Apple: an 'App Store' Is Not a Store For Apps

<http://apple.slashdot.org/story/11/05/20/1947231/Apple-an-App-Store-Is-Not-a-Store-For-Apps>

<quote>
"What would be your first guess about what an app store sells? Don't
be fooled, Apple warns, the phrase 'app store' is not generic and can
only be used to describe Cupertino's... um, app store? 'Apple denies
that, based on their common meaning, the words "app store" together
denote a store for apps,' Apple said in a Thursday filing with a
California district court. All this notwithstanding that Jobs himself
used the phrase generically while referring to Android app
stores. We've previously discussed this ongoing legal battle."
</quote>

Reminds me of a wintroll who once stated that the meanng of the word
advocacy is not-advocacy. Well he was kind of dumb as he also stated
that security is a binary thing! The name just skips me at the
moment. :-)
0
hardon.quirk (1466)

On Sat, 21 May 2011 06:53:45 +0000, Hardon wrote:

> <http://apple.slashdot.org/story/11/05/20/1947231/Apple-an-App-Store-Is-
Not-a-Store-For-Apps>

> <quote>
> "What would be your first guess about what an app store sells? Don't be
> fooled, Apple warns, the phrase 'app store' is not generic and can only
> be used to describe Cupertino's... um, app store? 'Apple denies that,
> based on their common meaning, the words "app store" together denote a
> store for apps,' Apple said in a Thursday filing with a California
> district court. All this notwithstanding that Jobs himself used the
> phrase generically while referring to Android app stores. We've
> previously discussed this ongoing legal battle." </quote>
>
> Reminds me of a wintroll who once stated that the meanng of the word
> advocacy is not-advocacy. Well he was kind of dumb as he also stated
> that security is a binary thing! The name just skips me at the moment.
> :-)

From another article on the subject...

~~
Apple has started its defense on the ownership of the "App Store"
trademark and we must say that while we do love Apple products, who do
these Cupertino lawyers think their (sic) kidding?

Well now Apple has the best lawyers money can by and they've come up with
their defense. We're not going to bore you with the details but there was
one interesting statement in their filing with the Federal Court in
Oakland, California:

“Apple denies that, based on their common meaning, the words ‘app store’
together denote a store for apps.”

Read it as many times as you want.
~~
http://www.gizmocrunch.com/apple/6953-apple-app-store-defense

Yeah, and the words "shoe store" specifically mean "Wolverine Boots" -- or
something equally stupid.

--
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
On Sat, 21 May 2011 07:55:33 +0000, RonB wrote:

> From another article on the subject...
>
> ~~
> Apple has started its defense on the ownership of the "App Store"
> trademark and we must say that while we do love Apple products, who do
> these Cupertino lawyers think their (sic) kidding? ...
>
> Well now Apple has the best lawyers money can by and they've come up
> with their defense. We're not going to bore you with the details but
> there was one interesting statement in their filing with the Federal
> Court in Oakland, California:
>
> “Apple denies that, based on their common meaning, the words ‘app store’
> together denote a store for apps.”
>
> Read it as many times as you want.
> ~~
> http://www.gizmocrunch.com/apple/6953-apple-app-store-defense
>
> Yeah, and the words "shoe store" specifically mean "Wolverine Boots" --
> or something equally stupid.

You would think Apple are on to a loser here but US law never fails to
amaze me in its stupidity and / or corruption. After all, when Gates
lied under oath that removing IE from the OS would make windows slow
and a rigged demo was shown as such he got away scot-free.

Microsoft's illegally maintained desktop OS is being eroded but no
thanks to the legal system.
0
hardon.quirk (1466)
5/21/2011 8:14:31 AM
Verily I say unto thee, that Hardon spake thusly:

> Reminds me of a wintroll who once stated that the meanng of the word
> advocacy is not-advocacy. Well he was kind of dumb as he also stated
> that security is a binary thing! The name just skips me at the moment.
> :-)

Ah yes, Erik Fudabunch, Microsoft Munchkin #1.

