IBM To Offer New Point-of-sale OS From SUSE Linux

The new operating system is based on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server and
will be compatible with IBM's SurePOS cash register machines, eServers
and middleware.

http://www.computerworld.com/newsletter/0,4902,88865,00.html?nlid=AM

--

A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C000BD1D in VXD VMM(01) +
0000AD1D. The current application will be terminated.

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 21:34:14 GMT, alw <alw@LinuxRules.com> wrote:

>The new operating system is based on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server and
>will be compatible with IBM's SurePOS cash register machines, eServers
>and middleware.
>
>http://www.computerworld.com/newsletter/0,4902,88865,00.html?nlid=AM

Really?

ARMONK, N.Y., Jan 8, 2004 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- IBM today announced
that it has received a "Wells Notice" from the staff of the U.S.
Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) in connection with the
SEC's investigation of a customer of IBM's Retail Stores Solutions
unit, which sells point-of-sale products. IBM disclosed the
existence of this investigation on June 2, 2003. The IBM customer
that is the subject of this investigation is Dollar General
Corporation. It is IBM's understanding that an IBM employee in its
Sales and Distribution unit has also received a Wells Notice from
the SEC in connection with this matter.

The Wells Notice notifies IBM that the SEC staff is considering
recommending that the SEC bring a civil action against IBM for
possible violations of the U.S. securities laws relating to Dollar
General's accounting for a specific transaction, by participating in
and aiding and abetting Dollar General's misstatement of its 2000
results. In that transaction, IBM paid Dollar General $11M for
certain used equipment as part of a sale of IBM replacement
equipment in Dollar General's 2000 fourth fiscal quarter.

Under the SEC's procedures, IBM has the opportunity to respond to
the SEC staff before the staff makes a formal recommendation
regarding whether any action should be brought against IBM by the
SEC.

IBM continues to cooperate fully with the investigation relating to
Dollar General and the separate SEC investigation relating to the
recognition of revenue by IBM in 2000 and 2001 primarily concerning
certain types of customer transactions, which is not the subject of
this Wells Notice.

SOURCE: IBM

IBM
Edward Barbini, 914/499-6565

*****Watch IBM Squirm********************

0
flatfish4 (6248)

[News] [Linux] IBM Brings Linux to AIX and i5/OS Machines Using New Software
IBM Previews Virtualization Management Tool for Power-Based Boxes ,----[ Quote ] | ...Virtual Availability Manager, within the Systems Director | Virtualization Manager tool will allow customers who deploy a Xen | hypervisor on their Linux-on-X64 servers to create what IBM is | calling a "high availability farm" that can be used to rehost | virtual machine partitions that are taken out by crashes. `---- http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh062507-story07.html On Jun 25, 11:06 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@schestowitz.com> wrote: > IBM Previews Virtualization Management To...

[News] New Set-top Box Runs Linux, "Linux will Be the Major OS [in This Area]"
Device Profile: SysMaster M10 set-top box ,----[ Quote ] | SysMaster used embedded Linux to build a set-top box with a dizzying array | of audio, video, networking, communications, and data capabilities. The | Tornado M10 Digital Media Center runs Linux 2.6.19, and targets phone and | IP network operators wishing to offer a wide range of services. | | [....] | | Yosifov predicts a bright future for Linux in the embedded device market. | "We believe Linux will be the major OS used in embedded system development | because of its small footprint, reliability, power, and available sof...

[News] 6 New Releases of BSD and GNU/Linux: NetBSD, Skolelinux, paldo, PC/OS, Scientific Linux Fermi...

[News] [Linux] More Speculations About a Google OS Based on GNU/Linux
Google admits that it is going after Microsoft Office... Is Windows next? ,----[ Quote ] | So that brings us to the obvious question: What about the operating | system? There have been rumors for years about a Google PC and/or | Google OS that was based on Linux and aimed at providing a simple, | intuitive desktop for the masses. Naturally, that Google PC would | primarily be an Internet terminal that features Google's online | applications. `---- http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=465 Still getting slapped for spyware (Dell) and news aggregators... Google stands firm behind News search site ,----[ Quote ] | All along, Google has defended News saying that it is protected by | the fair use principle -- because it only reproduces headlines, text | snippets and thumbnail images -- and that it provides great benefit | to media Web sites by sending them readers. `---- http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;535941450;fp;;fpid;;pf;1 ...

I have Linux! I have Linux!
Ok, after two days of trying to get Windos 1900 installed and working , I sat down an hour ago and installed Linux. In an hour. Smirk. Ok, I will be honest. I did have some problems, but I believe they were of my own ignorance. 0) I started with trying to install Suse. However, I couldn't get it to install. Why? Because I didn't read the menu. There is a startup menu and the first entry is boot to harddisk. I thought that was the thing to do so I did it about 4 times. Then I gave up. However, I went back to it and subsequently realized that I should have chosen the 2nd menu, "Install Linux". Duh. 1) Luckily I had the 3 Fedora RC disks. So, I installed that instead (there's a twist, see bottom). Installed quickly (and I mean QUICK -- I installed the Workstation Setup and it went faster than anything I've seen) and easily EXCEPT for DSL. I sort of it remember it asking questions about networking and DSL the last time I installed it on my personal machine, but this time it installed a driver for eth0 and that's it. Ok, so I went in and deleted eth0 and installed an xDSL entry ( using eth0 as the hardware ) and set up my earthlink settings. 2) Ok, so it hooked up quick. Which is a side story. This is an ASUS motherboard with modem, NIC, video, audio on the board. It comes with a CD full of windos drivers. When windos 1900 starts up, it does an autologic and plays the little Windos noise. Then the machine pauses for 1 to 2 m...

My Linux is not your Linux

SUSE Linux: The Choice of a New IBM?
http://www.cmswire.com/cms/enterprise-20/suse-linux-the-choice-of-a-new-ibm-001570.php SUSE Linux: The Choice of a New IBM? "In an effort to steer businesses away from high costs and low flexibility that come with vendor lock-in, IBM opened LinuxWorld in San Francisco with the announcement of an integrated open collaboration client for Novell's SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop. .... According to IBM, businesses choosing to use this open client can save between US$ 300-US$ 500 per user when compared to proprietary offerings such as Microsoft Windows Vista and Microsoft Office. Moreov...

[News] [Linux] Man Chooses Linux Over Mac OS X, Windows
Which OS for Ruby on Rails development? ,----[ Quote ] | I've had experience using Linux servers (no GUIs), so I figured I | could always drop back to the command line if something broke and | I've had to once or twice during installations. But overall I have | been pleasantly surprised at how civil an experience it has been. `---- http://falkayn.blogspot.com/2007/05/which-os-for-ruby-on-rails-development.html ...

Web resources about - IBM To Offer New Point-of-sale OS From SUSE Linux - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Point of sale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The point-of-sale ( POS ) is the time and place where a retail transaction is completed. It is the point at which a customer makes a payment ...

Point of sale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The point of sale ( POS ) is the time and place where a retail transaction is completed. It is the point at which a customer makes a payment ...

Point of sale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Point of sale (also called POS or checkout , during computerization later becoming electronic point of sale or EPOS ) is the place where a retail ...

Point of sale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Point of sale (also called POS or checkout ) is the place where a retail transaction is completed. It is the point at which a customer makes ...

Soldsie Turns Facebook Page Comments Into Point Of Sale
... sale. continued… New Career Opportunities Daily: The best jobs in media .

LightSpeed for iPad - Point of Sale on the App Store on iTunes
Get LightSpeed for iPad - Point of Sale on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Point of Sale - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore Incase.'s photos on Flickr. Incase. has uploaded 4722 photos to Flickr.

Memory scraping malware targets Oracle Micros point-of-sale customers
A new malware program designed to steal payment card details from point-of-sale (PoS) systems is targeting businesses using Oracle Micros products. ...

Point-of-sale malware creators still in business with Spark, an Alina spinoff
A malware program dubbed Spark that steals payment card data from compromised point-of-sale (POS) systems is likely a modification of an older ...

$33m sale of Point Piper mansion is Sydney's third highest price ever
The third highest house price ever recorded in Sydney has been notched up with the sale of a Point Piper waterfront residence for more than $33 ...