IBM Sabotaged OS/2, But Linux Is Here To Stay For A LONG Time

MS is quite the brave PR powered huckster with no one present to stand up
to it.

MS did a partial PR number on OS/2 (all money-bought lies), but IBM is
the one who really killed it by ending upgrades and support.

Well look at this Linux fellow, a tough-as-nails fighting machine who has
*no fear* of Microsoft, and indeed seems to enjoy a good fight.

The coward (and not just a little looney) MS seems to be buckling at its
bony ageing knees.

PCLinuxOS could not care any less about a bunch of MS nose-ringers
claiming a problem exists. PCLOS just goes out and grabs a vastly more
stable support base for distribution and keeps on making the OS greater,
and gaining good news all the while.

And MS can's do a single thing about it but pay for a few additional
lies, or play paper games with its stock to puff up the illusions.

Linux is a rock, with MS breaking knuckles trying to do something about
it.

Linux has the rock stable code base, the necessary barriers to overcome
to make the race a fun one, the people who love to make it actually
better (as opposed to lying about it better like MS), the large
organizations welcoming it into broad use, the promise of massive funding
slowly being earmarked for Linux deployment, training, third party apps,
developement, and whole lineup of other great things, to look foreward
to.

What's MS got but a bunch of rat infested turf to try and defend with
toothpicks.
0
flyer1 (1157)

On Sun, 6 May 2007 23:16:19 -0700, flyer <flyer@there.net> wrote:

>MS is quite the brave PR powered huckster with no one present to stand up
>to it.
>
>MS did a partial PR number on OS/2 (all money-bought lies), but IBM is
>the one who really killed it by ending upgrades and support.
>
>Well look at this Linux fellow, a tough-as-nails fighting machine who has
>*no fear* of Microsoft, and indeed seems to enjoy a good fight.
>
>The coward (and not just a little looney) MS seems to be buckling at its
>bony ageing knees.
>
>PCLinuxOS could not care any less about a bunch of MS nose-ringers
>claiming a problem exists. PCLOS just goes out and grabs a vastly more
>stable support base for distribution and keeps on making the OS greater,
>and gaining good news all the while.
>
>And MS can's do a single thing about it but pay for a few additional
>lies, or play paper games with its stock to puff up the illusions.
>
>Linux is a rock, with MS breaking knuckles trying to do something about
>it.
>
>Linux has the rock stable code base, the necessary barriers to overcome
>to make the race a fun one, the people who love to make it actually
>better (as opposed to lying about it better like MS), the large
>organizations welcoming it into broad use, the promise of massive funding
>slowly being earmarked for Linux deployment, training, third party apps,
>developement, and whole lineup of other great things, to look foreward
>to.
>
>What's MS got but a bunch of rat infested turf to try and defend with
>toothpicks.
What Linux has that OS/2 never had is exposure to the public via
a worldwide Internet.

Combine that with the fact that Linux is FREE, has relatively few
security issues, has no DRM constrictions, has no activation and
licensing hustles and is easy to use....then it has a good chance of
survival.

It will still be a long haul, but the distros like Ubuntu are
evolving more rapidly then first projected. I think Microsoft
has been literally caught off guard but you do want to
underestimate the power of their marketing system.
They could sell hot tubs in Hell.

John Locke <johnlocke98513@comcast.net> writes:

> On Sun, 6 May 2007 23:16:19 -0700, flyer <flyer@there.net> wrote:
>

>>MS is quite the brave PR powered huckster with no one present to stand up
>>to it.
>>
>>MS did a partial PR number on OS/2 (all money-bought lies), but IBM is
>>the one who really killed it by ending upgrades and support.
>>
>>Well look at this Linux fellow, a tough-as-nails fighting machine who has
>>*no fear* of Microsoft, and indeed seems to enjoy a good fight.
>>
>>The coward (and not just a little looney) MS seems to be buckling at its
>>bony ageing knees.
>>
>>PCLinuxOS could not care any less about a bunch of MS nose-ringers
>>claiming a problem exists. PCLOS just goes out and grabs a vastly more
>>stable support base for distribution and keeps on making the OS greater,
>>and gaining good news all the while.
>>
>>And MS can's do a single thing about it but pay for a few additional
>>lies, or play paper games with its stock to puff up the illusions.
>>
>>Linux is a rock, with MS breaking knuckles trying to do something about
>>it.
>>
>>Linux has the rock stable code base, the necessary barriers to overcome
>>to make the race a fun one, the people who love to make it actually
>>better (as opposed to lying about it better like MS), the large
>>organizations welcoming it into broad use, the promise of massive funding
>>slowly being earmarked for Linux deployment, training, third party apps,
>>developement, and whole lineup of other great things, to look foreward
>>to.
>>
>>What's MS got but a bunch of rat infested turf to try and defend with
>>toothpicks.
> What Linux has that OS/2 never had is exposure to the public via
> a worldwide Internet.
>
> Combine that with the fact that Linux is FREE, has relatively few
> security issues, has no DRM constrictions, has no activation and
> licensing hustles and is easy to use....then it has a good chance of
> survival.
>
> It will still be a long haul, but the distros like Ubuntu are
> evolving more rapidly then first projected. I think Microsoft
> has been literally caught off guard but you do want to
> underestimate the power of their marketing system.
> They could sell hot tubs in Hell.