I think they have him strapped to a chair in a psychiatric retirement
home now, where he spends his days drooling and playing minefield.

--
K.                           | "The poor have flat-screen TVs."
http://slated.org            | ~ Libertarian propagandist Keith
On Sat, 21 May 2011 09:58:10 +0100, Homer wrote:

> Verily I say unto thee, that Hardon spake thusly:
>
>> Reminds me of a wintroll who once stated that the meanng of the
>> word advocacy is not-advocacy. Well he was kind of dumb as he also
>> stated that security is a binary thing! The name just skips me at
>> the moment.  :-)
>
> Ah yes, Erik Fudabunch, Microsoft Munchkin #1.
>
> I think they have him strapped to a chair in a psychiatric
> retirement home now, where he spends his days drooling and playing
> minefield.

Ewik was still a class act compared to the current crop of trolls. Ok,
he wet his knickers when he 'exposed' Rex but he learnt a lesson from
that fiasco. He wasn't stupid. Shelton has taken over his role these
days. The rest of the wintrolls are simply stupid. No cure, so sad.
0
hardon.quirk (1466)
5/21/2011 9:11:15 AM
Homer wrote:

> that Hardon spake thusly:
>
>> Reminds me of a wintroll who once stated that the meanng of the word
>> advocacy is not-advocacy. Well he was kind of dumb as he also stated
>> that security is a binary thing! The name just skips me at the moment.
>> :-)
>
>Ah yes, Erik Fudabunch, Microsoft Munchkin #1.
>
>I think they have him strapped to a chair in a psychiatric retirement
>home now, where he spends his days drooling and playing minefield.

Sanity is binary, you know.    8)

--
'You'll notice I didn't use the word "secure".  Security is binary.
Protection, on the other hand, is more fuzzy than "secure", much like
stupid asshole "chrisv" <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
home now, where he spends his days drooling and playing minefield.

> Sanity is binary, you know.    8)

chrisv is a useless piece of shit, you know.

0
killa5283 (13)

Antitrust fight against Apple's App Store rules faces 'steep' climb
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9209838/Antitrust_fight_against_Ap ple_s_App_Store_rules_faces_steep_climb -- Mike ...

Apple fails to get US 'App Store' trademark injunction
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/07/apple_amazon_trademark/> <quote> Judge backs Amazon against fruitbite cargo cult Apple's claim that it owns the trademark "app store" has been dismissed by a US court. The computer giant was seeking a preliminary injunction to stop Amazon calling its "app store" the "Appstore". Apple claimed that "App Store" was a distinctive mark, even though the words app and store are well-known and well-understood. This claim was rather undermined by Apple's own Steve Jobs, who called Apple's app store: "the easiest-to-use largest app store in the world, preloaded on every iPhone": a claim which suggests that there are other app stores and that people understand what that phrase means. Apple filed for trademark protection with the US Patent Office in July 2008. Microsoft has already opposed the mark on grounds that it is generic – which could be seen as funny coming from the company which trademarked the word "Windows". </quote> Verily I say unto thee, that Hardon spake thusly: ><http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/07/apple_amazon_trademark/> > ><quote> > Judge backs Amazon against fruitbite cargo cult So first Amazon loses the right to monopolise "One Click". Then Apple loses the right to monopolise "App Store". Why don't these idiots stop trying to monopolise things, and just get back to working for a...

