Linux advocacy in real life

I feel good about myself, because with my fiddling around with GNU/Linux 
(for the past decade) I am able to help novices.

I met my current lover on some drowsy Dutch Gay Dating site, which is 
quite funny, because my lover is Belgian and to be honest I'm quite 
"prudish" for Dutch GLBT standards.

The most weird thing is that my lover is at the age of 47 and still "in 
the closet".

However it was clear to me that "Julian" (not his real name) is a geek 
and mostly we share the same interests.

He followed a study and graduated last year as a "Computer Hardware 
Technician" and this year he is doing "Network System Administrator". In 
his current study he has to use Fedora, yet only the CLI environment 
(Bash, yum etc.). He is not allowed to use GUI tools at all.

Isn't that funny? I'm having a Lover who adores me for being a 
knowledgeable and seasoned "Linuxl00n"

GNU/Linux knowledge gives you all sorts of benefits :-p

-- 
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin, alias ML2MST
|_|_|0| Registered GNU/Linux user 513040
|0|0|0| http://www.soundclick.com/martivanlin

0
Marti
11/21/2010 1:22:55 AM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 120664 articles. 14 followers. Post Follow

13 Replies
235 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 42
On 2010-11-21, Marti van Lin <ml2mst@dontevenbother.invalid> wrote:
> I feel good about myself, because with my fiddling around with GNU/Linux 
> (for the past decade) I am able to help novices.
>
> I met my current lover on some drowsy Dutch Gay Dating site, which is 
> quite funny, because my lover is Belgian and to be honest I'm quite 
> "prudish" for Dutch GLBT standards.

Is he Flemish? My first wife was Flemish, but I won't hold that against
him... 8-)

> The most weird thing is that my lover is at the age of 47 and still "in 
> the closet".

Belgium is almost all Catholic. I found the people very straight-laced.
It's probably not so unusual.

> However it was clear to me that "Julian" (not his real name) is a geek 
> and mostly we share the same interests.
>
> He followed a study and graduated last year as a "Computer Hardware 
> Technician" and this year he is doing "Network System Administrator". In 
> his current study he has to use Fedora, yet only the CLI environment 
> (Bash, yum etc.). He is not allowed to use GUI tools at all.

Yep.. it would be essential for a network systems admin to only use the
CLI to administer a network. There's usually no room for GUI overhead on
a server setup.

> Isn't that funny? I'm having a Lover who adores me for being a 
> knowledgeable and seasoned "Linuxl00n"

Don't we all live in our mother's basement?

8-)

-- 
Regards,

Gregory.
Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power
0
Gregory
11/21/2010 4:59:10 AM
On 21-11-10 05:59, Gregory Shearman wrote:

> On 2010-11-21, Marti van Lin<ml2mst@dontevenbother.invalid>  wrote:
>> I feel good about myself, because with my fiddling around with GNU/Linux
>> (for the past decade) I am able to help novices.
>>
>> I met my current lover on some drowsy Dutch Gay Dating site, which is
>> quite funny, because my lover is Belgian and to be honest I'm quite
>> "prudish" for Dutch GLBT standards.
>
> Is he Flemish? My first wife was Flemish, but I won't hold that against
> him... 8-)

Hold it against him? Why should I?

>> The most weird thing is that my lover is at the age of 47 and still "in
>> the closet".
>
> Belgium is almost all Catholic. I found the people very straight-laced.
> It's probably not so unusual.

Oh well he lives in the same province as I do, only he on the Belgian 
side and I on the Dutch side of the border and we are Catholic too.

