Check boxes that can't be checked? Yep - it's the "best" Linux has to offer

"The few glitches I�ve seen tend to involve dialog boxes: there is a check
box but I just can�t get it to check. This might be an application problem
or something else, but I attribute it to early versions of software running
on 9.10. (Something to do with the latest Gnome?)"

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=4617

"Linux is well-tested by many eyes"

0
nospam11 (18349)

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 10:59:01 -0500, DFS wrote:

> "The few glitches I�ve seen tend to involve dialog boxes: there is a check
> box but I just can�t get it to check. This might be an application problem
> or something else, but I attribute it to early versions of software running
> on 9.10. (Something to do with the latest Gnome?)"
>
> http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=4617
>

> "Linux is well-tested by many eyes"

It appears that half of these many eyeballs must be legally blind or are
too afraid to report problems for fear of backlash from the Linux cult.
John Fuhrer wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 10:59:01 -0500, DFS wrote:
>
>> "The few glitches I�ve seen tend to involve dialog boxes: there is a check
>> box but I just can�t get it to check. This might be an application problem
>> or something else, but I attribute it to early versions of software running
>> on 9.10. (Something to do with the latest Gnome?)"
>>
>> http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=4617
>>

>> "Linux is well-tested by many eyes"
>
> It appears that half of these many eyeballs must be legally blind or are
> too afraid to report problems for fear of backlash from the Linux cult.

The few gui glitches i've seen seem to go away when
System->Preferences->Appearance->Visual Effects are set to none.

--
Norman
Registered Linux user #461062
On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 20:40:08 -0500, Norman Peelman wrote:

> John Fuhrer wrote:
>> On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 10:59:01 -0500, DFS wrote:
>>
>>> "The few glitches I�ve seen tend to involve dialog boxes: there is a check
>>> box but I just can�t get it to check. This might be an application problem
>>> or something else, but I attribute it to early versions of software running
>>> on 9.10. (Something to do with the latest Gnome?)"
>>>
>>> http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=4617
>>>

>>> "Linux is well-tested by many eyes"
>>
>> It appears that half of these many eyeballs must be legally blind or are
>> too afraid to report problems for fear of backlash from the Linux cult.
>
> The few gui glitches i've seen seem to go away when
> System->Preferences->Appearance->Visual Effects are set to none.

Yes.
That's been the case for a while.

With 9.04 if I had the effects set to anything other than the middle
selection, if I had pan running and switched desktops, pan would disappear
but would still be in the task list.
Couldn't bring it back though.
Kind of weird but others documented it.

Spamowitz's bullshit on censorious Dietrich's site: "Why Advocacy of Linux Must Not Tolerate Censorship"
http://www.linuxadvocates.com/2013/03/why-advocacy-of-linux-must-not-tolerate.html First off, the owner of this site - Dietrich Schmitz - is a censorious chump who bans people left and right from his Google+ site. Who does he think he's fooling by running such an article? A thousand to one if you post a dissenting comment /anywhere/ on www.linuxadvocates.com., on any article, it will be removed. And the author, Dr. Roy Spamowitz, is a hypocrite fool as well. He bemoans the use of the terms 'trolls' and 'shills', both of which are terms he used hundreds of times here on cola. Today, Spamowitz continues to use 'shills': http://techrights.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Search&ns0=1&redirs=1&search=shills&limit=20&offset=0 His use of 'trolls' appears to be limited to 'patent trolls' but not always: http://techrights.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Search&limit=20&offset=20&ns0=1&redirs=0&search=trolls Bottom line: a hypocritical article written by a hypocrite and hosted on a site run by a censorious hypocrite. On 3/28/13 6:23 PM, in article kj2qb6$jh2$1@dont-email.me, "DFS" <nospam@dfs.com> wrote: > http://www.linuxadvocates.com/2013/03/why-advocacy-of-linux-must-not-tolerate. > html > > First off, the owner of this site - Dietrich Schmitz - is a censorious > chump who bans people left and right from his Goo...

[News] Nokia's Linux-based N900 a "resounding success"; Dell's Linux Phone is Reviewed, Coming Soon

There's "Unix", and then there's "UNIX(r)"
From TOW[1]: The Open Group, an industry standards consortium, now owns the UNIX trademark and allows its use for certified operating systems compliant with its standard, the Single UNIX Specification. Other operating systems that emulate Unix to some extent may be called Unix-like, although the Open Group disapproves of this term.[4] The term Unix is also often used informally to denote any operating system that closely resembles the trademarked system. The most common version of Unix (bearing certification) is Apple's OS X, while Linux is the most popular non-certified workalike. So, to summarize: "Unix" is a class of operating systems that is "UNIX-like", which includes Linux. "UNIX(r)" is a trademark of the Open group, who -- somewhat snootily -- have an issue with the term "UNIX-like". (They can take a flying fsck.) "Cult of Unix" spells "Unix" as "Unix", because otherwise, what would it have to do with Linux? This PSA brought to you by the letter "U" and the number "2". -v Unix minions, unite! On 2/9/14, 1:15 PM, in article ld8nlg$bu7$1@dont-email.me, "vallor" <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote: > From TOW[1]: > > The Open Group, an industry standards consortium, now owns the UNIX > trademark and allows its use for certified operating systems > compliant with its standard, the Single UN...

Forget "Why Can't Johnny Read?" ... Why Can't Eudora Read?
I have a script which writes a MIME-formatted email containing both text and HTML. It works perfectly with all email clients with the exception of the free version of Eudora. As many of you no doubt are aware, a multipart/alternative email is constructed with two or more parts: (1) text for mail clients unable to read HTML and (2) HTML. Eudora is one of the clients which cannot read HTML. So does it read the text version of the multipart/alternative email? Of course not. It tries to read the 2nd part which is the HTML and fails ... thus displaying a table as if it were text. Eudora liter...

Can't comment out shell's "pipe" character
Here's an oddity, using Script Debugger I can't compile shell code containing the pipe character when it's commented out: (* find $folder -type f -name '*.txt' | while IFS= read -r file do sed -n '1! G;h;$ p' "$file" > "$NEWDIR/$file" done *) however adding a linewise comment to the offending line allows the script to compile: (* -- find $folder -type f -name '*.txt' | while IFS= read -r file do sed -n '1! G;h;$ p' "$file" > "$NEWDIR/$file" done *) Is this normal? Doe...

Linux nuts: "there's no malware in Linux land" (then explain this book?)

Ubuntu linux
Ubuntu linux - "No wonder people don't use Linux" http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=415093 Upgraded now not working correctly. - No wonder people don't use Linux. Anyway I upgraded using the official method, all updates then update manager update distribution. Problems & Bugs 1. Initial boot no window title bars, I have had to enable desktop effects to get them back. 2. Enabling desktop effects box not accessable, cannot get focus, once they are enabled. 3. Desktop effects don't actually work, just gets me the window title bars back 4. The gnome/ubuntu star...

If this is "Linux Advocacy" what's up with all of the Microsoft topics being posted?
WTF??? Where exactly is the "Linux Advocacy" in any of this? Another Call for Sacking/Changing of Microsoft Management Microsoft/MSN Press Attacks Vista, Microsoft Trashes XP Microsoft XBox 360 Implosion Microsoft Admits Struggling in Google's Turf Microsoft Still Covets Yahoo and Negotiates Microsoft Afraid of Free Software, Pompous Patent Troll Myhrvold Awaits India Files an Appeal Against Microsoft OOXML!!! Windows 7apourware is Vista-level Disaster All Over Again Another Microsoft General Manager Jumps Sheep [sic] Microsoft/Novell's Risk with Moonlight Gargbage How Mi...

[News] [Linux] Microsoft's Anti-Linux Tactics Named "Scareware"
From vapourware to scareware, Microsoft keeps innovating ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft talks a lot about innovation. It innovated the Xbox, several | years after everyone else; it innovated the Zune, several years after | everyone else; it innovated the GUI, several years after Apple (okay, | and Xerox); it innovated Hotmail ... oh, alright, it bought Hotmail. | Bill Gates famously missed the internet revolution and then innovated | the web browser, several years after Netscape. | | [...] | | In the meantime, though, the company that brought us vapourware has | innovated yet another new produc...

'Here's the thing about Apple's "recent"�success.'
'It isn't recent. The only thing that has changed are some numbers. Some big numbers: largest company in the world, second most profitable company in the world, most profitable retail stores in the world, best-selling smart phone, second best-selling smart phone, best-selling tablet computer, etc. Other numbers have not changed: customer satisfaction, customer loyalty, consumer ratings, etc.' <http://granthuhn.wordpress.com/2011/09/23/heres-the-thing-about-apples-r ecent-success/> -- "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" -- "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone "It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X) '[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' -- 'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM) 'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun) "Alan Baker" wrote in message news:alangbaker-70BC8E.10314523092011@news.shawcable.net... 'It isn't recent. The only thing that has changed are some numbers. Some big numbers: largest company in the wor...

Web resources about - Check boxes that can't be checked? Yep - it's the "best" Linux has to offer - comp.os.linux.advocacy