Desktop Linux losing share

Maybe because it does not work or do anything useful.  Those could be two
factors.

But it is free.

It cannot print because it will jet squirt all of the ink out of your
printer ink tanks on the first page.  It cannot do Microsoft Office.  It
cannot do Adobe or Flash.  It cannot do Youtube or Twitter or anything else
popular.

Linux is just a retarded sort of a web browser but if you click on something
it will not go through.

0
RickyBobby
10/24/2010 10:36:35 PM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 120898 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 10/24/2010 07:36 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
<fail snipped>
> But it is free.
<fail snipped>

Right...

by the way... this is how my desktop looked when reading this~
http://uppix.net/0/a/e/f48222fe7ed62d9c425185057e168.jpg

Nothing compared to Windows 7⸮
0
Magno
10/24/2010 10:52:56 PM

"Magno"  wrote in message news:8vpep7-vtq.ln1@news.newsgroup.cl...

On 10/24/2010 07:36 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
<fail snipped>
> But it is free.
<fail snipped>

Right...

by the way... this is how my desktop looked when reading this~
http://uppix.net/0/a/e/f48222fe7ed62d9c425185057e168.jpg

Nothing compared to Windows 7⸮

Windows 7 is not free at all.  You are supposed to pay your tribute to
Microsoft.

But the Linux GNU Open Source Software is free to use and free of security
threats.

So there is a lot to say for Linux Open Source beyond the obvious.

I think that if more people ran Linux is would have a higher percentage
share.

I tried to run Linux about six times but I was not smart enough or not
patient enough about memorizing things.  But that is just me. Other people
than me may get a much better result.

0
RickyBobby
10/24/2010 11:04:00 PM
On 10/24/2010 08:04 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
> I tried to run Linux about six times but I was not smart enough or not
> patient enough about memorizing things. But that is just me. Other
> people than me may get a much better result.

What is the hard part in clicking on buttons or moving a pointer?
Don’t tell me that you tried to do everything through the CLI without
any prior experience?
0
Magno
10/24/2010 11:08:56 PM
On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 16:04:00 -0700, RickyBobby wrote:

> "Magno"  wrote in message news:8vpep7-vtq.ln1@news.newsgroup.cl...
>
> On 10/24/2010 07:36 PM, RickyBobby wrote: <fail snipped>
>> But it is free.
> <fail snipped>
>
> Right...
>
> by the way... this is how my desktop looked when reading this~
> http://uppix.net/0/a/e/f48222fe7ed62d9c425185057e168.jpg
>
> Nothing compared to Windows 7⸮
>
> Windows 7 is not free at all.  You are supposed to pay your tribute to
> Microsoft.
>
> But the Linux GNU Open Source Software is free to use and free of
> security threats.
>
> So there is a lot to say for Linux Open Source beyond the obvious.
>
> I think that if more people ran Linux is would have a higher percentage
> share.
>
> I tried to run Linux about six times but I was not smart enough or not
> patient enough about memorizing things.  But that is just me. Other
> people than me may get a much better result.

Yes, those with a room temperature IQ generally fair quite well.
0
ray
10/25/2010 12:59:24 AM

"ray"  wrote in message news:8ik33bFj45U3@mid.individual.net...

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 16:04:00 -0700, RickyBobby wrote:

> "Magno"  wrote in message news:8vpep7-vtq.ln1@news.newsgroup.cl...
>
> On 10/24/2010 07:36 PM, RickyBobby wrote: <fail snipped>
>> But it is free.
> <fail snipped>
>
> Right...
>
> by the way... this is how my desktop looked when reading this~
> http://uppix.net/0/a/e/f48222fe7ed62d9c425185057e168.jpg
>
> Nothing compared to Windows 7⸮
>
> Windows 7 is not free at all.  You are supposed to pay your tribute to
> Microsoft.
>
> But the Linux GNU Open Source Software is free to use and free of
> security threats.
>
> So there is a lot to say for Linux Open Source beyond the obvious.
>
> I think that if more people ran Linux is would have a higher percentage
> share.
>
> I tried to run Linux about six times but I was not smart enough or not
> patient enough about memorizing things.  But that is just me. Other
> people than me may get a much better result.

Yes, those with a room temperature IQ generally fair quite well.

Well, my IQ must be a real low measure.  I tried it lots of times but I
never could get it to do anything entertaining or useful.

Microsoft is the real deal when it comes to personal computer stuff.

0
RickyBobby
10/25/2010 1:11:43 AM
On 10/24/2010 08:04 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
> I tried to run Linux about six times but I was not smart enough or not
> patient enough about memorizing things. But that is just me. Other
> people than me may get a much better result.

What is the hard part in clicking on buttons or moving a pointer?
Don�t tell me that you tried to do everything through the CLI without
any prior experience?
0
Magno
10/25/2010 1:40:13 AM
On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 20:08:56 -0300, Magno wrote:

> On 10/24/2010 08:04 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
>> I tried to run Linux about six times but I was not smart enough or not
>> patient enough about memorizing things. But that is just me. Other
>> people than me may get a much better result.
>
> What is the hard part in clicking on buttons or moving a pointer? Don’t
> tell me that you tried to do everything through the CLI without any
> prior experience?

Oh, believe me, "RickyBobby" really *could* be that stupid.

--
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
> On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 16:04:00 -0700, RickyBobby wrote:

>> I think that if more people ran Linux is would have a higher percentage
>> share.

How long has Little Ricky been a Mensa member?

--
Don't ask me, I only work here.
Aspire One, Peppermint Ice

>> On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 16:04:00 -0700, RickyBobby wrote:
>
>>> I think that if more people ran Linux is would have a higher percentage
>>> share.
>
> How long has Little Ricky been a Mensa member?

Not Mensa.  Menses.

--
Money can't buy love, but it improves your bargaining position.
		-- Christopher Marlowe
On 2010-10-24, RickyBobby <nascar42@cox.net> wrote:
> Maybe because it does not work or do anything useful.  Those could be two
> factors.
>
> But it is free.
>
> It cannot print because it will jet squirt all of the ink out of your

....you could at least bother with some 10 year old FUD rather that
some absurd nonsense that looks like it came from some kindergardner.

[deletia]

--
NO! There are no CODICILES of Fight Club!                           |||
                                                                   / | \
On 2010-10-25, Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstromc@xzoozy.com> claimed:
> Sinister Midget III pulled this Usenet face plant:

>> How long has Little Ricky been a Mensa member?
>
> Not Mensa.  Menses.

That one was as bad as TAB's "In linux you have to /know/ things"
comment.

--
Even a hawk is an eagle among crows.
Aspire One, Peppermint Ice
Friends don't let friends use Windows
0
Sinister
10/25/2010 1:50:50 PM

"Magno"  wrote in message news:to3fp7-svr.ln1@news.newsgroup.cl...

On 10/24/2010 08:04 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
> I tried to run Linux about six times but I was not smart enough or not
> patient enough about memorizing things. But that is just me. Other
> people than me may get a much better result.

What is the hard part in clicking on buttons or moving a pointer?
Don�t tell me that you tried to do everything through the CLI without
any prior experience?

I tried lots of things over the years.  There were tarballs at one point and
RPM at one point and I do not even want to think about how they do things
now.  I have read some good things about this Ubuntu so I may try that on my
backup computer in the dual boot setup.  Maybe the fourteenth time will be a
charm.  Success is built upon a mountain of failures.

0
RickyBobby
10/25/2010 4:29:16 PM
On 10/25/2010 01:29 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
> I tried lots of things over the years. There were tarballs at one point
> and RPM at one point and I do not even want to think about how they do
> things now. I have read some good things about this Ubuntu so I may try
> that on my backup computer in the dual boot setup. Maybe the fourteenth
> time will be a charm. Success is built upon a mountain of failures.