But like I said, if this works for him, then I respect that. If it ain't 
broke, don't fix it ;-)

>> However it was clear to me that "Julian" (not his real name) is a geek
>> and mostly we share the same interests.
>>
>> He followed a study and graduated last year as a "Computer Hardware
>> Technician" and this year he is doing "Network System Administrator". In
>> his current study he has to use Fedora, yet only the CLI environment
>> (Bash, yum etc.). He is not allowed to use GUI tools at all.
>
> Yep.. it would be essential for a network systems admin to only use the
> CLI to administer a network. There's usually no room for GUI overhead on
> a server setup.
>
>> Isn't that funny? I'm having a Lover who adores me for being a
>> knowledgeable and seasoned "Linuxl00n"
>
> Don't we all live in our mother's basement?
>
> 8-)
>

Of course we all do. It's only that my mother passed away 15 years ago :-)

-- 
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin, alias ML2MST
|_|_|0| Registered GNU/Linux user 513040
|0|0|0| http://www.soundclick.com/martivanlin

0
Marti
11/21/2010 9:44:41 AM
On 2010-11-21, the following emerged from the brain of Marti van Lin:
> On 21-11-10 05:59, Gregory Shearman wrote:
>
>> Belgium is almost all Catholic. I found the people very straight-laced.
>> It's probably not so unusual.

We're supposed to be catholic ;-) It's more folklore than anything
else. Not that there are no die-hard catholics anymore (unfortunately
there are), but it's more of an inheritage than real belief.

> Oh well he lives in the same province as I do, only he on the Belgian 
> side and I on the Dutch side of the border and we are Catholic too.

I'm in that province as well ;-)

Perhaps we should meet up some day! As long as you don't try to hit on
me ;-)

> But like I said, if this works for him, then I respect that. If it ain't 
> broke, don't fix it ;-)

I think it's a shame that someone has to stay 'in the closet'. Fsck
the small-minded masses I say.

>>> However it was clear to me that "Julian" (not his real name) is a geek
>>> and mostly we share the same interests.
>>>
>>> He followed a study and graduated last year as a "Computer Hardware
>>> Technician" and this year he is doing "Network System Administrator". In
>>> his current study he has to use Fedora, yet only the CLI environment
>>> (Bash, yum etc.). He is not allowed to use GUI tools at all.
>>
>> Yep.. it would be essential for a network systems admin to only use the
>> CLI to administer a network. There's usually no room for GUI overhead on
>> a server setup.

Fully seconded. A server admin should have a deep knowledge of the
console-based environment and be able to run a server headless from A
to Z.

-- 
Engineering: where the noble semi-skilled laborers execute the vision of those
who think and dream. Hello, Ooompa-Loompas of science.
	~ Sheldon Cooper
0
TomB
11/21/2010 9:56:55 AM
On 2010-11-21, Marti van Lin <ml2mst@dontevenbother.invalid> wrote:
> On 21-11-10 05:59, Gregory Shearman wrote:
>
>> On 2010-11-21, Marti van Lin<ml2mst@dontevenbother.invalid>  wrote:
>>> I feel good about myself, because with my fiddling around with GNU/Linux
>>> (for the past decade) I am able to help novices.
>>>
>>> I met my current lover on some drowsy Dutch Gay Dating site, which is
>>> quite funny, because my lover is Belgian and to be honest I'm quite
>>> "prudish" for Dutch GLBT standards.
>>
>> Is he Flemish? My first wife was Flemish, but I won't hold that against
>> him... 8-)
>
> Hold it against him? Why should I?

Just a joke... I didn't get on with my first wife... 8-)

>>> The most weird thing is that my lover is at the age of 47 and still "in
>>> the closet".
>>
>> Belgium is almost all Catholic. I found the people very straight-laced.
>> It's probably not so unusual.
>
> Oh well he lives in the same province as I do, only he on the Belgian 
> side and I on the Dutch side of the border and we are Catholic too.

I've been there and windsurfed on the North Sea coast, right on the
border.

>> Don't we all live in our mother's basement?
>>
>> 8-)
>>
>
> Of course we all do. It's only that my mother passed away 15 years ago :-)

My mum passed away 10 years ago. She didn't have a basement and I left
home when I was 17 years old.

-- 
Regards,

Gregory.
Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power
0
Gregory
11/21/2010 10:09:37 AM
"Marti van Lin" <ml2mst@dontevenbother.invalid> wrote in message 
news:ic9s9f$7p6$1@news.albasani.net...
> I feel good about myself, because with my fiddling around with GNU/Linux 
> (for the past decade) I am able to help novices.

