f



How were u introduce to Linux & what was ur 1st Linux OS???

my experience is available at
http://groups.google.co.in/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_thread/thread/6fb0ed2888acab2e?hl=en#
0
2/17/2008 7:17:46 AM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 124139 articles. 3 followers. Post Follow

64 Replies
974 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 44

v cube wrote:

> my experience is available at
> http://groups.google.co.in/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_thread
thread/6fb0ed2888acab2e?hl=en#

You should try all the livecds.
They are free to copy and boot up without
having to install - saves you days
of work when evaluating different distros.

http://www.livecdlist.com
free to copy and install on as many machines as you 
wish. PCs a heck of a lot cheap these days too.
At least 3 different Linux PCs available www.ebuyer.com
Also tesco is selling them www.tesco.com

Even more Linuxes at:
http://www.distrowatch.com
0
2/17/2008 7:38:44 PM

v cube wrote:
> my experience is available at
> http://groups.google.co.in/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_thread/thread/6fb0ed2888acab2e?hl=en#

This topic has been discussed several times. Please look through the
archives of COLA (through google groups). Most regulars here have
already talked about this a few times before. I recommend keeping your
excitement under control when posting new topics, and please use
complete sentences. There is nothing like "u" or "ur". Kids hooked to
instant messengers tend to use such language, and you can if you are
one such kid. Other than our retarded 7, most have a decent language
when they are not busy dissing someone else. Occasional typo errors
are generously tolerated.
0
2/17/2008 7:54:06 PM
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 19:38:44 GMT, 7 wrote:

> v cube wrote:
> 
>> my experience is available at
>> http://groups.google.co.in/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_thread
> thread/6fb0ed2888acab2e?hl=en#
> 
> You should try all the livecds.
> They are free to copy and boot up without
> having to install - saves you days
> of work when evaluating different distros.

Days?
That's funny.

You guys crack me up!

BTW he will soon discover for himself why there are 1000+ different Linux
distributions.


-- 
Moshe Goldfarb
Collector of soaps from around the globe.
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
0
brick.n.straw (6130)
2/17/2008 7:57:55 PM
7 wrote:

> http://www.livecdlist.com
> free to copy and install on as many machines as you
> wish. PCs a heck of a lot cheap these days too.
> At least 3 different Linux PCs available www.ebuyer.com
> Also tesco is selling them www.tesco.com

In the United States you can find inexpensive Dell Optiplexes all the time
on eBay. The one I'm using (Pentium 4, 1.6mhz) cost $35, plus $30 for
shipping. I have never had any trouble loading any Linux or BSD on it.

-- 
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"
0
ronb02noSPAM (7426)
2/17/2008 8:48:29 PM
Micoshaft Asstroturfer and fraudster Moshe Goldfarb wrote on behalf of
micoshaft corporation:

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 19:38:44 GMT, 7 wrote:
> 
>> v cube wrote:
>> 
>>> my experience is available at
>>> http://groups.google.co.in/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_thread
>> thread/6fb0ed2888acab2e?hl=en#
>> 
>> You should try all the livecds.
>> They are free to copy and boot up without
>> having to install - saves you days
>> of work when evaluating different distros.
> 
> Days?
> That's funny.
> 
> You guys crack me up!


You are spliffing crack now?
Its the only way to get paid isn't it for all you micoshaft sponsored
asstroturfing?

> BTW he will soon discover for himself why there are 1000+ different Linux
> distributions.

 

0
2/17/2008 8:59:15 PM
RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> writes:

> 7 wrote:
>
>> http://www.livecdlist.com
>> free to copy and install on as many machines as you
>> wish. PCs a heck of a lot cheap these days too.
>> At least 3 different Linux PCs available www.ebuyer.com
>> Also tesco is selling them www.tesco.com
>
> In the United States you can find inexpensive Dell Optiplexes all the time
> on eBay. The one I'm using (Pentium 4, 1.6mhz) cost $35, plus $30 for
> shipping. I have never had any trouble loading any Linux or BSD on it.


Oh! Now I know why you were so amazed at running 3 things on it .... but
sorry, Windows still can on that too.

btw, I'm sat in a hotel preparing a presentation for tomorrow on my X30
using debian. I made a big screw up. I assumed OO Impress would work. It
doesn't. It keeps freezing up the laptop for up to 40 seconds or so. A
real heap of f***ing ***t. A gig of RAM too. CPU sat there at 100% for
some reason. I just checked ps with "top". And guess what? Yup. The
*SPLASHSCREEN* is sat there eating up the cpu. Go figure. Does anyone
use and test this stuff?

No one to blame but myself of course, but makes me wonder what the hell
brings people like that "dumbest poster" award winner RonB here with all
his "works for me" lies.
0
hadronquark2 (7213)
2/17/2008 9:44:53 PM
Hadron wrote:

> RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> writes:
> 
>> 7 wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.livecdlist.com
>>> free to copy and install on as many machines as you
>>> wish. PCs a heck of a lot cheap these days too.
>>> At least 3 different Linux PCs available www.ebuyer.com
>>> Also tesco is selling them www.tesco.com
>>
>> In the United States you can find inexpensive Dell Optiplexes all the
>> time on eBay. The one I'm using (Pentium 4, 1.6mhz) cost $35, plus $30
>> for shipping. I have never had any trouble loading any Linux or BSD on
>> it.
> 
> 
> Oh! Now I know why you were so amazed at running 3 things on it .... but
> sorry, Windows still can on that too.
> 
> btw, I'm sat in a hotel preparing a presentation for tomorrow on my X30
> using debian. I made a big screw up. I assumed OO Impress would work. It
> doesn't. It keeps freezing up the laptop for up to 40 seconds or so. A
> real heap of f***ing ***t. A gig of RAM too. CPU sat there at 100% for
> some reason. I just checked ps with "top". And guess what? Yup. The
> *SPLASHSCREEN* is sat there eating up the cpu. Go figure. Does anyone
> use and test this stuff?
> 
> No one to blame but myself of course, but makes me wonder what the hell
> brings people like that "dumbest poster" award winner RonB here with all
> his "works for me" lies.

Oh, now the "true linux advocate" Hadron Quark not only has a crashing OO
(the editor part), but a Impress with a hanging splashscreen

Naturally the special Hadron Quark version, with built in problems

I have *never* seen Impress sitting on any splashscreen. It starts in less
than 3 seconds without a presentation, and depending on size of
presentation in a few more. 

Apart from the "fact" that Hadron sits in a hotel room, preparing a
presentation for tomorrow, and has never before used Impress. Because
otherwise he would have noticed that "special Hadron Quark feature",
present only in his version of Impress

Hadron, I have seen *much* better lies from about any extremely stupid liar
here in cola. This one is so obviously made up out of full cloth it isn't
even funny anymore
-- 
Linux: Because rebooting is for adding new hardware

0
Peter.Koehlmann (13228)
2/17/2008 10:07:53 PM
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 22:44:53 +0100, Hadron wrote:

> RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> writes:
> 
>> 7 wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.livecdlist.com
>>> free to copy and install on as many machines as you
>>> wish. PCs a heck of a lot cheap these days too.
>>> At least 3 different Linux PCs available www.ebuyer.com
>>> Also tesco is selling them www.tesco.com
>>
>> In the United States you can find inexpensive Dell Optiplexes all the time
>> on eBay. The one I'm using (Pentium 4, 1.6mhz) cost $35, plus $30 for
>> shipping. I have never had any trouble loading any Linux or BSD on it.
> 
> 
> Oh! Now I know why you were so amazed at running 3 things on it .... but
> sorry, Windows still can on that too.
> 
> btw, I'm sat in a hotel preparing a presentation for tomorrow on my X30
> using debian. I made a big screw up. I assumed OO Impress would work. It
> doesn't. It keeps freezing up the laptop for up to 40 seconds or so. A
> real heap of f***ing ***t. A gig of RAM too. CPU sat there at 100% for
> some reason. I just checked ps with "top". And guess what? Yup. The
> *SPLASHSCREEN* is sat there eating up the cpu. Go figure. Does anyone
> use and test this stuff?
> 
> No one to blame but myself of course, but makes me wonder what the hell
> brings people like that "dumbest poster" award winner RonB here with all
> his "works for me" lies.

My advice is DO NOT TAKE A CHANCE with OO for important documents.

Like I said in other posts, my daughter used it, saved as Word97 doc and
when the same document was opened in REAL MSOffice, the formatting was way
off.

This was a very simple doc.
Some bold face type, headers and footers (more like an outline in fact) and
it looked like shit.

Good thing I checked first.
I suggest you do the same.

I'd post it here but it contains too much personal information.
It's a document she needs to send with her application to Law School.

You reading this Roy Schestowitz?

Some people do things with their life.
Others, like you, Roy Schestowitz, sit in a dorm room, waste your parents
money and SPAM.
-- 
Moshe Goldfarb
Collector of soaps from around the globe.
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
0
brick.n.straw (6130)
2/17/2008 10:11:03 PM
On Feb 17, 4:44 pm, Hadron <hadronqu...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> RonB <ronb02NOS...@gmail.com> writes:
> > 7 wrote:
>
<retarded 7's garbage dumped>
>
> > In the United States you can find inexpensive Dell Optiplexes all the time
> > on eBay. The one I'm using (Pentium 4, 1.6mhz) cost $35, plus $30 for
> > shipping. I have never had any trouble loading any Linux or BSD on it.

There 7 GX240s that I have put together to create a mini beowulf
cluster. I am not happy with Dell GX240 at all. Yes, they are cheap
now and yes, most new distributions have no issues with GX240s
hardware but I just think I should trash them. They are just too slow
and I don't have time to play with them.

>
> Oh! Now I know why you were so amazed at running 3 things on it .... but
> sorry, Windows still can on that too.

Of course, on any given working day, I have more than 25 windows open
on an XP. FC4 (I know its old) does equally well on similar hardware.
I have no clue where RonB pulled out the 3-window comparison.

>
> btw, I'm sat in a hotel preparing a presentation for tomorrow on my X30
> using debian. I made a big screw up. I assumed OO Impress would work. It
> doesn't. It keeps freezing up the laptop for up to 40 seconds or so. A
> real heap of f***ing ***t. A gig of RAM too. CPU sat there at 100% for
> some reason. I just checked ps with "top". And guess what? Yup. The
> *SPLASHSCREEN* is sat there eating up the cpu. Go figure. Does anyone
> use and test this stuff?

That doesn't sound too good. I have been luckier. Impress has worked
quite well and has opened MSOs ppts effortlessly. Creating
presentations is a different story. MSO's powerpnt does not have an
equivalent yet. My preference is to create elegant powerpnt on MSO and
display them with Impress on Linux or MSO on Windows. For viewers, it
makes no difference what the underlying OS is. Ah, and am not saying
Impress hasn't crashed on me. It has! And no, I didn't bother to tell
OO about my experience; just didn't have the time then.

>
> No one to blame but myself of course, but makes me wonder what the hell
> brings people like that "dumbest poster" award winner RonB here with all
> his "works for me" lies.

0
2/17/2008 10:13:07 PM
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 23:07:53 +0100, Peter K�hlmann wrote:

> Hadron, I have seen *much* better lies from about any extremely stupid liar
> here in cola. This one is so obviously made up out of full cloth it isn't
> even funny anymore

Why bring Kelsey into this?
BTW you never seem to complain when she posts her obvious lies and made up
stories.


-- 
Moshe Goldfarb
Collector of soaps from around the globe.
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
0
brick.n.straw (6130)
2/17/2008 10:13:09 PM
Peter Köhlmann wrote:

>> No one to blame but myself of course, but makes me wonder what the hell
>> brings people like that "dumbest poster" award winner RonB here with all
>> his "works for me" lies.
> 
> Oh, now the "true linux advocate" Hadron Quark not only has a crashing OO
> (the editor part), but a Impress with a hanging splashscreen

Don't worry about the bitter Hadron. If I'm as dumb as he claims I am, it
makes my case for Linux desktop ease of installation even stronger. Even
the "dumbest poster" on COLA doesn't have a problem installing modern
distributions of Linux. Maybe I'm "dumb enough" not to overthink something
so simple.

