Going to advocate Linux again

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I have four PCs and they all have the same thing on them which is sort of
like overkill.

1) i7 powerhouse main computer

2) Celeron less powerhouse backup computer

3) HP notebook

4) Toshiba netbook.  But the netbook now has 4Gb of RAM and a big ass hard
drive so it is like a real computer.  It has one of those dual cored Athlon
CPU instead of that do nothing Intel Ion which is better off in a
smartphone.  I had to buy external speakers for the netbook because the
included speakers are as much as inaudible. But I like it a lot once I got
it upgraded and I have an iPhone but the screen is too small to use like a
computer even though it can be used that way and a lot of people get good
results with it.  I like Apple because they always make good stuff that
works and is durable and does not break down.

So I heard some good stuff about Ubuntu distro of Linux so I am ready to
give it a try for now.  I have voted against the dual boot option and I am
going to wipe out the hard drive with a utility called Kill Disc or
something like that and while that is running I will download and burn me
that Ubuntu.

Now the backup computer kit is just a Celeron E3300 Wolfdale Dual Core and a
meager 2GB of DDR2 800 RAM.  Also an nVidia series 9 video card and some
brand X PPIA multichannel sound card with digital optical out.  I do not use
computer speakers on my real computers, I use a receiver and big whomping
wooden speakers and subwoofers.  Like Polk Audio and JBL and Klipsch
bookshelf speakers and center channel speakers and subwoofers so I can get
rocking sound to listen to Lady Gaga and the Black Eyed Peas and modern pop
music as well as watching DVD movies.  I do not expect the Ubuntu to be able
to cipher out the digital optical out sound card but that will have to be
okay and I will have maybe no sound.

I have a couple of wireless network cards and I am going to be clever and
plug them both into the USB ports and see if the Ubuntu can run at least one
of them.  If not, I will not have no internet either unless I move the PC to
the router or the router to the PC.  But that would be a lot of trouble wire
wires and cables and plugs so if the Ubuntu cannot recognize any of the
wireless thingies I guess I will just be dead in the water.  And I am going
to have to move the printer to a real computer which is another pain in the
neck if I want to print anything.

I wish the people who make hardware would get down off their high horse and
put Linux drivers on the CD.  That would make life a lot simpler.

But at least I am trying.  I used to be able to post worthless nonsense to
the Usenet forum in native Linux and I am fixing to try to do it again.
Wish me luck.

0
Reply RickyBobby 10/25/2010 8:04:39 PM

See related articles to this posting

"RickyBobby" <nascar42@cox.net> schreef in bericht
>I have four PCs .................

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

0
Reply Loes 10/25/2010 8:25:30 PM

On 10/25/2010 05:04 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
> I have four PCs...

I have five! :D
0
Reply Magno 10/25/2010 8:28:36 PM

"Magno"  wrote in message news:ks5hp7-0t8.ln1@news.newsgroup.cl...

On 10/25/2010 05:04 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
> I have four PCs...

I have five! :D

And at least one is running Windows in case you really want to accomplish
something.  Linux is sort of the black sheep second cousin to real
computing.

0
Reply RickyBobby 10/25/2010 8:57:33 PM

On 10/25/2010 04:04 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
> I have four PCs and they all have the same thing on them which is sort
> of like overkill.
>
> 1) i7 powerhouse main computer
>
> 2) Celeron less powerhouse backup computer
>
> 3) HP notebook
>
> 4) Toshiba netbook. But the netbook now has 4Gb of RAM and a big ass
> hard drive so it is like a real computer. It has one of those dual cored
> Athlon CPU instead of that do nothing Intel Ion which is better off in a
> smartphone. I had to buy external speakers for the netbook because the
> included speakers are as much as inaudible. But I like it a lot once I
> got it upgraded and I have an iPhone but the screen is too small to use
> like a computer even though it can be used that way and a lot of people
> get good results with it. I like Apple because they always make good
> stuff that works and is durable and does not break down.
>
> So I heard some good stuff about Ubuntu distro of Linux so I am ready to
> give it a try for now. I have voted against the dual boot option and I
> am going to wipe out the hard drive with a utility called Kill Disc or
> something like that and while that is running I will download and burn
> me that Ubuntu.
>
> Now the backup computer kit is just a Celeron E3300 Wolfdale Dual Core
> and a meager 2GB of DDR2 800 RAM. Also an nVidia series 9 video card and
> some brand X PPIA multichannel sound card with digital optical out. I do
> not use computer speakers on my real computers, I use a receiver and big
> whomping wooden speakers and subwoofers. Like Polk Audio and JBL and
> Klipsch bookshelf speakers and center channel speakers and subwoofers so
> I can get rocking sound to listen to Lady Gaga and the Black Eyed Peas
> and modern pop music as well as watching DVD movies. I do not expect the
> Ubuntu to be able to cipher out the digital optical out sound card but
> that will have to be okay and I will have maybe no sound.
>
> I have a couple of wireless network cards and I am going to be clever
> and plug them both into the USB ports and see if the Ubuntu can run at
> least one of them. If not, I will not have no internet either unless I
> move the PC to the router or the router to the PC. But that would be a
> lot of trouble wire wires and cables and plugs so if the Ubuntu cannot
> recognize any of the wireless thingies I guess I will just be dead in
> the water. And I am going to have to move the printer to a real computer
> which is another pain in the neck if I want to print anything.
>
> I wish the people who make hardware would get down off their high horse
> and put Linux drivers on the CD. That would make life a lot simpler.
>
> But at least I am trying. I used to be able to post worthless nonsense
> to the Usenet forum in native Linux and I am fixing to try to do it
> again. Wish me luck.

I have 8 computers, just stacked here on, and by, my desk, on KVM
switches! No, none run the virus magnet million virus Microsoft crap.

   Even the 2 Mac G4 systems are loaded with Linux!

Then, there are 16 in the hall, ready to go, with another ten out at the
entry.

Most were free gifts, given in thanks for my Linux advocacy among
schools, churches, and businesses.

I use them on installations, when the owners, executives and managers
get disgusted with the expenses involved in Microsoft annual licenses,
and the huge labor expense to get all the Microsoft crapware cleaned out.

Always, without exception, have an IPCOP box at the internet entry,
before the local network switch.

0
Reply Truck1 (6) 10/25/2010 10:09:35 PM

"Big Red Truck"  wrote in message

> [...]
>
> But at least I am trying. I used to be able to post worthless nonsense
> to the Usenet forum in native Linux and I am fixing to try to do it
> again. Wish me luck.

I have 8 computers, just stacked here on, and by, my desk, on KVM
switches! No, none run the virus magnet million virus Microsoft crap.

   Even the 2 Mac G4 systems are loaded with Linux!

Then, there are 16 in the hall, ready to go, with another ten out at the
entry.

Most were free gifts, given in thanks for my Linux advocacy among
schools, churches, and businesses.

I use them on installations, when the owners, executives and managers
get disgusted with the expenses involved in Microsoft annual licenses,
and the huge labor expense to get all the Microsoft crapware cleaned out.

Always, without exception, have an IPCOP box at the internet entry,

Big Red Truck,

It sounds like you are really into your computers.  I do not know about the
IPCOP box at the internet entry, before the local network switch, but it
sounds like a good thing.

I, personally, am not so much into computers and the hard core do it right
stuff.  I just mainly use them for entertainment and news and music
listening and music.  But, again, that is just me.

I can see how somebody who is really into some serious stuff with no wasted
time and money would prefer the Linux OS.  It is hard core computing with no
wasted clock cycles.

I am going to get me some of that Ubuntu distro and put it on one little old
computer machine and see if I can get caught up.  I have been reading up on
the technical stuff and I think a dual core Celeron CPU and 2 Gb of old DDR2
800 memory might hit the minimum requirements.  Not quite sure about that
but you never know until you try.

0
Reply nascar42 (444) 10/25/2010 11:22:42 PM

On 10/25/2010 05:57 PM, RickyBobby wrote:

> "Magno" wrote in message news:ks5hp7-0t8.ln1@news.newsgroup.cl...
>
> On 10/25/2010 05:04 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
>> I have four PCs...
>
> I have five! :D
>
> And at least one is running Windows in case you really want to
> accomplish something...

Uhm... let me think...

nop.
0
Reply Magno 10/25/2010 11:37:20 PM

On Oct 25, 4:22=A0pm, "RickyBobby" <nasca...@cox.net> wrote:
> [...]
>
> I, personally, am not so much into computers and the hard core do it righ=
> stuff. =A0I just mainly use them for entertainment and news and music
> listening and music. =A0But, again, that is just me.
>
> I can see how somebody who is really into some serious stuff with no wast=
ed
> time and money would prefer the Linux OS. =A0It is hard core computing wi=
th no
> wasted clock cycles.
>
> I am going to get me some of that Ubuntu distro and put it on one little =
old
> computer machine and see if I can get caught up. =A0I have been reading u=
p on
> the technical stuff and I think a dual core Celeron CPU and 2 Gb of old D=
DR2
> 800 memory might hit the minimum requirements. =A0Not quite sure about th=

It depends on what you do.  I have several Linux systems with just 1GB
and that is plenty for almost everything I do.
0
Reply nessuno7491 (871) 10/26/2010 2:05:35 PM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 117220 articles. 8 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Linux "advocates" go postal once more
A BBC technology blogger harassed by crazy Linux zealots because he made a booboo while chatting about Ubuntu's launch. http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2009/10/24_hours_with_ubuntu.html ,---- | On Wednesday morning I was on BBC Breakfast talking about Windows 7, and | each time I was on air I mentioned Ubuntu, the most popular version of | the Linux operating system. | | So were its devoted fans pleased? | | Quite the opposite, because in my second broadcast I committed an | unpardonable sin. | | In a rather clumsily phrased sentence - my only excuse is that it came | in the m...

See the Linux Advocates At Work. So are you going to depend on them for support?
Take a loke at the Logitech MX 610 mouse thread. See th insults? See the accusations? See the babies crying for their pablum? THIS, is LINUX. THIS is YOUR support structure when you have troubles with Linux, and you will. See the try XYZ distribution? See the accusations of being stupid? See the sour grapes (this mouse sucks, when every review of this mouse is +) See anything factual? I don't...... In fact I see a collection of rabid zealots trying to defend their miserable OS. Look, the point is the mouse does not, cannot and will not work with Linux and if it can be MADE to fun...

Linux "advocates'" reputations precede them everywhere they go
"Linux Share By SLiM on 02.12.2008 - 19:12 linux linus oh whatever. you are saying 00.83% as if it were 83.00% lol. a typical linux luser!!!" http://keznews.com/5117_Linux_and_Mac_OS_X_Killing_Windows_Bit_by_Bit ...

Why are Linux "advocates" lying pieces of crap everywhere they go?
I don't know why - it's kind of a rhetorical question. But here's some more evidence they are: This is BigRedTruck (previously Linuxiac of cola), lying about Windows in a wrestling group in Oct 2009: "In the consecutive processing (baby steps) Micro$oft plan, every application / window is halted except the one actually in use." http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.pro-wrestling/msg/6e701b27c12d3c75?hl=en On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 18:43:21 -0400, DFS wrote: > I don't know why - it's kind of a rhetorical question. > > But here's some more evid...

Go Linux Go!
OS, June 2003, June 2004, change in market share % ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- Win XP, 32.8, 51.2, +18.4 Win 2000, 40.4, 29.6, -10.8 Win 98, 13.4, 8.0, -5.4 Win NT, 5.4, 2.0, -3.4 Win 95, 0.6, 0.3, -0.3 Windows, 92.6, 92.1, -0.5 Linux, 2.3, 2.9, +0.6 Mac, 1.8, 2.5, +0.7 Other, 3.3, 3.5, +0.2 Total, 100, 100, nmf http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp (OS Platform Statistics) The website says "The statistics above are extracted from W3Schools' log-files, but we are also monitoring other sources around the Internet to ...

Linux a go-go?
Has anyone quaintly thought of preloading a HD (like a 0662) with a linux distro? I have little enthusiasm for futzing with creating a build. Is there someone with enough intelligence to create a PS/2 centric install program or macro or script to enable a Micro$eft to successfully install a nix and get it online? -- Reply to ohland@charter.net Louis Ohland wrote: > Has anyone quaintly thought of preloading a HD (like a 0662) with a > linux distro? > > I have little enthusiasm for futzing with creating a build. .... or even reading the news? *g* > I...

Linux advocate (as opposed to "advocate") supports 1% Linux user share
http://thepcspy.com/read/one-percent-myth-is-pretty-accurate/ Dumb Willie, get in here and tell us how MS says in their SEC filing that Linux user share is up to 14%. On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 19:37:02 -0400, DFS wrote: > http://thepcspy.com/read/one-percent-myth-is-pretty-accurate/ > > > Dumb Willie, get in here and tell us how MS says in their SEC filing > that Linux user share is up to 14%. The comments are hysterical..... Of course the Linturds are blaming it on a Microsoft conspiracy. ...

Why companies are NOT going to go linux....
They have way to much invested in .NET development to change. It is not going to happen. On 2008-07-25, Psyc Geek (TAB) <psycgeeks@yahoo.com> wrote: > They have way to much invested in .NET development to change. > It is not going to happen. You make it sound like these companies have been using .NET for decades. Obviously they haven't. So the same things that prompted them to switch to .NET can cause them to switch from .NET. -- Truth is irrelevant as long as the predictions are good. ||| / | \ P...

[News] 3 New Audiocasts: Going Linux, Linux Outlaws, Linux Basement