I like Linux but.........

The fonts still looks ugly, even with Vera-fonts and MSTTfonts.
0
cc5028 (10)

chrisv wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:50:23 +0100, The AntiChrist <cc@cc.cc> wrote:
>

>>The fonts still looks ugly, even with Vera-fonts and MSTTfonts.
>

> *plonk*

/yuck/

0
industry (3)
12/22/2003 2:08:14 PM
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:50:23 +0100, The AntiChrist <cc@cc.cc> wrote:

>The fonts still looks ugly, even with Vera-fonts and MSTTfonts.

*plonk*

0
chrisv (22840)
12/22/2003 2:11:36 PM
The AntiChrist wrote:

> The fonts still looks ugly, even with Vera-fonts and MSTTfonts.

Fonts look fine for me.  Then again, I'm not a spoiled priss that expects
everything to be done for me (because it isn't).

--
---
The email address listed for this user is a spamtrap.

Do not respond.
0
strapper (23)
12/22/2003 4:57:06 PM
"The AntiChrist" <cc@cc.cc> wrote in message
> The fonts still looks ugly, even with Vera-fonts and MSTTfonts.

linux has ugly fonts ... why are you using linux for the desktop?

cola_moderator wrote:
> "The AntiChrist" <cc@cc.cc> wrote in message
>
>>The fonts still looks ugly, even with Vera-fonts and MSTTfonts.
>

> linux has ugly fonts ... why are you using linux for the desktop?

Because it is safer.
0
cc5028 (10)
12/23/2003 12:03:18 AM
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:50:23 +0100, in article
<news:bs6pai$g1b$1@news3.tilbu1.nb.home.nl>, The AntiChrist wrote:

I do renounce thee, Satan, and thy Microsoft Works.
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, cola_moderator
<cola_moderator@msn.com>
 wrote
on Mon, 22 Dec 2003 14:39:23 -0500
<QeSdnbp8g-GP1XqiRVn-sQ@dsli.com>:
> "The AntiChrist" <cc@cc.cc> wrote in message
>> The fonts still looks ugly, even with Vera-fonts and MSTTfonts.
>
> linux has ugly fonts ... why are you using linux for the desktop?

CM's right; everone knows that the most important thing to have
on one's desktop is gorgeous fonts.

Especially when admiring a certain screen... :-)

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net -- what do we call it now, since it's no longer
guaranteed to be cerulean?
It's still legal to go .sigless.
0
ewill (4394)
12/23/2003 1:00:08 AM
In a moment of profound enlightenment, The Ghost In The Machine
wrote:

>> linux has ugly fonts ... why are you using linux for the
>> desktop?
>>

> CM's right; everone knows that the most important thing to
> have on one's desktop is gorgeous fonts.
>
> Especially when admiring a certain screen... :-)

I especially appreciate the tasteful choice in color--white text
on a blue background.
--
Of all the animals, the boy is the most unmanageable.
                -- Plato

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Scott Bicknell
<sbicknel@no-spam.com>
 wrote
on Tue, 23 Dec 2003 01:35:03 GMT
<bZMFb.1117$JK6.1024@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>:
> In a moment of profound enlightenment, The Ghost In The Machine
> wrote:
>
>>> linux has ugly fonts ... why are you using linux for the
>>> desktop?
>>>

>> CM's right; everone knows that the most important thing to
>> have on one's desktop is gorgeous fonts.
>>
>> Especially when admiring a certain screen... :-)
>
> I especially appreciate the tasteful choice in color--white text
> on a blue background.

Yes, those are the traditional colors.  My understanding is that
these can now be changed through some sort of registry hack,
and/or a utility program.

Now you can display The Screen Of Death in any color combo you desire.

Windows.  When it absolutely, positively has to be tasteful. :-)

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net -- if one can call that taste
It's still legal to go .sigless.
0
ewill (4394)
12/23/2003 5:01:04 AM
0
rmalheiro (144)
12/23/2003 9:56:44 AM
> cola_moderator wrote:
> > "The AntiChrist" <cc@cc.cc> wrote in message
> >
> >>The fonts still looks ugly, even with Vera-fonts and MSTTfonts.
> >

> > linux has ugly fonts ... why are you using linux for the desktop?
> >

> Because it is safer.

you are paranoid ... a better and more mainstream combination for you would
be using windows xp and taking medications (and therapy) for your paranoia
.... and don't worry about not being safe, over 90% of the planet's computer
users happily embrace windows every day and they are not afraid of nothing
.... take the meds and use windows and kick that depression illness good bye
.... life is good in the windows winners side.

cola_moderator wrote:
> "The AntiChrist" <cc@cc.cc> wrote in message
>
>>cola_moderator wrote:
>>
>>>"The AntiChrist" <cc@cc.cc> wrote in message

>>>linux has ugly fonts ... why are you using linux for the desktop?
>>>

>>Because it is safer.
>

> you are paranoid ... a better and more mainstream combination for you would
> be using windows xp and taking medications (and therapy) for your paranoia
> ... and don't worry about not being safe, over 90% of the planet's computer
> users happily embrace windows every day and they are not afraid of nothing
> ... take the meds and use windows and kick that depression illness good bye
> ... life is good in the windows winners side.