App Store is not a store for apps
"Hi, I've got an iPhone and I would like to buy an app for it." "What's the problem?" "Well, at what store do I buy the app?" "At the App Store." "Huh?" "You buy an app for your iPhone at the App Store." "No, Apple says an app store is not a store for apps, so where do I buy my app?" "At the App Store." Okay... I'm talking, but you're not listening. Apple says that the App Store is *not* a store for apps, so *where* do *I* *buy* an app for my iPhone? "At the App Store." "I'll talk slower. Apple - has - clearly - stated - that - an - app - store - is - not - a - store - for - apps. So - WHERE - DO - I- BUY - AN - APP - FOR - MY - IPHONE?" "Uh... you don't." "Huh?" "Apple iPhones are perfect -- just as they come out of the box -- you don't need any additional apps. And the logo is beautiful... Gaze at the logo." "But I... uh... ooooooh, shiny..." -- RonB Registered Linux User #498581 CentOS 5.6 or VectorLinux Deluxe 6.0 On Sat, 21 May 2011 08:12:58 +0000, RonB wrote: > [snip] In a nutshell. :-) RonB wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties: > "No, Apple says an app store is not a store for apps, so where do I buy my > app?" "Take this bottle, it's formaldehyde." "What do you want me to do with it." "It's for Mel t...

Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)'s App Store v1.3 (201)'s "Updates installed ..." section.
Hello. I have a couple questions with the new Mavericks OS (clean install): 1. Is there a way to hide this "Updates Installed In The Last 30 Days" section? It keeps confusing me that these are new updates available to download and install until I read the section's title. :P I like how Windows does its update history hidden at first and then I can view them when I want to. 2. Is there a way to show more than 30 days when Mavericks' release is over 30 days old? Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "A centipede is an ant made to Canadian/government specs." --unknown /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting, ( ) then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. Ant wrote: > Hello. > > I have a couple questions with the new Mavericks OS (clean install): > > 1. Is there a way to hide this "Updates Installed In The Last 30 Days" > section? It keeps confusing me that these are new updates available to > download and install until I read the section's title. :P I like how > Windows does its update history hidden at first and then I can view them > when I want to. > > 2. Is there a way to show more than 30 days when Mavericks' release is > over 30...

Free math' app' threatens commercial math' app's
For Mac math' buffs, a new FREE open-source math' app' called SAGE will be available for free shortly, which claims to beat expensive commercial software like Mathematica which costs $2,500 Some team of math' experts at University of Washington are developing the app' Supposedly SAGE has already won awards in open competition at some world-wide math' conference. <http://uwnews.washington.edu/ni/article.asp?articleID=38459> Mark- In article <noneof-AC775C.02292008122007@earthlink.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>, Mark Conrad <noneof@urbusiness.invalid...

Any way to search in both 'To' and 'From' fields in Apple Mail with Google App's IMAP?
'Entire message' is broken with Google's IMAP and simply doesn't work at all. No results at all. It's annoying to have to use the web interface for Google App's email (i.e. Gmail using a custom domain) just to do a proper search. Any way around this? TIA, Jamie Kahn Genet -- If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate. ...

RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other
> -----Original Message----- > From: JF Mezei [mailto:jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com]=20 > Sent: October 11, 2004 11:45 PM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions=20 > VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS')=20 > other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other=20 > OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other=20 >=20 > "Main, Kerry" wrote: > > Course, there are many ways to offer differen...

Fans rap Apple's 'crap' Map app
I do think that the fickle Apple Fans are an ungrateful lot. They've just got their brand new 1OS 6, complete with freedom *not* to be able to use Google maps, and all they can do is complain! Worthless wretches - obviously ought to be expelled from the Apple barrel. Just look at some of the trivia that these folks complain about, after all Apple's hard work:- <quote> Apple today faced the ire of thousands of irritated iOS 6 users who upgraded to the new version of the iDevice operating system only to discover the Cupertino's new Maps app is, well, pants. As we noted in our review of iOS 6 yesterday, Apple dropped Google's mapping system in favour of one of its own. The result is an attractive-looking app but one that lacks many of the places of interest - local landmarks, shops and other businesses, entertainment venues, amenities and such - listed by Google. And its satellite imagery lacks the fine resolution of almost all of Google's tech, especially when you view the terrain outside major cities. The upshot: it's a bit rubbish, and folk who use the map regularly are getting hot under the collar. One iPad owner who uses Google Maps for close-up viewing of archaeological sites said: "With iOS 5, I had generally very good resolution, colour imagery of ancient sites, enough to see features not readily seen on the ground. Now the resolution is lower, so I can't zoom in to examine a featur...

