f



Canonical bribes reporter with free Linux netbook - But he still won't use Linux

<quote>
Next, Canonical approaches Rory with an offer to try out Ubuntu 9.10 and 
send him a Dell Inspiron Mini loaded with Karmic Koala. Rory likes the 
faster startup of the Ubuntu box he received. But that seems to be the only 
thing he liked.

So would I actively seek to install Ubuntu or any other Linux variant on a 
machine I already owned?
To be frank, no, because it would not make my computing life any simpler 
and more pleasurable than it is now.

</quote>

http://techie-buzz.com/ubuntu/bbc-breakfast-talk-ubuntu-9-1-karmic-koala.html


0
zeke437 (836)
11/1/2009 10:08:18 PM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 124139 articles. 3 followers. Post Follow

22 Replies
902 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 48

On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 17:08:18 -0500, Ezekiel wrote:

> <quote>
> Next, Canonical approaches Rory with an offer to try out Ubuntu 9.10 and
> send him a Dell Inspiron Mini loaded with Karmic Koala. Rory likes the
> faster startup of the Ubuntu box he received. But that seems to be the
> only thing he liked.
> 
> So would I actively seek to install Ubuntu or any other Linux variant on
> a machine I already owned?
> To be frank, no, because it would not make my computing life any simpler
> and more pleasurable than it is now.
> 
> </quote>
> 
> http://techie-buzz.com/ubuntu/bbc-breakfast-talk-ubuntu-9-1-karmic-
koala.html

Wow... you are really desperate...



-- 
Rick
0
none5467 (1279)
11/1/2009 11:09:26 PM
On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 17:08:18 -0500, Ezekiel <zeke@nosuchdomain.com> wrote:
><quote>
>Next, Canonical approaches Rory with an offer to try out Ubuntu 9.10 and 
>send him a Dell Inspiron Mini loaded with Karmic Koala. Rory likes the 
>faster startup of the Ubuntu box he received. But that seems to be the only 
>thing he liked.

>So would I actively seek to install Ubuntu or any other Linux variant on a 
>machine I already owned?
>To be frank, no, because it would not make my computing life any simpler 
>and more pleasurable than it is now.

></quote>

http://digg.com/hardware/Microsoft_bribing_bloggers_with_free_high_spec_laptops


0
aznomad.3 (962)
11/1/2009 11:22:54 PM
Rick stated in post toqdnfXmO5W7iHPXnZ2dnUVZ_uGdnZ2d@supernews.com on
11/1/09 4:09 PM:

> On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 17:08:18 -0500, Ezekiel wrote:
> 
>> <quote>
>> Next, Canonical approaches Rory with an offer to try out Ubuntu 9.10 and
>> send him a Dell Inspiron Mini loaded with Karmic Koala. Rory likes the
>> faster startup of the Ubuntu box he received. But that seems to be the
>> only thing he liked.
>> 
>> So would I actively seek to install Ubuntu or any other Linux variant on
>> a machine I already owned?
>> To be frank, no, because it would not make my computing life any simpler
>> and more pleasurable than it is now.
>> 
>> </quote>
>> 
>> http://techie-buzz.com/ubuntu/bbc-breakfast-talk-ubuntu-9-1-karmic-
> koala.html
> 
> Wow... you are really desperate...
> 
> 
The question is a reasonable one: there are user benefits to OS X and user
benefits to Windows... what user benefits are there to Ubuntu?  In the past
some have been listed; like OS X it does not have a malware problem,
software installation... um... what else?


-- 
[INSERT .SIG HERE]


0
usenet2 (47889)
11/1/2009 11:28:30 PM
AZ Nomad wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 17:08:18 -0500, Ezekiel <zeke@nosuchdomain.com> wrote:
>><quote>
>>Next, Canonical approaches Rory with an offer to try out Ubuntu 9.10 and
>>send him a Dell Inspiron Mini loaded with Karmic Koala. Rory likes the
>>faster startup of the Ubuntu box he received. But that seems to be the
>>only thing he liked.
> 
>>So would I actively seek to install Ubuntu or any other Linux variant on a
>>machine I already owned?
>>To be frank, no, because it would not make my computing life any simpler
>>and more pleasurable than it is now.
> 
>></quote>
> 
> 
http://digg.com/hardware/Microsoft_bribing_bloggers_with_free_high_spec_laptops

Righteous !!
At least Microsoft gives away decent hardware.
Works great too !


0
11/1/2009 11:35:27 PM
On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 16:28:30 -0700, Snit wrote:

> Rick stated in post toqdnfXmO5W7iHPXnZ2dnUVZ_uGdnZ2d@supernews.com on
> 11/1/09 4:09 PM:
> 
>> On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 17:08:18 -0500, Ezekiel wrote:
>> 
>>> <quote>
>>> Next, Canonical approaches Rory with an offer to try out Ubuntu 9.10
>>> and send him a Dell Inspiron Mini loaded with Karmic Koala. Rory likes
>>> the faster startup of the Ubuntu box he received. But that seems to be
>>> the only thing he liked.
>>> 
>>> So would I actively seek to install Ubuntu or any other Linux variant
>>> on a machine I already owned?
>>> To be frank, no, because it would not make my computing life any
>>> simpler and more pleasurable than it is now.
>>> 
>>> </quote>
>>> 
>>> http://techie-buzz.com/ubuntu/bbc-breakfast-talk-ubuntu-9-1-karmic-
>> koala.html
>> 
>> Wow... you are really desperate...
>> 
>> 
> The question is a reasonable one: there are user benefits to OS X (snip)

Don't care . No use going on.

