IBM's support for Linux half-hearted and self serving

http://www.infoworld.com/d/windows/ibm-pitches-ubuntu-linux-in-place-
windows-7-772

If IBM is such a Linux fan why haven't they migrated at least part of
their 120.000 plus desktops to Linux? Maybe the phrase 'eat your own
dog food' doesn't ring a bell in Armonk. I'm convinced that huge
numbers of IBM personnel would do just fine with Ubuntu, since most of
them only use web browsing and e-mail. For IBM employees who need
Windows (because customers who use it) they could simply run Windows
inside VirtualBox or VMWare Player. That would delegate Windows to a
'minor' role on people's computer, which is psychologically significant.

I think this lips-only support for Linux is half-hearted and a self-
serving 'strategic move' to damage a competitor, but I'm convinced
people will look though this when they ask themselves why IBM isn't
using Linux itself.

non corrisponde ad un utente   |message is not related to a real
di un sistema anonimizzatore   |anonymous system
Per maggiori informazioni      |For more info
                  https://www.mixmaster.it

0
nobody18 (481)

[News] [Linux] IBM's Power6 Chip Released and Supports Linux
IBM introduces Power6 chip ,----[ Quote ] | The company plans to introduce the Power6 chip throughout two | server lines--the System p machines that run Unix and the System | i machines that run the i5/OS operating system. Both systems also | can run Linux. `---- http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6185310.html Related: Kernel Comparison for Linux (2.6.18) verses Windows (2003 R2) ,----[ Quote ] | Architectures: Linux Windows | PC x86 Y Y | PC AMD64 Y Y | PC IA-64 Y Y | Alpha Y N | PPC Y N | PPC64 Y ...

[News] [Linux] Another Company Chooses Linux; Oracle's 'Linux Family' Extends Too
Columbitech Taps SUSE Linux Enterprise From Novell to Help Retailers Reach PCI Compliance and Safeguard Customer Data ,----[ Quote ] | This offering will give retailers PCI compliance by securing all | wireless devices and providing secure wireless access to the | back-end systems. `---- http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070605005558&newsLang=en Momentum continues for Oracle ,----[ Quote ] | Oracle recently announced that momentum continues to build | around the Oracle Unbreakable Linux Support Program (which includes | supp...

Linux Loons Break Into Congressman's Office and trash PC's By Installing Linux on them.
Linux Loons Break Into Congressman's Office and trash PC's By Installing Linux on them. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/26/vandals_install_linux_on_congressman_office_computers/ "According to a statement by the Grimm campaign, large stones and concrete were thrown through the campaign office windows during or around the same time miscreants "corrupted and erased the hard-drive of the campaign computer server, which contains confidential campaign files and polling data", by installing Linux*." These criminals should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. There is nothing worse than installing Linux on a PC. It renders the PC 100 percent useless to the average office worker. Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! Typical Linux loving liberal democrats at work. Foster wrote: > Linux Loons Break Into Congressman's Office and trash PC's By > Installing Linux on them. > > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/26/vandals_install_linux_on_congressman_office_computers/ > > "According to a statement by the Grimm campaign, large stones and > concrete were thrown through the campaign office windows during or > around the same time miscreants "corrupted and erased the hard-drive > of the campaign computer server, which contains confidential > campaign files and polling data", by installing Linux*." > > These criminals should be prosecuted to the fullest...

[News] Linux Foundation Published Interview with IBM's Linux VP

[News] IBM Explains Why Important to Use GNU/Linux, Tom's Hardware Covers Linux

[News] Microsoft's Linux 'Sellouts' Lose to Truly Free GNU/Linux
The World Series of Linux: Round 1 ,----[ Quote ] | But, clearly, Ubuntu shined. It has earned the right to play in the | championship round of The World Series of Linux. The next round will | determine its opponent, as the RPM Round pits SLED 10, Fedora 7 and PCLinuxOS | to compete to pick the best out of those distributions. `---- http://www.crn.com/software/204802194 Guess who lost here? Xandros and Linspire. Here is OpenSUSE losing: First Kubuntu Impressions ,----[ Quote ] | Well, seems like Kubuntu is the clear winner for professional users and also | for enthusiasts. For begi...

[News] IBM's Server Initiative (GNU/Linux) Far Ahead of Microsoft's

[News] IBM Strives to Turn Sun's/Oracle's UNIX to GNU/Linux

Linux Wins Several Awards !! Go Linux!! There's No Stopping Linux Now!
http://linsux.org/index.php?topic=1819.0 *******************Quote*************************** http://pwnie-awards.org/2009/awards.html All quotes are from the Pwnie Award website. The links are to the CVE info page for the bug. Some of the bugs highlighted: Best Server-Side Bug: Linux SCTP FWD Chunk Memory Corruption CVE-2009-0065 http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2009-0065 Quote Remote kernel memory corruption vulnerabilities are rare, remote kernel memory corruption vulnerabilities that are reliably exploitable are even more rare. This vulnerability was a memory corruption in the Linux 2.6 kernel SCTP stack. After a number of the Linux distributions released security advisories claiming that the impact of this bug was only denial of service, sgrakkyu wrote an exploit that actually demonstrated that it was much more serious. The exploit works against vulnerable x86-64 hosts, disabling SELinux if necessary, and popping a remote connect-back shell for the attacker. Good show. Best Privilege Escalation Bug: Linux udev Netlink Message Privilege Escalation CVE-2009-1185 http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2009-1185 Quote In the midst of all the Linux kernel security debates about exploiting NULL function pointer dereferences, Cheddar Bay, transparency regarding known or potential security issues, Cheddar Bay, and the protection afforded by LSMs running within an insecure kernel, Cheddar Bay, sometimes the very simple yet damagin...

[News] Nokia's Linux-based N900 a "resounding success"; Dell's Linux Phone is Reviewed, Coming Soon

The Problem Isn't Linux, It's The Linux Community...
As a desktop system, Linux is decent. I don't feel it's a polished nor are the applications and hardware support as good *overall* as Windows or OSX, but for many people, Linux is a great value and certainly a decent system. So why am I not posting as a Linux advocate? The short answer is that I don't wish to be associated with the slime that passes for Linux advocates these days. Spend 30 minutes in COLA and you will see what I mean. When was the last time you saw a Linux advocate acknowledge that something other than Linux is superior at some task? Almost never happens. That's because these people are in fact a loosely organized, yet very rabid cult of sorts. They are wired to defend the mother ship, Linux, and will not buck the herd. Yet we have the so called "wintrolls" acknowledging, and in some cases, purchasing Linux based products. Android for one. Linux as a server system for another. Linux in embedded devices as another one. Linux in super computers and clusters is another good use for Linux. So how come the so called "Wintrolls" are able to acknowledge Linux's advantages in certain areas but the Linux community will NEVER ADMIT that Linux isn't a good choice in certain areas, like the desktop. Which brings me to another trait of the Linux "advocate" and that is LIEing for LIEnux. This is where the Linux advocate will simply make up stories about Linux just "working" that are clearly and easily pr...

[News] IBM's Irving Wladawsky-Berger (Emeritus) Explains the Company's GNU/Linux Reasoning

[News] Microsoft's Response to IBM; Adobe's Response to Microsoft Lockins; Linux the Anti-Piracy Winner?
What the HP-Microsoft Deal Really Means ,----[ Quote ] | Make no mistake, yesterday's HP-Microsoft agreement is all about thefour | products Microsoft launched last month in New York City. It's also | a competitive swipe against IBM. `---- http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/business_applications/what_the_hpmicrosoft_deal_really_means.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535 Adobe Preps Response to Microsoft XPS ,----[ Quote ] | Adobe may already own the market for electronic documents thanks to | PDF, but the company knows that Microsoft has a habit of showing up | late to the party an...

Spamowitz's bullshit on censorious Dietrich's site: "Why Advocacy of Linux Must Not Tolerate Censorship"
http://www.linuxadvocates.com/2013/03/why-advocacy-of-linux-must-not-tolerate.html First off, the owner of this site - Dietrich Schmitz - is a censorious chump who bans people left and right from his Google+ site. Who does he think he's fooling by running such an article? A thousand to one if you post a dissenting comment /anywhere/ on www.linuxadvocates.com., on any article, it will be removed. And the author, Dr. Roy Spamowitz, is a hypocrite fool as well. He bemoans the use of the terms 'trolls' and 'shills', both of which are terms he used hundreds of times here on cola. Today, Spamowitz continues to use 'shills': http://techrights.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Search&ns0=1&redirs=1&search=shills&limit=20&offset=0 His use of 'trolls' appears to be limited to 'patent trolls' but not always: http://techrights.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Search&limit=20&offset=20&ns0=1&redirs=0&search=trolls Bottom line: a hypocritical article written by a hypocrite and hosted on a site run by a censorious hypocrite. On 3/28/13 6:23 PM, in article kj2qb6$jh2$1@dont-email.me, "DFS" <nospam@dfs.com> wrote: > http://www.linuxadvocates.com/2013/03/why-advocacy-of-linux-must-not-tolerate. > html > > First off, the owner of this site - Dietrich Schmitz - is a censorious > chump who bans people left and right from his Goo...