I agree with your post 100%.

But Linux needs to pick up its gaming support and make concrete plans for
multimedia development - the sound system architecture is a joke at the
moment. Choice is not a good thing in core system architecture.
0
hadronquark (21814)
5/7/2007 9:36:00 AM
After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron Quark belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> But Linux needs to pick up its gaming support and make concrete plans for
> multimedia development - the sound system architecture is a joke at the
> moment. Choice is not a good thing in core system architecture.

There's only one official sound system (at least in the kernel) -- ALSA.
And it has an OSS-compatibility module available to it.

--
   Intel: where Quality is job number 0.9998782345!
0
<hadronquark@gmail.com> wrote:

>John Locke <johnlocke98513@comcast.net> writes:
>
>> On Sun, 6 May 2007 23:16:19 -0700, flyer <flyer@there.net> wrote:
>>

>>>MS is quite the brave PR powered huckster with no one present to stand up
>>>to it.
>>>
>>>MS did a partial PR number on OS/2 (all money-bought lies), but IBM is
>>>the one who really killed it by ending upgrades and support.
>>>
>>>Well look at this Linux fellow, a tough-as-nails fighting machine who has
>>>*no fear* of Microsoft, and indeed seems to enjoy a good fight.
>>>
>>>The coward (and not just a little looney) MS seems to be buckling at its
>>>bony ageing knees.
>>>
>>>PCLinuxOS could not care any less about a bunch of MS nose-ringers
>>>claiming a problem exists. PCLOS just goes out and grabs a vastly more
>>>stable support base for distribution and keeps on making the OS greater,
>>>and gaining good news all the while.
>>>
>>>And MS can's do a single thing about it but pay for a few additional
>>>lies, or play paper games with its stock to puff up the illusions.
>>>
>>>Linux is a rock, with MS breaking knuckles trying to do something about
>>>it.
>>>
>>>Linux has the rock stable code base, the necessary barriers to overcome
>>>to make the race a fun one, the people who love to make it actually
>>>better (as opposed to lying about it better like MS), the large
>>>organizations welcoming it into broad use, the promise of massive funding
>>>slowly being earmarked for Linux deployment, training, third party apps,
>>>developement, and whole lineup of other great things, to look foreward
>>>to.
>>>
>>>What's MS got but a bunch of rat infested turf to try and defend with
>>>toothpicks.
>> What Linux has that OS/2 never had is exposure to the public via
>> a worldwide Internet.
>>
>> Combine that with the fact that Linux is FREE, has relatively few
>> security issues, has no DRM constrictions, has no activation and
>> licensing hustles and is easy to use....then it has a good chance of
>> survival.
>>
>> It will still be a long haul, but the distros like Ubuntu are
>> evolving more rapidly then first projected. I think Microsoft
>> has been literally caught off guard but you do want to
>> underestimate the power of their marketing system.
>> They could sell hot tubs in Hell.
>
>I agree with your post 100%.
>
>But Linux needs to pick up its gaming support and make concrete plans for
>multimedia development - the sound system architecture is a joke at the
>moment. Choice is not a good thing in core system architecture.

If wonder what share of the desktop market Linux would pickup
if they could garner most of the gamers. I would imagine it would
be pretty significant. Linux, however, is going to need directx 10 and
some support from the game developers before anything will happen.

John Locke <johnlocke98513@comcast.net> writes:

> On Mon, 07 May 2007 11:36:00 +0200, Hadron Quark
> <hadronquark@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>John Locke <johnlocke98513@comcast.net> writes:

>>> What Linux has that OS/2 never had is exposure to the public via
>>> a worldwide Internet.
>>>
>>> Combine that with the fact that Linux is FREE, has relatively few
>>> security issues, has no DRM constrictions, has no activation and
>>> licensing hustles and is easy to use....then it has a good chance of
>>> survival.
>>>
>>> It will still be a long haul, but the distros like Ubuntu are
>>> evolving more rapidly then first projected. I think Microsoft
>>> has been literally caught off guard but you do want to
>>> underestimate the power of their marketing system.
>>> They could sell hot tubs in Hell.
>>
>>I agree with your post 100%.
>>
>>But Linux needs to pick up its gaming support and make concrete plans for
>>multimedia development - the sound system architecture is a joke at the
>>moment. Choice is not a good thing in core system architecture.
>
> If wonder what share of the desktop market Linux would pickup
> if they could garner most of the gamers. I would imagine it would
> be pretty significant. Linux, however, is going to need directx 10 and
> some support from the game developers before anything will happen.

Dx9 for free is all it needs. CEDEGA is a "pay monthly" solution.

Most SW writers will stick with Dx9 since they know the XP market is
huge. Dx10 will not be available for XP.

--
You can see that there are 25 unread articles in `news.announce.newusers'.
There are no unread articles, but some ticked articles, in

You can fuck that up to your heart's delight by fiddling with the
`gnus-group-line-format' variable.
		-- From the (ding) Gnus 5 documentation, by Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
0
hadronquark (21814)
5/7/2007 4:33:26 PM
In article <c5lt33lhc6qm2jckckkqmrkc2a0uaivbdq@4ax.com>,
johnlocke98513@comcast.net says...
> On Sun, 6 May 2007 23:16:19 -0700, flyer <flyer@there.net> wrote:
>

> >MS is quite the brave PR powered huckster with no one present to stand up
> >to it.
> >
> >MS did a partial PR number on OS/2 (all money-bought lies), but IBM is
> >the one who really killed it by ending upgrades and support.
> >
> >Well look at this Linux fellow, a tough-as-nails fighting machine who has
> >*no fear* of Microsoft, and indeed seems to enjoy a good fight.
> >
> >The coward (and not just a little looney) MS seems to be buckling at its
> >bony ageing knees.
> >
> >PCLinuxOS could not care any less about a bunch of MS nose-ringers
> >claiming a problem exists. PCLOS just goes out and grabs a vastly more
> >stable support base for distribution and keeps on making the OS greater,
> >and gaining good news all the while.
> >
> >And MS can's do a single thing about it but pay for a few additional
> >lies, or play paper games with its stock to puff up the illusions.
> >
> >Linux is a rock, with MS breaking knuckles trying to do something about
> >it.
> >
> >Linux has the rock stable code base, the necessary barriers to overcome
> >to make the race a fun one, the people who love to make it actually
> >better (as opposed to lying about it better like MS), the large
> >organizations welcoming it into broad use, the promise of massive funding
> >slowly being earmarked for Linux deployment, training, third party apps,
> >developement, and whole lineup of other great things, to look foreward
> >to.
> >
> >What's MS got but a bunch of rat infested turf to try and defend with
> >toothpicks.
> What Linux has that OS/2 never had is exposure to the public via
> a worldwide Internet.
>
> Combine that with the fact that Linux is FREE, has relatively few
> security issues, has no DRM constrictions, has no activation and
> licensing hustles and is easy to use....then it has a good chance of
> survival.
>
> It will still be a long haul, but the distros like Ubuntu are
> evolving more rapidly then first projected. I think Microsoft
> has been literally caught off guard but you do want to
> underestimate the power of their marketing system.
> They could sell hot tubs in Hell.

Heh heh. Hot tubs, heaters, and probably even Vista Homeless.

OS/2 was leagues above windows. It's amazing what a lying corporation
with PR knowhow can foist on a public in the name of money, and then
destroy better stuff that was better for people. Zero ethics.

You're right about the MS PR machine. It's a monster. MS can still infect
namy zones.

Linux is expanding more and faster than anyone ever realized was
possible. Even Linus Torvalds was quite surprised.

I really do think that at some point, possibly (hopefully) soon, a
realization will occur and MS could crash, particularly their bullshit
worthless stock, as everyone twigs theat the future belongs to Linux.
0
flyer1 (1157)