You sure are begging for my attention a lot this afternoon.

-- 
Rick
0
none5467 (1279)
11/1/2009 11:51:29 PM
"AZ Nomad" <aznomad.3@PremoveOBthisOX.COM> wrote in message 
news:slrnhes62e.5tn.aznomad.3@ip70-176-155-130.ph.ph.cox.net...
> On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 17:08:18 -0500, Ezekiel <zeke@nosuchdomain.com> wrote:
>><quote>
>>Next, Canonical approaches Rory with an offer to try out Ubuntu 9.10 and
>>send him a Dell Inspiron Mini loaded with Karmic Koala. Rory likes the
>>faster startup of the Ubuntu box he received. But that seems to be the 
>>only
>>thing he liked.
>
>>So would I actively seek to install Ubuntu or any other Linux variant on 
>>a
>>machine I already owned?
>>To be frank, no, because it would not make my computing life any simpler
>>and more pleasurable than it is now.
>
>></quote>
>

I agree that it's shameless how Linux tries to bribe reporters with free 
computers. But even with the bribes, the reporters want nothing to do with 
Linux.





0
zeke437 (836)
11/1/2009 11:57:57 PM
On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 18:57:57 -0500, Ezekiel wrote:

> "AZ Nomad" <aznomad.3@PremoveOBthisOX.COM> wrote in message
> news:slrnhes62e.5tn.aznomad.3@ip70-176-155-130.ph.ph.cox.net...
>> On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 17:08:18 -0500, Ezekiel <zeke@nosuchdomain.com>
>> wrote:
>>><quote>
>>>Next, Canonical approaches Rory with an offer to try out Ubuntu 9.10
>>>and send him a Dell Inspiron Mini loaded with Karmic Koala. Rory likes
>>>the faster startup of the Ubuntu box he received. But that seems to be
>>>the only
>>>thing he liked.
>>
>>>So would I actively seek to install Ubuntu or any other Linux variant
>>>on a
>>>machine I already owned?
>>>To be frank, no, because it would not make my computing life any
>>>simpler and more pleasurable than it is now.
>>
>>></quote>
>>
>>
> I agree that it's shameless how Linux tries to bribe reporters with free
> computers. But even with the bribes, the reporters want nothing to do
> with Linux.

.... so it's OK for Microsoft to bribe reporters with free computers?

BTW, I don't remember reading in your article that the computer the 
reporter was using was a gift. Did I miss that?



-- 
Rick
0
none5467 (1279)
11/1/2009 11:58:08 PM
"Rick" <none@mail.invalid> wrote in message 
news:3POdnfl6wucNvXPXnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@supernews.com...
> On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 18:57:57 -0500, Ezekiel wrote:
>
>> "AZ Nomad" <aznomad.3@PremoveOBthisOX.COM> wrote in message
>> news:slrnhes62e.5tn.aznomad.3@ip70-176-155-130.ph.ph.cox.net...
>>> On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 17:08:18 -0500, Ezekiel <zeke@nosuchdomain.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>><quote>
>>>>Next, Canonical approaches Rory with an offer to try out Ubuntu 9.10
>>>>and send him a Dell Inspiron Mini loaded with Karmic Koala. Rory likes
>>>>the faster startup of the Ubuntu box he received. But that seems to be
>>>>the only
>>>>thing he liked.
>>>
>>>>So would I actively seek to install Ubuntu or any other Linux variant
>>>>on a
>>>>machine I already owned?
>>>>To be frank, no, because it would not make my computing life any
>>>>simpler and more pleasurable than it is now.
>>>
>>>></quote>
>>>
>>>
>> I agree that it's shameless how Linux tries to bribe reporters with free
>> computers. But even with the bribes, the reporters want nothing to do
>> with Linux.
>

> BTW, I don't remember reading in your article that the computer the
> reporter was using was a gift. Did I miss that?

As usual, you did miss it. Ask your big sister to help you read the 
article.



0
zeke437 (836)
11/2/2009 12:04:37 AM
On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 18:57:57 -0500, Ezekiel <zeke@nosuchdomain.com> wrote:

>"AZ Nomad" <aznomad.3@PremoveOBthisOX.COM> wrote in message 
>news:slrnhes62e.5tn.aznomad.3@ip70-176-155-130.ph.ph.cox.net...
>> On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 17:08:18 -0500, Ezekiel <zeke@nosuchdomain.com> wrote:
>>><quote>
>>>Next, Canonical approaches Rory with an offer to try out Ubuntu 9.10 and
>>>send him a Dell Inspiron Mini loaded with Karmic Koala. Rory likes the
>>>faster startup of the Ubuntu box he received. But that seems to be the 
>>>only
>>>thing he liked.
>>
>>>So would I actively seek to install Ubuntu or any other Linux variant on 
>>>a
>>>machine I already owned?
>>>To be frank, no, because it would not make my computing life any simpler
>>>and more pleasurable than it is now.
>>
>>></quote>
>>

>I agree that it's shameless how Linux tries to bribe reporters with free 
>computers. But even with the bribes, the reporters want nothing to do with 
>Linux.

What is sad is that you can't tell the difference between a $350 netbook
and a $2300 high end laptop. 