So you never tried PackageKit or YUM? Now I get why you failed.
0
Magno
10/25/2010 4:31:53 PM

"Magno"  wrote in message news:p0ogp7-v16.ln1@news.newsgroup.cl...

On 10/25/2010 01:29 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
> I tried lots of things over the years. There were tarballs at one point
> and RPM at one point and I do not even want to think about how they do
> things now. I have read some good things about this Ubuntu so I may try
> that on my backup computer in the dual boot setup. Maybe the fourteenth
> time will be a charm. Success is built upon a mountain of failures.

So you never tried PackageKit or YUM? Now I get why you failed.

I have never even heard of either of those.  I forget which was the last
distro of Linux I installed.  It was about three or four years ago.  It had
some catchy name and a pleasant blue and white desktop theme but I cannot
recall the name.  But when I get bored a use something called KillDisc and
write the hard drive to zeros once in a while and I lost it.    Now I am
going to try Ubuntu and see what happens.  They have this neato email and
usenet reader called Godzilla or something like that which is really slick.
I do miss that.  The bugaboo last time was that I could not get any wireless
card I owned to work.  I look up the workaround on the Al Gore Internet and
the instructions were like three pages long and involved all of this
terminal and command line interface junk.  Forget that.

0
RickyBobby
10/25/2010 4:48:25 PM
On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 13:31:53 -0300, Magno wrote:

> On 10/25/2010 01:29 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
>> I tried lots of things over the years. There were tarballs at one point
>> and RPM at one point and I do not even want to think about how they do
>> things now. I have read some good things about this Ubuntu so I may try
>> that on my backup computer in the dual boot setup. Maybe the fourteenth
>> time will be a charm. Success is built upon a mountain of failures.
>
> So you never tried PackageKit or YUM? Now I get why you failed.

It RickBobby's case, no -- YUM and PackageKit don't come with Windows.

--
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
CentOS 5.5 or VectorLinux Deluxe 6.0
0
RonB
10/25/2010 6:50:09 PM
On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 08:07:19 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

> On 2010-10-24, RickyBobby <nascar42@cox.net> wrote:
>> Maybe because it does not work or do anything useful.  Those could be
>> two factors.
>>
>> But it is free.
>>
>> It cannot print because it will jet squirt all of the ink out of your
>
> ...you could at least bother with some 10 year old FUD rather that some
> absurd nonsense that looks like it came from some kindergardner.
>
> [deletia]

Now, now, "RickyBobby" is doing the best he can considering his
"limitations."

--
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
CentOS 5.5 or VectorLinux Deluxe 6.0
0
RonB

DBRecovery Desktop 2006.0644
DBRecovery Desktop suite provides a set of database recovery utilities in convenient setup package at cost-saving price. With DBRecovery Desktop one can recover tables and table data from damaged database. The suite provides recovery solution for such formats as Microsoft Access (.mdb), FileMaker Pro, Works Database, Paradox. Also features an utility for DBF recovery (file format used in Microsoft Visual FoxPro and other database applications). All the components are easy in use, no special skills required. More Info: http://www.officerecovery.com/dbrecovery/index.htm?submit/ Downlo...

Mac Desktop
I'm one who keeps my desktop "pristine", that is with normally no folders or such on the desktop and a disappearing dock. A good friend is quite the opposite having probably around forty folders or such on the desktop and a non-disappearing dock. I'm not going to say which is better or more productive, but that I find it interesting that the Mac interface provides such a variance in appearance choice. it would be interesting to hear from others as to where their choices lie and why. -- James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas TaliesinSoft <taliesinsoft@me.com> wrote: &...

[News] Linux Laptops Available for Just $259
Asus Eee PC Is Available In NCIXUS Retailer ,----[ Quote ] | If you are eager to have one Asus Eee mini laptop you can visit NCIXUS | Retailer. They offer 5 models with different 5 prices that you can order. The | retailer says that your order shipment takes 1 to 2 weeks. `---- http://laptopcom.blogspot.com/2007/08/asus-eee-pc-is-available-in-ncixus.html It has those tainted Intel chips though. And if Apple did a variant of it, it would be called iEEE. Related: Asus Eee PC Price Hike, Limited Launch Next Month ,----[ Quote ] | Citing anonymous sources at the company, DigiTimes is re...

Linux w windows questions
Hi, I have no background of Linux. I have a pc on which I've developed a website. Now since actual website will be hosted on some host's Linux server, I would like to have an exact emulation on my pc. so in case I need to troubleshoot the website in the future, I can emulate the changes on my pc. My questions: 1. Should I buy a new PC or buy a new HDD and use dual HDD - one containing windows and second containing Linux on a single PC ? 2. If the latter is advised, can windows "see" Linux folders. Can I do file transfer from Windows session to a Linux folder and later use ...

Dual Monitors laptop/desktop
I am not quite sure how to do this. I got a Dell Laptop (9200) on the way and I want to use my existing monitor for both my desktop computer and my laptop. I know the only way it would probably work is with some sort of A/B switch like some people have done with TV. I assume you can't have two different computers hooked up to the same monitor at the same time, or can you run a split screen thing? Is there anything like this out there and what is it called, and how would I do it? Thank you! There are switches available to allow one keyboard, monitor and mouse to be shared by 2 or mor...

Linux in Forth? #5
> 4 of 5 >Date: Sun 17 Jul 2005 19:29 >From: "Elizabeth D Rather" ><bobjaffray@juno.com> wrote in message >news:1121652107.382958.159540@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >> Linux in Forth? >> ... >>>But a conventional OS has certain organizational >>>expectations that are contrary to Forth's design which makes a lot of >>>different assumptions about development procedures and other issues. >> bj: This I don't understand. Forth _is_ an OS in >> a primitive but fundamental way. It is just generally >...

How to share bookmarks with Safari/Firefox-Problem with Popups
I got my MBP today and it's sure a big change for Windows, all for the better! Honestly after I started using it I barely even touched my Windows laptop anymore. I'm not sure which web browser I'll use. I used Safari a lot and just tried Firefox. What I like about Firefox is the tabbed browsing and no pop-ups. Maybe I'm missing something in Safari but I haven't used tabbed browsing and most of all ,I'm getting a lot of popups. Is there a way to avoid them? As well, since I have a desktop in the house as well as a laptop that I will use at home and on the go, is there a ...

looking for personal desktop or embedded database engine
Subject: personal desktop or embedded database engine Hello, I am looking for a database engine with the following characteristics: a) It should handle up to 2GB-4GB of raw data (total database size storing 4GB of raw data should not exceed dozen or so gigabytes), allocated into dozen or so tables, and several million rows; many of rows holding CLOB and BLOB data (most of them will be no longer than few kilobytes, but no artificial limit of 1MB, for instance, should be put on LOB size). Disk space consumption should be reasonably proportional to raw data size stored, for example...

Mount Windows AFP share via Classic and MS UAM!
I take care of a Mac lab in which Quark 5 (classic only) is being used on OS X boxes. We have network storage for the users of this lab to store their projects. The network share is being served from a Windows 2000 server running apple services. This means the client must authenticate using Microsoft's User Authentication Module (UAM). The problem we've encountered is that if a user mounts the drive using OS X's "Connect to Server..." function, the files tend to corrupt. We can get around this by having the user mount the drive via the chooser. I've tried co...

Linux magazines...
Hi all. I'd like to learn a little more about Linux programming and system/network administration and was thinking of subscribing to a Linux magazine or journal of some sort. Are there any out there that are worth reading? ***************************************************** Josh Lessard M.Math Candidate School of Computer Science University of Waterloo (519)888-4567 x3400 http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca ***************************************************** On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 18:27:51 -0500, Josh Lessard wrote: > Hi all. I'd like to learn a little mor...

[9fans] [9fans ] What's the best access method to Plan9 from Linux
Hi all, Currently, I installed a Plan9 system on a computer while I still usually work under Debian Linux running on another computer. So I wonder how I can conveniently access the Plan9 system from my Linux box? That is, what is the best way to access Plan9 from Linux? SSH? or any other more Plan9 welcome methods? And, of course, I have tried to learn them from Plan9 wiki but feel yet difficult to understand some concepts there, such as u9fs etc. BTW: I have used ``Plan9 from user space'' port on my Linux box for a while. Is it useful to meet the mission mentioned above? Thank...

The New Desktop Paradigm: Blame the Success of Linux on the Desktop
<http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2012/04/the-new-desktop-paradigm-blame.html> <quote> The new Windows 8 Metro desktop, the latest incarnation of Mac OSX, Android, Ubuntu's Unity desktop and GNOME 3, love them or hate them, all came about because of the success of Linux on the desktop. No, you didn't misread that and, no, I'm not talking about market share. The new desktop paradigm originated on the very successful Linux desktop designs of the early netbooks: Xandros Presto! introduced the current style of desktop on the ASUS Eee PC in 2007. Those sold like proverbial ho...

Please help
Dear Sir/Madam, My name is Sekhar Hari.I have been extensively working in the field of Linux and Cisco Internetworking administration side for the last 3 years.And got exposure to important administration tasks and shell scripts in Linux and AIX and Networks.Now I am really on the look out for a move.I am ready to relocate anywhere.Can anyone suggest any vacancies in the above mentioned area with full details ? Need your help very much to find a good job.I am ready to take up the job immediately upon offer and to work to my full potential and responsibilities.My email Id is his...

PCI driver linux with DMA
Hello, I am writing a driver for a pci card with DAM capability. The card has pci bridge and is DMA master capable. Could anyone suggest to me any good sites or documentation which could be helpful? I have already started with Linux device drivers from oreilly. Thanks, Nitesh LDD from O'Reilly has a pretty good chapter covering DMA. It explains block mode as well as scatter-gather kernel calls. Of course, you still need the data sheet for your PCI chip so your driver knows how to program the DMA engine. Which PCI chip are you using? Yes. I have the data sheet of the pc...

ramdisk: how give it a name? (on desktop it's 'untitled')
My system (G5, OSX 10.4.11) creates a ramdisk at boot time, using a script based on an example on the hdid manpage: device="`hdiutil attach -nomount ram://1024`" #device="`/usr/bin/hdid -nomount ram://1024`" /sbin/newfs $device /sbin/mount $device /nmk/ram0 (I changed the first line to one using hdiutl because the manpage for hdid said hdid was mildly deprecated). The disk works perfectly well. My only niggle is that its ikon on my desktop is labelled 'Untitled'. I'd like to be able to change that. The wish is purely aesthetic; I never interact with the ...

[ace-users] ACE VERSION: 5.6.8 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: Linux Debian on x86 COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): g++-4.1.2 THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h: config-linux.h THE $ACE_ROOT/inc
This is a multipart message in MIME format. --=_alternative 004800E0C1257577_= Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable ACE VERSION: 5.6.8 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: Linux Debian on x86 COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL):=20 g++-4.1.2 THE $ACE=5FROOT/ace/config.h: config-linux.h THE $ACE=5FROOT/include/makeinclude/platform=5Fmacros.GNU FILE: platform=5Flinux.GNU CONTENTS OF $ACE=5FROOT/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/default.features (unmodified): AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: Signal ...

HELP
I'm trying to get rid of Palm Desktop When I try to install the desktop for the TX I get the error message 1714 cannot remove old installation, I've been to the Palm website and tried all the ideas but they don't work, I've been through the registry and deleted every occurrence of "Palm, Palmone, Handspring, U.S. Robotics". There is no file on my system with palm in it's name If I try and reinstall the old desktop I get an error about corruption, some where on my computer there is something which is telling the Palm installer that the desktop is stil...

[News] Another 100,000 GNU/Linux Users in ELCOT

The Real Story about Server Market Share (8/12/10)
The Real Story about Server Market Share (8/12/10) click here: http://www.hp.com/go/therealstory then click: HP then click: The Real Story about Server Market Share (8/12/10) Thoughts or comments? Neil Rieck Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/ In article <97da5b4d-17ce-4121-b07b-bb7d3e1f0fa2@d8g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>, Neil Rieck <n.rieck@sympatico.ca> writes: > The Real Story about Server Market Share (8/12/10) > > click here: http://www.hp.com/go/therealstory > then click: HP > then click: The Real Story about Server Market Share (...

Re: Desktop Productivity Toys
On Tue, 25 May 2004 07:58:28 -0700, Choate, Paul@DDS <pchoate@DDS.CA.GOV> wrote: >My favorite PowerToy shows a preview of all my open applications during >Alt-Tabs. I always have at least 5 windows open and frequently upwards of >20. Usually I'll have 3-4 Explorer windows and IE windows each, so it's hard >to choose the right one each time as I swap back and forth. This >application allows me to more quickly and accurately jump between the >windows. > >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp > >There's also a great Scien...

Serious Vulnerability in PGP Desktop 10.0.3 and 10.1 -- No Fix for Free Version #2
PGP issued security advisory SYM10-012. See <http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/securityupdates/detail.jsp?fid=security_advisory&pvid=security_advisory&year=2010&suid=20101118_00>. In Vulnerability Note VU#300785 of US-CERT (an agency of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security), this vulnerability is described as > > An attacker could add a message part (attachment) > > to a valid, signed PGP message and the entire message, > > including the attacker's message part, would be > > reported to the reader as having a valid si...

icon placement on desktop
is there some way to keep icon placement on the Desktop stable from session to session? for example, i like Icons --> Line up horizontally Icons --> Sort Icons --> By Type but i have to both those menu selections every time i boot KDE. Gotta be a better way (???) thanks les schaffer In comp.windows.x.kde, Les Schaffer uttered the immortal words: > is there some way to keep icon placement on the Desktop stable from > session to session? > > for example, i like > > Icons --> Line up horizontally > Icons --> Sort Icons --> By Type > &...

Which Files to Backup for Palm Desktop?
Hello: I no longer have my Palm Pilot, but I still use Palm Desktop for its calendar and address book. I'd like to backup the data files for safe keeping. Which files do I back up? And, just in case I have to restore do I just copy those data files back into the Palm folder? Thanks in advance for your help! ...

Building a Rack server w/Desktop Mainboard
This is my situation.. I have to add a new W2k Server, but don't need an expensive server. Desktop hardware will do fine, BUT I have no room in either of our rack enclosures for a mid tower, and want to add a desktop mainboard in a 2U rack chassis. We presently use Intel D865PERL mainboards for desktops. ... Does anyone recommend a rack chassis that would work? Or are there better suited Intel desktop boards? Is this at all possible? Thanks. Richard Dj > I have to add a new W2k Server, but don't need an expensive server. > Desktop hardware will do fine, BUT I have no room in ei...

A new reader? Welcome to comp.os.linux.misc, read this first if you're new here (FAQ) #388
Netiquette 2007-08#1 New reader? Great! Welcome! Here's how to make best use of this newsgroup and get yourself a slice of the best help available. Now read on ... TESTING YOUR CONNECTION Errm, first a delicate point. Often users accessing a forum like this for the first time don't realize that posts don't show up immediately, certainly not for several minutes, and maybe not for some hours. In the old days, it took as long as the camel bearing the news took! So they tend to post "test" messages. Plea...