Databases Don't Work With OSes; OSes Don't Work With Databases -- Windos 2003 "You've Made A Mess" Say Irate Users !?!!

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=windows+2003+server+problem&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as_minm=2&as_miny=2004&as_maxd=7&as_maxm=6&as_maxy=2004&selm=ObEBOsECEHA.684%40tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl&rnum=1

Search Result 1
From: Dave Verwer (d.verwer@link-hrsystems.com)
Subject: Problem with SQL Server & MSDTC on Windows 2003 (dtctester.exe
related)
Original Format
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.server,
microsoft.public.windows.server.general
Date: 2004-03-12 08:02:14 PST

Hi all

I am not sure if this is a Windows 2003 server problem or a SQL Server
problem so I am cross posting to both groups.

I have a new Dell server which is running Windows 2003 and is going to be a
development database server. I have SQL Server 2000 installed on it and i
can connect using the SQL client tools manipulate data on that server
without any problems.

The problem comes when I try and connect using an ODBC connection from
within an MTS/COM+ component. I get the following error:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '8004d00a'
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Distributed transaction error

While searching for a solution to this problem, I came across a Microsoft
utility (available from
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q293799) which has
helped me narrow this problem down to it not being my COM+ component because
when I try and run this tool I get the following output:

Executed: dtctester
DSN:  <My DSN Name>
User Name: sa
Password: <My sa Password>
tablename= #dtc32294
Creating Temp Table for Testing: #dtc32294
Warning: No Columns in Result Set From Executing: 'create table #dtc32294
(ival int)'
Initializing DTC
Beginning DTC Transaction
Enlisting Connection in Transaction
Error:
SQLSTATE=25S12,Native error=-2147168219,msg='[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server
Driver]Distributed transaction error'
Error: SQLSTATE=24000,Native error=0,msg=[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server
Driver]Invalid cur
sor state
Typical Errors in DTC Output When
a.  Firewall Has Ports Closed
-OR-
b.  Bad WINS/DNS entries
-OR-
c.  Misconfigured network
-OR-
d.  Misconfigured SQL Server machine that has multiple netcards.
Aborting DTC Transaction
Releasing DTC Interface Pointers
Successfully Released pTransaction Pointer.

My feeling is that it is specific to Windows 2003 because I can perform
exactly the same test using dtctester.exe to our old SQL server from the
same client and using the same ODBC DSN (with the server name changed of
course) and everything works without problems.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give,

0
joe5991 (37)

Linux crapware victim: Mepis8 'collapsed'... webcams don't work on Ubuntu 12.04..."Don't tell me to build a kernel..."
"I need my webcam to work with flash on web pages so that I can speak to family members overseas (Kopete and suchlike). I used mepis8 for years and everything was perfect, my webcams (three different makes), printers and anything else I cared to plug in worked from the off. lovely!! Then mepis8 collapsed suddenly and nothing worked. I tried the newer mepis variants and every other linux distro that I came across to solve the problem, but nothing works. I'm now using ubuntu 12.04, because it's not windows I suppose, but it's far from what I need. Can anybody on here please tell me how to make any one of my webcams work on Ubuntu 12.04 with flash? Don't tell me it's the manufacturer's fault, because they worked on Mepis8. Don't tell me to build a kernel and add some Su (or do or sudo) and add a line et al because it's all gibberish to me. Keep it simple please. Complicated is fine as long as it's step by step or copy and paste. Unfortunately, after about 12 years on linux, I will be driven back to windows if I don't get some help. The Mepis forums used to be excellent for advice because there weren't any bigheads showing off their superior knowledge of linux on it. The Ubuntu forums seem to be the opposite, more than 1000 posts (in two threads) on why they prefer ubuntu to xp, but none of them can help me get my webcam working!!!! So this is the challenge, before ...