-- 
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"
0
ronb02noSPAM (7426)
2/17/2008 10:15:08 PM
The racist, liar and software thief Gary Stewart (flatfish) nymshifted:

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 23:07:53 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
> 
>> Hadron, I have seen *much* better lies from about any extremely stupid
>> liar here in cola. This one is so obviously made up out of full cloth it
>> isn't even funny anymore
> 
> Why bring Kelsey into this?

Yes. Why do you?

> BTW you never seem to complain when she posts her obvious lies and made up
> stories.
> 
Yet you felt the need to protect your fellow "true linux advocate" Hadron
Quark by snipping everything which shows that he is simply making shit up. 

And to deflect the thread even more, you try to pull in posters who have not
yet contributed to the thread.

Typical troll action. But then, that's why you did it

-- 
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, For thou art crunchy, and good
with ketchup!

0
Peter.Koehlmann (13228)
2/17/2008 10:18:28 PM
Peter Köhlmann <peter.koehlmann@t-online.de> writes:

> Hadron wrote:
>
>> RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> writes:
>> 
>>> 7 wrote:
>>>
>>>> http://www.livecdlist.com
>>>> free to copy and install on as many machines as you
>>>> wish. PCs a heck of a lot cheap these days too.
>>>> At least 3 different Linux PCs available www.ebuyer.com
>>>> Also tesco is selling them www.tesco.com
>>>
>>> In the United States you can find inexpensive Dell Optiplexes all the
>>> time on eBay. The one I'm using (Pentium 4, 1.6mhz) cost $35, plus $30
>>> for shipping. I have never had any trouble loading any Linux or BSD on
>>> it.
>> 
>> 
>> Oh! Now I know why you were so amazed at running 3 things on it .... but
>> sorry, Windows still can on that too.
>> 
>> btw, I'm sat in a hotel preparing a presentation for tomorrow on my X30
>> using debian. I made a big screw up. I assumed OO Impress would work. It
>> doesn't. It keeps freezing up the laptop for up to 40 seconds or so. A
>> real heap of f***ing ***t. A gig of RAM too. CPU sat there at 100% for
>> some reason. I just checked ps with "top". And guess what? Yup. The
>> *SPLASHSCREEN* is sat there eating up the cpu. Go figure. Does anyone
>> use and test this stuff?
>> 
>> No one to blame but myself of course, but makes me wonder what the hell
>> brings people like that "dumbest poster" award winner RonB here with all
>> his "works for me" lies.
>
> Oh, now the "true linux advocate" Hadron Quark not only has a crashing OO
> (the editor part), but a Impress with a hanging splashscreen

Yup.

>
> Naturally the special Hadron Quark version, with built in problems

Latest one in debian lenny.

>
> I have *never* seen Impress sitting on any splashscreen. It starts in less
> than 3 seconds without a presentation, and depending on size of
> presentation in a few more. 

Bollox.

>
> Apart from the "fact" that Hadron sits in a hotel room, preparing a
> presentation for tomorrow, and has never before used Impress. Because

Not at the last minute when on a hotel wireless with debian no. I am
demoing a Linux system btw so screw you.

> otherwise he would have noticed that "special Hadron Quark feature",
> present only in his version of Impress

Only my self to blame. I hadnt seen this before. But its here.

>
> Hadron, I have seen *much* better lies from about any extremely stupid liar
> here in cola. This one is so obviously made up out of full cloth it isn't
> even funny anymore

The sorry thing is that it is not made up.
0
hadronquark2 (7213)
2/17/2008 10:21:14 PM
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 23:18:28 +0100, Peter K�hlmann wrote:

> The racist, liar and software thief Gary Stewart (flatfish) nymshifted:
> 
>> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 23:07:53 +0100, Peter K�hlmann wrote:
>> 
>>> Hadron, I have seen *much* better lies from about any extremely stupid
>>> liar here in cola. This one is so obviously made up out of full cloth it
>>> isn't even funny anymore
>> 
>> Why bring Kelsey into this?
> 
> Yes. Why do you?
> 
>> BTW you never seem to complain when she posts her obvious lies and made up
>> stories.
>> 
> Yet you felt the need to protect your fellow "true linux advocate" Hadron
> Quark by snipping everything which shows that he is simply making shit up. 
> 
> And to deflect the thread even more, you try to pull in posters who have not
> yet contributed to the thread.
> 
> Typical troll action. But then, that's why you did it

I'm not protecting anybody.
I've posted my problems with OO and they are fact.

And that's the Linux version!

Last time I tried OO, windows version on my laptop, it slowed the machine
down to a crawl.

-- 
Moshe Goldfarb
Collector of soaps from around the globe.
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
0
brick.n.straw (6130)
2/17/2008 10:24:35 PM
Moshe Goldfarb <brick.n.straw@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 23:18:28 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>
>> The racist, liar and software thief Gary Stewart (flatfish) nymshifted:
>> 
>>> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 23:07:53 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>>> 
>>>> Hadron, I have seen *much* better lies from about any extremely stupid
>>>> liar here in cola. This one is so obviously made up out of full cloth it
>>>> isn't even funny anymore
>>> 
>>> Why bring Kelsey into this?
>> 
>> Yes. Why do you?
>> 
>>> BTW you never seem to complain when she posts her obvious lies and made up
>>> stories.
>>> 
>> Yet you felt the need to protect your fellow "true linux advocate" Hadron
>> Quark by snipping everything which shows that he is simply making shit up. 
>> 
>> And to deflect the thread even more, you try to pull in posters who have not
>> yet contributed to the thread.
>> 
>> Typical troll action. But then, that's why you did it
>
> I'm not protecting anybody.
> I've posted my problems with OO and they are fact.
>
> And that's the Linux version!
>
> Last time I tried OO, windows version on my laptop, it slowed the machine
> down to a crawl.

It is simply too slow to run on an x30 thinkpad with a gig of ram. Sorry
and all that, but it is. It has always been a dog and nothing has changed.

The only liars are these "OO opens in 1 second and is 100% compatible"
fibbers like proven liar and fraud (and DFS's beotch) WronG.
0
hadronquark2 (7213)
2/17/2008 10:40:16 PM
RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> writes:

> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>
>>> No one to blame but myself of course, but makes me wonder what the hell
>>> brings people like that "dumbest poster" award winner RonB here with all
>>> his "works for me" lies.
>> 
>> Oh, now the "true linux advocate" Hadron Quark not only has a crashing OO
>> (the editor part), but a Impress with a hanging splashscreen
>
> Don't worry about the bitter Hadron. If I'm as dumb as he claims I am, it
> makes my case for Linux desktop ease of installation even stronger. Even
> the "dumbest poster" on COLA doesn't have a problem installing modern
> distributions of Linux. Maybe I'm "dumb enough" not to overthink something
> so simple.

I use a non stable distro WronG. my fault I guess. I dont, like the
developers, do a full regression test when Lenny updates. More fool me.

And no one is talking about installing.

But you are the thickest, most foul mouthed poster in COLA: I do agree
with you on that one. You are also DFS's bitch.
0
hadronquark2 (7213)
2/17/2008 10:42:40 PM
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 23:40:16 +0100, Hadron wrote:

> Moshe Goldfarb <brick.n.straw@gmail.com> writes:
> 
>> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 23:18:28 +0100, Peter K�hlmann wrote:
>>
>>> The racist, liar and software thief Gary Stewart (flatfish) nymshifted:
>>> 
>>>> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 23:07:53 +0100, Peter K�hlmann wrote:
>>>> 
>>>>> Hadron, I have seen *much* better lies from about any extremely stupid
>>>>> liar here in cola. This one is so obviously made up out of full cloth it
>>>>> isn't even funny anymore
>>>> 
>>>> Why bring Kelsey into this?
>>> 
>>> Yes. Why do you?
>>> 
>>>> BTW you never seem to complain when she posts her obvious lies and made up
>>>> stories.
>>>> 
>>> Yet you felt the need to protect your fellow "true linux advocate" Hadron
>>> Quark by snipping everything which shows that he is simply making shit up. 
>>> 
>>> And to deflect the thread even more, you try to pull in posters who have not
>>> yet contributed to the thread.
>>> 
>>> Typical troll action. But then, that's why you did it
>>
>> I'm not protecting anybody.
>> I've posted my problems with OO and they are fact.
>>
>> And that's the Linux version!
>>
>> Last time I tried OO, windows version on my laptop, it slowed the machine
>> down to a crawl.
> 
> It is simply too slow to run on an x30 thinkpad with a gig of ram. Sorry
> and all that, but it is. It has always been a dog and nothing has changed.
> 
> The only liars are these "OO opens in 1 second and is 100% compatible"
> fibbers like proven liar and fraud (and DFS's beotch) WronG.

I have a Thinkpad T42 and Open Office slowed it down to a crawl.
I have MSOffice 2003 on it and it runs fine.
Good thing I imaged the drive before installing that piece of crap Open
Office.

-- 
Moshe Goldfarb
Collector of soaps from around the globe.
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
0
brick.n.straw (6130)
2/17/2008 10:44:28 PM
Hadron wrote:

> Peter Köhlmann <peter.koehlmann@t-online.de> writes:
> 
>> Hadron wrote:
>>
>>> RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> writes:
>>> 
>>>> 7 wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> http://www.livecdlist.com
>>>>> free to copy and install on as many machines as you
>>>>> wish. PCs a heck of a lot cheap these days too.
>>>>> At least 3 different Linux PCs available www.ebuyer.com
>>>>> Also tesco is selling them www.tesco.com
>>>>
>>>> In the United States you can find inexpensive Dell Optiplexes all the
>>>> time on eBay. The one I'm using (Pentium 4, 1.6mhz) cost $35, plus $30
>>>> for shipping. I have never had any trouble loading any Linux or BSD on
>>>> it.
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Oh! Now I know why you were so amazed at running 3 things on it .... but
>>> sorry, Windows still can on that too.
>>> 
>>> btw, I'm sat in a hotel preparing a presentation for tomorrow on my X30
>>> using debian. I made a big screw up. I assumed OO Impress would work. It
>>> doesn't. It keeps freezing up the laptop for up to 40 seconds or so. A
>>> real heap of f***ing ***t. A gig of RAM too. CPU sat there at 100% for
>>> some reason. I just checked ps with "top". And guess what? Yup. The
>>> *SPLASHSCREEN* is sat there eating up the cpu. Go figure. Does anyone
>>> use and test this stuff?
>>> 
>>> No one to blame but myself of course, but makes me wonder what the hell
>>> brings people like that "dumbest poster" award winner RonB here with all
>>> his "works for me" lies.
>>
>> Oh, now the "true linux advocate" Hadron Quark not only has a crashing OO
>> (the editor part), but a Impress with a hanging splashscreen
> 
> Yup.
> 

As I said, it is the "special screwed and tampered Hadron Quark version"

>> Naturally the special Hadron Quark version, with built in problems
> 
> Latest one in debian lenny.

Version number?
And, BTW, I have used Impress since years. It never hang 
>>
>> I have *never* seen Impress sitting on any splashscreen. It starts in
>> less than 3 seconds without a presentation, and depending on size of
>> presentation in a few more.
> 
> Bollox.

Right. I just timed it again. It is *two* seconds, not three

>>
>> Apart from the "fact" that Hadron sits in a hotel room, preparing a
>> presentation for tomorrow, and has never before used Impress. Because
> 
> Not at the last minute when on a hotel wireless with debian no. I am
> demoing a Linux system btw so screw you.

Naturally. And since it is for tomorrow, you are doing it now. And have
never before used Impress to notice that "splashscreen" which "peggs the
CPU at 100%"
Otherwise you naturally have prepared it somewhat earlier, and used
something which actually works, right, Hadron?
After all, you don't want to be caught with your pants down in
that "presentation" you are hallucinating, explaining why you did use a
tool "obviously unfit for the task" and you did not notice until the last
moment, when all odds where off

And so sad, so bad, that "demo" of a linux system you are hallucinating
about proves beyond doubt that those guys better keep to PowerPoint.

