Going to advocate Linux again

I have four PCs and they all have the same thing on them which is sort of
like overkill.

1) i7 powerhouse main computer

2) Celeron less powerhouse backup computer

3) HP notebook

4) Toshiba netbook.  But the netbook now has 4Gb of RAM and a big ass hard
drive so it is like a real computer.  It has one of those dual cored Athlon
CPU instead of that do nothing Intel Ion which is better off in a
smartphone.  I had to buy external speakers for the netbook because the
included speakers are as much as inaudible. But I like it a lot once I got
it upgraded and I have an iPhone but the screen is too small to use like a
computer even though it can be used that way and a lot of people get good
results with it.  I like Apple because they always make good stuff that
works and is durable and does not break down.

So I heard some good stuff about Ubuntu distro of Linux so I am ready to
give it a try for now.  I have voted against the dual boot option and I am
going to wipe out the hard drive with a utility called Kill Disc or
something like that and while that is running I will download and burn me
that Ubuntu.

Now the backup computer kit is just a Celeron E3300 Wolfdale Dual Core and a
meager 2GB of DDR2 800 RAM.  Also an nVidia series 9 video card and some
brand X PPIA multichannel sound card with digital optical out.  I do not use
computer speakers on my real computers, I use a receiver and big whomping
wooden speakers and subwoofers.  Like Polk Audio and JBL and Klipsch
bookshelf speakers and center channel speakers and subwoofers so I can get
rocking sound to listen to Lady Gaga and the Black Eyed Peas and modern pop
music as well as watching DVD movies.  I do not expect the Ubuntu to be able
to cipher out the digital optical out sound card but that will have to be
okay and I will have maybe no sound.

I have a couple of wireless network cards and I am going to be clever and
plug them both into the USB ports and see if the Ubuntu can run at least one
of them.  If not, I will not have no internet either unless I move the PC to
the router or the router to the PC.  But that would be a lot of trouble wire
wires and cables and plugs so if the Ubuntu cannot recognize any of the
wireless thingies I guess I will just be dead in the water.  And I am going
to have to move the printer to a real computer which is another pain in the
neck if I want to print anything.

I wish the people who make hardware would get down off their high horse and
put Linux drivers on the CD.  That would make life a lot simpler.

But at least I am trying.  I used to be able to post worthless nonsense to
the Usenet forum in native Linux and I am fixing to try to do it again.
Wish me luck.

0
RickyBobby
10/25/2010 8:04:39 PM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 120664 articles. 14 followers. Post Follow

"RickyBobby" <nascar42@cox.net> schreef in bericht
>I have four PCs .................

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

0
Loes
10/25/2010 8:25:30 PM
On 10/25/2010 05:04 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
> I have four PCs...

I have five! :D
0
Magno
10/25/2010 8:28:36 PM

"Magno"  wrote in message news:ks5hp7-0t8.ln1@news.newsgroup.cl...

On 10/25/2010 05:04 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
> I have four PCs...

I have five! :D

And at least one is running Windows in case you really want to accomplish
something.  Linux is sort of the black sheep second cousin to real
computing.

