All This Just To Get 3D Working Properly? Linux Wastes Your Time Like No Other Operating System.

I already posted a question before but I didn't really get any
advice/help. I'll be a bit more brief/general in hope it'll help.

I have an MSI HD 7850 with the Catalyst 12.4 drivers installed. I've
found that I'm having bad 3D performance for some reason but I'm not
entirely sure what. I suspect it may just that the graphics card is new
and AMD just need to work on their drivers but it would be nice to get
advice and narrow the problem down so that I can be sure rather than
wait for driver updates that may not even help.

I ran gxlgears to give some general idea of how bad the performance is.
At default size it is averaging around 2000 FPS. The command glxinfo
confirms the renderer is using AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series with OpenGL
version 4.2.

Edits below:

As asked for others:

lspci -v output is here.
fglrxinfo output is here
xvinfo output is here
glxinfo | grep rendering says yes for direct rendering.

These confirmed that everything was configured correctly.

Within Unity and Gnome Classic:
glxgears had an FPS of around 2000 FPS
fgl_glxgears had an FPS of around 544 FPS

Within LDXE:
glxgears had an FPS of around 4600 FPS
fgl_glxgears had an FPS of around 1600 FPS

In the end it was discovered that Compiz was causing a large performance
decrease and solution was simply to change window manager for the time
being. Thanks to TechZilla for all his help!

But we are constantly being told how superior Compiz and Linux's GUI
compared to that of Windows. This person must be lying.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/136054/bad-3d-performance-in-ubuntu-12-04

10 years of Linux, or how you can waste time slowly......(More proof that Linux is a freaking waste of time)
10 years of Linux, or how you can waste time slowly https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=81868&p=1 //QUOTE So, not that many of you would care, but this month I have a rather odd anniversary: it was 10 years ago that I laid eyes on my first Linux ditribution, and it was the thing that "started it all" for me. I was in the 9th grade, still using Windows, but I had access to a Redhat box, and I loved it. I remember playing Sokoban a lot on it, and I seem to remember Netscape. I also remember BitchX, but that was years after. Any man would consider this a happy occasion, but I do not. Why? Because apart from some stuff that you learn as you go on, stuff that you need to learn in order to maintain your system in working condition, apart from that I feel like I've learned nothing. It's not Linux's fault, but my own, simply because I've spent years making sure that my box looks " bitchin' ", and spent alot less time actually learning what I was supposed to in the first place. So, what do I have after 10 years? I suck at firewall-ing, I'm certaintly more pro-efficient with Ubuntu's Firestarter frontend, or even with ZoneAlarm on Windows, than I am with, let's say, PF. I'm ashamed to say that I've always chosen the easy path: no open ports on my main box, rather than learning how to configure a secure machine. I can make Gnome look 10 times better than Vista, but I don't ...

[News] GNU/Linux a Lot More Than One Operating System (Like Mac OS or Windows)

After 10 years using Linux, victim says it finally feels like a "proper operating system"
"I've been using Linux for over a decade now, and even though I've always enjoyed it (even when things not working got pretty annoying and time-consuming), with this latest release it really feels like a bona-fide proper operating system." #1163 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1465548&page=117 10 years? MS is totally - and this time they mean it - doomed. On 10-07-02 8:42 AM, in article i0ktsh$hqg$2@news.eternal-september.org, "DFS" <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote: > "I've been using Linux for over a decade now, and ...

[News] [Linux] Is Linux Ahead of All Other Operating Systems?
Color Theory - Linux and Personal Preferences ,----[ Quote ] | What is confusion is also power. Linux runs in more languages, | on more platforms, in more ways, than any other OS on the planet. | It is developed world wide by a huge group of very passionate | people. It can be made to match the ideals and goals of whomever | for whatever. If you need simple, easy: it's there! See Xandros or | Linspire: there are no operating systems easier to install than | those. None. Not OS.X even. Note that these both chose KDE for | the user interface too. `---- http://talk.bmc.com/blogs/blog-carl/...

Linux journal
But somehow for the COLA "advocates" everything always manages to work perfectly the first time - every time. I just read this and what an F'n mess. Some of this is unavoidable (it's a computer after all) but some of this is most definitely self inflicted and avoidable. <quote> I need at least one i386 installation here at Studio Dave because some production software is not yet 64-bit ready, and I happen to need that software. SuperCollider3 can run on a 64-bit system, but only after some tricky maneuvers; the label printing programs for my Lightscribe drive are 32...

Linux Advocates Have Poor Knowledge Of Their Chosen Operating System, Linux.
Spend 10 minutes in COLA and you will quickly see how little factual data t= he Linux advocates provide. Oh they love to attack and use the mob mentalit= y of the herd to swarm the opposition but in terms of factual data, they ha= ve so very little. Peter Kohlmann sets the expectation for the Linux users to actually know so= mething about Linux, very low. He is literally wrong about Linux of foss 100 percent of the time. Why do Linux advocates know so little about their chosen OS? Why do they run when asked to prove their claims? Here are just a few of Peter Kohlmann's errors. There are many more, some going back several years. Peter Kohlmann's current track record is very poor. His has been wrong near= ly 100 percent of the time when attempting to discuss topics of a technical= nature. The question is, has anyone ever observed Peter Kohlmann being correct? About anything? Peter K=EF=BF=BDhlmann's List of Absurd Claims: 3 Jan 2013=20 The top one is my current favorite. :)=20 ---------------------------------------------------------------=20 Peter K=EF=BF=BDhlmann, referencing his own idiotic quotes:=20 -----=20 And what a surprise: Not a single Msg-ID supplied by that liar=20 Snit... Because *if* he did supply Msg-IDs, anyone could see that=20 he has doctored the posts. ... He would be shown as the imbecile=20 liar he really is=20 -----=20 Peter distances himself from his own statements sayin...

Why linux is linux

I have Linux! I have Linux!

My Linux is not your Linux

[News] [Linux] Getting faster and Faster... Linux Launch Time Improved
OpenSuse plans to massively improve boot time ,----[ Quote ] | Like other distributions, OpenSuse has a group of people working at | a faster boot system. Atm there is no discussion about a new init | system but about improvements on all fronts: kernel, init scripts, | unnecessary system calls, etc. `---- http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/05/15/opensuse-plans-to-massively-improve-boot-time/ KDE tip - speed up KDE launch time ,----[ Quote ] | Here's a really simple but very effective tip for speeding up the time | it takes for KDE to start up. `---- http://fosswire.com/2007/05/15/kd...

Why the Linux Desktop Just Won't Work! and why Linux depresses me.
Why having Linux on the desktop of Aunt Tille is a myth. I've had a few trials running over last year, set up at family members. New computer? Let's install Morphix on them (I had used both Gnome and Light installs) and see how far you get. The users weren't very technical, on the contrary even. I regularly went around to their places, updated their boxes and sometimes switched applications (Mozilla for Firebird/Firefox for example). They all gave it their best shot, however at the end they prefered to have Windows back. I didn't drag them into this, and they gave Debian a f...

[News] [Linux] Large Report on Smartphone Operating Systems Optimistic on Linux
Get a deep insight into the Smartphone Operating Systems Industry ,----[ Quote ] | A growing number of handsets vendors are showing interest in Linux | and a majority of the key handset vendors already sell Linux devices | in some markets. The stability and openness of Linux can well outweigh | the disadvantage of continued platform fragmentation, resulting in | more models on more market from several manufacturers. Together, | various open Linux platforms, including Palm?s new Linux-based | inhouse Palm OS version, are estimated to account for nearly 41 | percent of the worldwide smartphone...

another linux website hacked. this time physicians and surgeons get hosed because of linux
Website breach at College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba CJOB News Team reporting 10/12/2010 The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba is notifying its members of a potential breach of its website. But Dr. Bill Pope, Registrar of the College, tells CJOB just because the site was hacked, doesn't mean any information was stolen... All sensitive information has since been taken down and the College says it won't be put back until they're certain it's safe. http://www.cjob.com/News/Local/Story.aspx?ID=1293406 http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.cpsm.mb.ca Hosting History Netblock Owner IP address OS Web Server Last changed Shaw Communications Inc. Suite 800 Calgary AB CA 24.77.212.237 Linux Apache-Coyote/1.1 23-Aug-2005 On Oct 16, 2:00=A0pm, "One Shot, One-Kill" <fre...@gmail.com> wrote: > Website breach at College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba > CJOB News Team reporting > 10/12/2010 > > The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba is notifying its membe= rs > of a potential breach of its website. > > But Dr. Bill Pope, Registrar of the College, tells CJOB just because the > site was hacked, doesn't mean any information was stolen... > Come back to us when you can show that the problem was with Linux itself and not just insecure web page html/php/cgi-bin coding. ...

[News] Mac OS X-Like Dock for GNU/Linux Reviewed by Linux.com
KXDocker: More than a task manager ,----[ Quote ] | The basic idea behind Mac OS X's Dock is that when you need an | application, you click on its icon on an on-screen bar, and the | application is launched (if it has not been yet) or switched to | (if it has). Stefano Zingarini has borrowed this concept for | KXDocker, a KDE variation of OS X's Dock (which is also usable | with GNOME and other desktop environments). `---- http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/12/28/1956207&from=rss Related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VekgyKQoTeM&NR http://www.youtube.com/wa...

Linux has to be the all time worst operating system ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #2
I use Windows. I run a small voice over studio and the truth is I eek out a small living doing what I love. I run Windows with one Macintosh system running a lite rented version of Protools. This past summer a consultant came into my studio and pitched what seemed like a great system called Linux. From the way he presented the solution, it appeared that Linux was free and there were all kinds of applications that I could use to replace Protools, Sonar, Cubase and other very expensive products I had in my studio. It sounded too good to be true until he produced Sound on Sound articles showing L...

[News] [Linux] Mac OS X Becomes More Like Linux, Exposes Big List of Bugs
More Unix in Apple's Leopard ,----[ Quote ] | Among the new features comprising the Leopard's innards Apple points to | the automounter autofs, with the aid of which the Finder will in future | be able to mount remote file systems asynchronously. A new feature of | interest to both professional developers and interested laymen is | DTrace, borrowed from Sun's Solaris, which permits detailed monitoring | of the performance of programs during run-time. `---- http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/91448/from/rss09 Like all O/Ses, Apple has many problems in Tiger as well. Watch the list: Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.10 Update ,----[ QUote ] | Apple on Wednesday afternoon released Mac OS X 10.4.10, a free | maintenance update recommended for all PowerPC and Intel-based Mac | computers running versions of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. `---- http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/06/20/apple_releases_mac_os_x_10_4_10_update.html ...

Everyone Knows Linux Sucks... It's Quite Obvious... (Linux===the Elvis of operating systems)
Linux is FREE...Market Share, less that 1.0 percent as a desktop system. Vendors that could make extra profit by not having to install, and pay for Microsoft Products....... Yet they still install those Microsoft Products..... Why? Demand that is why................ Linux has ZERO market demand........ As a desktop system, Linux is deader than Elvis. We all know the above is true, so now we have to focus on WHY it is true. 1. Linux offers nothing over Windows other than cost and if a person has already in effect paid for all the great software that came on their pre-loaded Windows sy...

[News] Real-Time Linux Operating Systems Target More Devices

Linux Operating System is like a Cat that always lands on all fours
Linux Operating System is like a Cat that always lands on all fours ------------------------------------------------------------------- Install say Ubuntu Linux on any old PC, move disk to another PC with a completely different motherboard, processor, graphics card, monitor and peripherals, and it instantly boots up and runs like as if nothing happened. Linux Operating System is like a Cat that always lands on all fours, always running and ready to pounce. It should be made compulsory to be used in all Schools, Universities and Colleges because the source code comes with it fre...