That's good, but read the 2007 FAQ & Primer.
https://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/43327f0c6ce4d84b?hl=nl&dmode=source&output=gplain
>
> I met my current lover on some drowsy Dutch Gay Dating site, which is 
> quite funny, because my lover is Belgian and to be honest I'm quite 
> "prudish" for Dutch GLBT standards.

I don't support your tendency to drag, your gay lifestyle into a Usenet NG.
>
> The most weird thing is that my lover is at the age of 47 and still "in 
> the closet".

Maybe bad experiences with Roman Catholic priests marked him for life?
>
> However it was clear to me that "Julian" (not his real name) is a geek and 
> mostly we share the same interests.
>
> He followed a study and graduated last year as a "Computer Hardware 
> Technician" and this year he is doing "Network System Administrator". In 
> his current study he has to use Fedora, yet only the CLI environment 
> (Bash, yum etc.). He is not allowed to use GUI tools at all.

Click & run is so much easier, CLI environments are something of the past, 
old school computing, that is!

>
> Isn't that funny? I'm having a Lover who adores me for being a 
> knowledgeable and seasoned "Linuxl00n"

Being a "Linuxl00n" is not something to be proud of, son!
>
> GNU/Linux knowledge gives you all sorts of benefits :-p
>
Get your facts straight, Marti, GNU/Linux *SUCKS*
It sucks because it is free of cost. There can't be any free lunch in today's 
world. I know what these free things are up to.
It sucks because there is no copyright infringement or any other limitation 
on the use. Anybody and everybody can contribute in its development. It is 
messy.
It sucks because nobody can claim the ownership on it-people just contribute 
and develop. Who is the authority on it and who is liable? I don't like 
software that are uncertain about who is handling them.
It sucks because it has the spirit of spreading computers to one and all. 
What I would do if everybody knows computers and knows how to use it. It 
will ruin my business and my panache in my small towns where I am the 
celebrity and the-computer-guy.
It sucks because there are many distributions in it. People just don't stick 
with one distro-I like to choose one thing and then stay with it.
It sucks because its release cycle is 6 months-I have to upgrade it time and 
again. I hate these upgrades making me feel that I will be termed a retard 
if I don't upgrade.
It sucks because people don't know what is the exact pronunciation of it? - 
Linix, Lynex, Linax, or what. I mean it does not have a name that can be 
uniform throughout the world. A name is a mark of functionality-people who 
claim that it works so well and does not have any working problems are under 
an illusion.
It sucks because there are communities and groups who help you if you face 
problems. I don't like talking to humans. I love the computer sounds that 
make you feel talking to aliens.
It sucks because it does not have any problem and is simple to use-how can a 
system without problem exist? A problem-less system is not reliable.there 
must be something fishy about it.
It sucks because everybody who uses it says: "I like it!" This is perhaps a 
borrowed sentence. Nobody is giving genuine review of it. How could be a 
system for fool-proof?

And the very best reason for it: open source. What does it mean? Is the 
source open and very wide from where these developers are taking new 
updates. Surely, one day they will term it as "empty source" or will have to 
"re-source". 

0
Clogwog
11/21/2010 12:18:45 PM
Gregory Shearman pulled this Usenet face plant:

> On 2010-11-21, Marti van Lin <ml2mst@dontevenbother.invalid> wrote:
>> On 21-11-10 05:59, Gregory Shearman wrote:
>>
>>> Is he Flemish? My first wife was Flemish, but I won't hold that against
>>> him... 8-)
>>
>> Hold it against him? Why should I?
>
> Just a joke... I didn't get on with my first wife... 8-)

   "My wife and I were happy for 20 years!  And then we met."

>> Of course we all do. It's only that my mother passed away 15 years ago :-)
>
> My mum passed away 10 years ago. She didn't have a basement and I left
> home when I was 17 years old.

My mom is still around, bowling and golfing.  Sent us a newsclip
with her picture, for winning her group in golf.