0
RickyBobby
10/25/2010 8:57:33 PM
On 10/25/2010 04:04 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
> I have four PCs and they all have the same thing on them which is sort
> of like overkill.
>
> 1) i7 powerhouse main computer
>
> 2) Celeron less powerhouse backup computer
>
> 3) HP notebook
>
> 4) Toshiba netbook. But the netbook now has 4Gb of RAM and a big ass
> hard drive so it is like a real computer. It has one of those dual cored
> Athlon CPU instead of that do nothing Intel Ion which is better off in a
> smartphone. I had to buy external speakers for the netbook because the
> included speakers are as much as inaudible. But I like it a lot once I
> got it upgraded and I have an iPhone but the screen is too small to use
> like a computer even though it can be used that way and a lot of people
> get good results with it. I like Apple because they always make good
> stuff that works and is durable and does not break down.
>
> So I heard some good stuff about Ubuntu distro of Linux so I am ready to
> give it a try for now. I have voted against the dual boot option and I
> am going to wipe out the hard drive with a utility called Kill Disc or
> something like that and while that is running I will download and burn
> me that Ubuntu.
>
> Now the backup computer kit is just a Celeron E3300 Wolfdale Dual Core
> and a meager 2GB of DDR2 800 RAM. Also an nVidia series 9 video card and
> some brand X PPIA multichannel sound card with digital optical out. I do
> not use computer speakers on my real computers, I use a receiver and big
> whomping wooden speakers and subwoofers. Like Polk Audio and JBL and
> Klipsch bookshelf speakers and center channel speakers and subwoofers so
> I can get rocking sound to listen to Lady Gaga and the Black Eyed Peas
> and modern pop music as well as watching DVD movies. I do not expect the
> Ubuntu to be able to cipher out the digital optical out sound card but
> that will have to be okay and I will have maybe no sound.
>
> I have a couple of wireless network cards and I am going to be clever
> and plug them both into the USB ports and see if the Ubuntu can run at
> least one of them. If not, I will not have no internet either unless I
> move the PC to the router or the router to the PC. But that would be a
> lot of trouble wire wires and cables and plugs so if the Ubuntu cannot
> recognize any of the wireless thingies I guess I will just be dead in
> the water. And I am going to have to move the printer to a real computer
> which is another pain in the neck if I want to print anything.
>
> I wish the people who make hardware would get down off their high horse
> and put Linux drivers on the CD. That would make life a lot simpler.
>
> But at least I am trying. I used to be able to post worthless nonsense
> to the Usenet forum in native Linux and I am fixing to try to do it
> again. Wish me luck.

I have 8 computers, just stacked here on, and by, my desk, on KVM
switches! No, none run the virus magnet million virus Microsoft crap.

   Even the 2 Mac G4 systems are loaded with Linux!

Then, there are 16 in the hall, ready to go, with another ten out at the
entry.

Most were free gifts, given in thanks for my Linux advocacy among
schools, churches, and businesses.

I use them on installations, when the owners, executives and managers
get disgusted with the expenses involved in Microsoft annual licenses,
and the huge labor expense to get all the Microsoft crapware cleaned out.

Always, without exception, have an IPCOP box at the internet entry,
before the local network switch.

0
Truck1 (6)
10/25/2010 10:09:35 PM

"Big Red Truck"  wrote in message

> [...]
>
> But at least I am trying. I used to be able to post worthless nonsense
> to the Usenet forum in native Linux and I am fixing to try to do it
> again. Wish me luck.

I have 8 computers, just stacked here on, and by, my desk, on KVM
switches! No, none run the virus magnet million virus Microsoft crap.

   Even the 2 Mac G4 systems are loaded with Linux!

Then, there are 16 in the hall, ready to go, with another ten out at the
entry.

Most were free gifts, given in thanks for my Linux advocacy among
schools, churches, and businesses.

I use them on installations, when the owners, executives and managers
get disgusted with the expenses involved in Microsoft annual licenses,
and the huge labor expense to get all the Microsoft crapware cleaned out.

Always, without exception, have an IPCOP box at the internet entry,

Big Red Truck,

It sounds like you are really into your computers.  I do not know about the
IPCOP box at the internet entry, before the local network switch, but it
sounds like a good thing.

I, personally, am not so much into computers and the hard core do it right
stuff.  I just mainly use them for entertainment and news and music
listening and music.  But, again, that is just me.

I can see how somebody who is really into some serious stuff with no wasted
time and money would prefer the Linux OS.  It is hard core computing with no
wasted clock cycles.

I am going to get me some of that Ubuntu distro and put it on one little old
computer machine and see if I can get caught up.  I have been reading up on
the technical stuff and I think a dual core Celeron CPU and 2 Gb of old DDR2
800 memory might hit the minimum requirements.  Not quite sure about that
but you never know until you try.

0
nascar42 (444)
10/25/2010 11:22:42 PM
On 10/25/2010 05:57 PM, RickyBobby wrote:

> "Magno" wrote in message news:ks5hp7-0t8.ln1@news.newsgroup.cl...
>
> On 10/25/2010 05:04 PM, RickyBobby wrote:
>> I have four PCs...
>
> I have five! :D
>
> And at least one is running Windows in case you really want to
> accomplish something...

Uhm... let me think...

nop.
0
Magno
10/25/2010 11:37:20 PM
On Oct 25, 4:22=A0pm, "RickyBobby" <nasca...@cox.net> wrote:
> [...]
>
> I, personally, am not so much into computers and the hard core do it righ=
> stuff. =A0I just mainly use them for entertainment and news and music
> listening and music. =A0But, again, that is just me.
>
> I can see how somebody who is really into some serious stuff with no wast=
ed
> time and money would prefer the Linux OS. =A0It is hard core computing wi=
th no
> wasted clock cycles.
>
> I am going to get me some of that Ubuntu distro and put it on one little =
old
> computer machine and see if I can get caught up. =A0I have been reading u=
p on
> the technical stuff and I think a dual core Celeron CPU and 2 Gb of old D=
DR2
> 800 memory might hit the minimum requirements. =A0Not quite sure about th=

It depends on what you do.  I have several Linux systems with just 1GB
and that is plenty for almost everything I do.
0
nessuno7491 (871)

Expense, where did it go?
I recently upgraded from a Palm III to a Palm m130 and I can not find the Expense app on the m130. The desktop component is there, but is pretty useless with out the Palm app to go with it. Does anyone know where I can get the original Expense app for the m130? Thanks. David Szlucha On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 23:22:17 GMT, David Szlucha wrote: > I recently upgraded from a Palm III to a Palm m130 and I can not find the > Expense app on the m130. The desktop component is there, but is pretty > useless with out the Palm app to go with it. Does anyone know where I can > get ...

[News] Advocating Free Software in the Enterprise
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink ,----[ Quote ] | I worked with a different small business that was replacing all their | PC's. This company chose to use FOSS productivity applications. They | used the money saved to purchase more advanced hardware than originally | planned. They were enthusiastic about the opportunities they perceived: | free software, free upgrades and spending their limited funds elsewhere. `---- http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/you_can_lead_a_horse_to_water_but_you_cant_make_it_drink http://tinyurl.com/yhmanb Here's an Amer...

syms in Linux
Any way to get this working in Linux ? EDU>> syms x EDU>> f = 1/(5+4*cos(x)) Unable to load mex file: /home/Desktop/folder/MSJVC/toolbox/symbolic/maplemex.mexglx. /home/Desktop/folder/MSJVC/toolbox/symbolic/maplemex.mexglx: symbol errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference ??? Invalid MEX-file Error in ==> /home/Desktop/folder/MSJVC/toolbox/symbolic/maple.m On line 116 ==> [result,status] = maplemex(statement); Error in ==> /home/Desktop/folder/MSJVC/toolbox/symbolic/@sym/maple.m On line 74 ==> [result,status...

Re: Re: Rekall and associated software go 100% GPL
Peter Hansen <peter@engcorp.com> wrote: > > Tim Churches wrote: > > > > On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 06:59, John Dean wrote: > > > It gives me great pleasure to inform you that Rekall, the > cross-platform > > > alternative to MS Access, is now totally GPL. So please visit > > > http://www.totalrekall.co.uk and download download a copy for > yourself. > > > > This is most welcome news, but in the light of the recent, often > > confusing (or confused) discussion on this list over Rekall and the > > Kompany, could Shawn...

questions on datasource on Linux
Hi. When I run the example from samples/db on windows, I get to see a list of databases from the ODBC parameter settings window. But when I run the same sample on Linux, there arent any. I think I need to set something up on the Linux machine. On windows, i can set up databases/datasource from the Control Panel->Admin Tools->Data Source ODBC. What is then the equalivant for Linux? Any one? Are there some kind of simple tool to do that? Thanks a bunch!!! --------------------------------------------------------------------- Please read http://www.wxwindows.org/mlhowto.h...

Going... Going... Going...
It seems that a lot of my List-O-Wares has been claimed. Will update ASAP Evif wrote: > > It seems that a lot of my List-O-Wares has been claimed. Will update ASAP Rather than "spamming" this group, why not keep your posts confined to ONE thread, hey ?!?! ...

qt +linux
hi :) i've something like this class Klasa1 { Q_OBJECT private: public: public slots: ��������void�funkcja();� }; class KlasaDialog : public QDialog { private: ��������QDialog�*dlg; ��������QComboBox�*box; public: ��������KlasaDialog(QWidget�*parent) ��������{ ����������������dlg=new�QDialog(parent,"nazwa"); ����������������box=new�QComboBox(dlg,"nazwa_combo"); //important ����������������connect(box,SIGNAL(activated(int)),�this,�SLOT(jakas_funkcja())); ��������} public slots: ��������int�jakas_funkcja(); }; void Klasa1::funkcja1() { ��������KlasaDialog�dialog(this...

(",) Do You Want To Know For Sure You Are Going To Heaven? #2
http://www.want-to-be-sure.blogspot.com << Click On Link ...

Installing Linux
This post might probably seem stupid to many of you veterans in here, however, I built-up enough courage to ask the one main question on my mind: "Can someone help me with installing LINUX on my PC?" I have an Intel 845 Chipset Motherboard with an AMD Athlon processor & 384MB DDR RAM. I use Windows XP presently, however I now want to switch to Linux. Just wanted to get all the help I could. Many thanx! -Jason. go ahead and start from here, http://www.linux.org/docs/beginner/install.html if you come accross something you cant understand/solve/maintain - jump back here and ask...

SW04 and GeForce2 GO
Never had any serious problems with SW03, but now it seems that something is different with 04, very slow with 2 windows opened. I haven't tested yet is it the material definations that use all the power available or what but something has to be done..So I played little bit with Rivatuner yesterday and got quite nice results...only problem is that when I tell my Dell 8100 that, "yes there is Quadro inside of you now", the driver gives me only 1280x1024 resolution instead of 1400x.. which is the best for 8100. So, is there a way to have bigger resolution? I couldn't f...

A new reader? Welcome to comp.os.linux.setup, read this first if you're new here (FAQ) #367
Netiquette 2007-07#3 New reader? Great! Welcome! Here's how to make best use of this newsgroup and get yourself a slice of the best help available. Now read on ... TESTING YOUR CONNECTION Errm, first a delicate point. Often users accessing a forum like this for the first time don't realize that posts don't show up immediately, certainly not for several minutes, and maybe not for some hours. In the old days, it took as long as the camel bearing the news took! So they tend to post "test" ...

I go U go /We go
1. Which are the best of these systems.... # I go U go # We go ....and are there differences also in those categories? 2. Which is the most fun for web-gaming? Morgan O. Morgan Ohlson wrote: > 1. Which are the best of these systems.... > # I go U go > # We go Age of Wonders II/SM, for instance, support both modes. Some people prefer the former, others the latter. Personally, I prefer the "I go, you go" system when playing against the computer, and "we go" when playing against a human opponent. Choice is good. M....

Freshly reinstalled Linux crapware freezes before the login screen
"I re-installed 9.04 fresh. What do I get when the system rebooted agter install? Yup, you guessed it. It froze just before the login screen." #517 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1135055&highlight=freeze&page=52 Linux just works Linux is reliable Linux is perfect for laptops and desktops ...

[Ann] The Falcon Programming Language
The Falcon Programming Language is a free, open source, general purpose untyped language, based on a Virtual Machine executing portable pseudo code, completely written in C++. Falcon differentiates from other "scripting languages" because it is developed constantly taking into consideration the following mandatory goals: � � * Simple but elegant grammar � � * Extremely fast Virtual Machine � � * Easily embeddable in any kind of application � � * Easily extensible and maintainable � � * Fully multiplatform � � * Completely internationalized The code base of Falcon Programming Langu...

IRTC going out of business?
Any truth to the rumor? Does this mean the povray team is disolving? -- Regardless of the article of faith among the ignorant the charge a Christ killer towards Jews is almost totally absent from Christian history, literature and rhetoric. Amazing how such false claims become articles of faith. -- The Iron Webmaster, 3195 Program ended abnormally on 03/08/2004 23:52, Due to a catastrophic Matt Giwer error: > Any truth to the rumor? What rumor? > > Does this mean the povray team is disolving? > What has one hypothetically happening have with ...

[News] Loads of Dell Systems to Boot GNU/Linux

[News] 10 Reason to Ditch Microsoft Windows and Go With Linux
This is a very detailed multi-part article. Below is the gist: ,----[ Quote ] | 1. Default security settings | 2. Desktop usability | 3. Installing software | | [...] `---- http://en.jakilinux.org/gnu/10-reasons-to-dump-windows-part-i/ ...

arm-9tdmi-linux-gnu-g++ #2
Dear all=A3=AC I need your help. Now I compile my project with cross-compiler arm-9tdmi-linux- gnu-g++, but got a message : float except. I use vmware on the windows xp os. The linux os is FC4. Thank you very much On Sep 13, 12:34 pm, AksenXu <scut.xusu...@gmail.com> wrote: > Dear all=A3=AC > I need your help. > Now I compile my project with cross-compiler arm-9tdmi-linux- > gnu-g++, but got a message : float except. I use vmware on the windows > xp os. The linux os is FC4. Thank you very much Can you compile other files using the ...

LINUX: getOpenFile filetypes
Further to my previous post "limiting getOpenFile filetypes" is there anyone running LINUX who can try this script and see if they get a list of ".ps*" and ".eps*", or only ".ps" and ".eps" as the windows guys seem to get? And then if you can offer any suggestion as to why that happens ...? use warnings; use strict; use Tk; my $file_to_print = MainWindow->new; my $types = [ ['Postscript Files', ['.ps', '.eps']], ['All Files', '*', ]]; my $prnfile = $file_to_pr...

US-TX-Austin: Storage/Server Tech, OS, W2K/W2K3/Netware/ Linux, 9mos. (45349314412)
US-TX-Austin: Storage/Server Tech, OS, W2K/W2K3/Netware/ Linux, 9mos. (45349314412) =================================================================================== Position: Storage/Server Tech Reference: ZYD00024 Location: Round Rock TX Duration: 9M Skills: Experience in server, storage, and network technologies. Experience with installation/configuration of server OS`s such as W2K/W2K3/Netware/ Linux, RAID, and basic understanding of server hardware are required. Minimum one OS expertise required. ...

Steve Jobs going thru midlife crisis
http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/831.html -- regards, Peter Bj�rn Perls� http://liberterran.org ...

Miro DC30 problems with Linux Video Studio
I donwloaded and installed all the packages from sourceforge at the mjpegtools page. I also downloaded and installed Linux Video Studio. the drivers are working. When I start studio I can get a preview, but I have two problems with it. 1.) When I start it the first time the preview is in colour. As soon as I press the "Initialize Capture" buton, the preview turns Black&White and stays that way. 2.) When I capture Studio shows me all the data as if capturing and it also produces a file. But when I try to run that file through mplayer then I get only a screwed up movie. The image...

Inconsistency in "Linux GUI" debunked
We've seen recently a couple of posters complaining about "the inconsistency of the Linux GUI" again. It has been explained to them that this is no issue within a particular desktop environment like KDE or GNOME. Even funnier is, that this isn't even the case if you use GNOME as your default desktop environment and use KDE4 apps on it. Popular KDE4 apps like Amarok 2 and Krusader come to mind. KDE4 namely provides a style called *gtkstyle* If you install this style, QT4 apps, will look as if they where native GNOME apps. Here is a short article on how it works: http://b...

[News] Google's Mobile Linux Receives a Warm Welcome, Pundits Misunderstand
A Warm Welcome for Google's Android ,----[ Quote | Nearly 200 industry movers recently surveyed said they believe Android-based | mobiles won't make even a small dent during 2008 in the smartphone market, | which is dominated by the Symbian platform, Windows Mobile, and the | BlackBerry. But Android's late arrival on the market doesn't seem to be | weighing heavily on many developers. `---- http://www.crm-daily.com/story.xhtml?story_id=11200B0HSHZ4 It has been amazing how many journalists simply didn't understand how it all works. Interesting notes from the Chumb...

Go Vista Go!!! GO GO!!
Vista the number 1 selling OS of ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!! wooohoooooooooooo Welcome to comp.sys.vista.envy Enjoy your stay! ...