I don't work for IBM and I don't make promises I can't deliver on
I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they have on the Internet now. I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. Robert. On 8/12/2011 11:24 PM, Robert Myers wrote: > I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they > have on the Internet now. > > I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. > > Robert. I don't work for IBM (anymore) either. If you are talking about the death of Blue Waters, I don't believe they said they couldn't deliver. They said they chose not to because they would lose a bunch of money on the project since it turned out to cost a lot more than the initial guess. And I guess Ben chose not to print some more to pay for it. On Aug 24, 11:17=A0pm, Del Cecchi <delcec...@gmail.com> wrote: > On 8/12/2011 11:24 PM, Robert Myers wrote: > > > I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they > > have on the Internet now. > > > I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. > > > Robert. > > I don't work for IBM (anymore) either. =A0If you are talking about the > death of Blue Waters, I don't believe they said they couldn't deliver. > They said they chose not to because they would lose a bunch of money on > the project since it turned out to cost a lot more than the initial guess= .. > > And I guess Ben chose not to print some mor...

I sell various items for Amiga on EBAY, if you don't agree don't read and don't break my balls, understand mr. user?
See on this link: http://search.ebay.it/_W0QQsassZmousemikiQQhtZ-1 P.s. not all items are for Amiga, simple don't see others! ...

[News] Doctor's Office Moves to Linux, Users Don't Want to "Go Back"
LTSP saves old hardware in Brazilian doctor's office ,----[ Quote ] | Thank to the Linux Terminal Server Project (LTSP), hardware that's too old | for new versions of Windows runs Linux applications just fine over a network | from a server. | | [...] | | I didn't even have to do any training. The users like Linux and don't want to | go back. `---- http://www.linux.com/feature/120292 Related: GPs threaten to snub NHS database ,----[ Quote ] | The electronic warehouse, dubbed Spine, is part of the NHS's £12bn | IT upgrade, which aims to link up 30,000 GPs t...

[OT] Nit: please don't user "it's" unless you can substitute "it is" without changing your inteded meaning.
Typos happen to all of us, but in case you hadn't realized what "it's" is a contraction for ("it is"), now you do, and you can save yourself further embarrassment (assuming you care ;-). If your friends won't tell you, who will ;-) Write the contraction "it's" only when you want its meaning to be "it is," otherwise it's wrong ;-) OTOH, how does one punctuate the posessive of a word per se? E.g., the first letter of "it" is "i", but can one write that as "it"'s first letter is "i," or it...

AOL 9.0 don't do it just don't . Don't even think of it.
I had 8.0, and it ran fine. I downloaded 9.0 and that was the end of my computer never having a problem. 3 years and no problems. 1 week with AOL 9.0 and I've had 27 error messages , sign offs and other problems. AOL was no help. They can't even admit it has a problem. So I had to REFORMAT MY HARD DRIVE AND INSTALL ALL MY PROGRAMS AND ALL MY SAVED FILES. Needless to say I no longer have AOL at all. Reformat and get rid of it. ...

"Select" & "Order By" OK- ''WHERE'' Does'nt Work !
Before i post actual code, as i need a speedyish reply. Can i first ask if anyone knows off the top of their head, if there is a likely obvious cause to the following problem. For the moment i've reduced my form request to a simple text string entry, instead of my desired optional parameters. As i have been stuck with a single unfathomable glitch for over a year. Basically, if i enter queries such as ; "select * from table" "select * from table order by artist", it works perfectly. However if i introduce the 'where' option, as in "select * from table where artist like whatever". It comes back with "could not execute query". This happens even if i append "order by" to it. I'll post all the various codes if anyone can please help. On 31-Oct-2003, i.justice@onmail.co.uk (ian justice) wrote: > Before i post actual code, as i need a speedyish reply. > Can i first ask if anyone knows off the top of their head, if there is > a likely obvious cause to the following problem. > For the moment i've reduced my form request to a simple text string > entry, instead of my desired optional parameters. As i have been stuck > with a single unfathomable glitch for over a year. > Basically, if i enter queries such as ; > "select * from table" "select * from table order by artist", > it works perfectly. However if i introduce the 'where' option, as in > "select *...

