Another Blow To The So Called Linux Security - Study: Safest OS isn't Windows--or Linux

Read it and weep, Linux losers.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5162348.html

An analysis of hacker attacks on online servers in January by UK-based
security consultancy mi2g found that Linux servers were the most
frequently hit, accounting for 13,654 successful attacks, or 80 percent
of the survey total. Windows came in a distant second with 2,005
attacks.

A detailed analysis of government servers also found Linux to be more
susceptible, accounting for 57 percent of all security breaches.

0
dralw (1)

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:13:40 +0000, Dr Alw is a loser wrote:

> Read it and weep, Linux losers.
>

> http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5162348.html
>
> An analysis of hacker attacks on online servers in January by UK-based
> security consultancy mi2g found that Linux servers were the most
> frequently hit

*Yawn*

At least come up with something that hasn't already been smacked down.

--
Powered by Mandrake Linux
Registered Linux user 337927 - http://counter.li.org/

0
john8240 (204)
2/23/2004 6:31:15 PM
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:13:40 GMT, "Dr Alw is a loser"
<dralw@sucks.dicks> wrote:

>An analysis of hacker attacks on online servers in January by UK-based
>security consultancy mi2g found that Linux servers were the most
>frequently hit, accounting for 13,654 successful attacks, or 80 percent
>of the survey total. Windows came in a distant second with 2,005
>attacks.
>
>A detailed analysis of government servers also found Linux to be more
>susceptible, accounting for 57 percent of all security breaches.

And how many permanently connected Windows boxes have been turned into
zombie servers?  millions.

0
peterwn (676)
2/23/2004 7:52:36 PM
"Dr Alw is a loser" <dralw@sucks.dicks> writes:

> Read it and weep, Linux losers.

Oh, this just in:

Subject: Windows XP explorer.exe heap overflow.
Date: 23 Feb 2004 20:55:54 +0100

A malformed .emf (Enhanced Metafile, a graphics format) file can cause
an exploitable heap overflow in (or near) shimgvw.dll.

To exploit this flaw (in explorer), simply place a malformed (invalid
"size" field) .emf file in any directory, open explorer to that path,
and view as Thumbnails. Bang. In it's simplest form it's a DOS - it
affects all explorer windows, including File Open dialogs for many
programs.

Arbitrary code execution.

Boom.
0
billyoc (708)
2/23/2004 9:44:29 PM
�In article <06ea3ec06e9a6936bb502ca887dcd1df@news.teranews.com>, Dr Alw is a loser wrote:

> Read it and weep, Linux losers.
>
> http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5162348.html
>
> An analysis of hacker attacks on online servers in January by UK-based
> security consultancy mi2g found that Linux servers were the most
> frequently hit, accounting for 13,654 successful attacks, or 80 percent
> of the survey total. Windows came in a distant second with 2,005
> attacks.
>
> A detailed analysis of government servers also found Linux to be more
> susceptible, accounting for 57 percent of all security breaches.

I'll post this link again,

mi2g has no credabality in the computer security world

http://www.attrition.org/errata/charlatan.html

and a new link, showing the numbers used in mi2g report are bogus.

http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/archive/isn/2003/09/msg00051.html

<QUOTE>

  http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/security/0,39020375,39115783,00.htm
  August 19, 2003, 08:50 BST

  The original variant of the MSBlast worm continued to spread over the
  weekend and is likely to have infected more than 570,000 computers,
  according to security firm Symantec.

Symantec says 570,000 computers were infected. Yet mi2g says 4,626
windows servers were compromised and "verified". They speicifically
say Sobig and MSBlast were factored in (quoted above), yet ignore the
numbers from Symantec and other AV firms.