-- 
The problem with graduate students, in general, is that they have
to sleep every few days.
0
Chris
11/21/2010 1:15:41 PM
Clogwog pulled this Usenet face plant:

> Click & run is so much easier, CLI environments are something of the past, 
> old school computing, that is!
>
> Get your facts straight, Marti, GNU/Linux *SUCKS*
> It sucks because it is free of cost. There can't be any free lunch in today's 
> world. I know what these free things are up to.
>
> It sucks because there is no copyright infringement or any other limitation 
> on the use. Anybody and everybody can contribute in its development. It is 
> messy.
>
> It sucks because nobody can claim the ownership on it-people just contribute 
> and develop. Who is the authority on it and who is liable? I don't like 
> software that are uncertain about who is handling them.
>
> It sucks because it has the spirit of spreading computers to one and all. 
> What I would do if everybody knows computers and knows how to use it. It 
> will ruin my business and my panache in my small towns where I am the 
> celebrity and the-computer-guy.
>
> It sucks because there are many distributions in it. People just don't stick 
> with one distro-I like to choose one thing and then stay with it.
>
> It sucks because its release cycle is 6 months-I have to upgrade it time and 
> again. I hate these upgrades making me feel that I will be termed a retard 
> if I don't upgrade.
>
> It sucks because people don't know what is the exact pronunciation of it? - 
> Linix, Lynex, Linax, or what. I mean it does not have a name that can be 
> uniform throughout the world. A name is a mark of functionality-people who 
> claim that it works so well and does not have any working problems are under 
> an illusion.
>
> It sucks because there are communities and groups who help you if you face 
> problems. I don't like talking to humans. I love the computer sounds that 
> make you feel talking to aliens.
>
> It sucks because it does not have any problem and is simple to use-how can a 
> system without problem exist? A problem-less system is not reliable.there 
> must be something fishy about it.
>
> It sucks because everybody who uses it says: "I like it!" This is perhaps a 
> borrowed sentence. Nobody is giving genuine review of it. How could be a 
> system for fool-proof?
>
> And the very best reason for it: open source. What does it mean? Is the 
> source open and very wide from where these developers are taking new 
> updates. Surely, one day they will term it as "empty source" or will have to 
> "re-source". 

Bizarre!

-- 
Little known fact about Middle Earth: The Hobbits had a very sophisticated
computer network!  It was a Tolkien Ring...
0
Chris
11/21/2010 1:17:40 PM
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> Clogwog pulled this:
> 
>> Click & run is so much easier, CLI environments are something of the
>> past, old school computing, that is!
>>
>> Get your facts straight, Marti, GNU/Linux *SUCKS*

Snip rest of troll rant.

>> And the very best reason for it: open source. What does it mean? Is the
>> source open and very wide from where these developers are taking new
>> updates. Surely, one day they will term it as "empty source" or will
>> have to "re-source".

Troll gibberish.

> Bizarre!

Well designed application CLI interfaces work very well. An example is
data base input and display. Those worked very well with text based input.
Using a GUI gives no added advantage.

I know of medical input operators who decried the day their Unix system
was "upgraded" to a Windows system, which took more time to do input
because the mouse got in its way. It was a lot easier to use hot keys to
navigate and type input.

Also, the only way to fix a locked up or disfunctional Windows workstation
was to *REBOOT*. This was unnecessary with a Unix terminal, it worked day
in and day out WITHOUT *REBOOTING*.

Not everyone requires a GUI. Also, Sterling Ball put it:

[quote]
The other thing is that if you look at productivity. If you put a bunch of
stuff on people's desktops they don't need to do their job, chances are
they're going to use it. I don't have that problem. If all you need is
word processing, that's all you're going to have on your desktop, a word
processor. It's not going to have Paint or PowerPoint. I tell you what,
our hits to eBay went down greatly when not everybody had a Web browser.
For somebody whose job is filling out forms all day, invoicing and
exporting, why do they need a Web browser? The idea that if you have 2,000
terminals they all have to have a Web browser, that's crazy. It just
creates distractions.
[/quote]

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/2008-1082_3-5065859.html

Thus, Linux DOES NOT SUCK. Linux desktops in a medical data input
environment makes perfect sense communicating with a Unix or Linux server
data base.

We will see more quiet migrations as users give up the leaking sieve (with
viruses, root kits, privacy information loss, spam generators, etc.) call
Windows for much much more stable Linux.

-- 
HPT

0
High
11/21/2010 1:34:54 PM
On 2010-11-21, the following emerged from the brain of Chris Ahlstrom:
> Clogwog pulled this Usenet face plant:
>
>> Click & run is so much easier, CLI environments are something of
>> the past, old school computing, that is!

Bollocks. The CLI has always been the preferred way of interacting
with a system for many IT professionals.

>> Get your facts straight, Marti, GNU/Linux *SUCKS* It sucks because
>> it is free of cost. There can't be any free lunch in today's world.
>> I know what these free things are up to.

People have always been donating their time and money to free
services. Some help out the local fire brigade, some help feed the
homeless, others write free software. While a lot of people indeed are
evil and greedy to the bone, there still are lots of good-natured
people around, taking pride in the free work and services they
provide.

>> It sucks because there is no copyright infringement or any other
>> limitation on the use. Anybody and everybody can contribute in its
>> development. It is messy.

Yes, free software can be messy, but it certainly isn't by definition.
There are a lot of well organized projects and an increasing amount of
generally accepted standards in the F/OSS world.

And things can get very messy in the greedy corporate world as well,
perhaps even more so.

>> It sucks because nobody can claim the ownership on it-people just
>> contribute and develop. Who is the authority on it and who is
>> liable? I don't like software that are uncertain about who is
>> handling them.

For the F/OSS ecosystem as a whole there's no authority, that's true.
For a lot of its components there is though. Linus Torvalds still
defines the direction of the Linux kernel. The Gnome team decides how
Gnome will evolve. Distributors decide what they package, how they
package it, and how they glue it all together.

>> It sucks because it has the spirit of spreading computers to one
>> and all.  What I would do if everybody knows computers and knows
>> how to use it. It will ruin my business and my panache in my small
>> towns where I am the celebrity and the-computer-guy.

If you want to stay on top of your game, you have to work for it. But
don't worry: while GNU/Linux indeed encourages the idea of learning
how your computer works, it is not a requirement. There will always be
pleny of people with no interest in how a computer works, ready to
worship you as 'the computer guy'.

>> It sucks because there are many distributions in it. People just
>> don't stick with one distro-I like to choose one thing and then
>> stay with it.

I chose Debian ages ago. If I can do this, so can you.

>> It sucks because its release cycle is 6 months-I have to upgrade it
>> time and again. I hate these upgrades making me feel that I will be
>> termed a retard if I don't upgrade.

GNU/Linux doesn't have a release cycle. The different distributions of
it do, though. And it certainly isn't '6 months' for all of them.
Debian for example releases 'when it's ready', while Gentoo never
'releases'.

>> It sucks because people don't know what is the exact pronunciation
>> of it? - Linix, Lynex, Linax, or what. I mean it does not have a
>> name that can be uniform throughout the world. A name is a mark of
>> functionality-people who claim that it works so well and does not
>> have any working problems are under an illusion.

Pronounce it however you like.

>> It sucks because there are communities and groups who help you if
>> you face problems. I don't like talking to humans. I love the
>> computer sounds that make you feel talking to aliens.

Now this is just odd.

>> It sucks because it does not have any problem and is simple to
>> use-how can a system without problem exist? A problem-less system
>> is not reliable.there must be something fishy about it.

While GNU/Linux is very stable, it doesn have the occasional problem.
Like any operating system out there.

You're right about it being easy to use.

>> It sucks because everybody who uses it says: "I like it!" This is
>> perhaps a borrowed sentence. Nobody is giving genuine review of it.
>> How could be a system for fool-proof?

GNU/Linux is being reviewed all the time. But I have no idea how you
see this a a criterion for quality.

>> And the very best reason for it: open source. What does it mean? Is
>> the source open and very wide from where these developers are
>> taking new updates. Surely, one day they will term it as "empty
>> source" or will have to "re-source". 

Whatever you're on, I want some too!

> Bizarre!