How to get Linux crapware working on a laptop: waste a week of your life
"My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week of hard work getting opensuse 10.3 to work." http://forums.opensuse.org/archives/sls-archives/archives-suse-linux/archives-hardware-support/archives-notebooks/383465-10-3-toshiba-a200.html Welcome to openSUSE.org...Our goal is to create and distribute the world's most usable Linux. http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org Microsoft and Windows is doomed... ...

Linux crapware victim: "Linux will never replace Windows as a mainstream operating system"
"Ubuntu and Rt2780: The Endless Saga Q: Why Ubuntu does not become a mainstream OS? A: Because it is simply not ready for mainstream. OK folks, the RT2780 chipset is one of the most popular wifi chips out there (if not the MOST popular). However, wifi adapters based on the RT2780 chipset have not worked out of the box with Ubuntu since version 9.10. I did the blacklisting fix while on version 9.10 and everything worked fine. Now that I've upgraded to version 10.04, the same issue came bak witha vengeance, and the blacklisting fix won't work anymore. I find it i...

Why I ditched Linux and Went Back To Windows XP (Don't waste your time on a Linux Studio)
I'm a musician with a very limited budget and little time to fool around with computers. If I had a 48 track Studer in my studio I would be happy, but I dont. I have an Intel system with a P4 3.0ghz and 2gig of memory and plenty of hard disk space. I have an RME card which works great. When I started my studio, my CS minor got the best of me and guided me toward Linux because Linux is free, supposedly offers quality applications and seemed like a good choice for a person on a budget like me. However, I quickly learned that the cost of software was a minor point compared to the time needed...

Runs fine with XP. Install Linux and it hard-freezes every 10 minutes. Linux just works.
"The comp freeze quite often for what seems completely random .... basiclly freeze once every 10 minutes depending on what im doing. and when i mean freeze its frozen tried ctrl+alt+backspace but nothing to unfreeze it ....." "i used to have window xp on the computer and it ran fine without problems" "12:00 - opened wow installer with wine, froze at !% of install. 12:10 - open firefox, then opened synaptic package manager. freezes comp right away. 12:15: opened synaptic package manager put in password and freeze. 1225: opera 9.5... froze when started to insatll ...

Web resources about - All This Just To Get 3D Working Properly? Linux Wastes Your Time Like No Other Operating System. - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Statement of Disaffiliation from the GUU regarding failure to properly address Misogynistic behaviour ...
Glasgow Uni Coalition of Resistance hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel Statement of Disaffiliation from the GUU regarding failure to properly address ...

How to use a Ketchup Cup Properly - YouTube
Ever carry over 8 cups full of ketchup back to your table, try to dunk more than one fry at a time, and think to yourself, "This doesn't seem ...

University reforms haven't been explained properly, says Sydney Uni's Michael Spence
... of the proposal to uncap university fees has taken an apparent swipe at the government's sales job saying the case for change hasn't been properly ...

Canada crash train brakes not set properly
A lone engineer failed to set brakes properly on a train that derailed and exploded in a small Canadian town, killing at least 15 people, the ...

Union says Dick Smith staff were 'not properly consulted' about concession closures
The union representing Dick Smith workers says staff at the electronic retailers' concession stores were &quot;not properly consulted&quot; about ...

Bill Shorten should resign after failing to properly disclose donations, says former ALP national secretary ...
A former national secretary of the Australian Labor Party, Bob Hogg, has called for Opposition Leader Bill Shorten to resign, accusing him of ...

Six items you're not cleaning properly and how to clean them
From mould in your coffee machine to fungus growing in your dishwasher, it’s safe to say you’ve missed a spot.

Fracking's effect on water not properly monitored, report finds
A new report commissioned by Environment Canada says there's little information about the effects of shale gas development on the environment. ...

'We want to know how to love them properly,' veteran's spouse says
A day after confronting the Veterans Affairs minister over lack of support for veterans’ caregivers, the wife of a former Canadian Forces sergeant ...