<\QUOTE>

--
|  Joel Mayes     |   /~\   ASCII Ribbon campaign
|  Accordionist   |   \_/  stop HTML mail and news
|  Musician       |   / \
|  Music Teacher  |
0
invalid171 (7008)
2/24/2004 12:13:52 AM
In <slrnc3l5ub.uct.invalid@bluebird.zenith>, Joel Mayes <invalid@invalid.invalid> writes:
>�In article <06ea3ec06e9a6936bb502ca887dcd1df@news.teranews.com>, Dr Alw is a loser wrote:
>
>> Read it and weep, Linux losers.
>>
>> http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5162348.html
>>
>> An analysis of hacker attacks on online servers in January by UK-based
>> security consultancy mi2g found that Linux servers were the most
>> frequently hit, accounting for 13,654 successful attacks, or 80 percent
>> of the survey total. Windows came in a distant second with 2,005
>> attacks.
>>
>> A detailed analysis of government servers also found Linux to be more
>> susceptible, accounting for 57 percent of all security breaches.
>
>I'll post this link again,
>
>mi2g has no credabality in the computer security world
>
>http://www.attrition.org/errata/charlatan.html
>
>and a new link, showing the numbers used in mi2g report are bogus.
>
>http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/archive/isn/2003/09/msg00051.html
>
><QUOTE>
>
>  http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/security/0,39020375,39115783,00.htm
>  August 19, 2003, 08:50 BST
>
>  The original variant of the MSBlast worm continued to spread over the
>  weekend and is likely to have infected more than 570,000 computers,
>  according to security firm Symantec.
>
>Symantec says 570,000 computers were infected. Yet mi2g says 4,626
>windows servers were compromised and "verified". They speicifically
>say Sobig and MSBlast were factored in (quoted above), yet ignore the
>numbers from Symantec and other AV firms.
>
><\QUOTE>
>
>--
>|  Joel Mayes     |   /~\   ASCII Ribbon campaign
>|  Accordionist   |   \_/  stop HTML mail and news
>|  Musician       |   / \
>|  Music Teacher  |

I hope it gets the widest publicity possible too.

Mark

Proudly bought to you by the letters O & S & the number 2.

0
os21 (169)
2/24/2004 12:23:07 AM
On 24 Feb 2004 00:13:52 GMT, Joel Mayes <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>�In article <06ea3ec06e9a6936bb502ca887dcd1df@news.teranews.com>, Dr Alw is a loser wrote:
>
>> Read it and weep, Linux losers.
>>
>> http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5162348.html
>>
>> An analysis of hacker attacks on online servers in January by UK-based
>> security consultancy mi2g found that Linux servers were the most
>> frequently hit, accounting for 13,654 successful attacks, or 80 percent
>> of the survey total. Windows came in a distant second with 2,005
>> attacks.
>>
>> A detailed analysis of government servers also found Linux to be more
>> susceptible, accounting for 57 percent of all security breaches.
>
>I'll post this link again,
>
>mi2g has no credabality in the computer security world

Translation: The world here means among the losers who have no lives
running a piece of shit OS named Linux calling it secure.

Yeah, now that is credabality [sic] really needed.

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Peter
<peterwn@parazzdise.net.nz>
 wrote
on Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:52:36 GMT
<403a59c0.5277366@news.paradise.net.nz>:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:13:40 GMT, "Dr Alw is a loser"
> <dralw@sucks.dicks> wrote:
>

>>An analysis of hacker attacks on online servers in January by UK-based
>>security consultancy mi2g found that Linux servers were the most
>>frequently hit, accounting for 13,654 successful attacks, or 80 percent
>>of the survey total. Windows came in a distant second with 2,005
>>attacks.
>>
>>A detailed analysis of government servers also found Linux to be more
>>susceptible, accounting for 57 percent of all security breaches.
>>
> And how many permanently connected Windows boxes have been turned into
> zombie servers?  millions.

Ah, but as you can see, the Windows solutions, which
are presumably secured by experts, are the most secure
solution, whereas the Linux systems, which presumably
are put together higglepiggledy with a very careful eye
towards looking for already patched vulnerabilities (and
using the revs just prior to said patch) and with such
obvious highly secure settings as hosts.allow: ALL:ALL,
are very insecure and should be avoided at all costs.

Therefore, Windows, by virtue of its innate superiority, wins.

(Spot The Flaws.)

Here's a small amusement, though:

http://www.mi2g.co.uk/cgi/mi2g/frameset.php?pageid=http%3A//www.mi2g.co.uk/cgi/mi2g/press/190204_2.php

stipulates that the most secure OS is actually a BSD variant.

(The full report must be purchased to read the rest.)

