CPU magazine Dream PCs 2010: it's a Windows, Windows, Windows, Windows world

Oct. 2010 issue.

16 systems worth a collective $98000 were delivered by 11 vendors.

They fell into 3 price tiers:
$0 to $3500
$3501 to $7000
$7001 and up

As expected, all 16 systems came with Windows 7.

Real power users don't cripple their beautiful, screamin', quad-GPU
hardware and sublime computing experience with Linux slop.

Can you imagine booting up such awesome hardware, and the first thing
you see is a screen full of "verbose" Linux messages, which finally
hangs and tells you:

(EE) no devices detected
Fatal server error: no screens found
giving up
xinit: no such file or directory (errno2)
xinit: no such process (errno3)

0
DFS

On Sep 20, 4:45=A0pm, DFS <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote:
> Oct. 2010 issue.
>
> 16 systems worth a collective $98000 were delivered by 11 vendors.
>
> They fell into 3 price tiers:
> $0 to $3500
> $3501 to $7000
> $7001 and up
>
> As expected, all 16 systems came with Windows 7.
>
> Real power users don't cripple their beautiful, screamin', quad-GPU
> hardware and sublime computing experience with Linux slop.
>
> Can you imagine booting up such awesome hardware, and the first thing
> you see is a screen full of "verbose" Linux messages, which finally
> hangs and tells you:
>
> (EE) no devices detected
> Fatal server error: no screens found
> giving up
> xinit: no such file or directory (errno2)
> xinit: no such process (errno3)

Sweet.  I'd like to see that issue--maybe they'll have it here in
Greece, translated into Greek but I can make do.

$98k/16 =3D $6.1k avg, which means on average these are nice, high end
machines.

And yeah, you don't ruin good hardware with slopware like Linux,
agreed.

RL
0
RayLopez99
9/20/2010 1:49:23 PM
On 9/20/2010 9:49 AM, RayLopez99 wrote:
> On Sep 20, 4:45 pm, DFS<nospam@dfs_.com>  wrote:
>> Oct. 2010 issue.
>>
>> 16 systems worth a collective $98000 were delivered by 11 vendors.
>>
>> They fell into 3 price tiers:
>> $0 to $3500
>> $3501 to $7000
>> $7001 and up
>>
>> As expected, all 16 systems came with Windows 7.
>>
>> Real power users don't cripple their beautiful, screamin', quad-GPU
>> hardware and sublime computing experience with Linux slop.
>>
>> Can you imagine booting up such awesome hardware, and the first thing
>> you see is a screen full of "verbose" Linux messages, which finally
>> hangs and tells you:
>>
>> (EE) no devices detected
>> Fatal server error: no screens found
>> giving up
>> xinit: no such file or directory (errno2)
>> xinit: no such process (errno3)
>
> Sweet.  I'd like to see that issue--maybe they'll have it here in
> Greece, translated into Greek but I can make do.

Page 50 at
http://www.computerpoweruser.com/Images/SmartComputing/DigitalIssues/CPU_1010/pageflip.html

It's a good mag, except for one thing: their benchmark results are
always displayed in tables with raw results, which makes it hard to spot
high performers.  See page 74.

> $98k/16 = $6.1k avg, which means on average these are nice, high end
> machines.
>
> And yeah, you don't ruin good hardware with slopware like Linux,
> agreed.
>
> RL

0
DFS
9/20/2010 1:57:43 PM
On 2010-09-20, DFS <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote:
> Oct. 2010 issue.
>
> 16 systems worth a collective $98000 were delivered by 11 vendors.
>
> They fell into 3 price tiers:
> $0 to $3500
> $3501 to $7000
> $7001 and up
>
> As expected, all 16 systems came with Windows 7.
>
> Real power users don't cripple their beautiful, screamin', quad-GPU
> hardware and sublime computing experience with Linux slop.
>
> Can you imagine booting up such awesome hardware, and the first thing
> you see is a screen full of "verbose" Linux messages, which finally
> hangs and tells you:
>
> (EE) no devices detected
> Fatal server error: no screens found
> giving up
> xinit: no such file or directory (errno2)
> xinit: no such process (errno3)

Except that I run hardware like that with Linux for
GPU-based computing all the time. I don't see any of those
messages at bootup, why would I? I know how to operate my
computer, numbnuts.

