It's time to get rid of Windows

<Quote>
Some people out there used no fewer than six Windows botnets to go
after this one guy....How did this happen? It happened because Windows
is an insecure piece of junk. Anyone who knows anything about security
knows that this kind of disaster was only a matter of time. Windows
botnets are responsible for DDoS attacks and most of e-mail spam.

You cannot secure Windows. Microsoft keeps saying that they will, and
they always fail. Period. Windows has been insecure since day one and
it's still going to be insecure when Windows 7 shows up.

Perhaps it's time to start blocking Windows PCs from the Internet.
Sound crazy? Yes, I agree.

But, I'll tell you something else that's crazy. It's crazy that whole
sections of the Internet can be shut down by a few people controlling
huge Windows botnets for petty, personal reasons.
</Quote>

http://blogs.computerworld.com/14510/its_time_to_get_rid_of_windows?page=1
0
nessuno7491 (870)

nessuno <nessuno7491@gmail.com> writes:

> <Quote>
> Some people out there used no fewer than six Windows botnets to go
> after this one guy....How did this happen? It happened because Windows
> is an insecure piece of junk. Anyone who knows anything about security
> knows that this kind of disaster was only a matter of time. Windows
> botnets are responsible for DDoS attacks and most of e-mail spam.
>
> You cannot secure Windows. Microsoft keeps saying that they will, and
> they always fail. Period. Windows has been insecure since day one and
> it's still going to be insecure when Windows 7 shows up.
>
> Perhaps it's time to start blocking Windows PCs from the Internet.
> Sound crazy? Yes, I agree.

You sound crazy.
0
hadronquark (21814)
8/8/2009 2:45:38 PM
On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 16:45:38 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> nessuno <nessuno7491@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> <Quote>
>> Some people out there used no fewer than six Windows botnets to go
>> after this one guy....How did this happen? It happened because Windows
>> is an insecure piece of junk. Anyone who knows anything about security
>> knows that this kind of disaster was only a matter of time. Windows
>> botnets are responsible for DDoS attacks and most of e-mail spam.
>>
>> You cannot secure Windows. Microsoft keeps saying that they will, and
>> they always fail. Period. Windows has been insecure since day one and
>> it's still going to be insecure when Windows 7 shows up.
>>
>> Perhaps it's time to start blocking Windows PCs from the Internet.
>> Sound crazy? Yes, I agree.
>
> You sound crazy.

He may sound crazy, but stop and think about what is being said, its
simply in that cut out the cancer and cure the problem. Microsoft by its
nature is insecure, billion dollar industries have sprung up to exploit
this weakness at the users cost both in performance and their pocket.

Jem..
0
freya (177)
8/8/2009 3:36:16 PM
nessuno wrote:
> <Quote>
> Some people out there used no fewer than six Windows botnets to go
> after this one guy....How did this happen? It happened because Windows
> is an insecure piece of junk. Anyone who knows anything about security
> knows that this kind of disaster was only a matter of time. Windows
> botnets are responsible for DDoS attacks and most of e-mail spam.
>
> You cannot secure Windows. Microsoft keeps saying that they will, and
> they always fail. Period. Windows has been insecure since day one and
> it's still going to be insecure when Windows 7 shows up.
>
> Perhaps it's time to start blocking Windows PCs from the Internet.
> Sound crazy? Yes, I agree.
>
> But, I'll tell you something else that's crazy. It's crazy that whole
> sections of the Internet can be shut down by a few people controlling
> huge Windows botnets for petty, personal reasons.
> </Quote>
>
> http://blogs.computerworld.com/14510/its_time_to_get_rid_of_windows?page=1

"whole sections of the Internet shut down"?

Who does that Linux loser SJVN think he's fooling?  It was a 20% increase
above normal Twitter traffic, and the Linux sludgeware fell right over.

0
nospam11 (18349)
8/8/2009 4:23:52 PM
nessuno wrote:

> <Quote>
> Some people out there used no fewer than six Windows botnets to go
> after this one guy....How did this happen? It happened because Windows
> is an insecure piece of junk. Anyone who knows anything about security
> knows that this kind of disaster was only a matter of time. Windows
> botnets are responsible for DDoS attacks and most of e-mail spam.
>
> You cannot secure Windows. Microsoft keeps saying that they will, and
> they always fail. Period. Windows has been insecure since day one and
> it's still going to be insecure when Windows 7 shows up.
>
> Perhaps it's time to start blocking Windows PCs from the Internet.
> Sound crazy? Yes, I agree.
>
> But, I'll tell you something else that's crazy. It's crazy that whole
> sections of the Internet can be shut down by a few people controlling
> huge Windows botnets for petty, personal reasons.
> </Quote>
>
> http://blogs.computerworld.com/14510/its_time_to_get_rid_of_windows?page=1

Even more amazing ISPs are not being sued for allowing easily detected
illegal botnet traffic through their networks but still allow others
to sue users for file sharing! May be ISPs are all terrorist sympathisers
like micoshaft and its terrorism selling and facilitating botnet friendly
OS.

"Jeremy Fisher" <freya@linux.site> wrote in message
> On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 16:45:38 +0200, Hadron wrote:
>
>> nessuno <nessuno7491@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> <Quote>
>>> Some people out there used no fewer than six Windows botnets to go
>>> after this one guy....How did this happen? It happened because Windows
>>> is an insecure piece of junk. Anyone who knows anything about security
>>> knows that this kind of disaster was only a matter of time. Windows
>>> botnets are responsible for DDoS attacks and most of e-mail spam.
>>>
>>> You cannot secure Windows. Microsoft keeps saying that they will, and
>>> they always fail. Period. Windows has been insecure since day one and
>>> it's still going to be insecure when Windows 7 shows up.
>>>
>>> Perhaps it's time to start blocking Windows PCs from the Internet.
>>> Sound crazy? Yes, I agree.
>>
>> You sound crazy.
>
> He may sound crazy, but stop and think about what is being said, its
> simply in that cut out the cancer and cure the problem. Microsoft by its
> nature is insecure, billion dollar industries have sprung up to exploit
> this weakness at the users cost both in performance and their pocket.

Where is the loss, though?  The internet remains totally useable and so do
email, financial account management, media viewing, and many other things
that you can do with your computer.  All these attacks and other disasters
don't seem to bother the ordinary person with ordinary use.  All this fuss
and bother seems pointless and fails to manifest itself to the people that
are said to be suffering.  All we ever seem to do is read about how it is a
horrible threat.

0
acdc (4867)
8/8/2009 10:39:51 PM
Jeremy Fisher <freya@linux.site> said on 2009-08-08:
> On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 16:45:38 +0200, Hadron wrote:
>
>>> Perhaps it's time to start blocking Windows PCs from the Internet.
>>> Sound crazy? Yes, I agree.
>>
>> You sound crazy.
>
> He may sound crazy, but stop and think about what is being said, its
> simply in that cut out the cancer and cure the problem. Microsoft by its
> nature is insecure, billion dollar industries have sprung up to exploit
> this weakness at the users cost both in performance and their pocket.

More than an operating system, Microsoft's problem is its users. If
Mac/Linux were to be a majority, it would still be the users that
would be a matter of concern. GNU/Linux's architecture offers
benefit over Windows.
0
NoWay2 (985)
8/9/2009 3:24:33 AM
On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 03:24:33 +0000 (UTC), Ruel Smith wrote:

> More than an operating system, Microsoft's problem is its users. If
> Mac/Linux were to be a majority, it would still be the users that
> would be a matter of concern. GNU/Linux's architecture offers
> benefit over Windows.

But Gnu would still have the users to contend with.
Short of making an OS completely and totally unfriendly to
users, it is difficult with current technology to totally
protect the system.
Microsoft found that out with UAE.

Today, the biggest problems are people who click on everything
under the sun. For desktops it's not going to matter if it's
Linux or Windows because the user's data will be compromised so
even if the OS is safe, the damage is done.

I agree though that Linux and OSX being built from the ground up
to be secure have a better chance.
0
moshegoldfarb (3146)
8/9/2009 12:53:29 PM
Moshe Goldfarb <moshegoldfarb@yahoo.com> writes:

> On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 03:24:33 +0000 (UTC), Ruel Smith wrote:
>

>> More than an operating system, Microsoft's problem is its users. If
>> Mac/Linux were to be a majority, it would still be the users that
>> would be a matter of concern. GNU/Linux's architecture offers
>> benefit over Windows.
>
> But Gnu would still have the users to contend with.

And the "advocates". See Ahlstrom et al saying its as safe to download,
untar, configure and make in su as it is to do it all as a normal user
and then only "sudo make install".

Laughable ignorance from them.

--
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/windows-emulation/wine-faq/

"Nope, we know what an emulator does, and wine doesn't." - AH
 ** http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/dec7cb073d761af4
0
hadronquark (21814)
8/9/2009 12:55:46 PM
Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 03:24:33 +0000 (UTC), Ruel Smith wrote:
>

>> More than an operating system, Microsoft's problem is its users. If
>> Mac/Linux were to be a majority, it would still be the users that
>> would be a matter of concern. GNU/Linux's architecture offers
>> benefit over Windows.
>
> But Gnu would still have the users to contend with.
> Short of making an OS completely and totally unfriendly to
> users, it is difficult with current technology to totally
> protect the system.
> Microsoft found that out with UAE.

UAE is a bandaid to solve problems unix does not have in the first place.
Additionally, UAE is *badly* made, and MS is taking back several steps
because it was such a PITA in Vista for the users.
And what did they get with that in Win7? It is less secure even than
Vista.
They don't even repair some major flaw in UAE which was discovered weeks
ago, which will give apps admin-rights without the user noticing anything

> Today, the biggest problems are people who click on everything
> under the sun. For desktops it's not going to matter if it's
> Linux or Windows because the user's data will be compromised so
> even if the OS is safe, the damage is done.

Wrong. IN windows, you can actually run something from the web if you
click on anything.
In linux, this is much less likely so (basically only Java/Javascript)

> I agree though that Linux and OSX being built from the ground up
> to be secure have a better chance.

You forgot that little word "much" before "better"
--
Avoid reality at all costs.

On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 15:16:47 +0200, Peter K�hlmann wrote:

> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 03:24:33 +0000 (UTC), Ruel Smith wrote:
>>

>>> More than an operating system, Microsoft's problem is its users. If
>>> Mac/Linux were to be a majority, it would still be the users that
>>> would be a matter of concern. GNU/Linux's architecture offers
>>> benefit over Windows.
>>
>> But Gnu would still have the users to contend with.
>> Short of making an OS completely and totally unfriendly to
>> users, it is difficult with current technology to totally
>> protect the system.
>> Microsoft found that out with UAE.
>
> UAE is a bandaid to solve problems unix does not have in the first place.
> Additionally, UAE is *badly* made, and MS is taking back several steps
> because it was such a PITA in Vista for the users.

Exactly!
That's my point.

> And what did they get with that in Win7? It is less secure even than
> Vista.

A less intrusive UAE from what I can see.
I'm not up on Windows 7 other than running it for a while with
no troubles at all except some drivers that have to be coaxed
into installing due to being beta level.

> They don't even repair some major flaw in UAE which was discovered weeks
> ago, which will give apps admin-rights without the user noticing anything
>
>> Today, the biggest problems are people who click on everything
>> under the sun. For desktops it's not going to matter if it's
>> Linux or Windows because the user's data will be compromised so
>> even if the OS is safe, the damage is done.
>
> Wrong. IN windows, you can actually run something from the web if you
> click on anything.
> In linux, this is much less likely so (basically only Java/Javascript)

Doesn't matter if they click it on the web or download and click
it.
You've seen Windows users with "8 million" icons in the system
tray?
These people are their own worst enemies.

>> I agree though that Linux and OSX being built from the ground up
>> to be secure have a better chance.
>
> You forgot that little word "much" before "better"

That remains to be seen as Linux gains popularity and gets
attacked, desktop Linux, more often.

No OS will prevent user idiocy.
0
moshegoldfarb (3146)
8/9/2009 1:48:03 PM
Ruel Smith wrote:

>More than an operating system, Microsoft's problem is its users.

Micro$oft purports to serve the clueless masses.  The users are not to
blame.

0
chrisv (22840)

What's Windows Doing With It's Time
There are still a few (getting fewer) reasons why I have to boot into XP. One of them is being able to use the Rhapsody client to transfer music to my Sansa m240 mp3 player. So, here I am, with 1G RAM and a 2Ghz Athlon 2400, plenty of disk, and my machine crawls to a halt. I am simply downloading a few music files from Real (serially, it doesn't know how to do simultaneous downloads like bittorrent), and reading some web pages and reading COLA and email. These activities bring my machine to a dead stop. Loading a web page takes minutes. I check Task Manager -- network activity, at least according to its graph, is a very, very low -- so it's not a network bottleneck. Then I look at CPU -- it flashes up to 100% and a low of 50%. For what? What is Windows doing ??? In article <x_GdnU5oKv4nQcTbnZ2dnUVZ_jydnZ2d@speakeasy.net>, jabailo@texeme.com says... > > There are still a few (getting fewer) reasons why I have to boot into > XP. One of them is being able to use the Rhapsody client to transfer > music to my Sansa m240 mp3 player. > > So, here I am, with 1G RAM and a 2Ghz Athlon 2400, plenty of disk, and > my machine crawls to a halt. I am simply downloading a few music files > from Real (serially, it doesn't know how to do simultaneous downloads > like bittorrent), and reading some web pages and reading COLA and email. > These activities bring my machine to a dead stop. > > Loading...

[News] Reasons to Embrace GNU/Linux at OS X's and Windows' Expense

How do I get rid of Mail's 'suggestions'
Actually, not me, my mother. She once typed my email address wrongly into Mail's 'To' field. Now, if she starts to type my address in that field (I'm trying to get her to use the address book instead), the programme brings up a list of everything she's ever typed there starting with the letter 'S', with the incorrect address at the top of the list. She forgets that this address is wrong, selects it, and wonders why her email bounces. Where are these 'suggestions' stored? Is there a preference I can disable or a file a can trash to get rid of them, or, at le...

Enabling a Unix OS in dual boot config with a Windows OS to maintain a valid keytab in Active Directory without invalidating the Windows OS's domain trust relationship
Dear List, This information is aimed at sites for which all of the following apply: - Sites that are using Active Directory as a Kerberos KDC - Sites that have dual-boot configured machines running both a Linux and W= indows based OS with the same hostname - Sites that want to have a working Kerberos keytab on the Linux OS, but w= ithout invalidating the trust relationship between the Windows OS and Activ= e Directory. This problem may be old news or may not apply, but it can be solved with a = few steps: Problem/Background: If a keytab is constructed for the Linux OS (using mskt= util, ktpass etc), the password of the corresponding computer account is re= set in Active Directory in order for client and domain controller(s) to hav= e matching keys. This invalidates the Windows OS's password, which no longe= r matches the one stored in Active Directory. This results in the following= error when attempting to logon to the domain from the Windows OS: 'The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain fai= led' A Solution: Configure the Windows OS to use a password which matches that u= sed by the Linux OS (I used the NetJoinDomain function to do this). There i= s an increased security risk, in that the Windows OS can no longer periodic= ally update the key, but developing a custom key renewal system which does = not invalidate either OS's key might be an option. Steps: 1. Login as the local Administrator on the Windows OS 2. Disab...

IBM Linux chief: Chasing desktop Windows a 'dead-end'
<quote> LinuxCon 2009 IBM says that battling for desktop market share against Windows is a "dead-end" for Linux. Sutor drew up several possible futures for the Linux desktop in the years ahead, including Linux going away altogether, one distribution dominating Linux desktops, one distro dominating all desktops, Linux reaching parity with Microsoft and Apple, and desktop Linux disappearing altogether and making the whole issue moot. "Most people say, 'I don't want to be bothered. It just works. I want to do the other parts of my job, and I want to go home,'" said Sutor. "So this, I think, is going to be a major, major portion that determines possibly some of those futures. What are we really trying to do with this thing? I think making it a complete drop-in replacement is a dead-end strategy. Sutor argued that it's a mistake to try to sell or convince people to use something when they're not interested and will never use it. "Don't waste your time," he said. "So in the same way, with Linux desktops, you've got to decide ... who are the real potential users and focus on them to the exclusion of other people who - frankly - just aren't interested," Sutor said. </quote> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/09/21/linuxcon_2009_sutor_keynote/ On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:20:18 -0400, Ezekiel wrote: > <quote> > LinuxCon 2009 IBM says that battling for desktop marke...

Mac's OS X versus Window's XP, General Discussion
I would like to hear anyone's comments, opinions, "proof", etc. about the relative merits and drawbacks of the specific OSs that run on _modern_ Mac hardware and modern PC hardware. (any brand of PC hardware, as long as it is modern) If possible, I would prefer the discussion to be about two specific OSs, the Windows XP (home edition), and the Apple OS X, the current OS being 10.3.6 I probably have the wrong picture about the relative merits and drawbacks. Let me put it in words, then possibly some here could correct my assumptions, or even add new things I am not aware of. The assumption here is that the "latest and greatest" general consumer hardware is being used on both platforms. In all cases below OS X is being compared against XP, home edition. Merits of OS X - - - **************************************** 1) Stronger inherent security of the OS X itself against viruses. 2) Easier for a newbie to learn, assuming newbie stays away from OSX's command line. (Unix) 3) Better support for popular hardware drivers. 4) Fairly good support for Unix in the same OS X. 5) Better support for the "creative arts", i.e. desktop publishing, creating movies, creating advertising, etc. 6) OS has better stability against crashing. 7) Important OS configuration features tend to be better located in a central location, instead of being scattered all over. ***************************************** Merits of OS XP, home...

What If Linux and Windows Started at the Same Time? (Let's discuss)
Maybe it's time for some serious discussion around here. Let's say Linux and Windows started at the same time. Gates hooked up with IBM and Linux was emerging from the FOSS world. What do you think would have happened and which would be the world leader today? My first opinion is that Microsoft still would have become the leader but that Linux might have a much better market share, like maybe 30 percent, by now. My second opinion is that if Linux got good enough back then, which it probably would have, IBM would have ditched OS/2 and it's ties to Microsoft and we would all be running Linux now instead of Windows. Just some food for thought. -- flatfish+++ Please visit our hall of Linux idiots. http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/ Watching Linux Fail: http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/ Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead "By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory." http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html On 5/13/2011 7:48 PM, flatfish+++ wrote: > > Maybe it's time for some serious discussion around here. > > Let's say Linux and Windows started at the same time. > Gates hooked up with IBM and Linux was emerging from the FOSS world. > > What do you think would have happened and which would be the world > leader today? > > My first opinion is that Microsoft still would have become the leader ...

Dr. Dobb's | It's Time to Get Good at Functional Programming | 12 3, 2008
Dr. Dobb's recently published the following introductory survey article on functional programmiing: Dr. Dobb's | It's Time to Get Good at Functional Programming | 12 3, 2008 http://www.ddj.com/development-tools/212201710;jsessionid=3MQLTTYJRPL3CQSNDLRSKH0CJUNN2JVN In particular, Scala, F#, Erlang, Haskell, and Mathematica are discussed in some detail, and OCaML is mentioned in passing. Unfortunately, the article does not mention some of the more significant programming languages (e.g., Scheme is not mentioned at all), tends to overgeneralize (e.g., it describes Haskell as "a foundation for research" without citing the recent "Real World Haskell" publication), and is inconsistent in some places (e.g., it describes Erlang as "a general-purpose language," but then, in the very same sentence, proceeds to describe it as being "specifically designed ... for building highly parallel, distributed, fault-tolerant systems"). Further, the article commits a number of significant factual errors. In particular, on the first page, the articles states that, >"In any functional programming language, you are likely to encounter these features: > >... > * Heavy use of pattern matching, although technically it is not a defining feature of FP. > * Lazy evaluation, which makes possible the creation of infinite sequences and other data structures." Pattern matching is not a standard feature of a number of maj...

[News] [Linux] Dell's Linux Won't Emulate Windows, Might Go Beyond the US in Future
Ubuntu Founder: No Emulation Software for Dell Systems ,----[ Quote ] | "While Linux is an alternative to Windows, it is not cheap Windows. Linux | has its own strengths, and users should want it because of those | strengths and not because it's a cheap copy of Windows," he said. `---- http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2125848,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616 Dell explains Linux delays ,----[ Quote ] | "We are adjusting the roadmap for the rest of the world, but this has | just not been announced yet," Greffier added. `---- http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000...

Spamowitz's bullshit on censorious Dietrich's site: "Why Advocacy of Linux Must Not Tolerate Censorship"
http://www.linuxadvocates.com/2013/03/why-advocacy-of-linux-must-not-tolerate.html First off, the owner of this site - Dietrich Schmitz - is a censorious chump who bans people left and right from his Google+ site. Who does he think he's fooling by running such an article? A thousand to one if you post a dissenting comment /anywhere/ on www.linuxadvocates.com., on any article, it will be removed. And the author, Dr. Roy Spamowitz, is a hypocrite fool as well. He bemoans the use of the terms 'trolls' and 'shills', both of which are terms he used hundreds of times here on cola. Today, Spamowitz continues to use 'shills': http://techrights.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Search&ns0=1&redirs=1&search=shills&limit=20&offset=0 His use of 'trolls' appears to be limited to 'patent trolls' but not always: http://techrights.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Search&limit=20&offset=20&ns0=1&redirs=0&search=trolls Bottom line: a hypocritical article written by a hypocrite and hosted on a site run by a censorious hypocrite. On 3/28/13 6:23 PM, in article kj2qb6$jh2$1@dont-email.me, "DFS" <nospam@dfs.com> wrote: > http://www.linuxadvocates.com/2013/03/why-advocacy-of-linux-must-not-tolerate. > html > > First off, the owner of this site - Dietrich Schmitz - is a censorious > chump who bans people left and right from his Goo...

Can Linux Survive the Beating it's Getting? The 2.6 Linux kernel doesn't even work!!!
SCO is suing Linus. Microsoft is still number one. Redhat Linux is dumping the small business home user market and giving them unsupported beta Fedora distro that has no backward patches. Novell bought out SuSE, and as we all know many Novell alumni are now at SCO. Novell will take care of SuSE the same way as SCO does with Linux. Contrary to what the advocates say, Linux is hard to use. I am using SuSE 8.2 and my upgrade to the 2.6 test-9 kernel was unsuccessful. I compiled the kernel using the following steps. make xconfig make bzImage make modules make modules_install I moved the r...

[News] GoboLinux -- The Linux That's Structured Like Windows -- Gets Reviewed

US-TX-Austin: Director of IT /Network Eng., Windows OS's, Linux, Support; C-P. (45310857603)
US-TX-Austin: Director of IT /Network Eng., Windows OS's, Linux, Support; C-P. (45310857603) ============================================================================================ Position: Director of IT /Network Eng. Reference: SMC01552 Location: Austin TX Duration: Cont to Perm or Direct hire for right candidate Skills: Exceptional knowledge of Windows OS's Exceptional knowledge of Linux Experienced in Networking, Admin and Support Start up Experience Hands on LAN/ WAN Exchange expereince ...

US-TX-Austin: Director of IT /Network Eng., Windows OS's, Linux, Support; C-P. (45311432401)
US-TX-Austin: Director of IT /Network Eng., Windows OS's, Linux, Support; C-P. (45311432401) ============================================================================================ Position: Director of IT /Network Eng. Reference: SMC01552 Location: Austin TX Duration: Cont to Perm or Direct hire for right candidate Skills: Exceptional knowledge of Windows OS's Exceptional knowledge of Linux Experienced in Networking, Admin and Support Start up Experience Hands on LAN/ WAN Exchange expereince ...

Web resources about - It's time to get rid of Windows - comp.os.linux.advocacy