Can the Winvocates get their stories at least a little
bit straight here? :-)

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
0
ewill (4394)
2/24/2004 1:00:00 AM
The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

< snip >

> Here's a small amusement, though:

http://www.mi2g.co.uk/cgi/mi2g/frameset.php?pageid=http%3A//www.mi2g.co.uk/cgi/mi2g/press/190204_2.php

> stipulates that the most secure OS is actually a BSD variant.
>
> (The full report must be purchased to read the rest.)
>
> Can the Winvocates get their stories at least a little
> bit straight here? :-)

Then they would not have anything to post at all
--
Clippy: "It looks like you're trying to sue us,
would you like me to delete all of your files?"

0
Peter.Koehlmann (13228)
2/24/2004 1:09:54 AM
On 2004-02-23 17:28:57 -0700, 1@2.3 said:

> On 24 Feb 2004 00:13:52 GMT, Joel Mayes <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> �In article <06ea3ec06e9a6936bb502ca887dcd1df@news.teranews.com>, Dr
>> Alw is a loser wrote:
>>
>>> Read it and weep, Linux losers.
>>>
>>> http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5162348.html
>>>
>>> An analysis of hacker attacks on online servers in January by UK-based
>>> security consultancy mi2g found that Linux servers were the most
>>> frequently hit, accounting for 13,654 successful attacks, or 80 percent
>>> of the survey total. Windows came in a distant second with 2,005
>>> attacks.
>>> A detailed analysis of government servers also found Linux to be more
>>> susceptible, accounting for 57 percent of all security breaches.
>>
>> I'll post this link again,
>>
>> mi2g has no credabality in the computer security world
>
> Translation: The world here means among the losers who have no lives
> running a piece of shit OS named Linux calling it secure.

Well, you can't call that crap XP you are running anywhere near secure.
Guffaw!!!

0
mist (19747)
2/24/2004 6:17:16 AM

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Peter
> <peterwn@parazzdise.net.nz>
>  wrote
> on Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:52:36 GMT
> <403a59c0.5277366@news.paradise.net.nz>:
>> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:13:40 GMT, "Dr Alw is a loser"
>> <dralw@sucks.dicks> wrote:
>>

>>>An analysis of hacker attacks on online servers in January by UK-based
>>>security consultancy mi2g found that Linux servers were the most
>>>frequently hit, accounting for 13,654 successful attacks, or 80 percent
>>>of the survey total. Windows came in a distant second with 2,005
>>>attacks.
>>>
>>>A detailed analysis of government servers also found Linux to be more
>>>susceptible, accounting for 57 percent of all security breaches.
>>>
>> And how many permanently connected Windows boxes have been turned into
>> zombie servers?  millions.
>>

> Ah, but as you can see, the Windows solutions, which
> are presumably secured by experts, are the most secure
> solution, whereas the Linux systems, which presumably
> are put together higglepiggledy with a very careful eye
> towards looking for already patched vulnerabilities (and
> using the revs just prior to said patch) and with such
> obvious highly secure settings as hosts.allow: ALL:ALL,
> are very insecure and should be avoided at all costs.
>
> Therefore, Windows, by virtue of its innate superiority, wins.
>
> (Spot The Flaws.)
>
> Here's a small amusement, though:
>
> http://www.mi2g.co.uk/cgi/mi2g/frameset.php?pageid=http%3A/
www.mi2g.co.uk/cgi/mi2g/press/190204_2.php

> stipulates that the most secure OS is actually a BSD variant.

while mi2g themselves run their site on Linux...

- --
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you
didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away
from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
Discover.
0
paul_cooke (974)
2/24/2004 8:54:10 AM
Dr Alw is a loser wrote:
> Read it and weep, Linux losers.
>

> http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5162348.html
>
> An analysis of hacker attacks on online servers in January by UK-based
> security consultancy mi2g found that Linux servers were the most
> frequently hit, accounting for 13,654 successful attacks, or 80 percent
> of the survey total. Windows came in a distant second with 2,005
> attacks.
>
> A detailed analysis of government servers also found Linux to be more
> susceptible, accounting for 57 percent of all security breaches.

They is another tread discussing this very issue. Yo don't miss much do
you?

--
Proudly brought to you by the letters O & S and the number 2!