Ubuntu Lurid crapware: "sound stopped working..video unstable...can't read USB sticks...battery meter inaccurate...shutdown doesn't work"
"Sound - worked then stopped working (just one boot up the controls were gone and no sound came from anywhere), now fixed with the removal of pulse (this is a standard issue with ubuntu since 8.04). still have an issue with going to system->prefs->sound, its just hangs waiting for sound system. Video - Nvidia card but unstable video and no openGL until attention given to correct driver - the standard install looked pretty grim. USB sticks cannot read, get permission denied errors. Battery meter seems wildly inaccurate, claims 7 hours then dies in 2. Shutdown seems to only log me out to the GDM login screen, then i must shutdown from a command line to get it to happen... is this a permission thing? Hardware is a Dell studio XPS laptop, its quite high spec and being Dell pretty standard components, it ran 9.04 fine and I have gone through the compatibility check. Overall impression of this upgrade, not great. I don't honestly think i can rely on this laptop for my work which is a bad sign as i need to work more than i need to tinker getting ubuntu working. I appreciate the efforts of the various developers and the ubuntu team who put this together, but sound and video seem to be issues in every release, yet cloud computing is more important to get into the next LTS. Yes that is a selfish view, but how long do we have to live with 27 competing sound systems and a mexican stale mate on binary video drivers?" ...

"You don't have exclusive access to your database at this time" (Access 2003)
Hi, All of a sudden one of our clients can't use her application. She gets "You don't have exclusive access to your database at this time" when trying to open our application. The only thing she did today, according to her, was to download and install an Avery label wizard. She has rebooted and there are no other versions of Access running. The shortcut that launches the application does point to a version of Access (2003) because the installation wizard found an existing version on her PC. I believe it points to Office 11. Any ideas? -paulw Nevermind. She uninstalled the Avery Label Wizard and the problem went away! -paulw ...

"PC ANSI" fonts don't work in OS X
Hey all, I regularly telnet into old-time PC BBSes... These BBSes use "ANSI" color and graphics. I know this isn't the PROPER terminology, but it's what people called it during the old days of BBSing. Anyway, the special characters were part of the extended PC character set. For instance, what appears as "�" (capital A with an umlaut) on the Mac would actually be a straight horizontal line on the PC. What looks like "�" (capital I with forward-accent) on the Mac appeared as a double horizontal line on the PC. There were corner characters, dither characte...

EB/EBX: "We aren't hot and don't have nice hooters!"
Hey all, The other EB thread made me remember a conversation I once had with the guys behind the counter at my local EB. One day, while shopping for new games, my conversation with the two EB store reps turned to advancement opportunities within the company. The two scruffy looking twenty-something guys (both college educated) looked at me as I were insane. "We aren't hot and don't have nice hooters!" one said. "Yeah, without that no chance." said the other. They were dead serious. Given the small probablity a woman being hot with nice hooters and the even smalle...

The Digital Divide: Why the "Don't-Want-Tos" Won't Compute
Lessons from a New Zealand ICT Project by Barbara Crump and Andrea McIlroy Abstract Why, when computing is available in a socially situated, convenient environment, at no cost, do people choose not to compute? This paper describes a community-based project that wired four computing centres (hubs) in a lower socio-economic urban area in Wellington, New Zealand's capital city. One of the hubs is situated in a city council high-rise apartment block and after six months of operation it was apparent that many of the residents were not using the free computing facilities. A survey was designed and administered to the non-users in this apartment block. Responses centered on the themes of access, awareness and factors that would encourage residents to use the hub, but the majority stated they were "not interested." Analysis explores the impact of the social context within which the hub is situated and suggests reasons why some people choose not to compute. Contents Introduction Background Non-user categories Reasons for non-use The Smart Newtown research project Method and survey description Survey findings Analysis and conclusion http://firstmonday.org/issues/issue8_12/crump/index.html [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: This sounds a lot like my cousin-in-law (husband of cousin.) His wife, his son and their daughter all use computers. Howard, a United Methodist minister keeps saying he is not interested. Not afraid of failu...

don't like, so don't waste your time thinking and buy them. You know, if you don't like one thing, it means nothing for you.</p>

Linux: "half the s**t doesn't work."
# 78 jumbojs said, on December 1st, 2007 at 9:14 pm "Here here! I'm tired of hearing all these great things about Linux and then trying to install it and half the s**t doesn't work. What's the point if I have to spend hours trying to configure files that should work automatically. To be fair to Fedora however, it's the only distribution so far that has picked up my wireless adapter right away without any configuration. The other distro's would find it but it wouldn't work." http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453 DFS had de volgende lumineuze gedachte ...

