Linux advocacy in real life

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I feel good about myself, because with my fiddling around with GNU/Linux
(for the past decade) I am able to help novices.

I met my current lover on some drowsy Dutch Gay Dating site, which is
quite funny, because my lover is Belgian and to be honest I'm quite
"prudish" for Dutch GLBT standards.

The most weird thing is that my lover is at the age of 47 and still "in
the closet".

However it was clear to me that "Julian" (not his real name) is a geek
and mostly we share the same interests.

He followed a study and graduated last year as a "Computer Hardware
Technician" and this year he is doing "Network System Administrator". In
his current study he has to use Fedora, yet only the CLI environment
(Bash, yum etc.). He is not allowed to use GUI tools at all.

Isn't that funny? I'm having a Lover who adores me for being a
knowledgeable and seasoned "Linuxl00n"

GNU/Linux knowledge gives you all sorts of benefits :-p

--
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin, alias ML2MST
|_|_|0| Registered GNU/Linux user 513040
|0|0|0| http://www.soundclick.com/martivanlin

0
Reply Marti 11/21/2010 1:22:55 AM

See related articles to this posting

On 2010-11-21, Marti van Lin <ml2mst@dontevenbother.invalid> wrote:
> I feel good about myself, because with my fiddling around with GNU/Linux
> (for the past decade) I am able to help novices.
>
> I met my current lover on some drowsy Dutch Gay Dating site, which is
> quite funny, because my lover is Belgian and to be honest I'm quite
> "prudish" for Dutch GLBT standards.

Is he Flemish? My first wife was Flemish, but I won't hold that against
him... 8-)

> The most weird thing is that my lover is at the age of 47 and still "in
> the closet".

Belgium is almost all Catholic. I found the people very straight-laced.
It's probably not so unusual.

> However it was clear to me that "Julian" (not his real name) is a geek
> and mostly we share the same interests.
>
> He followed a study and graduated last year as a "Computer Hardware
> Technician" and this year he is doing "Network System Administrator". In
> his current study he has to use Fedora, yet only the CLI environment
> (Bash, yum etc.). He is not allowed to use GUI tools at all.

Yep.. it would be essential for a network systems admin to only use the
CLI to administer a network. There's usually no room for GUI overhead on
a server setup.

> Isn't that funny? I'm having a Lover who adores me for being a
> knowledgeable and seasoned "Linuxl00n"

Don't we all live in our mother's basement?

8-)

--
Regards,

Gregory.
Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power
0
Reply Gregory 11/21/2010 4:59:10 AM

On 21-11-10 05:59, Gregory Shearman wrote:

> On 2010-11-21, Marti van Lin<ml2mst@dontevenbother.invalid>  wrote:
>> I feel good about myself, because with my fiddling around with GNU/Linux
>> (for the past decade) I am able to help novices.
>>
>> I met my current lover on some drowsy Dutch Gay Dating site, which is
>> quite funny, because my lover is Belgian and to be honest I'm quite
>> "prudish" for Dutch GLBT standards.
>
> Is he Flemish? My first wife was Flemish, but I won't hold that against
> him... 8-)

Hold it against him? Why should I?

>> The most weird thing is that my lover is at the age of 47 and still "in
>> the closet".
>
> Belgium is almost all Catholic. I found the people very straight-laced.
> It's probably not so unusual.

Oh well he lives in the same province as I do, only he on the Belgian
side and I on the Dutch side of the border and we are Catholic too.

But like I said, if this works for him, then I respect that. If it ain't
broke, don't fix it ;-)

>> However it was clear to me that "Julian" (not his real name) is a geek
>> and mostly we share the same interests.
>>
>> He followed a study and graduated last year as a "Computer Hardware
>> Technician" and this year he is doing "Network System Administrator". In
>> his current study he has to use Fedora, yet only the CLI environment
>> (Bash, yum etc.). He is not allowed to use GUI tools at all.
>
> Yep.. it would be essential for a network systems admin to only use the
> CLI to administer a network. There's usually no room for GUI overhead on
> a server setup.
>
>> Isn't that funny? I'm having a Lover who adores me for being a
>> knowledgeable and seasoned "Linuxl00n"
>
> Don't we all live in our mother's basement?
>
> 8-)

Of course we all do. It's only that my mother passed away 15 years ago :-)

--
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin, alias ML2MST
|_|_|0| Registered GNU/Linux user 513040
|0|0|0| http://www.soundclick.com/martivanlin

0
Reply Marti 11/21/2010 9:44:41 AM

On 2010-11-21, the following emerged from the brain of Marti van Lin:
> On 21-11-10 05:59, Gregory Shearman wrote:
>
>> Belgium is almost all Catholic. I found the people very straight-laced.
>> It's probably not so unusual.

We're supposed to be catholic ;-) It's more folklore than anything
else. Not that there are no die-hard catholics anymore (unfortunately
there are), but it's more of an inheritage than real belief.

> Oh well he lives in the same province as I do, only he on the Belgian
> side and I on the Dutch side of the border and we are Catholic too.

I'm in that province as well ;-)

Perhaps we should meet up some day! As long as you don't try to hit on
me ;-)

> But like I said, if this works for him, then I respect that. If it ain't
> broke, don't fix it ;-)

I think it's a shame that someone has to stay 'in the closet'. Fsck
the small-minded masses I say.

>>> However it was clear to me that "Julian" (not his real name) is a geek
>>> and mostly we share the same interests.
>>>
>>> He followed a study and graduated last year as a "Computer Hardware
>>> Technician" and this year he is doing "Network System Administrator". In
>>> his current study he has to use Fedora, yet only the CLI environment
>>> (Bash, yum etc.). He is not allowed to use GUI tools at all.
>>
>> Yep.. it would be essential for a network systems admin to only use the
>> CLI to administer a network. There's usually no room for GUI overhead on
>> a server setup.

Fully seconded. A server admin should have a deep knowledge of the
console-based environment and be able to run a server headless from A
to Z.

--
Engineering: where the noble semi-skilled laborers execute the vision of those
who think and dream. Hello, Ooompa-Loompas of science.

On 2010-11-21, Marti van Lin <ml2mst@dontevenbother.invalid> wrote:
> On 21-11-10 05:59, Gregory Shearman wrote:
>
>> On 2010-11-21, Marti van Lin<ml2mst@dontevenbother.invalid>  wrote:
>>> I feel good about myself, because with my fiddling around with GNU/Linux
>>> (for the past decade) I am able to help novices.
>>>
>>> I met my current lover on some drowsy Dutch Gay Dating site, which is
>>> quite funny, because my lover is Belgian and to be honest I'm quite
>>> "prudish" for Dutch GLBT standards.
>>
>> Is he Flemish? My first wife was Flemish, but I won't hold that against
>> him... 8-)
>
> Hold it against him? Why should I?

Just a joke... I didn't get on with my first wife... 8-)

>>> The most weird thing is that my lover is at the age of 47 and still "in
>>> the closet".
>>
>> Belgium is almost all Catholic. I found the people very straight-laced.
>> It's probably not so unusual.
>
> Oh well he lives in the same province as I do, only he on the Belgian
> side and I on the Dutch side of the border and we are Catholic too.

I've been there and windsurfed on the North Sea coast, right on the
border.

>> Don't we all live in our mother's basement?
>>
>> 8-)
>>

> Of course we all do. It's only that my mother passed away 15 years ago :-)

My mum passed away 10 years ago. She didn't have a basement and I left
home when I was 17 years old.

--
Regards,

Gregory.
Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power
0
Reply Gregory 11/21/2010 10:09:37 AM

"Marti van Lin" <ml2mst@dontevenbother.invalid> wrote in message
> I feel good about myself, because with my fiddling around with GNU/Linux
> (for the past decade) I am able to help novices.

That's good, but read the 2007 FAQ & Primer.
https://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/43327f0c6ce4d84b?hl=nl&dmode=source&output=gplain

> I met my current lover on some drowsy Dutch Gay Dating site, which is
> quite funny, because my lover is Belgian and to be honest I'm quite
> "prudish" for Dutch GLBT standards.

I don't support your tendency to drag, your gay lifestyle into a Usenet NG.

> The most weird thing is that my lover is at the age of 47 and still "in
> the closet".

Maybe bad experiences with Roman Catholic priests marked him for life?

> However it was clear to me that "Julian" (not his real name) is a geek and
> mostly we share the same interests.
>
> He followed a study and graduated last year as a "Computer Hardware
> Technician" and this year he is doing "Network System Administrator". In
> his current study he has to use Fedora, yet only the CLI environment
> (Bash, yum etc.). He is not allowed to use GUI tools at all.

Click & run is so much easier, CLI environments are something of the past,
old school computing, that is!

> Isn't that funny? I'm having a Lover who adores me for being a
> knowledgeable and seasoned "Linuxl00n"

Being a "Linuxl00n" is not something to be proud of, son!

> GNU/Linux knowledge gives you all sorts of benefits :-p

Get your facts straight, Marti, GNU/Linux *SUCKS*
It sucks because it is free of cost. There can't be any free lunch in today's
world. I know what these free things are up to.
It sucks because there is no copyright infringement or any other limitation
on the use. Anybody and everybody can contribute in its development. It is
messy.
It sucks because nobody can claim the ownership on it-people just contribute
and develop. Who is the authority on it and who is liable? I don't like
software that are uncertain about who is handling them.
It sucks because it has the spirit of spreading computers to one and all.
What I would do if everybody knows computers and knows how to use it. It
will ruin my business and my panache in my small towns where I am the
celebrity and the-computer-guy.
It sucks because there are many distributions in it. People just don't stick
with one distro-I like to choose one thing and then stay with it.
It sucks because its release cycle is 6 months-I have to upgrade it time and
again. I hate these upgrades making me feel that I will be termed a retard
if I don't upgrade.
It sucks because people don't know what is the exact pronunciation of it? -
Linix, Lynex, Linax, or what. I mean it does not have a name that can be
uniform throughout the world. A name is a mark of functionality-people who
claim that it works so well and does not have any working problems are under
an illusion.
It sucks because there are communities and groups who help you if you face
problems. I don't like talking to humans. I love the computer sounds that
make you feel talking to aliens.
It sucks because it does not have any problem and is simple to use-how can a
system without problem exist? A problem-less system is not reliable.there
must be something fishy about it.
It sucks because everybody who uses it says: "I like it!" This is perhaps a
borrowed sentence. Nobody is giving genuine review of it. How could be a
system for fool-proof?

And the very best reason for it: open source. What does it mean? Is the
source open and very wide from where these developers are taking new
updates. Surely, one day they will term it as "empty source" or will have to
"re-source".

0
Reply Clogwog 11/21/2010 12:18:45 PM

Gregory Shearman pulled this Usenet face plant:

> On 2010-11-21, Marti van Lin <ml2mst@dontevenbother.invalid> wrote:
>> On 21-11-10 05:59, Gregory Shearman wrote:
>>
>>> Is he Flemish? My first wife was Flemish, but I won't hold that against
>>> him... 8-)
>>
>> Hold it against him? Why should I?
>
> Just a joke... I didn't get on with my first wife... 8-)

   "My wife and I were happy for 20 years!  And then we met."

>> Of course we all do. It's only that my mother passed away 15 years ago :-)
>
> My mum passed away 10 years ago. She didn't have a basement and I left
> home when I was 17 years old.

My mom is still around, bowling and golfing.  Sent us a newsclip
with her picture, for winning her group in golf.

--
The problem with graduate students, in general, is that they have
to sleep every few days.

Clogwog pulled this Usenet face plant:

> Click & run is so much easier, CLI environments are something of the past,
> old school computing, that is!
>
> Get your facts straight, Marti, GNU/Linux *SUCKS*
> It sucks because it is free of cost. There can't be any free lunch in today's
> world. I know what these free things are up to.
>
> It sucks because there is no copyright infringement or any other limitation
> on the use. Anybody and everybody can contribute in its development. It is
> messy.
>
> It sucks because nobody can claim the ownership on it-people just contribute
> and develop. Who is the authority on it and who is liable? I don't like
> software that are uncertain about who is handling them.
>
> It sucks because it has the spirit of spreading computers to one and all.
> What I would do if everybody knows computers and knows how to use it. It
> will ruin my business and my panache in my small towns where I am the
> celebrity and the-computer-guy.
>
> It sucks because there are many distributions in it. People just don't stick
> with one distro-I like to choose one thing and then stay with it.
>
> It sucks because its release cycle is 6 months-I have to upgrade it time and
> again. I hate these upgrades making me feel that I will be termed a retard
> if I don't upgrade.
>
> It sucks because people don't know what is the exact pronunciation of it? -
> Linix, Lynex, Linax, or what. I mean it does not have a name that can be
> uniform throughout the world. A name is a mark of functionality-people who
> claim that it works so well and does not have any working problems are under
> an illusion.
>
> It sucks because there are communities and groups who help you if you face
> problems. I don't like talking to humans. I love the computer sounds that
> make you feel talking to aliens.
>
> It sucks because it does not have any problem and is simple to use-how can a
> system without problem exist? A problem-less system is not reliable.there
> must be something fishy about it.
>
> It sucks because everybody who uses it says: "I like it!" This is perhaps a
> borrowed sentence. Nobody is giving genuine review of it. How could be a
> system for fool-proof?
>
> And the very best reason for it: open source. What does it mean? Is the
> source open and very wide from where these developers are taking new
> updates. Surely, one day they will term it as "empty source" or will have to
> "re-source".

Bizarre!

--
Little known fact about Middle Earth: The Hobbits had a very sophisticated
computer network!  It was a Tolkien Ring...

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> Clogwog pulled this:
>
>> Click & run is so much easier, CLI environments are something of the
>> past, old school computing, that is!
>>
>> Get your facts straight, Marti, GNU/Linux *SUCKS*

Snip rest of troll rant.

>> And the very best reason for it: open source. What does it mean? Is the
>> source open and very wide from where these developers are taking new
>> updates. Surely, one day they will term it as "empty source" or will
>> have to "re-source".

Troll gibberish.

> Bizarre!

Well designed application CLI interfaces work very well. An example is
data base input and display. Those worked very well with text based input.
Using a GUI gives no added advantage.

I know of medical input operators who decried the day their Unix system
was "upgraded" to a Windows system, which took more time to do input
because the mouse got in its way. It was a lot easier to use hot keys to
navigate and type input.

Also, the only way to fix a locked up or disfunctional Windows workstation
was to *REBOOT*. This was unnecessary with a Unix terminal, it worked day
in and day out WITHOUT *REBOOTING*.

Not everyone requires a GUI. Also, Sterling Ball put it:

[quote]
The other thing is that if you look at productivity. If you put a bunch of
stuff on people's desktops they don't need to do their job, chances are
they're going to use it. I don't have that problem. If all you need is
word processing, that's all you're going to have on your desktop, a word
processor. It's not going to have Paint or PowerPoint. I tell you what,
our hits to eBay went down greatly when not everybody had a Web browser.
For somebody whose job is filling out forms all day, invoicing and
exporting, why do they need a Web browser? The idea that if you have 2,000
terminals they all have to have a Web browser, that's crazy. It just
creates distractions.
[/quote]

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/2008-1082_3-5065859.html

Thus, Linux DOES NOT SUCK. Linux desktops in a medical data input
environment makes perfect sense communicating with a Unix or Linux server
data base.

We will see more quiet migrations as users give up the leaking sieve (with
viruses, root kits, privacy information loss, spam generators, etc.) call
Windows for much much more stable Linux.

--
HPT

0
Reply High 11/21/2010 1:34:54 PM

On 2010-11-21, the following emerged from the brain of Chris Ahlstrom:
> Clogwog pulled this Usenet face plant:
>
>> Click & run is so much easier, CLI environments are something of
>> the past, old school computing, that is!

Bollocks. The CLI has always been the preferred way of interacting
with a system for many IT professionals.

>> Get your facts straight, Marti, GNU/Linux *SUCKS* It sucks because
>> it is free of cost. There can't be any free lunch in today's world.
>> I know what these free things are up to.

People have always been donating their time and money to free
services. Some help out the local fire brigade, some help feed the
homeless, others write free software. While a lot of people indeed are
evil and greedy to the bone, there still are lots of good-natured
people around, taking pride in the free work and services they
provide.

>> It sucks because there is no copyright infringement or any other
>> limitation on the use. Anybody and everybody can contribute in its
>> development. It is messy.

Yes, free software can be messy, but it certainly isn't by definition.
There are a lot of well organized projects and an increasing amount of
generally accepted standards in the F/OSS world.

And things can get very messy in the greedy corporate world as well,
perhaps even more so.

>> It sucks because nobody can claim the ownership on it-people just
>> contribute and develop. Who is the authority on it and who is
>> liable? I don't like software that are uncertain about who is
>> handling them.

For the F/OSS ecosystem as a whole there's no authority, that's true.
For a lot of its components there is though. Linus Torvalds still
defines the direction of the Linux kernel. The Gnome team decides how
Gnome will evolve. Distributors decide what they package, how they
package it, and how they glue it all together.

>> It sucks because it has the spirit of spreading computers to one
>> and all.  What I would do if everybody knows computers and knows
>> how to use it. It will ruin my business and my panache in my small
>> towns where I am the celebrity and the-computer-guy.

If you want to stay on top of your game, you have to work for it. But
don't worry: while GNU/Linux indeed encourages the idea of learning
how your computer works, it is not a requirement. There will always be
pleny of people with no interest in how a computer works, ready to
worship you as 'the computer guy'.

>> It sucks because there are many distributions in it. People just
>> don't stick with one distro-I like to choose one thing and then
>> stay with it.

I chose Debian ages ago. If I can do this, so can you.

>> It sucks because its release cycle is 6 months-I have to upgrade it
>> time and again. I hate these upgrades making me feel that I will be
>> termed a retard if I don't upgrade.

GNU/Linux doesn't have a release cycle. The different distributions of
it do, though. And it certainly isn't '6 months' for all of them.
Debian for example releases 'when it's ready', while Gentoo never
'releases'.

>> It sucks because people don't know what is the exact pronunciation
>> of it? - Linix, Lynex, Linax, or what. I mean it does not have a
>> name that can be uniform throughout the world. A name is a mark of
>> functionality-people who claim that it works so well and does not
>> have any working problems are under an illusion.

Pronounce it however you like.

>> It sucks because there are communities and groups who help you if
>> you face problems. I don't like talking to humans. I love the
>> computer sounds that make you feel talking to aliens.

Now this is just odd.

>> It sucks because it does not have any problem and is simple to
>> use-how can a system without problem exist? A problem-less system
>> is not reliable.there must be something fishy about it.

While GNU/Linux is very stable, it doesn have the occasional problem.
Like any operating system out there.

You're right about it being easy to use.

>> It sucks because everybody who uses it says: "I like it!" This is
>> perhaps a borrowed sentence. Nobody is giving genuine review of it.
>> How could be a system for fool-proof?

GNU/Linux is being reviewed all the time. But I have no idea how you
see this a a criterion for quality.

>> And the very best reason for it: open source. What does it mean? Is
>> the source open and very wide from where these developers are
>> taking new updates. Surely, one day they will term it as "empty
>> source" or will have to "re-source".

Whatever you're on, I want some too!

> Bizarre!

That's the least you can say O_o

--
Respect the cock... and tame the cunt! Tame it!
	~ Frank T.J. Mackie

From: "High Plains Thumper" <highplainsthum...@invalid.invalid>
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Who's trolling here fsckwit?

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer Edition: 23 - 10/24/07
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 15:39:37 +0200

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+
+             C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer
+                  Edition: 23 - 10/24/07
+              Group: comp.os.linux.advocacy
+
+        Copyright (c) 2002-2006 Linux Reality Team
+
+ PLEASE VISIT OUR HALL OF LINUX IDIOTS:
+
+              http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
+
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

0
Reply Clogwog 11/21/2010 2:17:48 PM

On 21-11-10 15:09, TomB wrote:

> On 2010-11-21, the following emerged from the brain of Chris Ahlstrom:
>> Clogwog pulled this Usenet face plant:
>>
>>> Click&  run is so much easier, CLI environments are something of
>>> the past, old school computing, that is!
>
> Bollocks. The CLI has always been the preferred way of interacting
> with a system for many IT professionals.

Indeed I'm only a hobbyist, yet in my City known as "the" computerguy.
Some call me Bill Gates (yes I forgive them, they don't know any better) :-)

This is what I hated about Windows ME: if you wanted to boot WinME in
"dosmode" you had to boot the system from a floppy disk. With a few
modifications in MSDOS.SYS and a modified AUTOEXEC.BAT Batch-file and
eventually modified CONFIG.SYS.

(For the non MS-DOS "experienced" a Batch-file is the DOS (wannabe)
equivalent of a Shell-script).

That wasn't really a horror, yet booting from floppy-disk was quite slow.

>>> Get your facts straight, Marti, GNU/Linux *SUCKS* It sucks because
>>> it is free of cost. There can't be any free lunch in today's world.
>>> I know what these free things are up to.

I have my facts straight Hans. I don't need a clicketee click Bart Sh1t
interface to get my work done. A CLI is just fine and in many cases much
more efficient then a GUI. On the other hand the popular desktop
environments on GNU/Linux are much more advanced that Windows. It is
very easy to mimic the Windows (Aero), MacOS X (Aqua) and everything
else under Gnome, KDE, XFCE, Enlighment etc..

I'm not even going to respond on the rest of Clogwog's bogus arguments,
since they are just pathetic.

> [...]
> Like any operating system out there.
>
> You're right about it being easy to use.
>
>>> It sucks because everybody who uses it says: "I like it!" This is
>>> perhaps a borrowed sentence. Nobody is giving genuine review of it.
>>> How could be a system for fool-proof?
>
> GNU/Linux is being reviewed all the time. But I have no idea how you
> see this a a criterion for quality.
>
>>> And the very best reason for it: open source. What does it mean? Is
>>> the source open and very wide from where these developers are
>>> taking new updates. Surely, one day they will term it as "empty
>>> source" or will have to "re-source".
>
> Whatever you're on, I want some too!
>
>> Bizarre!
>
> That's the least you can say O_o

--
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin, alias ML2MST
|_|_|0| Registered GNU/Linux user 513040

Reply Marti 11/21/2010 10:30:32 PM

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> ToiletClog pulled this Usenet face plant:
>>
>> It sucks because
>
>Bizarre!

Indeed.  Obviously, nothing but a bunch of made-up non-reasons.  Why
would anyone bother?

0
Reply chrisv 11/22/2010 2:34:06 PM

On 21-11-10 10:56, TomB wrote:

> On 2010-11-21, the following emerged from the brain of Marti van Lin:
>> On 21-11-10 05:59, Gregory Shearman wrote:
>>
>>> Belgium is almost all Catholic. I found the people very straight-laced.
>>> It's probably not so unusual.
>
> We're supposed to be catholic ;-) It's more folklore than anything
> else. Not that there are no die-hard catholics anymore (unfortunately
> there are), but it's more of an inheritage than real belief.

It's exactly the same up here. The Carnival tradition is still very
strong in Maastricht but it has nothing in common with the Catholic Church.

>> Oh well he lives in the same province as I do, only he on the Belgian
>> side and I on the Dutch side of the border and we are Catholic too.
>
> I'm in that province as well ;-)

Yeah, I noticed when I watched the Hyves site of the fantastic band, you
formerly joined ;-)

> Perhaps we should meet up some day! As long as you don't try to hit on
> me ;-)

I never hit on anyone, that's the Dude's job, I follow :-p

>> But like I said, if this works for him, then I respect that. If it ain't
>> broke, don't fix it ;-)
>
> I think it's a shame that someone has to stay 'in the closet'. Fsck
> the small-minded masses I say.

Exactly my thought, yet for "Julian" it obviously doesn't work that way.

>>> Yep.. it would be essential for a network systems admin to only use the
>>> CLI to administer a network. There's usually no room for GUI overhead on
>>> a server setup.
>
> Fully seconded. A server admin should have a deep knowledge of the
> console-based environment and be able to run a server headless from A
> to Z.

Well fortunately I'm here to teach "Julian" all this stuff. And I'm 100%
convinced that he will make it.

If he only had a little more faith in himself...

Oh well, I'll *CHACKA* him :-)

--
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin, alias ML2MST
|_|_|0| Registered GNU/Linux user 513040
|0|0|0| http://www.soundclick.com/martivanlin

0
Reply Marti 11/25/2010 3:45:07 PM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 118210 articles. 12 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Real life Linux advocacy (from outside this newsgroup)
In the spirit of Doofus, I will post "real world" Linux advocacy. In order= to qualify, the post must be from another person other than the poster, fr= om another forum other than this one, from an actual Linux user, and, prefe= rably, from a non-Linux website, that is, the post about Linux must be 'off= -topic' to the website. The below post qualifies on all counts. With these criteria, you can be su= re the poster is not trying to proselytize, nor is Linux the 'main focus' o= f their post. And, as a Linux user, you can't say they are not part of Lin...

Real Linux advocacy
While COLA loons blabber on about filters, trolls, and and all kinds of off-topic Microsoft rants, in the *real* world there are still a few groups in my country who know how to advocate Linux. One of the members of CompUsers Linux told me that COLA is actually a real PITA for Linux advocacy. When people ask me how to get reliable information about Linux, I redirect them to the *real* Dutch advocates NOT to COLA nor Marti's (gays only) Linux Steunpunt Maastricht. http://linux.compusers.nl/ Platform Linux: "To *help* users to install and configure Linux, *especially* next to an ...

Some REAL Linux Advocacy
A few weeks back I decided to take the plunge and convert my workstation to linux. That was not a decision that was made lightly because the work I do requires me to use Microsoft products. There are no alternatives - the organisation's entire office runs on tightly integrated Microsoft software that extends well beyond simple office applications and into Microsoft back-ends and Microsoft middle-ware. The open source alternatives to MS software simply do not handle the compelexity of the documents, files and systems that I have to work with. Certainly there is no open source alternative t...

Real Linux advocacy #2
Just as a reminder to the loons what Linux advocacy really means, I love the look of this device and it's features and functions all powered by Linux. http://www.myjibo.com/ I'm seriously considering ordering one. On 08/20/2014 10:14 AM, Desk Rabbit wrote: > Just as a reminder to the loons what Linux advocacy really means, I love > the look of this device and it's features and functions all powered by > Linux. > > http://www.myjibo.com/ > > I'm seriously considering ordering one. Looks scary to me -- note cons expressed by these bro ...

Arm, Linux, Arm, Linux, Arm, Linux,,,life of a pure geek!
Arm, Linux, Arm, Linux, Arm, Linux,,,life of a pure geek! --------------------------------------------------------- Can't believe how busy its gotten lately. Its all just ARM, then Linux, then ARM again, then Linux again, then Opencores FPGA SoC with Linux, then Linux, then ARM, then Linux, then ARM, then Linux, all day, all night, and get paid for it too!! Ah the delights of pure geek life!! On 4/17/2012 7:10 PM, 7 wrote: > Arm, Linux, Arm, Linux, Arm, Linux,,,life of a pure geek! > --------------------------------------------------------- > > Can't believe how busy ...

comp.os.linux, comp.os.linux.redhat, comp.os.linux.advocacy, comp.os.linux.help
Ok, I just installed Linux. Here's the story, in the hope it will help others take the same step. I decided to install Linux for a simple reason - Windows died. I had been running Win95 on my 6 year old Pentium 166MMX. One day, it stopped booting up. The startup disk also wouldn't boot. Not even to DOS. It would get as far as "Checking DMZ data" (or something) and then the screen would go blank, as if the computer had switched itself off. Strangely enough, I *could* boot from my Linux installer CD's. However, RH8 refused to use the graphical installer, and Mandrake 8 sai...

comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.arch.storage,linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.hardware
I just tried to order a Dell Desktop System without Windows installed and asked if I could get Linux installed instead. After the guy on the other end of the phone stopped laughing, he asked me: So which one of the 500 plus versions of Linux did you have in mind? (I heard him laughing).... I mentioned Redhat Fedora and he burst out laughing. He told me Dell had tried to sell Linux on desktop systems in the past but the demand was so poor they had to stop. No surprise there. Linux sucks, even Dell knows it sucks and for sure their clients know that Linux sucks or else they would be demand...

Embedded Linux Vs. Real time Linux
Hi all, I have some newbie questions regarding embedded Linux targeted a real time application. We are on my job considering the use of Linux in the next generation of our product line. We are looking into either a ordinary Linux port (Montavista) or a Real Time port of Linux (Montavista or Wind River). My questions are: Will we still be able to write specific program code for some of the hardware interrupts which still operates completely independant of the linux kernel? For instance a DMA interrupt that needs real time handling will it be possible for this interrupt to immedi...

New to Linux? Here is the REAL TRUTH about Linux... The OFFICIAL FAQ.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ + + + C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer + + Edition: 14.079.0712P - 7/4/03 + + Group: comp.os.linux.advocacy + + + + Copyright (c) 2002-2003 Linux Reality Team + +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Welcome to comp.os.linux.advocacy, otherwise known as cola. This FAQ will try to address most ...

Linux and comp.os.linux.advocacy Newcomer FAQ.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ + + + C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer + + Edition: 11 - 1/19/07 + + Group: comp.os.linux.advocacy + + + + Copyright (c) 2002-2007 Linux Reality Team + +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Welcome to comp.os.linux.advocacy, otherwise known as cola. This FAQ will try to address most of the issues regarding ...

[News] Tips for Linux Advocacy (from Linux-hostile Site)

[News] Linspire: Real Linux to New Linux Users
Is Linspire Real Linux? ,----[ Verdict ] | Linspire/Freespire is real Linux, and if you are hoping to convert | someone loaning them a Linspire PC might be the way to do it. If you | are a regular Linux user, you don't need it, but it makes a great set | of training wheels. `---- http://www.linuxforums.org/reviews/is_linspire_real_linux.html Roy Schestowitz wrote: > Is Linspire Real Linux? > > ,----[ Verdict ] > | Linspire/Freespire is real Linux, and if you are hoping to convert > | someone loaning them a Linspire PC might be the way to do it. If you > | are a regula...

All Real Time Operating Systems ( linux Based ) Other than RT-linux
Hi all, I want to know, there are any REAL TIME OPERATING systems( RTOS) which should have total linux compatible other than RT- Linux. And are there any free Real time Operating systems ( Linux Based ) is available on the Internet. Please provide some information regarding this issue. mahi wrote: > Hi all, I want to know, there are any REAL TIME OPERATING > systems( RTOS) which should have total linux compatible other than RT- > Linux. > > And are there any free Real time Operating systems ( Linux Based ) is > available on the Internet. > > Please provide some in...

[News] [Linux] More Old Laptops Brought Back to Life with Linux
Resurrect an old laptop/notebook with wireless networking ,----[ Quote ] | Don't throw away that old laptop just because you can't tolerate | how slow Windows runs on it. In fact, you may find that older | notebooks without integrated network support (wireless or | otherwise) are still quite usable with an excellent operating | system alternative called, you guessed it, Linux. I've seen | old laptops used for everything from thin-client kiosks to | digital picture frames. `---- http://opensourcecorner.com/node/1062 Not looking good for Vista... http://www.studenthelpforum.co...

What Linux Advocacy Is All About !!
Here is a typical, well respected Linux advocate, advocating Linux. This is from Roy Schestowitz's site: http://techrights.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/irc-log-techrights-11022011.html gnufreex Fuck Microsoft Fuck Microsoft Fuck Microsoft Fuck Microsoft Fuck Microsoft Fuck Microsoft Fuck Microsoft Fuck Microsoft Fuck Microsoft Fuck Microsoft Fuck Microsoft Fuck Microsoft Fuck Microsoft Fuck Microsoft Fuck Microsoft Fuck Microsoft Fuck Microsoft Fuck Microsoft Fuck Microsoft Fuck Microsoft Fuck Microsoft Fuck Microsoft Fuck Microsoft Feb 11 09:28 flatfish+++ wrote: &...

Linux Advocacy
I'm not known in cola as a Linux Advocate, but at this time, I'd like to state publicly some things that Microsoft has done lately that have pissed me off. I had a perfectly good way of entering my password at logon by cuting & pasting it from the screen with the mouse. To me anyway, this seemed more secure than allowing some key logger or other spyware to have easy access to the logon password. It also allowed much more elaborate passwords. 1. Microsoft in it's infinite Wisdom has Removed the ability to do this in the latest SP for W2K, the "feature" Microsoft ha...

Linux is my life.
I love Linux and have dedicated my time toward advocating it. Can anyone point me toward a user group in Nome Alaska? If there is none I would like to start one. Who can I contact for information? Thank you. On Thu, 24 May 2012 20:40:59 -0400, Linux wrote: > User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:12.0) Gecko/20120428 > Thunderbird/12.0.1 troll alert On Fri, 25 May 2012 02:17:32 +0000 (UTC), Max Wachtel wrote: > On Thu, 24 May 2012 20:40:59 -0400, Linux wrote: > >> User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:12.0) Gecko/20120428 >>...

The Definitive Guide To Linux Freaks in comp.os.linux.advocacy!
There are some normal and honest linux users in the world. Otherwise linux would never have achived the 1.0% marketshare that it has. Unfortunately for linux for every honest user out there we have an idiotic nutjob out on the loose who's purpose in life is to out-dumb the other dimwit. These are the worst offenders and the dumbest of the dumb. Beware when reading anything these loons have to say. Keep this blog as a reference when reading their crazy rants and you will see just how out of touch with reality a true linux zealot is. The "ml2mst" Marti T. van Lin idiot Mart...

How-To...Linux Advocacy...
This is a new How-To WRT Linux advocacy. 1. Never admit Linux's faults. Learn to LIE for LIEnux. If you can't come up with a good lie, then ignore the post and don't refute it. 2. Blame the user. 3. Blame hardware. Ignore replies where the person claims the same hardware works fine with Windows. 4. Blame Microsoft. Everyone hates Microsoft so this is usually a good tactic. 5. Pull the distribution dance. If the person has problems with Mandriva (and who hasn't?) suggest Ubuntu etc.... You have 500+ different excuses so you can really run the table with this one. Keep the o...

[News] After Life with Linux, Life with Windows Vista Gets Hard
Windows Vista VS Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Windows kind of has the add/remove software option in the control panel. But | calling this package management would be like calling telnet an ssh client. | | [...] | | In general, I miss Linux. I want my options, I want my tools (Konsole! | Where’s my Konsole!), I want my security and I want my stability. There were | some things that just took getting used to, but there are more things that I | would always long for. `---- http://blog.indigio.com/index.php/2007/11/30/windows-vista-vs-linux/ Related: Windows Vista, The best thing that e...

Real advocacy
When was the last time there was real Amiga advocacy going on in this group? I honestly can't remember... "RaYzor" <no@no.no.net.org.tv.com.edu.welf> wrote: > 222 344310 <npvPc.84620$yd5.21470@twister.nyroc.rr.com> > "tpalfrey" <tpalfrey@zool.com> wrote in message > news:S2.N2.ZW2T9NKVBOdPZ0f.NR@zool.com... > > "chexxon" writes: > > I'm going to buy an AOne. > > I think it rocks. > A PATHETICALLY OUTDATED MOTHERBOARD WITH A PATHETICALLY OUTDATED SYSTEM AND > MEMORY BUS AND NOT SO GREAT CPU WITH A...

Linux Advocacy?
I've never been to this newsgroup before, I'm glad to see it's relatively active considering whats happening in some other groups. But I must say I'm floored by what I'm reading here. I thought this was about Linux. I expected tips, discussion of issues etc. Seems however this group is all about Microsoft. Seems there's an obsession here, Damn. Kind of wild to read. vv On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 23:12:50 -0500, epson wrote: > I've never been to this newsgroup before, I'm glad to see it's relatively > active considering whats happening in some other...

What is real Linux?

Linux Brochure Project (LBP)--Linux Advocacy & Publicity
Your organization may be interested in the Linux Brochure Project hosted on SourceForge. This project was developed because the Victoria Linux User Group (VLUG) wanted to produce their brochure using open source tools rather than proprietary ones. We registered it at SourceForge so that any Linux LUG and other advocacy groups could use the software to produce their own brochure. This project has been written up by LWN (http://lwn.net/Articles/51938/). See below for project details. Barbara Irwin Publicity Coordinator, VLUG ------------------------------------------------------...