f



Consistently Linux Failed To Grab Even 1% Of The Desktop OS Market

http://mayurkshirsagar.wordpress.com/2010/08/10/consistently-linux-failed-to-grab-even-1-of-the-desktop-os-market/

http://tinyurl.com/2e33bu7

"Linux has been around for almost last 20 years now. It has become a
resounding success as a server OS (for example as the L in the famous
LAMP stack), and more recently as a mobile OS (Android). But what about
on the desktop?

In 2003, Siemens Business Systems predicted that Linux would have
captured 20% of the desktop market by 2008. Well, I think that was
dirtiest prediction and also it is. Because, it�s now 2010, and desktop
Linux isn�t even close to 20%. Or one tenth of that. Lolz. Do you know
that Linux is safest OS ever. ha ha ha..!"

"The sad truth is, Linux on the desktop has so far failed to really take
off. Linux hasn�t even been able to claim a single percent of the
desktop OS market.
Here is the current desktop OS market share distribution, by
StatCounter:"
0
flatfish (4841)
3/20/2011 1:00:29 PM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 124139 articles. 3 followers. Post Follow

4 Replies
716 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 12

On 2011-03-20, the following emerged from the brain of flatfish+++:
>
> 8<

See, Linux /is/ consistent.

-- 
Chuck Norris doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the
information he wants.
0
TomB
3/21/2011 6:54:24 AM
On Mar 20, 2:00=A0pm, flatfish+++ <flatf...@marianatrench.com> wrote:
> http://mayurkshirsagar.wordpress.com/2010/08/10/consistently-linux-fa...
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2e33bu7
>
> "Linux has been around for almost last 20 years now. It has become a
> resounding success as a server OS (for example as the L in the famous
> LAMP stack), and more recently as a mobile OS (Android). But what about
> on the desktop?


The desktop environment is dominated by customers who do not know any
better and do not _want_ to know any better. They accept what's been
given to them (prepackaged with the computer) and ask no questions.

> In 2003, Siemens Business Systems predicted that Linux would have
> captured 20% of the desktop market by 2008. Well, I think that was
> dirtiest prediction and also it is. Because, it s now 2010, and desktop
> Linux isn t even close to 20%. Or one tenth of that. Lolz. Do you know
> that Linux is safest OS ever. ha ha ha..!"
>
> "The sad truth is, Linux on the desktop has so far failed to really take
> off. Linux hasn t even been able to claim a single percent of the
> desktop OS market.

However, it's a smashing success on systems where quality7 of software
actually matters. Your rant should be addressed to endusers who don't
know, don't care about the security of their systems.

> Here is the current desktop OS market share distribution, by
> StatCounter:"

The desktop market is (technically) the least interesting of software
markets, most users being satisfied if they can write an e-mail, get
onto facebook and whatch some porn. So what you're actually saying is
that Linux dominates all markets that really matter and Windblows is
restricted to markets where the punters don't know any better and
don't want to know any better.

Well... Thanks. :-)
0
Kleuskes
3/21/2011 8:35:22 AM
On 3/21/2011 4:35 AM, Kleuskes & Moos wrote:

> The desktop environment is dominated by customers who do not know any
> better and do not _want_ to know any better. They accept what's been
> given to them (prepackaged with the computer) and ask no questions.


uh huh... only you 8 disgruntled cola morons can find and evaluate 
operating systems.

Now slap yourself with those big ol' paws, man-hands.

0
nospam2091 (10001)
3/21/2011 9:46:33 PM
On Sunday, March 20, 2011 9:00:29 AM UTC-4, flatfish+++ wrote:
> http://mayurkshirsagar.wordpress.com/2010/08/10/consistently-linux-failed=
-to-grab-even-1-of-the-desktop-os-market/

> http://tinyurl.com/2e33bu7

Another misguided attempt to base conclusions on the flawed Statcounter sta=
tistics.

Statcounter requires certain settings which Linux normally blocks (such as =
cross-sight certificates and cookies.  Requires Linux systems to give non-s=
tandard signatures (systems with X11 as first entry are not counted), and c=
ounts Linux only if it's the ONLY OS on the IP address for the entire sampl=
e period.

So, for example, if I spend the entire day working on Linux, and my wife co=
mes home and plays pogo for an hour, my NAT router gets counted as a Window=
s IP address and the Linux devices (all 3 of them) never get counted.

> "Linux has been around for almost last 20 years now. It has become a
> resounding success as a server OS (for example as the L in the famous
> LAMP stack), and more recently as a mobile OS (Android). But what about
> on the desktop?

The "Desktop" is almost as antique as an "adding machine".  Most people use=
 laptops these days.

