LibreOffice : "Expert Configuration"... designed and executed by rank amateurs

LO 4.3.2.2  (for Windows 64-bit)
Build ID: edfb5295da211bd31ad49d0bad0118690f76408d  (heh!)

Access the 'Expert Configuration' via:
Tools | Options | LibreOffice | Advanced | Expert Configuration

It's a list of approx 15,000 (wtf?) system properties and configuration
options (called Preferences), but ...

* the list can't be searched, sorted or filtered by the user in any way.

* you can't copy the name of the config option

* the list includes thousands of 'void' entries that can't be edited at all.

* every entry name is prefaced with "/org.openoffice...."?   So Is this
LibreOffice, or is this OpenOffice?

* The 'Help' in every case I tried said:

"There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page
title in other pages, or search the related logs, but you do not have
permission to create this page."

Well, it's like the waddling Walrus 7 said: "The professional office
market is now closed to micoshaft with the release of super powerful
Open Office 2."

You know who's doomed...

0
DFS

DFS wrote:

> LO 4.3.2.2  (for Windows 64-bit)
> Build ID: edfb5295da211bd31ad49d0bad0118690f76408d  (heh!)
>
> Access the 'Expert Configuration' via:
> Tools | Options | LibreOffice | Advanced | Expert Configuration
>
> It's a list of approx 15,000 (wtf?) system properties and configuration
> options (called Preferences), but ...

In short: You think it is wise to talk down on an optional configuration
which does not even exists in your beloved MS Office

Idiot
0
Peter
10/11/2014 8:53:56 PM
On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 16:16:38 -0400, DFS wrote:

> LO 4.3.2.2  (for Windows 64-bit)
> Build ID: edfb5295da211bd31ad49d0bad0118690f76408d  (heh!)
>
> Access the 'Expert Configuration' via:
> Tools | Options | LibreOffice | Advanced | Expert Configuration
>
> It's a list of approx 15,000 (wtf?) system properties and configuration
> options (called Preferences), but ...
>
> * the list can't be searched, sorted or filtered by the user in any way.
>
> * you can't copy the name of the config option
>
> * the list includes thousands of 'void' entries that can't be edited at all.
>
> * every entry name is prefaced with "/org.openoffice...."?   So Is this
> LibreOffice, or is this OpenOffice?
>
> * The 'Help' in every case I tried said:
>
> "There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page
> title in other pages, or search the related logs, but you do not have
> permission to create this page."
>

> Well, it's like the waddling Walrus 7 said: "The professional office
> market is now closed to micoshaft with the release of super powerful
> Open Office 2."
>
> You know who's doomed...

Welcome to GNU/Linux/FOSS where "choice" trumps all forms of reason.

I seriously wonder who, if anyone, actually tests these
GNU/Linux/FOSS programs of if people just claim "works for me" like
they do in COLA.

It's laughable.

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
0
us
10/11/2014 9:01:04 PM
On 10/11/2014 4:53 PM, Peter K�hlmann wrote:
> DFS wrote:
>
>> LO 4.3.2.2  (for Windows 64-bit)
>> Build ID: edfb5295da211bd31ad49d0bad0118690f76408d  (heh!)
>>
>> Access the 'Expert Configuration' via:
>> Tools | Options | LibreOffice | Advanced | Expert Configuration
>>
>> It's a list of approx 15,000 (wtf?) system properties and configuration
>> options (called Preferences), but ...
>
> In short: You think it is wise to talk down on an optional configuration
> which does not even exists in your beloved MS Office
>
> Idiot

Fool.

It's unusable.  There are approx. 15,000 entries.  You can't search
them, sort them, or copy the setting name.  They're uncategorized, and
to top it all off, undocumented.

One of the short ones:

Preference:
/org.openoffice.Office.Views/Windows/org.openoffice.Office.Views:WindowType['10336']

Property: WindowState
Type:     void
Value:    (no entry, and can't be changed)

What am I supposed to do with it?  Why is it even in there?

But you are right about one thing: MS Office really falls short.  When I
install MS Office (2003) in English, I don't have hundreds of options I
can edit that apply to other languages I don't use and that aren't even
installed.

LO for the win!

0
DFS
10/11/2014 9:27:38 PM
Peter Köhlmann wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> DFS wrote:
>
>> LO 4.3.2.2  (for Windows 64-bit)
>> Build ID: edfb5295da211bd31ad49d0bad0118690f76408d  (heh!)
>>
>> Access the 'Expert Configuration' via:
>> Tools | Options | LibreOffice | Advanced | Expert Configuration
>>
>> It's a list of approx 15,000 (wtf?) system properties and configuration
>> options (called Preferences), but ...
>
> In short: You think it is wise to talk down on an optional configuration
> which does not even exists in your beloved MS Office
>
> Idiot

Well, MS *does* have a shit ton of confusing configuration options these
days.

As an aside, one of the guys at work who got a new computer also installed
the Office 2013 that came with it.

I said, "Cool.  Force everyone else in the company to upgrade, eh?"

--
			HOW TO PROVE IT, PART 2

proof by cumbersome notation:
	Best done with access to at least four alphabets and special
	symbols.

proof by exhaustion:
	An issue or two of a journal devoted to your proof is useful.

proof by omission:
	'The reader may easily supply the details'
	'The other 253 cases are analogous'
	'...'

0
Chris
10/11/2014 9:53:05 PM
On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 17:53:05 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Peter K�hlmann wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> DFS wrote:
>>
>>> LO 4.3.2.2  (for Windows 64-bit)
>>> Build ID: edfb5295da211bd31ad49d0bad0118690f76408d  (heh!)
>>>
>>> Access the 'Expert Configuration' via:
>>> Tools | Options | LibreOffice | Advanced | Expert Configuration
>>>
>>> It's a list of approx 15,000 (wtf?) system properties and configuration
>>> options (called Preferences), but ...
>>
>> In short: You think it is wise to talk down on an optional configuration
>> which does not even exists in your beloved MS Office
>>
>> Idiot
>
> Well, MS *does* have a shit ton of confusing configuration options these
> days.

Works for me.

> As an aside, one of the guys at work who got a new computer also installed
> the Office 2013 that came with it.

Why isn't he using LibreOffice?

And does your co-worker know that you convert Word documents so you
can work on them in LibreOffice and then convert them back again,
Chris Ahlstrom?

I'll bet your entire office knows what a fool you are.

> I said, "Cool.  Force everyone else in the company to upgrade, eh?"

I thought you were allowed to slick your work computer and install
Linux or whatever you want?

See that Chris Ahlstrom, I've caught you in yet another one of your
lies.

Why do you lie so much, Chris Ahlstrom?

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
0
us

"""""""""ADD ME""""""""""

DB design: storing "this" or "that" (..or "the other")?
[I realise that this isn't necessarily a question specific to MySQL, but it's the database system that I'm using..] I'm about to create a table to extend a database to allow users to store (via a webform) a particular preference choice setting in the database. At present, the options available to users will be that they can choose: * this xor * that (ie, only 1 of 2 possible values). But I suppose that at some point in the future, we might decide to let users choose 1 from an increased range of choices (1 from n). I was wondering what best practice thinking was on h...

"my" and "our"

"out" and "in out"

"/a" is not "/a" ?

"If then; if then;" and "If then; if;"

why "::", not "."

about "++" and "--"

"or" and "and"

[News] "Linux" or "GNU/Linux"?
The "GNU/Linux" and "Linux" Controversy ,----[ Quote ] | (Column) - This famous controversy is there ever since I became aware of | operating systems known as GNU/Linux. The GNU General Public License (GPL), | which is used by Linux as well as most GNU software, armors both | characters. `---- http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=&task=view&id=2242 Roy Schestowitz wrote: > http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=&task=view&id=2242 Well, i think, Linus Torvalds did another troll statement. -----BEGIN...

"Linux" vs "GNU/Linux"
Found this interesting transcript <http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2006/04/unabridged-selective-transcript-of.html> of a talk given by Richard Stallman while he was over in the West Island recently. Among other things, he explains why he wants people to use the term "GNU/Linux" instead of "Linux" when referring to the operating system: However after people started using essentially the GNU system with Linux added, and called it Linux, it no longer led then to the philosophy associated with GNU - the philosophy of free software. Instead o...

Web resources about - LibreOffice : "Expert Configuration"... designed and executed by rank amateurs - comp.os.linux.advocacy