Developer Is Building An App Store For Banned Android Apps

http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/20/developer-is-building-an-app-store-for-ban=
ned-android-apps

|An Android developer by the name of Koushik Dutta
|is building an alternative Android app store which will house
|the apps that have been banned from Google=92s official Android Market.
|These will include the custom ROMs
|(customized versions of the Android OS),
|classic gaming emulators pulled due to copyright complaints,
|unofficial tethering apps removed at the behest of mobile operators,
|Visual Voicemail apps, one-click rooting apps, and more.
|[...]
|he has posted a progress update,
|https://plus.google.com/103583939320326217147/posts/izarYrkb7SV
|showing an early version of the store being built.
0
jeffm_ (1319)

On Jan 25, 3:56=A0am, JeffM <jef...@email.com> wrote:
> http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/20/developer-is-building-an-app-store-f...
>
> |An Android developer by the name of Koushik Dutta
> |is building an alternative Android app store which will house
> |the apps that have been banned from Google=92s official Android Market.
> |These will include the custom ROMs
> |(customized versions of the Android OS),
> |classic gaming emulators pulled due to copyright complaints,

That's lovely.

> |unofficial tethering apps removed at the behest of mobile operators,
> |Visual Voicemail apps, one-click rooting apps, and more.

Yay, another place to download Android malware.

--
"For example, if someone wanted to push to make it legal for 80 year
old siblings to have sex I would not really care." - Snit
On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 00:56:59 -0800 (PST), JeffM wrote:

> http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/20/developer-is-building-an-app-store-for-banned-android-apps
>
>|An Android developer by the name of Koushik Dutta
>|is building an alternative Android app store which will house
>|the apps that have been banned from Google´┐Żs official Android Market.
>|These will include the custom ROMs
>|(customized versions of the Android OS),
>|classic gaming emulators pulled due to copyright complaints,
>|unofficial tethering apps removed at the behest of mobile operators,
>|Visual Voicemail apps, one-click rooting apps, and more.
>|[...]
>|he has posted a progress update,
>|https://plus.google.com/103583939320326217147/posts/izarYrkb7SV
>|showing an early version of the store being built.

So he is in effect operating a pirate site.

Typical freetard.
0
frankfoster50 (6788)
1/25/2012 9:32:24 PM
cc wrote:
>Yay, another place to download Android malware.

Actually, unlike Google's closed-source AppStore,
this appears to be the -OPEN- source repository
that I've long said is the answer to purposely-infected apps.

As with other -responsible- sources of software,
if you wait 24 hours and the app you had your eye on is still
available,
it's unlikely that it contains rogue code.
Time will tell if this plays out in the glowing way that I anticipate.

....but thanks for adding your rabid doomsday speculation,
Linux advocate.
0
jeffm_ (1319)
1/26/2012 8:44:52 AM
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 00:44:52 -0800, JeffM wrote:

> cc wrote:
>>Yay, another place to download Android malware.
>>
> Actually, unlike Google's closed-source AppStore, this appears to be the
> -OPEN- source repository that I've long said is the answer to
> purposely-infected apps.
>
> As with other -responsible- sources of software, if you wait 24 hours
> and the app you had your eye on is still available,
> it's unlikely that it contains rogue code. Time will tell if this plays
> out in the glowing way that I anticipate.
>
> ...but thanks for adding your rabid doomsday speculation, Linux
> advocate.

Yeah, those 82 malware apps (mostly in China) out of about 400,000
available apps is a "terrible" record. Isn't it about time someone told
those MacTrolls to piss off? Or at least killfile the crank iCultists.

--
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
JeffM wrote:

> ccretin wrote:
>>
>>Yay, another place to download Android malware.

Yeah, weak-minded fools like you might be better-off having someone
make all your choices for you, ccretin.

"If I'm allowed, I might download something bad!  Please, someone
protect me from myself!"

>Actually, unlike Google's closed-source AppStore,
>this appears to be the -OPEN- source repository
>that I've long said is the answer to purposely-infected apps.
>
>As with other -responsible- sources of software,
>if you wait 24 hours and the app you had your eye on is still
>available,
>it's unlikely that it contains rogue code.
>Time will tell if this plays out in the glowing way that I anticipate.

This is something that I hoped and predicted would happen - a place to
get software that is not "big brother approved".

But, yes, with more freedom does come more responsibility.  One should
not dive-in head-first until one knows how deep the water is.

--
"This choice thing is a joke."  -  "True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark
0