Drop and give me 20, son.

If Linux had a world-dominating monopoly and bullied
hardware vendors into installing its OS, you'd see much
different numbers in your "CPU Magazine".

0
Phys
9/20/2010 6:27:13 PM
"Phys Ed" <physed@invalid.here> schreef in bericht
> On 2010-09-20, DFS <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote:
>> Oct. 2010 issue.
>>
>> 16 systems worth a collective $98000 were delivered by 11 vendors.
>>
>> They fell into 3 price tiers:
>> $0 to $3500
>> $3501 to $7000
>> $7001 and up
>>
>> As expected, all 16 systems came with Windows 7.
>>
>> Real power users don't cripple their beautiful, screamin', quad-GPU
>> hardware and sublime computing experience with Linux slop.
>>
>> Can you imagine booting up such awesome hardware, and the first thing
>> you see is a screen full of "verbose" Linux messages, which finally
>> hangs and tells you:
>>
>> (EE) no devices detected
>> Fatal server error: no screens found
>> giving up
>> xinit: no such file or directory (errno2)
>> xinit: no such process (errno3)
>>

> Except that I run hardware like that with Linux for
> GPU-based computing all the time. I don't see any of those
> messages at bootup, why would I? I know how to operate my
> computer, numbnuts.
>
> Drop and give me 20, son.
>
> If Linux had a world-dominating monopoly and bullied
> hardware vendors into installing its OS, you'd see much
> different numbers in your "CPU Magazine".

Steve, don't give me that "Linux had a world-dominating monopoly" shit, it's
free remember, 500++ distro's, what more do you want?
Ooops.......
http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8

0
clogwog (1758)
9/20/2010 8:25:52 PM
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 09:45:40 -0400, DFS <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote:

>Oct. 2010 issue.
>
>16 systems worth a collective $98000 were delivered by 11 vendors.
>
>They fell into 3 price tiers:
>$0 to $3500
>$3501 to $7000
>$7001 and up
>
>As expected, all 16 systems came with Windows 7.
>
>Real power users don't cripple their beautiful, screamin', quad-GPU
>hardware and sublime computing experience with Linux slop.
>
>Can you imagine booting up such awesome hardware, and the first thing
>you see is a screen full of "verbose" Linux messages, which finally
>hangs and tells you:
>
>(EE) no devices detected
>Fatal server error: no screens found
>giving up
>xinit: no such file or directory (errno2)
>xinit: no such process (errno3)

Perfect timing..
I'm building a new i7 machine for my DAW work.
--
Moshe Goldfarb
Linux...Disappointing users for 19 years.
On 9/20/2010 5:30 PM, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 09:45:40 -0400, DFS<nospam@dfs_.com>  wrote:
>
>> Oct. 2010 issue.
>>
>> 16 systems worth a collective $98000 were delivered by 11 vendors.
>>
>> They fell into 3 price tiers:
>> $0 to $3500
>> $3501 to $7000
>> $7001 and up
>>
>> As expected, all 16 systems came with Windows 7.
>>
>> Real power users don't cripple their beautiful, screamin', quad-GPU
>> hardware and sublime computing experience with Linux slop.
>>
>> Can you imagine booting up such awesome hardware, and the first thing
>> you see is a screen full of "verbose" Linux messages, which finally
>> hangs and tells you:
>>
>> (EE) no devices detected
>> Fatal server error: no screens found
>> giving up
>> xinit: no such file or directory (errno2)
>> xinit: no such process (errno3)
>

> Perfect timing..
> I'm building a new i7 machine for my DAW work.

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/Images/SmartComputing/DigitalIssues/CPU_1010/pageflip.html

Some of these are real beastly systems.

0
nospam11 (18349)
9/21/2010 12:30:44 AM
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 20:30:44 -0400, DFS <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote:

>On 9/20/2010 5:30 PM, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
>> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 09:45:40 -0400, DFS<nospam@dfs_.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Oct. 2010 issue.
>>>
>>> 16 systems worth a collective $98000 were delivered by 11 vendors.
>>>
>>> They fell into 3 price tiers:
>>> $0 to $3500
>>> $3501 to $7000
>>> $7001 and up
>>>
>>> As expected, all 16 systems came with Windows 7.
>>>
>>> Real power users don't cripple their beautiful, screamin', quad-GPU
>>> hardware and sublime computing experience with Linux slop.
>>>
>>> Can you imagine booting up such awesome hardware, and the first thing
>>> you see is a screen full of "verbose" Linux messages, which finally
>>> hangs and tells you:
>>>
>>> (EE) no devices detected
>>> Fatal server error: no screens found
>>> giving up
>>> xinit: no such file or directory (errno2)
>>> xinit: no such process (errno3)
>>

>> Perfect timing..
>> I'm building a new i7 machine for my DAW work.
>

>http://www.computerpoweruser.com/Images/SmartComputing/DigitalIssues/CPU_1010/pageflip.html
>

>Some of these are real beastly systems.

You can say that again!!!!!!

I'm looking at the i7 950 with a Gigabyte board (a must have for a TI
chipset firewire) and 12 G memory.

Already have 8 1.0 /1.5 TB drives and a basic Nvidia Quadro card.

Got to up the cooler and the power supply though.
--
On Sep 20, 9:45=A0am, DFS <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote:
> Oct. 2010 issue.

> 16 systems worth a collective $98000 were delivered by 11 vendors.

> They fell into 3 price tiers:
> $0 to $3500

That's a pretty wide range.

> $3501 to $7000

Was this for servers?

> $7001 and up

How many people are going to pay over $7001 for a machine to do what -
play video games?

> As expected, all 16 systems came with Windows 7.

How many of the ads in the magazine featured the Microsoft logo or
trademark in some form?

What percentage?

How many ads total?

How many of those ads also featured the trademarks of Linux or any
Linux distributor?

> Real power users don't cripple their beautiful, screamin', quad-GPU
> hardware and sublime computing experience with Linux slop.

A fool and his money are soon parted. ;-)

> Can you imagine booting up such awesome hardware, and the first thing
> you see is a screen full of "verbose" Linux messages,

That's one of the boot up options.  The one preferred by most
experienced Linux users - who want to know what's going on and that
everything is working fine.  I've booted up some Live-CD versions that
didn't display anything but logo and a "cylon bar", like Windows.

> which finally hangs and tells you:

Obviously Linux hostile hardware.

> (EE) no devices detected
> Fatal server error: no screens found
> giving up
> xinit: no such file or directory (errno2)
> xinit: no such process (errno3)

If the hardware failed that many checks - it would never sell in the
corporate markets.

0
rex.ballard (3732)
9/21/2010 1:17:11 AM
On Sep 20, 9:45=A0am, DFS <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote:
> Oct. 2010 issue.

> 16 systems worth a collective $98000 were delivered by 11 vendors.

Do you have a link to the on-line version of the article?

0
Rex
9/21/2010 2:17:38 AM
Verily I say unto thee, that Rex Ballard spake thusly:
> On Sep 20, 9:45 am, DFS <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote:
>> Oct. 2010 issue.
>
>> 16 systems worth a collective $98000 were delivered by 11 vendors.
>
> Do you have a link to the on-line version of the article?

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/articles/archive/c1010/06c10/06c10.pdf

Highlights include a machine called the "Digital Storm Black OPS
Assassin Edition" (LOL), at a "mere" $3,226, and $17,000 toy called the
"Origin Big O", with only a single-socket; six core CPU, 8TB on a rather
risky RAID0, and 3 too many graphics cards.

For one quarter of that price, he could have had a dual-socket, 16-core
Opteron 6100 system, with double the storage, on a much safer RAID6,
using much faster SAS drives, and a graphics card good enough to play
any game on the market, including new titles like "Amnesia: The Dark
Descent", which is also available for Linux. And it'd not only cost
less, but be a much better general purpose machine too, faster with
multi-threaded applications, use less energy, make less noise, and
wouldn't make him look like a total prat.

And he'd still have change left over to buy a games console.

And a new car.

And a month's worth of private psychotherapy.

But my main question is, where are the mythical customers who are going
to waste money on this crap during a recession?

--
K.
http://slated.org

..----
| You can't make an omelet without building some bridges
| ... but don't count your bridges until they've hatched
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.31.5
 05:27:48 up 16 days, 12:46,  1 user,  load average: 0.04, 0.06, 0.08
0
Homer
9/21/2010 4:28:08 AM
On 9/21/2010 12:28 AM, Homer wrote:
> Verily I say unto thee, that Rex Ballard spake thusly:
>> On Sep 20, 9:45 am, DFS<nospam@dfs_.com>  wrote:
>>> Oct. 2010 issue.
>>
>>> 16 systems worth a collective $98000 were delivered by 11 vendors.
>>
>> Do you have a link to the on-line version of the article?
>
> http://www.computerpoweruser.com/articles/archive/c1010/06c10/06c10.pdf
>
> Highlights include a machine called the "Digital Storm Black OPS
> Assassin Edition" (LOL), at a "mere" $3,226, and $17,000 toy called the
> "Origin Big O", with only a single-socket; six core CPU, 8TB on a rather
> risky RAID0, and 3 too many graphics cards.
>
> For one quarter of that price, he could have had a dual-socket, 16-core
> Opteron 6100 system, with double the storage, on a much safer RAID6,
> using much faster SAS drives, and a graphics card good enough to play
> any game on the market, including new titles like "Amnesia: The Dark
> Descent", which is also available for Linux. And it'd not only cost
> less, but be a much better general purpose machine too, faster with
> multi-threaded applications, use less energy, make less noise, and
> wouldn't make him look like a total prat.
>
> And he'd still have change left over to buy a games console.
>
> And a new car.

Only a car a Linux "advocate" would be proud of.

Like Linosuck and his Toyota Yaris.  I bet all the heads turn when he
wheels that beast into the parking lot each morning.

> And a month's worth of private psychotherapy.

You, Spamowitz and Stallman could get a group thing going.  I'll save
you the trouble: you have Mommy issues.

> But my main question is, where are the mythical customers who are going
> to waste money on this crap during a recession?

Not everyone is broke like Linux users, [H]ypocrite.  You big Linux
spenders donated a mammoth $575 to PCLinuxOS during July 2010.

0
DFS
9/21/2010 4:57:14 AM
On 9/20/2010 10:17 PM, Rex Ballard wrote:
> On Sep 20, 9:45 am, DFS<nospam@dfs_.com>  wrote:
>> Oct. 2010 issue.
>
>> 16 systems worth a collective $98000 were delivered by 11 vendors.
>
> Do you have a link to the on-line version of the article?

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/Images/SmartComputing/DigitalIssues/CPU_1010/pageflip.html

0
DFS
9/21/2010 5:05:54 AM
DFS posted this message in ROT13 encoding:

> <snipped>

Keep it in your pants, and stop droolng.

--
gurmlish, n.:
	The red warning flag at the top of a club sandwich which
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 00:57:14 -0400, DFS <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote:

>On 9/21/2010 12:28 AM, Homer wrote:
>> Verily I say unto thee, that Rex Ballard spake thusly:

>>> Do you have a link to the on-line version of the article?
>>
>> http://www.computerpoweruser.com/articles/archive/c1010/06c10/06c10.pdf
>>
>> Highlights include a machine called the "Digital Storm Black OPS
>> Assassin Edition" (LOL), at a "mere" $3,226, and $17,000 toy called the
>> "Origin Big O", with only a single-socket; six core CPU, 8TB on a rather
>> risky RAID0, and 3 too many graphics cards.
>>
>> For one quarter of that price, he could have had a dual-socket, 16-core
>> Opteron 6100 system, with double the storage, on a much safer RAID6,
>> using much faster SAS drives, and a graphics card good enough to play
>> any game on the market, including new titles like "Amnesia: The Dark
>> Descent", which is also available for Linux. And it'd not only cost
>> less, but be a much better general purpose machine too, faster with
>> multi-threaded applications, use less energy, make less noise, and
>> wouldn't make him look like a total prat.
>>
>> And he'd still have change left over to buy a games console.
>>
>> And a new car.
>
>Only a car a Linux "advocate" would be proud of.
>
>Like Linosuck and his Toyota Yaris.  I bet all the heads turn when he
>wheels that beast into the parking lot each morning.

The Yaris is the only car that Prius owners can laugh at.
I laugh every time I see some poor fool driving one.

>> And a month's worth of private psychotherapy.
>
>You, Spamowitz and Stallman could get a group thing going.  I'll save
>you the trouble: you have Mommy issues.

Yep.

>> But my main question is, where are the mythical customers who are going
>> to waste money on this crap during a recession?
>
>Not everyone is broke like Linux users, [H]ypocrite.  You big Linux
>spenders donated a mammoth $575 to PCLinuxOS during July 2010.

Building a business model selling Linux or depending upon the Linux
community for donations, is a sure fire road to failure.

Except for the leaders of the community of course.
They are getting rich off the stupidity of the Linux community.

That list Clogwog posts is quite revealing.
--
Moshe Goldfarb
Linux...Disappointing users for 19 years.
Linux::It's free when your time has no value.
See Liarmutt in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SazBzvQ0ZAM
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 06:47:51 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom
<ahlstrom@xzoozy.com> wrote:

>DFS posted this message in ROT13 encoding:
>
>> <snipped>
>
>Keep it in your pants, and stop droolng.

Especially around you Liarmutt.
You admitted to wiping men's pee pees.
--
Moshe Goldfarb
Linux...Disappointing users for 19 years.
Linux::It's free when your time has no value.
See Liarmutt in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SazBzvQ0ZAM
0
Moshe
9/21/2010 3:19:57 PM
Moshe Goldfarb <moshe_golfarb@yahoo.com> writes:

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 06:47:51 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom
> <ahlstrom@xzoozy.com> wrote:
>
>>DFS posted this message in ROT13 encoding:
>>
>>> <snipped>
>>
>>Keep it in your pants, and stop droolng.
>
> Especially around you Liarmutt.
> You admitted to wiping men's pee pees.

No. He said he was not "worthy" to wipe mens pee-pees.
0
Hadron
9/21/2010 3:21:36 PM
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:21:36 +0200, Hadron<hadronquark@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Moshe Goldfarb <moshe_golfarb@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 06:47:51 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom
>> <ahlstrom@xzoozy.com> wrote:
>>
>>>DFS posted this message in ROT13 encoding:

>>>Keep it in your pants, and stop droolng.
>>
>> Especially around you Liarmutt.
>> You admitted to wiping men's pee pees.
>
>No. He said he was not "worthy" to wipe mens pee-pees.

Ahh.
Correction noted!

Weird thing for a guy to say though :)
--
Moshe Goldfarb
Linux...Disappointing users for 19 years.
Linux::It's free when your time has no value.
See Liarmutt in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SazBzvQ0ZAM
Moshe Goldfarb <moshe_golfarb@yahoo.com> writes:

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:21:36 +0200, Hadron<hadronquark@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Moshe Goldfarb <moshe_golfarb@yahoo.com> writes:

>>> Especially around you Liarmutt.
>>> You admitted to wiping men's pee pees.
>>
>>No. He said he was not "worthy" to wipe mens pee-pees.
>
> Ahh.
> Correction noted!
>
> Weird thing for a guy to say though :)

That's what I thought.