Hello I'm a Mac, hello I'm Windows and I'm laid off

http://picayune.uclick.com/comics/crgva/2009/crgva090125.gif

indeed listen to.  Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or
          Kelsey Bjarnason, C.O.L.A. 2008
0
linux-2 (2716)

"Terry Porter" <linux-2@netspace.net.au> wrote in message

> http://picayune.uclick.com/comics/crgva/2009/crgva090125.gif

Does that make you happy somehow?

0
acdc (4867)
1/29/2009 12:20:47 AM
amicus_curious wrote:

> "Terry Porter" <linux-2@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
>>
>> http://picayune.uclick.com/comics/crgva/2009/crgva090125.gif
>>
> Does that make you happy somehow?

If I was an American working for Microsoft I think it would make me feel
double-crossed and pissed off.

It seems that Microsoft is sacking Americans at home, but keeping it's
overseas workforce intact, because they are cheaper.

I read that Windows 7 was mainly created in India ?

If I was an American working for Microsoft I would wonder why Bill Gates
with all his billions of dollars, and all of Warren Buffets billions is OK
about me being retrenched after years of hard work and devotion to the
company.

It's ok for Bill Gates to give millions in the name of charity to people
outside America, but doesn't charity *start* at home ?

indeed listen to.  Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or
          Kelsey Bjarnason, C.O.L.A. 2008
0
linux-2 (2716)
1/29/2009 2:21:54 AM
Terry Porter wrote:
> amicus_curious wrote:
>
>> "Terry Porter" <linux-2@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
>>> http://picayune.uclick.com/comics/crgva/2009/crgva090125.gif
>>>
>> Does that make you happy somehow?
>
> If I was an American working for Microsoft I think it would make me feel
> double-crossed and pissed off.
>
> It seems that Microsoft is sacking Americans at home, but keeping it's
> overseas workforce intact, because they are cheaper.
>
> I read that Windows 7 was mainly created in India ?
>
> If I was an American working for Microsoft I would wonder why Bill Gates
> with all his billions of dollars, and all of Warren Buffets billions is OK
> about me being retrenched after years of hard work and devotion to the
> company.
>
> It's ok for Bill Gates to give millions in the name of charity to people
> outside America, but doesn't charity *start* at home ?

Since Microsoft does business world wide and a Microsoft employee in
India, Australia, Japan or anywhere else is just that, a Microsoft
employee, why would it be more acceptable to layoff a non-American based
employee over an American one?  I suspect that the decision to layoff
anyone is not taken lightly no matter where that employee is located.
It might be kind of hard to market your products world wide if you took
a protectionist view rather than a global one.
Terry Porter wrote:
> http://picayune.uclick.com/comics/crgva/2009/crgva090125.gif

1,400 of nearly 100,000.

Does that ratio remind you of anything else?

0
nospam11 (18349)
1/29/2009 4:55:51 AM
On Jan 28, 7:20 pm, "amicus_curious" <A...@sti.net> wrote:
> "Terry Porter" <linu...@netspace.net.au> wrote in message

cute cartoon based on Mac vs PC commercials

>http://picayune.uclick.com/comics/crgva/2009/crgva090125.gif

> Does that make you happy somehow?

One thing that is critical in times of recession and depression is to
be able to provide skills that will help an employer or client become
profitable again.

In the late 1970s those who knew about PCs and could put them to good
business use instead of just writing "BlackJack" games did very well.

In the early 1990s those who understood TCP/|IP and web browsers had
their choice of prime jobs.

In 2001 recession, those who could do secure B2B had critical skills
that were desparately needed.

The "common denominator" was that it was a matter of providig what
businesses needed, an much of that technology was based on UNIX, and
later Linux.

Microsoft decided to make the core selling point of Vista the "Wow" of
fancy 3D graphics, at the cost of performance, and tried to force good
security providers out of the market by bundling their own third-rate
offering.

In effect, Microsoft was programming "BlackJack" when business needed
ways to increase revenue, get better financing, and lower costs.

For those who spent the last year or two putting ALL their eggs in the
Vista basket, they are getting a rude awakening.

Ironically, those who expanded their skills by learning how to do
shell scripting and OSS software on a Mac, or Linux, now have skills
such as improved collaboration and better security and lower
maintenance costs, that are very desirable to businesses.

One problem for the US is that very little money or effort was spent
to promote these technologies here, while other countries put lots of
investment into getting people trained to do Java, Linux, and Unix
programming and administration.  The Bush "Education" program was
encouraging people to get their MCSE certification so he could say he
produced lots of "Engineers".  Even that was poorly funded.