0
Os2user (72)
2/24/2004 10:24:27 AM
GreyCloud wrote:

> Well, you can't call that crap XP you are running anywhere near secure.
> Guffaw!!!

Well, but I think XP isn't too bad, as long as you create a regular user
login, and keep up with all the windows update patches and other
security updates.  I don't run Windows that much, though, so...

dmmiller (909)
2/24/2004 3:33:23 PM
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, paul cooke
<paul_cooke@linux_NO_SPAM_mail.org>
 wrote
on Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:54:10 GMT
<1514460.TVCDROXXH1@cooke-main-box.madhouse>:

> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Peter
>> <peterwn@parazzdise.net.nz>
>>  wrote
>> on Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:52:36 GMT
>> <403a59c0.5277366@news.paradise.net.nz>:

>>> And how many permanently connected Windows boxes have been turned into
>>> zombie servers?  millions.
>>>

>> Ah, but as you can see, the Windows solutions, which
>> are presumably secured by experts, are the most secure
>> solution, whereas the Linux systems, which presumably
>> are put together higglepiggledy with a very careful eye
>> towards looking for already patched vulnerabilities (and
>> using the revs just prior to said patch) and with such
>> obvious highly secure settings as hosts.allow: ALL:ALL,
>> are very insecure and should be avoided at all costs.
>>
>> Therefore, Windows, by virtue of its innate superiority, wins.
>>
>> (Spot The Flaws.)
>>
>> Here's a small amusement, though:
>>
>> http://www.mi2g.co.uk/cgi/mi2g/frameset.php?pageid=http%3A/
> www.mi2g.co.uk/cgi/mi2g/press/190204_2.php
>>
>> stipulates that the most secure OS is actually a BSD variant.
>>

> while mi2g themselves run their site on Linux...

Not entirely clear from here:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 17:27:35 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.28 (Unix) FrontPage/5.0.2.2510
Last-Modified: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:15:15 GMT
ETag: "1250320-82e-3ef02da3"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

although Netcraft does in fact confirm it.

There is some confusion as they're using FrontPage, which AIUI
is a Microsoft utility.

My brain's starting to hurt.

[.sigsnip]

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
0
ewill (4394)
2/24/2004 8:59:46 PM
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Peter K�hlmann
<Peter.Koehlmann@t-online.de>
 wrote
on Tue, 24 Feb 2004 02:09:54 +0100
<c1e87l$k7e$06$6@news.t-online.com>:
> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>
> < snip >
>
>> Here's a small amusement, though:
>>

> http://www.mi2g.co.uk/cgi/mi2g/frameset.php?pageid=http%3A//www.mi2g.co.uk/cgi/mi2g/press/190204_2.php
>>
>> stipulates that the most secure OS is actually a BSD variant.
>>
>> (The full report must be purchased to read the rest.)
>>
>> Can the Winvocates get their stories at least a little
>> bit straight here? :-)
>>

> Then they would not have anything to post at all

There is that. :-)  Of course they could just post their
nothing elsewhere, presumably, leaving this NG free for
the Linux advocates.

Gentoo is not exactly a joy, but it's not a drudge, either.
I'm fighting multiple problems, but most of it is because
of hardware and inexperience.  It's pretty cutting-edge
stuff, which may mean it breaks on occasion just 'cause. :-/
But it's a far cry from "oh, well, just reboot and that'll
'fix' your problem" attitude on certain other products. :-)

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
0
ewill (4394)
2/24/2004 8:59:47 PM
0
dev98 (284)
2/24/2004 10:27:24 PM
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 01:00:00 +0000, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Peter
> <peterwn@parazzdise.net.nz>
>  wrote
> on Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:52:36 GMT
> <403a59c0.5277366@news.paradise.net.nz>:
>> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:13:40 GMT, "Dr Alw is a loser"
>> <dralw@sucks.dicks> wrote:
>>

>>>An analysis of hacker attacks on online servers in January by UK-based
>>>security consultancy mi2g found that Linux servers were the most
>>>frequently hit, accounting for 13,654 successful attacks, or 80 percent
>>>of the survey total. Windows came in a distant second with 2,005
>>>attacks.
>>>
>>>A detailed analysis of government servers also found Linux to be more
>>>susceptible, accounting for 57 percent of all security breaches.
>>>
>> And how many permanently connected Windows boxes have been turned into
>> zombie servers?  millions.
>>

