Linux a waste of money says exec~1

Linux a 'waste of money', says top MS exec
The latest approach in a campaign of misinformation in Asia.
Geoffrey P. Ramos, Kieren McCarthy 25 May 2004

[...]

Chris Sharp, director for platform strategy for Microsoft in
Asia-Pacific, said governments that standardise on open-source software
are hurting their local software vendors as they can't make the money
needed to invest in their own software products.

Sharp, who used to work for Red Hat before joining Microsoft, said
building open-source software is a "waste of money" and that a company
was in effect giving away its intellectual property, preventing it from
getting future benefits.

"If you are compelled to give back to the community, then you don't have
the opportunity to benefit from that knowledge,"..

"They are not for the greater good of the community; they are also after
the money,"  [on Red Hat and IBM]

[...]

"With open source, there is no way to make more software."

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsid=1615
0
daeron2 (1670)

> "With open source, there is no way to make more software."

So all of you out there coding right now... STOP IT!!

--
Geoff Lane
Malim praedari -- Henry Beard
Geoff Lane wrote:

>> "With open source, there is no way to make more software."
>
> So all of you out there coding right now... STOP IT!!

Oh, the irony!!!

0
mlw (2191)
5/25/2004 7:35:34 PM
Daeron wrote:
> Linux a 'waste of money', says top MS exec
> The latest approach in a campaign of misinformation in Asia.
> Geoffrey P. Ramos, Kieren McCarthy 25 May 2004
>
> [...]
>
> Chris Sharp, director for platform strategy for Microsoft in
> Asia-Pacific, said governments that standardise on open-source software
> are hurting their local software vendors as they can't make the money
> needed to invest in their own software products.
>
> Sharp, who used to work for Red Hat before joining Microsoft,

(He'll have eternity in which to regret it.)

> said
> building open-source software is a "waste of money" and that a company
> was in effect giving away its intellectual property, preventing it from
> getting future benefits.

It's communistic and exploitative!

> "If you are compelled to give back to the community, then you don't have
> the opportunity to benefit from that knowledge,"..

(Same thing!)

> "They are not for the greater good of the community; they are also after
> the money,"  [on Red Hat and IBM]

It's just the opposite, capitalistic (but still exploitative)!

> [...]
>
> "With open source, there is no way to make more software."

It's fscking idiocy!

Daeron wrote:

> Linux a 'waste of money', says top MS exec
> The latest approach in a campaign of misinformation in Asia.
> Geoffrey P. Ramos, Kieren McCarthy 25 May 2004
>
> [...]
>
> Chris Sharp, director for platform strategy for Microsoft in
> Asia-Pacific, said governments that standardise on open-source software
> are hurting their local software vendors as they can't make the money
> needed to invest in their own software products.
>
> Sharp, who used to work for Red Hat before joining Microsoft, said
> building open-source software is a "waste of money" and that a company
> was in effect giving away its intellectual property, preventing it from
> getting future benefits.
>
> "If you are compelled to give back to the community, then you don't have
> the opportunity to benefit from that knowledge,"..
>
> "They are not for the greater good of the community; they are also after
> the money,"  [on Red Hat and IBM]
>
> [...]
>
> "With open source, there is no way to make more software."
>
> http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsid=1615

Well, no-one can accuse Sharp of not being a "team player" after this. Looks
like he's caught the Windows religion.

0
John

I have Linux! I have Linux!
Ok, after two days of trying to get Windos 1900 installed and working , I sat down an hour ago and installed Linux. In an hour. Smirk. Ok, I will be honest. I did have some problems, but I believe they were of my own ignorance. 0) I started with trying to install Suse. However, I couldn't get it to install. Why? Because I didn't read the menu. There is a startup menu and the first entry is boot to harddisk. I thought that was the thing to do so I did it about 4 times. Then I gave up. However, I went back to it and subsequently realized that I should have chosen the 2nd menu, "Install Linux". Duh. 1) Luckily I had the 3 Fedora RC disks. So, I installed that instead (there's a twist, see bottom). Installed quickly (and I mean QUICK -- I installed the Workstation Setup and it went faster than anything I've seen) and easily EXCEPT for DSL. I sort of it remember it asking questions about networking and DSL the last time I installed it on my personal machine, but this time it installed a driver for eth0 and that's it. Ok, so I went in and deleted eth0 and installed an xDSL entry ( using eth0 as the hardware ) and set up my earthlink settings. 2) Ok, so it hooked up quick. Which is a side story. This is an ASUS motherboard with modem, NIC, video, audio on the board. It comes with a CD full of windos drivers. When windos 1900 starts up, it does an autologic and plays the little Windos noise. Then the machine pauses for 1 to 2 m...

Why linux is linux

My Linux is not your Linux

Do Not Waste Your Money With Suse Linux 9.1. It stinks!
I make mistake of purchasing Suse 9.1 Linux in hope that it may replace my Windows XP software. I feel Suse is very misleading because much of my popular hardware does not function with this Linux product. My Matrox P650 graphics card will not work. My SATA does not work. MY RAID on Asus P4P800 do not work. My Brother printer/scanner/fax does not work. My modem does not work. My onboard NIC does not work. I call Suse help support line and I be told that I should wipe out Windows drive because this is causing my trouble. Who are they kidding? I ask people, do not support Suse because they stink. I have gone back to Windows because at least it works. I crosspost so that as many people as required can understand that Suse does not kneel behind there software. Please excuse my Englsih it is not my first language. Aftab In article <2d95b33c.0408031751.6508f4ed@posting.google.com>, singha1222 @yahoo.com says... > I make mistake of By not researching your system compatibility before choosing a new OS, by not getting a test hard drive to use for the initial install to see if your system will support a new OS, but thinking that you could come here and post a troll message about your failure to take basic precautions when installing anything new on your computer. You could have said the same thing if you were installing Windows NT 4 or moving from NT 4 to Windows XP or from Windows 98 to Windows 2003... If you are not smart enough to determine if your hardware is su...

Linux not really our competitor says Micros~1 exec
Microsoft executive on Linux, 64-bit computing Carol Sliwa and Craig Stedman May 18 2004 Q: How is Microsoft differentiating itself from the Linux competition? I don't really think that Linux itself is our competitor. I think Linux is a set of technologies ..They put them together, stacks with other software .. The cost of acquiring that is actually quite comparable to the cost of acquiring a Microsoft solution. We .. do a better job of providing an integrated experience for the customer relative to our competitors. ... Some of our competitors, IBM most notably, are predominantly a consulting company. And for them, complexity is a benefit, because it allows them to sell consulting services .. ... I think if you look at Linux and Linux stacks and the companies that are promoting those, they have a vested interest in selling consulting services. We don't. It's that simple .. ... There are users running Linux that don't rely on consulting services. There are workloads that are simple that can be deployed independently, ... we also do a better job of integrating. For example, our DNS server integrates with Active Directory. ... Application migration off of Unix is one where certainly Linux has some traction .. ... You've got an old printer .. the manufacturer stopped selling three years ago ..The manufacturer (has little incentive) to put out a driver for that printer. [Bob Muglia - Microsoft] http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php?id=606261041&...

Do Not Waste Your Money With Suse Linux 9.1. It stinks! #2
I make mistake of purchasing Suse 9.1 Linux in hope that it may replace my Windows XP software. I feel Suse is very misleading because much of my popular hardware does not function with this Linux product. My Matrox P650 graphics card will not work. My SATA does not work. MY RAID on Asus P4P800 do not work. My Brother printer/scanner/fax does not work. My modem does not work. My onboard NIC does not work. I call Suse help support line and I be told that I should wipe out Windows drive because this is causing my trouble. Who are they kidding? I ask people, do not support Suse because they stink. I have gone back to Windows because at least it works. I crosspost so that as many people as required can understand that Suse does not kneel behind there software. Please excuse my Englsih it is not my first language. Aftab Flatfish wrote: > I make mistake We know, Flatfish, because you posted two copies of the same, lame troll attempt. Don't you have anything original? Aftab Singh wrote: Now that I am discovered, I admit I am actually flat fish in disguise as an M$ astroturfer and I can tell the truth now because I'm really pissed off with M$ BSODs. I make no mistake of purchasing Suse 9.1 Linux in hope that it may replace my Windopes ex-pee software. I feel Suse is very leading because much of my popular hardware function with this Linux product. My Matrox P650 graphics card will works. My SATA does works. MY RAID on Asus P4P800 do works. My Brother printer/scann...

linux today
bawawawa!!!! linux. I hate it already!!!! http://fr.linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2010081101435OSMR The consistent failure of Linux to grab even 1% of the desktop OS market Aug 11, 2010 "Linux has been around for almost two decades now. It has become a resounding success as a server OS (for example as the L in the famous LAMP stack), and more recently as a mobile OS (Android). But what about on the desktop? "Linux enthusiasts have been predicting the rise of Linux as a desktop OS for the better part of a decade. To name just one of many examples, in 2003, Siemens Business Systems predicted that Linux would have captured 20% of the desktop market by 2008. "Well, it's now 2010, and desktop Linux isn't even close to 20%. Or one tenth of that." On 2010-10-10, One Shot, One-Kill <fredie@gmail.com> wrote: One snot, one shill wanks on about the shrinking "desktop market"... Who the fuck cares about "the desktop"? Oh, I know ....WINTROLLS... Is there even a desktop "market" any more? Linux is EVERYWHERE! It's on your router..it's in your TV it's on your phone... -- Regards, Gregory. Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power On 10 Oct 2010 05:36:07 GMT, Gregory Shearman <ZekeGregory@netscape.net> wrote: > One snot, one shill wanks on about the shrinking "desktop market"... > Who the fuck cares about "the desktop"? What a total joke he ...

Munich Mayor says Linux has reduced user complains, projects saved money, and more PCs got Linuxed
Munich Mayor says Linux has reduced user complains, projects saved money, and more PCs got Linuxed -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/enterprise/3348285/munich-mayor-says-switch-linux-saved-money-reduced-complaints/ Windopws is a support nightmare: "The maximum number of complaints was 70 per month before the beginning of the switch to LiMux. After the number of LiMux workplaces increased from 1,500 to 9,500, the maximum number of complaints per month dropped to 46. This leaves Ude to conclude that the decline in complaints was due to the migration to LiMux " The whole world knows this and Munich is restating the same thing in a different way. ...

[News] A Look at GNU/Linux Distributions Igelle 1.0.0, Zenwalk Linux, Salix OS, and GoblinX

Trouble Installing Linux/Cisco VPN Client Has anyone had trouble compiling the linux cisco vpn client? Here is the output of the install script: # uname -rviosm Linux 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl #1
Has anyone had trouble compiling the linux cisco vpn client? Here is the output of the install script: # uname -rviosm Linux 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl #1 Wed Apr 21 20:19:18 EDT 2004 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux ../vpn_install Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.0.3 (B) Linux Installer Copyright (C) 1998-2001 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved. By installing this product you agree that you have read the license.txt file (The VPN Client license) and will comply with its terms. Directory where binaries will be installed [/usr/local/bin] Automatically start the VPN service at boot time [yes] In order to build the VPN kernel module, you must have the kernel headers for the version of the kernel you are running. For RedHat 6.x users these files are installed in /usr/src/linux by default For RedHat 7.x users these files are installed in /usr/src/linux-2.4 by default For Suse 7.3 users these files are installed in /usr/src/linux-2.4.10.SuSE by de fault Directory containing linux kernel source code [/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2188.nptl/b uild] * Binaries will be installed in "/usr/local/bin". * Modules will be installed in "/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2188.nptl/CiscoVPN". * The VPN service will be started AUTOMATICALLY at boot time. * Kernel source from "/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2188.nptl/build" will be used to bui ld the module. Is the above correct [y] y Making module In file included from Cniapi.h:15, from linuxcniapi.c:24: GenDefs.h...

[News] 4 Linux Releases: Foresight Linux 1.1, Ubuntu CE 2.2, Kwort 2.2, Mandriva 2007.1 RC1
Foresight Linux 1.1 is out ! http://foresightlinux.com/downloads/ Kwort [Slackware derivative] 2.2 final released! ,----[ Quote ] | I'm proud to announce that Kwort 2.2 final version has been released | after a very long time (more than a year). The system is very stable | and very usable. `---- http://kwort.org/?page=NewsViewer&ID=45&PHPSESSID=1d286ac69fabebf18b4db27ded0b277d Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring RC1 (aka "Xianyang") ,----[ Quote ] | New since Mandriva Linux 2007: | | * Major desktop components | o KDE 3.5.6 | o GNOME 2.18 (RC: final release will include GNOME 2.18) | o OpenOffice.org 2.1 | o Mozilla Firefox 2.0 `---- http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandriva/2007.1/Development/RC1 ...

os.linux.advocacy
Dear Friend, I have found some great articles at: http://www.familyandtwist.com/ http:www.articlestwist.com/ http://www.downloadstwist.com/ http://www.wallpaperstwist.com/ Read them all. Thanks mahmar07@gmail.com came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard a moment ago in comp.os.linux.advocacy: > Dear Friend, > > I have found some great articles at: > <URLs snipped> > Read them all. > > Thanks Not without a summary, I ain't. -- Spanking brand new high end desktop computer: £1700 Spanking brand new colour laser printer/scanner/copier/fax: £600 Vista Ultimate: £369 The look on your face when nothing works: priceless Verily I say unto thee, that Jim spake thusly: > mahmar07@gmail.com came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard a > moment ago in comp.os.linux.advocacy: > >> Dear Friend, >> >> I have found some great articles at: >> > <URLs snipped> >> Read them all. >> >> Thanks > > Not without a summary, I ain't. It's worse than that, it's spam Jim, spam Jim, spam Jim. It's worse than that, it's spam Jim, spam Jim, spam. -- K. http://slated.org ..---- | "People are not happy in stinking hellholes of abject poverty, what | is true is that once you cross subsistence ... additional increases | in wealth have virtually no effect on well-being ... This is worth | knowing in case you have a choice between "X...

10 years of Linux, or how you can waste time slowly......(More proof that Linux is a freaking waste of time)
10 years of Linux, or how you can waste time slowly https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=81868&p=1 //QUOTE So, not that many of you would care, but this month I have a rather odd anniversary: it was 10 years ago that I laid eyes on my first Linux ditribution, and it was the thing that "started it all" for me. I was in the 9th grade, still using Windows, but I had access to a Redhat box, and I loved it. I remember playing Sokoban a lot on it, and I seem to remember Netscape. I also remember BitchX, but that was years after. Any man would consider this a happy occasion, but I do not. Why? Because apart from some stuff that you learn as you go on, stuff that you need to learn in order to maintain your system in working condition, apart from that I feel like I've learned nothing. It's not Linux's fault, but my own, simply because I've spent years making sure that my box looks " bitchin' ", and spent alot less time actually learning what I was supposed to in the first place. So, what do I have after 10 years? I suck at firewall-ing, I'm certaintly more pro-efficient with Ubuntu's Firestarter frontend, or even with ZoneAlarm on Windows, than I am with, let's say, PF. I'm ashamed to say that I've always chosen the easy path: no open ports on my main box, rather than learning how to configure a secure machine. I can make Gnome look 10 times better than Vista, but I don't ...

[News] Almost 1 in 10 in UK Magazine Poll Use GNU/Linux on Desktop, Linux Machines Come From NHS Linux Club

NTFS For Linux
Dumping all the windows corrosion from worldwide hardware will obviously require some access to NTFS, as just one example of required programming. This is going to be an interesting slaughter of the Redmond monster. On Fri, 4 May 2007 02:53:06 -0700, flyer <flyer@there.net> wrote: > >Dumping all the windows corrosion from worldwide hardware will obviously >require some access to NTFS, as just one example of required programming. > >This is going to be an interesting slaughter of the Redmond monster. You're fucked up man. Why in hells name would anybody want to ...

No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size being = too small on my 19 inch monitor. As Moi was saying... I tried two more additional downloads of elementary OS Linux. Both of them= likewise failed. While they could have been discriminating against Moi for his ZERO contribu= tion, I will be damned if I am going to PAY GOOD money for something when t= here is no guarantee that the stupid DOWNLOAD wont fail, JUST TO FIND OUT t= hat it WONT work at all on my computer hardware, let alone whether OR NOT i= t will actually do what is being claimed. Moi has NEVER experienced a download problem with Linux Mint. From what I have seen, elementary OS Linux is a scam, much like those Windo= ws come ons that claim that they can fix your computer problems merely by m= ucking with the Windows Registry. The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam that i= t is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where are the Linu= x police? On 7/8/2015 8:22 AM, John Gohde wrote: > No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size > being too small on my 19 inch monitor. I blame it on your small cerebrum. > The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam > that it is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where > are the Linux police? The Linux police are outside your door right now. I'm not kidding. Look out...

where shall i place a file like libeftapi.so.1.1.8 on LINUX OS?
I have here a file , i think a library to be used by a java demo program of a supplier providing serial interface api that will run on Linux. e.g. libeftapi.so.1.1.3 . Where shall I place this on Linux system??? what subdirectory? Or shall i place it in my JDK1.4\lib director(ies)? i have tried copying this file to different subdirectories in linux and in jdk/*/* .. but still arrive at the same RUN-TIME error... like this java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no eftapijava in java.library.path at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1491) at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.ja...

[News] Nokia Releases New GNU/Linux Operating System (Maemo 5 1.2009.44.1), Adds Linux to Ovi

Linux, linux, you mutter...
Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. That's what you advocates are. Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg -- Kent East Hill for Bush '04 Death to Kent West Hillians !!! DEATH TO KENT WEST HILL wrote: > > Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. > > That's what you advocates are. > > Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. > > LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: > > http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg > What is she? like 15? 16? Doesn't that make you a paedophile? -- Donovan Hill Linux User, Canadian.... All around nice guy! All email to the reply-to address above will automatically put your IP in a blocklist and qualify you for a free security audit. In comp.os.linux.advocacy, alt <spamtrap@lazyeyez.net> wrote on Wed, 19 May 2004 01:06:27 GMT <k6nqn1-f9h.ln1@hydrogen.lazyeyez.net>: > DEATH TO KENT WEST HILL wrote: > >> >> Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. >> >> That's what you advocates are. >> >> Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. >> >> LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: >> >> http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg >> > > What is she? like 15? 16? Doesn't that make you a paedophile? > Lust is not illegal, but acting inappropriately thereon is. :-)...

[News] Linux, Linux, Linux at Acer (Phones and Tablets)

[News] [Linux] Linux Has Advantage in the Mobile OS World
How Linux morphed from a server to a mobile OS ,----[ Quote ] | When evaluating Linux as a possible OS candidate, it is important to | remember that the Linux "model" for mobile devices is horizontal. That | is, Linux is not presented as a vertically integrated top to bottom | solution for a mobile device supplied by one vendor. | | It's a sharp contrast to the other OS suppliers such as Microsoft | with Windows Mobile, Symbian and PalmSource. These suppliers | support a highly integrated software stack, incorporating not | only an OS but also extensive middleware and application layer | pieces. Arguably the price for such integration is lack of | flexibility and loss of control. `---- http://www.wirelessnetdesignline.com/howto/broadband/199600344;jsessionid=N1IAB5VKZRD0QQSNDLRCKH0CJUNN2JVN http://tinyurl.com/2c3z7z Microsoft taps mobiles for developing world ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft is facing fierce competition from Linux, however, most | notably the One Laptop per Child project to ship low cost | notebooks to schools in developing nations. | | Linux vendor Red Hat unveiled a Global Desktop last week | targeting computers at small and medium sized businesses as | well as governments in third world nations. `---- http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2189936/microsoft-taps-mobile-tech Related: 70 percent of smartphones use Symbian ,----[ Quote ] | At 3GSM it became clear that 70 percent of all smartphones use Symbian. | | Linux accounts for 16.9 perc...

[News] Tips for Linux Advocacy (from Linux-hostile Site)

The non-Linux Linux
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd http://www.archhurd.org/ The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and stability, while remaining largely compatible with it. Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel? taka0038@gmail.com wrote: > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd > > http://www.archhurd.org/ > > The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and > stability, while remaining largely compatible with it. > > Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel? Yes. In a...

Web resources about - Linux a waste of money says exec~1 - comp.os.linux.advocacy