>> otherwise he would have noticed that "special Hadron Quark feature",
>> present only in his version of Impress
> 
> Only my self to blame. I hadnt seen this before. But its here.

I believe you. I really do. After all, you have these strange crashes with
OO too, which is obviously a "special crashing Hadron Quark" version, as
nobody else seems to share your "problems"
 
>>
>> Hadron, I have seen *much* better lies from about any extremely stupid
>> liar here in cola. This one is so obviously made up out of full cloth it
>> isn't even funny anymore
> 
> The sorry thing is that it is not made up.

The sorry thing is that it is so obviously made up. So incompetently made
up, and so easily to look through the scam, that you should be ashamed of
yourself and your gross incompetence in being a liar

Naturally, after your "presentation" will show Impress as unuseable, you no
longer keep working on it, but instead tell the "impressed" readership in
COLA that you have "found" another non-working tool...
-- 
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice which can be equally well
explained by stupidity

0
Peter.Koehlmann (13228)
2/17/2008 10:45:26 PM
Hadron wrote:

> RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> writes:
> 
>> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>>
>>>> No one to blame but myself of course, but makes me wonder what the hell
>>>> brings people like that "dumbest poster" award winner RonB here with
>>>> all his "works for me" lies.
>>> 
>>> Oh, now the "true linux advocate" Hadron Quark not only has a crashing
>>> OO (the editor part), but a Impress with a hanging splashscreen
>>
>> Don't worry about the bitter Hadron. If I'm as dumb as he claims I am, it
>> makes my case for Linux desktop ease of installation even stronger. Even
>> the "dumbest poster" on COLA doesn't have a problem installing modern
>> distributions of Linux. Maybe I'm "dumb enough" not to overthink
>> something so simple.
> 
> I use a non stable distro WronG. my fault I guess. I dont, like the
> developers, do a full regression test when Lenny updates. More fool me.

Yes, you really should blame yourself for bringing a computer with a distro
you yourself describe as "everything but stable" to a "presentation" you
are hallucinating about
After all, a person with half a brain would have taken a machine in a known
good condition, with a setup which actually works, and with tools already
tested before dropping into a hotel room with a meeting taken place
tomorrow.
And nobody with an IQ above single digits would "prepare a presentation" on
a tool he is running for the very first time, like you do

And quit your "full regression test" idiocy. That one doesn't fly either.
There was no update to OO the last days (or even weeks, for that matter)
-- 
Support your local Search and Rescue unit -- get lost.

0
Peter.Koehlmann (13228)
2/17/2008 11:02:14 PM
Peter Köhlmann <peter.koehlmann@t-online.de> writes:

> Hadron wrote:
>
>> Peter Köhlmann <peter.koehlmann@t-online.de> writes:
>> 
>>> Hadron wrote:
>>>
>>>> RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> writes:
>>>> 
>>>>> 7 wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> http://www.livecdlist.com
>>>>>> free to copy and install on as many machines as you
>>>>>> wish. PCs a heck of a lot cheap these days too.
>>>>>> At least 3 different Linux PCs available www.ebuyer.com
>>>>>> Also tesco is selling them www.tesco.com
>>>>>
>>>>> In the United States you can find inexpensive Dell Optiplexes all the
>>>>> time on eBay. The one I'm using (Pentium 4, 1.6mhz) cost $35, plus $30
>>>>> for shipping. I have never had any trouble loading any Linux or BSD on
>>>>> it.
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> Oh! Now I know why you were so amazed at running 3 things on it .... but
>>>> sorry, Windows still can on that too.
>>>> 
>>>> btw, I'm sat in a hotel preparing a presentation for tomorrow on my X30
>>>> using debian. I made a big screw up. I assumed OO Impress would work. It
>>>> doesn't. It keeps freezing up the laptop for up to 40 seconds or so. A
>>>> real heap of f***ing ***t. A gig of RAM too. CPU sat there at 100% for
>>>> some reason. I just checked ps with "top". And guess what? Yup. The
>>>> *SPLASHSCREEN* is sat there eating up the cpu. Go figure. Does anyone
>>>> use and test this stuff?
>>>> 
>>>> No one to blame but myself of course, but makes me wonder what the hell
>>>> brings people like that "dumbest poster" award winner RonB here with all
>>>> his "works for me" lies.
>>>
>>> Oh, now the "true linux advocate" Hadron Quark not only has a crashing OO
>>> (the editor part), but a Impress with a hanging splashscreen
>> 
>> Yup.
>> 
>
> As I said, it is the "special screwed and tampered Hadron Quark
> version"

I dont know that one. I dont use OO enough. The demo has been thrown at
me at short notice. I make do wiht what I have. And OO Impress does not.
>
>>> Naturally the special Hadron Quark version, with built in problems
>> 
>> Latest one in debian lenny.
>
> Version number?

2.3.1.5

> And, BTW, I have used Impress since years. It never hang 

You're a liar. You're a windows developer.

>>>
>>> I have *never* seen Impress sitting on any splashscreen. It starts in
>>> less than 3 seconds without a presentation, and depending on size of
>>> presentation in a few more.
>> 
>> Bollox.
>
> Right. I just timed it again. It is *two* seconds, not three

On an X30?

>
>>>
>>> Apart from the "fact" that Hadron sits in a hotel room, preparing a
>>> presentation for tomorrow, and has never before used Impress. Because
>> 
>> Not at the last minute when on a hotel wireless with debian no. I am
>> demoing a Linux system btw so screw you.
>
> Naturally. And since it is for tomorrow, you are doing it now. And have
> never before used Impress to notice that "splashscreen" which "peggs the
> CPU at 100%"

First and only time it has happened. Working now, but SLOW..SLOW.

> Otherwise you naturally have prepared it somewhat earlier, and used
> something which actually works, right, Hadron?

I wish I had, yes.

> After all, you don't want to be caught with your pants down in
> that "presentation" you are hallucinating, explaining why you did use a
> tool "obviously unfit for the task" and you did not notice until the last
> moment, when all odds where off

I hadn't expected Impress to be so useless on this oldish laptop I must
admit. I have advocated Linux on this machine many times.

>
> And so sad, so bad, that "demo" of a linux system you are hallucinating
> about proves beyond doubt that those guys better keep to PowerPoint.

I doubt it. These guys are end users in a range of small retail
outlets. They wont be using Impress.
>
>>> otherwise he would have noticed that "special Hadron Quark feature",
>>> present only in his version of Impress
>> 
>> Only my self to blame. I hadnt seen this before. But its here.
>
> I believe you. I really do. After all, you have these strange crashes with
> OO too, which is obviously a "special crashing Hadron Quark" version, as
> nobody else seems to share your "problems"

And we are to believe you? he who tells lies about 64 bit working and
memory usage? Please!
>  
>>>
>>> Hadron, I have seen *much* better lies from about any extremely stupid
>>> liar here in cola. This one is so obviously made up out of full cloth it
>>> isn't even funny anymore
>> 
>> The sorry thing is that it is not made up.
>
> The sorry thing is that it is so obviously made up. So incompetently made
> up, and so easily to look through the scam, that you should be ashamed of
> yourself and your gross incompetence in being a liar

This convinces me you do not even use OO. if you did you would know it's
a buggy heap at the best of times.

>
> Naturally, after your "presentation" will show Impress as unuseable, you no
> longer keep working on it, but instead tell the "impressed" readership in
> COLA that you have "found" another non-working tool...

OO is my biggest bug bear in recommending Linux. It's rubbish.

-- 
Murphy was an optimist.
0
hadronquark2 (7213)
2/17/2008 11:22:17 PM
Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> Hadron wrote:
> 
>> Peter Köhlmann <peter.koehlmann@t-online.de> writes:
>> 
>>> Hadron wrote:
>>>
>>>> RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> writes:
>>>> 
>>>>> 7 wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> http://www.livecdlist.com
>>>>>> free to copy and install on as many machines as you
>>>>>> wish. PCs a heck of a lot cheap these days too.
>>>>>> At least 3 different Linux PCs available www.ebuyer.com
>>>>>> Also tesco is selling them www.tesco.com
>>>>>
>>>>> In the United States you can find inexpensive Dell Optiplexes all the
>>>>> time on eBay. The one I'm using (Pentium 4, 1.6mhz) cost $35, plus $30
>>>>> for shipping. I have never had any trouble loading any Linux or BSD on
>>>>> it.
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> Oh! Now I know why you were so amazed at running 3 things on it .... but
>>>> sorry, Windows still can on that too.
>>>> 
>>>> btw, I'm sat in a hotel preparing a presentation for tomorrow on my X30
>>>> using debian. I made a big screw up. I assumed OO Impress would work. It
>>>> doesn't. It keeps freezing up the laptop for up to 40 seconds or so. A
>>>> real heap of f***ing ***t. A gig of RAM too. CPU sat there at 100% for
>>>> some reason. I just checked ps with "top". And guess what? Yup. The
>>>> *SPLASHSCREEN* is sat there eating up the cpu. Go figure. Does anyone
>>>> use and test this stuff?
>>>> 
>>>> No one to blame but myself of course, but makes me wonder what the hell
>>>> brings people like that "dumbest poster" award winner RonB here with all
>>>> his "works for me" lies.
>>>
>>> Oh, now the "true linux advocate" Hadron Quark not only has a crashing OO
>>> (the editor part), but a Impress with a hanging splashscreen
>> 
>> Yup.
>> 
> 
> As I said, it is the "special screwed and tampered Hadron Quark version"
> 
>>> Naturally the special Hadron Quark version, with built in problems
>> 
>> Latest one in debian lenny.
> 
> Version number?
> And, BTW, I have used Impress since years. It never hang

>>> I have *never* seen Impress sitting on any splashscreen. It starts in
>>> less than 3 seconds without a presentation, and depending on size of
>>> presentation in a few more.
>> 
>> Bollox.
> 
> Right. I just timed it again. It is *two* seconds, not three
> 
>>>
>>> Apart from the "fact" that Hadron sits in a hotel room, preparing a
>>> presentation for tomorrow, and has never before used Impress. Because
>> 
>> Not at the last minute when on a hotel wireless with debian no. I am
>> demoing a Linux system btw so screw you.

Well *if* you believe Quack actually uses linux, Debian "Lenny" is a beta
version & still in "Testing", & the Quack troll says he's using this as a demo?
FFS, is that troll stupid or what.

> Naturally. And since it is for tomorrow, you are doing it now. And have
> never before used Impress to notice that "splashscreen" which "peggs the
> CPU at 100%"
> Otherwise you naturally have prepared it somewhat earlier, and used
> something which actually works, right, Hadron?
> After all, you don't want to be caught with your pants down in
> that "presentation" you are hallucinating, explaining why you did use a
> tool "obviously unfit for the task" and you did not notice until the last
> moment, when all odds where off
> 
> And so sad, so bad, that "demo" of a linux system you are hallucinating
> about proves beyond doubt that those guys better keep to PowerPoint.
> 
>>> otherwise he would have noticed that "special Hadron Quark feature",
>>> present only in his version of Impress
>> 
>> Only my self to blame. I hadnt seen this before. But its here.
> 
> I believe you. I really do. After all, you have these strange crashes with
> OO too, which is obviously a "special crashing Hadron Quark" version, as
> nobody else seems to share your "problems"
>  
>>>
>>> Hadron, I have seen *much* better lies from about any extremely stupid
>>> liar here in cola. This one is so obviously made up out of full cloth it
>>> isn't even funny anymore
>> 
>> The sorry thing is that it is not made up.
> 
> The sorry thing is that it is so obviously made up. So incompetently made
> up, and so easily to look through the scam, that you should be ashamed of
> yourself and your gross incompetence in being a liar
> 
He can't even do that right. Pathetic.

> Naturally, after your "presentation" will show Impress as unuseable, you no
> longer keep working on it, but instead tell the "impressed" readership in
> COLA that you have "found" another non-working tool...



-- 
Free-BSD 7.0, PC-BSD 1.4
Linux systems: PCLOS 2007, Mandrake One 2008,
Fedora 8, Kubuntu 7.10. 
-- On 64bit systems --
0
wp16 (1499)
2/17/2008 11:27:56 PM
Peter K�hlmann wrote:

> I have *never* seen Impress sitting on any splashscreen.

Then you keep your eyes closed while it starts up.


> It starts in less than 3 seconds without a presentation, and depending on 
> size of
> presentation in a few more.

That's 'cause you're a liar, dumbkopf.  Everyone for years has complained 
about SlowToOpenOffice.

It usually takes 12 seconds to cold start on my (and everyone else's) speedy 
systems.  After that it's 3-4 seconds.



0
nospam11 (18349)
2/17/2008 11:28:24 PM
Peter Köhlmann <peter.koehlmann@t-online.de> writes:

> Hadron wrote:
>
>> RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> writes:
>> 
>>> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>>>
>>>>> No one to blame but myself of course, but makes me wonder what the hell
>>>>> brings people like that "dumbest poster" award winner RonB here with
>>>>> all his "works for me" lies.
>>>> 
>>>> Oh, now the "true linux advocate" Hadron Quark not only has a crashing
>>>> OO (the editor part), but a Impress with a hanging splashscreen
>>>
>>> Don't worry about the bitter Hadron. If I'm as dumb as he claims I am, it
>>> makes my case for Linux desktop ease of installation even stronger. Even
>>> the "dumbest poster" on COLA doesn't have a problem installing modern
>>> distributions of Linux. Maybe I'm "dumb enough" not to overthink
>>> something so simple.
>> 
>> I use a non stable distro WronG. my fault I guess. I dont, like the
>> developers, do a full regression test when Lenny updates. More fool me.
>
> Yes, you really should blame yourself for bringing a computer with a distro
> you yourself describe as "everything but stable" to a "presentation" you
> are hallucinating about

I do blame myself. I should have tried Impress before. Had I known about
the demo. Still, not to worry. I can get around it.

> After all, a person with half a brain would have taken a machine in a known
> good condition, with a setup which actually works, and with tools already
> tested before dropping into a hotel room with a meeting taken place
> tomorrow.

Had they known they would be giving it, yes. Regardless, I *should* have
ensured all such tools worked properly. It looks like new laptop time
too - this x30 is simply not powerful enough to run OO. OO is a dog and
you know it.

> And nobody with an IQ above single digits would "prepare a presentation" on
> a tool he is running for the very first time, like you do

I have used Impress before. A long time ago. On my main development
machine. It was slow there too.
>
> And quit your "full regression test" idiocy. That one doesn't fly either.
> There was no update to OO the last days (or even weeks, for that
> matter)

Which shows how clueless you are about how programs work on a
platform. Regression tests exist for a reason. But being a Windows
hacker you probably do not understand this simply policy.
0
hadronquark2 (7213)
2/17/2008 11:30:15 PM
Hadron wrote:

> Peter Köhlmann <peter.koehlmann@t-online.de> writes:
> 
>> Hadron wrote:
>>

< snip Hadron Quark lunacy >
 
>>
>> Naturally, after your "presentation" will show Impress as unuseable, you
>> no longer keep working on it, but instead tell the "impressed" readership
>> in COLA that you have "found" another non-working tool...
> 
> OO is my biggest bug bear in recommending Linux. It's rubbish.
> 

Naturally, Hadron, naturally
Now here's your meds
-- 
If you're right 90% of the time, why quibble about the remaining 3%?

0
Peter.Koehlmann (13228)
2/17/2008 11:30:46 PM
DFS wrote:

> Peter K�hlmann wrote:
> 
>> I have *never* seen Impress sitting on any splashscreen.
> 
> Then you keep your eyes closed while it starts up.

No. I just don't see it long enough to 
> 
>> It starts in less than 3 seconds without a presentation, and depending on
>> size of
>> presentation in a few more.
> 
> That's 'cause you're a liar, dumbkopf.  Everyone for years has complained
> about SlowToOpenOffice.

No. Trolls have "complained".
And it was never true.

> It usually takes 12 seconds to cold start on my (and everyone else's)
> speedy
> systems.  After that it's 3-4 seconds.

Poor DumbFullShit. Here it starts in 3-4 seconds cold.
Maybe you would have money left to buy a system not destinied for the
junkyard if you would not have to pay so much for your MS garbage?

You can claim anything you want, but OO starts on my system at worst 2
seconds slower than MS Office
And additionally I would not care about even 20 seconds, because when I am
actually working on projects needing a Office suite, I simply leave it
open. It does not hinder working in whichever way on linux
-- 
Warning: 10 days have passed since your last Windows reinstall.

0
Peter.Koehlmann (13228)
2/17/2008 11:37:54 PM
William Poaster <wp@leafnode.amd64.eu> writes:

> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>
>> Hadron wrote:
>> 
>>> Peter Köhlmann <peter.koehlmann@t-online.de> writes:
>>> 
>>>> Hadron wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> writes:
>>>>> 
>>>>>> 7 wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> http://www.livecdlist.com
>>>>>>> free to copy and install on as many machines as you
>>>>>>> wish. PCs a heck of a lot cheap these days too.
>>>>>>> At least 3 different Linux PCs available www.ebuyer.com
>>>>>>> Also tesco is selling them www.tesco.com
>>>>>>
>>>>>> In the United States you can find inexpensive Dell Optiplexes all the
>>>>>> time on eBay. The one I'm using (Pentium 4, 1.6mhz) cost $35, plus $30
>>>>>> for shipping. I have never had any trouble loading any Linux or BSD on
>>>>>> it.
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> Oh! Now I know why you were so amazed at running 3 things on it .... but
>>>>> sorry, Windows still can on that too.
>>>>> 
>>>>> btw, I'm sat in a hotel preparing a presentation for tomorrow on my X30
>>>>> using debian. I made a big screw up. I assumed OO Impress would work. It
>>>>> doesn't. It keeps freezing up the laptop for up to 40 seconds or so. A
>>>>> real heap of f***ing ***t. A gig of RAM too. CPU sat there at 100% for
>>>>> some reason. I just checked ps with "top". And guess what? Yup. The
>>>>> *SPLASHSCREEN* is sat there eating up the cpu. Go figure. Does anyone
>>>>> use and test this stuff?
>>>>> 
>>>>> No one to blame but myself of course, but makes me wonder what the hell
>>>>> brings people like that "dumbest poster" award winner RonB here with all
>>>>> his "works for me" lies.
>>>>
>>>> Oh, now the "true linux advocate" Hadron Quark not only has a crashing OO
>>>> (the editor part), but a Impress with a hanging splashscreen
>>> 
>>> Yup.
>>> 
>> 
>> As I said, it is the "special screwed and tampered Hadron Quark version"
>> 
>>>> Naturally the special Hadron Quark version, with built in problems
>>> 
>>> Latest one in debian lenny.
>> 
>> Version number?
>> And, BTW, I have used Impress since years. It never hang
>
>>>> I have *never* seen Impress sitting on any splashscreen. It starts in
>>>> less than 3 seconds without a presentation, and depending on size of
>>>> presentation in a few more.
>>> 
>>> Bollox.
>> 
>> Right. I just timed it again. It is *two* seconds, not three
>> 
>>>>
>>>> Apart from the "fact" that Hadron sits in a hotel room, preparing a
>>>> presentation for tomorrow, and has never before used Impress. Because
>>> 
>>> Not at the last minute when on a hotel wireless with debian no. I am
>>> demoing a Linux system btw so screw you.
>
> Well *if* you believe Quack actually uses linux, Debian "Lenny" is a beta
> version & still in "Testing", & the Quack troll says he's using this as a demo?
> FFS, is that troll stupid or what.

Stop pretending you understand Debian.

I can not use Stable/Etch as it simply doesn't work well enough and I
dont have the time nor the energy to pin everything I need/do not need
accordingly. All the IMPORTANT things for the demo work fine - its only
shitty OO that bring the excrement to the buffet again. I develop
against Lenny for a reason. You would not understand of course. A bit
like Peter not understanding regression testing.
0
hadronquark2 (7213)
2/17/2008 11:38:42 PM
Hadron wrote:

> William Poaster <wp@leafnode.amd64.eu> writes:
> 
>> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>>
>>> Hadron wrote:
>>> 
>>>> Peter Köhlmann <peter.koehlmann@t-online.de> writes:
>>>> 
>>>>> Hadron wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> writes:
>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 7 wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> http://www.livecdlist.com
>>>>>>>> free to copy and install on as many machines as you
>>>>>>>> wish. PCs a heck of a lot cheap these days too.
>>>>>>>> At least 3 different Linux PCs available www.ebuyer.com
>>>>>>>> Also tesco is selling them www.tesco.com
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> In the United States you can find inexpensive Dell Optiplexes all
>>>>>>> the time on eBay. The one I'm using (Pentium 4, 1.6mhz) cost $35,
>>>>>>> plus $30 for shipping. I have never had any trouble loading any
>>>>>>> Linux or BSD on it.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Oh! Now I know why you were so amazed at running 3 things on it ....
>>>>>> but sorry, Windows still can on that too.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> btw, I'm sat in a hotel preparing a presentation for tomorrow on my
>>>>>> X30 using debian. I made a big screw up. I assumed OO Impress would
>>>>>> work. It doesn't. It keeps freezing up the laptop for up to 40
>>>>>> seconds or so. A real heap of f***ing ***t. A gig of RAM too. CPU sat
>>>>>> there at 100% for some reason. I just checked ps with "top". And
>>>>>> guess what? Yup. The *SPLASHSCREEN* is sat there eating up the cpu.
>>>>>> Go figure. Does anyone use and test this stuff?
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> No one to blame but myself of course, but makes me wonder what the
>>>>>> hell brings people like that "dumbest poster" award winner RonB here
>>>>>> with all his "works for me" lies.
>>>>>
>>>>> Oh, now the "true linux advocate" Hadron Quark not only has a crashing
>>>>> OO (the editor part), but a Impress with a hanging splashscreen
>>>> 
>>>> Yup.
>>>> 
>>> 
>>> As I said, it is the "special screwed and tampered Hadron Quark version"
>>> 
>>>>> Naturally the special Hadron Quark version, with built in problems
>>>> 
>>>> Latest one in debian lenny.
>>> 
>>> Version number?
>>> And, BTW, I have used Impress since years. It never hang
>>
>>>>> I have *never* seen Impress sitting on any splashscreen. It starts in
>>>>> less than 3 seconds without a presentation, and depending on size of
>>>>> presentation in a few more.
>>>> 
>>>> Bollox.
>>> 
>>> Right. I just timed it again. It is *two* seconds, not three
>>> 
>>>>>
>>>>> Apart from the "fact" that Hadron sits in a hotel room, preparing a
>>>>> presentation for tomorrow, and has never before used Impress. Because
>>>> 
>>>> Not at the last minute when on a hotel wireless with debian no. I am
>>>> demoing a Linux system btw so screw you.
>>
>> Well *if* you believe Quack actually uses linux, Debian "Lenny" is a beta
>> version & still in "Testing", & the Quack troll says he's using this as a
>> demo? FFS, is that troll stupid or what.
> 
> Stop pretending you understand Debian.
> 
> I can not use Stable/Etch as it simply doesn't work well enough and I
> dont have the time nor the energy to pin everything I need/do not need
> accordingly. 

Naturally not. After all, lying and trolling in COLA leaves just so much
time

> All the IMPORTANT things for the demo work fine - its only 
> shitty OO that bring the excrement to the buffet again. 

Well, who would have thunk it?

> I develop against Lenny for a reason. 

Well, you are naturally not free to disclose that "reason"

> You would not understand of course. A bit 
> like Peter not understanding regression testing.

That much is clear. After all, I am doing programming just the last 30
years. "Regression testing" is due in 10 years
-- 
I say you need to visit Clues 'R' Us. They are having a special on 
slightly used clues.

0
Peter.Koehlmann (13228)
2/17/2008 11:47:40 PM
v cube wrote:

> my experience is available at
>
http://groups.google.co.in/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_thread/thread/6fb0ed2888acab2e?hl=en#

And you learned nothing.

-- 

Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)
0
jmcbride (776)
2/18/2008 12:14:05 AM
Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> Hadron wrote:
> 
>> William Poaster <wp@leafnode.amd64.eu> writes:
>> 
>>> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hadron wrote:
>>>> 
>>>>> Peter Köhlmann <peter.koehlmann@t-online.de> writes:
>>>>> 
>>>>>> Hadron wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> writes:
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> 7 wrote:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> http://www.livecdlist.com
>>>>>>>>> free to copy and install on as many machines as you
>>>>>>>>> wish. PCs a heck of a lot cheap these days too.
>>>>>>>>> At least 3 different Linux PCs available www.ebuyer.com
>>>>>>>>> Also tesco is selling them www.tesco.com
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> In the United States you can find inexpensive Dell Optiplexes all
>>>>>>>> the time on eBay. The one I'm using (Pentium 4, 1.6mhz) cost $35,
>>>>>>>> plus $30 for shipping. I have never had any trouble loading any
>>>>>>>> Linux or BSD on it.
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> Oh! Now I know why you were so amazed at running 3 things on it ....
>>>>>>> but sorry, Windows still can on that too.
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> btw, I'm sat in a hotel preparing a presentation for tomorrow on my
>>>>>>> X30 using debian. I made a big screw up. I assumed OO Impress would
>>>>>>> work. It doesn't. It keeps freezing up the laptop for up to 40
>>>>>>> seconds or so. A real heap of f***ing ***t. A gig of RAM too. CPU sat
>>>>>>> there at 100% for some reason. I just checked ps with "top". And
>>>>>>> guess what? Yup. The *SPLASHSCREEN* is sat there eating up the cpu.
>>>>>>> Go figure. Does anyone use and test this stuff?
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> No one to blame but myself of course, but makes me wonder what the
>>>>>>> hell brings people like that "dumbest poster" award winner RonB here
>>>>>>> with all his "works for me" lies.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Oh, now the "true linux advocate" Hadron Quark not only has a crashing
>>>>>> OO (the editor part), but a Impress with a hanging splashscreen
>>>>> 
>>>>> Yup.
>>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> As I said, it is the "special screwed and tampered Hadron Quark version"
>>>> 
>>>>>> Naturally the special Hadron Quark version, with built in problems
>>>>> 
>>>>> Latest one in debian lenny.
>>>> 
>>>> Version number?
>>>> And, BTW, I have used Impress since years. It never hang
>>>
>>>>>> I have *never* seen Impress sitting on any splashscreen. It starts in
>>>>>> less than 3 seconds without a presentation, and depending on size of
>>>>>> presentation in a few more.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Bollox.
>>>> 
>>>> Right. I just timed it again. It is *two* seconds, not three
>>>> 
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Apart from the "fact" that Hadron sits in a hotel room, preparing a
>>>>>> presentation for tomorrow, and has never before used Impress. Because
>>>>> 
>>>>> Not at the last minute when on a hotel wireless with debian no. I am
>>>>> demoing a Linux system btw so screw you.
>>>
>>> Well *if* you believe Quack actually uses linux, Debian "Lenny" is a beta
>>> version & still in "Testing", & the Quack troll says he's using this as a
>>> demo? FFS, is that troll stupid or what.
>> 
>> Stop pretending you understand Debian.
>> 
>> I can not use Stable/Etch as it simply doesn't work well enough and I
>> dont have the time nor the energy to pin everything I need/do not need
>> accordingly.
> 
> Naturally not. After all, lying and trolling in COLA leaves just so much
> time

Funny it works well enough that people use it, & recommend it, as a server OS
isn't it. 

>> All the IMPORTANT things for the demo work fine - its only
>> shitty OO that bring the excrement to the buffet again.
> 
> Well, who would have thunk it?
> 
>> I develop against Lenny for a reason.
> 
> Well, you are naturally not free to disclose that "reason"

Because he probably wants to sabotage it, & then he can crow that it doesn't
work & people should use windoze.

>> You would not understand of course. A bit
>> like Peter not understanding regression testing.
> 
> That much is clear. After all, I am doing programming just the last 30
> years. "Regression testing" is due in 10 years

-- 
Free-BSD 7.0, PC-BSD 1.4
Linux systems: PCLOS 2007, Mandrake One 2008,
Fedora 8, Kubuntu 7.10. 
-- On 64bit systems --
0
wp16 (1499)
2/18/2008 12:39:46 AM
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 00:30:15 +0100, Hadron <hadronquark@googlemail.com> 
wrote:

>>> I use a non stable distro WronG. my fault I guess. I dont, like the 
>>> developers, do a full regression test when Lenny updates. More fool 
>>> me.

Surprisingly (well, not really that surprising), neither the Impress in 
Stable nor the one in Sid hangs for me the way you described.

Really, who are you trying to kid here? You want us to believe that it 
hangs at the *splash screen* and nobody ever noticed until you started 
it up in some hotel room?

And then, before you've fixed the problem, you run off to post your tale 
of woe to COLA.  Yeah, that'd be my first reaction when sitting in a 
hotel room with a broken laptop and a presentation due in the morning.

I think I'd be down in the hotel business center getting the damn thing 
done.  But that's just me I guess.


> It looks like new laptop time too - this x30 is simply not powerful 
> enough to run OO. OO is a dog and you know it.

You don't say.  I work on presentations with Impress once in a while at 
the office.  The work machine is a Pentium-M 1.6 GHz with 512 MB.  It 
isn't the fastest thing in the world but it is perfectly adequate for 
running Impress, even with very large presentations.

Then there's my wife.  She uses Impress quite a lot, more than I do 
actually.  Her machine is a 2.8 GHz with 256 MB of RAM.  Seems fine 
there too.

I guess it must be something unique to your setup.  Good thing you're 
such a "true Linux advocate" or you might have flown off the handle and 
made unfair remarks about Debian or OpenOffice.  Oh, wait....


-- 
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| http://www.haucks.org/
0
postmaster6 (1752)
2/18/2008 12:41:29 AM
Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> DFS wrote:
> 
>> Peter K�hlmann wrote:
>> 
>>> I have *never* seen Impress sitting on any splashscreen.
>> 
>> Then you keep your eyes closed while it starts up.
> 
> No. I just don't see it long enough to
>> 
>>> It starts in less than 3 seconds without a presentation, and depending on
>>> size of
>>> presentation in a few more.
>> 
>> That's 'cause you're a liar, dumbkopf.  Everyone for years has complained
>> about SlowToOpenOffice.
> 
> No. Trolls have "complained".
> And it was never true.
> 
>> It usually takes 12 seconds to cold start on my (and everyone else's)
>> speedy
>> systems.  After that it's 3-4 seconds.
> 
> Poor DumbFullShit. Here it starts in 3-4 seconds cold.
> Maybe you would have money left to buy a system not destinied for the
> junkyard if you would not have to pay so much for your MS garbage?

It starts in about 3-4 seconds on here, & about 5-6 seconds on on of my slower
machines running Mandriva 2008.1 So wtf DooFuS calls "speedy systems"....maybe
it's all the windoze bloat slowing them down.

> You can claim anything you want, but OO starts on my system at worst 2
> seconds slower than MS Office
> And additionally I would not care about even 20 seconds, because when I am
> actually working on projects needing a Office suite, I simply leave it
> open. It does not hinder working in whichever way on linux

I usually leave it open on another desktop.

-- 
Free-BSD 7.0, PC-BSD 1.4
Linux systems: PCLOS 2007, Mandrake One 2008,
Fedora 8, Kubuntu 7.10. 
-- On 64bit systems --
0
wp16 (1499)
2/18/2008 12:46:08 AM
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 00:38:42 +0100, Hadron <hadronquark@googlemail.com> 
wrote:

> Stop pretending you understand Debian.

Maybe you should too.


> I can not use Stable/Etch as it simply doesn't work well enough and I
> dont have the time nor the energy to pin everything I need/do not need
> accordingly.

FWIW, you can use "apt-get -t <version> install <whatever>" to get one 
package from a different version without pining.

But you don't want to do that with Stable + Testing.  You will be 
guaranteed all kinds of bugs if you do that.  If you need something that 
isn't in Stable, go to backports.org before even thinking about mixing 
versions.  Yeah, it sometimes works, but it is still a really bad idea.

Mixing Unstable and Testing is usually ok though.


> I develop against Lenny for a reason. You would not understand of 
> course.

So you can ship software that won't run reliably on released versions of 
the OS?


-- 
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| http://www.haucks.org/
0
postmaster6 (1752)
2/18/2008 12:52:56 AM
William Poaster <wp@leafnode.amd64.eu> writes:

> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>
>> Hadron wrote:
>> 
>>> William Poaster <wp@leafnode.amd64.eu> writes:
>>> 
>>>> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Hadron wrote:
>>>>> 
>>>>>> Peter Köhlmann <peter.koehlmann@t-online.de> writes:
>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> Hadron wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> writes:
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> 7 wrote:
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> http://www.livecdlist.com
>>>>>>>>>> free to copy and install on as many machines as you
>>>>>>>>>> wish. PCs a heck of a lot cheap these days too.
>>>>>>>>>> At least 3 different Linux PCs available www.ebuyer.com
>>>>>>>>>> Also tesco is selling them www.tesco.com
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> In the United States you can find inexpensive Dell Optiplexes all
>>>>>>>>> the time on eBay. The one I'm using (Pentium 4, 1.6mhz) cost $35,
>>>>>>>>> plus $30 for shipping. I have never had any trouble loading any
>>>>>>>>> Linux or BSD on it.
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> Oh! Now I know why you were so amazed at running 3 things on it ....
>>>>>>>> but sorry, Windows still can on that too.
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> btw, I'm sat in a hotel preparing a presentation for tomorrow on my
>>>>>>>> X30 using debian. I made a big screw up. I assumed OO Impress would
>>>>>>>> work. It doesn't. It keeps freezing up the laptop for up to 40
>>>>>>>> seconds or so. A real heap of f***ing ***t. A gig of RAM too. CPU sat
>>>>>>>> there at 100% for some reason. I just checked ps with "top". And
>>>>>>>> guess what? Yup. The *SPLASHSCREEN* is sat there eating up the cpu.
>>>>>>>> Go figure. Does anyone use and test this stuff?
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> No one to blame but myself of course, but makes me wonder what the
>>>>>>>> hell brings people like that "dumbest poster" award winner RonB here
>>>>>>>> with all his "works for me" lies.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Oh, now the "true linux advocate" Hadron Quark not only has a crashing
>>>>>>> OO (the editor part), but a Impress with a hanging splashscreen
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Yup.
>>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> As I said, it is the "special screwed and tampered Hadron Quark version"
>>>>> 
>>>>>>> Naturally the special Hadron Quark version, with built in problems
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Latest one in debian lenny.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Version number?
>>>>> And, BTW, I have used Impress since years. It never hang
>>>>
>>>>>>> I have *never* seen Impress sitting on any splashscreen. It starts in
>>>>>>> less than 3 seconds without a presentation, and depending on size of
>>>>>>> presentation in a few more.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Bollox.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Right. I just timed it again. It is *two* seconds, not three
>>>>> 
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Apart from the "fact" that Hadron sits in a hotel room, preparing a
>>>>>>> presentation for tomorrow, and has never before used Impress. Because
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Not at the last minute when on a hotel wireless with debian no. I am
>>>>>> demoing a Linux system btw so screw you.
>>>>
>>>> Well *if* you believe Quack actually uses linux, Debian "Lenny" is a beta
>>>> version & still in "Testing", & the Quack troll says he's using this as a
>>>> demo? FFS, is that troll stupid or what.
>>> 
>>> Stop pretending you understand Debian.
>>> 
>>> I can not use Stable/Etch as it simply doesn't work well enough and I
>>> dont have the time nor the energy to pin everything I need/do not need
>>> accordingly.
>> 
>> Naturally not. After all, lying and trolling in COLA leaves just so much
>> time
>
> Funny it works well enough that people use it, & recommend it, as a server OS
> isn't it. 

