4 May Day Against DRM

"Today is about taking time out of your usual routine to speak out in favour
of a DRM-free society. We do not have to accept a future where our
interactions with computers and published works are monitored and controlled
by corporations or governments."

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/dayagainstdrm2010

Have a good one. ;)
Attila, The Freetard from Hell

0
Attila
5/4/2010 5:22:59 AM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 120663 articles. 14 followers. Post Follow

On Tue, 04 May 2010 07:22:59 +0200, Attila wrote:

> "Today is about taking time out of your usual routine to speak out in favour
> of a DRM-free society. We do not have to accept a future where our
> interactions with computers and published works are monitored and controlled
> by corporations or governments."
>
> http://www.defectivebydesign.org/dayagainstdrm2010
>
> Have a good one. ;)
> Attila, The Freetard from Hell

Translation: You cheap OSS vermin don't like having to pay for
things.
Tough luck.
0
Moshe
5/4/2010 7:40:41 AM
Moshe wrote:

> On Tue, 04 May 2010 07:22:59 +0200, Attila wrote:
>
>> "Today is about taking time out of your usual routine to speak out in
>> favour of a DRM-free society. We do not have to accept a future where
>> our interactions with computers and published works are monitored and
>> controlled by corporations or governments."
>>
>> http://www.defectivebydesign.org/dayagainstdrm2010
>>
>> Have a good one. ;)
>> Attila, The Freetard from Hell
>
> Translation: You cheap OSS vermin don't like having to pay for
> things.
> Tough luck.

Oh, I will pay for things. *If* they are mine afterwards. I will not buy
things where someone tells me on what devices I can use it. Or not

I stopped buying CDs nearly completely the day I could not play a CD in my
car stereo. Copy proteced CDs have *cost* the music industry in my case
(and I am certain not just in mine) in lots of lost sales

For the same reason I will not buy a blueray player in the foreseeable
future. It has DRM and will limit how I can play the disc I actually paid
for.

No way

Leave it to the thieves like flatfish that the industry felt the need to
introduce measures which ultimately inconvenience only the paying
customers
--
You're not my type.  For that matter, you're not even my species

0
Peter
5/4/2010 9:28:13 AM
Attila <jdkaye10@gmail.com> writes:

> "Today is about taking time out of your usual routine to speak out in favour
> of a DRM-free society. We do not have to accept a future where our
> interactions with computers and published works are monitored and controlled
> by corporations or governments."
>
> http://www.defectivebydesign.org/dayagainstdrm2010
>
> Have a good one. ;)
> Attila, The Freetard from Hell

DRM protects people from Freetards stealing their work and not paying.

It has its place if it does not overly impinge the legitimate purchaser.

In the same way I am not insulted by showing my cinema or train ticket I
am not insulted by being asked to prove I purchased SW.

Why are you? Oh. Silly me.
0
Hadron
5/4/2010 11:37:38 AM
On Tue, 04 May 2010 13:37:38 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> Attila <jdkaye10@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> "Today is about taking time out of your usual routine to speak out in
>> favour of a DRM-free society. We do not have to accept a future where
>> our interactions with computers and published works are monitored and
>> controlled by corporations or governments."
>>
>> http://www.defectivebydesign.org/dayagainstdrm2010
>>
>> Have a good one. ;)
>> Attila, The Freetard from Hell
>
> DRM protects people from Freetards stealing their work and not paying.

Look, it is Hadron the Bigot. Companies try to prevent unauthorized
copying/playing (or stealing) media with DRM. It doesn't work very well.
Never has.

> It has its place if it does not overly impinge the legitimate purchaser.

Which it does.

> In the same way I am not insulted by showing my cinema or train ticket I
> am not insulted by being asked to prove I purchased SW.
>
> Why are you? Oh. Silly me.

At least you realize you are silly.

--
Rick
0

colormaps #4
I have a figure with four subplots. For two of the subplots, i want to use jet(24) and the other two i want to use flipud(jet(24)). I am unable to solve this. I have seen the earlier ones and the tech note. Stille i could not do this. I have overlapping / common data range for the plots can anyone help me to fix this problem thanks take a look to: FREEZE http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadFile.do?objectId=7943 and IMAGESCNAN http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadFile.do?objectId=20516 and let me know... Carlos On Sep 24, 2:14=A0pm, "Carlos Ad...

The Greatest News Ever! #4 #2
http://www.jcil.blogspot.com << The Greatest News Ever! ...

CallManager 4.1
Hi guys, I need to remove authorization when users press the directory and services button, i have disabled extension mobility service, disassociated the users from the phone, but still getting prompted for authorization, i have searched Cisco documentation and could not find anything. We are not using AD, or netscape, i just added users on CM, and associated the phone to the user, phones that are not associated with any user has no problem. Except for this problem all phone are working just fine. Your Help is highly appreciated Regards, Andy. When i disable Default web page from IIS, t...

For sale: software (Cubase Audio, NVDI 4, Extendos Pro etc).
I sell the following software for Atari: --> Cubase Audio Falcon - including dongle, floppies, manuals and box. Everything original in good shape. $75 --> Interface (pro resource editor) $10 --> NVDI 4 $10 --> Extendos Pro $10 --> HD-Driver $10 --> Dig-It (a sampler/tracker for Falcon 030 and STe) $10 --> Nevada Cobol for the Atari, including a comprehensive manual. And a big book on the Cobol programming language, which I bought separately. I have a picture of these which I took with my mobile camera. I can email it to you. $25 Add frei...

DNAME [4.5]: DNSSEC

FAQ 4.46 How do I handle linked lists? #16
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq4.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 4.46: How do I handle linked lists? In general, you usually don't need a linked list in Perl, since with regular arrays, you can push and pop or shift and unshift at either end, or you can use splice to add ...

KitKat 4.4.4
All about the latest Android update http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/06/20/android-4-4-4-kitkat-update-breakdown/ Larry wrote, on Wed, 25 Jun 2014 04:56:04 +1000: > All about the latest Android update > http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/06/20/android-4-4-4-kitkat-update-breakdown/ I've had it on my Moto G for a while now, and, well, the only obvious things are the message app is very oddly different and there is a new emergency contact alarm system that drove me crazy with messages when I tested it out, but, I guess, it will work in dire emergencies. ...

Re: Sorting Problem
aknas_a@YAHOO.COM tersely responded: > >To merge another data. > >Thanks >Dii That does not mean you need to sort your data set. If you read SAS-L a lot, you'll learn that there are many alternatives. So.. how big is your data set? I see it is too big for you to sort with the given JCL. How big is the data set to be merged in? How many satellite variables do you want to add into the big data set? The sizes and scales of the two data sets should drive your selection of alternatives to the ever-popular, ultra-expensive sort-and-sort-and-merge tactic. You might look at ...

[wx 2.4.2, WinXP, VC 7.0] wxListCtrl not repainting
I built a Windows Explorer product that has a wxTreeCtrl and a wxListCtrl in a wxScrolledWindow. When I populate the controls with date it looks fine. I then move a separate program in front of the application and back away and it repaints (refreshes) fine. Now if I click anywhere in the wxListCtrl (either on an item or empty space) then move the separate application in front of my application and then out of the way the wxListCtrl does not repaint any part of the screen that the other application covered. I've been checking all my event handling and am not having any luck. Pl...

NAI Sniffer 4.3
Hello all, I was wondering if any of you on this list use the NAI Sniffer Ethernet, WAN or ATM..... If you do, could you lead me to or share some of your filters so that I can better understand what I can and cannot do with this thing? I understand it's a powerful tool and I have used it to great advantage on my WAN, I'm just a little weak with the filters... Thanks All!!! David... ...

DirDate 4.5.4
DirDate is a command line tool that can easily be automated to change folder and file last modification date, creation date or last access dates. It can use a reference file (where you 'lift' the date from an existing file), the current date/time or a series of YEAR=, MONTH=, DAY=, HOUR=, MIN=, SEC= and MSEC= commands. It can process files in subfolders, handles read-only files and it has a preview mode so that you can see which files will be modified. The -DIRFIX mode can intelligently set folder dates after a backup/ restore or copy has reset all folder creation dates. ...

Python 2.4/2.5 hang on bad reference?
Has anyone seen the following? I've got a somewhat complicated program that includes pygtk, some C/C++ code, and lots of Python code. My problem is that when some code tries to use a global variable that hasn't yet been created, or tries to invoke a method/function that doesn't exist in another module, the entire python program hangs. Ctrl-C doesn't kill it; I need to whack it from another terminal using the kill command. Using print statements, it basically looks like execution of the Python interpreter simply hangs when it goes to the problem statement. The code inv...

FAQ 4.8 How do I perform an operation on a series of integers? #8 1201541
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq4.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 4.8: How do I perform an operation on a series of integers? To call a function on each element in an array, and collect the results, use: @results = map { my_func($_) } @array; For example: ...

mysql 4.1.11: inner query? nested select ?
Hello everybody, How can i accomplish something like this with mysql 4.1.11: SELECT * FROM `myTable` WHERE id = (SELECT 140); of course i plan to use a more complex inner query, however this already results in the following problem: #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'select 140 ) at line 1 according to the documenatation since mysql 4.1 nested selects are allowed. what am i doing wrong? thx in advance, regards idz Michal Idziorek wrote: > Hello everybody, > > Ho...

Object is not Vaid #4
Hi, &nbsp; ...

Printing Problems in 10.4.6 ?
OK, this is driving me out of my freaking mind. Every single time I try to print, it seems, my setup won't print. I've tried Printer Setup Utility. I've repaired disks. I've repaired perms. I've run all the maintenace utilities I can find, from OnyX to MainMenu and USE and everything in between. Nothing seems to work. Sometimes if I log out and back in or restart, the printer will spit out all the documents I have spooled that I've tried to print (unsuccessfully) since the last reboot. But usually not. Can anyone help me with this? I never had any problems (or A...

[OT] Athlon XP VS. Pentium 4
I've just read this article: http://www.peltonweb.com/docs/athlon_p4.htm. Is it just me who thinks that this page talk better about AMD then Intel? I know it talks about a couple of things that better with a Intel CPU then a AMD CPU, but all those things are "non technical" things... What "technical" things are better on a Pentium 4 then on a Athlon XP? TIA! //Spike "Spike"asked: | I've just read this article: http://www.peltonweb.com/docs/athlon_p4.htm. | Is it just me who thinks that this page talk better about AMD then Intel? | I know it talks a...

Re: Help
The best people to ask would be SAS themselves, see http://support.sas.com/techsup/license/ . Thank you all, so much! I firmly believe that I have the right setinit file, as only one text file (ultimately it is the license) is available in the disc. I also have checked the text file itself, which shows the expire date is June 2008. Moreover, I use the same instruction to install SAS in another's desktop, and it is installed successfully. Therefore, I would have used a right path to point to the right setinit file. I have noticed that when I run verifying system requirement for SAS, an...

Re: Making UI creation easier? #4
Please excuse this 'heresy', but this is a topic that comes up from time to time on various tcl/tk mailing lists/usenet newsgroups. Most people who have been doing guis for some time indicate they find coding the gui's directly in tcl/tk (which could be done using that other perl tk interface module), goes more quickly than trying to use various gui builders or writing intermediate languages, etc. -- Tcl - The glue of a new generation. <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/ > Larry W. Virden <mailto:lvirden@cas.org> <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/> Even if ex...

Installing Impression Publisher 4.11 on RISCOS Raspberry Pi
I have Aemulor running OK. I have original Impression discs, I have Impression running on my Iyonix. I have copied the program to Raspberry's SD card, Installed CCshared in !Boot.Resources.!System. I get an error saying "Impression not properly installed" What else have I forgotten to do? Chris -- C J Craig Chris@skipton.demon.co.uk Iyonix ARM XScale computer RISC OS 5.18 In article <c045fa4453.Chris@skipton.demon.co.uk>, C J Craig <Chris@skipton.demon.co.uk> wrote: > I have Aemulor running OK. I have original Impression > discs, I ha...

"with circles" CVS 4.5.0 vs 4.4.0
I have just downloaded the latest CVS version (4.5.0) and installed it on three different machines to realize that I couldn't do something I was able to get with my previous version (4.3.0). When I try the following command below (with 4.5.0): "pl sin(x) w circles" I am getting nothing displayed except "sin(x) o" as a key in the right top corner. When I execute the same command with 4.3.0, I get circles all around. I just downloaded 4.4.0, and I was able to get circles displayed as it should be (?). Why does not the latest CVS version display the sam...

ACE 5.4.2 + TAO 1.4.2 client, ORBacus 4.1.2 NameService, and JACOrb 1.4.1 servants
Hi everyone, Background: ----------- I'm very new to CORBA, ACE & TAO. I'm trying to integrate with a 3rd party system which exposes a CORBA object model to clients. This system is composed of JACOrb 1.4.1 servers registering with an ORBacus 4.1.2 NameService. We've got existing software that uses ACE 5.4.2, and the 3rd party documentation mentions that people have used TAO (no version specified) previously to integrate with their system, so I'm trying out TAO 1.4.2 as a natural solution to the problem. Environment Specifics: ---------------------- - AC...

ANN: Urwid 0.9.4
Announcing Urwid 0.9.4 ---------------------- Urwid home page: http://excess.org/urwid/ Tarball: http://excess.org/urwid/urwid-0.9.4.tar.gz About this release: =================== This release adds mouse event handling to the standard widgets and example programs. Also, the files used to generate the reference and tutorial documentation are now included in the tarball. New in this release: ==================== - Enabled mouse handling across the Urwid library. Added a new mouse_event(..) method to the Widget interface definition and to the following widgets: Edit...

Re: Include macros from the internet. #4
Jack Hamilton <JackHamilton@firsthealth.com> sagely replied: > If he is certain that the URL will point to a well-formed macro, he could just use something like: > ===== > filename in url 'http://www.rohrbough-systems.com:80/ColList.inc' proxy='http://slcpx01:8080'; > %include in / source2; > ===== > Tested code, but the proxy would need to be changed or deleted if used elsewhere. Very nice code! Thanks for sharing. But my problem is that the stuff read off a URL often has HTML and other trafe embedded in it. What do you do then? (That's a rheto...

C program #4
What is the use of pointer? On 29 Apr, 09:51, mukit1...@gmail.com wrote: > What is the use of pointer? read K&R and stop being an idiot In article <d4a630f1-a872-4271-9835-886f8743cc03@y33g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, <mukit1271@gmail.com> wrote: >What is the use of pointer? We've already covered this. Without Pointers, there would be no "Fire!" or "He's So Shy". Kenny McCormack wrote: > In article <d4a630f1-a872-4271-9835-886f8743cc03@y33g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, > <mukit1271@gmail.com> wrote: >> What is the use...