Well, I make my own decisions.
I use both XP and Linux.
Linux is just more fun (or frustrating sometimes). Windows is so boring.
0
cc5028 (10)
12/23/2003 1:58:15 PM
> cola_moderator wrote:
> > "The AntiChrist" <cc@cc.cc> wrote in message

> >>Because it is safer.
> >

> > you are paranoid ... a better and more mainstream combination for you
would
> > be using windows xp and taking medications (and therapy) for your
paranoia
> > ... and don't worry about not being safe, over 90% of the planet's
computer
> > users happily embrace windows every day and they are not afraid of
nothing
> > ... take the meds and use windows and kick that depression illness good
bye
> > ... life is good in the windows winners side.
> >

> Well, I make my own decisions.
> I use both XP and Linux.

a step in the right direction.

> Linux is just more fun (or frustrating sometimes). Windows is so boring.

keep taking your meds and you'll come out of it.

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rui Malheiro
<rmalheiro@mail.telepac.pt>
 wrote
on Tue, 23 Dec 2003 09:56:44 +0000
<6386369.p54fW4icM8@vincent.6mil.pt>:

> Em Segunda 22 Dezembro 2003 12:50, The AntiChrist escreveu:
>
>> The fonts still looks ugly, even with Vera-fonts and MSTTfonts.
>
> Can you show us a screenshot of your "ugly looking fonts"?

Well, I've run into an issue just this morning.  However, I
claim damage from two recent power failures and remoting
system issues with Konqueror.

Basically, I have two systems.  One of them is running a stock
KDE/Debian woody.  The other is running a highly bastardized
Gnome sid/woody/testing mixture, and that's the one that's damaged.
The last power outage took out Galeon (pity; it was my fave browser).

As an experiment, I tried browsing an applet-laden website (something
I'm working on for $EMPLOYER which I can do some of the work at
home) using Konqueror on the KDE system, using ssh/X tunnelling
onto the Gnome one.  The results were rather disappointing.  Bear
in mind that this is probably 2.2; I'm hoping 3.0 is better.

[1] Ugly fonts.  For whatever reason, the pixellation was clearly
    evident, in the input widget.

[2] Lots of silly popups as the system attempted to auto-load the
    Java plugin.

I'm going to rebuild the one system from scratch (I already have an
on-disk Debian installation kit, which I've tested on another
partition -- that's kinda neat :-) ) and hope for the best.  The
main issue is time, which I should have more of come Christmas Day.

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
0
ewill (4394)
12/23/2003 9:00:11 PM
In article <fsuduvgcacuk2886p4ud77b1c75upvej2p@4ax.com>, chrisv wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:50:23 +0100, The AntiChrist <cc@cc.cc> wrote:
>
>>The fonts still looks ugly, even with Vera-fonts and MSTTfonts.
>
> *plonk*

"I like Linux but" but what, "I'm a wintrol anyway"

idiot

--
Mark
Registered Linux User #329755 -  http://counter.li.org
The AntiChrist wrote:

> Here it is.
> I have AA disabled. The small fonts are very ugly, but its not going to
> kill me. If the looks are good Linux will be more popular.

It looks fine to me. You can change them around if want or select a new
theme.
0
John
12/24/2003 3:46:39 AM
The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rui Malheiro
> <rmalheiro@mail.telepac.pt>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 23 Dec 2003 09:56:44 +0000
> <6386369.p54fW4icM8@vincent.6mil.pt>:
>>
>> Em Segunda 22 Dezembro 2003 12:50, The AntiChrist escreveu:
>>
>>> The fonts still looks ugly, even with Vera-fonts and MSTTfonts.
>>
>> Can you show us a screenshot of your "ugly looking fonts"?
>
> Well, I've run into an issue just this morning.  However, I
> claim damage from two recent power failures and remoting
> system issues with Konqueror.
>
> Basically, I have two systems.  One of them is running a stock
> KDE/Debian woody.  The other is running a highly bastardized
> Gnome sid/woody/testing mixture, and that's the one that's damaged.
> The last power outage took out Galeon (pity; it was my fave browser).
>
> As an experiment, I tried browsing an applet-laden website (something
> I'm working on for $EMPLOYER which I can do some of the work at
> home) using Konqueror on the KDE system, using ssh/X tunnelling
> onto the Gnome one.  The results were rather disappointing.  Bear
> in mind that this is probably 2.2; I'm hoping 3.0 is better.
>
> [1] Ugly fonts.  For whatever reason, the pixellation was clearly
>     evident, in the input widget.
>
> [2] Lots of silly popups as the system attempted to auto-load the
>     Java plugin.
>
> I'm going to rebuild the one system from scratch (I already have an
> on-disk Debian installation kit, which I've tested on another
> partition -- that's kinda neat :-) ) and hope for the best.  The
> main issue is time, which I should have more of come Christmas Day.