Who mentioned it as a server os? I am talking server, desktop, the whole
kaboodle in one go. X-server.Mail server. print server. Development
machine. The lot.

>
>>> All the IMPORTANT things for the demo work fine - its only
>>> shitty OO that bring the excrement to the buffet again.
>> 
>> Well, who would have thunk it?
>> 
>>> I develop against Lenny for a reason.
>> 
>> Well, you are naturally not free to disclose that "reason"
>
> Because he probably wants to sabotage it, & then he can crow that it doesn't
> work & people should use windoze.

Are you insane? Why would I want to do that?

>
>>> You would not understand of course. A bit
>>> like Peter not understanding regression testing.
>> 
>> That much is clear. After all, I am doing programming just the last 30
>> years. "Regression testing" is due in 10 years

-- 
Murphy was an optimist.
0
hadronquark2 (7213)
2/18/2008 1:10:27 AM
Verily I say unto thee, that Peter Köhlmann spake thusly:

> Apart from the "fact" that Hadron sits in a hotel room, preparing a 
> presentation for tomorrow, and has never before used Impress. Because
> otherwise he would have noticed that "special Hadron Quark feature",
> present only in his version of Impress
> 
> Hadron, I have seen *much* better lies from about any extremely 
> stupid liar here in cola. This one is so obviously made up out of 
> full cloth it isn't even funny anymore

It does seem rather unlikely that anyone would choose to use an
application for the first time, on the eve of a presentation that
depends on that application.

Is it my imagination, or is Hardon frothing more than usual?

Obviously we must be doing something right ;)

-- 
K.
http://slated.org

..----
| "[Microsoft] are willing to lose money for years and years just to
|  make sure that you don't make any money, either." - Bob Cringely.
|  - http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.23.8-63.fc8
 01:11:40 up 58 days, 22:47,  6 users,  load average: 1.03, 1.04, 0.62
0
spam95 (5695)
2/18/2008 1:11:53 AM
Bob Hauck <postmaster@localhost.localdomain> writes:

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 00:38:42 +0100, Hadron <hadronquark@googlemail.com> 
> wrote:
>
>> Stop pretending you understand Debian.
>
> Maybe you should too.
>
>
>> I can not use Stable/Etch as it simply doesn't work well enough and I
>> dont have the time nor the energy to pin everything I need/do not need
>> accordingly.
>
> FWIW, you can use "apt-get -t <version> install <whatever>" to get one 
> package from a different version without pining.
>
> But you don't want to do that with Stable + Testing.  You will be 
> guaranteed all kinds of bugs if you do that.  If you need something that 
> isn't in Stable, go to backports.org before even thinking about mixing 
> versions.  Yeah, it sometimes works, but it is still a really bad
> idea.

I do. What is your point?

>
> Mixing Unstable and Testing is usually ok though.

Not my experience. Unstable is just that.
>
>
>> I develop against Lenny for a reason. You would not understand of 
>> course.
>
> So you can ship software that won't run reliably on released versions of 
> the OS?

No. So I can develop against and test against the moving target. 

-- 
Murphy was an optimist.
0
hadronquark2 (7213)
2/18/2008 1:12:15 AM
Bob Hauck <postmaster@localhost.localdomain> writes:

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 00:30:15 +0100, Hadron <hadronquark@googlemail.com> 
> wrote:
>
>>>> I use a non stable distro WronG. my fault I guess. I dont, like the 
>>>> developers, do a full regression test when Lenny updates. More fool 
>>>> me.
>
> Surprisingly (well, not really that surprising), neither the Impress in 
> Stable nor the one in Sid hangs for me the way you described.
>
> Really, who are you trying to kid here? You want us to believe that it 
> hangs at the *splash screen* and nobody ever noticed until you started 
> it up in some hotel room?

I didnt say it hung. I said the splash screen stayed there eating up
CPU. it did this ONCE. The rest of the time this machine is simply not
powerful enough to run it. it is almost unusable.
>
> And then, before you've fixed the problem, you run off to post your tale 
> of woe to COLA.  Yeah, that'd be my first reaction when sitting in a 
> hotel room with a broken laptop and a presentation due in the morning.

*shrug*

I always have gnus open for a bit of banter.

>
> I think I'd be down in the hotel business center getting the damn thing 
> done.  But that's just me I guess.

Unless you're me and have it done.

>
>
>> It looks like new laptop time too - this x30 is simply not powerful 
>> enough to run OO. OO is a dog and you know it.
>
> You don't say.  I work on presentations with Impress once in a while at 
> the office.  The work machine is a Pentium-M 1.6 GHz with 512 MB.  It 
> isn't the fastest thing in the world but it is perfectly adequate for 
> running Impress, even with very large presentations.

Not running. Making.

>
> Then there's my wife.  She uses Impress quite a lot, more than I do 
> actually.  Her machine is a 2.8 GHz with 256 MB of RAM.  Seems fine 
> there too.
>
> I guess it must be something unique to your setup.  Good thing you're 
> such a "true Linux advocate" or you might have flown off the handle and 
> made unfair remarks about Debian or OpenOffice.  Oh, wait....

The old Works For Me eh?

Well, it runs them fine. It is a DOG to create them with however. I
frequently sit there for seconds at a time while it decides whether to
give me a drag bar on a text group or an image.

Sorry - but it is very resource hungry.

-- 
Murphy was an optimist.
0
hadronquark2 (7213)
2/18/2008 1:15:01 AM
* Peter K�hlmann peremptorily fired off this memo:

> Hadron wrote:
>
>> btw, I'm sat in a hotel preparing a presentation for tomorrow on my X30
>> using debian. I made a big screw up. I assumed OO Impress would work. It
>> doesn't. It keeps freezing up the laptop for up to 40 seconds or so. A
>> real heap of f***ing ***t. A gig of RAM too. CPU sat there at 100% for
>> some reason. I just checked ps with "top". And guess what? Yup. The
>> *SPLASHSCREEN* is sat there eating up the cpu. Go figure. Does anyone
>> use and test this stuff?

I do.  Impress has worked very well for me.  Never have had a problem
with it.

> Apart from the "fact" that Hadron sits in a hotel room, preparing a
> presentation for tomorrow, and has never before used Impress. Because
> otherwise he would have noticed that "special Hadron Quark feature",
> present only in his version of Impress
>
> Hadron, I have seen *much* better lies from about any extremely stupid liar
> here in cola. This one is so obviously made up out of full cloth it isn't
> even funny anymore

Now his presentation will /never/ be read for TrollCon!

-- 
There is no surer sign of decay in a country than to see the rites of religion
held in contempt.
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli
0
linonut (8350)
2/18/2008 1:17:48 AM
"[H]omer" <spam@uce.gov> writes:

> Verily I say unto thee, that Peter Köhlmann spake thusly:
>
>> Apart from the "fact" that Hadron sits in a hotel room, preparing a 
>> presentation for tomorrow, and has never before used Impress. Because
>> otherwise he would have noticed that "special Hadron Quark feature",
>> present only in his version of Impress
>> 
>> Hadron, I have seen *much* better lies from about any extremely 
>> stupid liar here in cola. This one is so obviously made up out of 
>> full cloth it isn't even funny anymore
>
> It does seem rather unlikely that anyone would choose to use an
> application for the first time, on the eve of a presentation that
> depends on that application.

You guys just want to read what you want to read. You're either paid
shills undermining real Linux advocates or you really are as thick as
you appear? I dont know. Surely the first????

>
> Is it my imagination, or is Hardon frothing more than usual?
>
> Obviously we must be doing something right ;)

Huh? What ARE you talking about?
0
hadronquark2 (7213)
2/18/2008 1:22:39 AM
* Peter K�hlmann peremptorily fired off this memo:

> Hadron wrote:
>> Peter K�hlmann <peter.koehlmann@t-online.de> writes:
>>>
>>> Naturally, after your "presentation" will show Impress as unuseable, you
>>> no longer keep working on it, but instead tell the "impressed" readership
>>> in COLA that you have "found" another non-working tool...
>> 
>> OO is my biggest bug bear in recommending Linux. It's rubbish.
>
> Naturally, Hadron, naturally
> Now here's your meds

He's an impetuous youth.

I sure don't understand it.  OpenOffice works really well (I'm at 2.2
from the "unstable" repo on this 32-bit box).  It certainly hasn't given
me any major problems, except with digesting large documents created or
edited by Word 2000 or 2002.

-- 
War is just when it is necessary; arms are permissible when there is no hope
except in arms.
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli
0
linonut (8350)
2/18/2008 1:25:04 AM
* Peter K�hlmann peremptorily fired off this memo:

>> It usually takes 12 seconds to cold start on my (and everyone else's)
>> speedy
>> systems.  After that it's 3-4 seconds.
>
> Poor DumbFullShit. Here it starts in 3-4 seconds cold.
> Maybe you would have money left to buy a system not destinied for the
> junkyard if you would not have to pay so much for your MS garbage?
>
> You can claim anything you want, but OO starts on my system at worst 2
> seconds slower than MS Office.

Are you perchance using the "preload" package, Peter?  I just learned
about it, from Linux Journal, but am not sure I want to bother trying
it.

   http://preload.sourceforge.net

I'm also wondering about trying out prelinking, too.  Again, not sure I
want to bother, my systems generally run pretty speedily.

-- 
The wise man does at once what the fool does finally.
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli
0
linonut (8350)
2/18/2008 1:28:18 AM
* William Poaster peremptorily fired off this memo:

> I usually leave it open on another desktop.

I don't.  I can wait the two seconds.  Or 4 or 5 if I've just booted.

-- 
Hence it comes about that all armed Prophets have been victorious, and all
unarmed Prophets have been destroyed.
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli
0
linonut (8350)
2/18/2008 1:29:23 AM
Linonut wrote:

> * Peter Köhlmann peremptorily fired off this memo:
> 
>> Hadron wrote:
>>> Peter Köhlmann <peter.koehlmann@t-online.de> writes:
>>>>
>>>> Naturally, after your "presentation" will show Impress as unuseable,
>>>> you no longer keep working on it, but instead tell the "impressed"
>>>> readership in COLA that you have "found" another non-working tool...
>>> 
>>> OO is my biggest bug bear in recommending Linux. It's rubbish.
>>
>> Naturally, Hadron, naturally
>> Now here's your meds
> 
> He's an impetuous youth.
> 
> I sure don't understand it.  OpenOffice works really well (I'm at 2.2
> from the "unstable" repo on this 32-bit box).  It certainly hasn't given
> me any major problems, except with digesting large documents created or
> edited by Word 2000 or 2002.
> 

I have used OO since its 2.0 days, and even *years* before as its StarOffice
ancestor.
It has never exhibited such strange behaviour Hadron claims it does

And I always could open word docs with it, small, large and very large.
The only thing one could not trust to carry over was the placement of
graphics in the document and general layout, as the fonts have to atch
exactly. Nothing which can't be repaired with a few mouseclicks and a
little reformatting

I even had some docs which would not open any longer in Word, as it then
crashed. OO opened them just fine, and saving them as MSWord documents made
them available to Word, too.
Probably some weird leftover from the "document-history" of word, as the
docs were a lot smaller after import/export to OO
-- 
Microsoft: The company that made email dangerous
And web browsing. And viewing pictures. And...

0
Peter.Koehlmann (13228)
2/18/2008 1:30:36 AM
mark.kent.is.owned@gmail.com wrote:

> There 7 GX240s that I have put together to create a mini beowulf
> cluster. I am not happy with Dell GX240 at all. Yes, they are cheap
> now and yes, most new distributions have no issues with GX240s
> hardware but I just think I should trash them. They are just too slow
> and I don't have time to play with them.

I don't know what you are trying to do with your GX240s, but I'm quite happy
with the speed of mine used as a Desktop.

-- 
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"
0
ronb02noSPAM (7426)
2/18/2008 1:58:35 AM
Bob Hauck wrote:

> And then, before you've fixed the problem, you run off to post your tale
> of woe to COLA.  Yeah, that'd be my first reaction when sitting in a
> hotel room with a broken laptop and a presentation due in the morning.
> 
> I think I'd be down in the hotel business center getting the damn thing
> done.  But that's just me I guess.

Yeah, but you, unlike Hadron, live in this little place called "Reality."

-- 
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"
0
ronb02noSPAM (7426)
2/18/2008 2:03:32 AM
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 00:37:54 +0100, Peter K�hlmann
<peter.koehlmann@t-online.de> wrote:

>DFS wrote:
>
>> Peter K?ann wrote:
>> 
>>> I have *never* seen Impress sitting on any splashscreen.
>> 
>> Then you keep your eyes closed while it starts up.
>
>No. I just don't see it long enough to 
>> 
>>> It starts in less than 3 seconds without a presentation, and depending on
>>> size of
>>> presentation in a few more.
>> 
>> That's 'cause you're a liar, dumbkopf.  Everyone for years has complained
>> about SlowToOpenOffice.
>
>No. Trolls have "complained".
>And it was never true.
>
>> It usually takes 12 seconds to cold start on my (and everyone else's)
>> speedy
>> systems.  After that it's 3-4 seconds.
>
>Poor DumbFullShit. Here it starts in 3-4 seconds cold.
>Maybe you would have money left to buy a system not destinied for the
>junkyard if you would not have to pay so much for your MS garbage?
>
>You can claim anything you want, but OO starts on my system at worst 2
>seconds slower than MS Office
>And additionally I would not care about even 20 seconds, because when I am
>actually working on projects needing a Office suite, I simply leave it
>open. It does not hinder working in whichever way on linux
Just timed this on both of my Ubuntu machines. (1.2 GHz AMD, 512 meg
memory). 5 seconds max. I just leave the OO apps open on one side of
my Compiz cube anyway for quick access.

Whats the big  problem here ? I don't see it. Can someone explain ??
0
2/18/2008 2:27:06 AM
John Locke wrote:

> Just timed this on both of my Ubuntu machines. (1.2 GHz AMD, 512 meg
> memory). 5 seconds max. I just leave the OO apps open on one side of
> my Compiz cube anyway for quick access.
> 
> Whats the big  problem here ? I don't see it. Can someone explain ??

The "big problem" is that OpenOffice is a threat to Microsoft's cash cow, so
it has to be "FUDded" to death. (As if.)

I just opened up Writer. It took four seconds on this 1.6 mhz P4, with 768
meg of memory. I can live with that.

-- 
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"
0
ronb02noSPAM (7426)
2/18/2008 2:30:31 AM
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 23:07:53 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> Apart from the "fact" that Hadron sits in a hotel room, preparing a
> presentation for tomorrow, and has never before used Impress. Because
> otherwise he would have noticed that "special Hadron Quark feature",
> present only in his version of Impress

Not only that, but he has an incredible lack of professionalism. I'll bet 
Hadron was the same guy that crammed for exams the night before finals in 
high school and college. I know guys like that. They're often full of 
misinformation (because they don't know the material) and only get by on 
their charisma (or because the audience is full of drooling morons that 
don't know any different).

0
spamtrap3 (1308)
2/18/2008 5:30:18 AM
Bob Hauck wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 00:38:42 +0100, Hadron <hadronquark@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
> 
>> Stop pretending you understand Debian.
> 
> Maybe you should too.

But he won't. He claims to have used Linux for about 2 years, & even then had
trouble installing Ubuntu, one of the *easiest* distros for a newbie to
install! Go figure..
 
>> I can not use Stable/Etch as it simply doesn't work well enough and I
>> dont have the time nor the energy to pin everything I need/do not need
>> accordingly.
> 
> FWIW, you can use "apt-get -t <version> install <whatever>" to get one
> package from a different version without pining.
> 
> But you don't want to do that with Stable + Testing.  You will be
> guaranteed all kinds of bugs if you do that.  If you need something that
> isn't in Stable, go to backports.org before even thinking about mixing
> versions.  Yeah, it sometimes works, but it is still a really bad idea.
> 
> Mixing Unstable and Testing is usually ok though.
> 
> 
>> I develop against Lenny for a reason. You would not understand of
>> course.
> 
> So you can ship software that won't run reliably on released versions of
> the OS?

More than likely...

-- 
Free-BSD 7.0, PC-BSD 1.4
Linux systems: PCLOS 2007, Mandrake One 2008,
Fedora 8, Kubuntu 7.10. 
-- On 64bit systems --
0
wp16 (1499)
2/18/2008 11:57:23 AM
* alt peremptorily fired off this memo:

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 23:07:53 +0100, Peter K�hlmann wrote:
>
>> Apart from the "fact" that Hadron sits in a hotel room, preparing a
>> presentation for tomorrow, and has never before used Impress. Because
>> otherwise he would have noticed that "special Hadron Quark feature",
>> present only in his version of Impress
>
> Not only that, but he has an incredible lack of professionalism. I'll bet 
> Hadron was the same guy that crammed for exams the night before finals in 
> high school and college. I know guys like that. They're often full of 
> misinformation (because they don't know the material) and only get by on 
> their charisma ...

Looks like Hardon's presentation is in a heap o' trouble then!

-- 
There are people who don't like capitalism, and people who don't like PCs. But
there's no-one who likes the PC who doesn't like Microsoft.
   -- Bill Gates
0
linonut (8350)
2/18/2008 12:35:20 PM
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 02:15:01 +0100, Hadron <hadronquark@googlemail.com> 
wrote:

> Bob Hauck <postmaster@localhost.localdomain> writes:

>>> It looks like new laptop time too - this x30 is simply not powerful 
>>> enough to run OO. OO is a dog and you know it.
>>
>> You don't say.  I work on presentations with Impress once in a while at 
>> the office.  The work machine is a Pentium-M 1.6 GHz with 512 MB.  It 
>> isn't the fastest thing in the world but it is perfectly adequate for 
>> running Impress, even with very large presentations.
>
> Not running. Making.

Yes, making.  Now, I tend to not go in for the all singing multimedia 
presentation, although I do have to put in a lot of images sometimes.  
But it works for me and for my wife and for the vast majority of the 
people who use it.  Get used to it.


>> I guess it must be something unique to your setup.  Good thing you're 
>> such a "true Linux advocate" or you might have flown off the handle 
>> and made unfair remarks about Debian or OpenOffice.  Oh, wait....
>
> The old Works For Me eh?

No, it is the old "works for everyone but Hadron".  What the hell are 
people supposed to say to a post like yours?  Are they supposed to get 
some revelation where they think to themselves, "I thought it worked 
fine but Hadron has these problems so it must be horribly broken?"

You have something wrong with your setup, it caught you out, and you 
posted your tempter tantrum here.  That's all that happened.  There is 
no general lesson to be learned here.


> Well, it runs them fine. It is a DOG to create them with however. I 
> frequently sit there for seconds at a time while it decides whether to 
> give me a drag bar on a text group or an image.

Sure, sure.  Whatever you say.  You admit that you don't use it 
regularly and presently have only your broken setup to go by so you 
couldn't possibly know what "normal" is.

You claim Impress hangs for 40 seconds at a time, and sometimes the 
splash screen eats 100% cpu.  Neither of which seem to be happening to 
anyone else.  I think it is your setup that's broken, but how dare 
anyone suggest that, because that would be saying "it works for me".


-- 
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| http://www.haucks.org/
0
postmaster6 (1752)
2/18/2008 12:55:54 PM
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 20:29:23 -0500, Linonut wrote:

> * William Poaster peremptorily fired off this memo:
> 
>> I usually leave it open on another desktop.
> 
> I don't.  I can wait the two seconds.  Or 4 or 5 if I've just booted.

Nine second from cold and three thereafter, on my Dell laptop, which is
not my fastest machine.

-- 
Kier

0
vallon (8614)
2/18/2008 3:36:11 PM
Bob Hauck wrote:

> No, it is the old "works for everyone but Hadron".  What the hell are
> people supposed to say to a post like yours?  Are they supposed to get
> some revelation where they think to themselves, "I thought it worked
> fine but Hadron has these problems so it must be horribly broken?"

What we think is that Hadron is one of the the following -- incredibly
unlucky, totally incompetent, or a serial liar. 

-- 
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"
0
ronb02noSPAM (7426)
2/19/2008 2:00:07 AM
John Locke wrote:

> Just timed this on both of my Ubuntu machines. (1.2 GHz AMD, 512 meg
> memory). 5 seconds max. I just leave the OO apps open on one side of
> my Compiz cube anyway for quick access.
>
> Whats the big  problem here ? I don't see it. Can someone explain ??

Easily: OpenOffice is junk software compared to MS Office.




0
nospam11 (18349)
2/19/2008 4:10:43 AM
RonB wrote:

> Bob Hauck wrote:
> 
>> No, it is the old "works for everyone but Hadron".  What the hell are
>> people supposed to say to a post like yours?  Are they supposed to get
>> some revelation where they think to themselves, "I thought it worked
>> fine but Hadron has these problems so it must be horribly broken?"
> 
> What we think is that Hadron is one of the the following -- incredibly
> unlucky, totally incompetent, or a serial liar.

Or a combination of any two, & I vote for totally incompetent & serial liar.

-- 
Free-BSD 7.0, PC-BSD 1.4
Linux systems: PCLOS 2007, Mandrake One 2008,
Fedora 8, Kubuntu 7.10. 
-- On 64bit systems --
0
wp16 (1499)
2/19/2008 12:29:38 PM
Peter K�hlmann wrote:

>Hadron trolled:
>> 
>> btw, I'm sat in a hotel preparing a presentation for tomorrow on my X30
>> using debian. I made a big screw up. I assumed OO Impress would work. It
>> doesn't. It keeps freezing up the laptop for up to 40 seconds or so. A
>> real heap of f***ing ***t. A gig of RAM too. CPU sat there at 100% for
>> some reason. I just checked ps with "top". And guess what? Yup. The
>> *SPLASHSCREEN* is sat there eating up the cpu. Go figure. Does anyone
>> use and test this stuff?
>> 
>> No one to blame but myself of course, but makes me wonder what the hell
>> brings people like that "dumbest poster" award winner RonB here with all
>> his "works for me" lies.
>
>Oh, now the "true linux advocate" Hadron Quark not only has a crashing OO
>(the editor part), but a Impress with a hanging splashscreen
>
>Naturally the special Hadron Quark version, with built in problems
>
>I have *never* seen Impress sitting on any splashscreen. It starts in less
>than 3 seconds without a presentation, and depending on size of
>presentation in a few more. 
>
>Apart from the "fact" that Hadron sits in a hotel room, preparing a
>presentation for tomorrow, and has never before used Impress. Because
>otherwise he would have noticed that "special Hadron Quark feature",
>present only in his version of Impress
>
>Hadron, I have seen *much* better lies from about any extremely stupid liar
>here in cola. This one is so obviously made up out of full cloth it isn't
>even funny anymore

Maybe if Quack wasn't a shameless, documented liar, someone,
somewhere, might believe him.

0
chrisv (22840)
2/19/2008 2:15:31 PM
chrisv wrote:

> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
> 
>>Hadron trolled:
>>> 
>>> btw, I'm sat in a hotel preparing a presentation for tomorrow on my X30
>>> using debian. I made a big screw up. I assumed OO Impress would work. It
>>> doesn't. It keeps freezing up the laptop for up to 40 seconds or so. A
>>> real heap of f***ing ***t. A gig of RAM too. CPU sat there at 100% for
>>> some reason. I just checked ps with "top". And guess what? Yup. The
>>> *SPLASHSCREEN* is sat there eating up the cpu. Go figure. Does anyone
>>> use and test this stuff?
>>> 
>>> No one to blame but myself of course, but makes me wonder what the hell
>>> brings people like that "dumbest poster" award winner RonB here with all
>>> his "works for me" lies.
>>
>>Oh, now the "true linux advocate" Hadron Quark not only has a crashing OO
>>(the editor part), but a Impress with a hanging splashscreen
>>
>>Naturally the special Hadron Quark version, with built in problems
>>
>>I have *never* seen Impress sitting on any splashscreen. It starts in less
>>than 3 seconds without a presentation, and depending on size of
>>presentation in a few more.
>>
>>Apart from the "fact" that Hadron sits in a hotel room, preparing a
>>presentation for tomorrow, and has never before used Impress. Because
>>otherwise he would have noticed that "special Hadron Quark feature",
>>present only in his version of Impress
>>
>>Hadron, I have seen *much* better lies from about any extremely stupid liar
>>here in cola. This one is so obviously made up out of full cloth it isn't
>>even funny anymore
> 
> Maybe if Quack wasn't a shameless, documented liar, someone,
> somewhere, might believe him.

Hey, Flafish believes him (& vice versa) which says a *lot* about Quack. 

-- 
Free-BSD 7.0, PC-BSD 1.4
Linux systems: PCLOS 2007, Mandrake One 2008,
Fedora 8, Kubuntu 7.10. 
-- On 64bit systems --
0
wp16 (1499)
2/19/2008 3:06:17 PM
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 23:07:53 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> Apart from the "fact" that Hadron sits in a hotel room, preparing a
> presentation for tomorrow, and has never before used Impress.

I have an excellent example of this from just last night.

I went to the computer store to get a 20pin PSU extension... instead I 
walked out with a WD Raptor 10kRPM drive. (yeah... not sure how that 
happened either).

I installed it in my computer and proceeded to install Ubuntu on it. It 
gave me a lot of grief. Why, you ask? Nothing the fault with the hardware 
or the operating system, but with me not having tested the filesystem I 
selected. I was using JFS on my old drive and never had a problem. This 
time, I decided to install onto XFS filesystems. This caused me much 
grief.

Why did this happen? IT happened because I didn't test against that 
filesystem on a testbed first. I had no idea how it'd work and I just 
assumed it would work fine. I was wrong.

This is the sort of behaviour that I, as a professional, cringe at in 
normal circumstances.

Fortunately, after installing using JFS I was away to the races. 
Everything worked fine.

And the performance increase is definitely noticable.

The moral is, test, test, test and test some more. Don't assume it'll 
work, no matter how confident you are in the system. This goes for system 
deployments, creating presentations for work as well as writing a simple 
letter to your MP.

0
spamtrap3 (1308)
2/19/2008 11:25:12 PM
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 17:25:12 -0600, alt wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 23:07:53 +0100, Peter K�hlmann wrote:
> 
>> Apart from the "fact" that Hadron sits in a hotel room, preparing a
>> presentation for tomorrow, and has never before used Impress.
> 
> I have an excellent example of this from just last night.
> 
> I went to the computer store to get a 20pin PSU extension... instead I 
> walked out with a WD Raptor 10kRPM drive. (yeah... not sure how that 
> happened either).
> 
> I installed it in my computer and proceeded to install Ubuntu on it. It 
> gave me a lot of grief. Why, you ask? Nothing the fault with the hardware 
> or the operating system, but with me not having tested the filesystem I 
> selected. I was using JFS on my old drive and never had a problem. This 
> time, I decided to install onto XFS filesystems. This caused me much 
> grief.
> 
> Why did this happen? IT happened because I didn't test against that 
> filesystem on a testbed first. I had no idea how it'd work and I just 
> assumed it would work fine. I was wrong.
> 
> This is the sort of behaviour that I, as a professional, cringe at in 
> normal circumstances.
> 
> Fortunately, after installing using JFS I was away to the races. 
> Everything worked fine.
> 
> And the performance increase is definitely noticable.
> 
> The moral is, test, test, test and test some more. Don't assume it'll 
> work, no matter how confident you are in the system. This goes for system 
> deployments, creating presentations for work as well as writing a simple 
> letter to your MP.

Tell me again how Linux is ready for the average consumer.
First question" hey Clem, duhh, what's a file system? "

-- 
Moshe Goldfarb
Collector of soaps from around the globe.
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
0
brick.n.straw (6130)
2/20/2008 2:16:49 AM
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb
<brick.n.straw@gmail.com>
 wrote
on Tue, 19 Feb 2008 21:16:49 -0500
<ird0adqyrey3.b4vvem9hcgo9$.dlg@40tude.net>:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 17:25:12 -0600, alt wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 23:07:53 +0100, Peter K�hlmann wrote:
>> 
>>> Apart from the "fact" that Hadron sits in a hotel room, preparing a
>>> presentation for tomorrow, and has never before used Impress.
>> 
>> I have an excellent example of this from just last night.
>> 
>> I went to the computer store to get a 20pin PSU extension... instead I 
>> walked out with a WD Raptor 10kRPM drive. (yeah... not sure how that 
>> happened either).
>> 
>> I installed it in my computer and proceeded to install Ubuntu on it. It 
>> gave me a lot of grief. Why, you ask? Nothing the fault with the hardware 
>> or the operating system, but with me not having tested the filesystem I 
>> selected. I was using JFS on my old drive and never had a problem. This 
>> time, I decided to install onto XFS filesystems. This caused me much 
>> grief.
>> 
>> Why did this happen? IT happened because I didn't test against that 
>> filesystem on a testbed first. I had no idea how it'd work and I just 
>> assumed it would work fine. I was wrong.
>> 
>> This is the sort of behaviour that I, as a professional, cringe at in 
>> normal circumstances.
>> 
>> Fortunately, after installing using JFS I was away to the races. 
>> Everything worked fine.
>> 
>> And the performance increase is definitely noticable.
>> 
>> The moral is, test, test, test and test some more. Don't assume it'll 
>> work, no matter how confident you are in the system. This goes for system 
>> deployments, creating presentations for work as well as writing a simple 
>> letter to your MP.
>
> Tell me again how Linux is ready for the average consumer.
> First question" hey Clem, duhh, what's a file system? "
>

Absolutely.  After all, the first thing a user thinks about
when hearing "disk" is a partition on a modern drive unit.

Much more straightforward, especially if one adds modern
drive units and shifts all of the disks around.

And that one letter tag: so convenient.

-- 
#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
  - allegedly said by Bill Gates, 1981, but somebody had to make this up!

-- 
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

0
ewill5 (11075)
2/20/2008 4:19:24 PM
[H]omer <spam@uce.gov> espoused:
> Verily I say unto thee, that Peter K�hlmann spake thusly:
> 
>> Apart from the "fact" that Hadron sits in a hotel room, preparing a 
>> presentation for tomorrow, and has never before used Impress. Because
>> otherwise he would have noticed that "special Hadron Quark feature",
>> present only in his version of Impress
>> 
>> Hadron, I have seen *much* better lies from about any extremely 
>> stupid liar here in cola. This one is so obviously made up out of 
>> full cloth it isn't even funny anymore
> 
> It does seem rather unlikely that anyone would choose to use an
> application for the first time, on the eve of a presentation that
> depends on that application.
> 
> Is it my imagination, or is Hardon frothing more than usual?
> 
> Obviously we must be doing something right ;)
> 

Who would employ someone who'd chance their arm on utterly unfamiliar
tools for a critical job the following morning?

-- 
| Mark Kent   --   mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk          |
| Cola faq:  http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/   |
| Cola trolls:  http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/                        |
| My (new) blog:  http://www.thereisnomagic.org                        |
0
mark.kent (15323)
2/20/2008 5:39:05 PM
Mark Kent wrote:

> [H]omer <spam@uce.gov> espoused:
>> Verily I say unto thee, that Peter Köhlmann spake thusly:
>> 
>>> Apart from the "fact" that Hadron sits in a hotel room, preparing a
>>> presentation for tomorrow, and has never before used Impress. Because
>>> otherwise he would have noticed that "special Hadron Quark feature",
>>> present only in his version of Impress
>>> 
>>> Hadron, I have seen *much* better lies from about any extremely
>>> stupid liar here in cola. This one is so obviously made up out of
>>> full cloth it isn't even funny anymore
>> 
>> It does seem rather unlikely that anyone would choose to use an
>> application for the first time, on the eve of a presentation that
>> depends on that application.
>> 
>> Is it my imagination, or is Hardon frothing more than usual?
>> 
>> Obviously we must be doing something right ;)
>> 
> 
> Who would employ someone who'd chance their arm on utterly unfamiliar
> tools for a critical job the following morning?
> 

Not just that: He is using the "Hadron Quark special edition" of OpenOffice.
The one which is crashing evey hour in the editor, pegs the CPU at 100% on
the splashscreen of Impress and hangs for 40 seconds completely

To add some to these special features, he is doing the presentation on a
bleeding edge version of Debian, which according to Hadron Quark is quite
unstable

I am certain the guys who are to see his (completely
imaginary) "presentation" will be thrilled (by this show of utter
incompetence)

Hadron has outdone himself with this completely bogus "horror story" about
Impress. It was a lie from start to end, not one word of it was true
-- 
Any idiot can run XP. And usually does.

0
Peter.Koehlmann (13228)
2/20/2008 6:33:03 PM
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 08:19:24 -0800, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb <brick.n.straw@gmail.com>
>  wrote

>> Tell me again how Linux is ready for the average consumer. First
>> question" hey Clem, duhh, what's a file system? "

I wonder how many of those same users would know what a filesystem is 
under Windows...... 

>>
>>
> Absolutely.  After all, the first thing a user thinks about when hearing
> "disk" is a partition on a modern drive unit.
> 
> Much more straightforward, especially if one adds modern drive units and
> shifts all of the disks around.

Speaking of shifting drives... I did move the drives around. I booted 
back into Ubuntu Linux without moving the drives back. What was sda is 
now sdb... I gotta say that I never had much to say about UUIDs, but hey, 
the system booted up without so much as a second thought.


0
spamtrap3 (1308)
2/21/2008 4:07:18 AM
William Poaster wrote:
> RonB wrote:
>
>> What we think is that Hadron is one of the the following --
>> incredibly unlucky, totally incompetent, or a serial liar.
> 
> Or a combination of any two, & I vote for totally incompetent
> & serial liar.

I'd say incredibly unlucky for being caught with the other two.

-- 
HPT
0
2/21/2008 5:27:20 AM
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, alt
<spamtrap@lazyeyez.net>
 wrote
on Thu, 21 Feb 2008 04:07:18 GMT
<pan.2008.02.21.04.07.15@lazyeyez.net>:
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 08:19:24 -0800, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb <brick.n.straw@gmail.com>
>>  wrote
>
>>> Tell me again how Linux is ready for the average consumer. First
>>> question" hey Clem, duhh, what's a file system? "
>
> I wonder how many of those same users would know what a filesystem is 
> under Windows...... 
>
>>>
>>>
>> Absolutely.  After all, the first thing a user thinks about when hearing
>> "disk" is a partition on a modern drive unit.
>> 
>> Much more straightforward, especially if one adds modern drive units and
>> shifts all of the disks around.
>
> Speaking of shifting drives... I did move the drives around. I booted 
> back into Ubuntu Linux without moving the drives back. What was sda is 
> now sdb... I gotta say that I never had much to say about UUIDs, but hey, 
> the system booted up without so much as a second thought.
>

Indeed; that's proper behavior. ;-)  I'll admit I've not
gotten around to setting up my /etc/fstab to use uuids
yet, though -- but then I don't really shuffle my disks
all that often.

-- 
#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
"Woman?  What woman?"

-- 
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

0
ewill5 (11075)
2/21/2008 5:25:40 PM
Reply: