Desktop Linux losing share

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Maybe because it does not work or do anything useful.  Those could be two
factors.

But it is free.

It cannot print because it will jet squirt all of the ink out of your
printer ink tanks on the first page.  It cannot do Microsoft Office.  It
cannot do Adobe or Flash.  It cannot do Youtube or Twitter or anything else
popular.

Linux is just a retarded sort of a web browser but if you click on something
it will not go through.

0
Reply RickyBobby 10/24/2010 10:36:35 PM

See related articles to this posting

On 10/24/2010 07:36 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
<fail snipped>
> But it is free.
<fail snipped>

Right...

by the way... this is how my desktop looked when reading this~
http://uppix.net/0/a/e/f48222fe7ed62d9c425185057e168.jpg

Nothing compared to Windows 7⸮
0
Reply Magno 10/24/2010 10:52:56 PM

"Magno"  wrote in message news:8vpep7-vtq.ln1@news.newsgroup.cl...

On 10/24/2010 07:36 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
<fail snipped>
> But it is free.
<fail snipped>

Right...

by the way... this is how my desktop looked when reading this~
http://uppix.net/0/a/e/f48222fe7ed62d9c425185057e168.jpg

Nothing compared to Windows 7⸮

Windows 7 is not free at all.  You are supposed to pay your tribute to
Microsoft.

But the Linux GNU Open Source Software is free to use and free of security
threats.

So there is a lot to say for Linux Open Source beyond the obvious.

I think that if more people ran Linux is would have a higher percentage
share.

I tried to run Linux about six times but I was not smart enough or not
patient enough about memorizing things.  But that is just me. Other people
than me may get a much better result.

0
Reply RickyBobby 10/24/2010 11:04:00 PM

On 10/24/2010 08:04 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
> I tried to run Linux about six times but I was not smart enough or not
> patient enough about memorizing things. But that is just me. Other
> people than me may get a much better result.

What is the hard part in clicking on buttons or moving a pointer?
Don’t tell me that you tried to do everything through the CLI without
any prior experience?
0
Reply Magno 10/24/2010 11:08:56 PM

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 16:04:00 -0700, RickyBobby wrote:

> "Magno"  wrote in message news:8vpep7-vtq.ln1@news.newsgroup.cl...
>
> On 10/24/2010 07:36 PM, RickyBobby wrote: <fail snipped>
>> But it is free.
> <fail snipped>
>
> Right...
>
> by the way... this is how my desktop looked when reading this~
> http://uppix.net/0/a/e/f48222fe7ed62d9c425185057e168.jpg
>
> Nothing compared to Windows 7⸮
>
> Windows 7 is not free at all.  You are supposed to pay your tribute to
> Microsoft.
>
> But the Linux GNU Open Source Software is free to use and free of
> security threats.
>
> So there is a lot to say for Linux Open Source beyond the obvious.
>
> I think that if more people ran Linux is would have a higher percentage
> share.
>
> I tried to run Linux about six times but I was not smart enough or not
> patient enough about memorizing things.  But that is just me. Other
> people than me may get a much better result.

Yes, those with a room temperature IQ generally fair quite well.
0
Reply ray 10/25/2010 12:59:24 AM

"ray"  wrote in message news:8ik33bFj45U3@mid.individual.net...

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 16:04:00 -0700, RickyBobby wrote:

> "Magno"  wrote in message news:8vpep7-vtq.ln1@news.newsgroup.cl...
>
> On 10/24/2010 07:36 PM, RickyBobby wrote: <fail snipped>
>> But it is free.
> <fail snipped>
>
> Right...
>
> by the way... this is how my desktop looked when reading this~
> http://uppix.net/0/a/e/f48222fe7ed62d9c425185057e168.jpg
>
> Nothing compared to Windows 7⸮
>
> Windows 7 is not free at all.  You are supposed to pay your tribute to
> Microsoft.
>
> But the Linux GNU Open Source Software is free to use and free of
> security threats.
>
> So there is a lot to say for Linux Open Source beyond the obvious.
>
> I think that if more people ran Linux is would have a higher percentage
> share.
>
> I tried to run Linux about six times but I was not smart enough or not
> patient enough about memorizing things.  But that is just me. Other
> people than me may get a much better result.

Yes, those with a room temperature IQ generally fair quite well.

Well, my IQ must be a real low measure.  I tried it lots of times but I
never could get it to do anything entertaining or useful.

Microsoft is the real deal when it comes to personal computer stuff.

0
Reply RickyBobby 10/25/2010 1:11:43 AM

On 10/24/2010 08:04 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
> I tried to run Linux about six times but I was not smart enough or not
> patient enough about memorizing things. But that is just me. Other
> people than me may get a much better result.

What is the hard part in clicking on buttons or moving a pointer?
Don�t tell me that you tried to do everything through the CLI without
any prior experience?
0
Reply Magno 10/25/2010 1:40:13 AM

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 20:08:56 -0300, Magno wrote:

> On 10/24/2010 08:04 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
>> I tried to run Linux about six times but I was not smart enough or not
>> patient enough about memorizing things. But that is just me. Other
>> people than me may get a much better result.
>
> What is the hard part in clicking on buttons or moving a pointer? Don’t
> tell me that you tried to do everything through the CLI without any
> prior experience?

Oh, believe me, "RickyBobby" really *could* be that stupid.

--
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581

> On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 16:04:00 -0700, RickyBobby wrote:

>> I think that if more people ran Linux is would have a higher percentage
>> share.

How long has Little Ricky been a Mensa member?

--
Don't ask me, I only work here.
Aspire One, Peppermint Ice

Sinister Midget III pulled this Usenet face plant:

>> On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 16:04:00 -0700, RickyBobby wrote:
>
>>> I think that if more people ran Linux is would have a higher percentage
>>> share.
>
> How long has Little Ricky been a Mensa member?

Not Mensa.  Menses.

--
Money can't buy love, but it improves your bargaining position.
		-- Christopher Marlowe

On 2010-10-24, RickyBobby <nascar42@cox.net> wrote:
> Maybe because it does not work or do anything useful.  Those could be two
> factors.
>
> But it is free.
>
> It cannot print because it will jet squirt all of the ink out of your

....you could at least bother with some 10 year old FUD rather that
some absurd nonsense that looks like it came from some kindergardner.

[deletia]

--
NO! There are no CODICILES of Fight Club!                           |||
                                                                   / | \

On 2010-10-25, Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstromc@xzoozy.com> claimed:
> Sinister Midget III pulled this Usenet face plant:

>> How long has Little Ricky been a Mensa member?
>
> Not Mensa.  Menses.

That one was as bad as TAB's "In linux you have to /know/ things"
comment.

--
Even a hawk is an eagle among crows.
Aspire One, Peppermint Ice
Friends don't let friends use Windows
0
Reply Sinister 10/25/2010 1:50:50 PM

"Magno"  wrote in message news:to3fp7-svr.ln1@news.newsgroup.cl...

On 10/24/2010 08:04 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
> I tried to run Linux about six times but I was not smart enough or not
> patient enough about memorizing things. But that is just me. Other
> people than me may get a much better result.

What is the hard part in clicking on buttons or moving a pointer?
Don�t tell me that you tried to do everything through the CLI without
any prior experience?

I tried lots of things over the years.  There were tarballs at one point and
RPM at one point and I do not even want to think about how they do things
now.  I have read some good things about this Ubuntu so I may try that on my
backup computer in the dual boot setup.  Maybe the fourteenth time will be a
charm.  Success is built upon a mountain of failures.

0
Reply RickyBobby 10/25/2010 4:29:16 PM

On 10/25/2010 01:29 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
> I tried lots of things over the years. There were tarballs at one point
> and RPM at one point and I do not even want to think about how they do
> things now. I have read some good things about this Ubuntu so I may try
> that on my backup computer in the dual boot setup. Maybe the fourteenth
> time will be a charm. Success is built upon a mountain of failures.

So you never tried PackageKit or YUM? Now I get why you failed.
0
Reply Magno 10/25/2010 4:31:53 PM

"Magno"  wrote in message news:p0ogp7-v16.ln1@news.newsgroup.cl...

On 10/25/2010 01:29 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
> I tried lots of things over the years. There were tarballs at one point
> and RPM at one point and I do not even want to think about how they do
> things now. I have read some good things about this Ubuntu so I may try
> that on my backup computer in the dual boot setup. Maybe the fourteenth
> time will be a charm. Success is built upon a mountain of failures.

So you never tried PackageKit or YUM? Now I get why you failed.

I have never even heard of either of those.  I forget which was the last
distro of Linux I installed.  It was about three or four years ago.  It had
some catchy name and a pleasant blue and white desktop theme but I cannot
recall the name.  But when I get bored a use something called KillDisc and
write the hard drive to zeros once in a while and I lost it.    Now I am
going to try Ubuntu and see what happens.  They have this neato email and
usenet reader called Godzilla or something like that which is really slick.
I do miss that.  The bugaboo last time was that I could not get any wireless
card I owned to work.  I look up the workaround on the Al Gore Internet and
the instructions were like three pages long and involved all of this
terminal and command line interface junk.  Forget that.

0
Reply RickyBobby 10/25/2010 4:48:25 PM

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 13:31:53 -0300, Magno wrote:

> On 10/25/2010 01:29 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
>> I tried lots of things over the years. There were tarballs at one point
>> and RPM at one point and I do not even want to think about how they do
>> things now. I have read some good things about this Ubuntu so I may try
>> that on my backup computer in the dual boot setup. Maybe the fourteenth
>> time will be a charm. Success is built upon a mountain of failures.
>
> So you never tried PackageKit or YUM? Now I get why you failed.

It RickBobby's case, no -- YUM and PackageKit don't come with Windows.

--
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
CentOS 5.5 or VectorLinux Deluxe 6.0
0
Reply RonB 10/25/2010 6:50:09 PM

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 08:07:19 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

> On 2010-10-24, RickyBobby <nascar42@cox.net> wrote:
>> Maybe because it does not work or do anything useful.  Those could be
>> two factors.
>>
>> But it is free.
>>
>> It cannot print because it will jet squirt all of the ink out of your
>
> ...you could at least bother with some 10 year old FUD rather that some
> absurd nonsense that looks like it came from some kindergardner.
>
> [deletia]

Now, now, "RickyBobby" is doing the best he can considering his
"limitations."

--
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
CentOS 5.5 or VectorLinux Deluxe 6.0
0
Reply RonB 10/25/2010 6:51:18 PM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 118060 articles. 12 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Linux Desktop Share is 100% in Linux companies
Linux Desktop Share is 100% in Linux companies ---------------------------------------------- Linux Desktop Share is 100% in Linux companies and micosahft marketing plops are finding it difficult to make a sale inside the Linux companies. This trend is set to continue as Linux expands its user base from its present 50 million Linux Desktop users. The principle reasons seem to be high cost of windummy OSen compared to Linux. A second reason is high cost of developer tools. Linux costs for supported packages like C/C++, Fortan, Cobol, Gambas, SQL Lite, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Apache, PHP, perl, rub...

[News] [Linux] Novell Loses Chief Architect of Linux Desktop
[Robert Love Leaving Novell] ,----[ Quote ] | This marks my 261st blog entry as a Novell employee. It shall also | mark my last. `---- http://rlove.org/log/ Novell's tactful decision to enter a deal with Microsoft... Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused: > [Robert Love Leaving Novell] > > ,----[ Quote ] >| This marks my 261st blog entry as a Novell employee. It shall also >| mark my last. > `---- > > http://rlove.org/log/ > > Novell's tactful decision to enter a deal with Microsoft... It would appear that SuSE will soon be Mi...

Desktop Linux market share exceeds Micoshaft Pista market share!!
Desktop Linux market share exceeds Micoshaft Pista market share!! ----------------------------------------------------------------- http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp Linux market share exceeds Micoshaft flagship OSen Pista. Ubuntu alone has some 20 million desktop seats installed. That would make it around 1% to 2% of all PCs on the globe on just one Linux distro. There are hundreds of Desktop Linux distros. "7" <email_at_www_at_enemygadgets_dot_com@enemygadgets.com> wrote in message news:OZ7pr.366225$mj1.90608@fx25.am4... > Desktop Linux market sha...

Linux Share on the Desktop
Looking at all the data from NetMarketShare I see the following: <http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/LinuxTrendNov2007-Present.png> Yes, Linux's share on the desktop market is still low - but even with the ups and downs it is clear that the overall tend, not just in usage but in *percentage* on the desktop, is going up... even if slowly. I hope to see this trend continue. Excellent to see. -- "Maybe it wouldn't be quite as good, but we would all be okay." - Richard Stallman, speaking about if his ideas were followed ...

[News] Elegant Linux Laptops to Increase 'Desktop Linux' Market Share
Asus Eee PC - breakthrough Linux product faces threat ,----[ Quote ] | The market has spoken and it clearly wants a consumer Linux computer. The | sub-notebook Asus Eee PC has not been able to meet demand and is predicted to | sell up to 5 million units worldwide next year. If that comes true a single | product will have on its own shifted consumer Linux market share upwards a | notch or two. `---- http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15483/1023/ Recent: Asustek Aims 20% of the PC Market in 2010 with Eee PC. Traditional PCs Are Too Powerful, Eee PC – Going Back to Basics, Says Asust...

News story: Microsoft winning market share in mobile devices; Linux losing market share
Do the math: Symbian has 39% share (and falling), MS Mobile has 13% (and rising), which leaves Linux os and others (such as in-house proprietary OSes) with 39%. Seems like Linux is losing market share in the mobile space as well. RL http://www.businessweek.com/technology/software/ Microsoft: Making Mobile Progress Sony Ericsson unveils a line of phones boasting Microsoft's Windows Mobile operating system, a coup for both players. Telecom February 10, 2008, 2:01PM EST Microsoft: Making Mobile Progress Sony Ericsson unveils a line of phones boasting Microsoft's Windows Mobile oper...

File transfer / sharing between embedded linux version 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux)
Hi, I am trying to share / transfer files between embedded linux version 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux). What is the best way to achieve this ? Thanks in advance for your time & help. Regards Ram On Jul 11, 8:44 am, ramson...@gmail.com wrote: > I am trying to share / transfer files between embedded linux version > 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux). What is the best way to > achieve this ? Samba is a set of tools that lets linux be a client and/or server of windows (smb) file sharing. If your linux system has the resources, that would be very transparent once...

File transfer / sharing between embedded linux version 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux)
Hi, I am trying to share / transfer files between embedded linux version 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux). What is the best way to achieve this ? Thanks in advance for your time & help. Regards Ram <ramsonney@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1184161595.496086.263480@z28g2000prd.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I am trying to share / transfer files between embedded linux version > 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux). What is the best way to > achieve this ? > > Thanks in advance for your time & help. Regards > > Ram &g...

Why is Linux desktop share dropping?
Looks like Linux desktop share is dropping again, now below 1% and still going down. http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=9&qpcustom=iOS,Linux&sample=36 Please help me explain this puzzling development. Thanks i On 10/18/2010 08:13 PM, Ignoramus655 wrote: > Looks like Linux desktop share is dropping again, now below 1% and > still going down. > > http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=9&qpcustom=iOS,Linux&sample=36 > > Please help me explain this puzzling development. > > Thanks > ...

Linux desktop market share increases
Linux desktop market share increases ------------------------------------ As expected Linux desktop market share has increased last year http://blogs.computerworld.com/15462/linux_market_share_grows_vs_windows_and_mac_os_x_shrinkage Another plus for 2010 - 75% of all Linux is now developed and supported by corporate developers. This is a massive leap for well supported corporate use of Linux. This against a scene which is set for spectacular explosion of Linux into phones, smartbooks and tablets for 2010. 7 pulled this Usenet boner: > Linux desktop market share increases > -----...

Linux gaining Desktop share by the day
Linux gaining Desktop share by the day -------------------------------------- Linux desktop share is gaining by the day at an exponential rate and pretty soon its going to be 7% - the magic figure where its declared a mainstream standard. So what do you do to prepare for it? Converting a few of the desktops to Linux would be a good idea so that management and users can practice using it. Ubuntu 9.04 takes about 9 minutes to install on a modern PC so its worth installing it on a couple of machines. And what might you get out of? Well start by using open office, email, set up some printers, ...

"Linux Market Share on Desktop"
http://www.netmarketshare.com/linux-market-share On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 17:07:57 -0800 (PST), Steve Carroll wrote: > http://www.netmarketshare.com/linux-market-share Go Linux! You go girl ! -- flatfish+++ PLEASE VISIT OUR HALL OF LINUX IDIOTS: http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/ flatfish+++ wrote: > On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 17:07:57 -0800 (PST), Steve Carroll wrote: > >> http://www.netmarketshare.com/linux-market-share http://joyreactor.com/post/282940 There are 1.5 billion desktop computer users in the world. If 1% of that total use Linux, it means 15 mill...

Linux Losing Market Share to Windows Server
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2207368,00.asp Any change since the article's publication? I think not. "OK" <otto@kaiser.de> wrote in message news:03cg149ihsjbbbnqclgjhb2bj6qrheqtgh@4ax.com... > > > http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2207368,00.asp > > Any change since the article's publication? I think not. > The Linux fans don't want to talk much about actual market share (i.e. how much money comes their way) because they don't look so hot. The want to talk about some kind of popularity contest where there are no good metri...

NEWS
Linux Losing Market Share to Windows Server By Peter Galli October 25, 2007 Experts say that migrations from Unix to Linux have slowed down because all the low-hanging fruit has now been picked. Linux growth in the U.S. x86 server market has, over the past six quarters, started to falter and reverse its positive course relative to Windows Server and the market as a whole. http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2207368,00.asp -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com TONY TROMBOLI schrieb: > > http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2207368,00.asp > T...

Techrights Watch: GNU/Linux Desktop Market Share
<http://trw.gallopinginsanity.com/2011/08/27/gnulinux-desktop-market-share> ----- Referencing: http://techrights.org/2011/08/19/gnu-linux-on-techrights/ Roy has a post where he starts by saying “20 years old kernel finds itself everywhere”. This is a fine opening: Linux is found in many place. It is heavily seen in the server room and in embedded devices and, now with Android, it is literally seen in the hands of many. It really is quite remarkable how far and wide it has spread and how versatile it has proved to be. The only place Linux has no...

Another Desktop GNU/Linux Market Share Assessment

Linux client desktop market share exceeds windopws
Linux client desktop market share exceeds windopws -------------------------------------------------- Linux now the no.1 operating system on the planet. Client desktop market includes all platforms such as PCs, ARM PCs, netbooks, ARM tablets, smartphones, smartbooks, etc where customers spend their time operating computers to gain access to information, consume online media, and perform all their desktop computing. This is the market where all the technology companies make their money making gadgets, where high street retailers make money selling gadgets to consumers and where all the softwa...

Linux Desktop Market Share in Feburary 2009: 34%

Linux Desktop Market Share Increases by 40% in 4 Months
http://linux.about.com/b/2012/01/08/linux-desktop-market-share-increases-by-40-in-4-months.htm http://tinyurl.com/d39mrmp After swilling some grog, Nobody belched this bit o' wisdom: > http://linux.about.com/b/2012/01/08/linux-desktop-market-share-increases-by-40-in-4-months.htm > > http://tinyurl.com/d39mrmp The article is a little bogus: ...but it [Linux] has not been able to make a serious dent in the dominance of Microsoft Windows in the desktop operating system market, where computers have to be user-friendly enough to be usable by anybody. ...

[News] Desktop Market Share Irrelevant to GNU/Linux Success

Can Linux reach 1% desktop share in 20 years?
It seems to have "surged" over the past year from 0.43% to 0.68%, so it's looking like the exciting event might just happen by 2011! On Jun 30, 9:46=A0am, "DFS" <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote: > It seems to have "surged" over the past year from 0.43% to 0.68%, so it's > looking like the exciting event might just happen by 2011! Hi DFS. Yes, desktop linux is not going that big yet. And it may never go. It is strange to people who see it. People are scared of it. I know, I know, some people put grandma on linux, and grandma loves it. Until she ...

[News] GNU/Linux Exceeds Apple Market Share on Desktops Too?

[News] Linux Desktop Market Share Could Soon Reach 12%
$100 laptop marches on the developing world ,----[ Quote ] | The unit will be running an adapted version of Red Hat's Fedora | Linux distribution. This could propel market share for Linux on | the desktop as high as 12 per cent, Negroponte has projected. `---- http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/analysis/2171408/100-laptop-marches-developing After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o' wisdom: > $100 laptop marches on the developing world > > ,----[ Quote ] > | The unit will be running an adapted version of Red Hat's Fedora > | Linux dist...

[News] Desktop GNU/Linux Share Underestimated Due to US Bias