> Ah, but as you can see, the Windows solutions, which
> are presumably secured by experts, are the most secure
> solution, whereas the Linux systems, which presumably
> are put together higglepiggledy with a very careful eye
> towards looking for already patched vulnerabilities (and
> using the revs just prior to said patch) and with such
> obvious highly secure settings as hosts.allow: ALL:ALL,
> are very insecure and should be avoided at all costs.
>
> Therefore, Windows, by virtue of its innate superiority, wins.

An excellent mime of Erik's FunkenLogic.

> (Spot The Flaws.)

'presumably' (unverified and biased opinion)
'most secure' (by some unnamed and undefinied standard)
'higglepiggledy' (condescending and pejorative without proof)
'obviously' (as opposed to what?)
'very insecure' (conclusion from unknown syllogism)
'should be avoided' (judgement, not fact or measurement)

Nice job.

As long as you're willing to sidestep logic, to substitute
value-judgements for facts, and make no sense whatsoever, you, too, can be
a Funkenbush, (or whatever his actual name is).

> Here's a small amusement, though:
>
> http://www.mi2g.co.uk/cgi/mi2g/frameset.php?pageid=http%3A//www.mi2g.co.uk/cgi/mi2g/press/190204_2.php
>
> stipulates that the most secure OS is actually a BSD variant.
>
> (The full report must be purchased to read the rest.)
>
> Can the Winvocates get their stories at least a little
> bit straight here? :-)

Look for flying pigs. That'll be the day.

--

"I didn't know there were corners in time till I was told to stand in
one."   - Grace Slick

0
justforfun (266)
2/25/2004 4:24:17 AM
0
callanca (1273)
2/25/2004 4:48:07 AM
In article <f99901708b6377c57a36b9a1ce043d86@news.teranews.com>, 1@2.3 wrote:
> On 24 Feb 2004 00:13:52 GMT, Joel Mayes <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>>�In article <06ea3ec06e9a6936bb502ca887dcd1df@news.teranews.com>, Dr Alw is a loser wrote:
>>
>>> Read it and weep, Linux losers.
>>>
>>> http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5162348.html
>>>
>>> An analysis of hacker attacks on online servers in January by UK-based
>>> security consultancy mi2g found that Linux servers were the most
>>> frequently hit, accounting for 13,654 successful attacks, or 80 percent
>>> of the survey total. Windows came in a distant second with 2,005
>>> attacks.
>>>
>>> A detailed analysis of government servers also found Linux to be more
>>> susceptible, accounting for 57 percent of all security breaches.
>>
>>I'll post this link again,
>>
>>mi2g has no credabality in the computer security world

mi2g's report miscounts the number of successful attacks on windows by
more then a factor of 2 is you use Symantec's numbers, and Symantec was
in the computer business when mi2g was just a web portal company (and
an unsuccessful one at that)

> Translation: The world here means among the losers who have no lives
> running a piece of shit OS named Linux calling it secure.

If my point is so invalid why did you cut the URLs? afraid the facts
might ruin your argument?

Here it is again, if you believe you have an argument other then ingnoring
the numbers and spouting jingoistic insults lets here it.

http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/archive/isn/2003/09/msg00051.html

> Yeah, now that is credabality [sic] really needed.

Are spelling, the last resort of the desperate troll

--
|  Joel Mayes     |   /~\   ASCII Ribbon campaign
|  Accordionist   |   \_/  stop HTML mail and news
|  Musician       |   / \
|  Music Teacher  |
0
invalid171 (7008)
2/25/2004 10:54:23 AM
0
callanca (1273)
2/25/2004 12:00:47 PM
So anyway, it was like, 13:00 CET Feb 25 2004, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
Philip Callan was all like, "Dude,
> 1@2.3 wrote:

> I'm suprised you could write your fake email address, you had to
> learn to count to 3.

You may be erroneously presupposing that it's deliberate and not just
happenstance.

Sort of a corrollary to "never attribute to malice what can adequatly
be explained by incompetence or stupidity".

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.      Perth ---> *
 13:12:25 up 3 days, 19:48,  7 users,  load average: 2.04, 2.10, 2.06
<ewill@sirius.athghost7038suus.net> wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, paul cooke
><paul_cooke@linux_NO_SPAM_mail.org> wrote

>> while mi2g themselves run their site on Linux...

> There is some confusion as they're using FrontPage, which AIUI
> is a Microsoft utility.

No confusion.  There's a FrontPage module for Apache.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking
0
callanca (1273)
2/25/2004 1:15:17 PM
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Kirk Morris
<justforfun@mfire.com>
 wrote
on Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:24:17 -0500
<pan.2004.02.25.04.24.11.271242@mfire.com>:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 01:00:00 +0000, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Peter
>> <peterwn@parazzdise.net.nz>
>>  wrote
>> on Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:52:36 GMT
>> <403a59c0.5277366@news.paradise.net.nz>:

>>> And how many permanently connected Windows boxes have been turned into
>>> zombie servers?  millions.
>>>

>> Ah, but as you can see, the Windows solutions, which
>> are presumably secured by experts, are the most secure
>> solution, whereas the Linux systems, which presumably
>> are put together higglepiggledy with a very careful eye
>> towards looking for already patched vulnerabilities (and
>> using the revs just prior to said patch) and with such
>> obvious highly secure settings as hosts.allow: ALL:ALL,
>> are very insecure and should be avoided at all costs.
>>
>> Therefore, Windows, by virtue of its innate superiority, wins.
>>

> An excellent mime of Erik's FunkenLogic.

Ah, but with a difference, I've at least indicated how
one might doctor what would otherwise be an incomplete dataset to get
a result completely contrary to what one might expect in this newsgroup.
(Or maybe not, considering the preponderance of trolls.)

And of course I was being highly sarcastic, as you've no doubt noticed. :-)

>> (Spot The Flaws.)
>
> 'presumably' (unverified and biased opinion)
> 'most secure' (by some unnamed and undefinied standard)
> 'higglepiggledy' (condescending and pejorative without proof)
> 'obviously' (as opposed to what?)
> 'very insecure' (conclusion from unknown syllogism)
> 'should be avoided' (judgement, not fact or measurement)
>
> Nice job.

Nice job yourself; I think you got most of em... :-)

> As long as you're willing to sidestep logic, to substitute
> value-judgements for facts, and make no sense whatsoever, you, too, can be
> a Funkenbush, (or whatever his actual name is).
>

>> Here's a small amusement, though:
>>
>> http://www.mi2g.co.uk/cgi/mi2g/frameset.php?pageid=http%3A//www.mi2g.co.uk/cgi/mi2g/press/190204_2.php
>>
>> stipulates that the most secure OS is actually a BSD variant.
>>
>> (The full report must be purchased to read the rest.)
>>
>> Can the Winvocates get their stories at least a little
>> bit straight here? :-)
>
> Look for flying pigs. That'll be the day.

Well, the best story is a totally twisted one, anyway. :-)  But
the best *facts* are the straightforward ones.

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
0
ewill (4394)
2/25/2004 4:59:45 PM
1@2.3 wrote:
> On 24 Feb 2004 00:13:52 GMT, Joel Mayes <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>

>>�In article <06ea3ec06e9a6936bb502ca887dcd1df@news.teranews.com>, Dr Alw is a loser wrote:
>>

>>>Read it and weep, Linux losers.
>>>
>>>http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5162348.html
>>>
>>>An analysis of hacker attacks on online servers in January by UK-based
>>>security consultancy mi2g found that Linux servers were the most
>>>frequently hit, accounting for 13,654 successful attacks, or 80 percent
>>>of the survey total. Windows came in a distant second with 2,005
>>>attacks.
>>>
>>>A detailed analysis of government servers also found Linux to be more
>>>susceptible, accounting for 57 percent of all security breaches.
>>
>>I'll post this link again,
>>
>>mi2g has no credabality in the computer security world
>

> Translation: The world here means among the losers who have no lives
> running a piece of shit OS named Linux calling it secure.
>
> Yeah, now that is credabality [sic] really needed.

Oh goody another one to join Trent-PLONK!!!!!

--
Proudly bought to you by the letters O & S & the number 2.

0
os21 (169)

Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware
Linux has viruses and malware. See below. Now please spin the facts and tell me why this is not so, Linux cultists. RL http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews/single-product-reviews ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 Business Edition for Linux Desktop May 2011 Review (english) The growing availability of user-friendly Linux operating systems for desktop and laptop PCs, with business support packages available, means that anti-malware solutions for Linux are becoming more important. Security software for Linux is needed not only to protect the computer itself, but also to prevent malicious code aimed at other systems, such as Windows, being passed through the system. To counter such threats, ESET have released ESET NOD32 Antivirus Business Edition for Linux Desktop. For our review, we installed the 32-bit Business Edition, version 4.0.66.0, on 32-bit Ubuntu Desktop Edition version 10.04. ESET also make a Home Edition of the program, and both Home and Business versions come in 32 and 64-bit versions. RayLopez99 <raylopez88@gmail.com> writes: > Linux has viruses and malware. See below. > > Now please spin the facts and tell me why this is not so, Linux > cultists. > > RL > > http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews/single-product-reviews > > ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 Business Edition for Linux Desktop May 2011 > Review (english) > > The growing availability of user-friendly Linux > operating systems for deskto...

Linux isn't Windows
I've got a good illustration of the differences between Windows and Linux today. My younger brother (the one who programs Windows systems) called. He had the day off and was using it to finish up work on another dual-core HP laptop he rebuilt. He likes this particular model and it's kind of become a hobby of his to buy broken ones cheap on eBay and rebuild them. I guess they're a pretty decent model, dual-core and this one has four gigs of RAM. (I could get the actual model if anyone is interested.) At any rate, he did a quick install of Ubuntu on this one... I don&#...

Linux, like Brazil, is the 'OS of the future', yet needs Windows?!
Brazil has been called the "country of the future" (for the past half century)--and note the comparison with LInux. And Linux needs Windows says Shuttleworth. I like how Ubuntu associates itself with Apple--a case of wishful thinking? RL Ubuntu founder urges Linux desktop to rival Apple Shuttleworth also cites need for new business models to fund free software By Paul Krill July 23, 2008 Talkback E-mail Printer Friendly Reprints Ubuntu Linux Founder Mark Shuttleworth urged development of a Linux desktop to rival what Apple has done in this space and aired a vision of sof...

[News] Another Company (6WIND) Raves About Linux, Linux, Linux...

No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size being = too small on my 19 inch monitor. As Moi was saying... I tried two more additional downloads of elementary OS Linux. Both of them= likewise failed. While they could have been discriminating against Moi for his ZERO contribu= tion, I will be damned if I am going to PAY GOOD money for something when t= here is no guarantee that the stupid DOWNLOAD wont fail, JUST TO FIND OUT t= hat it WONT work at all on my computer hardware, let alone whether OR NOT i= t will actually do what is being claimed. Moi has NEVER experienced a download problem with Linux Mint. From what I have seen, elementary OS Linux is a scam, much like those Windo= ws come ons that claim that they can fix your computer problems merely by m= ucking with the Windows Registry. The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam that i= t is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where are the Linu= x police? On 7/8/2015 8:22 AM, John Gohde wrote: > No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size > being too small on my 19 inch monitor. I blame it on your small cerebrum. > The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam > that it is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where > are the Linux police? The Linux police are outside your door right now. I'm not kidding. Look out...

[News] The 'Desktop' Becomes Decreasingly Relevant (to Linux/Windows/Mac OS)
Smartphones Becoming More Popular ,----[ Quote ] | "The nearly three-fold increase in smartphones shows that this once | negligible niche is becoming a more influential force in the consumer | market -- attracting entrants such as Apple and the Open Handset Alliance." `---- http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=11300B415VSM Open Handset Alliance, Symbian, and maybe even Apple. Microsoft is far behind with about 5% in terms of market share, which is pathetic after so many years of huge investments. Related: PCs step aside… smarter mobiles are coming ,----[ Quote ] ...

[News] Reasons to Embrace GNU/Linux at OS X's and Windows' Expense

'Linux is perfect' and 'Linux is perfect for' idiocy
Straight up 'Linux is perfect' idiocy: ========================================================================= "Linux is perfect." Posted by: unknown at March 26, 2005 03:57 PM http://www.goodexperience.com/tib/archives/2005/03/apple_mail_filt.html "Linux is perfect." http://www.deadtroll.com/index2.html?/video/ossuckscable.html~content "Linux is perfect: its open source nature and excellent shell make it the ultimate hobbyist's operating system." http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/top-50-best-linux-apps-2011-1014373 "Linux is perfect" comment by Mr.chippy http://blenderartists.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-218660.html?s=7ca405d1beb423b9015bd2ff62fb90bb "Linux is perfect" comment by jackblack http://blenderartists.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-218660.html?s=7ca405d1beb423b9015bd2ff62fb90bb "Linux is perfect!" http://abaldwin360.tumblr.com/post/23175853511/why-do-hipsters-use-macs-linux-is-so-much-less "Linux is perfect" ..sig of LSeraphim http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=97991.15 "Linux is perfect." Anonymous10/14/2010 03:06:00 PM http://www.techbroil.com/2010/10/linux-desktop-needs-to-bake-for-3-5.html "Linux is perfect" comment by albert http://web.archive.org/web/20080720151740/http://the-half-decent-pharmaceutical-chemistry-blog.chemblogs.org/archives/2008/01/02/all-is-quiet-on-new-y...

[News] Review of Splashtop: Linux 'from the BIOS' (and Windows Always on Top of Linux)
A hands-on look at the Splashtop instant-on Linux environment ,----[ Quote ] | Splashtop, a nearly instant-on Linux environment stored in the flash memory | usually reserved for motherboard BIOS. The company previewed an upcoming | revision to Splashtop at this year's Consumer Electronics Show in January, | then gave us the chance to take a hands-on look at this intriguing system | software. `---- http://www.linux.com/feature/128004 Related: Preboot environment turns PC into CE ,----[ Quote ] | DeviceVM demonstrated a Linux-powered PC preboot application environment that | l...

[News] [Linux] Intel Upset About 'Fat' Windows, Will Use Linux
Intel on $100 laptops, smartphones and the Ne ,----[ Quote ] | The chips Intel is designing are intended to run Windows XP, | though Chandrasekher said he is frustrated that Microsoft has not | yet delivered a small-scale version of the operating system. He | also said that many of these devices will run on Linux. `---- http://money.cnn.com/2007/05/11/technology/fastforward_inteltiny.fortune/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote Related: Intel to unveil Linux based UMPCs next week ,----[ Quote ] | With the success of the Pepper Pad and the Nokia N800, it certainly | appears that Intel is recogniz...

Web resources about - Another Blow To The So Called Linux Security - Study: Safest OS isn't Windows--or Linux - comp.os.linux.advocacy

The Windows Blog

Review Roundup: 9.7-inch iPad Pro – a worthwhile upgrade, but not a Windows laptop replacement
... rather than a full review. Phil Schiller set a high bar when he said that one of the markets Apple was targeting included users of older Windows ...

A close look at the Never 10 automatic upgrades disabler for Windows 7, Windows 8.x
Never 10 is a new freeware tool which aims to prevent Windows 7 and Windows 8.x systems from automatically updating to Windows 10. Sounds like ...

As Apple battles the FBI, Microsoft just created a special government version of Windows 10 for China ...
Thanks to Apple's recent legal wrangling with the FBI (which has seemingly come to an end ), issues such as mobile encryption and government ...

This simple app will block Microsoft from downloading Windows 10 on your PC
Microsoft wants everyone to upgrade to its new Windows 10 PC operating system. But for those who don't like change, there's a new app that promises ...

Windows 10 quick tips: How to share a single PC
... need to be shared between two or more workers, or handed off to a temporary worker without being completely wiped each time. And Windows 10 ...

Windows 10 market share breaks 20 percent, but pace of growth still slowing
Windows 10's adoption rate has crept above to 20% line, at least intermittently. While that's progress for Microsoft, the company appears to ...

No, The 9.7 iPad Pro Won't Replace A Windows Laptop
Apple is again pushing it's iPad as the "ultimate" PC replacement. Nice try.