2004: IBM embraces Linux internally. 2011: IBM is 90% Windows on the desktop

Jan 2004: "Our chairman has challenged the IT organization, and indeed
all of IBM, to move to a Linux based desktop before the end of 2005.
The Inquirer (http://s.tt/14VpY)

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1041089/internal-memo-confirms-ibm-linux-desktop

Dec 29 2010: "The Windows XP Client for eBusiness is currently the most
dominant and I would estimate it to be used by over 90% of the employee
population (350,000+ people)."

http://www.quora.com/IBM/What-percentage-of-employees-at-IBM-use-Linux-vs-Windows-or-Mac-as-their-day-to-day-OS-laptop-desktop

Linux: the desktop OS nobody wants or needs.

0
nospam2091 (10001)

On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 19:47:48 -0500, DFS wrote:

> Jan 2004: "Our chairman has challenged the IT organization, and indeed
> all of IBM, to move to a Linux based desktop before the end of 2005.
> The Inquirer (http://s.tt/14VpY)
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1041089/internal-memo-confirms-ibm-linux-desktop
>

> Dec 29 2010: "The Windows XP Client for eBusiness is currently the most
> dominant and I would estimate it to be used by over 90% of the employee
> population (350,000+ people)."
>
> http://www.quora.com/IBM/What-percentage-of-employees-at-IBM-use-Linux-vs-Windows-or-Mac-as-their-day-to-day-OS-laptop-desktop
>

> Linux: the desktop OS nobody wants or needs.

IBM is doing a major rollout of new corporate laptops because most
people are still 32 bit.

They have settled on Windows 7 x64 because Linux was a disaster.

Let's see what Rex has to say........

--
flatfish+++
PLEASE VISIT OUR HALL OF LINUX IDIOTS:
flatfish+++ wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 19:47:48 -0500, DFS wrote:
>
>> Jan 2004: "Our chairman has challenged the IT organization, and
>> indeed all of IBM, to move to a Linux based desktop before the end
>> of 2005. The Inquirer (http://s.tt/14VpY)
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1041089/internal-memo-confirms-ibm-linux-desktop
>>

>> Dec 29 2010: "The Windows XP Client for eBusiness is currently the
>> most dominant and I would estimate it to be used by over 90% of the
>> employee population (350,000+ people)."
>>
>> http://www.quora.com/IBM/What-percentage-of-employees-at-IBM-use-Linux-vs-Windows-or-Mac-as-their-day-to-day-OS-laptop-desktop
>>

>> Linux: the desktop OS nobody wants or needs.
>
> IBM is doing a major rollout of new corporate laptops because most
> people are still 32 bit.
>
> They have settled on Windows 7 x64 because Linux was a disaster.
>
> Let's see what Rex has to say........

And how he enjoyed the Old Host: Windows 2000 Pro (c4eb configuration) many
years before XP.
Seems that Rex Ballard is a long time every day Windows desktop user as
well.

0
clogwog (1758)

IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Expr
IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Express Edition v1.3.2 Win, IBM Tivoli System Automation v1.2.0 Linux, IBM Tivoli Workload Scheduler Virtualized Data Centers v8.2 [2 CDs], other IBM Tivoli CDs, WEBSPHERE EVERYPLACE MOBILE PORTAL v5.0 - ALTIUM [2 CDs], other IBM WebSphere Business CDs (Windows, Linux) CDs, IBM Integration Server v5.1 [2 CDs], IBM Telecom Toolkit for WebSphere Studio V1.3.5, IBM Frame2000 V5.5, Peoplesoft Peopletools v8.45 [5 CDs] for DB2 UDB for OS/390, and for DB2 UDB for Unix, Macromedia ColdFusion MX V6.0.1 for IBM WebSphere Application Server, Macromedia ColdFusion MX for J2EE, other IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2 17/Sep/2004 WEBSPHERE BUSINESS INTEGRATION CONNECT ADVANCED v4.2.2 - IBM CD NR 16 297 DW v1.2 DB2 UDB Enterprise Edition V7.2.10a - IBM Tivoli CD NR 16 110 IBM DB2 UDB Enterprise Server Edition v8.2 16 053 Peoplesoft Peopletools v8.45 - Peoplesoft [5 CDs] 16 029 Sybase:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-456rm4 Microsoft SQL Server:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-457py4 DB2 UDB for OS/390:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-45auo5 Oracle:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-452o1s Informix:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-453x5w DB2 UDB for Unix, NT:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-454yc...

[...]

[News] IBM and IBM VP Moves Beyond Windows and to GNU/Linux
Life after Windows, Day 1 ,----[ Quote ] | This last weekend I wiped the second half of the laptop hard drive and | installed the IBM internal Open Client for Linux. It has everything I need | for work: Lotus Notes, Lotus Symphony, Lotus SameTime, and a couple of ways | to get through the firewall. The Windows partition remains on the machine, | for now, but I plan to live on the Red Hat Linux client as best I can (see | below). `---- http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=2105 IBM fills PCs with eastern promise ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft has long been striving for some love f...

Linux, Linux, Linux

IBM Linux desktop (blue desktop)
Has anyone heard any recent news about the IBM Linux desktop (blue desktop) project......??? So far I have not heard any info from any IBM employees. I have gotten the impression recently that IBM is returning to viewing Linux as primarilly for server applications. On the otherhand it could be that IBM is waiting for the market to develop...... On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:46:51 -0700, Randall Shimizu wrote: > Has anyone heard any recent news about the IBM Linux desktop (blue > desktop) project......??? So far I have not heard any info from any IBM > employees. I have gotten the impress...

[News] [Linux] IBM Brings Linux to AIX and i5/OS Machines Using New Software
IBM Previews Virtualization Management Tool for Power-Based Boxes ,----[ Quote ] | ...Virtual Availability Manager, within the Systems Director | Virtualization Manager tool will allow customers who deploy a Xen | hypervisor on their Linux-on-X64 servers to create what IBM is | calling a "high availability farm" that can be used to rehost | virtual machine partitions that are taken out by crashes. `---- http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh062507-story07.html On Jun 25, 11:06 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@schestowitz.com> wrote: > IBM Previews Virtualization Management To...

IBM and the Linux Desktop...
When IBM cuts over, many other companies will say, "if they can do it and save BIG BUCKS, we can do it." http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13485 Looking like 2004 is the year of the penguin's desktop! Ralph <not@chance.org> wrote: >When IBM cuts over, many other companies will say, "if they can do it and >save BIG BUCKS, we can do it." > >http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13485 > >Looking like 2004 is the year of the penguin's desktop! ibm also moved all desktops to os/2 years ago, and look what happed ... lol. ----== Posted via N...

{News] IBM chooses embedded Windows OS for new point of sale systems, rejects Linux
http://www.ddj.com/blog/embeddedblog/archives/2008/02/microsoft_ibm_t.html "Microsoft also announced strong growth of Windows Embedded in the retail market. According to a recent report published by IHL Group, the total number of Windows Embedded Point of Service users in North American grew by 250 percent in 2007. In a second study with RIS News, IHL also found that 63 percent of retailers were seriously considering a Windows Embedded operating system for their next POS purchase." Looks like Linux is just a bridesmaid once again. Alas! "amicus_curious" <ACDC...

FYI: Download link for IBM SDK's on AIX, Linux, OS/2, zOS, Windows
FYI. Been a FAQ on newsgroups. http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/ For Java Performance, check the SPEC website at www.spec.org SPECjvm98 : client side java performance SPECjbb2000: server side java performance SPECjAppServer: J2EE performance tx -- Saket Rungta In comp.lang.java.advocacy, saket <nomail@hursley.ibm.com> wrote on Wed, 01 Oct 2003 15:13:32 +0100 <bleneh$uic$1@sp15at20.hursley.ibm.com>: > FYI. Been a FAQ on newsgroups. > > http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/ > > For Java Performance, check the SPEC website at www.sp...

IBM Linux chief: Chasing desktop Windows a 'dead-end'
<quote> LinuxCon 2009 IBM says that battling for desktop market share against Windows is a "dead-end" for Linux. Sutor drew up several possible futures for the Linux desktop in the years ahead, including Linux going away altogether, one distribution dominating Linux desktops, one distro dominating all desktops, Linux reaching parity with Microsoft and Apple, and desktop Linux disappearing altogether and making the whole issue moot. "Most people say, 'I don't want to be bothered. It just works. I want to do the other parts of my job, and I want to go home,&...

IBM hates Linux (by Oracle)--further Linux fragmentation
Not good for the Linux franchise. RL This weekend's Herald Tribune- BOSTON (Reuters) - IBM (IBM.N: Quote, Profile , Research) is not ready to guarantee that its computer programs are compatible with Oracle Corp.'s (ORCL.O: Quote, Profile , Research) recently launched version of the Linux operating system, an IBM spokesman said on Friday. This means that if IBM software programs turn out to be incompatible with Oracle Enterprise Linux, then it will be up to Oracle -- and not IBM -- to resolve the issue, said IBM spokesman Matthew McMahon. Oracle, which started selling Linux in October, has said its product is identical to one from Red Hat Inc. (RHT.N: Quote, Profile , Research), the No. 1 vendor of the popular open-source operating system, and will seamlessly run software written for the Red Hat system. But financial and industry analysts have said that software buyers want outside assurances to back up that claim before they will switch to Oracle. IBM may one day support Oracle Linux. "We are going to wait and see if there is traction in the marketplace," McMahon said. "If clients want it (Oracle), then we will support it." IBM guarantees its products will work with Red Hat's version of Linux. "What Red Hat is selling to the customer is peace of mind. Oracle cannot do that because it is unable to certify comparability," said Trip Chowdhry, an analyst with Global Equities Research. Continued... =A9 Reuters 2007. All Rights Re...

[News] [Linux] IBM Reaches Further to Linux, Development
IBM looks to open up development ,----[ Quote ] | IBM is kicking off an experiment to open up its software development | process in a way that mirrors the creation of open source applications. `---- http://www.itweek.co.uk/vnunet/news/2190484/ibm-looks-open-development IBM pAVEs the way for x86 Linux apps ,----[ Quote ] | Developers could continue to write Linux apps on their x86 | workstations, and then take advantage of the scalability and | efficiencies inherent in the POWER architecture when it comes | time to deploy the app. `---- http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/22/ibm-p_ave/ ...

[News] IBM for Linux-on-Cell and Linux-on-Power
Reposted (different source with more details): IBM seeds new embedded Linux projects in Brazil ,----[ Quote ] | IBM will expand its Brazilian Linux Technology Center (LTC), in order | to advance several projects of interest to embedded Linux developers. | The $2.2M investment will further projects devoted to Linux-on-Cell | and Linux-on-Power, Linux ease-of-use, virtualization, and | government security certifications for Linux. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9856981505.html ...

Linux Desktop fails at IBM.
"More than a year after IBM's Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Sam Palmisano challenged his company to move to the Linux desktop by the end of 2005, IBM has significantly toned down its rhetoric on the subject of open-source clients." This is how the infoworld article starts. Seems IBM is the next Munich, when it comes to a Linux desktop. Great ambitions that fail when reality is encountered. Here are some more choice quotes: "IBM executives said at the time that they had approximately 15,000 Linux desktops within the company and predicted that they would have betw...

IBM to move to Linux desktop.
Well, it's one thing to have Linux on my desktop just because I find it nice to use, but it's another thing entirely to see a company the size of IBM making the switch. http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13485 Hope it all goes smoothly. Congrats everyone. I'm curious to know which desktop environment they will use. I dream of IBM surprising the world by releasing a full-featured, well-engineering, and well-implemented desktop that is head over heels better than Gnome. KDE is not an option with corporations. Even in my academic world, we had to abandon development of a QT prog...

IBM using Linux on the Desktop?
"More than a year after IBM's Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Sam Palmisano challenged his company to move to the Linux desktop by the end of 2005, IBM has significantly toned down its rhetoric on the subject of open-source clients. We don't have anything we want to say that's definitive," says Nancy Kaplan, an IBM spokesperson, as she declined to comment on specifics of the roll-out. "There are people using Linux and nobody is telling them to stop," she says." http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,119422,00.asp Just for you flatty. -- rapskat...

[News] [Linux] Datatrend/IBM Chooses Linux Routers
Datatrend Technologies to Integrate Vyatta Open-Source Networking on IBM Hardware ,----[ Quote ] | Vyatta, the leader in Linux-based networking, today announced that | Datatrend Technologies, an IBM Business Partner specializing in | data center optimization for more than 20 years, has joined the | Vyatta Ready partner program and will distribute Vyatta's | open-source networking software as a fully integrated appliance | using IBM System x and BladeCenter servers. `---- http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070620005025&newsL...

[News] [Linux] Vista Out the Windows, GNU/Linux on the Desktop
Assembling the Linux PC ,----[ Quote ] | The Vista Out My Windows | | You may recall that I had a dual-boot setup with WinXP SP2 on the other | hard drive. Well, after I had the 8800GTS purring like a kitten under | Linux, I decided to work on the WinXP side. Windows should be easy, | right? After all, we're always fed that Windows has tons of seamless | hardware support... | | Wrong. This was the recipe for disaster. I have yet to get the | WinXP partition to boot, even in Safe Mode. Safe Mode should | bypass any driver compatibility issues by loading generic | drivers. The net res...

[News] Linux for Windows (coLinux), Semantic Linux Desktop
coLinux - Cooperative Linux Short Review ,----[ Quote ] | Conclusions? If you want an easy way of running simple, not very graphics | demanding applications from Linux on Windows, you are a developaer who | develops for both systems, of you are just a Linux enthusiast who wants to | have his beloved applications at hand while using Windows, and you don’t mind | occasional BSOD or problems with graphics – coLinux is solution for you. `---- http://dragonshorn.info/?q=node/21 Open Source Semantic Desktop Is Coming ,----[ Quote ] | Thanks to the open source NEPOMUK (Networked Environ...

Linux Supporter IBM Screws California. The Stench of Linux Again?
Here we go again with that stalwart for Linux, IBM. First it was Texas, now it's California. They need KingMaker Rex over there to straighten out this mess. http://www.sacbee.com/2010/09/23/3050167/californias-ailing-34-million.html "You always get bugs (in new systems), but you don't want bugs that are showstoppers." But showstoppers they were. In December, an assessment by Folsom's Sabot Technologies � contracted by the state � called for an immediate shutdown of the system to fix abnormalities. It "discovered significant issues with the system and project, ...

So why not Linux at IBM?
So why not Linux? Certainly IBM is capable enough to deploy and manage Linux for their employee desktops and laptops. <quote> For the first time, IBM offers to buy employees a Mac and will become one of the biggest Apple shops May 28, 2015 IBM's huge partnership with Apple is giving IBM employees a never-before-offered benefit. IBM is, for the first time, offering to buy employees a Mac as their main work PC, reports 9to5 Mac. IBM plans to deploy around 50,000 MacBooks by the end of the year, according to the memo, making IBM one of the biggest enterprise Mac sho...

Web resources about - 2004: IBM embraces Linux internally. 2011: IBM is 90% Windows on the desktop - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Refugees and internally displaced persons in Azerbaijan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
According to the 1979 census, Azeris numbered 160,841 and constituted 5.3% of Armenia's population. It is impossible to determine the exact population ...

What happens internally when you engage with friends on Facebook? Meet TAO
Facebook recently took users behind the curtain for an in-depth look at the engine that powers the social graph: TAO. Whenever you check into ...

Interview: Over 5 million Syrians internally displaced: SARC - WORLD - Globaltimes.cn
The head of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) put the number of the internally displaced Syrians at more than five million, stressing that ...

Leaked next-generation iPhone parts match up with internally tested iPhones with larger screens
... back-shell leak from yesterday : sources in position to know say that the structure of the shells do match up with what is being tested internally. ...

CLP HOLDINGS (00002.HK)'s former head office transferred internally for $2.1B
According to the Land Registry's information, the property located at 139-147 Argyle Street, whic...

More than 123,000 Syrians internally displaced last month: UN
More than 123,000 Syrians internally displaced last month: UN

33.3 Million People Internally Displaced in 2013 - Al Jazeera America
... increase from previous year; Syria accounts for nearly half of new displacements At least 33.3 million people across the world were internally ...

Nigeria: U.S. Condemns Suicide Attacks On Internally Displaced Persons
The US Embassy in Nigeria on Thursday condemned the recent terrorists suicide attacks on the camp of Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) in Dikwa ...

Google: Android 5.1 Memory Leak Has Been Fixed Internally, No Timeline For Release Yet
In the Android community, Lollipop 5.0 is known for a lot of things. Unfortunately, among those things is a pretty severe memory leak that has ...