Desktop Linux losing share

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Maybe because it does not work or do anything useful.  Those could be two
factors.

But it is free.

It cannot print because it will jet squirt all of the ink out of your
printer ink tanks on the first page.  It cannot do Microsoft Office.  It
cannot do Adobe or Flash.  It cannot do Youtube or Twitter or anything else
popular.

Linux is just a retarded sort of a web browser but if you click on something
it will not go through.

0
Reply RickyBobby 10/24/2010 10:36:35 PM

See related articles to this posting

On 10/24/2010 07:36 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
<fail snipped>
> But it is free.
<fail snipped>

Right...

by the way... this is how my desktop looked when reading this~
http://uppix.net/0/a/e/f48222fe7ed62d9c425185057e168.jpg

Nothing compared to Windows 7⸮
0
Reply Magno 10/24/2010 10:52:56 PM

"Magno"  wrote in message news:8vpep7-vtq.ln1@news.newsgroup.cl...

On 10/24/2010 07:36 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
<fail snipped>
> But it is free.
<fail snipped>

Right...

by the way... this is how my desktop looked when reading this~
http://uppix.net/0/a/e/f48222fe7ed62d9c425185057e168.jpg

Nothing compared to Windows 7⸮

Windows 7 is not free at all.  You are supposed to pay your tribute to
Microsoft.

But the Linux GNU Open Source Software is free to use and free of security
threats.

So there is a lot to say for Linux Open Source beyond the obvious.

I think that if more people ran Linux is would have a higher percentage
share.

I tried to run Linux about six times but I was not smart enough or not
patient enough about memorizing things.  But that is just me. Other people
than me may get a much better result.

0
Reply RickyBobby 10/24/2010 11:04:00 PM

On 10/24/2010 08:04 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
> I tried to run Linux about six times but I was not smart enough or not
> patient enough about memorizing things. But that is just me. Other
> people than me may get a much better result.

What is the hard part in clicking on buttons or moving a pointer?
Don’t tell me that you tried to do everything through the CLI without
any prior experience?
0
Reply Magno 10/24/2010 11:08:56 PM

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 16:04:00 -0700, RickyBobby wrote:

> "Magno"  wrote in message news:8vpep7-vtq.ln1@news.newsgroup.cl...
>
> On 10/24/2010 07:36 PM, RickyBobby wrote: <fail snipped>
>> But it is free.
> <fail snipped>
>
> Right...
>
> by the way... this is how my desktop looked when reading this~
> http://uppix.net/0/a/e/f48222fe7ed62d9c425185057e168.jpg
>
> Nothing compared to Windows 7⸮
>
> Windows 7 is not free at all.  You are supposed to pay your tribute to
> Microsoft.
>
> But the Linux GNU Open Source Software is free to use and free of
> security threats.
>
> So there is a lot to say for Linux Open Source beyond the obvious.
>
> I think that if more people ran Linux is would have a higher percentage
> share.
>
> I tried to run Linux about six times but I was not smart enough or not
> patient enough about memorizing things.  But that is just me. Other
> people than me may get a much better result.

Yes, those with a room temperature IQ generally fair quite well.
0
Reply ray 10/25/2010 12:59:24 AM

"ray"  wrote in message news:8ik33bFj45U3@mid.individual.net...

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 16:04:00 -0700, RickyBobby wrote:

> "Magno"  wrote in message news:8vpep7-vtq.ln1@news.newsgroup.cl...
>
> On 10/24/2010 07:36 PM, RickyBobby wrote: <fail snipped>
>> But it is free.
> <fail snipped>
>
> Right...
>
> by the way... this is how my desktop looked when reading this~
> http://uppix.net/0/a/e/f48222fe7ed62d9c425185057e168.jpg
>
> Nothing compared to Windows 7⸮
>
> Windows 7 is not free at all.  You are supposed to pay your tribute to
> Microsoft.
>
> But the Linux GNU Open Source Software is free to use and free of
> security threats.
>
> So there is a lot to say for Linux Open Source beyond the obvious.
>
> I think that if more people ran Linux is would have a higher percentage
> share.
>
> I tried to run Linux about six times but I was not smart enough or not
> patient enough about memorizing things.  But that is just me. Other
> people than me may get a much better result.

Yes, those with a room temperature IQ generally fair quite well.

Well, my IQ must be a real low measure.  I tried it lots of times but I
never could get it to do anything entertaining or useful.

Microsoft is the real deal when it comes to personal computer stuff.

0
Reply RickyBobby 10/25/2010 1:11:43 AM

On 10/24/2010 08:04 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
> I tried to run Linux about six times but I was not smart enough or not
> patient enough about memorizing things. But that is just me. Other
> people than me may get a much better result.

What is the hard part in clicking on buttons or moving a pointer?
Don�t tell me that you tried to do everything through the CLI without
any prior experience?
0
Reply Magno 10/25/2010 1:40:13 AM

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 20:08:56 -0300, Magno wrote:

> On 10/24/2010 08:04 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
>> I tried to run Linux about six times but I was not smart enough or not
>> patient enough about memorizing things. But that is just me. Other
>> people than me may get a much better result.
>
> What is the hard part in clicking on buttons or moving a pointer? Don’t
> tell me that you tried to do everything through the CLI without any
> prior experience?

Oh, believe me, "RickyBobby" really *could* be that stupid.

--
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581

> On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 16:04:00 -0700, RickyBobby wrote:

>> I think that if more people ran Linux is would have a higher percentage
>> share.

How long has Little Ricky been a Mensa member?

--
Don't ask me, I only work here.
Aspire One, Peppermint Ice

Sinister Midget III pulled this Usenet face plant:

>> On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 16:04:00 -0700, RickyBobby wrote:
>
>>> I think that if more people ran Linux is would have a higher percentage
>>> share.
>
> How long has Little Ricky been a Mensa member?

Not Mensa.  Menses.

--
Money can't buy love, but it improves your bargaining position.
		-- Christopher Marlowe

On 2010-10-24, RickyBobby <nascar42@cox.net> wrote:
> Maybe because it does not work or do anything useful.  Those could be two
> factors.
>
> But it is free.
>
> It cannot print because it will jet squirt all of the ink out of your

....you could at least bother with some 10 year old FUD rather that
some absurd nonsense that looks like it came from some kindergardner.

[deletia]

--
NO! There are no CODICILES of Fight Club!                           |||
                                                                   / | \

On 2010-10-25, Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstromc@xzoozy.com> claimed:
> Sinister Midget III pulled this Usenet face plant:

>> How long has Little Ricky been a Mensa member?
>
> Not Mensa.  Menses.

That one was as bad as TAB's "In linux you have to /know/ things"
comment.

--
Even a hawk is an eagle among crows.
Aspire One, Peppermint Ice
Friends don't let friends use Windows
0
Reply Sinister 10/25/2010 1:50:50 PM

"Magno"  wrote in message news:to3fp7-svr.ln1@news.newsgroup.cl...

On 10/24/2010 08:04 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
> I tried to run Linux about six times but I was not smart enough or not
> patient enough about memorizing things. But that is just me. Other
> people than me may get a much better result.

What is the hard part in clicking on buttons or moving a pointer?
Don�t tell me that you tried to do everything through the CLI without
any prior experience?

I tried lots of things over the years.  There were tarballs at one point and
RPM at one point and I do not even want to think about how they do things
now.  I have read some good things about this Ubuntu so I may try that on my
backup computer in the dual boot setup.  Maybe the fourteenth time will be a
charm.  Success is built upon a mountain of failures.

0
Reply RickyBobby 10/25/2010 4:29:16 PM

On 10/25/2010 01:29 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
> I tried lots of things over the years. There were tarballs at one point
> and RPM at one point and I do not even want to think about how they do
> things now. I have read some good things about this Ubuntu so I may try
> that on my backup computer in the dual boot setup. Maybe the fourteenth
> time will be a charm. Success is built upon a mountain of failures.

So you never tried PackageKit or YUM? Now I get why you failed.
0
Reply Magno 10/25/2010 4:31:53 PM

"Magno"  wrote in message news:p0ogp7-v16.ln1@news.newsgroup.cl...

On 10/25/2010 01:29 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
> I tried lots of things over the years. There were tarballs at one point
> and RPM at one point and I do not even want to think about how they do
> things now. I have read some good things about this Ubuntu so I may try
> that on my backup computer in the dual boot setup. Maybe the fourteenth
> time will be a charm. Success is built upon a mountain of failures.

So you never tried PackageKit or YUM? Now I get why you failed.

I have never even heard of either of those.  I forget which was the last
distro of Linux I installed.  It was about three or four years ago.  It had
some catchy name and a pleasant blue and white desktop theme but I cannot
recall the name.  But when I get bored a use something called KillDisc and
write the hard drive to zeros once in a while and I lost it.    Now I am
going to try Ubuntu and see what happens.  They have this neato email and
usenet reader called Godzilla or something like that which is really slick.
I do miss that.  The bugaboo last time was that I could not get any wireless
card I owned to work.  I look up the workaround on the Al Gore Internet and
the instructions were like three pages long and involved all of this
terminal and command line interface junk.  Forget that.

0
Reply RickyBobby 10/25/2010 4:48:25 PM

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 13:31:53 -0300, Magno wrote:

> On 10/25/2010 01:29 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
>> I tried lots of things over the years. There were tarballs at one point
>> and RPM at one point and I do not even want to think about how they do
>> things now. I have read some good things about this Ubuntu so I may try
>> that on my backup computer in the dual boot setup. Maybe the fourteenth
>> time will be a charm. Success is built upon a mountain of failures.
>
> So you never tried PackageKit or YUM? Now I get why you failed.

It RickBobby's case, no -- YUM and PackageKit don't come with Windows.

--
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
CentOS 5.5 or VectorLinux Deluxe 6.0
0
Reply RonB 10/25/2010 6:50:09 PM

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 08:07:19 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

> On 2010-10-24, RickyBobby <nascar42@cox.net> wrote:
>> Maybe because it does not work or do anything useful.  Those could be
>> two factors.
>>
>> But it is free.
>>
>> It cannot print because it will jet squirt all of the ink out of your
>
> ...you could at least bother with some 10 year old FUD rather that some
> absurd nonsense that looks like it came from some kindergardner.
>
> [deletia]

Now, now, "RickyBobby" is doing the best he can considering his
"limitations."

--
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
CentOS 5.5 or VectorLinux Deluxe 6.0
0
Reply RonB 10/25/2010 6:51:18 PM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 117225 articles. 8 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Linux Desktop Share is 100% in Linux companies
Linux Desktop Share is 100% in Linux companies ---------------------------------------------- Linux Desktop Share is 100% in Linux companies and micosahft marketing plops are finding it difficult to make a sale inside the Linux companies. This trend is set to continue as Linux expands its user base from its present 50 million Linux Desktop users. The principle reasons seem to be high cost of windummy OSen compared to Linux. A second reason is high cost of developer tools. Linux costs for supported packages like C/C++, Fortan, Cobol, Gambas, SQL Lite, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Apache, PHP, perl, rub...

[News] [Linux] Novell Loses Chief Architect of Linux Desktop
[Robert Love Leaving Novell] ,----[ Quote ] | This marks my 261st blog entry as a Novell employee. It shall also | mark my last. `---- http://rlove.org/log/ Novell's tactful decision to enter a deal with Microsoft... Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused: > [Robert Love Leaving Novell] > > ,----[ Quote ] >| This marks my 261st blog entry as a Novell employee. It shall also >| mark my last. > `---- > > http://rlove.org/log/ > > Novell's tactful decision to enter a deal with Microsoft... It would appear that SuSE will soon be Mi...

Desktop Linux market share exceeds Micoshaft Pista market share!!
Desktop Linux market share exceeds Micoshaft Pista market share!! ----------------------------------------------------------------- http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp Linux market share exceeds Micoshaft flagship OSen Pista. Ubuntu alone has some 20 million desktop seats installed. That would make it around 1% to 2% of all PCs on the globe on just one Linux distro. There are hundreds of Desktop Linux distros. "7" <email_at_www_at_enemygadgets_dot_com@enemygadgets.com> wrote in message news:OZ7pr.366225$mj1.90608@fx25.am4... > Desktop Linux market sha...

Linux Share on the Desktop
Looking at all the data from NetMarketShare I see the following: <http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/LinuxTrendNov2007-Present.png> Yes, Linux's share on the desktop market is still low - but even with the ups and downs it is clear that the overall tend, not just in usage but in *percentage* on the desktop, is going up... even if slowly. I hope to see this trend continue. Excellent to see. -- "Maybe it wouldn't be quite as good, but we would all be okay." - Richard Stallman, speaking about if his ideas were followed ...

[News] Elegant Linux Laptops to Increase 'Desktop Linux' Market Share
Asus Eee PC - breakthrough Linux product faces threat ,----[ Quote ] | The market has spoken and it clearly wants a consumer Linux computer. The | sub-notebook Asus Eee PC has not been able to meet demand and is predicted to | sell up to 5 million units worldwide next year. If that comes true a single | product will have on its own shifted consumer Linux market share upwards a | notch or two. `---- http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15483/1023/ Recent: Asustek Aims 20% of the PC Market in 2010 with Eee PC. Traditional PCs Are Too Powerful, Eee PC – Going Back to Basics, Says Asust...

News story: Microsoft winning market share in mobile devices; Linux losing market share
Do the math: Symbian has 39% share (and falling), MS Mobile has 13% (and rising), which leaves Linux os and others (such as in-house proprietary OSes) with 39%. Seems like Linux is losing market share in the mobile space as well. RL http://www.businessweek.com/technology/software/ Microsoft: Making Mobile Progress Sony Ericsson unveils a line of phones boasting Microsoft's Windows Mobile operating system, a coup for both players. Telecom February 10, 2008, 2:01PM EST Microsoft: Making Mobile Progress Sony Ericsson unveils a line of phones boasting Microsoft's Windows Mobile oper...

File transfer / sharing between embedded linux version 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux)
Hi, I am trying to share / transfer files between embedded linux version 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux). What is the best way to achieve this ? Thanks in advance for your time & help. Regards Ram On Jul 11, 8:44 am, ramson...@gmail.com wrote: > I am trying to share / transfer files between embedded linux version > 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux). What is the best way to > achieve this ? Samba is a set of tools that lets linux be a client and/or server of windows (smb) file sharing. If your linux system has the resources, that would be very transparent once...

File transfer / sharing between embedded linux version 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux)
Hi, I am trying to share / transfer files between embedded linux version 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux). What is the best way to achieve this ? Thanks in advance for your time & help. Regards Ram <ramsonney@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1184161595.496086.263480@z28g2000prd.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I am trying to share / transfer files between embedded linux version > 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux). What is the best way to > achieve this ? > > Thanks in advance for your time & help. Regards > > Ram &g...

Why is Linux desktop share dropping?
Looks like Linux desktop share is dropping again, now below 1% and still going down. http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=9&qpcustom=iOS,Linux&sample=36 Please help me explain this puzzling development. Thanks i On 10/18/2010 08:13 PM, Ignoramus655 wrote: > Looks like Linux desktop share is dropping again, now below 1% and > still going down. > > http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=9&qpcustom=iOS,Linux&sample=36 > > Please help me explain this puzzling development. > > Thanks > ...