Karmic Krapware: "no sound...no video... lost the GUI... USB stick won't work...won't shutdown properly"
"All upgraded OK, but then noticed no sound, and no video. After following some online advice with hardware drivers tried to update Nvidia, and I then lost the GUI. Can get back by editing out Nvidia for Vesa in xorg.conf, but have to each time I start, and graphics too low to run much. Was going to back a few things up and re-install Jaunty, and now find USB memory stick will not work. Tried downloading and installing latest Nvidia driver, but got lots of error messages regarding kernels and headers that I can't resolve. Now will not even shutdown properly." #764 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305924&highlight=Karmic+freeze&page=77 Linux is a never-ending litany of woes. You almost have to feel sorry for the hobby-slopware victims. Then again, it's just their playtime toy tinkering that's being ruined. "DFS" <nospam@dfs_.com> writes: > "All upgraded OK, but then noticed no sound, and no video. After > following So after the OK upgrade he "then" noticed no sound or video. Wow. What an astute guy! On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 15:07:12 +0100, Hadron wrote: > "DFS" <nospam@dfs_.com> writes: > >> "All upgraded OK, but then noticed no sound, and no video. After >> following > > So after the OK upgrade he "then" noticed no sound or video. > > Wow. > > What an astute guy! Maybe he is deaf and blind? They seem to be...

"Web Resources" don't work in Matlab
Hi. I am using Matlab Version 7.0.4.365 (R14) Service Pack 2. Whenever I try to select any of the web resources from the Help menu, nothing happens. Literally nothing. No browser window, no error message, no hint that the program has acknowledged my command in any way, except that the menu closes like it would with any other command. Also, in the Matlab help file, I picked the "Support and Web Services" category in the Help Navigator. I see some links, but when I try to click on them, I hear a "ding" and nothing else happens. How can I access these links? I have Windows XP ...

Virtual Hosts don't work with "www"
Hello I have problem with "www", I configured virtual hosts (in this example two host1, host2) It works when I use http://host1.domain.edu, http://host2.domain.edu but with "www" doesn't? At begin I had reverse problem with domain (it works only with "www" ), I resolve this added A record to domain (@ A 1.2.3.4) How resolve problem with virtual hosts? My zone file: ----------------------------------------------- $ORIGIN domain.edu. $TTL 1H @ IN SOA ns1 admin ( 2007010101 8H 4H 4W 1D ) NS ns1 ftp CNAME jupiter www CNAME @ jupiter A 1.2.3.4 @ A 1.2.3.4 ns1 A 1.2.3.4 host1 A 1.2.3.4 host2 A 1.2.3.4 ----------------------------------------------- -- Best regards In article <eraojl$unk$1@sf1.isc.org>, Jarek Buczy?ski <jaro80@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello > > I have problem with "www", I configured virtual hosts (in this example two > host1, host2) > > It works when I use http://host1.domain.edu, http://host2.domain.edu but > with "www" doesn't? > > At begin I had reverse problem with domain (it works only with "www" ), I > resolve this added A record to dom...

Windows as a 'database' server? I /don't/ think so...
This problem occured today. Luckly it was on a test database! Windows is *not* production ready... http://www.sql-server-performance.com/sql_server_performance_audit6.asp Torn_Page_Detection Because data pages in SQL Server (8K) and NT Server or Windows Server (512 bytes) are different sizes, it is possible during power failures, or if you are have disk driver or physical disk problems, for your database to become corrupted. Here's why. Every time the operating system writes an 8K SQL Server data page to disk, it must break up the data into multiple 512 byte pages. After the f...

Ubuntu Lurid crapware: "random freezes...get new kernel...now wireless won't work...drivers won't activate"
"Darnit. I've been having the same problems with ubuntu just not responding. I tried updating to the latest kernel, did it but now my wireless won't work. And the drivers won't active. I'm wondering if this problem is happening while I'm running transmission.... If not I hope they release the fix in 10.04.1" #604 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1478787&page=61 Keep hope alive! What you're experiencing is the result of low pay, laziness and apathy, traits common amongst Linux "developers". ...

FAQ 5.33: Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work?
This message is one of several periodic postings to comp.lang.perl.misc intended to make it easier for perl programmers to find answers to common questions. The core of this message represents an excerpt from the documentation provided with Perl. -------------------------------------------------------------------- 5.33: Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work? Whoops! You just put a tab and a formfeed into that filename! Remember that within double quoted strings ("like\this"), the backslash is an escape charact...

FAQ 5.33 Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work?
This message is one of several periodic postings to comp.lang.perl.misc intended to make it easier for perl programmers to find answers to common questions. The core of this message represents an excerpt from the documentation provided with Perl. -------------------------------------------------------------------- 5.33: Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work? Whoops! You just put a tab and a formfeed into that filename! Remember that within double quoted strings ("like\this"), the backslash is an escape charact...

FAQ 5.35 Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work? #9
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq5.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 5.35: Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work? Whoops! You just put a tab and a formfeed into that filename! Remember that within double quoted strings ("like\this"), the backslash is an escape character. The full list of these is in "Quote and Quote-like Operators" in perlop. Unsurprisingly, you don't have a file called "c:(tab)emp(formfeed)oo" or "c:(tab)emp(formfeed)oo.exe" on your legacy DOS filesystem. Either single-quote your strings, or (preferably) use forward slashes. Since all DOS and Windows versions since something like MS-DOS 2.0 or so have treated "/" and "\" the same in a path, you might as well use the one that doesn't clash with Perl--or the POSIX shell, ANSI C and C++, awk, Tcl, Java, or Python, just to mention a few. POSIX paths are more portable, too. -------------------------------------------------------------------- The perlfaq-workers, a group of volunteers, maintain the perlfaq. They are not necessarily ex...

FAQ 5.34 Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work? #6
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq5.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 5.34: Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work? Whoops! You just put a tab and a formfeed into that filename! Remember that within double quoted strings ("like\this"), the backslash is an escape character. The full list of these is in "Quote and Quote-like Operators" in perlop. Unsurprisingly, you don't have a file called "c:(tab)emp(formfeed)oo" or "c:(tab)emp(formfeed)oo.exe" on your legacy DOS filesystem. Either single-quote your strings, or (preferably) use forward slashes. Since all DOS and Windows versions since something like MS-DOS 2.0 or so have treated "/" and "\" the same in a path, you might as well use the one that doesn't clash with Perl--or the POSIX shell, ANSI C and C++, awk, Tcl, Java, or Python, just to mention a few. POSIX paths are more portable, too. -------------------------------------------------------------------- The perlfaq-workers, a group of volunteers, maintain the perlfaq. They are not necessarily ex...

FAQ 5.35 Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work? #4
[...]

FAQ 5.36 Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work? #2
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq5.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 5.36: Why can't I use "C:\temp\foo" in DOS paths? Why doesn't `C:\temp\foo.exe` work? Whoops! You just put a tab and a formfeed into that filename! Remember that within double quoted strings ("like\this"), the backslash is an escape character. The full list of these is in "Quote and Quote-like Operators" in perlop. Unsurprisingly, you don't have a file called "c:(tab)emp(formfeed)oo" or "c:(tab)emp(formfeed)oo.exe" on your legacy DOS filesystem. Either single-quote your strings, or (preferably) use forward slashes. Since all DOS and Windows versions since something like MS-DOS 2.0 or so have treated "/" and "\" the same in a path, you might as well use the one that doesn't clash with Perl--or the POSIX shell, ANSI C and C++, awk, Tcl, Java, or Python, just to mention a few. POSIX paths are more portable, too. -------------------------------------------------------------------- The perlfaq-workers, a group of volunteers, maintain the perlfaq. They are not necessarily ex...

Web resources about - Databases Don't Work With OSes; OSes Don't Work With Databases -- Windos 2003 "You've Made A Mess" Say Irate Users !?!! - comp.os.linux.advocacy