz (10 ahead of Liarmutt) Rudest poster: Peter K�hlmann (called people "retards" 289 times/ "idiot' 512 times), <Tattoo Vampire just has to try harder!> Thickest poster: (W)Ron(g)B (awarded for life btw as obviously no one is ever going to pip him). Pettiest "Net Nanny" and most pursing of lips: Willy "Filters" Boaster, ex aequo chrisv / HPT Poster most liable to send you to sleep: Rex Ballard Most incomprehensible poster: Jebbediah Biggest "it's ok to steal things" GPL offender: Andrew "I have a degree" Halliwell Poster most up his own arse: Mark Kent Most paranoid clown: [Homer] Most useless poster (20 gigabytes of other peoples work) : High Plains Rafael/Thumper/Wendy. Poster most likely to be put in a strait jacket and carted off : 7. Lifetime stupidity award: Terry Telnet and Gortard (hard to decide who's the biggest cretin.) -- Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead "By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory." [............] "Ultimately, Linux is doomed on the desktop because of a critical lack of content. And that lack of content owes its existence to two key factors: the fragmentation of the Linux platform, and the fierce ideology of the open-source community at large." http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.h...

[News] Linux "A Very Reliable Replacement for Windows and Mac"
Crossing the OS Divide With Linux ,----[ Quote ] | I spent the last few weeks determining whether I could use Linux | as a serious working environment rather than as the interesting | distraction it first appeared to be. My computing tasks are very | different from corporate entities using Linux servers to run | company networks. I discovered that Linux is a very reliable | replacement for the Windows and Mac platforms. `---- http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/54700.html ...

[News] Mac OS: "Linux with Bling-Bling"
Apple & Linux: Bling-Bling versus the Real Thing ,----[ Quote ] | Those of us who care about genuine value and quality have better things to | do than buy pretty toys; Linux still continues to offer better value | and performance than anything produced by Microsoft or Apple and still | looks good while doing it. `---- http://www.linuxextremist.com/?p=63 In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote on Wed, 26 Jul 2006 14:36:14 +0100 <1416825.HiScH1s2Xh@schestowitz.com>: > Apple & Linux: Bling-Bling versus the Re...

Web resources about - "X-Fi" only designed to overcome limitations of Windows XP - useless on Vista, 7, Mac or Linux - comp.os.linux.advocacy