High-Energy Linux: Linux & the Large Hadron Collider

<Quote>
The biggest, most powerful atom smasher the world has ever seen, the
LHC (Large Hadron Collider), with its 17-mile underground loop and
TeVs (Teraelectronvolts) of proton beams, is finally up and running,
with Linux in control...

That's right. The LHC runs on Linux. To be exact, its uses a modified
version of Scientific Linux, which in turn is based on RHEL (Red Hat
Enterprise Linux).

This distribution's name says it all. Scientific Linux is meant for
use by large research labs such as CERN and the U.S.'s equivalent high-
energy physics group, Fermilab. Its main goal is to allow scientists
to easily customize it by using scripts and Red Hat/Fedora's Anaconda
installer. This lets every lab create its own custom distributions
with minimal effort while retaining compatibility with the base
distribution.

With the LHC, CERN will be using it to manage both the systems
themselves and to make sense of the 15 petabytes -- that's 15 million
gigabytes -- of data the LHC is expected to generate every year.
Fortunately, Linux is great at super-computing.

CERN is also using Scientific Linux to run its LCG (LHC Computing
Grid). The LHC isn't the fastest computer in the world, but it may set
the record for being the biggest computer the world has ever seen,
since it's made up of more than 100,000 processors from over 170 sites
in 34 countries. There are bigger distributed grid computing efforts,
such as the search for extra-terrestrial life SETI@home project and
the protein analysis Folding@home project, but the Linux-powered LCG
is probably the largest dedicated distributed grid computing
project....

I don't know about you, but I'm really pleased to see Linux and open-
source software working hand-in-glove with perhaps the most important
science project of the 21st century to date. When it comes to the
really hard jobs, whether it's supercomputing, managing stock market
trades in real time, or gigantic experimental projects, Linux is the
way to go.
</Quote>

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15202/high_energy_linux_linux_the_large_hadron_collider
0
nessuno7491 (870)

nessuno pulled this Usenet boner:

> <Quote>
> The biggest, most powerful atom smasher the world has ever seen, the
> LHC (Large Hadron Collider), with its 17-mile underground loop and
> TeVs (Teraelectronvolts) of proton beams, is finally up and running,
> with Linux in control...
>
> That's right. The LHC runs on Linux. To be exact, its uses a modified
> version of Scientific Linux, which in turn is based on RHEL (Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux).
>
> This distribution's name says it all. Scientific Linux is meant for
> use by large research labs such as CERN and the U.S.'s equivalent high-
> energy physics group, Fermilab. Its main goal is to allow scientists
> to easily customize it by using scripts and Red Hat/Fedora's Anaconda
> installer. This lets every lab create its own custom distributions
> with minimal effort while retaining compatibility with the base
> distribution.
>
> With the LHC, CERN will be using it to manage both the systems
> themselves and to make sense of the 15 petabytes -- that's 15 million
> gigabytes -- of data the LHC is expected to generate every year.
> Fortunately, Linux is great at super-computing.
>
> CERN is also using Scientific Linux to run its LCG (LHC Computing
> Grid). The LHC isn't the fastest computer in the world, but it may set
> the record for being the biggest computer the world has ever seen,
> since it's made up of more than 100,000 processors from over 170 sites
> in 34 countries. There are bigger distributed grid computing efforts,
> such as the search for extra-terrestrial life SETI@home project and
> the protein analysis Folding@home project, but the Linux-powered LCG
> is probably the largest dedicated distributed grid computing
> project....
>
> I don't know about you, but I'm really pleased to see Linux and open-
> source software working hand-in-glove with perhaps the most important
> science project of the 21st century to date. When it comes to the
> really hard jobs, whether it's supercomputing, managing stock market
> trades in real time, or gigantic experimental projects, Linux is the
> way to go.
> </Quote>
>
> http://blogs.computerworld.com/15202/high_energy_linux_linux_the_large_hadron_collider

   You can join the LHC@home project by clicking the link.

(Makes me chuckle).

--
Executive ability is prominent in your make-up.
0

____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Monday 07 Dec 2009 23:11 : \____

> nessuno pulled this Usenet boner:
>
>> <Quote>
>> The biggest, most powerful atom smasher the world has ever seen, the
>> LHC (Large Hadron Collider), with its 17-mile underground loop and
>> TeVs (Teraelectronvolts) of proton beams, is finally up and running,
>> with Linux in control...
>>
>> That's right. The LHC runs on Linux. To be exact, its uses a modified
>> version of Scientific Linux, which in turn is based on RHEL (Red Hat
>> Enterprise Linux).
>>
>> This distribution's name says it all. Scientific Linux is meant for
>> use by large research labs such as CERN and the U.S.'s equivalent high-
>> energy physics group, Fermilab. Its main goal is to allow scientists
>> to easily customize it by using scripts and Red Hat/Fedora's Anaconda
>> installer. This lets every lab create its own custom distributions
>> with minimal effort while retaining compatibility with the base
>> distribution.
>>
>> With the LHC, CERN will be using it to manage both the systems
>> themselves and to make sense of the 15 petabytes -- that's 15 million
>> gigabytes -- of data the LHC is expected to generate every year.
>> Fortunately, Linux is great at super-computing.
>>
>> CERN is also using Scientific Linux to run its LCG (LHC Computing
>> Grid). The LHC isn't the fastest computer in the world, but it may set
>> the record for being the biggest computer the world has ever seen,
>> since it's made up of more than 100,000 processors from over 170 sites
>> in 34 countries. There are bigger distributed grid computing efforts,
>> such as the search for extra-terrestrial life SETI@home project and
>> the protein analysis Folding@home project, but the Linux-powered LCG
>> is probably the largest dedicated distributed grid computing
>> project....
>>
>> I don't know about you, but I'm really pleased to see Linux and open-
>> source software working hand-in-glove with perhaps the most important
>> science project of the 21st century to date. When it comes to the
>> really hard jobs, whether it's supercomputing, managing stock market
>> trades in real time, or gigantic experimental projects, Linux is the
>> way to go.
>> </Quote>
>>
>> http://blogs.computerworld.com/15202/high_energy_linux_linux_the_large_hadron_collider
>
>    You can join the LHC@home project by clicking the link.
>
> (Makes me chuckle).

They say Linux is only good for experiments...

Oh, it is.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

[Unihttp://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

0
newsgroups3 (79677)
12/8/2009 1:54:53 AM
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> They say Linux is only good for experiments...
>
> Oh, it is.

Time for Quack to jump in and say something demeaning about the collider
now...

--
Regards,
Don Zeigler

....Gotta run, the cat's caught in the printer.
0
donzeigler (50)
12/8/2009 2:34:03 AM
nessuno wrote:
> <Quote>
> The biggest, most powerful atom smasher the world has ever seen, the
> LHC (Large Hadron Collider), with its 17-mile underground loop and
> TeVs (Teraelectronvolts) of proton beams, is finally up and running,
> with Linux in control...
>
> That's right. The LHC runs on Linux. To be exact, its uses a modified
> version of Scientific Linux, which in turn is based on RHEL (Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux).
>
> This distribution's name says it all. Scientific Linux is meant for
> use by large research labs such as CERN and the U.S.'s equivalent high-
> energy physics group, Fermilab. Its main goal is to allow scientists
> to easily customize it by using scripts and Red Hat/Fedora's Anaconda
> installer. This lets every lab create its own custom distributions
> with minimal effort while retaining compatibility with the base
> distribution.
>
> With the LHC, CERN will be using it to manage both the systems
> themselves and to make sense of the 15 petabytes -- that's 15 million
> gigabytes -- of data the LHC is expected to generate every year.
> Fortunately, Linux is great at super-computing.
>
> CERN is also using Scientific Linux to run its LCG (LHC Computing
> Grid). The LHC isn't the fastest computer in the world, but it may set
> the record for being the biggest computer the world has ever seen,
> since it's made up of more than 100,000 processors from over 170 sites
> in 34 countries. There are bigger distributed grid computing efforts,
> such as the search for extra-terrestrial life SETI@home project and
> the protein analysis Folding@home project, but the Linux-powered LCG
> is probably the largest dedicated distributed grid computing
> project....
>
> I don't know about you, but I'm really pleased to see Linux and open-
> source software working hand-in-glove with perhaps the most important
> science project of the 21st century to date. When it comes to the
> really hard jobs, whether it's supercomputing, managing stock market
> trades in real time, or gigantic experimental projects, Linux is the
> way to go.
> </Quote>
>
> http://blogs.computerworld.com/15202/high_energy_linux_linux_the_large_hadron_collider

   Wonder how bad these people would have gotten raped by some EULA...

--
Norman
Registered Linux user #461062
Don Zeigler <donzeigler@geeeeeeeeemail.com.fixtheobvious> writes:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> They say Linux is only good for experiments...
>>
>> Oh, it is.
>
> Time for Quack to jump in and say something demeaning about the collider
> now...

Huh? Why?

You live in your own little world Don.

Open the basement door and look out ....

0
hadronquark (21814)
12/8/2009 7:28:31 AM
>That's right. The LHC runs on Linux. To be exact, its uses a modified
>version of Scientific Linux, which in turn is based on RHEL (Red Hat
>Enterprise Linux).

"Just what the world needs - another half arsed distro."  -  True
Linux advocate" Hadron Quark

0
chrisv (22840)
12/8/2009 4:33:26 PM
chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> writes:

>>That's right. The LHC runs on Linux. To be exact, its uses a modified
>>version of Scientific Linux, which in turn is based on RHEL (Red Hat
>>Enterprise Linux).
>
> "Just what the world needs - another half arsed distro."  -  True
> Linux advocate" Hadron Quark

And your point is?

Are you mentally deranged?

Here's a hint moron : Cern do not use gNewSense or "Mint" for important
tasks ....

Scientific Linux is well established and supported throughout the
scientific establishments of the world. It is NOT another half arsed,
half supported wet dream of some far cellar dweller such as yourself :-;

0
hadronquark (21814)
12/8/2009 4:37:33 PM
On 8/12/2009 16:33, above the shrieking & FUDding of the trolls, chrisv
was heard to say:

>>That's right. The LHC runs on Linux. To be exact, its uses a modified
>>version of Scientific Linux, which in turn is based on RHEL (Red Hat
>>Enterprise Linux).
>
> "Just what the world needs - another half arsed distro."  -  True
> Linux advocate" Hadron Quark

Hehhehhehheh!

--
COLE's LAW - Thinly sliced cabbage.

0
wp7043 (446)
12/8/2009 4:38:32 PM
William Poaster <wp@kubuntu-jaunty64.org> writes:

> On 8/12/2009 16:33, above the shrieking & FUDding of the trolls, chrisv
> was heard to say:
>

>>>That's right. The LHC runs on Linux. To be exact, its uses a modified
>>>version of Scientific Linux, which in turn is based on RHEL (Red Hat
>>>Enterprise Linux).
>>
>> "Just what the world needs - another half arsed distro."  -  True
>> Linux advocate" Hadron Quark
>
> Hehhehhehheh!

More like "what are you talking about".

0
hadronquark (21814)
12/8/2009 4:40:43 PM
On 2009-12-08, Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> wrote:

> chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> writes:
>
>>>That's right. The LHC runs on Linux. To be exact, its uses a modified
>>>version of Scientific Linux, which in turn is based on RHEL (Red Hat
>>>Enterprise Linux).
>>
>> "Just what the world needs - another half arsed distro."  -  True
>> Linux advocate" Hadron Quark
>
> And your point is?
>
> Are you mentally deranged?
>
> Here's a hint moron : Cern do not use gNewSense or "Mint" for important
> tasks ....
>
> Scientific Linux is well established and supported throughout the

    ...Linux is Linux.

    It's either all well established or none of it is. No one has a secret
ingredient that they can keep from the rest of us. At best, some people may
chose to adopt certain things a little sooner than others might.

> scientific establishments of the world. It is NOT another half arsed,
> half supported wet dream of some far cellar dweller such as yourself :-;

    ...not that you are in any position to comment one way or the other.

--
	On the subject of kilobyte being "redefined" to mean 1000 bytes...

        When I was a wee lad, I was taught that SI units were        |||
        meant to be computationally convenient rather than just     / | \
	arbitrarily assigned.
0
jedi (14754)
12/8/2009 5:58:07 PM
Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> wrote:
> chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> writes:
>
>>>That's right. The LHC runs on Linux. To be exact, its uses a modified
>>>version of Scientific Linux, which in turn is based on RHEL (Red Hat
>>>Enterprise Linux).
>>
>> "Just what the world needs - another half arsed distro."  -  True
>> Linux advocate" Hadron Quark
>
> And your point is?
>
> Are you mentally deranged?
>
> Here's a hint moron : Cern do not use gNewSense or "Mint" for important
> tasks ....

How would using either of those for "important tasks" cause any problems?

> Scientific Linux is well established and supported throughout the
> scientific establishments of the world. It is NOT another half arsed,
> half supported wet dream of some far cellar dweller such as yourself :-;

Scientific Linux is nothing but re-branded RHEL.

0
owl (2215)
12/8/2009 6:20:47 PM
owl <owl@rooftop.invalid> writes:

> Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> "Just what the world needs - another half arsed distro."  -  True
>>> Linux advocate" Hadron Quark
>>
>> And your point is?
>>
>> Are you mentally deranged?
>>
>> Here's a hint moron : Cern do not use gNewSense or "Mint" for important
>> tasks ....
>
> How would using either of those for "important tasks" cause any
> problems?

Who knows? The point is that neither are long enough in the tooth or
have enough of a user base to pick for a system demanding known
reliability.

>> Scientific Linux is well established and supported throughout the
>> scientific establishments of the world. It is NOT another half arsed,
>> half supported wet dream of some far cellar dweller such as yourself :-;
>>

> Scientific Linux is nothing but re-branded RHEL.

Exactly. It does not try to reinvent the wheel.

0
hadronquark (21814)
12/8/2009 6:23:35 PM
Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> wrote:
> owl <owl@rooftop.invalid> writes:
>
>> Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> And your point is?
>>>
>>> Are you mentally deranged?
>>>
>>> Here's a hint moron : Cern do not use gNewSense or "Mint" for important
>>> tasks ....
>>
>> How would using either of those for "important tasks" cause any
>> problems?
>
> Who knows? The point is that neither are long enough in the tooth or
> have enough of a user base to pick for a system demanding known
> reliability.

What does the age or size of the userbase have to do with anything?
I would say it's more important to pay attention to the versions and
patch levels of the relevant included software when deciding on a
distribution.

>>> Scientific Linux is well established and supported throughout the
>>> scientific establishments of the world. It is NOT another half arsed,
>>> half supported wet dream of some far cellar dweller such as yourself :-;
>>>

>> Scientific Linux is nothing but re-branded RHEL.
>
> Exactly. It does not try to reinvent the wheel.

But if I slurped the same source and re-branded it "Cellar Dwellar" it
would somehow be unsafe for CERN to use?

0
owl (2215)
12/8/2009 6:49:07 PM
owl wrote:

> Quack snotted:
>>
>> And your point is?

My point is that you're a stupid asshole, Quack.

>> Are you mentally deranged?
>>
>> Here's a hint moron : Cern do not use gNewSense or "Mint" for important
>> tasks ....
>
>How would using either of those for "important tasks" cause any problems?

Don't confuse the poor Wintroll.

>> Scientific Linux is well established and supported throughout the
>> scientific establishments of the world. It is NOT another half arsed,
>> half supported wet dream of some far cellar dweller such as yourself :-;

>Scientific Linux is nothing but re-branded RHEL.

But it must have been approved by Hadron Quark's "OSS Culling
Committee"....

0
chrisv (22840)
12/8/2009 6:57:11 PM
owl <owl@rooftop.invalid> writes:

> Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> wrote:
>> owl <owl@rooftop.invalid> writes:

>>> How would using either of those for "important tasks" cause any
>>> problems?
>>
>> Who knows? The point is that neither are long enough in the tooth or
>> have enough of a user base to pick for a system demanding known
>> reliability.
>>

> What does the age or size of the userbase have to do with anything?

That should be blindingly obvious.

> I would say it's more important to pay attention to the versions and
> patch levels of the relevant included software when deciding on a
> distribution.

And how well it's been seen to last : see above.

>>> Scientific Linux is nothing but re-branded RHEL.
>>
>> Exactly. It does not try to reinvent the wheel.
>>

> But if I slurped the same source and re-branded it "Cellar Dwellar" it
> would somehow be unsafe for CERN to use?

Pretty much because its coming from somewhere not verifiably competent
IMO.

They can utilise the RHEL maintenance logs etc. Your own rebranding makes
yet another step and complication and worry.

0
hadronquark (21814)
12/8/2009 7:01:30 PM
chrisv stated in post q38th5tjubtc3ttjoq42l288imjhu1bhfj@4ax.com on 12/8/09
11:57 AM:

> owl wrote:
>
>> Quack snotted:
>>>
>>> And your point is?
>
> My point is that you're a stupid asshole, Quack.

Ah, you do not want to talk about Linux so you spew insults.

>>> Are you mentally deranged?
>>>
>>> Here's a hint moron : Cern do not use gNewSense or "Mint" for important
>>> tasks ....
>>
>> How would using either of those for "important tasks" cause any problems?
>
> Don't confuse the poor Wintroll.
>
>>> Scientific Linux is well established and supported throughout the
>>> scientific establishments of the world. It is NOT another half arsed,
>>> half supported wet dream of some far cellar dweller such as yourself :-;
>
>> Scientific Linux is nothing but re-branded RHEL.
>
> But it must have been approved by Hadron Quark's "OSS Culling
> Committee"....

And it is clear why you do not want to talk about Linux.  OK.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

0
usenet2 (47889)
12/8/2009 7:02:06 PM
chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> writes:

> owl wrote:
>
>> Quack snotted:
>>>
>>> And your point is?
>
> My point is that you're a stupid asshole, Quack.
>
>>> Are you mentally deranged?
>>>
>>> Here's a hint moron : Cern do not use gNewSense or "Mint" for important
>>> tasks ....
>>
>>How would using either of those for "important tasks" cause any problems?
>
> Don't confuse the poor Wintroll.
>
>>> Scientific Linux is well established and supported throughout the
>>> scientific establishments of the world. It is NOT another half arsed,
>>> half supported wet dream of some far cellar dweller such as yourself :-;
>
>>Scientific Linux is nothing but re-branded RHEL.
>
> But it must have been approved by Hadron Quark's "OSS Culling
> Committee"....

For a stable OS for scientific research, err, yes. Some fanboi twit like
you saying "its great" is probably not really enough ....

0
hadronquark (21814)
12/8/2009 7:14:13 PM
On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 12:57:11 -0600, chrisv wrote:

> owl wrote:
>
>> Quack snotted:
>>>
>>> And your point is?
>
> My point is that you're a stupid asshole, Quack.
>
>>> Are you mentally deranged?
>>>
>>> Here's a hint moron : Cern do not use gNewSense or "Mint" for important
>>> tasks ....
>>
>>How would using either of those for "important tasks" cause any problems?
>
> Don't confuse the poor Wintroll.

Too late, teh M$ fanboi's already confused. Seems your quote went right
over his head! ;-)

>>> Scientific Linux is well established and supported throughout the
>>> scientific establishments of the world. It is NOT another half arsed,
>>> half supported wet dream of some far cellar dweller such as yourself
>>> :-;
>
>>Scientific Linux is nothing but re-branded RHEL.
>
> But it must have been approved by Hadron Quark's "OSS Culling
> Committee"....

Pffffffffffttt. :-p

--
Linux. The Malicious Software Removal
tool which wipes Windows from your PC in

0
wp4494 (18)
12/8/2009 7:19:07 PM
Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> wrote:
> owl <owl@rooftop.invalid> writes:
>
>> Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Who knows? The point is that neither are long enough in the tooth or
>>> have enough of a user base to pick for a system demanding known
>>> reliability.
>>>

>> What does the age or size of the userbase have to do with anything?
>
> That should be blindingly obvious.

Well, apparently it's not blindingly obvious, or I wouldn't have asked
for clarification.  Care to actually answer the question instead of
side-stepping?

>> I would say it's more important to pay attention to the versions and
>> patch levels of the relevant included software when deciding on a
>> distribution.
>
> And how well it's been seen to last : see above.

How well what's been seen to last?  You mean some particular
not-invented-here package that Red Hat chooses to bundle as
part of RHEL?

>>> Exactly. It does not try to reinvent the wheel.
>>>

>> But if I slurped the same source and re-branded it "Cellar Dwellar" it
>> would somehow be unsafe for CERN to use?
>
> Pretty much because its coming from somewhere not verifiably competent
> IMO.

Red Hat is not competent now?

> They can utilise the RHEL maintenance logs etc. Your own rebranding makes
> yet another step and complication and worry.

I can utilise the same logs.  My distro would be exactly like theirs --
slurped from Red Hat.  But mine would be better, because it originates
in a basement -- underground, just like the LHC.

0
owl (2215)
12/8/2009 7:30:34 PM

0
newsgroups3 (79677)
12/9/2009 1:31:37 AM
Roy Schestowitz pulled this Usenet boner:

> ____/ chrisv on Tuesday 08 Dec 2009 16:33 : \____
>
>> "Just what the world needs - another half arsed distro."  -  True
>> Linux advocate" Hadron Quark
>
> How about:
>
> "Just what the distro needs - another half arsed 'Hadron'."  -  World

"Hadron" isn't half arsed.   He's full arsed.

--
Q:	What's the difference betweeen USL and the Graf Zeppelin?
A:	The Graf Zeppelin represented cutting edge technology for its time.
On Dec 8, 6:14=A0pm, Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstr...@launchmodem.com> wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz pulled this Usenet boner:
>
> > ____/ chrisv on Tuesday 08 Dec 2009 16:33 : \____
>
> >> "Just what the world needs - another half arsed distro." =A0- =A0True
> >> Linux advocate" Hadron Quark
>
> > How about:
>
> > "Just what the distro needs - another half arsed 'Hadron'." =A0- =A0Wor=
ld

> "Hadron" isn't half arsed. =A0 He's full arsed.
>
> --
> Q: =A0 =A0 =A0What's the difference betweeen USL and the Graf Zeppelin?
> A: =A0 =A0 =A0The Graf Zeppelin represented cutting edge technology for i=
ts time.

A friend of mine wanted to see if his advisor would really read his
dissertation, so he inserted a sentence, "We have gathered a vast
amount of data, but we have only half-vast ideas of what to do with
it."
0
nessuno7491 (870)
12/9/2009 2:48:14 PM
"William Poaster" <wp@mylinux.machines.org> schreef in bericht
> On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 12:57:11 -0600, chrisv wrote:
>
>> owl wrote:
>>
>>> Quack snotted:

>> My point is that you're a stupid asshole, Quack.

>>>How would using either of those for "important tasks" cause any problems?
>>
>> Don't confuse the poor Wintroll.
>
> Too late, teh M$ fanboi's already confused. Seems your quote went right
> over his head! ;-)

>>>Scientific Linux is nothing but re-branded RHEL.
>>
>> But it must have been approved by Hadron Quark's "OSS Culling
>> Committee"....
>
> Pffffffffffttt. :-p

The sound of a deflating ego, eh Willy-tard?

0
amanda (95)
12/9/2009 3:39:26 PM
owl wrote:

> Hadron quacked:
>>
>> owl writes:
>>>
>>> What does the age or size of the userbase have to do with anything?
>>
>> That should be blindingly obvious.

What is "blindingly obvious" is your hatred of Linux and FOSS that
competes with your beloved Micro$oft Corp, "Hadron".

>Well, apparently it's not blindingly obvious, or I wouldn't have asked
>for clarification.  Care to actually answer the question instead of
>side-stepping?

Like many Windolts, "Hadron" thinks it's real important to be "part of
the herd".  Hell, the stupid shit won't even use a spreadsheet if it's
not popular-enough!

--
"Why would he use that? Almost nobody uses that."  -  "True Linux
advocate" Hadron Quark, questioning why anyone would use gnumeric
chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> writes:

> owl wrote:
>
>> Hadron quacked:

>>> That should be blindingly obvious.
>
> What is "blindingly obvious" is your hatred of Linux and FOSS that
> competes with your beloved Micro$oft Corp, "Hadron".

Nothing I said equates to any hatred for FOSS you lunatic.

>>Well, apparently it's not blindingly obvious, or I wouldn't have asked
>>for clarification.  Care to actually answer the question instead of
>>side-stepping?

It is blindingly obvious. And if you cant see how a large organisation
is not going to put their money on a potentially fly by night distro
then you're a dumb arse. I don't think you ARE a dumb arse so your rather
strange reluctance to accept this obvious fact is somewhat surprising.

> Like many Windolts, "Hadron" thinks it's real important to be "part of
> the herd".  Hell, the stupid shit won't even use a spreadsheet if it's
> not popular-enough!

Herd? What are you talking about? It's as if you have an "insult" dice
that you throw occasionally.

0
hadronquark (21814)
12/9/2009 4:58:41 PM

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

Why linux is linux

I have Linux! I have Linux!

My Linux is not your Linux

Linux Brochure Project (LBP)--Linux Advocacy & Publicity
Your organization may be interested in the Linux Brochure Project hosted on SourceForge. This project was developed because the Victoria Linux User Group (VLUG) wanted to produce their brochure using open source tools rather than proprietary ones. We registered it at SourceForge so that any Linux LUG and other advocacy groups could use the software to produce their own brochure. This project has been written up by LWN (http://lwn.net/Articles/51938/). See below for project details. Barbara Irwin Publicity Coordinator, VLUG ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The Linux Brochure Project (LBP) is GPLed data and software which is used to document key Linux information in a standard-size brochure (two sides of a single letter-sized or A4 sheet of paper that is Z-folded into the six mini-pages of the brochure). Four key features of this project make it an excellent advocacy and publicity tool for LUGS and Linux organizations: 1) the project data and software are GPLed; 2) all software tools used to build the LBP brochures are open source; 3) the brochure can be customized to fit individual requirements of LUGs and other Linux organizations; and 4) the software produces an attractive brochure. Currently there are two versions of the brochure -- a "Linus" version, which features famous quotes from Linus and a VLUG version, which has been adopted as the Victoria Linux Users Group official brochure...

[News] Hadrons Running on GNU/Linux, "Linux is our OS of choice"

ROX Linux and ROX on OS X and arm linux
Hi I've just just done some searches on Google for ROX linux, and ROX on other platforms. I've not managed to find anything. Is ROX available for OS X? Is ROX available for Acorn\Iyonix Arm linux? Did ROX Linux ever come to anything? I was a member of the mailing list a while ago, it started off interesting and then seemed to go off on a tangent then it all went quiet. It seemed like an excellent idea, a linux distro structured like RISC OS. It would have been an ideal compliment to a RISC OS system, same UI but different set of applications (probably not quite so consistent as we are used to though). It could also have been a life boat if RISC OS were ever to grind to a halt. Presumably some sorts of common apps (python perhaps) would have been possible and if RISCOSE or similar were to be developed too, the possibilities would be even greater. Do others consider it would have been desirable? -- Jess Iyonix contact http://jess.itworkshop-nexus.net Hotmail is my spam trap - don't email valid - mailto:nospam@jess.itworkshop-nexus.net In message <729a59544e.jess@itworkshop.invalid> Jess <phantasm_39@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hi > > I've just just done some searches on Google for ROX linux, and ROX on > other platforms. > These starting points might help. http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&q=ROX filer desktop http://rox.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/ http://rox.sourceforg...

[News] [Linux] Linux Has Advantage in the Mobile OS World
How Linux morphed from a server to a mobile OS ,----[ Quote ] | When evaluating Linux as a possible OS candidate, it is important to | remember that the Linux "model" for mobile devices is horizontal. That | is, Linux is not presented as a vertically integrated top to bottom | solution for a mobile device supplied by one vendor. | | It's a sharp contrast to the other OS suppliers such as Microsoft | with Windows Mobile, Symbian and PalmSource. These suppliers | support a highly integrated software stack, incorporating not | only an OS but also extensive middleware and application layer | pieces. Arguably the price for such integration is lack of | flexibility and loss of control. `---- http://www.wirelessnetdesignline.com/howto/broadband/199600344;jsessionid=N1IAB5VKZRD0QQSNDLRCKH0CJUNN2JVN http://tinyurl.com/2c3z7z Microsoft taps mobiles for developing world ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft is facing fierce competition from Linux, however, most | notably the One Laptop per Child project to ship low cost | notebooks to schools in developing nations. | | Linux vendor Red Hat unveiled a Global Desktop last week | targeting computers at small and medium sized businesses as | well as governments in third world nations. `---- http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2189936/microsoft-taps-mobile-tech Related: 70 percent of smartphones use Symbian ,----[ Quote ] | At 3GSM it became clear that 70 percent of all smartphones use Symbian. | | Linux accounts for 16.9 perc...

Linux Hardware Compatibility Lists & Linux Drivers
http://www.linux-drivers.org/ ...

Porting linux to vxworks & vxworks to linux Porting
Hi , Does anyone here have information to help/speed up porting from Linux to VxWorks and vice versa. Surely, some should have come across the situation and i would like to get your tips/links/ideas regarding this. Thanks & Regards, karthik bala guru On 18 Feb 2005, bluekarthik@yahoo.com wrote: > Hi , Does anyone here have information to help/speed up porting from > Linux to VxWorks and vice versa. > Surely, some should have come across the situation and i would > like to get your tips/links/ideas regarding this. Posting once is probably enough... There is a v2linux package by MontaVista. Googling v2linux currently turns up, "http://legacy2linux.sourceforge.net/v2linux.html". This is also useful if you develop/host vxWorks on a *nix machine. Instead of using the simulator, you can compile a native application using this compatibility layer. Not sure so much about going from Linux to vxWorks. There is a lot of functionality available in the bigger OSs that is not available in vxWorks. For instance, "fork", "pthreads", "mmap", etc. Genearally, you can steal routines from Linux (like libraries), but it is difficult to take an application. fwiw, Bill Pringlemeir. -- My kid had sex with your honor student. - Bumper Sticker vxWorks FAQ, "http://www.xs4all.nl/~borkhuis/vxworks/vxworks.html" Hi, For porting there are 3 approaches which are common in the industry. 1)Build an abstraction layer abo...

Web resources about - High-Energy Linux: Linux & the Large Hadron Collider - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Safety of high-energy particle collision experiments - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The safety of high energy particle collisions was a topic of widespread discussion and topical interest during the time when the Relativistic ...

Ever wonder how we keep our energy so high? #joblove #coffee #starbucks #ambassadorlove - Flickr - Photo ...
Explore Carolyn Coles' photos on Flickr. Carolyn Coles has uploaded 6228 photos to Flickr.

Boeing - High Energy Laser Mobile Demonstrator (HEL MD) Destroys Mortars Mid-flight [720p] - YouTube
Boeing’s High Energy Laser Mobile Demonstrator (HEL MD) team has used a solid state laser to destroy mortars and Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs). ...

Pain of high energy bills shows in Ernst and Young report
One in three households has missed an electricity bill payment in the past year and one in 10 have skipped three or more, largely because they ...

Fleetwood Mac to bring 'high energy' show to Australia
Fleetwood Mac are bringing their world tour to Australia, so far signing on for seven gigs.

New low-cost, high-energy batteries could be powered by rhubarb, plants
Rhubarb and other simple green plants could be the source of materials for a new generation of batteries with the potential to transform energy ...

Pain of high energy bills shows in Ernst and Young report
One in three households has missed an electricity bill payment in the past year and one in 10 have skipped three or more, largely because they ...

MH17: Dutch investigators say Malaysia Airlines plane brought down by 'large number of high-energy objects' ...
Investigators from the Dutch air safety board release a preliminary report into the MH17 disaster.

Malaysia Airlines MH17 report says jet struck by 'high energy objects'
Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 was likely struck by multiple "high-energy objects from outside the aircraft," causing it to break up over eastern ...

'High-energy objects' likely downed Malaysia Airlines MH17: report
NBCNews.com 'High-energy objects' likely downed Malaysia Airlines MH17: report CTV News HRABOVE, Ukraine A child's jump rope, its yellow handles ...