Linux supporter IBM pays $10's of millions after lying and defrauding investors
http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080602006505&newsLang=en <quote> June 02, 2008 04:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time NEW YORK--Labaton Sucharow LLP, Klafter & Olsen LLP and IBM announce that they have received preliminary approval for an agreement to settle the securities class action titled In re IBM Securities Litigation, No. 1:05-cv-6279 (AKH) (S.D.N.Y.), for $20 million in cash. In this litigation, the plaintiffs alleged that members of the class were damaged by misrepresentations and omissions in IBM's April 5, 2005 an...

[News] In E-Reader Arena, It's Just Linux vs Linux vs Linux

[News] Microsoft's 'Future' is Linux's Yesterday
Parallel Computing`s Already Here ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft's Craig Mundie is right. Parallel computing is going to change | everything about computing, but his timing is off. Thanks to Linux, it's been | here for years. | | The future is today. | | [...] | | It's not just video though. Supercomputers are made up of MPP arrays of | hundred or even thousands of ordinary Intel or AMD chips running Linux. The | current top supercomputer, the IBM Blue Gene/L system at the Lawrence | Livermore Lab, can hit 478.2 teraflops (trillion calculations per second) | with its tens of thousands of PowerPC processors running Linux. Indeed, 85.2 | percent of the fastest 500 supercomputers in the world run Linux. | | Besides doing things that you won't notice in your day-to-day life, like | busting down the human genome into smaller and more comprehensive pieces and | getting weather prediction closer to a science than an educated guess, almost | every time you watch a movie with digital special effects you're seeing | Linux, multicore processors and parallel processing at work. | | Autodesk's Linux-based digital visual effect program Flame, for example, has | been used in movies from the children's movie "Charlotte's Web" to the | re-launch of James Bond in "Casino Royale" to swashbuckling in "Pirates of | the Caribbean: At World's End" and, of course, science fiction thrillers | like "Fan...

US-TX-Austin: Network Eng., Windows OS's, Linux, Support; C-P. (45310514408)
US-TX-Austin: Network Eng., Windows OS's, Linux, Support; C-P. (45310514408) ============================================================================ Position: Network Eng. Reference: SMC01552 Location: Austin TX Duration: Cont to Perm Skills: Exceptional knowledge of Windows OS's Exceptional knowledge of Linux Experienced in Networking, Admin and Support Good interpersonnal skills--can successfully deal with PC users MCSE Desirable Please send your current resume in con...

Web resources about - IBM's support for Linux half-hearted and self serving - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Half-hearted Coalition measures rewarded with drop in polls
Scraping barnacles off the hull of a vessel makes it go faster but voters don't want Tony Abbott to speed up: they want him to change course. ...

US coalition against ISIL shows half-hearted fight - Al Jazeera America
If we were serious about winning, we would partner with Iran

Reddit kills 'unfettered free speech' with half-hearted censorship
It's been a tumultuous time at Reddit recently. The self-styled (albeit slightly sarcastically) Front Page of the Internet raised the ire of ...

Obama's Half-Hearted Airstrikes Mysteriously Fail To "Degrade And Destroy" Islamic State
By Investor's Business Daily War On Terror: U.S. officials report that more than 1,000 foreign fighters are streaming into Syria each month ...

The Sony Hack: China's Half-Hearted Defense of North Korea
Chinese press pieces about Kim Jong Un's dispute with Sony are the minimum support possible.

Here's Miles Teller's Half-Hearted Apology For Flipping Off Divergent
Miles Teller sort of apologizes for saying Divergent sucked in a Tweet and a PR statement, but will hardcore fans of the franchise ever forgive ...

Obama Says Abbas ‘Strongly’ Condemned Synagogue Attack; Israel Sees Response as Half-Hearted and Equivocal ...
By: Patrick Goodenough Obama Says Abbas ‘Strongly’ Condemned Synagogue Attack, But Israel Sees Response as Equivocal Paramedics carry a body ...

OLPC: Won't miss Intel's 'half-hearted' laptop effort
Intel has dropped out of the One Laptop Per Child initiative, and OLPC's CEO says that he's disappointed in the chipmaker's contributions.

NA-154 by-poll: PML-N leaders’ half-hearted support downs Baloch
According to unofficial results, Mr Tareen got 138,719 votes against Baloch’s 99,933.

Ohio State Fan Stays Strong, Keeps Doing Her Half-Hearted "O-H-I-O"
Ohio State was losing by two touchdowns to Virginia Tech last night, and the majority of Ohio Stadium's attendance was gloomy, waiting for the ...