bring it on says Micros~1 to Linux

Microsoft to Linux: 'Bring it on'
Graeme Wearden April 21 2004

[...]

Bradley Tipp, Microsoft's national system engineer, told the LinuxUser &
Developer Expo in London that competition is good for the whole software
industry and will lead to better products emerging from Redmond,
Wash.-based Microsoft.

"The thing I like is that Microsoft does its best work and is most
innovative when it has competition, so bring it on," Tipp said.

[...]

"There's probably not real competition on the desktop today," said Asay.
"In a year or two years, we'll see frantic competition." [Matt Asay -
Novell]

[...]

One show attendee noted how difficult it is to buy a laptop that doesn't
come with proprietary software already installed.

Jeremy Allison, of the Samba team at Hewlett-Packard, said that this is
a problem and acknowledged that the first thing he had done with his
work laptop was to reformat it and remove Windows.

"I was annoyed that I couldn't get a refund. It's a scandal that you
can't do that," said Allison.

He added that HP recently said it will ship laptops with a version of
Linux preinstalled and predicted that the IT industry would soon see
"much more from HP in that area."

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5196651.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=news
- unquote -

Why are there no dual boot Linux/Windows machines from the OEMs ?
0
daeron2 (1670)

Daeron wrote:

> [SNIP]
> Why are there no dual boot Linux/Windows machines from the OEMs ?

Because of the contracts OEMs sign with Microsoft to get cheap copies of
Windows. If they installed Linux, BSD, or anything other than Windows (even
shipping a PC with a blank HDD), Microsoft would raise the price of Windows
on them and bye-bye profit margin.

0
John
4/21/2004 10:03:42 PM
John <nospam@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:<2dChc.5953$gH6.3964@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> Daeron wrote:
>
> > [SNIP]
> > Why are there no dual boot Linux/Windows machines from the OEMs ?
>
> Because of the contracts OEMs sign with Microsoft to get cheap copies of
> Windows. If they installed Linux, BSD, or anything other than Windows (even
> shipping a PC with a blank HDD), Microsoft would raise the price of Windows
> on them and bye-bye profit margin.

Think of the bright side!  This is a way to get a legal copy of all
that MS code and use it legally under WINE (this assumes that the
laptop is ready to run when you get it).  Don't click "I Accept" for
the EULA, copy the files to another system before loading Linux/BSD/...

You will have good usable files with no bothersome EULA and no
copyright violations.
0
gizmo99 (86)

My Linux is not your Linux

I have Linux! I have Linux!
Ok, after two days of trying to get Windos 1900 installed and working , I sat down an hour ago and installed Linux. In an hour. Smirk. Ok, I will be honest. I did have some problems, but I believe they were of my own ignorance. 0) I started with trying to install Suse. However, I couldn't get it to install. Why? Because I didn't read the menu. There is a startup menu and the first entry is boot to harddisk. I thought that was the thing to do so I did it about 4 times. Then I gave up. However, I went back to it and subsequently realized that I should have chosen the 2nd menu, "Install Linux". Duh. 1) Luckily I had the 3 Fedora RC disks. So, I installed that instead (there's a twist, see bottom). Installed quickly (and I mean QUICK -- I installed the Workstation Setup and it went faster than anything I've seen) and easily EXCEPT for DSL. I sort of it remember it asking questions about networking and DSL the last time I installed it on my personal machine, but this time it installed a driver for eth0 and that's it. Ok, so I went in and deleted eth0 and installed an xDSL entry ( using eth0 as the hardware ) and set up my earthlink settings. 2) Ok, so it hooked up quick. Which is a side story. This is an ASUS motherboard with modem, NIC, video, audio on the board. It comes with a CD full of windos drivers. When windos 1900 starts up, it does an autologic and plays the little Windos noise. Then the machine pauses for 1 to 2 m...

Why linux is linux

Linux not really our competitor says Micros~1 exec
Microsoft executive on Linux, 64-bit computing Carol Sliwa and Craig Stedman May 18 2004 Q: How is Microsoft differentiating itself from the Linux competition? I don't really think that Linux itself is our competitor. I think Linux is a set of technologies ..They put them together, stacks with other software .. The cost of acquiring that is actually quite comparable to the cost of acquiring a Microsoft solution. We .. do a better job of providing an integrated experience for the customer relative to our competitors. ... Some of our competitors, IBM most notably, are predominantly a consulting company. And for them, complexity is a benefit, because it allows them to sell consulting services .. ... I think if you look at Linux and Linux stacks and the companies that are promoting those, they have a vested interest in selling consulting services. We don't. It's that simple .. ... There are users running Linux that don't rely on consulting services. There are workloads that are simple that can be deployed independently, ... we also do a better job of integrating. For example, our DNS server integrates with Active Directory. ... Application migration off of Unix is one where certainly Linux has some traction .. ... You've got an old printer .. the manufacturer stopped selling three years ago ..The manufacturer (has little incentive) to put out a driver for that printer. [Bob Muglia - Microsoft] http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php?id=606261041&...

Linux borrowed optimizations from Windows says Micros~1
No Longhorn at Microsoft's Tech Ed Joris Evers May 19 2004 San Francisco [...] The absence of Longhorn at Tech Ed is a sign that Microsoft is getting back to what matters for its customers and itself, said Joe Wilcox, a senior analyst at Jupiter Research in Washington, D.C. [...] Tech Ed goers can also hear from Microsoft where it stands on Linux. One session promises a side-by-side comparison of the Windows and Linux kernel over the past few years. In the session calendar, Microsoft says Linux has become more like Windows as Linux developers have "borrowed" some Windows high performance optimizations ... - http://www.itworld.com/Man/3828/040519teched/ Daeron wrote: > No Longhorn at Microsoft's Tech Ed > Joris Evers May 19 2004 San Francisco > > [...] > > The absence of Longhorn at Tech Ed is a sign that Microsoft is getting > back to what matters for its customers and itself, said Joe Wilcox, a > senior analyst at Jupiter Research in Washington, D.C. > > [...] > > Tech Ed goers can also hear from Microsoft where it stands on Linux. One > session promises a side-by-side comparison of the Windows and Linux > kernel over the past few years. In the session calendar, Microsoft says > Linux has become more like Windows as Linux developers have "borrowed" > some Windows high performance optimizations ... > > - http://www.itworld.com/Man/3828/040519teched/ Can't really be. Windows gets...

[News] [Linux] IBM Brings Linux to AIX and i5/OS Machines Using New Software
IBM Previews Virtualization Management Tool for Power-Based Boxes ,----[ Quote ] | ...Virtual Availability Manager, within the Systems Director | Virtualization Manager tool will allow customers who deploy a Xen | hypervisor on their Linux-on-X64 servers to create what IBM is | calling a "high availability farm" that can be used to rehost | virtual machine partitions that are taken out by crashes. `---- http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh062507-story07.html On Jun 25, 11:06 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@schestowitz.com> wrote: > IBM Previews Virtualization Management To...

linux today
bawawawa!!!! linux. I hate it already!!!! http://fr.linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2010081101435OSMR The consistent failure of Linux to grab even 1% of the desktop OS market Aug 11, 2010 "Linux has been around for almost two decades now. It has become a resounding success as a server OS (for example as the L in the famous LAMP stack), and more recently as a mobile OS (Android). But what about on the desktop? "Linux enthusiasts have been predicting the rise of Linux as a desktop OS for the better part of a decade. To name just one of many examples, in 2003, Siemens Business Systems predicted that Linux would have captured 20% of the desktop market by 2008. "Well, it's now 2010, and desktop Linux isn't even close to 20%. Or one tenth of that." On 2010-10-10, One Shot, One-Kill <fredie@gmail.com> wrote: One snot, one shill wanks on about the shrinking "desktop market"... Who the fuck cares about "the desktop"? Oh, I know ....WINTROLLS... Is there even a desktop "market" any more? Linux is EVERYWHERE! It's on your router..it's in your TV it's on your phone... -- Regards, Gregory. Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power On 10 Oct 2010 05:36:07 GMT, Gregory Shearman <ZekeGregory@netscape.net> wrote: > One snot, one shill wanks on about the shrinking "desktop market"... > Who the fuck cares about "the desktop"? What a total joke he ...

[News] A Look at GNU/Linux Distributions Igelle 1.0.0, Zenwalk Linux, Salix OS, and GoblinX

Trouble Installing Linux/Cisco VPN Client Has anyone had trouble compiling the linux cisco vpn client? Here is the output of the install script: # uname -rviosm Linux 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl #1
Has anyone had trouble compiling the linux cisco vpn client? Here is the output of the install script: # uname -rviosm Linux 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl #1 Wed Apr 21 20:19:18 EDT 2004 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux ../vpn_install Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.0.3 (B) Linux Installer Copyright (C) 1998-2001 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved. By installing this product you agree that you have read the license.txt file (The VPN Client license) and will comply with its terms. Directory where binaries will be installed [/usr/local/bin] Automatically start the VPN service at boot time [yes] In order to build the VPN kernel module, you must have the kernel headers for the version of the kernel you are running. For RedHat 6.x users these files are installed in /usr/src/linux by default For RedHat 7.x users these files are installed in /usr/src/linux-2.4 by default For Suse 7.3 users these files are installed in /usr/src/linux-2.4.10.SuSE by de fault Directory containing linux kernel source code [/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2188.nptl/b uild] * Binaries will be installed in "/usr/local/bin". * Modules will be installed in "/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2188.nptl/CiscoVPN". * The VPN service will be started AUTOMATICALLY at boot time. * Kernel source from "/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2188.nptl/build" will be used to bui ld the module. Is the above correct [y] y Making module In file included from Cniapi.h:15, from linuxcniapi.c:24: GenDefs.h...

Linux users have to install by pushing floppy after floppy into drive says MICROS~1
EV1Servers.net Leading Hosted Service Provider Deploys Windows-based Hosting Solutions Faster than Linux-based Solutions case study Posted: September 15, 2003 "Automated Deployment Services (ADS)�a powerful new server purposing tool in Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition" "Business managers at EV1 Servers.net knew that there was a demand for a Microsoft Windows-based hosted service offering" "Executives at the company were well aware that customers were making inquiries about purchasing dedicated hosting services built on the Microsoft� Windows� operating system" "EV1 Servers.net personnel knew how to deploy a Linux-based server quickly. They had script-filled floppies ready to go, and on a moment's notice they could slip a floppy into a bare Dell PowerEdge 1600SC and walk away" "By pushing floppy after floppy into the drive of a bare metal server, EV1 Servers.net's data center team could easily meet the demand for 1,000 new servers per week" "Unless they could find a way to bring that level of automation to the deployment of a Windows-based server, they saw no way to meet a similar level of demand for Windows-based hosting services" "With the Microsoft Solution for Windows-based Hosting, EV1 Servers.net personnel would not even have to go from machine to machine inserting floppies" "ADS made it possible to deploy a server running Microsoft Windows Server 2003 with Interne...

[...]

Linux users have to install by pushing floppy after floppy into drive says MICROS~1 #2
EV1Servers.net Leading Hosted Service Provider Deploys Windows-based Hosting Solutions Faster than Linux-based Solutions case study Posted: September 15, 2003 "Automated Deployment Services (ADS)�a powerful new server purposing tool in Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition" "Business managers at EV1 Servers.net knew that there was a demand for a Microsoft Windows-based hosted service offering" "Executives at the company were well aware that customers were making inquiries about purchasing dedicated hosting services built on the Microsoft� Windows� operat...

[News] 4 Linux Releases: Foresight Linux 1.1, Ubuntu CE 2.2, Kwort 2.2, Mandriva 2007.1 RC1
Foresight Linux 1.1 is out ! http://foresightlinux.com/downloads/ Kwort [Slackware derivative] 2.2 final released! ,----[ Quote ] | I'm proud to announce that Kwort 2.2 final version has been released | after a very long time (more than a year). The system is very stable | and very usable. `---- http://kwort.org/?page=NewsViewer&ID=45&PHPSESSID=1d286ac69fabebf18b4db27ded0b277d Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring RC1 (aka "Xianyang") ,----[ Quote ] | New since Mandriva Linux 2007: | | * Major desktop components | o KDE 3.5.6 | o GNOME 2.18 (RC: final release will include GNOME 2.18) | o OpenOffice.org 2.1 | o Mozilla Firefox 2.0 `---- http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandriva/2007.1/Development/RC1 ...

os.linux.advocacy
Dear Friend, I have found some great articles at: http://www.familyandtwist.com/ http:www.articlestwist.com/ http://www.downloadstwist.com/ http://www.wallpaperstwist.com/ Read them all. Thanks mahmar07@gmail.com came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard a moment ago in comp.os.linux.advocacy: > Dear Friend, > > I have found some great articles at: > <URLs snipped> > Read them all. > > Thanks Not without a summary, I ain't. -- Spanking brand new high end desktop computer: £1700 Spanking brand new colour laser printer/scanner/copier/fax: £600 Vista Ultimate: £369 The look on your face when nothing works: priceless Verily I say unto thee, that Jim spake thusly: > mahmar07@gmail.com came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard a > moment ago in comp.os.linux.advocacy: > >> Dear Friend, >> >> I have found some great articles at: >> > <URLs snipped> >> Read them all. >> >> Thanks > > Not without a summary, I ain't. It's worse than that, it's spam Jim, spam Jim, spam Jim. It's worse than that, it's spam Jim, spam Jim, spam. -- K. http://slated.org ..---- | "People are not happy in stinking hellholes of abject poverty, what | is true is that once you cross subsistence ... additional increases | in wealth have virtually no effect on well-being ... This is worth | knowing in case you have a choice between "X...

[News] [Linux] MIT Brings Linux to Uruguay, IBM Brings Open Source to Western Michigan University
Uruguay Children Try Low-Cost Laptops ,----[ Quote | Some children began warming to the computers by playing "Tetris," a | popular falling-blocks puzzle video game. Later they will explore | the Linux operating system. `---- http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070518/hundred_dollar_laptop.html?.v=2 Western Michigan University Teams With IBM to Help Students Build Business and Technology Skills for the 21st Century ,----[ Quote ] | IBM is working with partner schools that support open computing standards | and seek to use open source and IBM technologies for teaching purposes, | both directly...

[News] Almost 1 in 10 in UK Magazine Poll Use GNU/Linux on Desktop, Linux Machines Come From NHS Linux Club

No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size being = too small on my 19 inch monitor. As Moi was saying... I tried two more additional downloads of elementary OS Linux. Both of them= likewise failed. While they could have been discriminating against Moi for his ZERO contribu= tion, I will be damned if I am going to PAY GOOD money for something when t= here is no guarantee that the stupid DOWNLOAD wont fail, JUST TO FIND OUT t= hat it WONT work at all on my computer hardware, let alone whether OR NOT i= t will actually do what is being claimed. Moi has NEVER experienced a download problem with Linux Mint. From what I have seen, elementary OS Linux is a scam, much like those Windo= ws come ons that claim that they can fix your computer problems merely by m= ucking with the Windows Registry. The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam that i= t is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where are the Linu= x police? On 7/8/2015 8:22 AM, John Gohde wrote: > No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size > being too small on my 19 inch monitor. I blame it on your small cerebrum. > The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam > that it is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where > are the Linux police? The Linux police are outside your door right now. I'm not kidding. Look out...

where shall i place a file like libeftapi.so.1.1.8 on LINUX OS?
I have here a file , i think a library to be used by a java demo program of a supplier providing serial interface api that will run on Linux. e.g. libeftapi.so.1.1.3 . Where shall I place this on Linux system??? what subdirectory? Or shall i place it in my JDK1.4\lib director(ies)? i have tried copying this file to different subdirectories in linux and in jdk/*/* .. but still arrive at the same RUN-TIME error... like this java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no eftapijava in java.library.path at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1491) at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.ja...

[News] Nokia Releases New GNU/Linux Operating System (Maemo 5 1.2009.44.1), Adds Linux to Ovi

[News] Tips for Linux Advocacy (from Linux-hostile Site)

ROX Linux and ROX on OS X and arm linux
Hi I've just just done some searches on Google for ROX linux, and ROX on other platforms. I've not managed to find anything. Is ROX available for OS X? Is ROX available for Acorn\Iyonix Arm linux? Did ROX Linux ever come to anything? I was a member of the mailing list a while ago, it started off interesting and then seemed to go off on a tangent then it all went quiet. It seemed like an excellent idea, a linux distro structured like RISC OS. It would have been an ideal compliment to a RISC OS system, same UI but different set of applications (probably not quite so consistent as we are used to though). It could also have been a life boat if RISC OS were ever to grind to a halt. Presumably some sorts of common apps (python perhaps) would have been possible and if RISCOSE or similar were to be developed too, the possibilities would be even greater. Do others consider it would have been desirable? -- Jess Iyonix contact http://jess.itworkshop-nexus.net Hotmail is my spam trap - don't email valid - mailto:nospam@jess.itworkshop-nexus.net In message <729a59544e.jess@itworkshop.invalid> Jess <phantasm_39@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hi > > I've just just done some searches on Google for ROX linux, and ROX on > other platforms. > These starting points might help. http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&q=ROX filer desktop http://rox.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/ http://rox.sourceforg...

[News] [Linux] Motorola Brings Linux Phones to America
Motorola finally launches U.S. Linux phone ,----[ Quote ] | Linux/Java has topped CEO Ed Zander's list of things to look for | from Motorola as it attempts a financial turnaround. At a New | York press conference this morning, Zander introduced Linux-based" | Rokr" and "Razr2" models, along with new top-level executives. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8879219087.html That ought to do some damage to Symbian. Windows mobile is almost nowhere to be seen with just about 4% market share. This is one of Microsoft's divisions, which I suspect is losing $billio...

[News] [Linux] Red Hat Brings Linux to Singapore
Donorweb Draws On Red Hat to Promote Blood Donation and Retain Blood Donors in Singapore ,----[ Quote ] | The content management system and more than 90 percent of the | online applications on Donorweb are developed using open source | software by a team of volunteers. The system and applications are | hosted on two Red Hat Enterprise Linux servers located across | Singapore and the US. S.P.T. Krishnan, a Red Hat Certified Engineer | (RHCE), leads the voluntary team of developers and content editors | and oversees the design of Donorweb's user interfaces and system | architecture. `---...

Web resources about - bring it on says Micros~1 to Linux - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ah ain't long for this whorl - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I played with a fingerprint scanner that has been floating around the office. In the MICROS~1 world, they're black boxes that one can authenticate ...

Long filename - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Long filenames ( LFN ), are Microsoft 's way of implementing filenames longer than the 8.3 filename , or short-filename, naming scheme used in ...

Index - fat32-lib - The starting page for the fat32-lib wiki. - A Java library for manipulating FAT ...
This library allows to manipulate FAT file systems using the Java programming language. Because of it's age and simplicity, FAT can be called ...

Microsoft One-liner Digest [rec.humor.funny]
Since folks seem inclined to rag on Microsoft, I compiled a quick digest. These are jokes which are funny, but which didn't really warrant posting ...

Tilde Definition
A tilde (pronounced TILL-duh) is a short, curvy horizontal line character that is located on the upper left on most keyboards, usually on the ...

Ah ain't long for this whorl
I played with a fingerprint scanner that has been floating around the office. In the MICROS~1 world, they're black boxes that one can authenticate ...

8.3 filename - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(also called a short filename or SFN ) is a filename convention used by old versions of DOS , versions of Microsoft Windows prior to Windows ...