IBM Linux chief: Chasing desktop Windows a 'dead-end' - 'Don't waste your time'

<quote>
LinuxCon 2009 IBM says that battling for desktop market share against
Windows is a "dead-end" for Linux.

Sutor drew up several possible futures for the Linux desktop in the years
ahead, including Linux going away altogether, one distribution dominating
Linux desktops, one distro dominating all desktops, Linux reaching parity
with Microsoft and Apple, and desktop Linux disappearing altogether and
making the whole issue moot.

"Most people say, 'I don't want to be bothered. It just works. I want to do
the other parts of my job, and I want to go home,'" said Sutor. "So this, I
think, is going to be a major, major portion that determines possibly some
of those futures. What are we really trying to do with this thing? I think
making it a complete drop-in replacement is a dead-end strategy.

Sutor argued that it's a mistake to try to sell or convince people to use
something when they're not interested and will never use it. "Don't waste
your time," he said.

"So in the same way, with Linux desktops, you've got to decide ... who are
the real potential users and focus on them to the exclusion of other people
who - frankly - just aren't interested," Sutor said.

</quote>

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/09/21/linuxcon_2009_sutor_keynote/

0
not-zeke (902)

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:20:18 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

> <quote>
> LinuxCon 2009 IBM says that battling for desktop market share against
> Windows is a "dead-end" for Linux.
>
> Sutor drew up several possible futures for the Linux desktop in the years
> ahead, including Linux going away altogether, one distribution dominating
> Linux desktops, one distro dominating all desktops, Linux reaching parity
> with Microsoft and Apple, and desktop Linux disappearing altogether and
> making the whole issue moot.
>
> "Most people say, 'I don't want to be bothered. It just works. I want to do
> the other parts of my job, and I want to go home,'" said Sutor. "So this, I
> think, is going to be a major, major portion that determines possibly some
> of those futures. What are we really trying to do with this thing? I think
> making it a complete drop-in replacement is a dead-end strategy.
>
> Sutor argued that it's a mistake to try to sell or convince people to use
> something when they're not interested and will never use it. "Don't waste
> your time," he said.
>
> "So in the same way, with Linux desktops, you've got to decide ... who are
> the real potential users and focus on them to the exclusion of other people
> who - frankly - just aren't interested," Sutor said.
>
> </quote>
>
> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/09/21/linuxcon_2009_sutor_keynote/

And he is right.

Sure a case can be made for Linux as a desktop system because in
some ways it *is* superior to Windows.
However, most people don't care.
They want to use what works and really don't care about
religious freedom chants.
0
moshegoldfarb (3146)
10/4/2009 12:33:39 PM
On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 08:33:39 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:20:18 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
>
>> <quote>
>> LinuxCon 2009 IBM says that battling for desktop market share against
>> Windows is a "dead-end" for Linux.
>>
>> Sutor drew up several possible futures for the Linux desktop in the
>> years ahead, including Linux going away altogether, one distribution
>> dominating Linux desktops, one distro dominating all desktops, Linux
>> reaching parity with Microsoft and Apple, and desktop Linux
>> disappearing altogether and making the whole issue moot.
>>
>> "Most people say, 'I don't want to be bothered. It just works. I want
>> to do the other parts of my job, and I want to go home,'" said Sutor.
>> "So this, I think, is going to be a major, major portion that
>> determines possibly some of those futures. What are we really trying to
>> do with this thing? I think making it a complete drop-in replacement is
>> a dead-end strategy.
>>
>> Sutor argued that it's a mistake to try to sell or convince people to
>> use something when they're not interested and will never use it. "Don't
>> waste your time," he said.
>>
>> "So in the same way, with Linux desktops, you've got to decide ... who
>> are the real potential users and focus on them to the exclusion of
>> other people who - frankly - just aren't interested," Sutor said.
>>
>> </quote>
>>
>> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/09/21/
linuxcon_2009_sutor_keynote/

> And he is right.
>
> Sure a case can be made for Linux as a desktop system because in some
> ways it *is* superior to Windows. However, most people don't care.
> They want to use what works and really don't care about religious
> freedom chants.

.... they want to use what works and what everyone else has.

--
Rick
0
"Moshe Goldfarb" <moshegoldfarb@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:20:18 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
>
>> <quote>
>> LinuxCon 2009 IBM says that battling for desktop market share against
>> Windows is a "dead-end" for Linux.
>>
>> Sutor drew up several possible futures for the Linux desktop in the
>> years
>> ahead, including Linux going away altogether, one distribution
>> dominating
>> Linux desktops, one distro dominating all desktops, Linux reaching
>> parity
>> with Microsoft and Apple, and desktop Linux disappearing altogether and
>> making the whole issue moot.
>>
>> "Most people say, 'I don't want to be bothered. It just works. I want to
>> do
>> the other parts of my job, and I want to go home,'" said Sutor. "So
>> this, I
>> think, is going to be a major, major portion that determines possibly
>> some
>> of those futures. What are we really trying to do with this thing? I
>> think
>> making it a complete drop-in replacement is a dead-end strategy.
>>
>> Sutor argued that it's a mistake to try to sell or convince people to
>> use
>> something when they're not interested and will never use it. "Don't
>> waste
>> your time," he said.
>>
>> "So in the same way, with Linux desktops, you've got to decide ... who
>> are
>> the real potential users and focus on them to the exclusion of other
>> people
>> who - frankly - just aren't interested," Sutor said.
>>
>> </quote>
>>
>> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/09/21/linuxcon_2009_sutor_keynote/
>
> And he is right.
>
> Sure a case can be made for Linux as a desktop system because in
> some ways it *is* superior to Windows.
> However, most people don't care.
> They want to use what works and really don't care about
> religious freedom chants.

When it comes to the desktop OS - "that train has left the station" as they
say. The only hope that Linux has of becoming a major factor on the desktop
is to try and redefine what the desktop is. Make it some sort of cloud
service or something because people all know what the conventional desktop
is and that's Windows.

0
zeke437 (836)
10/4/2009 12:46:48 PM
"Rick" <none@nomail.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 08:33:39 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:20:18 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
>>
>>> <quote>
>>> LinuxCon 2009 IBM says that battling for desktop market share against
>>> Windows is a "dead-end" for Linux.
>>>
>>> Sutor drew up several possible futures for the Linux desktop in the
>>> years ahead, including Linux going away altogether, one distribution
>>> dominating Linux desktops, one distro dominating all desktops, Linux
>>> reaching parity with Microsoft and Apple, and desktop Linux
>>> disappearing altogether and making the whole issue moot.
>>>
>>> "Most people say, 'I don't want to be bothered. It just works. I want
>>> to do the other parts of my job, and I want to go home,'" said Sutor.
>>> "So this, I think, is going to be a major, major portion that
>>> determines possibly some of those futures. What are we really trying to
>>> do with this thing? I think making it a complete drop-in replacement is
>>> a dead-end strategy.
>>>
>>> Sutor argued that it's a mistake to try to sell or convince people to
>>> use something when they're not interested and will never use it. "Don't
>>> waste your time," he said.
>>>
>>> "So in the same way, with Linux desktops, you've got to decide ... who
>>> are the real potential users and focus on them to the exclusion of
>>> other people who - frankly - just aren't interested," Sutor said.
>>>
>>> </quote>
>>>
>>> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/09/21/
> linuxcon_2009_sutor_keynote/
>>
>> And he is right.
>>
>> Sure a case can be made for Linux as a desktop system because in some
>> ways it *is* superior to Windows. However, most people don't care.
>> They want to use what works and really don't care about religious
>> freedom chants.
>
> ... they want to use what works and what everyone else has.

Well Windows does work on the desktop. Is it perfect - of course not. But
neither is Linux. People want to run the applications they already have and
know on the OS that they already learned. Unless there's some huge "killer
application" for Linux people are *not* going to change their OS and all of
their applications for the sake of it.

0
zeke437 (836)
10/4/2009 12:49:44 PM
On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 08:49:44 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

> "Rick" <none@nomail.com> wrote in message

>> linuxcon_2009_sutor_keynote/
>>>
>>> And he is right.
>>>
>>> Sure a case can be made for Linux as a desktop system because in some
>>> ways it *is* superior to Windows. However, most people don't care.
>>> They want to use what works and really don't care about religious
>>> freedom chants.
>>
>> ... they want to use what works and what everyone else has.
>
> Well Windows does work on the desktop. Is it perfect - of course not.
> But neither is Linux. People want to run the applications they already
> have and know on the OS that they already learned. Unless there's some
> huge "killer application" for Linux people are *not* going to change
> their OS and all of their applications for the sake of it.

I think I just said something similar.

--
Rick
0

>>> ... they want to use what works and what everyone else has.
>>
>> Well Windows does work on the desktop. Is it perfect - of course not.
>> But neither is Linux. People want to run the applications they already
>> have and know on the OS that they already learned. Unless there's some
>> huge "killer application" for Linux people are *not* going to change
>> their OS and all of their applications for the sake of it.
>
> I think I just said something similar.