Google Is Stealing Revenue Share From Apple's App Store
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/apple-loses-revenue-share-to-google-in-apps-2014-5 -- Harry the Fanboy On Thursday, June 19, 2014 11:46:18 PM UTC-4, Harry Mudd the Fanboy wrote: > http://www.businessinsider.com.au/apple-loses-revenue-share-to-google-in-= apps-2014-5 >=20 > --=20 >=20 > Harry the Fanboy And in the real world..... http://fortune.com/2014/06/18/apples-app-revenue-growing-100-per-year/ "However, tucked away in the notes and management commentary are some intri= guing details about app revenues. Using these details we calculate that app= ...

MATLAB Mobile is available via Apple's Apps Store
MATLAB Mobile for iPhone is now available via Apple&#8217;s App Store. MATLAB Mobile provides a lightweight MATLAB desktop for the iPhone that connects to MATLAB running on a computer. It provides command line access for MATLAB and any add-on product for which a user is licensed. To install, the licensed user downloads the free MATLAB Mobile app to their iPhone, and downloads and installs the free MATLAB Connector&#8482; on their computer. MATLAB Mobile can be used wherever you have network access to the computer with your MATLAB installation. MATLAB Mobile for iPhone 1.0 Con...

SARCASTIC POST: Linux Can't Run This 'Killer' App -- WHY ?!?
<sarcasm and irony> After 2 solid years of Linvocacy -- I have met my match... This critical piece of software: http://www.virtuagirls.com/ DOES NOT RUN ON LINUX !?!!? Only Windos users can: Run Virtual Girl 2, "a shareware program featuring dancers on your desktop. They say hi in the morning, remind you of your appointments and dance for you whenever you want them to. We mean right on the desktop. dancers basically live on the tool bar. They are in front of any other application and you can enjoy them while using your computer normally." Linux will never catch up to W...

'is not' or '!='
A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements like: if x is not None: and if x != None: Without any context, which one should be preferred? IMHO, the latter is more readable. On 2014-08-18 21:35, ElChino wrote: > A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements > like: > if x is not None: > and > if x != None: > > Without any context, which one should be preferred? > IMHO, the latter is more readable. > "x == y" tells you whether x and y refer to objects that are equal. "x is y" tells you whether x and y actually refer to the same object. In the case of singletons like None (there's only one None object), it's better to use "is". "ElChino" <elchino@cnn.cn>: > A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements > like: > if x is not None: > and > if x != None: Do the following: take two $10 bills. Hold one bill in the left hand, hold the other bill in the right hand. Now, the bill in the left hand "is not" the bill in the right hand. However, the bill in the left hand "==" the bill in the right hand. > Without any context, which one should be preferred? > IMHO, the latter is more readable. In almost all cases, both tests would result in the same behavior. However, the "is not" test is conceptually the correct one since you want...

how do you ''see'' an Apple Personal LaserWriter 320 in Linux?
hi there people! as part of a ''low cost / no cost'' computing project I was asked to get a few PCs and a few printers connected on a network. the setup is a PC running DebIan (Etch) Linux with SaMBa (as the PC server) two PCs running WinXP SP2 for printing -- there is an Epson USB inkjet printer (R200) and an Apple Personal LaserWriter 320 now the 2 PCs running Win XP and the Epson Inket are relatively new. The PC running DebIan is 4 yrs old and has a 1GHz processor. the Apple laser was acquired some time ago and kept in storage until this time it was attach...

Mac OS X 10.8.5's App Store keeps offering the free 10.10 Mavericks...
Hello. Mac OS X 10.8.5's App Store keeps offering the free 10.10 Mavericks when I manually check for updates. I right clicked and hid this update to make it go away. After I exit App Store and recheck for updates, it returns. Why is it not hiding? I don't want it! :( Thank you in advance. :) -- "Are you slower than an ant?" --Sai Yuk from The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk movie (English subtitles) /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | ...