Have luck! I think 3.2 or some future KDE release is supposed to have some
kind of built in NoX support(new X compression proxy thingie, search
slashdot for it)

--
You will be called upon to help a friend in trouble.

0
jeremyn (134)

Linux Brochure Project (LBP)--Linux Advocacy & Publicity
Your organization may be interested in the Linux Brochure Project hosted on SourceForge. This project was developed because the Victoria Linux User Group (VLUG) wanted to produce their brochure using open source tools rather than proprietary ones. We registered it at SourceForge so that any Linux LUG and other advocacy groups could use the software to produce their own brochure. This project has been written up by LWN (http://lwn.net/Articles/51938/). See below for project details. Barbara Irwin Publicity Coordinator, VLUG ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The Linux Brochure Project (LBP) is GPLed data and software which is used to document key Linux information in a standard-size brochure (two sides of a single letter-sized or A4 sheet of paper that is Z-folded into the six mini-pages of the brochure). Four key features of this project make it an excellent advocacy and publicity tool for LUGS and Linux organizations: 1) the project data and software are GPLed; 2) all software tools used to build the LBP brochures are open source; 3) the brochure can be customized to fit individual requirements of LUGs and other Linux organizations; and 4) the software produces an attractive brochure. Currently there are two versions of the brochure -- a "Linus" version, which features famous quotes from Linus and a VLUG version, which has been adopted as the Victoria Linux Users Group official brochure...

ssh over php from w2k to linux hangs (linux to linux ok)
Hello, I am trying to make some bash-scripts, that are to be executed on remote linux-boxes available to some Windows users over a php-interface. To require no interaction from the part of the windows users, I installed cygwin, generated rsa-keys and copied the public key on the server. I also changed the user, running the apache service appropriately and I added cygwin/bin to this users path. So, executing "ssh user@server something" worked using the cygwin-bash or the windows CLI. However, if I execute a php-script containing a "system" or "proc_open" with this command, it never returns. The same php-script *does* work on linux! Any clues? Greetings Neven ...

[News] [Linux] Linux Foundation and MontaVista Organise Linux Conferences
Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit ,----[ Quote ] | The first Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit takes place mid | June, featuring the fourth Desktop Architects Meeting, an LSB | face to face meeting and various council meetings. `---- http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/06/02/linux-foundation-collaboration-summit/ MontaVista Vision 2007 Embedded Linux Developers Conference... ,----[ Quote ] | Hosted by MontaVista, and including platinum sponsors | Freescale Semiconductor, IBM, Intel, and Texas Instruments, | the Vision 2007 event is expected to bring the latest tips, | technique...

[News] Another Company (6WIND) Raves About Linux, Linux, Linux...

Why I Will Most Likely Never Switch to Linux. Aside from the fact Linux Sucks.
Let's be honest, compared to the offerings of OSX and Windows, Linux sucks = badly. But that's not the reason why it's highly unlikely I will ever use L= inux. The real reason is the Linux user base. I'm not certain of the reason= s why, but it's quite clear that Linux does seem to attract the most unruly= , ignorant, brainwashed users. Spend 10 minutes in just about any Linux use= r blog (2 minutes for COLA) and it's obvious that many of these Linux users= are suffering from some kind of mental affliction. These Linux users are t= ruly miserable, nasty, pompous...

Web resources about - I like Linux but......... - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . and video game consoles ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . The development of ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . and video game consoles ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For GNU package based on Linux kernel, see GNU Linux-libre . For ...

More developers now use OS X than Linux, says ‘most comprehensive survey ever conducted’
Stack Overflow reports that more developers now use OS X than Linux as their primary OS, and that if the trend continues, fewer than half of ...

Google kills Chrome app launcher for Microsoft Windows, Apple OS X, and Linux
During the Windows 8 era, I was very worried about that operating system the UI and design choices were troubling. Luckily, as a longtime Linux ...

Pre-order the first Ubuntu Linux tablet
If you've been talking a lot about using Ubuntu Linux away from your PC or using a mobile device as your PC you now get to put your money where ...

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.8 Enters Beta
Although it's no longer the leading edge of Red Hat's product portfolio, RHEL 6 is still getting new features.

Mac extends its lead over Linux among software developers, chipping away at Windows
A new survey of more than 55,000 coders shows Mac OS X distancing itself from Linux in a ranking of the most popular desktop operating systems ...

Google's Scrapping Chrome's App Launcher on Windows, Mac and Linux
Like opening Chrome apps using Google’s dedicated launcher? Tough: As of July, it will be entirely scrapped on Windows, Mac and Linux. Read ...