But if you DO have a laptop that is running Windows 7, and you purchased it=
 recently, you may find that you are actually running as many as 4 Linux sy=
stems to support it.  The flat-panel display is probably running embedded L=
inux.  If you are connected to a Router or WiFi hub - that's probably runni=
ng Linux, and if you have an external hard drive, or network attached hard =
drive, that's probably running Linux.

And the big hoot, you Motherboard's BIOS, may actually be Linux!

But because you see the Windows logo on the desktop in that bottom left cor=
ner, you assume that you are ONLY using Linux.

Today, about the ONLY thing people use "Pure Windows" for, is those Word, E=
xcel, and PowerPoint slides, and even those are losing favor as Office 2010=
 keep spitting out crap that Office 2003 users can't read, and the Virus ch=
ecker and security engines block attachments in the docx, xlsx, and pptx fo=
rmats - because they are so easily loaded with viruses.

It used to take some talent to plant a virus, but now you can imbed the mal=
icious code into the zip file created by the xlsx document - and Windows ca=
n't distinguish the binaries - and will simply execute the binary executabl=
e file.

According to another flawed survey that undercounts Linux,

2011    	Win7 	Vista 	Win2003 	WinXP 	W2000 	Linux 	Mac
February 	32.2% 	8.3% 	1.0%    	44.2% 	0.2% 	5.1% 	8.1%
January 	31.1% 	8.6% 	1.0%    	45.3% 	0.2% 	5.0% 	7.8%
  	  	  	  	  	  	  	=20
2010    	Win7 	Vista 	Win2003 	WinXP 	W2000 	Linux 	Mac
December 	29.1% 	8.9% 	1.1%    	47.2% 	0.2% 	5.0% 	7.3%
November 	28.5% 	9.5% 	1.1%    	47.0% 	0.2% 	5.0% 	7.7%

And according to Microsoft's Steve Ballmer, Linux is as big as Mac.

Linux is typically undercounted for two reasons. First, most Linux users us=
e NAT firewalls to enhance security.  In some cases, the Linux desktop IS t=
he NAT router.  In other cases, they share a connection using Windows - whi=
ch acts as a NAT router.  Since NAT routers are generally connected to cabl=
e or fiber connections, the connections are live 24/7 for weeks or months, =
without changing IP addresses.  Windows users on the other hand, frequently=
 make use of dial-up and cellular connections, which means the same compute=
r can cycle through several IP addresses in an hour.

All an IP address counter such as Statmarket and W3Schools counts is which =
provided has the most IP addresses - and of course the dial-up and cellular=
 providers NEED a lot more IP addresses.

Linux users behind CORPORATE firewalls would disappear completely, especial=
ly in the StatMarket survey.

Counters that count number of packets per platform would also undercount Li=
nux, because Linux users often use Squid - which caches pages and images fo=
r days, weeks, or months, and doesn't need to do refresh as often - while W=
indows pre-fetches pages that never get viewed and refresh every time a pag=
e is accessed.

To make things really confusing, the same PC could be running BOTH Windows =
and Linux, at the same time, using the same IP address - and statmarket wou=
ld only see Windows.

The argument is that if you have 1 Linux system and 1,000 Windows systems, =
then counting 1 Linux and 1 Windows system for that IP address would be und=
er-counting Linux.

> In 2003, Siemens Business Systems predicted that Linux would have
> captured 20% of the desktop market by 2008.

In 2003, there were no netbooks, no tablets, and no virtualization.

Shortly after that announcement was made, Microsoft decided that this was a=
 real possibility, and brokered a deal that made Daryl McBride the CEO of C=
aldera/SCO, and then brokered funding for a lawsuit claiming that IBM had p=
irated software it gave to Linux.

Years later, it turned out that SCO didn't even own Linux, McBride hand bee=
n told by his top advisors that the lawsuit would be fraudulent, and IBM as=
ked the judge NOT to drop a few claims, because they wanted to prove that I=
BM owned the property in question, and that ALL parties financially contrib=
uting to the lawsuit, including Microsoft and Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer =
personally, should be held liable for damages caused by knowingly funding a=
nd filing a fraudulent lawsuit.  IBM is still waiting for the Bankruptcy co=
urt to finish it's work (since IBM would have to split winnings from it's c=
laims with all other creditors if it filed the lawsuit before the bankruptc=
y as adjudicated).

Until the facts came out however, companies who were plagued by problems re=
lated to Windows XP Service Pack 2, and who were ready to take a serious lo=
ok at Linux - were scared off enough to hold of the transition.

The OEMs, who had been hopeful that Judge Kollar-Kotelly would enforce the =
clauses of the settlement that would stop Microsoft from interfering with s=
ales of Linux on PCs - filed numerous complaints with the California group.=
  Over 7,000 complaints were filed, but the Bush administration, who got a =
huge campaign contribution from Microsoft and it's executives through Jack =
Abramov charities - blocked all of these complaints, which tied the judge's=
 hands.  On several occasions, the Judge even chastised the Bush team for w=
hat she considered obstruction - but without a motion from the Attorney Gen=
eral, her hands were tied.

> Well, I think that was
> dirtiest prediction and also it is. Because, it=CE=BF=CE=8F=C2=BDs now 20=
10, and desktop
> Linux isn=CE=BF=CE=8F=C2=BDt even close to 20%. Or one tenth of that. Lol=
z. Do you know
> that Linux is safest OS ever. ha ha ha..!"

How do you know?  Because StatMarket says so?  And they say so in a "Free" =
survey, using methods that were described 10 years ago, and are no longer p=
ublicly documented (because the flaws above were identified)?

If you want some "real" numbers, you might want to talk to companies like Y=
ahoo, Google, and Facebook.  Google's last publication of Linux market shar=
e, in 2002, which counted registered users based on IP address, log-in name=
, and operating system - counted Linux at 17%.

If we assume that the W3Schools represents only those PCs which are running=
 Linux exclusively, and we assume that only 7% of all Linux users use Linux=
 exclusively, then that 4% could be 40% - which would include all of those =
who use Linux AND Windows in some combination on one or more machines in du=
al machine, dual boot, and virtualization options.

And then we have all the other GUI devices running Linux.  Android devices =
are being licensed at the rate of 350,000 per day.  Kindle sold 7 million d=
evices.  Android tablets of numerous types are now being sold by a number o=
f different vendors for companies like Borders, Barnes & Noble, and Amazon.=
  And there are the "white paper" readers such as the Sony e-book, Nook, an=
d so on.

Then there are the HDTV sets and picture frames which use Linux.

But Microsoft advocates want to keep narrowing the parameters of the survey=
, and protect the illusion that "Linux is far too complicated for mere mort=
als to use".  My Wife just got here Droid 2 and she loves it so much she wo=
n't even let me touch it.

I'm looking for a Verizon 4G phone that has a physical keyboard.  Either th=
at or I'll have to grow pointy fingernails so I can type on that tiny keybo=
ard.

> "The sad truth is, Linux on the desktop has so far failed to really take
> off. Linux hasn=CE=BF=CE=8F=C2=BDt even been able to claim a single perce=
nt of the
> desktop OS market.

Would you bet your house on that?

Steve Ballmer has much more at stake, and HE says you are wrong.  He puts L=
inux at the same level as Mac, roughly 7-8% of the market.  And with Linux,=
 you have to remember to double the actual count, since most of those devic=
es are running Windows AND Linux - putting Linux closer to 14%.

And this is with Microsoft spending nearly $12 billion is legal costs, sett=
lements, and publicity, as well as controlling the content and placement of=
 nearly $40 billion in advertising that uses Microsoft trademarks.  Microso=
ft hasn't actually officially stated that they can't mention Linux and Wind=
ows in the same ad, or product description on the retail shelf display card=
 - but since Microsoft has to review and give written approval - and all co=
ntent that mentions Linux goes to a lawyer who plays golf and plays video g=
ames all day 5 days a week, there is almost no chance that you will get an =
approval before your window of opportunity closes.

And Microsoft has gone so far as to tell companies like Target that they ha=
d to lock up the boxed ASUS EEE 4G NetBooks that ran Linux, and only the ma=
nager could have the key, and the customer was not allowed to power up the =
device in the store.  If you wanted to buy an ASUS EEE 4G PC, or an Acer As=
pire that ran Linux, you might have to wait 3-4 hours to get the right mana=
ger to get the right key and pull out the sealed box - and you had to pay f=
or it and leave the store before you could actually see what you had bought=
..  I tried to buy one at Target, but gave up after 2 hours.

> Here is the current desktop OS market share distribution, by
> StatCounter:"

Every month, some WcinTroll, usually DFS, pulls up the StatCounter survey a=
s "proof" that Linux has this rediculously small market share.  According t=
o this survey, there would only be 2 million Linux users world-wide.  That'=
s fewer than all of the Registered users for Red Hat Enterprise Linux who h=
ave paid $150 per copy.

Perhaps StatMarket has based their survey on how many PCs are sold with Lin=
ux preinstalled - by the ORIGINAL manufacturer.

0
Rex
3/22/2011 2:44:18 AM
Reply: