How-To...Linux Advocacy...

This is a new How-To WRT Linux advocacy.

1. Never admit Linux's faults.
Learn to LIE for LIEnux. If you can't come up with a good lie, then
ignore the post and don't refute it.

2. Blame the user.

3. Blame hardware. Ignore replies where the person claims the same
hardware works fine with Windows.

4. Blame Microsoft. Everyone hates Microsoft so this is usually a good
tactic.

5. Pull the distribution dance. If the person has problems with Mandriva
(and who hasn't?) suggest Ubuntu etc.... You have 500+ different excuses
so you can really run the table with this one. Keep the opponent
guessing!

6. Deny, deny, deny... NEVER admit Linux has a problem...Never.... Argue
tooth and nail until the Linux cabal and Calvary shows up to circle the
wagons around you.

7. If you can't deny, deny, deny then just ignore the thread and let it
stand as is... This works well when you have lying, so called LIEnux
advocates who are obviously lying... This way the opposition can't
accuse you of siding with known liars.

There are 10k more.....
Feel free to add...

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Linux's dismal desktop market share:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html

Desktop Linux on Life Support:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/is-linux-on-the-desktop-dead--961508
0
flatfish (4841)

On 06/18/2011 02:20 AM, flatfish+++ wrote:
> This is a new How-To WRT Linux advocacy.
>
> 1. Never admit Linux's faults.
> Learn to LIE for LIEnux. If you can't come up with a good lie, then
> ignore the post and don't refute it.
I have seen quite opposite in the discussions. I am reading this group
from the start of archives making notes. I have not seen once a blatant
lie from a person advocating Linux. Over optimism maybe....

> 2. Blame the user.
Well as I do nowadays consumer side support incidents - the Windows
users are...ehmm..shall we say little difficult. They suppose that when
they buy a machine they somehow are able to use it without learning
anything. Linux users are typically more technically oriented and easier
to work with. Problem is many people are not willing to learn...it takes
some time and effort.

> 3. Blame hardware. Ignore replies where the person claims the same
> hardware works fine with Windows.
I have never had Linux corrupt itself without a faulty hardware. When I
say newer I mean over ten years, during which I have used it.

Windows...well you newer know will it boot tomorrow or after a crash,
therefore I keep images of Windows disks.

> 4. Blame Microsoft. Everyone hates Microsoft so this is usually a good
> tactic.
I hate it. Hate is dangerous. It causes all kind of problems and one
does not act rationally when in the hate mode. Therefore I try keep
myself in position that I can calmly say "I hate it" - next.
And Microsoft has earned it's reputation all by itself.

> 5. Pull the distribution dance. If the person has problems with Mandriva
> (and who hasn't?) suggest Ubuntu etc.... You have 500+ different excuses
> so you can really run the table with this one. Keep the opponent
> guessing!
I have not seen this used much. And people answering support questions
have their own favorites and recommends them.

I will keep my eyes on this one. Fact is not all distributions are
equal. Best with hardware is probably Knoppix. I use it as a tool.
OpenSUSE which I have used several years after RedHat spun off Fedora,
has worked fine with all my machines. Last time I lost hard drive I
tried to follow the hype of Ubuntu and install it to said machine. It
misinstalled Grub somehow and did not boot.

> 6. Deny, deny, deny... NEVER admit Linux has a problem...Never.... Argue
> tooth and nail until the Linux cabal and Calvary shows up to circle the
> wagons around you.
Linux has many problems. It's market share is not 90%....
Please list Linux's technical problems. I am not a guru but can probably
argue some of them and there are probably lot of more brighter persons
on this list than me.

> 7. If you can't deny, deny, deny then just ignore the thread and let it
> stand as is... This works well when you have lying, so called LIEnux
> advocates who are obviously lying... This way the opposition can't
> accuse you of siding with known liars.
This is same as the above. Could you point out where I have lied. I
might have written something which is not true because I don't know
better but you can have happy hunting.

Kari

- --
PICs, Displays,Relays - USB-SPI-I2C http://www.byvac.com
USB and FPGA boards  http://www.ztex.de

I am just a happy customer
0
karitlaine (1051)
6/18/2011 2:31:02 PM
Kari Laine wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 06/18/2011 02:20 AM, flatfish+++ wrote:
>> This is a new How-To WRT Linux advocacy.
>>
>> 1. Never admit Linux's faults.
>> Learn to LIE for LIEnux. If you can't come up with a good lie, then
>> ignore the post and don't refute it.
> I have seen quite opposite in the discussions. I am reading this group
> from the start of archives making notes. I have not seen once a blatant
> lie from a person advocating Linux. Over optimism maybe....

True.

The funny thing is the trolls pull the exact same "technique" when you point
out Windows flaws... and Windows is supposedly supported not only by
Microsoft, but each and every desktop computer vendor.

With all that support, why is Windows still so problematic?  90% of the
world uses Windows and it still has serious issues.

We need a counter campaign...

   "WhINing for WINdoze"

<grin>

--
   <grin>
0
On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 10:47:39 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> We need a counter campaign...
>
>    "WhINing for WINdoze"
>
> <grin>

What, no <giggle> ?

Did Jayne let you wear men's underwear today instead of a pair of
undies?

You don't need a counter campaign, you need an operating system that
users actually want to use.

Linux is not that operating system.

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Linux's dismal desktop market share:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html

Desktop Linux on Life Support:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/is-linux-on-the-desktop-dead--961508
0
flatfish (4841)
6/18/2011 3:40:02 PM
On 2011-06-18, Kari Laine <karitlaine@yahoo.com> claimed:

> On 06/18/2011 02:20 AM, flatfish+++ wrote:
>> This is a new How-To WRT Linux advocacy.

1.  Killfile Flatfart.

2.  Killfile Flatfart nyms.

3.  Killfile the paths of Flatfart socks

4.  If any Flatfart nyms happen to slip through, killfile them
    immediately.

5.  Killfile DuFuS.

6.  Killfile Quack.

7.  Killfile Clogged Stool.

8.  Killfile Big Stool.

9.  Killfile Snot.

10. Apply the same reasoning to Snot's nyms as applied to Flatfart in 2
    through 4.

11. Avoid endless, pointless trolls not named above, such as
    i'm_a_curiosity. Their sole purpose in existing is to waste time
    and divert topics away from linux's strengths to MICROS~1's
    mediocrity. RayDophead99 is also a waste of time, and wastes time
    admirably.

12. Killfile everything from eieio.

13. Killfile anything coming through any anonymous remailer.

12. See 1 through 13 if there are any questions.

The above is the beginning of a rough draft, of course. The final
verions will have to contain actual steps for advocacy. But those above
need to be first. If they aren't followed, there's no sense in having
anything further.

>> 1. Never admit Linux's faults.

> I have seen quite opposite in the discussions. I am reading this group
> from the start of archives making notes. I have not seen once a blatant
> lie from a person advocating Linux. Over optimism maybe....

As part of the advocacy steps, mention of being honest can be included.
Not that it's necessary to add them, but just to show up front that
there's no need to make things up. Linux has plenty of strengths
without it.

>> 2. Blame the user.

> Well as I do nowadays consumer side support incidents - the Windows
> users are...ehmm..shall we say little difficult. They suppose that when
> they buy a machine they somehow are able to use it without learning
> anything. Linux users are typically more technically oriented and easier
> to work with. Problem is many people are not willing to learn...it takes
> some time and effort.

This is actually a Windummie "advocacy" step, not a linux one. If the
user is at fault, they should certainly be blamed for their own
mistakes. However, things really do go wrong, and facing that goes back
to the honesty part.

However, go to any Windwoes forum, and Windoze newsgroup, even the
Microslop "knowledge" base, and you'll find the user being blamed for a
great many things. And no amount of proof is sufficient to satisfy the
Windope that the problem is real.

One caveat. Windummie trolls google their "problems" and bring them
here. They always coincidentally have just the right hardware to have a
"problem." Sometimes they don't even need that. They make up "problems"
they find on search engines and forums and claim them as their own.
Many times these "problems" have been solved, usually in the same place
they found someone complaining about it. Often it /was/ a user's fault.
Sometimes it was as simple a solution as adding the right package from
a repository. Sometimes it's a minor configuration step that was missed
or is missing. But a lot of the time, when the Windope troll brings the
"problem" here, they would have found it was solved further down the
thread.

The bottom line is, if someone you've never seen post here before comes
here griping about a "problem" they encountered, it's almost always a
troll making things up. They should be treated accordingly, or ignored.
This is an advocacy group. People don't come here looking for help, for
a number of reasons (usenet is dying, there are a lot of "alt" groups
long before "comp" is reached, they already know about mailing lists
online, etc). So chances of an unknown person being here with a
legitimate problem are located slightly south of "slim" and slightly
north of "none".

That's enough to get started on a genuine advocacy howto.

Just ignore the malcontent Flatso. S/H/It has been wasting s/h/it's
time here for 16 years, and that's rapidly reaching its end. MICROS~1
is a dying entity, and Flatti is now too old to get any of those "good"
McDonald's jobs that opened up recently (DuFuS was wise enough to get
into Burger King before things started sinking, so he can get by living
in his mom's basement for awhile; she won't let him starve). The insane
flounder is delusional, and probably believes s/h/it can singlehandedly
save Microscum from ending up in the dumper where it belongs.

--
Don't read everything you believe.
0
flatfish+++ wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> This is a new How-To WRT Linux advocacy.
>
> 1. Never admit Linux's faults.

Bzzzt, wrong file dude.  Here's a good first start:

   1. Plonk Flounder.
   2. Plonk Slimer.
   3. Plonk Mole.
   4. Plonk Squealer.
   5. Plonk Snit.

--
The true Southern watermelon is a boon apart, and not to be mentioned with
commoner things.  It is chief of the world's luxuries, king by the grace of God
Sinister Midget wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> Just ignore the malcontent Flatso. S/H/It has been wasting s/h/it's
> time here for 16 years, and that's rapidly reaching its end. MICROS~1
> is a dying entity, and Flatti is now too old to get any of those "good"
> McDonald's jobs that opened up recently (DuFuS was wise enough to get
> into Burger King before things started sinking, so he can get by living
> in his mom's basement for awhile; she won't let him starve). The insane
> flounder is delusional, and probably believes s/h/it can singlehandedly
> save Microscum from ending up in the dumper where it belongs.

Microsoft isn't going away, so one wonders what the trolls are so fscking
worried about.

--
You can fool some of the people all of the time,
and all of the people some of the time,

> flatfish+++ wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> This is a new How-To WRT Linux advocacy.
>>
>> 1. Never admit Linux's faults.
>
> Bzzzt, wrong file dude.  Here's a good first start:
>
>    1. Plonk Flounder.
>    2. Plonk Slimer.
>    3. Plonk Mole.
>    4. Plonk Squealer.
>    5. Plonk Snit.

+1

--
Windows Breakthrough: It finally booted on the first try.
"Microsoft has vast resources, literally billions of dollars in cash, or liquid assets reserves.
On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 14:48:34 +0100, William Poaster wrote:

>> flatfish+++ wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>>
>>> This is a new How-To WRT Linux advocacy.
>>>
>>> 1. Never admit Linux's faults.
>>
>> Bzzzt, wrong file dude.  Here's a good first start:
>>
>>    1. Plonk Flounder.
>>    2. Plonk Slimer.
>>    3. Plonk Mole.
>>    4. Plonk Squealer.
>>    5. Plonk Snit.
>
> +1

Filters again Geoff Fitton?
Yikes!

That's 4 posts and every one about filters or kill files.

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Linux's dismal desktop market share:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html

Desktop Linux on Life Support:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/is-linux-on-the-desktop-dead--961508
0
flatfish (4841)
6/19/2011 2:19:26 PM
Chris Ahlstrom stated in post itkrk7$d1e$3@dont-email.me on 6/19/11 5:52 AM:

> flatfish+++ wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> This is a new How-To WRT Linux advocacy.
>>
>> 1. Never admit Linux's faults.
>
> Bzzzt, wrong file dude.  Here's a good first start:
>
>    1. Plonk Flounder.
>    2. Plonk Slimer.
>    3. Plonk Mole.
>    4. Plonk Squealer.
>    5. Plonk Snit.

Note to TomB: see... this is the type of empty BS I am in reference to.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

0
usenet2 (47889)
6/19/2011 4:09:59 PM
On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 09:09:59 -0700, Snit wrote:

> Chris Ahlstrom stated in post itkrk7$d1e$3@dont-email.me on 6/19/11 5:52 AM:
>
>> flatfish+++ wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>>
>>> This is a new How-To WRT Linux advocacy.
>>>
>>> 1. Never admit Linux's faults.
>>
>> Bzzzt, wrong file dude.  Here's a good first start:
>>
>>    1. Plonk Flounder.
>>    2. Plonk Slimer.
>>    3. Plonk Mole.
>>    4. Plonk Squealer.
>>    5. Plonk Snit.
>
> Note to TomB: see... this is the type of empty BS I am in reference to.

The problem with these Linux loons is that they see themselves in what I
write.
They know that most of what I wrote in the OP is the truth but they will
never admit it so they change the subject of the thread thinking it
makes them some kind of superior person.

I laugh at it.
It's like something a 9 year old would do.

Here is the original post.
Judge for yourself how many of these tactics get used in COLA to
"advocate" Linux.

*****************How-To...Linux Advocacy 101********

[...]

6/19/2011 4:15:41 PM
flatfish+++ stated in post 1pcp9ed30jg39.1chwb9tezx9q9.dlg@40tude.net on
6/19/11 9:15 AM:

> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 09:09:59 -0700, Snit wrote:
>
>> Chris Ahlstrom stated in post itkrk7$d1e$3@dont-email.me on 6/19/11 5:52 AM:

>>> Bzzzt, wrong file dude.  Here's a good first start:
>>>
>>>    1. Plonk Flounder.
>>>    2. Plonk Slimer.
>>>    3. Plonk Mole.
>>>    4. Plonk Squealer.
>>>    5. Plonk Snit.
>>
>> Note to TomB: see... this is the type of empty BS I am in reference to.
>
> The problem with these Linux loons is that they see themselves in what I
> write.
> They know that most of what I wrote in the OP is the truth but they will
> never admit it so they change the subject of the thread thinking it
> makes them some kind of superior person.
>
> I laugh at it.
> It's like something a 9 year old would do.
>

> Here is the original post.
> Judge for yourself how many of these tactics get used in COLA to
> "advocate" Linux.
>
> *****************How-To...Linux Advocacy 101********
>
> 1. Never admit Linux's faults.
> Learn to LIE for LIEnux. If you can't come up with a good lie, then
> ignore the post and don't refute it.

Ignore the post and then belittle the person who posted it elsewhere.  Call
them names.

> 2. Blame the user.

A common tactic.  Yes.  The whole UI debates saw this a lot.  So have many
others.

> 3. Blame hardware. Ignore replies where the person claims the same
> hardware works fine with Windows.
>
> 4. Blame Microsoft. Everyone hates Microsoft so this is usually a good
> tactic.

This is the national sport of COLA.  :)

> 5. Pull the distribution dance. If the person has problems with Mandriva
> (and who hasn't?) suggest Ubuntu etc.... You have 500+ different excuses
> so you can really run the table with this one. Keep the opponent
> guessing!

I have seen this, too.  On the other hand, all the distros are pretty much
the same and even the same OS... and once configured you cannot even really
tell them apart.  Oh, and they offer lots of real choice.

> 6. Deny, deny, deny... NEVER admit Linux has a problem...Never.... Argue
> tooth and nail until the Linux cabal and Calvary shows up to circle the
> wagons around you.

Support the status quo at all costs... claim you are supporting choice, but
then vilify people who want *more* choice... it is all about how things
*are*.  Yes.  This is common.

> 7. If you can't deny, deny, deny then just ignore the thread and let it
> stand as is... This works well when you have lying, so called LIEnux
> advocates who are obviously lying... This way the opposition can't
> accuse you of siding with known liars.
>
> There are 10k more.....
> Feel free to add...

[INSERT .SIG HERE]

0
usenet2 (47889)
6/19/2011 4:25:08 PM
On 2011-06-19, the following emerged from the brain of flatfish+++:

> Here is the original post.
> Judge for yourself how many of these tactics get used in COLA to
> "advocate" Linux.

Okay, let's see how many of these 'tactics' apply to me:

> *****************How-To...Linux Advocacy 101********
>
> 1. Never admit Linux's faults.  Learn to LIE for LIEnux. If you
> can't come up with a good lie, then ignore the post and don't refute
> it.

I have admitted issues in GNU/Linux on numerous occasions and have
never lied about such issues.

Fail #1.

> 2. Blame the user.

I may have pointed out a couple of times where a user approaches
GNU/Linux with a Windows mindset. A good example would be where DFS
was confused by the fact that a regular user can rename a root-owned
directory. But blaming a real problem or a bug on the user? No, never.

Fail #2.

> 3. Blame hardware. Ignore replies where the person claims the same
> hardware works fine with Windows.

Never did that. I do however recall this one posting by DFS, quoting a
post from the Ubuntu forums. In that post a user complained that one
of his fans wasn't working, even before the boot loader appeared.
According to DFS this was a 'Linux problem'. I did reply to that that
GNU/Linux wasn't at fault, and that this was indeed a hardware issue.

In any case: fail #3.

> 4. Blame Microsoft. Everyone hates Microsoft so this is usually a
> good tactic.

Feel free to ignore the fact that Microsoft has been convicted for
unethical and unfair business practices on many occasions, and that
they have a (slowly crumbling) monopoly on the desktop computing
market. You are also free to ignore their patent trolling and the
subsequent extortion of smartphone manufacturers like HTC, which
enables them to make more money from Android than from their own
mobile OS.

That said, I rarely talk about these things.

Fail #4.

> 5. Pull the distribution dance. If the person has problems with
> Mandriva (and who hasn't?) suggest Ubuntu etc.... You have 500+
> different excuses so you can really run the table with this one.
> Keep the opponent guessing!

I wonder what's wrong with suggesting a distro that may serve a user
better. If I see someone struggling with a more technical disto like
Slackware, I will suggest Mint or Ubuntu. What the hell is so wicked
about that?

Fail #5.

> 6. Deny, deny, deny... NEVER admit Linux has a problem...Never....
> Argue tooth and nail until the Linux cabal and Calvary shows up to
> circle the wagons around you.

Isn't this the same as your first point? Yeah, it is. Okay, simple
then:

Fail #6.

> 7. If you can't deny, deny, deny then just ignore the thread and let
> it stand as is... This works well when you have lying, so called
> LIEnux advocates who are obviously lying... This way the opposition
> can't accuse you of siding with known liars.

I'm pretty persistent in my replies to obvious trolls. I wish I was
more like you describe above, and could just leave a thread without
looking back. So the above certainly does not apply to me. Hence:

Fail #7.