0
aznomad.3 (962)
11/2/2009 12:07:59 AM
Rick stated in post toqdnfDmO5WcgnPXnZ2dnUVZ_uGdnZ2d@supernews.com on
11/1/09 4:51 PM:

> On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 16:28:30 -0700, Snit wrote:
> 
>> Rick stated in post toqdnfXmO5W7iHPXnZ2dnUVZ_uGdnZ2d@supernews.com on
>> 11/1/09 4:09 PM:
>> 
>>> On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 17:08:18 -0500, Ezekiel wrote:
>>> 
>>>> <quote>
>>>> Next, Canonical approaches Rory with an offer to try out Ubuntu 9.10
>>>> and send him a Dell Inspiron Mini loaded with Karmic Koala. Rory likes
>>>> the faster startup of the Ubuntu box he received. But that seems to be
>>>> the only thing he liked.
>>>> 
>>>> So would I actively seek to install Ubuntu or any other Linux variant
>>>> on a machine I already owned?
>>>> To be frank, no, because it would not make my computing life any
>>>> simpler and more pleasurable than it is now.
>>>> 
>>>> </quote>
>>>> 
>>>> http://techie-buzz.com/ubuntu/bbc-breakfast-talk-ubuntu-9-1-karmic-
>>> koala.html
>>> 
>>> Wow... you are really desperate...
>>> 
>>> 
>> The question is a reasonable one: there are user benefits to OS X (snip)
> 
> Don't care . No use going on.

Why do you share the fact you are running?  Just not responding would be a
better way to deal with your fear.

-- 
[INSERT .SIG HERE]


0
usenet2 (47889)
11/2/2009 12:10:45 AM
On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 19:04:37 -0500, Ezekiel wrote:

> "Rick" <none@mail.invalid> wrote in message
> news:3POdnfl6wucNvXPXnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@supernews.com...
>> On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 18:57:57 -0500, Ezekiel wrote:
>>
>>> "AZ Nomad" <aznomad.3@PremoveOBthisOX.COM> wrote in message
>>> news:slrnhes62e.5tn.aznomad.3@ip70-176-155-130.ph.ph.cox.net...
>>>> On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 17:08:18 -0500, Ezekiel <zeke@nosuchdomain.com>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>><quote>
>>>>>Next, Canonical approaches Rory with an offer to try out Ubuntu 9.10
>>>>>and send him a Dell Inspiron Mini loaded with Karmic Koala. Rory
>>>>>likes the faster startup of the Ubuntu box he received. But that
>>>>>seems to be the only
>>>>>thing he liked.
>>>>
>>>>>So would I actively seek to install Ubuntu or any other Linux variant
>>>>>on a
>>>>>machine I already owned?
>>>>>To be frank, no, because it would not make my computing life any
>>>>>simpler and more pleasurable than it is now.
>>>>
>>>>></quote>
>>>>
>>>>
>>> I agree that it's shameless how Linux tries to bribe reporters with
>>> free computers. But even with the bribes, the reporters want nothing
>>> to do with Linux.
>>
>>
>> BTW, I don't remember reading in your article that the computer the
>> reporter was using was a gift. Did I miss that?
> 
> As usual, you did miss it. Ask your big sister to help you read the
> article.

OK... so I missed it. Now, why is it OK for Microsoft to bribe reporters?



-- 
Rick
0
none5467 (1279)
11/2/2009 12:22:48 AM
On 2009-11-01, the following emerged from the brain of Snit:
> Rick stated in post toqdnfXmO5W7iHPXnZ2dnUVZ_uGdnZ2d@supernews.com on
> 11/1/09 4:09 PM:
>
>> On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 17:08:18 -0500, Ezekiel wrote:
>> 
>>> <quote>
>>> Next, Canonical approaches Rory with an offer to try out Ubuntu 9.10 and
>>> send him a Dell Inspiron Mini loaded with Karmic Koala. Rory likes the
>>> faster startup of the Ubuntu box he received. But that seems to be the
>>> only thing he liked.
>>> 
>>> So would I actively seek to install Ubuntu or any other Linux variant on
>>> a machine I already owned?
>>> To be frank, no, because it would not make my computing life any simpler
>>> and more pleasurable than it is now.
>>> 
>>> </quote>
>>> 
>>> http://techie-buzz.com/ubuntu/bbc-breakfast-talk-ubuntu-9-1-karmic-
>> koala.html
>> 
>> Wow... you are really desperate...
>> 
> The question is a reasonable one: there are user benefits to OS X and user
> benefits to Windows... what user benefits are there to Ubuntu?  In the past
> some have been listed; like OS X it does not have a malware problem,
> software installation... um... what else?

Deployment without having to worry about licensing (see my Postfix
thread).
Runs on more hardware than any other OS (Debian runs on 10 different
architectures currently).
Scalability (it can be literally anything).
Cost (it's gratis in most cases).
Configurability (on the same machine I user a poweruser set-up with
awesome, while my wife and kids use the easy to handle point-and-click
environment of Gnome).

These are the first that spring to mind.

-- 
Big book, big bore.
		-- Callimachus
0
11/2/2009 12:54:23 AM
TomB stated in post 20091102014055.765@usenet.drumscum.be on 11/1/09 5:54
PM:

>> The question is a reasonable one: there are user benefits to OS X and user
>> benefits to Windows... what user benefits are there to Ubuntu?  In the past
>> some have been listed; like OS X it does not have a malware problem,
>> software installation... um... what else?
> 
> Deployment without having to worry about licensing (see my Postfix
> thread).
> Runs on more hardware than any other OS (Debian runs on 10 different
> architectures currently).
> Scalability (it can be literally anything).
> Cost (it's gratis in most cases).
> Configurability (on the same machine I user a poweruser set-up with
> awesome, while my wife and kids use the easy to handle point-and-click
> environment of Gnome).
> 
> These are the first that spring to mind.

Licensing and cost issues are no doubt there... but I was thinking in terms
of end users.  Still, for business deployments that is a *huge* issue, so
well worth mentioning.    Running on more hardware and stability are not
that big of a deal *for a desktop comparison*.  The assumption of any such
comparison is you have hardware to run the OSs.  If you have the hardware
though and are trying to decide what OS to put on it, then clearly this is
something to consider.

Configurability is a benefit... if you can show specific examples.  I have
pointed out areas where it lacks configurability, such as changing system
wide dialogs or system wide menu hot keys (OS X makes both fairly easy...
some of it even out of the box).

-- 
[INSERT .SIG HERE]


0
usenet2 (47889)
11/2/2009 1:08:53 AM
TomB wrote:

> Runs on more hardware than any other OS (Debian runs on 10 different
> architectures currently).

That's the claim.  I'd love to see proof of it.



0
nospam11 (18349)
11/2/2009 1:31:33 AM
On 2009-11-02, the following emerged from the brain of DFS:
> TomB wrote:
>
>> Runs on more hardware than any other OS (Debian runs on 10 different
>> architectures currently).
>
> That's the claim.  I'd love to see proof of it.

http://www.debian.org/ports/

-- 
Your society will be sought by people of taste and refinement.
0
11/2/2009 1:37:50 AM
AZ Nomad wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 18:57:57 -0500, Ezekiel <zeke@nosuchdomain.com> wrote:
> 
>>"AZ Nomad" <aznomad.3@PremoveOBthisOX.COM> wrote in message
>>news:slrnhes62e.5tn.aznomad.3@ip70-176-155-130.ph.ph.cox.net...
>>> On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 17:08:18 -0500, Ezekiel <zeke@nosuchdomain.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>><quote>
>>>>Next, Canonical approaches Rory with an offer to try out Ubuntu 9.10 and
>>>>send him a Dell Inspiron Mini loaded with Karmic Koala. Rory likes the
>>>>faster startup of the Ubuntu box he received. But that seems to be the
>>>>only
>>>>thing he liked.
>>>
>>>>So would I actively seek to install Ubuntu or any other Linux variant on
>>>>a
>>>>machine I already owned?
>>>>To be frank, no, because it would not make my computing life any simpler
>>>>and more pleasurable than it is now.
>>>
>>>></quote>
>>>
> 
>>I agree that it's shameless how Linux tries to bribe reporters with free
>>computers. But even with the bribes, the reporters want nothing to do with
>>Linux.
> 
> What is sad is that you can't tell the difference between a $350 netbook
> and a $2300 high end laptop.

Maybe if Canonical wasn't so cheap the guy would have taken the computer.
Typical of Linux, go cheap and lose every time.

0
11/2/2009 1:55:56 AM
TomB pulled this Usenet boner:

> On 2009-11-02, the following emerged from the brain of DFS:
>> TomB wrote:
>>
>>> Runs on more hardware than any other OS (Debian runs on 10 different
>>> architectures currently).
>>
>> That's the claim.  I'd love to see proof of it.
>
> http://www.debian.org/ports/

It's always a laffer when a Windows guy issues that challenge.

Even though, thanks in part to a lawsuit with DEC, Microsoft had to port it
to the Alpha, and also had it running for awhile on a handful of other
chips.

-- 
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.
		-- Wm. Shakespeare, "Henry VI", Part IV
0
ahlstromc1 (7605)
11/2/2009 2:01:00 AM
TomB wrote:
> On 2009-11-02, the following emerged from the brain of DFS:
>> TomB wrote:
>>
>>> Runs on more hardware than any other OS (Debian runs on 10 different
>>> architectures currently).
>>
>> That's the claim.  I'd love to see proof of it.
>
> http://www.debian.org/ports/


Debian claiming it means absolutely nothing.

Canonical claims Ubuntu is "perfect for laptops, desktops and servers", yet 
we see daily evidence of the Ubuntu fiasco on PC/x86.  And that's a platform 
for which there are probably 10000x the dedicated resources and people.



0
nospam11 (18349)
11/2/2009 4:21:54 AM
DFS stated in post hclmn5$ef9$1@aioe.org on 11/1/09 9:21 PM:

> TomB wrote:
>> On 2009-11-02, the following emerged from the brain of DFS:
>>> TomB wrote:
>>> 
>>>> Runs on more hardware than any other OS (Debian runs on 10 different
>>>> architectures currently).
>>> 
>>> That's the claim.  I'd love to see proof of it.
>> 
>> http://www.debian.org/ports/
> 
> 
> Debian claiming it means absolutely nothing.
> 
> Canonical claims Ubuntu is "perfect for laptops, desktops and servers", yet
> we see daily evidence of the Ubuntu fiasco on PC/x86.  And that's a platform
> for which there are probably 10000x the dedicated resources and people.
> 
> 
> 
Rick did say that marketing for desktop Linux distros should not be trusted.


-- 
[INSERT .SIG HERE]


0
usenet2 (47889)
11/2/2009 4:36:55 AM
On 2009-11-02, the following emerged from the brain of DFS:
> TomB wrote:
>> On 2009-11-02, the following emerged from the brain of DFS:
>>> TomB wrote:
>>>
>>>> Runs on more hardware than any other OS (Debian runs on 10 different
>>>> architectures currently).
>>>
>>> That's the claim.  I'd love to see proof of it.
>>
>> http://www.debian.org/ports/
>
> Debian claiming it means absolutely nothing.

Fine. Then don't believe it.

-- 
He hath eaten me out of house and home.
		-- William Shakespeare, "Henry IV"
0
11/2/2009 9:00:17 AM
On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 09:00:17 +0000, TomB wrote:

> On 2009-11-02, the following emerged from the brain of DFS:
>> TomB wrote:
>>> On 2009-11-02, the following emerged from the brain of DFS:
>>>> TomB wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Runs on more hardware than any other OS (Debian runs on 10 different
>>>>> architectures currently).
>>>>
>>>> That's the claim.  I'd love to see proof of it.
>>>
>>> http://www.debian.org/ports/
>>
>> Debian claiming it means absolutely nothing.
> 
> Fine. Then don't believe it.

How can you win with such a brilliant debate tactic? "Prove the sun rises 
in the East -- you can say it, but I want proof!"

-- 
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"
0
ronb02noSPAM (7426)
11/2/2009 9:03:47 AM
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> TomB pulled this Usenet boner:
> 
>> On 2009-11-02, the following emerged from the brain of DFS:
>>> TomB wrote:
>>>
>>>> Runs on more hardware than any other OS (Debian runs on 10 different
>>>> architectures currently).
>>>
>>> That's the claim.  I'd love to see proof of it.
>>
>> http://www.debian.org/ports/
> 
> It's always a laffer when a Windows guy issues that challenge.
> 
> Even though, thanks in part to a lawsuit with DEC, Microsoft had to port
> it to the Alpha, and also had it running for awhile on a handful of
> other chips.
> 

And there are still wintrolls around who claim that windows on Alpha was 
64bits because that processor was a 64bit one
Which naturally is as wrong as all the other bullshit from that ilk
-- 
It's not about, 'Where do you want to go today?' It's more like,
'Where am I allowed to go today?'

0
11/2/2009 9:38:02 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Linux Torvalds
http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB119256930870361011-h5YkJct6Cb8FirXZIXTXlC0RBvg_20071116.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top How Far Behind Is Linux? October 17, 2007; Page B1 If some of Linus Torvalds's own family members back in Finland don't use Linux, what hope is there for the rest of us? On Oct 19, 1:53 pm, Sinister Midget <sinister.mid...@yahoo.com> wrote: > http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB119256930870361011-h5YkJct6Cb8... > > How Far Behind Is Linux? > October 17, 2007; Page B1 > > If some of Linus Torvalds's own family members back in Finl...

[News] Linux is Linux is Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1 Reimagining The Desktop ,----[ Quote ] | KDE 4.1 goes a long way to solving that dilemma. `---- http://www.northdavisroad.net/2008/08/reimagining-the-desktop/ Linux should remain Linux ,----[ Quote ] | I disagree that Linux should concentrate on running native Windows apps. This | is exactly the opposite of what the community should be doing. If you notice | more and more companies are working to make Linux their base rather than | Windows. This frees them of paying tax to MS and stops MS from beating their | products with tighter Windows...

My Linux is not your Linux
To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy! So many people demonstrate in this newsgroup that they know only a Linux of Hatred and Greed, of paranoia, and of a selfish sense of entitlement. They seem always to be behaving like monkeys in reaction to human dissenters, throwing feces at one another and beating their chests pretending to know something. My Linux is not that Linux. My Linux is the Linux of Love, of sharing, friendship, community. It is a uniquely human Linux and not one for monkeys. When I speak with fellow Linux users in real life (i.e. not in the monkeyhouse of COLA) they remind me of myself: practical, freedom-loving, anti-corporate. Here in COLA however they remind me of monkeys or spoiled brats or worse, corporate sysadmins. My Linux is not your Linux. It is the human Linux that acknowledges that Linux involves human work to create, that although it is free you are not entitled to it, that although it is created in large part by volunteers, they deserve to be paid for their gifts with at least gratitude. And that monkeys and self-entitled brats and sysadmins never thank anyone. yarmfelder@yahoo.com writes: > To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy! You crossposted to gnu.misc.discuss. > My Linux is not your Linux. It is the human Linux > that acknowledges that Linux involves human work > to create, that although it is free you are not > entitled to it, that although it is created in large part > by volunteers, they deserve to be pa...

I have Linux! I have Linux!
Ok, after two days of trying to get Windos 1900 installed and working , I sat down an hour ago and installed Linux. In an hour. Smirk. Ok, I will be honest. I did have some problems, but I believe they were of my own ignorance. 0) I started with trying to install Suse. However, I couldn't get it to install. Why? Because I didn't read the menu. There is a startup menu and the first entry is boot to harddisk. I thought that was the thing to do so I did it about 4 times. Then I gave up. However, I went back to it and subsequently realized that I should have chosen the 2nd men...