Good to see you acknowledging that desktop Linux is not significantly better
for the general user.  Or perhaps better at all.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

0
usenet2 (47889)
10/4/2009 1:51:39 PM
On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 08:46:48 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

> "Moshe Goldfarb" <moshegoldfarb@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:20:18 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
>>
>>> <quote>
>>> LinuxCon 2009 IBM says that battling for desktop market share against
>>> Windows is a "dead-end" for Linux.
>>>
>>> Sutor drew up several possible futures for the Linux desktop in the
>>> years
>>> ahead, including Linux going away altogether, one distribution
>>> dominating
>>> Linux desktops, one distro dominating all desktops, Linux reaching
>>> parity
>>> with Microsoft and Apple, and desktop Linux disappearing altogether and
>>> making the whole issue moot.
>>>
>>> "Most people say, 'I don't want to be bothered. It just works. I want to
>>> do
>>> the other parts of my job, and I want to go home,'" said Sutor. "So
>>> this, I
>>> think, is going to be a major, major portion that determines possibly
>>> some
>>> of those futures. What are we really trying to do with this thing? I
>>> think
>>> making it a complete drop-in replacement is a dead-end strategy.
>>>
>>> Sutor argued that it's a mistake to try to sell or convince people to
>>> use
>>> something when they're not interested and will never use it. "Don't
>>> waste
>>> your time," he said.
>>>
>>> "So in the same way, with Linux desktops, you've got to decide ... who
>>> are
>>> the real potential users and focus on them to the exclusion of other
>>> people
>>> who - frankly - just aren't interested," Sutor said.
>>>
>>> </quote>
>>>
>>> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/09/21/linuxcon_2009_sutor_keynote/
>>
>> And he is right.
>>
>> Sure a case can be made for Linux as a desktop system because in
>> some ways it *is* superior to Windows.
>> However, most people don't care.
>> They want to use what works and really don't care about
>> religious freedom chants.
>

> When it comes to the desktop OS - "that train has left the station" as they
> say. The only hope that Linux has of becoming a major factor on the desktop
> is to try and redefine what the desktop is. Make it some sort of cloud
> service or something because people all know what the conventional desktop
> is and that's Windows.

Correct...

Linux has to do something better than Windows or Mac and to date
it just has not been able to accomplish that task.

Being free is obviously not enough.
0
moshegoldfarb (3146)

10 years of Linux, or how you can waste time slowly......(More proof that Linux is a freaking waste of time)
10 years of Linux, or how you can waste time slowly https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=81868&p=1 //QUOTE So, not that many of you would care, but this month I have a rather odd anniversary: it was 10 years ago that I laid eyes on my first Linux ditribution, and it was the thing that "started it all" for me. I was in the 9th grade, still using Windows, but I had access to a Redhat box, and I loved it. I remember playing Sokoban a lot on it, and I seem to remember Netscape. I also remember BitchX, but that was years after. Any man would consider this a happy occasion, but I do not. Why? Because apart from some stuff that you learn as you go on, stuff that you need to learn in order to maintain your system in working condition, apart from that I feel like I've learned nothing. It's not Linux's fault, but my own, simply because I've spent years making sure that my box looks " bitchin' ", and spent alot less time actually learning what I was supposed to in the first place. So, what do I have after 10 years? I suck at firewall-ing, I'm certaintly more pro-efficient with Ubuntu's Firestarter frontend, or even with ZoneAlarm on Windows, than I am with, let's say, PF. I'm ashamed to say that I've always chosen the easy path: no open ports on my main box, rather than learning how to configure a secure machine. I can make Gnome look 10 times better than Vista, but I don't ...