> There are 10k more.....  Feel free to add...

Please go ahead. I bet it will be 10k more fails.

Phew, this was easy :-)

--
The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day
they start making vacuum cleaners.

> On 2011-06-19, the following emerged from the brain of flatfish+++:
>
>> Here is the original post.
>> Judge for yourself how many of these tactics get used in COLA to
>> "advocate" Linux.
>
> Okay, let's see how many of these 'tactics' apply to me:
>
>> *****************How-To...Linux Advocacy 101********
>>
>> 1. Never admit Linux's faults.  Learn to LIE for LIEnux. If you
>> can't come up with a good lie, then ignore the post and don't refute
>> it.
>
> I have admitted issues in GNU/Linux on numerous occasions and have
> never lied about such issues.
>
> Fail #1.

I do not see this as meaning there are *no* counter examples... if so, I
agree with you: there are.  But there are a number of examples of this being
the case - when problems are pointed out about Linux, they are denied and
(combining this with comments below), MS is blamed or the user who makes the
comment is called names, etc.  The second part of that is the part I have
been talking about recently in terms of low quality of posting - and, if you
have seen, I have pointed out some specific examples to you.

If you want, I can show you even recent examples of how problems with Linux
have been ignored (such as the problems that lead to it not having much
acceptance on the desktop) and MS or inertia or whatever are blamed.

>> 2. Blame the user.
>
> I may have pointed out a couple of times where a user approaches
> GNU/Linux with a Windows mindset. A good example would be where DFS
> was confused by the fact that a regular user can rename a root-owned
> directory. But blaming a real problem or a bug on the user? No, never.
>
> Fail #2.

Never?  No.  How many times have we seen, for example, the user being blamed
for being affected by problems with the Linux desktop - problems with, for
example, inconsistencies in naming conventions (the most "famous" of these
is the Quit/Exit problem, but there are many others).  Heck, the user has
even been blamed for expecting cut and paste to work in a reasonable and
consistent way.

>> 3. Blame hardware. Ignore replies where the person claims the same
>> hardware works fine with Windows.
>
> Never did that. I do however recall this one posting by DFS, quoting a
> post from the Ubuntu forums. In that post a user complained that one
> of his fans wasn't working, even before the boot loader appeared.
> According to DFS this was a 'Linux problem'. I did reply to that that
> GNU/Linux wasn't at fault, and that this was indeed a hardware issue.
>
> In any case: fail #3.

The fact that many menus on Ubuntu do not work correctly on virtual hardware
of multiple types has been blamed on the hardware... when the reality is,
given how it affects multiple VM engines, it is clearly at best a mixed
problem.

>> 4. Blame Microsoft. Everyone hates Microsoft so this is usually a
>> good tactic.
>
> Feel free to ignore the fact that Microsoft has been convicted for
> unethical and unfair business practices on many occasions, and that
> they have a (slowly crumbling) monopoly on the desktop computing
> market. You are also free to ignore their patent trolling and the
> subsequent extortion of smartphone manufacturers like HTC, which
> enables them to make more money from Android than from their own
> mobile OS.
>
> That said, I rarely talk about these things.
>
> Fail #4.

MS is blamed for many, many things... and without a shred of evidence.  Look
at Homer's posts for some pretty big extremes in this area, but he is not
the only one.

>> 5. Pull the distribution dance. If the person has problems with
>> Mandriva (and who hasn't?) suggest Ubuntu etc.... You have 500+
>> different excuses so you can really run the table with this one.
>> Keep the opponent guessing!
>
> I wonder what's wrong with suggesting a distro that may serve a user
> better. If I see someone struggling with a more technical disto like
> Slackware, I will suggest Mint or Ubuntu. What the hell is so wicked
> about that?
>
> Fail #5.

I have seen this somewhat less than in the past, but the idea that if you
want feature X you should move to another distro is a very common push...
even blaming the user for not having picked the "right" distro... and then
it is noted that when you move to distro X you lose what brought you to
distro Y... and this ignored or the topic of "choice" is pulled in saying
how great it is you can have choice to get X or Y... when the user clearly
wants the things from X and Y to work *at the same time*.  Again, though, I
will say I have seen this less now than even a year or two ago.

>> 6. Deny, deny, deny... NEVER admit Linux has a problem...Never....
>> Argue tooth and nail until the Linux cabal and Calvary shows up to
>> circle the wagons around you.
>
> Isn't this the same as your first point? Yeah, it is. Okay, simple
> then:
>
> Fail #6.

Look at how many times people argue for the status quo. Heck, look up my
posts where I point it out... you will get just a small subset of the times
this happens in COLA.

>> 7. If you can't deny, deny, deny then just ignore the thread and let
>> it stand as is... This works well when you have lying, so called
>> LIEnux advocates who are obviously lying... This way the opposition
>> can't accuse you of siding with known liars.
>
> I'm pretty persistent in my replies to obvious trolls. I wish I was
> more like you describe above, and could just leave a thread without
> looking back. So the above certainly does not apply to me. Hence:
>
> Fail #7.

Again: look at the examples I have shown you of the "low quality" posts...
the name calling and grade school insults and accusations.  All a form of
just ignoring the actual comments made and running to silly BS.  It is far
too common in COLA.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

0
usenet2 (47889)
6/19/2011 5:57:53 PM
TomB wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 2011-06-19, the following emerged from the brain of flatfish+++:
>
>> Here is the original post.
>> Judge for yourself how many of these tactics get used in COLA to
>> "advocate" Linux.
>
> Okay, let's see how many of these 'tactics' apply to me:
>
>> *****************How-To...Linux Advocacy 101********
>>
>> 1. Never admit Linux's faults.  Learn to LIE for LIEnux. If you
>> can't come up with a good lie, then ignore the post and don't refute
>> it.
>
> I have admitted issues in GNU/Linux on numerous occasions and have
> never lied about such issues.
>
> Fail #1.

Rest of fails snipped.  Flounder is a lying, and often nasty troll.

Nothing he writes can be taken seriously.  If he happens to be right on rare
occasions, so what?  It's not worth the shit in the other 99% of his
posts.

All he cares about is getting his "quotes" well-seeded into Google.

--
Any road followed to its end leads precisely nowhere.
Climb the mountain just a little to test it's a mountain.
On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 10:57:53 -0700, Snit wrote:

> [...]
> this happens in COLA.
>
>>> 7. If you can't deny, deny, deny then just ignore the thread and let
>>> it stand as is... This works well when you have lying, so called
>>> LIEnux advocates who are obviously lying... This way the opposition
>>> can't accuse you of siding with known liars.
>>
>> I'm pretty persistent in my replies to obvious trolls. I wish I was
>> more like you describe above, and could just leave a thread without
>> looking back. So the above certainly does not apply to me. Hence:
>>
>> Fail #7.
>
> Again: look at the examples I have shown you of the "low quality" posts...
> the name calling and grade school insults and accusations.  All a form of
> just ignoring the actual comments made and running to silly BS.  It is far
> too common in COLA.
>
>>> There are 10k more.....  Feel free to add...
>>
>> Please go ahead. I bet it will be 10k more fails.

Well done Snit....
I deleted my reply because you are saying the same thing and better than
I was going to.

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Linux's dismal desktop market share:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html

Desktop Linux on Life Support:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/is-linux-on-the-desktop-dead--961508
0
flatfish (4841)
6/19/2011 7:20:00 PM
On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 08:52:58 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstromc@xzoozy.com> wrote:
> flatfish+++ wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> This is a new How-To WRT Linux advocacy.
>>
>> 1. Never admit Linux's faults.
>
> Bzzzt, wrong file dude.  Here's a good first start:
>
>    1. Plonk Flounder.
>    2. Plonk Slimer.
>    3. Plonk Mole.
>    4. Plonk Squealer.
>    5. Plonk Snit.

I have some of those plonked, but not all.  Some of them amuse me with
their idiocy.

--
 -| Bob Hauck (Brother Nail Gun of The Short Path)
 -| http://www.haucks.org/
Bob Hauck wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 08:52:58 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstromc@xzoozy.com> wrote:
>> flatfish+++ wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>>
>>> This is a new How-To WRT Linux advocacy.
>>>
>>> 1. Never admit Linux's faults.
>>
>> Bzzzt, wrong file dude.  Here's a good first start:
>>
>>    1. Plonk Flounder.
>>    2. Plonk Slimer.
>>    3. Plonk Mole.
>>    4. Plonk Squealer.
>>    5. Plonk Snit.
>
> I have some of those plonked, but not all.  Some of them amuse me with
> their idiocy.

It's good to have some mental relaxation from time to time. :-)

--
No one may kill a man.  Not for any purpose.  It cannot be condoned.
		-- Kirk, "Spock's Brain", stardate 5431.6

> [...]
>> posts where I point it out... you will get just a small subset of the times
>> this happens in COLA.

>>> I'm pretty persistent in my replies to obvious trolls. I wish I was
>>> more like you describe above, and could just leave a thread without
>>> looking back. So the above certainly does not apply to me. Hence:
>>>
>>> Fail #7.
>>
>> Again: look at the examples I have shown you of the "low quality" posts...
>> the name calling and grade school insults and accusations.  All a form of
>> just ignoring the actual comments made and running to silly BS.  It is far
>> too common in COLA.

>>> Please go ahead. I bet it will be 10k more fails.
>>>
>>> Phew, this was easy :-)
>
> Well done Snit....
> I deleted my reply because you are saying the same thing and better than

Thank you.  And, to be clear, if someone asks I will provide more specific
examples.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

0
usenet2 (47889)
6/19/2011 9:45:10 PM
On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 16:38:08 -0400, Bob Hauck wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 08:52:58 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstromc@xzoozy.com> wrote:
>> flatfish+++ wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>>
>>> This is a new How-To WRT Linux advocacy.
>>>
>>> 1. Never admit Linux's faults.
>>
>> Bzzzt, wrong file dude.  Here's a good first start:
>>
>>    1. Plonk Flounder.
>>    2. Plonk Slimer.
>>    3. Plonk Mole.
>>    4. Plonk Squealer.
>>    5. Plonk Snit.
>
> I have some of those plonked, but not all.  Some of them amuse me with
> their idiocy.

Who cares?
Maybe you should just bury your head a little deeper and kill file
everything so you don't have your feelings hurt when Linux gets
criticized.

I'll bet you see yourself in at least some of what I posted.
I certainly see idiots like you in those scenarios.

You guys are all from the same defective mold.
Some are more defective than others though.

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Linux's dismal desktop market share:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html

Desktop Linux on Life Support:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/is-linux-on-the-desktop-dead--961508
0
flatfish (4841)
6/19/2011 10:00:59 PM
On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 18:00:59 -0400, flatfish+++ <flatfish@marianatrench.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 16:38:08 -0400, Bob Hauck wrote:

>>> Bzzzt, wrong file dude.  Here's a good first start:
>>>
>>>    1. Plonk Flounder.
>>>    2. Plonk Slimer.
>>>    3. Plonk Mole.
>>>    4. Plonk Squealer.
>>>    5. Plonk Snit.
>>
>> I have some of those plonked, but not all.  Some of them amuse me with
>> their idiocy.
>
> Who cares?
> Maybe you should just bury your head a little deeper and kill file
> everything so you don't have your feelings hurt when Linux gets
> criticized.

I'll read whatever I want to read, and not read what I don't want to
read.  I don't give a damn if you like it.

> I'll bet you see yourself in at least some of what I posted.

No, not really.  I'm not the one who spends all of his waking hours
trashing an OS on Usenet.

--
On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 18:53:26 -0400, Bob Hauck wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 18:00:59 -0400, flatfish+++ <flatfish@marianatrench.com> wrote:

>>> I have some of those plonked, but not all.  Some of them amuse me with
>>> their idiocy.
>>
>> Who cares?
>> Maybe you should just bury your head a little deeper and kill file
>> everything so you don't have your feelings hurt when Linux gets
>> criticized.
>
> I'll read whatever I want to read, and not read what I don't want to
> read.  I don't give a damn if you like it.
>

>> I'll bet you see yourself in at least some of what I posted.
>
> No, not really.  I'm not the one who spends all of his waking hours
> trashing an OS on Usenet.

Yea you see yourself.
You do...
You're the deny, deny, deny type.

You also see the rest of the Linturds...

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Linux's dismal desktop market share:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html

Desktop Linux on Life Support:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/is-linux-on-the-desktop-dead--961508
0
flatfish (4841)
6/19/2011 11:33:07 PM
Bob Hauck wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 18:00:59 -0400, flatfish+++ <flatfish@marianatrench.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> I'll bet you see yourself in at least some of what I posted.
>
> No, not really.  I'm not the one who spends all of his waking hours
> trashing an OS on Usenet.

And trashing people as well.

--
It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
		-- Steven Wright
On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 19:33:07 -0400, flatfish+++ <flatfish@marianatrench.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 18:53:26 -0400, Bob Hauck wrote:

>>> I'll bet you see yourself in at least some of what I posted.
>>
>> No, not really.  I'm not the one who spends all of his waking hours
>> trashing an OS on Usenet.
>
> Yea you see yourself.

I see myself trolling Usenet 12 hours per day?  Nope.  I've got better
things to do.  You, apparently, do not.

> You do...
> You're the deny, deny, deny type.

Such discourse, worthy of a little girl on the playground.  How long
until we hear "neener, neener, neener"?

--
 -| Bob Hauck (Brother Nail Gun of The Short Path)
 -| http://www.haucks.org/

> Bob Hauck wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 18:00:59 -0400, flatfish+++ <flatfish@marianatrench.com> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> I'll bet you see yourself in at least some of what I posted.
>>
>> No, not really.  I'm not the one who spends all of his waking hours
>> trashing an OS on Usenet.
>
> And trashing people as well.

The wintrolls often trash themselves. ;-)

--
A bad random number generator: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 4.33e+67, 1, 1, 1
"Microsoft has vast resources, literally billions of dollars in cash, or liquid assets reserves.
Microsoft is an incredibly successful empire built on the premise of market dominance with low-quality goods."
-- Former White House adviser Richard A. Clarke --
0
wp2061 (3218)
6/20/2011 9:59:10 AM
On Jun 19, 9:48=A0am, William Poaster <w...@induh-vidual.net> wrote:

> > flatfish+++ wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
> >> This is a new How-To WRT Linux advocacy.
>
> >> 1. Never admit Linux's faults.
>
> > Bzzzt, wrong file dude. =A0Here's a good first start:
>
> > =A0 =A01. Plonk Flounder.
> > =A0 =A02. Plonk Slimer.
> > =A0 =A03. Plonk Mole.
> > =A0 =A04. Plonk Squealer.
> > =A0 =A05. Plonk Snit.
>
> +1

"The first thing an echo chamber does is convince itself it's not an
echo chamber."

-hh

>"-hh" <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com> wrote in message

>> > Bzzzt, wrong file dude. Here's a good first start:
>>
>> > 1. Plonk Flounder.
>> > 2. Plonk Slimer.
>> > 3. Plonk Mole.
>> > 4. Plonk Squealer.
>> > 5. Plonk Snit.
>>
>> +1
>
>"The first thing an echo chamber does is convince itself
> it's not an echo chamber."

I doubt Willie will be able to figure out what you mean.

Anything beyond "me too" or "+1" seems to baffle him.

0
zeke947 (1328)
6/20/2011 12:11:01 PM
-hh wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>> > Bzzzt, wrong file dude. ?Here's a good first start:
>>
>> > ? ?1. Plonk Flounder.
>> > ? ?2. Plonk Slimer.
>> > ? ?3. Plonk Mole.
>> > ? ?4. Plonk Squealer.
>> > ? ?5. Plonk Snit.
>>
>> +1
>
> "The first thing an echo chamber does is convince itself it's not an
> echo chamber."

-1

--
Using words to describe magic is like using a screwdriver to cut roast beef.
		-- Tom Robbins

> -hh wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>> +1
>>
>> "The first thing an echo chamber does is convince itself it's not an
>> echo chamber."
>
> -1

Who the f#ck is "-hh"? I've never seen him.

Oh, a gurglegroper:

A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.
"Microsoft has vast resources, literally billions of dollars in cash, or liquid assets reserves.
Microsoft is an incredibly successful empire built on the premise of market dominance with low-quality goods."
-- Former White House adviser Richard A. Clarke --
0
wp2061 (3218)
6/20/2011 12:36:38 PM
On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 08:11:01 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

>>"-hh" <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com> wrote in message

>>> +1
>>
>>"The first thing an echo chamber does is convince itself
>> it's not an echo chamber."
>>

> I doubt Willie will be able to figure out what you mean.
>
> Anything beyond "me too" or "+1" seems to baffle him.

Willy Poaster = Geoff Fitton is probably drawing a flow chart now!

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Linux's dismal desktop market share:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html

Desktop Linux on Life Support:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/is-linux-on-the-desktop-dead--961508
0
flatfish (4841)
6/20/2011 1:09:41 PM
On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 13:36:38 +0100, William Poaster wrote:

>> -hh wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>> "The first thing an echo chamber does is convince itself it's not an
>>> echo chamber."
>>
>> -1
>
> Who the f#ck is "-hh"? I've never seen him.
>
> Oh, a gurglegroper:
>
> http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/

Filters again William Poaster = Geoff Fitton?

You just proved his point.......

Nice self nuke.
--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Linux's dismal desktop market share:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html

Desktop Linux on Life Support:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/is-linux-on-the-desktop-dead--961508
0
flatfish (4841)
6/20/2011 1:14:05 PM
flatfish+++ <flatfish@marianatrench.com> writes:

>>> -1
>>
>> Who the f#ck is "-hh"? I've never seen him.
>>
>> Oh, a gurglegroper:
>>
>> http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
>
> Filters again William Poaster = Geoff Fitton?
>
> You just proved his point.......
>
> Nice self nuke.

What's REALLY scary is that dumb Willy really thinks he is impressing
people...
0
hadronquark (21814)
6/20/2011 1:17:56 PM
On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 15:17:56 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> flatfish+++ <flatfish@marianatrench.com> writes:

>>> Who the f#ck is "-hh"? I've never seen him.
>>>
>>> Oh, a gurglegroper:
>>>
>>> http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
>>
>> Filters again William Poaster = Geoff Fitton?
>>
>> You just proved his point.......
>>
>> Nice self nuke.
>
> What's REALLY scary is that dumb Willy really thinks he is impressing
> people...

Evidently.....
 I must be missing it because he just seems like an unknowledgeable
idiot to me.

--
flatfish+++
Please visit our hall of Linux idiots.
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Watching Linux Fail:
http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/

Linux's dismal desktop market share:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/

Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead
"By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta
in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html

Desktop Linux on Life Support:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/is-linux-on-the-desktop-dead--961508
0
flatfish (4841)
6/20/2011 1:30:32 PM
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

>flatfish+++ wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> This is a new How-To WRT Linux advocacy.
>>
>> 1. Never admit Linux's faults.
>
>Bzzzt, wrong file dude.  Here's a good first start:
>
>   1. Plonk Flounder.
>   2. Plonk Slimer.
>   3. Plonk Mole.
>   4. Plonk Squealer.
>   5. Plonk Snit.

Who are Slimer and Mole?

0
chrisv (22840)
6/20/2011 1:54:39 PM
useless piece of dog shit "chrisv" <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

shut the fsck up you mentally ill piece of shit.

0
monger (15)
6/20/2011 1:59:30 PM
chrisv wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>>flatfish+++ wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>>
>>> This is a new How-To WRT Linux advocacy.
>>>
>>> 1. Never admit Linux's faults.
>>
>>Bzzzt, wrong file dude.  Here's a good first start:
>>
>>   1. Plonk Flounder.
>>   2. Plonk Slimer.
>>   3. Plonk Mole.
>>   4. Plonk Squealer.
>>   5. Plonk Snit.
>
> Who are Slimer and Mole?

DFS and "Hadron", respectively.

--
Who is D.B. Cooper, and where is he now?
0

> chrisv wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

>>> Bzzzt, wrong file dude.  Here's a good first start:
>>>
>>>   1. Plonk Flounder.
>>>   2. Plonk Slimer.
>>>   3. Plonk Mole.
>>>   4. Plonk Squealer.
>>>   5. Plonk Snit.
>>
>> Who are Slimer and Mole?
>
> DFS and "Hadron", respectively.

What?  And TomB whines about name calling... but not in this cases.

Interesting.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

0
usenet2 (47889)
6/20/2011 3:36:57 PM
On 6/18/2011 10:31 AM, Kari Laine wrote:

> On 06/18/2011 02:20 AM, flatfish+++ wrote:
>> This is a new How-To WRT Linux advocacy.
>>
>> 1. Never admit Linux's faults.
>> Learn to LIE for LIEnux. If you can't come up with a good lie, then
>> ignore the post and don't refute it.
> I have seen quite opposite in the discussions. I am reading this group
> from the start of archives making notes. I have not seen once a blatant
> lie from a person advocating Linux. Over optimism maybe....

Open your eyes:

* "Microsoft products can only access 3Gb of RAM while Linux has no RAM
limits"
* "Linux is expanding at the rate of 1 million+ desktops per week"
* "Linux sells 14 million+ embedded gadgets PER DAY."
* "Microsoft paid $8 billion for a company worth $70 million"
* "Software from the United States is 2nd rate"
* "IBM doesn't use Windows"
* "Windows usage falls to 20%"
* "Ubuntu is expecting 200 million users"
* "Linux is on one-third of all PCs sold"
* "I used to spend 7000 to 9000 pounds a year on Microsoft software"
* "I was European Inventor Of The Year 1995"
* "Latest estimate is 500 million infected Windows computers (May 2011)"
* "Linux fixes all its serious vulnerabilities in roughly 24 hours"
* "Micoshaft has illegally twisted suppliers in Taiwan
to restrict choice of OS preload."
* "The EU accepted bribes and collusion with micoshaftees
to keep Linux from EU and its people"
* "OpenOffice is a derivative of LibreOffice"
* "Microsoft plans to snoop on your voip calls"

Homer
* "half of European govt bodies dumped Windows in 2003"
* "a one-day 6% decline in Google's shares is a small fluctuation"
* "if Windows was the only choice I wouldn't use computers"
* "it takes days to fully setup a Windows system"
* "MS SQL Server can't handle Tesco's product database"
* "With a small team I could've done the Munich migration in less than
six months, including re-engineering all proprietary components"

Gweg Shearman
* "DFS links are usually more than a few years old"

Chris Hunter
* "the entire German government, French government, most of Scandinavia,
/all/ of China, and much of India switched to Linux"

Dumb Willie Poaster
* "In their SEC filings, MS says Linux is up to 14% of users"
* "Brazil switched to Linux"
* "Israel got rid of MS Office"
* "Bill Gates gave $100M to fight HIV in India, but gave $421M to fight
Linux"
* "Hadron is a Microsoft zealot"

Keith Curtis
* "Bill Gates was my boss"
* "Microsoft is nearly the last proprietary PC software company standing"
* "In the world of free software the definition of an operating system
changes"
* "Linux has achieved enormous gains against Windows"

Gooblin
* "I don't hate Microsoft"
* "Microsoft turned existing Kin phones into lifeless bricks when they
quit selling them"
* "The Microsoft Kinect is not successful"

Roy Spamowitz
* "It's official: Microsoft is dying very quickly"
* Paul Thurrott of Win Supersite doesn't like Windows 7
* "GNU/Linux is the Best Operating System for solid-state drives (but
the article he linked as proof said Windows 2000 was)
* "Vista doesn't run on sub-notebooks"
* "Venezuela is going 100% open source by end of 2006"
* "There are 320,000,000 Windows Zombie machines"
* "The latest Mandriva is perfect."

flyer
* "MS Office is dying In India"

Linosuck
* "Microsoft killed the Citrix client for Linux"
* "the only products that are making headway against Microsoft these
days are *free* products based on open-source."
* "Office Depot put all its Windows Vista computers on clearance"

Linuxiac
* "Linux is up to 200x faster than Windows"

turd chrisv
* "users no longer need Windows."
* "Hadron takes the pro-MS position on *every* issue"
* "Vista needs 4G and 2 fast CPU's to run acceptably well."
* "Windows fits only one situation: a single-user desktop PC"
* "Microsoft imposes the Windows tax upon even the poorest of
third-world countries"
* "Ezekiel claimed Linux isn't ready for the desktop because it doesn't
have iTunes"
* "DFS claims you can get permanent eye damage from installing Linux
improperly"
* "DFS is a filthy liar"
* "cola Linux advocates are generally honest"
* "I've never lied in cola"
* "There is no advocate on cola who deserves to be called a stupid piece
of shit"
* "Best Buy had multiple aisles lined with AV software."

raytard
* You have to reboot half a dozen times to install Windows apps"
* "I had one or two minor issues in 10 years of using Linux"

AZNomad
* "Vista actually requires more ram than a 32bit cpu can address."
* "Office 2008 on a 5ghz machine isn't any faster than office 97 on a
pentium-60."
* "The U.S. armed forces do not use anything from microsoft for critical
data processing."

TomB:
*"a lot of today's popular technologies (server and desktop) are
GNU/Linux only, or at least started off on GNU/Linux."

Rexford 'Kingmaker' Ballard
* "Vista will probably be based on the BSD kernel"
* "Microsoft executives openly admitted, under oath, that they had
frequently engaged in fraud, extortion, blackmail, and obstruction of
justice as routine business practices."
* 80 million Linux sub-notebooks were sold in 11 months
* "Microsoft requires retailers to turn off all Windows systems if Linux
computers are displayed nearby"
* "Acer, ASUS, and MSI were making profits on Linux machines, until
Microsoft threatened to hold them liable for any Windows XP
installations done by end users."
* "3 billion people have 3-4 consumer items each"

Terry Telnet Porter
* "Linux does not have data corruption problems"
* "Vista32 can only use 3GB of RAM and Vista64 is limited to 4GB of RAM"
* "FWBuilder is not available for Windows"
* "I've had absolutely no trouble in 13 years of using Linux."

Richard Rasker
* "Vista requires between 10 and 20 times the amount
of system resources Linux needs for equal performance."
* "Vista is the reason computers have quad core CPUs"
* "Vista purchasers in the UK pay 2x what US purchasers pay"  (at the
time, it was nearly the same price)
* "Windows code has 100x as many bugs per line as Linux code."

Jim
* "I covered 220 miles in 8 hours on a mountain bike"
* "I will unseat MS in <5 years with a team of Linux volunteers"
* "I got 15 hours of battery life with Suse 9.3 w/KDE, but only 3.5
hours of battery life with Windows XP SP2"

Nigel Feltham
"Bill Gates was expelled from Harvard for stealing computer time"

HPT
* "DFS is lying, nymshifting, hypocritical"
* "DFS makes up virtually every number, and many of the "facts" he posts."
* "Novell is now owned by a Microsoft consortium."
* "Linux was a complete and suitable desktop product in 1998"

JEDIDIAH
* "DFS Googles for Linux problems because he hasn't experienced any of
his own"
* "sudo is not a Unix thing"
* "I wouldn't accept a free $110K Corvette"

The Lost Packet
* "Microsoft Office barely works"

Ian Hilliard
* "the whole IT industry has been forced to become a marketing channel
for Microsoft and a few other big software companies"

Mart van de Wege
* "DFS purposely hid parts of his Debian/Gnome screenshots"

RonG
* "Vista requires all new equipment and applications"
* "Microsoft had to buy Visio since they couldn't compete with it."
* "I switched to Linux"
* "Once you get CentOS working it doesn't just stop like Windows does"

Marti
* "all Registry cleaners are malware"
* "Linux doesn't just quit working"  (he previously said his Suse system
"simply stopped working")

Peter Kohlmann
* "Windows code has 100x as many bugs per line as Linux code."
* "Windows apps very often require reboots after install"

Gidget
* "if Windows was the only choice I wouldn't use computers"
* "The Gates Foundation is a money-laundering operation"
* "DFS posts several links a day that are at least 5 years old"

>> 3. Blame hardware. Ignore replies where the person claims the same
>> hardware works fine with Windows.
> I have never had Linux corrupt itself without a faulty hardware. When I
> say newer I mean over ten years, during which I have used it.
>
> Windows...well you newer know will it boot tomorrow or after a crash,
> therefore I keep images of Windows disks.

"On the 8th boot I finally got Ubuntu 8.04 to run and am posting this
from it."  #124  at
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765510&highlight=freeze&page=13

>> 4. Blame Microsoft. Everyone hates Microsoft so this is usually a good
>> tactic.
> I hate it. Hate is dangerous. It causes all kind of problems and one
> does not act rationally when in the hate mode. Therefore I try keep
> myself in position that I can calmly say "I hate it" - next.
> And Microsoft has earned it's reputation all by itself.

Well, you helped a bit by buying and using their products to make a
living your entire life.

>> 6. Deny, deny, deny... NEVER admit Linux has a problem...Never.... Argue
>> tooth and nail until the Linux cabal and Calvary shows up to circle the
>> wagons around you.
> Linux has many problems. It's market share is not 90%....

Its market share is not even 1%.

> Please list Linux's technical problems. I am not a guru but can probably
> argue some of them and there are probably lot of more brighter persons
> on this list than me.

- any old hackjob "developer" can contribute
- poor documentation
- pre-1.0 releases for 14 years
- 500+ distros that have no reason to exist and just confuse people
- distros derived from distros derived from distros derived from distros
- entire distros developed and maintained by anonymous user names
- distros with 6-month fixed date release cycles
- text files scattered all over
- case-sensitive file names
- command line required
- rude adolescent "community"
- device names like /dev/sbpcd12
- 30 different file systems
- not one good native game
- ridiculously poor audio/video apps
- apps that have to be started from the command line
- how do you install apps not in the repos?
- configure, make, make install.  What does that mean?
- theftware of ideas from Windows and Mac
- /tmp, /var/tmp.  Why?
- hidden .config folders.  Why?
- spinning cubes and burning/freezing windows
- device lists that include extremely obsolete technology
- Freshmeat burial ground for abandoned crapware
- no central store for config settings
- package managers that give you no install options whatsoever
- desktop copy/paste gives different file modify dates from command line
copy/paste
- hundreds of (cr)apps and utilities and manpages to duplicate what
Windows offers with Group Policy Editor and Local Security Policy tools

0
nospam2091 (10001)
6/23/2011 12:06:14 AM
On Jun 20, 8:36=A0am, William Poaster <w...@induh-vidual.net> wrote:

> > -hh wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> >> "The first thing anechochamberdoes is convince itself it's not an
> >>echochamber."
>
> > -1
>
> Who the f#ck is "-hh"? I've never seen him.

Your loss, not mine.

> Oh, a gurglegroper:
>
> http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/

Yes, Blinky the Shark's old website, which was relevant in its day for
filtering the Google spammers.  However, what few people know is the
two of us actually discussed it offline.  RIP Blinky...still miss his
comments on the photography forums.

FWIW, Google does have its problems, but it also features the easiest
way to manage reading USENET from multiple computers...which thus
constitutes a trade-off.  Blinky's suggested alternative was to put
one's newsreader .rn & .trn files on a USB thumb drive to physically
"sneakernet" between machines ... unfortunately, this was viable when
he suggested it, but with USB drivers now being disabled & locked down
on many Enterprise Windows PC machines as an anti-Worm based security
measure, it is no longer physically possible.  And even that approach
assumes that one has Admin authority to install the newsreader in the
first place, which has been another marginalized area for years within
the Enterprise.

Bottom line is that it doesn't take much of an effort to all to
realize that I'm not a one-shot spammer who happens to use GG.   As
such, the justification to do a global blacklist without an offsetting
whitelist of exceptions is lacking, which just goes to illustrate the
futility of filters in the first place ... if I really intended to be
a filter-dodging nuisance, I could do so if I wished.

Which in the end means that it is more your loss than mine:   I choose
not to wear blinders on my intellect...but you do have the freedom to
pursue your "Echo Chamber" that you've brought about upon your own
accord, even though this makes you more self-limiting.  Bye.

-hh
William Poaster <wp@induh-vidual.net> writes:

>> -hh wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>> "The first thing an echo chamber does is convince itself it's not an
>>> echo chamber."
>>
>> -1
>
> Who the f#ck is "-hh"? I've never seen him.

Hey everyone! Dumb Willy is talking about his filter again!

0
hadronquark (21814)
6/23/2011 2:28:50 AM
Ah, why not...

Am Wed, 22 Jun 2011 20:06:14 -0400 schrieb DFS:

>> Please list Linux's technical problems. I am not a guru but can
>> probably argue some of them and there are probably lot of more brighter
>> persons on this list than me.

> - any old hackjob "developer" can contribute

But most serious project have guidelines on how to write patches and
review them before merging. Or not?

- poor documentation

True for some projects. But I have also seen many with excellent
documentation.
Generally I'd say: Wrong.

> - pre-1.0 releases for 14 years

So what? How does giving software the suffix 1.0 make it better?
Magically?

> - 500+ distros that have no reason to
> exist and just confuse people

They have reason to exist - or they wouldn't exist.
How exactly do they confuse people? For users that don't really care
there are about three recommendations. For users that do care there is
great choice and since they do care they have informed themselves and
know about differences and advantages of them.

> - distros derived from distros derived
> from distros derived from distros

What's wroing with building on a good codebase instead of inventing the
same things again and again?

> - entire distros developed and
> maintained by anonymous user names

Such as?

> - distros with 6-month fixed date
> release cycles

Wow, I actually partly agree. I don't like that either.
But: I don't like it so I don't use one that does that. So I again don't
see the problem.

> - text files scattered all over

Wat.
Configuration files? They are "scattered all over" according to the FHS
and are therefore not "scattered all over".

> - case-sensitive file
> names

What's bad about that?

> - command line required

Is that worse than "GUI required"?

Seriously: Give examples.

> - rude adolescent "community"

I fail to see that in the Archlinux forums.

> - device names like /dev/sbpcd12

Since I have never seen that I googled it and this device name results
from "Old SoundBlaster/Panasonic CDROM interface". Excuse me, but do you
use 10+ years old hardware to get such device names?

Also, the user almost never has to know about what the device is named
since the applications should give a good abstraction themselves. I have
yet to see a GUI cd burning program not representing cdrom/dvd drives
automatically with an icon and description.

> - 30 different file systems

chris@chrisl ~ % ls -l /lib/modules/2.6.39-ARCH/kernel/fs/ | wc -l
48

Again I fail to see the problem. Users who don't care will use the
default of probably ext4, users who do care have a great choice.

> - not one
> good native game

Unreal Tournament 2004? Quake 4? Postal 2?
Doom3 and Prey?
Wolfenstein ET? Neverwinter Nights? Heroes of Newerth? Freespace 2 (SCP)?
Savage 2?
You didn't define "good" so I will also include Amnesia: Dark Descent.
Although it's not a mainstream game many people seem to really like it...

I think "not one" doesn't really hit it.

> - ridiculously poor audio/video apps

I don't understand what you are talking about: Professional video/audio
editing?
If you talk about kdenlive/openshot etc. I'd agree that they are
unfortunately in a too early development stage but they are improved
rapidly.

> - apps that have
> to be started from the command line

Such as?

> - how do you install apps not in the
> repos?

Download the tarball with binaries, unpack the archive, double click the
binary.
In the case of Archlinux: Request the package in the bugtracker or for a
quicker solution ask in the "PKGBUILD Requests" subforum.

Generally: If the developer doesn't provide binaries that's his/her
choice. Nothing you can do about it.

> - configure, make, make install.  What does that mean?

The 30 minutes of learning how Software works are well spent in my
opinion.

> - theftware of ideas from Windows and Mac

"theftware"? I like the idea of all GUI developers contributing to a pool
of available ideas for GUIs and see adoption and improvement of good
ideas as a good thing. Of course in your "commercial" and "intellectual
property" mindset don't.

> - /tmp, /var/tmp.  Why?

You can look it up in the FHS:

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#PURPOSE50

"The /var/tmp directory is made available for programs that require
temporary files or directories that are preserved between system reboots.
Therefore, data stored in /var/tmp is more persistent than data in /tmp.
Files and directories located in /var/tmp must not be deleted when the
system is booted. Although data stored in /var/tmp is typically deleted
in a site-specific manner, it is recommended that deletions occur at a
less frequent interval than /tmp."

> - hidden .config folders.  Why?

Ok, time to rething the topic: "Please list Linux's technical problems."

I fail to see how that decision is a technical problem. What's your
problem with it?

> - spinning cubes and burning/freezing windows

If you set it so. The spinning cube is such a huge problem that people
duplicated this on windows with DeskSpace (Formerly Yod'm).

> - device lists that
> include extremely obsolete technology

Can't follow you here.

> - Freshmeat burial ground for
> abandoned crapware

That's a technical problem of linux?
Can't follow you here either.

> - no central store for config settings

/etc - global settings
$HOME/.config - user specific settings

Not central enaugh? Try Suse with YAST.

> - package
> managers that give you no install options whatsoever

Wat. Can't follow you.

> - desktop
> copy/paste gives different file modify dates from command line
> copy/paste

What does that mean? With CLI copy paste you mean cp?

Read the help, it doesn't preserve many attributes but it is of course
configurable which it preserves:

     --preserve[=ATTR_LIST]   preserve the specified attributes (default:
                                 mode,ownership,timestamps), if possible
                                 additional attributes: context, links,
xattr,
                                 all

Just use cp -a. File a bug report to cp that _you_ want cp to preserve
timestamps by default.

> - hundreds of (cr)apps and utilities and manpages to
> duplicate what Windows offers with Group Policy Editor and Local
> Security Policy tools

Make a list of at least 200 and provide an argument why the "apps" are
"crapps" please.

So in conclusion, how many technical problems of linux did you get...
I'd say: almost one.
The device naming of obsolete hardware may not in every case follow
standard ways.
While I agree that a 6 month release cycle isn't good this is not a
problem inherent to linux but solely the decision of the distributor.
There may be more valid points but you'd have to provide evidence for
them to even exist.
0
chrisdhaag (716)
6/23/2011 8:27:09 AM
Chris wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> Ah, why not...
>
> Am Wed, 22 Jun 2011 20:06:14 -0400 schrieb DFS:
>
> <The usual concatenation of Slimer claims, many of which could
>  be collected from the wide world of Windows and put together
>  in the same slimy misleading way>
>
> So in conclusion, how many technical problems of linux did you get...
> I'd say: almost one.
> The device naming of obsolete hardware may not in every case follow
> standard ways.
> While I agree that a 6 month release cycle isn't good this is not a
> problem inherent to linux but solely the decision of the distributor.
> There may be more valid points but you'd have to provide evidence for
> them to even exist.

I hadn't seen a Slimer post in quite awhile.  Would that it have continued.
He's a frenetic fruitcake.

--
Flame on!
		-- Johnny Storm
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

>I hadn't seen a Slimer post in quite awhile.  Would that it have continued.
>He's a frenetic fruitcake.

Fortunately, Linux Live CD's make it easy for anyone to give Linux a
try.  Many will find it a "breath of fresh air".

0
chrisv (22840)
6/23/2011 12:57:12 PM
On 6/23/2011 8:57 AM, chrisv wrote:
> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> I hadn't seen a Slimer post in quite awhile.  Would that it have continued.
>> He's a frenetic fruitcake.
>
> Fortunately, Linux Live CD's make it easy for anyone to give Linux a
> try.  Many will find it a "breath of fresh air".

The overwhelming majority will find it a "whiff of fresh dogshit" and
quickly drop it and go back to Windows.

0
nospam2091 (10001)

os.linux.advocacy
Dear Friend, I have found some great articles at: http://www.familyandtwist.com/ http:www.articlestwist.com/ http://www.downloadstwist.com/ http://www.wallpaperstwist.com/ Read them all. Thanks mahmar07@gmail.com came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard a moment ago in comp.os.linux.advocacy: > Dear Friend, > > I have found some great articles at: > <URLs snipped> > Read them all. > > Thanks Not without a summary, I ain't. -- Spanking brand new high end desktop computer: £1700 Spanking brand new colour laser printer/scanner/copier/fax...

[News] Tips for Linux Advocacy (from Linux-hostile Site)

My Linux is not your Linux

I have Linux! I have Linux!

[News] [Linux] New and Extensive Linux Introduction/Advocacy Page
Introduction to Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The very first thing that must be understood about Linux is that | is it open-source software. Think about the open nature of a | chocolate chip cookie recipe and how all the people who use ita | re legally allowed to modify and redistribute the recipe if they | wish, provided they're given permission to do so from the author... `---- http://www.davestechsupport.com/ubuntufaq.html It's quite a good Web page, so it's worth mentioning. Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly: > http://www.davestechsupport.com/ubuntufaq.html > > It's quite a good Web page, so it's worth mentioning. I love the photo of the Trojan (Bad)Bunny being pushed towards the (Linux) fortress! That page is indeed a pretty slick bit of Linux promotion. -- K. http://slated.org ,---- | <This sig left intentionally blank> `---- Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5 00:07:59 up 41 days, 21:40, 3 users, load average: 0.01, 0.11, 0.08 "[H]omer" <spam@uce.gov> writes: > Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly: > >> http://www.davestechsupport.com/ubuntufaq.html >> >> It's quite a good Web page, so it's worth mentioning. > > I love the photo of the Trojan (Bad)Bunny being pushed towards the > (Linux) fortress! > > That page is indeed a pretty slick bit of Linux promotion. I particularly enjoy...

Where is the Linux Advocacy?
Reading this group it should have been named "linux suicide group." or "Depressed Linux users" or maybe "Windows Advocacy?" It is like every group becomes camping site for the adversaries of the groups subjects. Well I for one have Linux Ubuntu 11.04 and it kicks some serious ass on both Windows and Mac. The Unity GUI is surpassing the other two. It can self-repair and it can be made to change GUI in the upstart or from the shut down menu. When more instances of a program is open in the dock, then the dock will mark how many and when you press the button all instances will spread out on the desktop, where You can choose. A speciality is the "Windows install" option where Ubuntu is installed as a program in Windows. It integrates a disc image of the Linux system, embedded in the NTFS Windows-file system and can be removed in the "Programs" uninstall option. It will take about 3 seconds. Then another distro can be ready for install. By installing virtual Clonedrive in Windows You don't even need to burn an install disk. You just mount the iso file and install from the Windows desktop. Can Windows and OS X do that???NO!!! Jens On May 7, 11:48=A0pm, Lyrik <jenserikb...@gmail.com> wrote: > Reading this group it should have been named "linux suicide group." or > "Depressed Linux users" or maybe "Windows Advocacy?" > It is like every group becomes camping site for the adversaries ...

Why linux is linux

Linux Brochure Project (LBP)--Linux Advocacy & Publicity
Your organization may be interested in the Linux Brochure Project hosted on SourceForge. This project was developed because the Victoria Linux User Group (VLUG) wanted to produce their brochure using open source tools rather than proprietary ones. We registered it at SourceForge so that any Linux LUG and other advocacy groups could use the software to produce their own brochure. This project has been written up by LWN (http://lwn.net/Articles/51938/). See below for project details. Barbara Irwin Publicity Coordinator, VLUG ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The Linux Brochure Project (LBP) is GPLed data and software which is used to document key Linux information in a standard-size brochure (two sides of a single letter-sized or A4 sheet of paper that is Z-folded into the six mini-pages of the brochure). Four key features of this project make it an excellent advocacy and publicity tool for LUGS and Linux organizations: 1) the project data and software are GPLed; 2) all software tools used to build the LBP brochures are open source; 3) the brochure can be customized to fit individual requirements of LUGs and other Linux organizations; and 4) the software produces an attractive brochure. Currently there are two versions of the brochure -- a "Linus" version, which features famous quotes from Linus and a VLUG version, which has been adopted as the Victoria Linux Users Group official brochure...

COLA is full of fanatic Linux Zealots. Look Elsewhere for Linux Advocacy.
I tried a little experiment and that was to post to COLA making certain to agree with the usual morons like Schestowitz, [Homer], Terry Porter and so forth. I was very careful to make certain that I did not set them off by posting controversial information. IOW I became a COLA "Stepford wife" for a week or so. It was extremely difficult to accomplish because the list of so called Linux "advocates", at least that is what they call themselves, is small in number but high on their own special form of bullshit. Then *ON PURPOSE* , that part is important for those who like to...

Linux Brochure Project (LBP)--Linux Advocacy & Publicity #2
[...]

the new computer -os-linux+advocacy in 2008
gwedfw edhklsc jfdh fefgh n http://www.freewebs.com/thuiss/ http://indianfriendfinder.com/go/g924418-pmem ...

Are Linux Lusers Really Displaced Locksmiths? (Foley Belsaw School of Linux Advocacy)
Does Foley Belsaw have a school for Linux lusers like they do for Locksmith lusers? If not, they should! It could be a real money maker IMHO. On Thursday 22 September 2005 00:11 Lisa Cottmann wrote: > Does Foley Belsaw Nono Susan - I'm sure Foley doesn't cross post. Please stop, silly girl. Bill "Lisa Cottmann" <lisa_cottmann@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1127344265.713851.255270@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Does Foley Belsaw have a school for Linux lusers like they do for > Locksmith lusers? > > If not, they should! > > It coul...

Lowering The Boom on False Linux Advocacy. Was Nvidia. Was Linux vs Windows 7.
Zealots and cults are bad no matter what their cause may be. They do little to further the acceptance of their POV and in fact tend to do harm to the legitimate portions of the cause. All cults and thus the zealots that comprise them are based in some form of truth and reality. The cult of Linux is no different in this matter. One thing about a cult and the cultists themselves is that it is generally trivial for lucid people to expose them for what they really are. In the case of the Linux cult, the misguided people who believe they are edifying Linux are easy to expose. I posted a factual message, backed up by screen shots, demonstrating a defect in Linux, specifically Ubuntu and kUbuntu but not limited to those distributions. The effect was already a known factor and the Linux cultists did not disappoint at all. They swarmed the enemy, me, with their own form of misguided lies, IOW using the Intel driver, or using the Display configuration utility, without even bothering to read the message or look at the screen shots where it was plainly obvious I was not talking about Intel nor did the Display application even recognize that 2 monitors was installed so that was a lost cause. Then we have the "you didn't enable xinerama" as if this has anything to do with the problem. Hint: the nvidia settings program works fine. It just won't parse and properly update the xorg file so the correctly working twinview will not survive a re-boot. This i...

20 years of Linux Advocacy, who are those self anointed Linux "advocates"?
Most lies told: Roy "Spammer" Spamowitz (10 ahead of Liarmutt) Rudest poster: Peter K�hlmann (called people "retards" 289 times/ "idiot' 512 times), <Tattoo Vampire just has to try harder!> Thickest poster: (W)Ron(g)B (awarded for life btw as obviously no one is ever going to pip him). Pettiest "Net Nanny" and most pursing of lips: Willy "Filters" Boaster, ex aequo chrisv / HPT Poster most liable to send you to sleep: Rex Ballard Most incomprehensible poster: Jebbediah Biggest "it's ok to steal things" GPL offender: Andrew "I have a degree" Halliwell Poster most up his own arse: Mark Kent Most paranoid clown: [Homer] Most useless poster (20 gigabytes of other peoples work) : High Plains Rafael/Thumper/Wendy. Poster most likely to be put in a strait jacket and carted off : 7. Lifetime stupidity award: Terry Telnet and Gortard (hard to decide who's the biggest cretin.) -- Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead "By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory." [............] "Ultimately, Linux is doomed on the desktop because of a critical lack of content. And that lack of content owes its existence to two key factors: the fragmentation of the Linux platform, and the fierce ideology of the open-source community at large." http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.h...

The Linux Advocacy Bible
This group,comp.os.linux.advocacy, has become an absolute farce and is nothing more than a troll infested flame fest with little or no advocacy taking place. It seems that the so called Linux advocates, if there even is such a thing in COLA, are following the same script day in and day out. Here is what passes for advocacy in COLA. 1.The distribution switcheroo. If a person has troubles with Mandrake, suggest SuSE. If troubles with SuSE suggest Redhat and on and on. It;'s a never ending battle. 2. The dependency switcheroo. If a person has dependency problems with Mandrake suggest...

Linux Advocacy Opportunity.
Hi. First off, I'd like to thank the Italians for supplying us a great free news server. My condolences to you on these sad days of mourning for the Pope. Linux advocates, I am presenting you an opportunity for true Linux advocacy. Visit the newsgroups "microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion", and "microsoft.public.vsnet.general". Here you will find a thread, in which grown developers almost weep because due to the loss of VB. They drop tears knowing they now, collectively, have millions of new legacy VB code in the world. If there was ever an opportunity to switc...

why does linux need advocacy?
Hi cheerleaders, Hackers do what they do cause they want to. They don't need cheerleading. On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 22:09:39 +0000, top quark wrote: > Hi cheerleaders, > > Hackers do what they do cause they want to. They don't need > cheerleading. What's your point? -- rapskat - 18:58:47 up 15:17, 1 user, load average: 0.09, 0.10, 0.22 I'm not tense, just terribly, terribly alert. On 2005-10-08, rapskat <rapskat@gmail.com> wrote: > On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 22:09:39 +0000, top quark wrote: > >> Hi cheerleaders, >> >> Hackers do wh...

Linux advocacy leaflets
Hi. Does anyone know where I can download leaflets introducing people to Gnu/Linux/Free software? Joeboy wrote: > Hi. > > Does anyone know where I can download leaflets introducing people to > Gnu/Linux/Free software? Create you own. -- A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C000BD1D in VXD VMM(01) + 0000AD1D. The current application will be terminated. -(iAn)- wrote: > Joeboy wrote: > >> Hi. >> >> Does anyone know where I can download leaflets introducing people to >> Gnu/Linux/Free software? > > Create you own. The typical Linonut ...

A bit of Linux Advocacy...
And by "a bit", i mean a small amount. I just spent 3 days struggling with getting Ubuntu 7.10 installed and functioning correctly on a pretty run-of-the-mill configuration. Core 2 Duo E6300 MSI P965 Neo-F Motherboard 4GB DDR2 160GB SATA Drive nVidia GeForce 7100 GS 256MB (dual head) USB Speakers USB Keyboard/Mouse 1 Gateway FPD2485W 24" Moniotr (1920x1200) 1 Acer AL1917W 19" Monitor (1440x900) Let's start from the beginning. Everything went smooth with the download and burning of the CD. So, I put the CD in the drive and booted up to a nice Ubuntu boot menu. I ...

Real Linux advocacy
While COLA loons blabber on about filters, trolls, and and all kinds of off-topic Microsoft rants, in the *real* world there are still a few groups in my country who know how to advocate Linux. One of the members of CompUsers Linux told me that COLA is actually a real PITA for Linux advocacy. When people ask me how to get reliable information about Linux, I redirect them to the *real* Dutch advocates NOT to COLA nor Marti's (gays only) Linux Steunpunt Maastricht. http://linux.compusers.nl/ Platform Linux: "To *help* users to install and configure Linux, *especially* next to an existing Windows installation, and the problems in *their* use." (Windows & Linux). -- comp.os.linux.advocacy, COLA, (it's close with COLON) widely known as "The rectum of usenet". Clog_-_wog (�) wrote: > While COLA loons blabber on about filters, trolls, and and all kinds > of off-topic Microsoft rants, in the *real* world there are still a > few groups in my country who know how to advocate Linux. One of the > members of CompUsers Linux told me that COLA is actually a real PITA > for Linux advocacy. My friend who uses Linux most of the time but Windows to play games, and Unix at work, pretty much agrees with that statement. I remember asking him about it once and he thought they should crawl back under the rock from where most advocates came from in COLA. I have found most Linux newsgroups unwilling or unable to help in the simplest ...

Request for Linux Advocacy
I have been reading and posting in COLA for a bit... and I have been honest about my background and my views: * I know OS X and XP very well... and prefer OS X * I have worked some with Linux, especially Ubuntu, and find that while it has some advantages I still believe OS X serves many, if not most, users better I have stated my reasons - or at least some of them - for my views, and I have asked others to *advocate* for Linux: to state what distro would fit requirements I have found help new and non-techy users *or* list things I did not think of that would help this group. For the most part I got very weak answers, though the concepts of price, ease of software install through repositories, and choice were mentioned (and maybe some others: those were the main ones but I would have to check to make sure I did not leave out anyone's pet feature). Price and software repositories seem pretty clear - even though OS X does link to its own software site that allows for pretty easy access to a great deal of software. Choice, on the other hand, does not seem to be as easy to support... I have asked how this helps users and, frankly, the answers have been pretty weak. It seems to be much more of a philosophical "benefit" than any real benefit to the user - though, of course, there are both pros and cons to having more options. Overall, it seems at best to be a wash (though, of course, it depends on the exact needs!). Jamie Hart: I appreciate your comments eve...

Recipe for Linux Advocacy
Recipe for Linux Advocacy 1 16-oz can of sauerkraut. 1/4 lb broccoli, finely chopped. 1/4 lb cauliflower 1 cup of whole bran Boil the mixture until well cooked. Eat as much as you can with a large glass of prune juice. The next morning you will drop the largest smelliest most disgusting shit you have ever had. Name this disgusting nasty shit "chrisv" and congratulations - you have just created a "linux advocate." Make sure to flush twice. On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 09:40:53 -0400, Linux Solutions wrote: > Recipe for Linux Advocacy > > 1 16-oz can of sauerkraut. > 1/4 lb broccoli, finely chopped. > 1/4 lb cauliflower > 1 cup of whole bran > > Boil the mixture until well cooked. Eat as much as you can with a large > glass of prune juice. > > The next morning you will drop the largest smelliest most disgusting shit > you have ever had. > > Name this disgusting nasty shit "chrisv" and congratulations - you have just > created a "linux advocate." > > Make sure to flush twice. A friend of mine who used to work for the airlines as a pilot told me that there was a frequent flyer who used to do something like that, apparently. He would stink out the plane's lavatory so bad that the crew couldn't contain it. Apparently he flew a lot and became some kind of urban legend in the airline industry. They called him "the mad shitter" and nobod...

Linux advocacy is a joke
Just a quick stroll through any Linux discussion group will quickly leave the newbie with a feeling of hostility and arrogance. For some odd reason, maybe it's a social thing, Linux supporters seem to be among the most juvenile people on the face of the earth. It seems that the Linux users have 100+ different excuses to use when confronted with the obvious deficiencies of Linux as compared to better operating systems like Windows or OSX, which is real UNIX, not a sorry hack like Linux. So let us examine these typical responses for a few moments: 1. Call the person a troll. This one work...

Web resources about - How-To...Linux Advocacy... - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Advocacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Advocacy is a political process by an individual or group which aims to influence decisions within political, economic, and social systems and ...

Advocacy Group To Facebook: Don’t Track Kids
As Facebook considers letting kids younger than 13 create accounts, the Center for Digital Democracy sent a letter to Co-Founder and CEO Mark ...

Open letter to Mark Zuckerberg on Net Neutrality advocacy in India
You have said that “connecting the world is one of the greatest challenges of our generation.” We all agree. We also believe that a connectivity ...

Extole raises $7.6M for social advocacy platform
... Developer Extole today announced that it has raised an additional $7.6 million in funding. Extole, which bills itself as a “social advocacy ...

PP Advocacy Fund MA (@PPAdvocacyMA) on Twitter

All sizes - Design thinking for advocacy - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

YouTube - Ross Mirkarimi ADA / Disability Rights / MOD / ADVOCACY ??? - SF Sheriff - 112712p6 (FINAL) ...
Veröffentlicht am 01.12.2012 So in the end after MUCH explanation, in addition to the CITY AGENCIES' EXPERTS attempt at "HANDLING" me and AFTER ...

Greens' advocacy forces other NSW parties to heed environment
Whichever party forms government after the NSW election, the Greens will be essential in both houses of the State Parliament if the environment ...

Australian advocacy ruined most arguments for a reprieve
&nbsp;I'm fairly unmoved by the executions of two Australian drug smugglers in Indonesia.

Catalyst host Maryanne Demasi in the business of advocacy, not journalism
The national broadcaster&rsquo;s science program fails the test for balance and objectivity.