Mac OS X 10.8.5's App Store v1.2.2 (129.16) does not see the updated iTunes v11.3?
Hello. I noticed there is a newer iTunes at v11.3, but for some reason my Mac OS X 10.8.5's AppStore v1.2.2 (129.16) does not see it. However, iTunes v11.2.2 (64-bit; 3) detected an update and offered me to get it (went to App Store which doesn't see it)? What's up? My Mac OS X 10.7.5 and 10.9.4 machines did not have this problem. Did anyone else run into this especially in 10.8.5? Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Stan, are you OK?" --Francine; "Yeah. Hey, you look like ants from down here. Wait, wait, those are just ants on my eyes..." --Stan from American Dad's S3E15 (Stanny Slickers 2: The Legend of Ollie's Gold) deleted scene /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting, ( ) then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. In comp.sys.mac.system Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote: > I noticed there is a newer iTunes at v11.3, but for some reason my Mac > OS X 10.8.5's AppStore v1.2.2 (129.16) does not see it. However, iTunes > v11.2.2 (64-bit; 3) detected an update and offered me to get it (went to > App Store which doesn't see it)? What's up? I don't know, but I'm at iTunes 11.2.1, and the App Store hasn't done anything about that s...

App sought that issues 'mouse codes' from the keyboard or 'script'
OK - Wierd request time. I'm after an app that lets me issue 'mouse codes' from the keyboard or from a script. So, for example, I could run a script that says... Move absolute to (1008, 600) Select on Move relative (5,8) Select off Which would have the same effect as from screen coordinate (1008,600) holding the select botton down while dragging the mouse 5 pixels across and 8 pixels up. It'd be ideal if this ran everytime I pressed, say f1. Can anyone suggest how I can achieve this ? On the one hand, I'm thinking this should be possible, but on the other I can't ...

I logged onto the Apple Store (not the App Store) the other day...
....and I got "Oops, file not found". What was that about? In article <d4ed76f1-f57d-4285-ac90-b0609e9a91ff@18g2000yqu.googlegroups.com>, Le Chiffre <oraclmaster@gmail.com> wrote: > ...and I got > > "Oops, file not found". > > What was that about? Usually means that the link you entered had a typo in it. It should be <http://store.apple.com>...at least, that's what always works for me. -- Spenser sbt <dogbreath@chaseabone.com.invalid> wrote: > In article > <d4ed76f1-f57d-4285-ac90-b0609e9a91ff@18g2000yqu.googlegroups.com>, Le > Chiffre <oraclmaster@gmail.com> wrote: > > > ...and I got > > > > "Oops, file not found". > > > > What was that about? > > Usually means that the link you entered had a typo in it. It should be > <http://store.apple.com>...at least, that's what always works for me. apple.com/store works as well. -- If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate. ...

'Linux is perfect' and 'Linux is perfect for' idiocy
Straight up 'Linux is perfect' idiocy: ========================================================================= "Linux is perfect." Posted by: unknown at March 26, 2005 03:57 PM http://www.goodexperience.com/tib/archives/2005/03/apple_mail_filt.html "Linux is perfect." http://www.deadtroll.com/index2.html?/video/ossuckscable.html~content "Linux is perfect: its open source nature and excellent shell make it the ultimate hobbyist's operating system." http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/top-50-best-linux-apps-2011-1014373 "Linux is perfect" comment by Mr.chippy http://blenderartists.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-218660.html?s=7ca405d1beb423b9015bd2ff62fb90bb "Linux is perfect" comment by jackblack http://blenderartists.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-218660.html?s=7ca405d1beb423b9015bd2ff62fb90bb "Linux is perfect!" http://abaldwin360.tumblr.com/post/23175853511/why-do-hipsters-use-macs-linux-is-so-much-less "Linux is perfect" ..sig of LSeraphim http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=97991.15 "Linux is perfect." Anonymous10/14/2010 03:06:00 PM http://www.techbroil.com/2010/10/linux-desktop-needs-to-bake-for-3-5.html "Linux is perfect" comment by albert http://web.archive.org/web/20080720151740/http://the-half-decent-pharmaceutical-chemistry-blog.chemblogs.org/archives/2008/01/02/all-is-quiet-on-new-y...