2004: IBM embraces Linux internally. 2011: IBM is 90% Windows on the desktop
Jan 2004: "Our chairman has challenged the IT organization, and indeed all of IBM, to move to a Linux based desktop before the end of 2005. The Inquirer (http://s.tt/14VpY) http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1041089/internal-memo-confirms-ibm-linux-desktop Dec 29 2010: "The Windows XP Client for eBusiness is currently the most dominant and I would estimate it to be used by over 90% of the employee population (350,000+ people)." http://www.quora.com/IBM/What-percentage-of-employees-at-IBM-use-Linux-vs-Windows-or-Mac-as-their-day-to-day-OS-laptop-desktop Linux: the desktop OS nobody wants or needs. On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 19:47:48 -0500, DFS wrote: > Jan 2004: "Our chairman has challenged the IT organization, and indeed > all of IBM, to move to a Linux based desktop before the end of 2005. > The Inquirer (http://s.tt/14VpY) > > http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1041089/internal-memo-confirms-ibm-linux-desktop > > > > Dec 29 2010: "The Windows XP Client for eBusiness is currently the most > dominant and I would estimate it to be used by over 90% of the employee > population (350,000+ people)." > > http://www.quora.com/IBM/What-percentage-of-employees-at-IBM-use-Linux-vs-Windows-or-Mac-as-their-day-to-day-OS-laptop-desktop > > > > Linux: the desktop OS nobody wants or needs. IBM is doing a major rollout of new corporate laptop...

Is The Linux Desktop Dead? Linux journalists seem to think so.
http://www.datamation.com/open-source/is-the-linux-desktop-dead-1.html "Predictions about when the year of the Linux desktop might finally arrive are a long-standing joke. They are so widespread that even Jim Zemlin, executive director of the Linux Foundation, laughed about them in his keynote at this year's LinuxCon." On Friday 04 November 2011 23:22 Killy wrote: > http://www.datamation.com/open-source/is-the-linux-desktop-dead-1.html > > "Predictions about when the year of the Linux desktop might finally > arrive are a long-standing joke. They are so widespread that even > Jim Zemlin, executive director of the Linux Foundation, laughed > about them in his keynote at this year's LinuxCon." *You* seem to be *another* nice American lady. I was just telling another nice American lady called "Gilbert" how I had been talking to another nice American lady called "Sherlock" about *another* nice American lady called "flatfish", and how poor flatfish's husband had left her for another bloke, and how I hadn't hear from "Sherlock" again since I said that. ..... come to think, I haven't heard from "Gilbert" since I told her all that, and she said she'd help me :-( Will *you* help me? Can you find flatfish, and Sherlock, and Gilbert and all those other nice American ladies for me? Killy wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties: > http://www.datam...

The Linux desktop experience is killing Linux on the desktop.
Another "satisfied" Linux user finally realizes that Linux is slop ware. Interesting how he discusses the same problematic areas of Linux that the Linturds in COLA deny exist. http://batsov.com/Linux/Windows/Rant/2011/06/11/linux-desktop-experience-killing-linux-on-the-desktop.html http://tinyurl.com/5wgyhnx "I��ve been using GNU/Linux exclusively for 8 years now. I��ve spent a lot of time with Fedora, Gentoo and Arch Linux. I use it at home, I use it at work and along the way I��ve converted many Windows users to Linux. I��ve lived through a lot of driver and software problems with Linux, hoping that the day would come when it will become a first-class citizen of the desktop operating systems town. Alas, this day never came and probably never will.My patience ended this week and I��ll be gradually moving all my desktop machines back to Windows." ---Snip the gory details "The Shit I endured" "Non-existing ethernet/wireless drivers - not so common today, but try remembering the time circa 2005 Non-existing/crappy audio drivers - got an X-Fi 5 years ago, ALSA driver was released 3-4 years later and was total piece of garbage, OSS driver was barely usable. I don��t even get me started on USB audio support - what a joke�K Lamest video card drivers ever - most video card drivers for Linux are so bad I cannot even watch tear-free video. Nvidia have the only decent video driver, but it��s far from perfect either - no KMS, poor 2D accele...

Why linux is linux

My Linux is not your Linux

I have Linux! I have Linux!

[News] [Linux] Novell Loses Chief Architect of Linux Desktop
[Robert Love Leaving Novell] ,----[ Quote ] | This marks my 261st blog entry as a Novell employee. It shall also | mark my last. `---- http://rlove.org/log/ Novell's tactful decision to enter a deal with Microsoft... Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused: > [Robert Love Leaving Novell] > > ,----[ Quote ] >| This marks my 261st blog entry as a Novell employee. It shall also >| mark my last. > `---- > > http://rlove.org/log/ > > Novell's tactful decision to enter a deal with Microsoft... It would appear that SuSE will soon be Mi...

Is Desktop Linux Simply A Waste Of Time? And Why?
Of course it is. Take a look in any Linux group or blog and you will see the same pattern all over the place. It goes like this: User asks a very basic question. Linux advocates come back with either RTFM or a whole laundry list of arcane commands lines, all different, to accomplish a basic task. This is the lack of consistency that Linux has. It's a mess. Everyone knows it. Few Linux advocates will admit it. So how can Linux be improved? Focusing on a single distribution and making it killer is one way. Of course this will piss off the choice losers. Entice some large ...

[News] GNU/Linux Linux Beats Electricity-wasting Windows in Benchmark

Re: Is Desktop Linux Simply A Waste Of Time? And Why?
On Friday, October 23, 2015 at 10:13:15 PM UTC-6, Snit wrote: > On 10/23/15, 6:58 PM, in article > OaSdndas-I8heLfLnZ2dnUU7-NmdnZ2d@bresnan.com, "GreyCloud" <cumulus@mist.com> > wrote: > > > On 10/23/15 16:06, John Gohde wrote: > >> On Friday, October 23, 2015 at 5:49:42 PM UTC-4, Big Fish in a Small Crotch > >> wrote: > >>> Of course it is. > >>> Take a look in any Linux group or blog and you will see the same pattern > >>> all over the place. > >>> It goes like this: > >>...

[News] New Linux Mimics Windows XP, Supports Migration to Linux Desktops
New RP-developed Linux 'looks, feels' like Windows XP ,----[ Quote ] | The Department of Science and Technology-Advanced Science and | Technology (DOST-ASTI) recently launched the Bayanihan Linux | version 4 (BL4) and this time, it looks more like Microsoft | Windows XP than the Macintosh OS. | | BL4 is now based on Linux Debian Stable, unlike the previous | version that used Fedora. Likewise, BL4 uses the KDE graphical | user interface that gives it a Microsoft Windows XP look. `---- http://www.asianjournal.com/?c=190&a=19140 Related: DMMSU Migrates to Linux ,----[ Quote ]...

Lowering The Boom on False Linux Advocacy. Was Nvidia. Was Linux vs Windows 7.
Zealots and cults are bad no matter what their cause may be. They do little to further the acceptance of their POV and in fact tend to do harm to the legitimate portions of the cause. All cults and thus the zealots that comprise them are based in some form of truth and reality. The cult of Linux is no different in this matter. One thing about a cult and the cultists themselves is that it is generally trivial for lucid people to expose them for what they really are. In the case of the Linux cult, the misguided people who believe they are edifying Linux are easy to expose. I posted a factual message, backed up by screen shots, demonstrating a defect in Linux, specifically Ubuntu and kUbuntu but not limited to those distributions. The effect was already a known factor and the Linux cultists did not disappoint at all. They swarmed the enemy, me, with their own form of misguided lies, IOW using the Intel driver, or using the Display configuration utility, without even bothering to read the message or look at the screen shots where it was plainly obvious I was not talking about Intel nor did the Display application even recognize that 2 monitors was installed so that was a lost cause. Then we have the "you didn't enable xinerama" as if this has anything to do with the problem. Hint: the nvidia settings program works fine. It just won't parse and properly update the xorg file so the correctly working twinview will not survive a re-boot. This i...

IBM Linux desktop (blue desktop)
Has anyone heard any recent news about the IBM Linux desktop (blue desktop) project......??? So far I have not heard any info from any IBM employees. I have gotten the impression recently that IBM is returning to viewing Linux as primarilly for server applications. On the otherhand it could be that IBM is waiting for the market to develop...... On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:46:51 -0700, Randall Shimizu wrote: > Has anyone heard any recent news about the IBM Linux desktop (blue > desktop) project......??? So far I have not heard any info from any IBM > employees. I have gotten the impression recently that IBM is returning to > viewing Linux as primarilly for server applications. On the otherhand it > could be that IBM is waiting for the market to develop...... They're probably still at the state of working on it behind closed doors before they have something to show everyone, just like what Sun did for their Java Desktop System. -- Mathew M. <mathew@spiesNOSPAMareus.yi.org> GPG public key ID: 0x3DDC1413 This post contains a chemical or chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. This (these) chemical(s) may be harmful to your health. ...

[News] $99 Linux PC Enters Public Beta, Linux Desktop Domination a Matter of Time
$99 Zonbu Linux PC On Sale Today ,----[ Quote ] | We've had our hands on these super-green Linux-and-Via powered babies for a | little while, but now it's your turn. Even though the beta program is | expected to run until September, Zonbu is confident that the hardware on 1.0 | is locked. That's why today, the company started selling the little box, but | will cover the first three months of software support, technically a beta | run, for free. `---- http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/zonbu/99-zonbu-linux-pc-on-sale-today-279478.php From yesterday's interview: Torvalds: L...

[News] [Linux] IBM Brings Linux to AIX and i5/OS Machines Using New Software
IBM Previews Virtualization Management Tool for Power-Based Boxes ,----[ Quote ] | ...Virtual Availability Manager, within the Systems Director | Virtualization Manager tool will allow customers who deploy a Xen | hypervisor on their Linux-on-X64 servers to create what IBM is | calling a "high availability farm" that can be used to rehost | virtual machine partitions that are taken out by crashes. `---- http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh062507-story07.html On Jun 25, 11:06 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@schestowitz.com> wrote: > IBM Previews Virtualization Management To...

[News] Linux, Unlike Windows, Runs Both Linux and Windows Programs

The Linux desktop experience is killing Linux on the desktop, Part II
Unlike the Linturds of COLA, this guy actually uses Linux and knows why it's having problems as a desktop alternative to Windows. Read it and weep freetards!!! Let the discrediting games begin!! http://batsov.com/Linux/Windows/Rant/2011/06/14/linux-desktop-part-2.html Overture A few days back I wrote a somewhat controversial article called, ��The Linux desktop experience is killing Linux on the desktop��. While many readers seem to have grasped the true purpose of the article, a lot of people claimed that it was nothing but FUD (a favorite term of many people in the Linux community, who would rather ignore existing problems than face/acknowledge them). If you��ve read my last post and generally agree with it - don��t bother reading this one. It��s basically more of the same - in greater detail and with less profanities. In this article I��ll have a look at the state of the Linux desktop, it��s usability, strengths and weaknesses. Let��s get some facts straight I��m writing this post from my Emacs 23.2 client (in Markdown, to publish it via git to my jekyll powered blog) connected to my Emacs daemon, running on my Fedora 15 GNOME 3.0 desktop at home. This machine has its every part carefully selected for maximum Linux compatibility (the machine is a bit old, but that wasn��t always the case) - a GeForce 9600GT known to work ��great�� with the open-source nouveau driver, an Asus Xonar DX sound card, supported by the great Oxygen HD audio driver, etc. I do know how...

File transfer / sharing between embedded linux version 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux)
Hi, I am trying to share / transfer files between embedded linux version 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux). What is the best way to achieve this ? Thanks in advance for your time & help. Regards Ram On Jul 11, 8:44 am, ramson...@gmail.com wrote: > I am trying to share / transfer files between embedded linux version > 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux). What is the best way to > achieve this ? Samba is a set of tools that lets linux be a client and/or server of windows (smb) file sharing. If your linux system has the resources, that would be very transparent once...

linux today
bawawawa!!!! linux. I hate it already!!!! http://fr.linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2010081101435OSMR The consistent failure of Linux to grab even 1% of the desktop OS market Aug 11, 2010 "Linux has been around for almost two decades now. It has become a resounding success as a server OS (for example as the L in the famous LAMP stack), and more recently as a mobile OS (Android). But what about on the desktop? "Linux enthusiasts have been predicting the rise of Linux as a desktop OS for the better part of a decade. To name just one of many examples, in 2003, Siemens Business Systems predicted that Linux would have captured 20% of the desktop market by 2008. "Well, it's now 2010, and desktop Linux isn't even close to 20%. Or one tenth of that." On 2010-10-10, One Shot, One-Kill <fredie@gmail.com> wrote: One snot, one shill wanks on about the shrinking "desktop market"... Who the fuck cares about "the desktop"? Oh, I know ....WINTROLLS... Is there even a desktop "market" any more? Linux is EVERYWHERE! It's on your router..it's in your TV it's on your phone... -- Regards, Gregory. Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power On 10 Oct 2010 05:36:07 GMT, Gregory Shearman <ZekeGregory@netscape.net> wrote: > One snot, one shill wanks on about the shrinking "desktop market"... > Who the fuck cares about "the desktop"? What a total joke he ...

File transfer / sharing between embedded linux version 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux)
Hi, I am trying to share / transfer files between embedded linux version 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux). What is the best way to achieve this ? Thanks in advance for your time & help. Regards Ram <ramsonney@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1184161595.496086.263480@z28g2000prd.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I am trying to share / transfer files between embedded linux version > 2.6.8.1 and desktops (windows or linux). What is the best way to > achieve this ? > > Thanks in advance for your time & help. Regards > > Ram &g...

Web resources about - IBM Linux chief: Chasing desktop Windows a 'dead-end' - 'Don't waste your time' - comp.os.linux.advocacy