All This Just To Get 3D Working Properly? Linux Wastes Your Time Like No Other Operating System.

I already posted a question before but I didn't really get any
advice/help. I'll be a bit more brief/general in hope it'll help.

I have an MSI HD 7850 with the Catalyst 12.4 drivers installed. I've
found that I'm having bad 3D performance for some reason but I'm not
entirely sure what. I suspect it may just that the graphics card is new
and AMD just need to work on their drivers but it would be nice to get
advice and narrow the problem down so that I can be sure rather than
wait for driver updates that may not even help.

I ran gxlgears to give some general idea of how bad the performance is.
At default size it is averaging around 2000 FPS. The command glxinfo
confirms the renderer is using AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series with OpenGL
version 4.2.

Edits below:

As asked for others:

lspci -v output is here.
fglrxinfo output is here
xvinfo output is here
glxinfo | grep rendering says yes for direct rendering.

These confirmed that everything was configured correctly.

Within Unity and Gnome Classic:
glxgears had an FPS of around 2000 FPS
fgl_glxgears had an FPS of around 544 FPS

Within LDXE:
glxgears had an FPS of around 4600 FPS
fgl_glxgears had an FPS of around 1600 FPS

In the end it was discovered that Compiz was causing a large performance
decrease and solution was simply to change window manager for the time
being. Thanks to TechZilla for all his help!

But we are constantly being told how superior Compiz and Linux's GUI
compared to that of Windows. This person must be lying.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/136054/bad-3d-performance-in-ubuntu-12-04

Web resources about - All This Just To Get 3D Working Properly? Linux Wastes Your Time Like No Other Operating System. - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Statement of Disaffiliation from the GUU regarding failure to properly address Misogynistic behaviour ...
Glasgow Uni Coalition of Resistance hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel Statement of Disaffiliation from the GUU regarding failure to properly address ...

How to use a Ketchup Cup Properly - YouTube
Ever carry over 8 cups full of ketchup back to your table, try to dunk more than one fry at a time, and think to yourself, "This doesn't seem ...

University reforms haven't been explained properly, says Sydney Uni's Michael Spence
... of the proposal to uncap university fees has taken an apparent swipe at the government's sales job saying the case for change hasn't been properly ...

Canada crash train brakes not set properly
A lone engineer failed to set brakes properly on a train that derailed and exploded in a small Canadian town, killing at least 15 people, the ...

Union says Dick Smith staff were 'not properly consulted' about concession closures
The union representing Dick Smith workers says staff at the electronic retailers' concession stores were "not properly consulted" about ...

Bill Shorten should resign after failing to properly disclose donations, says former ALP national secretary ...
A former national secretary of the Australian Labor Party, Bob Hogg, has called for Opposition Leader Bill Shorten to resign, accusing him of ...

Six items you're not cleaning properly and how to clean them
From mould in your coffee machine to fungus growing in your dishwasher, it’s safe to say you’ve missed a spot.

Fracking's effect on water not properly monitored, report finds
A new report commissioned by Environment Canada says there's little information about the effects of shale gas development on the environment. ...

'We want to know how to love them properly,' veteran's spouse says
A day after confronting the Veterans Affairs minister over lack of support for veterans’ caregivers, the wife of a former Canadian Forces sergeant ...