Comparing Desktop Linux to Windows 7

In my latest blog post "Activity Round up: HACK IN DA B0X" I conclude
that Windows 7 is a user hostile environment compared to your typical
desktop GNU/Linux distro.

[quote]

There was a time that Linux was a geek OS, but that is a long time ago.
Most of us got a bit tired of the main press "Year of the Linux Desktop"
stories. If we are honest we can conclude that Microsoft Windows is the
underdog by now. In contrast to Linux, Windows is almost ready for the
desktop.

Microsoft enthusiasts have been claiming that Windows 7 doesn't require
the much criticized reboots. I have no idea where they got this
"knowledge" but it simply isn't true. I don't know how many times I had
to reboot Windows 7, anyway it was many times. Also the update mechanism
in contrast to your typical Desktop Linux distro is quite user hostile
and time consuming. Plus the lack of a package manager makes Microsoft
Windows a user hostile environment and to be fair, after a couple of
updates and installing some software, it became dog slow (within 24 hours).

[/quote]

http://osg33x.blogspot.com/2011/09/activity-roundup-hack-in-da-b0x.html

http://tinyurl.com/3hw77zn

All the best,

--
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin, alias ML2MST
|_|_|0| https://linuxcounter.net/user/513040.html
|0|0|0| http://www.soundclick.com/martivanlin

0
ml2mst5794 (1274)

Marti Van Lin wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> In my latest blog post "Activity Round up: HACK IN DA B0X" I conclude
> that Windows 7 is a user hostile environment compared to your typical
> desktop GNU/Linux distro.
>
> [quote]
>
> There was a time that Linux was a geek OS, but that is a long time ago.
> Most of us got a bit tired of the main press "Year of the Linux Desktop"
> stories. If we are honest we can conclude that Microsoft Windows is the
> underdog by now. In contrast to Linux, Windows is almost ready for the
> desktop.
>
> Microsoft enthusiasts have been claiming that Windows 7 doesn't require
> the much criticized reboots. I have no idea where they got this
> "knowledge" but it simply isn't true. I don't know how many times I had
> to reboot Windows 7, anyway it was many times. Also the update mechanism
> in contrast to your typical Desktop Linux distro is quite user hostile
> and time consuming. Plus the lack of a package manager makes Microsoft
> Windows a user hostile environment and to be fair, after a couple of
> updates and installing some software, it became dog slow (within 24 hours).
>
> [/quote]
>
> http://osg33x.blogspot.com/2011/09/activity-roundup-hack-in-da-b0x.html

I like the mustachioed Android logo :-)

And another guy going for Gentoo ;->

--
You can tell how far we have to go, when FORTRAN is the language of
supercomputers.
On 15-09-11 12:08, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Marti Van Lin wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> In my latest blog post "Activity Round up: HACK IN DA B0X" I conclude
>> that Windows 7 is a user hostile environment compared to your typical
>> desktop GNU/Linux distro.
>>
>> [quote]
>>
>> There was a time that Linux was a geek OS, but that is a long time ago.
>> Most of us got a bit tired of the main press "Year of the Linux Desktop"
>> stories. If we are honest we can conclude that Microsoft Windows is the
>> underdog by now. In contrast to Linux, Windows is almost ready for the
>> desktop.
>>
>> Microsoft enthusiasts have been claiming that Windows 7 doesn't require
>> the much criticized reboots. I have no idea where they got this
>> "knowledge" but it simply isn't true. I don't know how many times I had
>> to reboot Windows 7, anyway it was many times. Also the update mechanism
>> in contrast to your typical Desktop Linux distro is quite user hostile
>> and time consuming. Plus the lack of a package manager makes Microsoft
>> Windows a user hostile environment and to be fair, after a couple of
>> updates and installing some software, it became dog slow (within 24 hours).
>>
>> [/quote]
>>
>> http://osg33x.blogspot.com/2011/09/activity-roundup-hack-in-da-b0x.html
>
> I like the mustachioed Android logo :-)

Oj vei, it is a goatee, Tim (Goblin) calls it a GNUtee :-) and it is a
representation of myself, made with some Android app, called Androdify IIRC.

> And another guy going for Gentoo ;->

Yep, I'm not waiting 30 days. Just bought a set of CD-R's to burn the
Gentoo Minimal Install boot disk.

Heck, I did a lot of crazy stuff on Android last week, so why shouldn't
I jump on the Gentoo bandwagon and take control?

I *LOVE* the challenge and control.

--
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin, alias ML2MST
|_|_|0| https://linuxcounter.net/user/513040.html
|0|0|0| http://www.soundclick.com/martivanlin

0
ml2mst5794 (1274)
9/15/2011 10:43:22 AM
On 2011-09-15, Marti Van Lin <ml2mst@dontevenbother.invalid> wrote:

> Yep, I'm not waiting 30 days. Just bought a set of CD-R's to burn the
> Gentoo Minimal Install boot disk.

You only need *one* CD-R...current minimal amd64 install iso is 138MB.
I've also installed from a USB keydrive using the minimal install iso.

> Heck, I did a lot of crazy stuff on Android last week, so why shouldn't
> I jump on the Gentoo bandwagon and take control?

Why not? What have you got to lose, other than a bit of time?

--
Regards,
Gregory.
> In my latest blog post "Activity Round up: HACK IN DA B0X" I conclude that
> Windows 7 is a user hostile environment compared to your typical desktop
> GNU/Linux distro.
>
> [quote]
>
> There was a time that Linux was a geek OS, but that is a long time ago.

No, read the COLA FAQ:
https://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/43327f0c6ce4d84b?hl=nl&dmode=source&output=gplain

> Most of us got a bit tired of the main press "Year of the Linux Desktop"
> stories.

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta in January 2009, Linux
had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b5/Operating_system_usage_share.svg
[............]
"Ultimately, Linux is doomed on the desktop because of a critical lack of
content. And that lack of content owes its existence to two key factors: the
fragmentation of the Linux platform, and the fierce ideology of the
open-source community at large."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html

> If we are honest we can conclude that Microsoft Windows is the underdog by
> now.

Your an idiot: http://statowl.com/operating_system_market_share.php
Linux dropped from 0,91% ===> 0,74%

> In contrast to Linux, Windows is almost ready for the desktop.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! *GURGLE* *CHOKE* *COUGH* *SPLUTTER* & *WHEEZE*
BWAHAHAHAHAH!!!!
Idiot!, Windows has 86% of the desktop, Linux 0,74%

> Microsoft enthusiasts have been claiming that Windows 7 doesn't require
> the much criticized reboots. I have no idea where they got this
> "knowledge" but it simply isn't true.

That's because your a pansy arsed shitstick and pretend you know something
about Windows, which is clearly not the case!

> I don't know how many times I had to reboot Windows 7, anyway it was many
> times.

LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIE, LIEing for LIEnux

> Also the update mechanism in contrast to your typical Desktop Linux distro
> is quite user hostile and time consuming.

LIE, LIE, LIEing for LIEnux
Automatic updates runs on shutdown.

> Plus the lack of a package manager makes Microsoft Windows a user hostile
> environment and to be fair, after a couple of updates and installing some
> software, it became dog slow (within 24 hours).

LIE, LIE, LIE, LIEing for LIEnux
I'm running an original copy of Vista (SP2) on /this/ machine since 2007 and
there are no slowdowns, hundreds of updates installed.

> [/quote]
>
> http://osg33x.blogspot.com/2011/09/activity-roundup-hack-in-da-b0x.html
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3hw77zn
>
> All the best,

Go swallow a dollop sperm again tonight, that's a false delicacy, but a lot
less sadistic.
--
Marti van Lin - often makes posts about being "fucked in the ass" - says men
are

0
clogwog (1758)
9/15/2011 12:12:28 PM
On Sep 15, 2:32=A0am, Marti Van Lin <ml2...@dontevenbother.invalid>
wrote:
> In my latest blog post "Activity Round up: HACK IN DA B0X" I conclude
> that Windows 7 is a user hostile environment compared to your typical
> desktop GNU/Linux distro.

Windows 7 is not Linux, therefore it sucks.

And they say bloggers aren't journalists...

--
"I have no studies to back this up" - Snit
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/d7646742e2b3123d?=
On 15-09-11 13:24, Gregory Shearman wrote:

> On 2011-09-15, Marti Van Lin<ml2mst@dontevenbother.invalid>  wrote:
>>
>> Yep, I'm not waiting 30 days. Just bought a set of CD-R's to burn the
>> Gentoo Minimal Install boot disk.
>
> You only need *one* CD-R...current minimal amd64 install iso is 138MB.
> I've also installed from a USB keydrive using the minimal install iso.

Yes I was aware of that fact Gregory, for some odd reason this machine
doesn't like to boot from /any/ USB device and I was running out of
CD-R's and you can't buy a single CD-R up here. It's a package of 10
pieces, but they don't cost a fortune, so no problem there.

>> Heck, I did a lot of crazy stuff on Android last week, so why shouldn't
>> I jump on the Gentoo bandwagon and take control?
>
> Why not? What have you got to lose, other than a bit of time?

Indeed, the install environment and the network are up and I have the
Gentoo handbook on console 2 in links ATM. Having a lot of fun ;-)

--
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin, alias ML2MST
|_|_|0| https://linuxcounter.net/user/513040.html
|0|0|0| http://www.soundclick.com/martivanlin

0
ml2mst5794 (1274)
9/15/2011 4:41:17 PM
On 2011-09-15, Marti Van Lin <ml2mst@dontevenbother.invalid> wrote:
> On 15-09-11 13:24, Gregory Shearman wrote:
>
>> On 2011-09-15, Marti Van Lin<ml2mst@dontevenbother.invalid>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Yep, I'm not waiting 30 days. Just bought a set of CD-R's to burn the
>>> Gentoo Minimal Install boot disk.
>>
>> You only need *one* CD-R...current minimal amd64 install iso is 138MB.
>> I've also installed from a USB keydrive using the minimal install iso.
>
> Yes I was aware of that fact Gregory, for some odd reason this machine
> doesn't like to boot from /any/ USB device and I was running out of
> CD-R's and you can't buy a single CD-R up here. It's a package of 10
> pieces, but they don't cost a fortune, so no problem there.

Hmm.. that's weird. All machines I've bought in the last 10 years can
boot from USB. You just enter the BIOS at boot and set it to boot from
the USB stick you've got plugged into it.

>>> Heck, I did a lot of crazy stuff on Android last week, so why shouldn't
>>> I jump on the Gentoo bandwagon and take control?
>>
>> Why not? What have you got to lose, other than a bit of time?
>
> Indeed, the install environment and the network are up and I have the
> Gentoo handbook on console 2 in links ATM. Having a lot of fun ;-)

Good on ya...

--
Regards,
Gregory.

Lowering The Boom on False Linux Advocacy. Was Nvidia. Was Linux vs Windows 7.
Zealots and cults are bad no matter what their cause may be. They do little to further the acceptance of their POV and in fact tend to do harm to the legitimate portions of the cause. All cults and thus the zealots that comprise them are based in some form of truth and reality. The cult of Linux is no different in this matter. One thing about a cult and the cultists themselves is that it is generally trivial for lucid people to expose them for what they really are. In the case of the Linux cult, the misguided people who believe they are edifying Linux are easy to expose. I posted a factual message, backed up by screen shots, demonstrating a defect in Linux, specifically Ubuntu and kUbuntu but not limited to those distributions. The effect was already a known factor and the Linux cultists did not disappoint at all. They swarmed the enemy, me, with their own form of misguided lies, IOW using the Intel driver, or using the Display configuration utility, without even bothering to read the message or look at the screen shots where it was plainly obvious I was not talking about Intel nor did the Display application even recognize that 2 monitors was installed so that was a lost cause. Then we have the "you didn't enable xinerama" as if this has anything to do with the problem. Hint: the nvidia settings program works fine. It just won't parse and properly update the xorg file so the correctly working twinview will not survive a re-boot. This i...