0
rex.ballard (3732)
1/29/2009 12:57:36 PM
Terry Porter wrote:
> http://picayune.uclick.com/comics/crgva/2009/crgva090125.gif

It seems that the cartoonist is unaware that Microsoft is the largest
producer of Mac software.
0
sermomalifer (1135)
1/29/2009 7:01:45 PM
Snit wrote:
> Sermo Malifer stated in post glvo19$58m$3@news.albasani.net on 1/30/09 1:30
> PM:
>
>> Snit wrote:
>>> Sinister Midget stated in post or3c56-hgi.ln1@home.harry.net on 1/30/09 1:17
>>> PM:

>>> I did not.
>> But you do recognize "SnOT" to be a reference to you.
>
> Gee, it is such a clever bastardization of my online name... LOL!  So
> creative... so seldom used by trolls.

Okay, so we're all in agreement that Snit is synonymous with Sn0T.

> Give me a break.

Which of your limbs would you like broken?
0
sermomalifer (1135)
1/29/2009 7:09:09 PM
After takin' a swig o' grog, Sermo Malifer belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

> Terry Porter wrote:
>> http://picayune.uclick.com/comics/crgva/2009/crgva090125.gif
>
> It seems that the cartoonist is unaware that Microsoft is the largest
> producer of Mac software.

What do you mean?  That Microsoft is the largest company that produces Mac
software?  That it produces the most titles of Mac software?  That it
generates the most revenue selling Mac software?

--
Aliquid melius quam pessimum optimum non est.
0
On 2009-01-29, Sermo Malifer <sermomalifer@noemail.com> claimed:
> Terry Porter wrote:
>> http://picayune.uclick.com/comics/crgva/2009/crgva090125.gif
>
> It seems that the cartoonist is unaware that Microsoft is the largest
> producer of Mac software.

Office (dumbed-down in the last version). What else? They no longer put
out IE, so that's out.

I guess you never heard of Adobe. Here's a short list:

http://www.amazon.com/My-Favorite-Mac-Products/lm/R2RNHSOLJV24XZ

Here's a lot longer one here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/

You're welcome.

--
Bring Windows to its knees: start an application.
0
Sinister Midget wrote:
> On 2009-01-29, Sermo Malifer <sermomalifer@noemail.com> claimed:
>> Terry Porter wrote:
>>> http://picayune.uclick.com/comics/crgva/2009/crgva090125.gif
>> It seems that the cartoonist is unaware that Microsoft is the largest
>> producer of Mac software.
>
> Office (dumbed-down in the last version).

That's enough by itself.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/Office2008/default.mspx

> I guess you never heard of Adobe.

Your guess is incorrect.

<snip>
0
sermomalifer (1135)
1/29/2009 9:27:29 PM
Rex Ballard wrote:
> On Jan 28, 7:20 pm, "amicus_curious" <A...@sti.net> wrote:
>> "Terry Porter" <linu...@netspace.net.au> wrote in message

> cute cartoon based on Mac vs PC commercials
>
>> http://picayune.uclick.com/comics/crgva/2009/crgva090125.gif
>
>> Does that make you happy somehow?
>
> One thing that is critical in times of recession and depression is to
> be able to provide skills that will help an employer or client become
> profitable again.

True

> In the late 1970s those who knew about PCs and could put them to good
> business use instead of just writing "BlackJack" games did very well.

So did the mainframers do very well, and they are still doing very well,
since mainframes are still there pushing those transations.

> In the early 1990s those who understood TCP/|IP and web browsers had
> their choice of prime jobs.

So, you think that IT was about TCP/IP and web browsers. The whole of IT
is not centered around WEB centric business solutions.

> In 2001 recession, those who could do secure B2B had critical skills
> that were desparately needed.

This was not true. No one was desperately needed. It was the employee's
game, and if one had the needed skill set, experience and expertise,
then that was the determining factors as to being hired very quickly or
one had to wait until the economy got better or leave the IT field al
together.

> The "common denominator" was that it was a matter of providig what
> businesses needed, an much of that technology was based on UNIX, and
> later Linux.

What business needed was solid business solutions from IT, plain and simple.

> Microsoft decided to make the core selling point of Vista the "Wow" of
> fancy 3D graphics, at the cost of performance, and tried to force good
> security providers out of the market by bundling their own third-rate
> offering.

You do not know what you are talking about here.

> In effect, Microsoft was programming "BlackJack" when business needed
> ways to increase revenue, get better financing, and lower costs.

I really don't know how you are coming up with this nonsense, since I
suspect that you have never looked under the hood of Vista to even know
what it is about? It's only what you have heard other's say, which seem
to be the negative, and you have never gone and looked for yourself.

> For those who spent the last year or two putting ALL their eggs in the
> Vista basket, they are getting a rude awakening.

No, I am not getting a rude awakening. I'll choose the Vista O/S over
any previous versions of the NT based workstation platform, Linux or
whatever. You do not know what you're talking about.

> Ironically, those who expanded their skills by learning how to do
> shell scripting and OSS software on a Mac, or Linux, now have skills
> such as improved collaboration and better security and lower
> maintenance costs, that are very desirable to businesses.

Where not here in the US?

> One problem for the US is that very little money or effort was spent
> to promote these technologies here, while other countries put lots of
> investment into getting people trained to do Java, Linux, and Unix
> programming and administration.  The Bush "Education" program was
> encouraging people to get their MCSE certification so he could say he
> produced lots of "Engineers".  Even that was poorly funded.

Silliness, as I make a good living using MS and .NET technologies, which
I know you know nothing about it or what is currently happening with the
technology.
Rex Ballard wrote:

<snipped>

<I have to make a correction here.>

 > In 2001 recession, those who could do secure B2B had critical skills
 > that were desparately needed.

This was not true. No one was desperately needed. It was the employer's
game, and if one had the needed skill set, experience and expertise,
then that was the determining factors as to being hired very quickly or
one had to wait until the economy got better or leave the IT field all
together.
On 2009-01-29, Sermo Malifer <sermomalifer@noemail.com> claimed:
> Sinister Midget wrote:
>>> It seems that the cartoonist is unaware that Microsoft is the largest
>>> producer of Mac software.
>>
>> Office (dumbed-down in the last version).
>
> That's enough by itself.
>
>> What else? They no longer put
>> out IE, so that's out.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/Office2008/default.mspx
>
>> I guess you never heard of Adobe.
>
> Your guess is incorrect.

The I guess your claim above was foolish and/or without thought, since
Adobe alone puts out more software for Mac than MICROS~1. Then ther's
Apple which puts out more than MICROS~1 and Adobe combined.

You're welcome.

--
Windows - Where user apps destroy your OS.
0
Sinister Midget wrote:
> On 2009-01-29, Sermo Malifer <sermomalifer@noemail.com> claimed:
>> Sinister Midget wrote:
>>> On 2009-01-29, Sermo Malifer <sermomalifer@noemail.com> claimed:
>>> Office (dumbed-down in the last version).
>> That's enough by itself.
>>
>>> What else? They no longer put
>>> out IE, so that's out.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/Office2008/default.mspx
>>
>>> I guess you never heard of Adobe.
>> Your guess is incorrect.
>>

> The I guess your claim above was foolish and/or without thought,

Once again your guess is incorrect.

> since
> Adobe alone puts out more software for Mac than MICROS~1.

You're wrong.

> Then ther's
> Apple which puts out more than MICROS~1 and Adobe combined.

You're wrong again.

Microsoft is a larger company than Adobe, and sells a larger volume of
software to Mac owners.   Hence they are the largest supplier of Mac
software.

Apple and Adobe sell software to niche markets that don't have anywhere
near the sales volume of MS-Office, or VirtualPC, or MediaPlayer for
Mac, or several other M$ products.

> You're welcome.

You didn't earn any thanks.
0
sermomalifer (1135)
1/30/2009 4:44:02 PM
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> After takin' a swig o' grog, Sermo Malifer belched out
>   this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> Terry Porter wrote:
>>> http://picayune.uclick.com/comics/crgva/2009/crgva090125.gif
>> It seems that the cartoonist is unaware that Microsoft is the largest
>> producer of Mac software.
>
> What do you mean?  That Microsoft is the largest company that produces Mac
> software?

Yes.

> That it produces the most titles of Mac software?

No, but the titles it does produce have the highest sales volume of Mac
software.

> That it
> generates the most revenue selling Mac software?

Yes, and that's why M$ produces Mac software, because it makes them a
lot of money!
0
sermomalifer (1135)
1/30/2009 4:46:19 PM
On 2009-01-30, Sermo Malifer <sermomalifer@noemail.com> claimed:
> Sinister Midget wrote:

>> The I guess your claim above was foolish and/or without thought,
>
> Once again your guess is incorrect.
>
>> since
>> Adobe alone puts out more software for Mac than MICROS~1.
>
> You're wrong.
>
>> Then ther's
>> Apple which puts out more than MICROS~1 and Adobe combined.
>
> You're wrong again.
>
> Microsoft is a larger company than Adobe, and sells a larger volume of
> software to Mac owners.   Hence they are the largest supplier of Mac
> software.
>
> Apple and Adobe sell software to niche markets that don't have anywhere
> near the sales volume of MS-Office, or VirtualPC, or MediaPlayer for
> Mac, or several other M$ products.
>
>> You're welcome.
>
> You didn't earn any thanks.

Sorry. I didn't realize Sn0T had nym-shifted.

--
It's a shame Linux has such difficulty running some of the more popular
Windows applications: Nimda, CodeRed, Klez, Bagle, WPA, Mytob,
Sinister Midget stated in post or3c56-hgi.ln1@home.harry.net on 1/30/09 1:17
PM:

> On 2009-01-30, Sermo Malifer <sermomalifer@noemail.com> claimed:
>> Sinister Midget wrote:
>
>>> The I guess your claim above was foolish and/or without thought,
>>
>> Once again your guess is incorrect.
>>
>>> since
>>> Adobe alone puts out more software for Mac than MICROS~1.
>>
>> You're wrong.
>>
>>> Then ther's
>>> Apple which puts out more than MICROS~1 and Adobe combined.
>>
>> You're wrong again.
>>
>> Microsoft is a larger company than Adobe, and sells a larger volume of
>> software to Mac owners.   Hence they are the largest supplier of Mac
>> software.
>>
>> Apple and Adobe sell software to niche markets that don't have anywhere
>> near the sales volume of MS-Office, or VirtualPC, or MediaPlayer for
>> Mac, or several other M$ products.
>>
>>> You're welcome.
>>
>> You didn't earn any thanks.
>
> Sorry. I didn't realize Sn0T had nym-shifted.

I did not.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

0
CSMA2 (14734)
1/30/2009 8:27:37 PM
Snit wrote:
> Sinister Midget stated in post or3c56-hgi.ln1@home.harry.net on 1/30/09 1:17
> PM:

>>> Once again your guess is incorrect.

>>> You're wrong.

>>> You're wrong again.
>>>
>>> Microsoft is a larger company than Adobe, and sells a larger volume of
>>> software to Mac owners.   Hence they are the largest supplier of Mac
>>> software.
>>>
>>> Apple and Adobe sell software to niche markets that don't have anywhere
>>> near the sales volume of MS-Office, or VirtualPC, or MediaPlayer for
>>> Mac, or several other M$ products.

>>> You didn't earn any thanks.
>> Sorry. I didn't realize Sn0T had nym-shifted.
>
> I did not.

But you do recognize "SnOT" to be a reference to you.
0
sermomalifer (1135)
1/30/2009 8:30:32 PM
Sermo Malifer stated in post glvo19$58m$3@news.albasani.net on 1/30/09 1:30
PM:

> Snit wrote:
>> Sinister Midget stated in post or3c56-hgi.ln1@home.harry.net on 1/30/09 1:17
>> PM:
>>
>>> On 2009-01-30, Sermo Malifer <sermomalifer@noemail.com> claimed:

>>> Sorry. I didn't realize Sn0T had nym-shifted.
>>
>> I did not.
>
> But you do recognize "SnOT" to be a reference to you.

Gee, it is such a clever bastardization of my online name... LOL!  So
creative... so seldom used by trolls.

Give me a break.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

0
CSMA2 (14734)
1/30/2009 8:47:17 PM
Sermo Malifer stated in post gm03ck$jei$2@news.albasani.net on 1/29/09 12:09
PM:

> Snit wrote:
>> Sermo Malifer stated in post glvo19$58m$3@news.albasani.net on 1/30/09 1:30
>> PM:

>>> But you do recognize "SnOT" to be a reference to you.
>>
>> Gee, it is such a clever bastardization of my online name... LOL!  So
>> creative... so seldom used by trolls.
>
> Okay, so we're all in agreement that Snit is synonymous with Sn0T.
>
>> Give me a break.
>
> Which of your limbs would you like broken?

I hope you succeed in making a point in your next post.  Good luck!

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

0
CSMA2 (14734)
1/30/2009 11:54:09 PM
After takin' a swig o' grog, Sermo Malifer belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

> Snit wrote:
>
>> Give me a break.
>
> Which of your limbs would you like broken?

Huh?  His head is also eligible!

--
transparent, adj.:
	Being or pertaining to an existing, nontangible object.
On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 13:21:54 +1100, Terry Porter wrote:

> If I was an American working for Microsoft I would wonder why Bill Gates
> with all his billions of dollars, and all of Warren Buffets billions is
> OK about me being retrenched after years of hard work and devotion to
> the company.
>
> It's ok for Bill Gates to give millions in the name of charity to people
> outside America, but doesn't charity *start* at home ?

Employment as a charity case?  Not even the communists went that far.

-Thufir

0
hawat.thufir (2846)
2/2/2009 8:32:39 AM
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 19:46:30 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Sermo Malifer belched out
>   this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> Snit wrote:
>>
>>> Give me a break.
>>
>> Which of your limbs would you like broken?
>
> Huh?  His head is also eligible!

I don't think you could break his rock head even if you used dynamite!  :D
0
sermomalifer (1135)