Java Java

Have my first Open Source Linux Java Project.
Working on a second right now.

Coming out with a distro called OPEN*WINDOWS.

It will be at www.black-and-company.com

tab wrote:
> Have my first Open Source Linux Java Project.
> Working on a second right now.
>
> Coming out with a distro called OPEN*WINDOWS.
>
> It will be at www.black-and-company.com

Wasn't that the whole point of Lindows?

Oh, right, we didn't care for that either.
tab wrote:
> Have my first Open Source Linux Java Project.
> Working on a second right now.
>
> Coming out with a distro called OPEN*WINDOWS.
>
> It will be at www.black-and-company.com

Hmm.  Expect Microsoft lawyers to be calling at the door any day soon.

But,  in all honesty Trent, if I may call you that,
Open*Windows, and that web site smells very much like
bullshit to me.
tab wrote:

> Have my first Open Source Linux Java Project.
> Working on a second right now.

Are you using Eclipse?

> Coming out with a distro called OPEN*WINDOWS.

Are you *asking* for a lawsuit?

> It will be at www.black-and-company.com

I like the website.

--
360 updated 10/5
http://360.yahoo.com/manfrommars_43

0
jabailo (8241)
10/14/2005 3:06:25 PM
John Bailo wrote:
> tab wrote:
>

>>Have my first Open Source Linux Java Project.
>>Working on a second right now.
>

> Are you using Eclipse?
>

>>Coming out with a distro called OPEN*WINDOWS.
>

> Are you *asking* for a lawsuit?
>

>>It will be at www.black-and-company.com
>

> I like the website.

It's a spoof website. Only a complete and utter cretin  would
call a Linux distro Open*Windows, because the very expensive
Microsoft lawyers would descend very quickly.

Then again, tab has demonstrated his unerring cretinous quality
on numerous occasions.

MarkG wrote:

> It's a spoof website. Only a complete and utter cretin  would
> call a Linux distro Open*Windows, because the very expensive
> Microsoft lawyers would descend very quickly.

I feel a fool!

--
360 updated 10/5
http://360.yahoo.com/manfrommars_43

0
jabailo (8241)
10/14/2005 3:36:53 PM
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, tab
<trentallenblack@yahoo.com>
 wrote
on 13 Oct 2005 17:52:36 -0700
<1129251156.710778.151250@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>:
> Have my first Open Source Linux Java Project.
> Working on a second right now.
>
> Coming out with a distro called OPEN*WINDOWS.
>
> It will be at www.black-and-company.com

Hmm.

[1] "Wether" -> "Whether".
[2] The HTML is ... uh ... interesting.  Lots of blank lines
    (fortunately for you that's only 1 byte each -- 0x0a).
    It's admittedly likely that this is being generated by
    an XSL formatter but considering that it's not using
    CSS2 (and doing such nonos as "style=" instead of
    CSS2 and "class=" attributes) I do have to wonder.
    The general style I don't mind too much -- but the
    implementation, while not nearly as bad as some Word-generated
    crap that I've had the displeasure of seeing, needs work.
[3] I have Nvu at home.  I'll have to see if I can get
    it to do something.
[4] "Tiger based"?

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
0
ewill5 (11075)
10/14/2005 6:00:04 PM
Ghost, thanks for the tips.

I don't think you understand the
ramifications of this.

It is not the web site, or the other stuff.
Heck, I would actually be happy if you
took it over.

Another distro?   Not so amazing.
Look deeper on the meaning of this.

I used the legal software to actually have an
insurance company threaten to get a
protection order if I kept propounding
discovery on them.  This is a rare event.

I don't know any Open Distro
that can withstand a legal onslaught,
from Microsoft, but me.  :)

This is about the right to use the name "Windows".
It can't be done in the law, but nobody can
withstand a legal fight.  Linspire tried, was winning
in the USA, and then the battle field changed, so
then had to fight in every other country until
it settled.

tab wrote:
> Ghost, thanks for the tips.
>
> I don't think you understand the
> ramifications of this.
>
> It is not the web site, or the other stuff.
> Heck, I would actually be happy if you
> took it over.
>
> Another distro?   Not so amazing.
> Look deeper on the meaning of this.
>
> I used the legal software to actually have an
> insurance company threaten to get a
> protection order if I kept propounding
> discovery on them.  This is a rare event.
>
> I don't know any Open Distro
> that can withstand a legal onslaught,
> from Microsoft, but me.  :)

Only in your fevered imagination.

> This is about the right to use the name "Windows".
> It can't be done in the law, but nobody can
> withstand a legal fight.  Linspire tried, was winning
> in the USA, and then the battle field changed, so
> then had to fight in every other country until
> it settled.

I don't care much for Microsoft, nor it's shite product,
but they do have the right to protect the name of
"Windows" when applied to operating system software, in
exactly the same way that Sun has the right to protect
the name "Solaris" or Novell with "Netware".  If I started
a distro called Open*RedHat, then, would I not
expect Red Hat to take me to court?  Of course I would.

When Lindows was forced to change to Linspire, you may
have noticed they got little sympathy from posters here,
and if you are genuine (and, you are not) then
Open*Windows would get even less sympathy.

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 09:53:54 +0100,
 MarkG <nobloodyspamthanks@goaway.com> wrote:
> tab wrote:
>> Ghost, thanks for the tips.
>>
>> I don't think you understand the
>> ramifications of this.
>>
>> It is not the web site, or the other stuff.
>> Heck, I would actually be happy if you
>> took it over.
>>
>> Another distro?   Not so amazing.
>> Look deeper on the meaning of this.
>>
>> I used the legal software to actually have an
>> insurance company threaten to get a
>> protection order if I kept propounding
>> discovery on them.  This is a rare event.
>>
>> I don't know any Open Distro
>> that can withstand a legal onslaught,
>> from Microsoft, but me.  :)
>
> Only in your fevered imagination.
>
>> This is about the right to use the name "Windows".
>> It can't be done in the law, but nobody can
>> withstand a legal fight.  Linspire tried, was winning
>> in the USA, and then the battle field changed, so
>> then had to fight in every other country until
>> it settled.
>
> I don't care much for Microsoft, nor it's shite product,
> but they do have the right to protect the name of
> "Windows" when applied to operating system software, in
> exactly the same way that Sun has the right to protect
> the name "Solaris" or Novell with "Netware".  If I started
> a distro called Open*RedHat, then, would I not
> expect Red Hat to take me to court?  Of course I would.

except that "windows" isn't a made up word, like solaris, or netware.
It's a common word, in everyday usage, including in the context of
computers.

"Open up another browser window, and ..."

> When Lindows was forced to change to Linspire, you may
> have noticed they got little sympathy from posters here,
> and if you are genuine (and, you are not) then
> Open*Windows would get even less sympathy.

Microsoft paid them $20 million or so, to change the name to something
other than Lindows. MS was afraid of losing all control to the name

Government is strange. If you could print all the money you wanted, and
steal all the money you wanted, couldn't you manage to stay out of debt?
0
warlock (9522)
10/16/2005 9:34:51 AM
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, tab
<trentallenblack@yahoo.com>
 wrote
on 15 Oct 2005 11:32:54 -0700
<1129401174.925615.76860@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>:
> Ghost, thanks for the tips.
>
> I don't think you understand the
> ramifications of this.
>
> It is not the web site, or the other stuff.
> Heck, I would actually be happy if you
> took it over.
>
> Another distro?   Not so amazing.
> Look deeper on the meaning of this.
>
> I used the legal software to actually have an
> insurance company threaten to get a
> protection order if I kept propounding
> discovery on them.  This is a rare event.
>
> I don't know any Open Distro
> that can withstand a legal onslaught,
> from Microsoft, but me.  :)
>
> This is about the right to use the name "Windows".
> It can't be done in the law, but nobody can
> withstand a legal fight.  Linspire tried, was winning
> in the USA, and then the battle field changed, so
> then had to fight in every other country until
> it settled.

Microsoft has already tried to trademark "Windows" (they've
already trademarked "Microsoft Windows", but that's fine).
They were slapped down, as I recall.

As for me taking over your website ... why would I want
to do that? :-) I've got my own website -- admittedly,
it's a vanity website and I really do need to update it
at some point, properly I might add.

As for the legal onslaught ... I for one couldn't say.

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
0
ewill5 (11075)
10/17/2005 3:00:04 PM
this has got to be the most ignorant group on the planet,
when leaving the os.

well, don't.  i don't care.

Wow.  the first nice thing anyone said.
you even get what i am doing.

yes, we use eclipse for coding, net beans for making screens.