If Linux Weren't Free, Would Freetards PAY for Linux?
Answer = NO. They would pirate it. idiot wrote: >If Linux Weren't Free, Would Freetards PAY for Linux? > If it wasn't "Free" (GPL), no one would bother with it. As it **is** GPL, is **has** to be free. Anything that is GPL, you can fork or even redistribute gratis, so your point is moot, WinTrolling idiot. On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 16:53:09 -0800 (PST), JeffM wrote: > idiot wrote: >>If Linux Weren't Free, Would Freetards PAY for Linux? >> > If it wasn't "Free" (GPL), no one would bother with it. You're not one of the brighter freetards in COLA are you JeffM? See the word PAY, in capitals? Duhh..... The implication, and it's not subtle, is monetary not "freedom"....Free in cost. Get it? Of course you do. In fact this thread tossed you so far off kilter you had to attempt to recover by changing the subject. I took the liberty of fixing that for you, JeffM. So how's the coupon trading going these days? Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! JeffM wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties: > idiot wrote: >>If Linux Weren't Free, Would Freetards PAY for Linux? >> > If it wasn't "Free" (GPL), no one would bother with it. > As it **is** GPL, is **has** to be free. > > Anything that is GPL, you can fork or even redistribute gratis, > so your point is moot, WinTrolling idiot. They want to make it a matter of money, just like Gates and Ballmer did. -- You&...

Why linux is linux
We don't destroy, we create. We don't imitate, we build. We are not a network, we are a personal OS. -- http://www.texeme.com Hi John, Attempting to Speak for Linux, You wrote: << We don't destroy, we create. We don't imitate, we build. We are not a network, we are a personal OS. >> Linux is more like this: << Like everything else, we consume and are consumed. We exchange ideas with everyone, to the point where it's almost impossible to track. We are artisans, not mass producers. >> Jeff Relf wrote: > Linux is mo...

[News] [Linux] Dell's Linux Won't Emulate Windows, Might Go Beyond the US in Future
Ubuntu Founder: No Emulation Software for Dell Systems ,----[ Quote ] | "While Linux is an alternative to Windows, it is not cheap Windows. Linux | has its own strengths, and users should want it because of those | strengths and not because it's a cheap copy of Windows," he said. `---- http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2125848,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616 Dell explains Linux delays ,----[ Quote ] | "We are adjusting the roadmap for the rest of the world, but this has | just not been announced yet," Greffier added. `---- http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000...

Why the Linux Desktop Just Won't Work! and why Linux depresses me.
Why having Linux on the desktop of Aunt Tille is a myth. I've had a few trials running over last year, set up at family members. New computer? Let's install Morphix on them (I had used both Gnome and Light installs) and see how far you get. The users weren't very technical, on the contrary even. I regularly went around to their places, updated their boxes and sometimes switched applications (Mozilla for Firebird/Firefox for example). They all gave it their best shot, however at the end they prefered to have Windows back. I didn't drag them into this, and they gave Debian a f...

Does IRS hate Linux? (Can't use forms in acroread in Linux)
(Note running Mepis 3.3, Firefox 1.0.1, Acroread 5.0.10 http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1120a.pdf Maybe its just my system, but when I go to the above official IRS PDF form for corporate taxes (1120), the form opens but I get errors saying it requires 5.1 or later than 5.0.5 of Acrobat. There is no 5.1 version for Linux but there is 5.0.10. I can fill it in but can ONLY print it a page at a time (fortunately its only 2 pages!). What's up with that? (But at least it prints!) I cannot save it with changes, because the IRS says... For users of Adobe Reader: beginning October 25, 2004 ...

PS3: doesn't come with Linux, doesn't even run Linux by default
What other cola claims have been dashed by reality? In fact, you can install on the PS3 any OS that's been designed for it. I don't expect MS to port Vista, but you never know... http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/faq.html Q. What types of "Other OSs" can be installed? A. You can install any system software that is designed to run on PLAYSTATION�3. Unfortunately we cannot provide you with specific information about what types of "Other OSs" are available because "Other OS" and the boot loader programs are produced and distributed by third-par...

Ubuntu linux
Ubuntu linux - "No wonder people don't use Linux" http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=415093 Upgraded now not working correctly. - No wonder people don't use Linux. Anyway I upgraded using the official method, all updates then update manager update distribution. Problems & Bugs 1. Initial boot no window title bars, I have had to enable desktop effects to get them back. 2. Enabling desktop effects box not accessable, cannot get focus, once they are enabled. 3. Desktop effects don't actually work, just gets me the window title bars back 4. The gnome/ubuntu star...

[News] [Linux] Another Company Chooses Linux; Oracle's 'Linux Family' Extends Too
Columbitech Taps SUSE Linux Enterprise From Novell to Help Retailers Reach PCI Compliance and Safeguard Customer Data ,----[ Quote ] | This offering will give retailers PCI compliance by securing all | wireless devices and providing secure wireless access to the | back-end systems. `---- http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070605005558&newsLang=en Momentum continues for Oracle ,----[ Quote ] | Oracle recently announced that momentum continues to build | around the Oracle Unbreakable Linux Support Program (which includes | supp...

Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware
Linux has viruses and malware. See below. Now please spin the facts and tell me why this is not so, Linux cultists. RL http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews/single-product-reviews ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 Business Edition for Linux Desktop May 2011 Review (english) The growing availability of user-friendly Linux operating systems for desktop and laptop PCs, with business support packages available, means that anti-malware solutions for Linux are becoming more important. Security software for Linux is needed not only to protect the computer itself, but also to prevent malicious code aimed at other systems, such as Windows, being passed through the system. To counter such threats, ESET have released ESET NOD32 Antivirus Business Edition for Linux Desktop. For our review, we installed the 32-bit Business Edition, version 4.0.66.0, on 32-bit Ubuntu Desktop Edition version 10.04. ESET also make a Home Edition of the program, and both Home and Business versions come in 32 and 64-bit versions. RayLopez99 <raylopez88@gmail.com> writes: > Linux has viruses and malware. See below. > > Now please spin the facts and tell me why this is not so, Linux > cultists. > > RL > > http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews/single-product-reviews > > ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 Business Edition for Linux Desktop May 2011 > Review (english) > > The growing availability of user-friendly Linux > operating systems for deskto...