[News] [Linux] Vista Out the Windows, GNU/Linux on the Desktop
Assembling the Linux PC ,----[ Quote ] | The Vista Out My Windows | | You may recall that I had a dual-boot setup with WinXP SP2 on the other | hard drive. Well, after I had the 8800GTS purring like a kitten under | Linux, I decided to work on the WinXP side. Windows should be easy, | right? After all, we're always fed that Windows has tons of seamless | hardware support... | | Wrong. This was the recipe for disaster. I have yet to get the | WinXP partition to boot, even in Safe Mode. Safe Mode should | bypass any driver compatibility issues by loading generic | drivers. The net res...

7 N 7. Windows 7 here in 7 days. Goodbye Linux.
Windows 7 will obliterate what scraps of Linux are still left lying around like rotting garbage. The masses will welcome Windows 7 with open wallets and will ignore free Linux desktop even more than in the past, if that is even mathematically possible. You can tell that excitement is in the air over the Windows release because the Linux morons are squealing like stuck pigs. Hopefully this will put desktop Linux out of it's misery and flush the basements of the world of these Linux worshiping vermin. Who knows, maybe sales of soap, the kind used to clean things, will go up? Of course sales of pizza and jolt will go down. Goodbye Linux. We hardly knew ya. Doug Miller wrote: > Windows 7 will obliterate what scraps of Linux are still left lying > around like rotting garbage. The masses will welcome Windows 7 with > open wallets and will ignore free Linux desktop even more than in the > past, if that is even mathematically possible. Well now, you seem to be much more intelligent than the last person (DFS) that I was talking to on this subject, so perhaps *you* would like to give us some figures? In effect, Windows 7 will have been on sale on most new computers (retail) since July (in that most have been sold with a Windows 7 Upgrade option), and no doubt (as you say) people will go out in droves to open their wallets and buy it anyway. Therefore, on 1st December, we should see a very substantial leap in Windows 7 use on (say) NetApplications and statcounter, s...

The Linux desktop experience is killing Linux on the desktop.
Another "satisfied" Linux user finally realizes that Linux is slop ware. Interesting how he discusses the same problematic areas of Linux that the Linturds in COLA deny exist. http://batsov.com/Linux/Windows/Rant/2011/06/11/linux-desktop-experience-killing-linux-on-the-desktop.html http://tinyurl.com/5wgyhnx "I��ve been using GNU/Linux exclusively for 8 years now. I��ve spent a lot of time with Fedora, Gentoo and Arch Linux. I use it at home, I use it at work and along the way I��ve converted many Windows users to Linux. I��ve lived through a lot of driver and software problems with Linux, hoping that the day would come when it will become a first-class citizen of the desktop operating systems town. Alas, this day never came and probably never will.My patience ended this week and I��ll be gradually moving all my desktop machines back to Windows." ---Snip the gory details "The Shit I endured" "Non-existing ethernet/wireless drivers - not so common today, but try remembering the time circa 2005 Non-existing/crappy audio drivers - got an X-Fi 5 years ago, ALSA driver was released 3-4 years later and was total piece of garbage, OSS driver was barely usable. I don��t even get me started on USB audio support - what a joke�K Lamest video card drivers ever - most video card drivers for Linux are so bad I cannot even watch tear-free video. Nvidia have the only decent video driver, but it��s far from perfect either - no KMS, poor 2D accele...

I have Linux! I have Linux!

Windows 7 vs. Linux: Hardware Acceleration. Linux Fails Again......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay_20ESjixs Linux doesn't seem to be doing too well..... Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaa! -- flatfish+++ Please visit our hall of Linux idiots. http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/ Watching Linux Fail: http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/ Linux's dismal desktop market share: http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/ Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead "By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory." http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html ...

My Linux is not your Linux

Why linux is linux

[News] Ubuntu Linux Gets ROX Desktop; Why you Should Leave Windows for Linux
ROX Desktop: Ubuntu integration ,----[ Quote ] | Can we get rid of ROX-Session? It should be possible to integrate ROX | with your existing session manager. In this experiment, I configure a | fresh Ubuntu installation to run ROX, without using ROX-Session. `---- http://rox.sourceforge.net/desktop/node/409 broadband blog on Ubuntu Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Why should you shift to Linux? Windows XP is being retired from early | next year in order not to cannibalise the sales of Windows Vista. This | means that you would have to pay the price for overpriced software and | hardware in order to ...

Windows 7 vs. Linux: Spreadsheet Performance...See Linux FAIL........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=875AbZcWoCk Holy SHIT!!!! LIEnux really sucks!! -- flatfish+++ Please visit our hall of Linux idiots. http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/ Watching Linux Fail: http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/ Linux's dismal desktop market share: http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/ Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead "By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory." http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html On 6/3/2011 5:34 PM, flatfish+++ wrote: > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=875AbZcWoCk > > Holy SHIT!!!! > > LIEnux really sucks!! > That's not the dumbest thing I've ever seen, but I would have felt my time was better spent if it had been. I wonder why the author, which I guess is probably you, did not at least use OpenOffice on the windows side? On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 18:37:40 -0500, Grinder wrote: > On 6/3/2011 5:34 PM, flatfish+++ wrote: >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=875AbZcWoCk >> >> Holy SHIT!!!! >> >> LIEnux really sucks!! >> > > That's not the dumbest thing I've ever seen, but I would have felt my > time was better spent if it had been. I wonder why the author, which I > guess is probably you, did not at least use OpenOffice on the windows side? Maybe he didn't feel like waiting ...

[News] [Linux] Man Chooses Linux Over Mac OS X, Windows
Which OS for Ruby on Rails development? ,----[ Quote ] | I've had experience using Linux servers (no GUIs), so I figured I | could always drop back to the command line if something broke and | I've had to once or twice during installations. But overall I have | been pleasantly surprised at how civil an experience it has been. `---- http://falkayn.blogspot.com/2007/05/which-os-for-ruby-on-rails-development.html ...

Review: Windows 7 killed Linux on the desktop
Good review, and I heartedly agree with it. RL Windows 7 is enough to kill Linux on the desktop First INQpressions Should damage Apple too By Nick Farrell Wed Jan 14 2009, 11:22 Read more: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/review/1050392/windows-kill-linux-desktop#ixzz1NUR0H3Zc The Inquirer - Computer hardware news and downloads. Visit the download store today. On May 27, 2:51=A0am, RayLopez99 <raylope...@gmail.com> wrote: > Good review, and I heartedly agree with it. > > RL > > Windows 7 is enough to kill Linux on the desktop > > First INQpressions Should damage Apple too > By Nick Farrell > Wed Jan 14 2009, 11:22 > > Read more:http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/review/1050392/windows-kill= -linux... > > The Inquirer - Computer hardware news and downloads. Visit the > download store today. Killer review for a killer OS. A Linux killer. RL Given the advantages of using Windows, particularly if you use open source software to do your office functions, it becomes harder to say that more user-friendly versions of Linux, such as Ubuntu are worthwhile. Read more: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/review/1050392/windows-kill-= linux-desktop#ixzz1NURekVWG The Inquirer - Computer hardware news and downloads. Visit the download store today. RayLopez99 wrote: > Good review, and I heartedly agree with it. > > RL > > Windows 7 is enough to kill Linux on the desktop > > First INQpressions Should da...

Why Linux Sucks Compared To Windows 7. A Pictorial.
Try to configure multiple monitors with kUbuntu (or Ubuntu) latest RC. System is a Gigabyte MB with an Nvidia dual head card with 2 LCD attached. The Nvidia driver is installed via the package manager. Go to Settings--Display and click on 'Multiple Monitors' and Linux doesn't even know I have 2 monitors installed. This happened with the desfault open source driver as well. Go to nvidia-settings and enable the 2nd monitor and set it up for twinview. This enables the second LCD and I am capable to move between screens as one large desktop. Close program nvidia-settings. Unfortunately if I reboot the system goes back to single monitor. Go through nvidia-settings again and this time click write to xorg.conf. Fails with a "can't parse file message". Try using sudo nvidia-settings with same result. This is basic procedure and Linux can't seem to get it correct. So what is the solution? I search bing and see bug reports from 2 versions ago of Ubuntu. Does not anyone fix these bugs? Do Linux users not have 2 monitors? Windows 7? Install it and it detects both monitors and works right from the start. See link for pictures. http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac157/fuhrerjohn/ An example of why Linux sucks compared to Windows 7. John Fuhrer "John Fuhrer" <fuhrer_deletethis_john@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:hbv9ts$cdg$1@aioe.org... > Try to configure multiple monitors with kUbuntu (or Ubuntu) latest RC. > System is a Gig...

[News] New Linux Mimics Windows XP, Supports Migration to Linux Desktops
New RP-developed Linux 'looks, feels' like Windows XP ,----[ Quote ] | The Department of Science and Technology-Advanced Science and | Technology (DOST-ASTI) recently launched the Bayanihan Linux | version 4 (BL4) and this time, it looks more like Microsoft | Windows XP than the Macintosh OS. | | BL4 is now based on Linux Debian Stable, unlike the previous | version that used Fedora. Likewise, BL4 uses the KDE graphical | user interface that gives it a Microsoft Windows XP look. `---- http://www.asianjournal.com/?c=190&a=19140 Related: DMMSU Migrates to Linux ,----[ Quote ]...

Shocking news: Linux Format magazine claims Linux beats Windows 7!
I was totally surprised... On 2009-07-29, the following emerged from the brain of DFS: > I was totally surprised... You haven't been reading 7's posts then? -- Q: What do you call a blind pre-historic animal? A: Diyathinkhesaurus. Q: What do you call a blind pre-historic animal with a dog? A: Diyathinkhesaurus Rex. On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:58:51 -0400, DFS wrote: > I was totally surprised... The author is Graham Morrison who is a known Linux zealot. http://digg.com/linux_unix/Play_Windows_games_on_Linux_with_Crossover?t=27215888 "Wrong. Graham Morrison seems to be a bit in love with linux. Crossover is a mediocre application. In the end if your using linux you know how to setup a dual boot. And if your trying to play games with your netbook... forget about it!" Moshe Goldfarb wrote: > On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:58:51 -0400, DFS wrote: > >> I was totally surprised... > > The author is Graham Morrison who is a known Linux zealot. Piss off troll! Post some Linux Advocay or don't post here. This is not a place for calling Linux enthusiasts names and rant off topic. http://digg.com/linux_unix/Play_Windows_games_on_Linux_with_Crossover?t=27215888 > > "Wrong. Graham Morrison seems to be a bit in love with linux. > Crossover is a mediocre application. In the end if your using > linux you know how to setup a dual boot. And if your trying to > play games with your netbook... forget about it!" On Wed,...

[News] Dell Prepares for Another Wave of Linux Desktops with Ubuntu Linux 7.10
Dell Preps for Next Linux Desktop Release ,----[ Quote ] | So, what does that mean to Ubuntu resellers and customers? Quite a lot. | Ubuntu moved from niche status into the spotlight when Michael Dell himself | began running the operating system. `---- http://techiqmag.com/2007/10/08/dell-preps-for-next-linux-desktop-release/ Ubuntu 7.10 should make Dell happy ,----[ Quote ] | After a large download and subsequent reboot, this computer came up in much | better shape than it was in 7.04. `---- http://useopensource.blogspot.com/2007/10/ubuntu-710-should-make-dell-happy.html Related: HP To Expand Effort On Linux PCs ,----[ Quote ] | Hewlett-Packard, the world's Number 1 PC maker, will try selling pre-loaded | Linux on PCs in several countries as it expands a test program -- evaluating | a market that some competitors have already entered -- as it moves its | personal computer business into a new generation of form factors and | functionality.     `---- http://www.crn.com/software/201807523 HP launches Linux desktop in Australia ,----[ Quote ] | The dx2250 HP desktop ships with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Desktop | pre-loaded, which includes Firefox, OpenOffice and the Evolution e-mail | client. Red Hat will handle technical support for the system. `---- http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/HP-launches-Linux-desktop-in-Australia/0,130061733,339281649,00.htm ...

Linux crapware is "rubbish... Windows 7 makes Linux look so yesterday"
Not yesterday... yestercentury. "What absolute nonsense! Fair enough, Windows may have its share of issues, but Linux's product is rubbish. I was a passionate user of it but gave up, it just become too hard! I may be in the minority, but I find Windows Vista fine, and I was running the beta of Windows 7, which is really good. Makes Linux look so yesterday..." http://sinaisix.blogspot.com/2009/08/5-things-microsoft-does-not-want-you-to.html On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:57:59 -0400, DFS wrote: > Not yesterday... yestercentury. > > > "What absolute nonsense! Fair enough, Windows may have its share of > issues, but Linux's product is rubbish. I was a passionate user of it > but gave up, it just become too hard! I may be in the minority, but I > find Windows Vista fine, and I was running the beta of Windows 7, which > is really good. Makes Linux look so yesterday..." > > > http://sinaisix.blogspot.com/2009/08/5-things-microsoft-does-not-want- you-to.html What do you think you are accomplishing? -- Rick On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:30:57 -0500, Rick wrote: > On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:57:59 -0400, DFS wrote: > >> Not yesterday... yestercentury. >> >> >> "What absolute nonsense! Fair enough, Windows may have its share of >> issues, but Linux's product is rubbish. I was a passionate user of it >> but gave up, it just become too hard! I may be in the minority, bu...

Using Windows 7, like it. Why bother with Linux for the desktop?
Bought a new laptop, came loaded with 7. Essentially W7 is a service pack update of Vista, but since I liked Vista I like 7. Question: why would anybody use Linux? Seriously. Unless you have an inordinate fear of getting caught using wares, or are very moral, or are so hapless you can't afford a paid for copy of Office and other stuff? I myself usually buy software, but on those rare occasions I need to pirate (since I don't use the programs that much) I resort to buying them on a CD/DVD (escapes detection) or using a file sharing program in some internet cafe (same reason). BitTorrent and the PirateBay are usually "safe" bets. Sure you get an occasional virus but that's what virus-protection software is for. Seriously, why use Linux? I don't see any advantage for the desktop. Apache yes, and mobile phone OSes yes, but otherwise not. Nuff said. RL On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 02:20:05 -0800, RayLopez99 wrote: > Bought a new laptop, came loaded with 7. Essentially W7 is a service > pack update of Vista, but since I liked Vista I like 7. > > Question: why would anybody use Linux? Why would anyone use Windows? Even legitimate users are now being accused of using pirated versions through the flawed GA program..... Unless you use applications for which there are no Linux equivalents (and these tend to be quite specialised ones now a days) there is no point in using Windows... Op 15-02-11 13:30, Gordon schreef: > On Tue, 15 Feb...

The Linux desktop experience is killing Linux on the desktop, Part II
Unlike the Linturds of COLA, this guy actually uses Linux and knows why it's having problems as a desktop alternative to Windows. Read it and weep freetards!!! Let the discrediting games begin!! http://batsov.com/Linux/Windows/Rant/2011/06/14/linux-desktop-part-2.html Overture A few days back I wrote a somewhat controversial article called, ��The Linux desktop experience is killing Linux on the desktop��. While many readers seem to have grasped the true purpose of the article, a lot of people claimed that it was nothing but FUD (a favorite term of many people in the Linux community, who would rather ignore existing problems than face/acknowledge them). If you��ve read my last post and generally agree with it - don��t bother reading this one. It��s basically more of the same - in greater detail and with less profanities. In this article I��ll have a look at the state of the Linux desktop, it��s usability, strengths and weaknesses. Let��s get some facts straight I��m writing this post from my Emacs 23.2 client (in Markdown, to publish it via git to my jekyll powered blog) connected to my Emacs daemon, running on my Fedora 15 GNOME 3.0 desktop at home. This machine has its every part carefully selected for maximum Linux compatibility (the machine is a bit old, but that wasn��t always the case) - a GeForce 9600GT known to work ��great�� with the open-source nouveau driver, an Asus Xonar DX sound card, supported by the great Oxygen HD audio driver, etc. I do know how...

[News] Standard Windows Desktop Very Poor Compared to GNU/Linux

[News] Linux, Unlike Windows, Runs Both Linux and Windows Programs

Information Week
It's a pretty good article. It gives Linux the respect it deserves. <quote> There's fierce debate in the air about what 7 means for both Windows and Linux. Microsoft's last gasp? Linux's formidable new enemy? Closer inspection shows us it's not really either of those things. Linux has made strides of its own on the desktop and made it possible to build netbooks at low cost--and while Windows 7 will almost certainly take a bite out of that market and impress existing Windows users all the more, Linux has also become its own animal. </quote> http://www.i...

Web resources about - Comparing Desktop Linux to Windows 7 - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Forbes.com Removes Post Comparing Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg To Kim Polese
... Officer Mark Zuckerberg ) as Silicon Valley’s new It girl. That was one thing, and a fine thing. But when the article went beyond, comparing ...

Comparing Tech Companies by Revenue and Profit Per Employee, 2015
Two tweets from Dustin Curtis that tell a big story.

KidZilla - Counting, Comparing, Matching and Rhyming Fun for Kids! on the App Store on iTunes
Get KidZilla - Counting, Comparing, Matching and Rhyming Fun for Kids! on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews. ...

Comparing Satellites
jurvetson posted a photo: "This is our satellite here…. It has 10x the resolution of the big satellite there with one thousandth of the mass" ...

CNN Reporter OWNED For Comparing Cruise Experience To Katrina: We're On A Freaking Cruise Ship - YouTube ...
owned cnn comparing cruise katrina - CNN Reporter Smacked Down For Comparing Passenger's Experience To Katrina: 'We're On A Freaking Cruise Ship'. ...

Comparing Approval Ratings From Different Polling Firms - Rasmussen Reports™
Rasmussen Reports - The best place to look for polls that are spot on

Getting around Dubai: Comparing costs with other parts of the world
The reporters tasked with determining the best way to get from one end of Dubai to the other wanted to not only compare the costs with other ...

Menu comparing PM to quail an in-house joke, says restaurant owner
The menu that compared Julia Gillard's body to a cooked quail has been labelled an “in-house” joke by the owner of the Brisbane restaurant that ...

Lena Dunham criticised for comparing her Jewish boyfriend to her dog
... titled, 'Dog or Jewish Boyfriend? A Quiz', she asks readers to compare the similarities. Girls actor Lena Dunham has been criticised for comparing ...

Snapped: Comparing Nokia Lumia 1020, Samsung GS4 and HTC One camera quality
Nokia's brand-new Lumia 1020 Windows Phone packs one of the most unique phone cameras on the market today. Carl Zeiss Tessar lens; 41MP (forty-one-megapixel) ...