do 'os.path' include 'os' for us?
Hi, I wrote a python script to list files in a directory but somehow did it wrongly by importing os.path instead of os. To my astonishment, it works just as charm: #!/usr/bin/python import os.path for file in os.listdir('/root/'): print file I was wondering why? os.path doesn't contain listdir, why there is no complaint like 'os: unknown name'? Does this mean, instead of importing os, we can import os.path? Thanks. On Mar 27, 6:41=A0pm, Jerry Fleming <jerry.flem...@saybot.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I wrote a python script to list files in a directory but ...

The "Tipping Point" for app's, ALL app's ?
tipping point - ************** noun The point at which a series of small ineffective changes acquires enough pressure or importance to cause a larger, more significant change. The point at which the buildup of minor incidents reaches a level that causes someone to do something they had formerly resisted. ---------------------------------------------------- Lots of Mac users, myself included, are impatiently waiting for the "tipping point" to be reached in lots of app's. ("MacSpeech Dictate" in particular) The point where the app's are _immediately...

Android People app, 'call'/'text' actions and VOIP softphones
Nexus 7, running Android 4.1. It's the wifi only version, so has no GSM radio. To make voice calls I have two apps installed: Skype and MobileVOIP (a SIP client from Betamax for their myriad of different brands). In the 'People' display of the tablet, I get a list of contacts. It has entries like: John Smith Voice: +44 1234567890 If I press on 'Voice' I get to choose either Skype or MobileVOIP. If I press Skype, Skype starts, flashes up an error and closes. If I press MobileVOIP it opens to send a text to +44 1234567890. It doesn't offer to make ...

[News] Android/Linux Winning the 'Apps War'

Can't log into app store
I can log into iTunes with my Apple ID but when I try that in the App Store, it gives me "Unknown Error" and "There was an error in the App Store. Please try again later. (4)" How do I fix this? Sounds like the problem is on their end. -- _____________________________ Ron, the humblest guy in town In message <1kytacr.8w8yh1nxjo5eN%RonTheGuy@null.invalid> Ron <RonTheGuy@null.invalid> wrote: > I can log into iTunes with my Apple ID but when I try that in the App > Store, it gives me "Unknown Error" and "There was an error in the App > Store. Please try again later. (4)" > How do I fix this? Sounds like the problem is on their end. <http://www.google.com/search?q=%22there+was+an+error+in+the+app+store.+please+try+again+later.+(4)%22> -- When someone asks you, A penny for your thoughts, and you put your two cents in, what happens to the other penny? Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote: > In message <1kytacr.8w8yh1nxjo5eN%RonTheGuy@null.invalid> > Ron <RonTheGuy@null.invalid> wrote: > > I can log into iTunes with my Apple ID but when I try that in the App > > Store, it gives me "Unknown Error" and "There was an error in the App > > Store. Please try again later. (4)" > > How do I fix this? Sounds like the problem is on their end. > > <http://www.google.com/search?q=%22there+...

Apple Store / Linux Store
I wandered into an Apple Store again recently. Asked them to unlock a computer so I could open a terminal and look around at the OS. Nice machines, but I still don't trust Apple and their spyware, or their Mac trolls. So, why not a "Linux Store"? Maybe your local LUG is interested: open a kiosk in the local mall to demonstrate Linux to people who are passing by. Let them get online and see how Linux works. Provide free Linux CDs. Invite people to the next meeting for assistance with installing Linux. It could be done on a busy weekend at a popular local mall in your area......

Web resources about - Apple: an 'App Store' Is Not a Store For Apps - comp.os.linux.advocacy