The Problem Isn't Linux, It's The Linux Community...
As a desktop system, Linux is decent. I don't feel it's a polished nor are the applications and hardware support as good *overall* as Windows or OSX, but for many people, Linux is a great value and certainly a decent system. So why am I not posting as a Linux advocate? The short answer is that I don't wish to be associated with the slime that passes for Linux advocates these days. Spend 30 minutes in COLA and you will see what I mean. When was the last time you saw a Linux advocate acknowledge that something other than Linux is superior at some task? Almost never happens. That's because these people are in fact a loosely organized, yet very rabid cult of sorts. They are wired to defend the mother ship, Linux, and will not buck the herd. Yet we have the so called "wintrolls" acknowledging, and in some cases, purchasing Linux based products. Android for one. Linux as a server system for another. Linux in embedded devices as another one. Linux in super computers and clusters is another good use for Linux. So how come the so called "Wintrolls" are able to acknowledge Linux's advantages in certain areas but the Linux community will NEVER ADMIT that Linux isn't a good choice in certain areas, like the desktop. Which brings me to another trait of the Linux "advocate" and that is LIEing for LIEnux. This is where the Linux advocate will simply make up stories about Linux just "working" that are clearly and easily pr...

[News] Microsoft's Linux 'Sellouts' Lose to Truly Free GNU/Linux
The World Series of Linux: Round 1 ,----[ Quote ] | But, clearly, Ubuntu shined. It has earned the right to play in the | championship round of The World Series of Linux. The next round will | determine its opponent, as the RPM Round pits SLED 10, Fedora 7 and PCLinuxOS | to compete to pick the best out of those distributions. `---- http://www.crn.com/software/204802194 Guess who lost here? Xandros and Linspire. Here is OpenSUSE losing: First Kubuntu Impressions ,----[ Quote ] | Well, seems like Kubuntu is the clear winner for professional users and also | for enthusiasts. For begi...

'Linux is perfect' and 'Linux is perfect for' idiocy
Straight up 'Linux is perfect' idiocy: ========================================================================= "Linux is perfect." Posted by: unknown at March 26, 2005 03:57 PM http://www.goodexperience.com/tib/archives/2005/03/apple_mail_filt.html "Linux is perfect." http://www.deadtroll.com/index2.html?/video/ossuckscable.html~content "Linux is perfect: its open source nature and excellent shell make it the ultimate hobbyist's operating system." http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/top-50-best-linux-apps-2011-1014373 "Linux is perfect" comment by Mr.chippy http://blenderartists.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-218660.html?s=7ca405d1beb423b9015bd2ff62fb90bb "Linux is perfect" comment by jackblack http://blenderartists.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-218660.html?s=7ca405d1beb423b9015bd2ff62fb90bb "Linux is perfect!" http://abaldwin360.tumblr.com/post/23175853511/why-do-hipsters-use-macs-linux-is-so-much-less "Linux is perfect" ..sig of LSeraphim http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=97991.15 "Linux is perfect." Anonymous10/14/2010 03:06:00 PM http://www.techbroil.com/2010/10/linux-desktop-needs-to-bake-for-3-5.html "Linux is perfect" comment by albert http://web.archive.org/web/20080720151740/http://the-half-decent-pharmaceutical-chemistry-blog.chemblogs.org/archives/2008/01/02/all-is-quiet-on-new-y...

[News] [Linux] Intel Upset About 'Fat' Windows, Will Use Linux
Intel on $100 laptops, smartphones and the Ne ,----[ Quote ] | The chips Intel is designing are intended to run Windows XP, | though Chandrasekher said he is frustrated that Microsoft has not | yet delivered a small-scale version of the operating system. He | also said that many of these devices will run on Linux. `---- http://money.cnn.com/2007/05/11/technology/fastforward_inteltiny.fortune/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote Related: Intel to unveil Linux based UMPCs next week ,----[ Quote ] | With the success of the Pepper Pad and the Nokia N800, it certainly | appears that Intel is recogniz...

[News] Reasons to Use Linux, GNU/Linux Claims 'Victory' over iPod
Why do I use Linux ,----[ Quote ] | I get asked from time to time why do I use Linux. Of course, people use Linux | for many different reasons since people’s priorities vary so much. After | thinking about it a little, I would say these are my personal reason for | using Linux. | | 1.- The Open Source Trend. | | [...] | | 2.- Control. | | [...] | | 3.- I find Linux much more robust, secure, and enjoyable than Windows | | [...] | | 4.- Price. | | [...] | | 5.- Features. `---- http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/2007/12/03/why-do-i-use-linux/ Another case of Linux beating its ...

[News] [Linux] Piracy Still Used as Weapon Against Linux
Pirates crack vista ,----[ Quote ] | Pantheon has released cracks specifically for Acer, DELL, HP, | Lenovo that come along with the OEM product keys. `---- http://www.irintech.com/x1/blogarchive.php?id=1134 Nobody knows Linux ,----[ Quote ] | A Microsoft Vista DVD costs the equivalent of $3. You can get WindowsXP | for $1.50. OfficeXP, $1.15. Where? Computer Village. | | [...] | | A RedHat v10 six CD set costs anywhere from $5 to $7, depending | on your bargaining skills. I got my guy down to about $5.30, and | told him I'd be back to make the purchase. Either that, or maybe |...

The Linux Community Doesn't Lie about Linux
In spite of claims made by Sophos, and one of their shills in a YouTube video, which was linked to here by the trolls as "proof" that the Linux community lies to promote Linux, the Linux Community is honest and open about viruses and malware on Linux. Here's what the Linux Community really has to say on the subject: ------ http://www.linux.org/threads/malware-and-antivirus-systems-for-linux.4455/ "All computer systems can suffer from malware and viruses, including Linux. Thankfully, very few viruses exist for Linux, so users typically do not install antiv...

What Linux Is Missing. And What Doesn't Work. Linux Sux.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAeDa4fZyXw Nelson Lopez wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties: > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAeDa4fZyXw Plonked, unwatched, "Nelson". Haaaaaaa haaaaaaaa. -- Psychoanalysis?? I thought this was a nude rap session!!! In reply to Chris Ahlstrom who posted: > Nelson Lopez wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties: > >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAeDa4fZyXw > > Plonked, unwatched, "Nelson". Haaaaaaa haaaaaaaa. References: 94.75.214.90 Oh, the idiotic nymshifting LEASEWEB troll again. -- A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer. "Microsoft has vast resources, literally billions of dollars in cash, or liquid assets reserves. Microsoft is an incredibly successful empire built on the premise of market dominance with low-quality goods." -- Former White House adviser Richard A. Clarke -- William Poaster wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties: > In reply to Chris Ahlstrom who posted: > >> Nelson Lopez wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties: >> >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAeDa4fZyXw >> >> Plonked, unwatched, "Nelson". Haaaaaaa haaaaaaaa. > > References: 94.75.214.90 > > Oh, the idiotic nymshifting LEASEWEB troll again. And I thought Flounder and DFS were attention-beggars. -- The chicken that clucks the loudest is the one most likely to show up...

[News] Op/Ed: Microsoft Won't/Can't Assault Linux
The fair-weather "friends of Linux" ,----[ Quote ] | I just finished reading John Carroll's article Why Microsoft won't | assault Linux and while I agree with his conclusion, I don't agree | with his reasoning. John opens up suggesting that a "full legal | assault" on Linux would be self-defeating. I don't think so | but I do think that filing suit against RedHat would be an | unnecessary waste of Microsoft's time and money. | | I would like to dispense with his first point: Patents cut both | ways. While this is certainly true, John assumes that there are | powerful "friends of Linux" who would counter-sue Microsoft in a | heartbeat if Microsoft were to use it's patents against RedHat and | he reminds us that: Nobody has more patents than IBM. `---- http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=3924 ...

YOU IDIOTS ARE A NG FULL OF YOU LINUX USING STUPID HOME USERS. IT'S THE TRUTH AS YOU ALL LIE THROUGH YOUR LYING LINUX USING TEETH.
CHASE! ;-) WEB server ...

Can Linux Survive the Beating it's Getting? The 2.6 Linux kernel doesn't even work!!!
SCO is suing Linus. Microsoft is still number one. Redhat Linux is dumping the small business home user market and giving them unsupported beta Fedora distro that has no backward patches. Novell bought out SuSE, and as we all know many Novell alumni are now at SCO. Novell will take care of SuSE the same way as SCO does with Linux. Contrary to what the advocates say, Linux is hard to use. I am using SuSE 8.2 and my upgrade to the 2.6 test-9 kernel was unsuccessful. I compiled the kernel using the following steps. make xconfig make bzImage make modules make modules_install I moved the r...

Web resources about - Canonical bribes reporter with free Linux netbook - But he still won't use Linux - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Canonical - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Canonical is the adjective for canon , literally a 'rule', and has come to mean also 'standard', ' archetypal ', 'typical', or 'unique distinguished ...

Cross Domain Canonical Tag - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
www.seroundtable.com/archives/021363.html

Dustin Kirkland of Canonical - YouTube
Barton George of Dell interviews Dustin Kirkland, Canonical's manager of system integration on the server side. Dustin talks about some of the ...

Canonical gets into bed with Amazon
Canonical gets into bed with Amazon

Ubuntu 14.04: Is Canonical taking on too much?
... of Ubuntu 14.04 Long Term Support/LTS (Trusty Tahr) proves to us once again that it doesn't matter if you're Oracle, Microsoft, or Canonical: ...

Canonical Brings Ubuntu To Televisions
Canonical, a services and software company that backs open-source projects like Ubuntu, recently announced they would be moving to compete in ...


Canonical announces the Ubuntu Edge, complete with Indiegogo funding campaign
Canonicals dual-booting halo device will bring the specs every enthusiast has been asking for, provided it meets the $32 Million funding goal ...

Ubuntu for Android: Canonical brings Ubuntu desktop to docked smartphones
Canonical has announced a new product called Ubuntu for Android that will bring the popular Linux distribution to high-end Android smartphones. ...

Canonical releases Snappy Ubuntu Core Linux image for x86-based Intel NUC DE3815TY
... the Raspberry Pi a poor choice. While some consider ARM to be the future, I'm not so sure x86 has been surprisingly adaptable. Today, Canonical ...

Resources last updated: 3/15/2016 4:27:48 AM