That's the least you can say O_o

-- 
Respect the cock... and tame the cunt! Tame it!
	~ Frank T.J. Mackie
0
TomB
11/21/2010 2:09:07 PM
"High Plains Thumper" <hpt@invalid.invalid> schreef in bericht 
news:icb760$6ou$1@news.albasani.net...
> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>> Clogwog pulled this:
>>
>>> Click & run is so much easier, CLI environments are something of the
>>> past, old school computing, that is!
>>>
>>> Get your facts straight, Marti, GNU/Linux *SUCKS*
>
> Snip rest of troll rant.
>
>>> And the very best reason for it: open source. What does it mean? Is the
>>> source open and very wide from where these developers are taking new
>>> updates. Surely, one day they will term it as "empty source" or will
>>> have to "re-source".
>
> Troll gibberish.
>

From: "High Plains Thumper" <highplainsthum...@invalid.invalid>
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Who's trolling here fsckwit?

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer Edition: 23 - 10/24/07
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 15:39:37 +0200
Lines: 238
Organization: c.o.l.advocacy MVP
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
 format=flowed;
 charset="iso-8859-1";
 reply-type=original
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Message-Id: <20080702133959.3D5961C0008E@mwinf6206.online.nl>
X-Abuse-Contact: ab...@bananasplit.info

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+
+             C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer
+                  Edition: 23 - 10/24/07
+              Group: comp.os.linux.advocacy
+
+        Copyright (c) 2002-2006 Linux Reality Team
+
+ PLEASE VISIT OUR HALL OF LINUX IDIOTS:
+
+              http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
+
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 

0
Clogwog
11/21/2010 2:17:48 PM
On 21-11-10 15:09, TomB wrote:

> On 2010-11-21, the following emerged from the brain of Chris Ahlstrom:
>> Clogwog pulled this Usenet face plant:
>>
>>> Click&  run is so much easier, CLI environments are something of
>>> the past, old school computing, that is!
>
> Bollocks. The CLI has always been the preferred way of interacting
> with a system for many IT professionals.

Indeed I'm only a hobbyist, yet in my City known as "the" computerguy. 
Some call me Bill Gates (yes I forgive them, they don't know any better) :-)

This is what I hated about Windows ME: if you wanted to boot WinME in 
"dosmode" you had to boot the system from a floppy disk. With a few 
modifications in MSDOS.SYS and a modified AUTOEXEC.BAT Batch-file and 
eventually modified CONFIG.SYS.

(For the non MS-DOS "experienced" a Batch-file is the DOS (wannabe) 
equivalent of a Shell-script).

That wasn't really a horror, yet booting from floppy-disk was quite slow.

>>> Get your facts straight, Marti, GNU/Linux *SUCKS* It sucks because
>>> it is free of cost. There can't be any free lunch in today's world.
>>> I know what these free things are up to.

I have my facts straight Hans. I don't need a clicketee click Bart Sh1t 
interface to get my work done. A CLI is just fine and in many cases much 
more efficient then a GUI. On the other hand the popular desktop 
environments on GNU/Linux are much more advanced that Windows. It is 
very easy to mimic the Windows (Aero), MacOS X (Aqua) and everything 
else under Gnome, KDE, XFCE, Enlighment etc..

I'm not even going to respond on the rest of Clogwog's bogus arguments, 
since they are just pathetic.

> People have always been donating their time and money to free
> services. Some help out the local fire brigade, some help feed the
> homeless, others write free software. While a lot of people indeed are
> evil and greedy to the bone, there still are lots of good-natured
> people around, taking pride in the free work and services they
> provide.
>
>>> It sucks because there is no copyright infringement or any other
>>> limitation on the use. Anybody and everybody can contribute in its
>>> development. It is messy.
>
> Yes, free software can be messy, but it certainly isn't by definition.
> There are a lot of well organized projects and an increasing amount of
> generally accepted standards in the F/OSS world.
>
> And things can get very messy in the greedy corporate world as well,
> perhaps even more so.
>
>>> It sucks because nobody can claim the ownership on it-people just
>>> contribute and develop. Who is the authority on it and who is
>>> liable? I don't like software that are uncertain about who is
>>> handling them.
>
> For the F/OSS ecosystem as a whole there's no authority, that's true.
> For a lot of its components there is though. Linus Torvalds still
> defines the direction of the Linux kernel. The Gnome team decides how
> Gnome will evolve. Distributors decide what they package, how they
> package it, and how they glue it all together.
>
>>> It sucks because it has the spirit of spreading computers to one
>>> and all.  What I would do if everybody knows computers and knows
>>> how to use it. It will ruin my business and my panache in my small
>>> towns where I am the celebrity and the-computer-guy.
>
> If you want to stay on top of your game, you have to work for it. But
> don't worry: while GNU/Linux indeed encourages the idea of learning
> how your computer works, it is not a requirement. There will always be
> pleny of people with no interest in how a computer works, ready to
> worship you as 'the computer guy'.
>
>>> It sucks because there are many distributions in it. People just
>>> don't stick with one distro-I like to choose one thing and then
>>> stay with it.
>
> I chose Debian ages ago. If I can do this, so can you.
>
>>> It sucks because its release cycle is 6 months-I have to upgrade it
>>> time and again. I hate these upgrades making me feel that I will be
>>> termed a retard if I don't upgrade.
>
> GNU/Linux doesn't have a release cycle. The different distributions of
> it do, though. And it certainly isn't '6 months' for all of them.
> Debian for example releases 'when it's ready', while Gentoo never
> 'releases'.
>
>>> It sucks because people don't know what is the exact pronunciation
>>> of it? - Linix, Lynex, Linax, or what. I mean it does not have a
>>> name that can be uniform throughout the world. A name is a mark of
>>> functionality-people who claim that it works so well and does not
>>> have any working problems are under an illusion.
>
> Pronounce it however you like.
>
>>> It sucks because there are communities and groups who help you if
>>> you face problems. I don't like talking to humans. I love the
>>> computer sounds that make you feel talking to aliens.
>
> Now this is just odd.
>
>>> It sucks because it does not have any problem and is simple to
>>> use-how can a system without problem exist? A problem-less system
>>> is not reliable.there must be something fishy about it.
>
> While GNU/Linux is very stable, it doesn have the occasional problem.
> Like any operating system out there.
>
> You're right about it being easy to use.
>
>>> It sucks because everybody who uses it says: "I like it!" This is
>>> perhaps a borrowed sentence. Nobody is giving genuine review of it.
>>> How could be a system for fool-proof?
>
> GNU/Linux is being reviewed all the time. But I have no idea how you
> see this a a criterion for quality.
>
>>> And the very best reason for it: open source. What does it mean? Is
>>> the source open and very wide from where these developers are
>>> taking new updates. Surely, one day they will term it as "empty
>>> source" or will have to "re-source".
>
> Whatever you're on, I want some too!
>
>> Bizarre!
>
> That's the least you can say O_o
>


-- 
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin, alias ML2MST
|_|_|0| Registered GNU/Linux user 513040
|0|0|0| http://www.soundclick.com/martivanlin

0
Marti
11/21/2010 10:30:32 PM
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> ToiletClog pulled this Usenet face plant:
>>
>> It sucks because
>
>Bizarre!

Indeed.  Obviously, nothing but a bunch of made-up non-reasons.  Why
would anyone bother?

0
chrisv
11/22/2010 2:34:06 PM
On 21-11-10 10:56, TomB wrote:

> On 2010-11-21, the following emerged from the brain of Marti van Lin:
>> On 21-11-10 05:59, Gregory Shearman wrote:
>>
>>> Belgium is almost all Catholic. I found the people very straight-laced.
>>> It's probably not so unusual.
>
> We're supposed to be catholic ;-) It's more folklore than anything
> else. Not that there are no die-hard catholics anymore (unfortunately
> there are), but it's more of an inheritage than real belief.

It's exactly the same up here. The Carnival tradition is still very 
strong in Maastricht but it has nothing in common with the Catholic Church.

>> Oh well he lives in the same province as I do, only he on the Belgian
>> side and I on the Dutch side of the border and we are Catholic too.
>
> I'm in that province as well ;-)

Yeah, I noticed when I watched the Hyves site of the fantastic band, you 
formerly joined ;-)

> Perhaps we should meet up some day! As long as you don't try to hit on
> me ;-)

I never hit on anyone, that's the Dude's job, I follow :-p

>> But like I said, if this works for him, then I respect that. If it ain't
>> broke, don't fix it ;-)
>
> I think it's a shame that someone has to stay 'in the closet'. Fsck
> the small-minded masses I say.

Exactly my thought, yet for "Julian" it obviously doesn't work that way.

>>>> However it was clear to me that "Julian" (not his real name) is a geek
>>>> and mostly we share the same interests.
>>>>
>>>> He followed a study and graduated last year as a "Computer Hardware
>>>> Technician" and this year he is doing "Network System Administrator". In
>>>> his current study he has to use Fedora, yet only the CLI environment
>>>> (Bash, yum etc.). He is not allowed to use GUI tools at all.
>>>
>>> Yep.. it would be essential for a network systems admin to only use the
>>> CLI to administer a network. There's usually no room for GUI overhead on
>>> a server setup.
>
> Fully seconded. A server admin should have a deep knowledge of the
> console-based environment and be able to run a server headless from A
> to Z.

Well fortunately I'm here to teach "Julian" all this stuff. And I'm 100% 
convinced that he will make it.

If he only had a little more faith in himself...

Oh well, I'll *CHACKA* him :-)

-- 
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin, alias ML2MST
|_|_|0| Registered GNU/Linux user 513040
|0|0|0| http://www.soundclick.com/martivanlin

0
Marti
11/25/2010 3:45:07 PM
Reply:
Similar Artilces:

[News] Laptops with GNU/Linux Gain Popularity in India
Laptops pre-loaded with Linux getting popular ,----[ Quote ] | Indeed, with Linux consistently bettering market expectations, these | large firms are offering more choice and lower prices, not just in the | server market, but also on laptops. And laptops pre-loaded with Linux | operating system are gaining in popularity among Indian customers as | well. `---- http://www.hindu.com/2004/06/16/stories/2004061606911800.htm Also see the recent news: HP To Certify Suse Linux For Notebooks ,----[ Quote ] | Hewlett-Packard will ensure that the operating system works on several | of its n...

LInux crapware: screen randomly shuts off
Victim 1: "So yesterday my Ubuntu 14.04 install started doing this weird thing where the screen would just start shutting off at random times. If I move the mouse it comes back on. I've tried timing it and it's not at regular intervals. It could be 3 minutes, could be 5 minutes, could be 1 minute later." Victim 2: "Had the same issue on Xubuntu" 4 posts at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2244415 It's a blessing in disguise: Would you really rather have Linux onscreen all the time? On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 09:05:35 -0400 DFS &...

Why linux is linux
We don't destroy, we create. We don't imitate, we build. We are not a network, we are a personal OS. -- http://www.texeme.com Hi John, Attempting to Speak for Linux, You wrote: << We don't destroy, we create. We don't imitate, we build. We are not a network, we are a personal OS. >> Linux is more like this: << Like everything else, we consume and are consumed. We exchange ideas with everyone, to the point where it's almost impossible to track. We are artisans, not mass producers. >> Jeff Relf wrote: > Linux is mo...

[News] OpenMoko Phone Runs Mutiple Linux OSes
Open Linux phone demo's open virtualization ,----[ Quote ] | The OKL4 microkernel is reportedly running on FIC's OpenMoko Neo1973 phone, | allowing two instances of Linux to share the phone's ARM-based processor. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8294545513.html Related: Howto Openmoko on HTC Magician s100 in Dual-Boot with WinCE ,----[ Quote ] | Openmoko platform doesn't run only on Neo 1973, Openmoko runs also on Pocket | PC and other devices.   `---- http://grigio.org/howto_openmoko_htc_magician_s100_dual_boot_wince Mr. Martin tear down this wall ,-...

Professional online video with Windows, not linux
Once again linux is not able to compete with full features of Windows. http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070126/wr_nm/column_pluggedin_dc ...

Why is Linux better than Windows
Ian Posted the following:- 1. Stability, reliability 2. Security - XP is secure only if it is not connected to any kind of network, phone, electric outlet, it is not powered up and locked into a secure vault to prevent any physical access to the machine. Have you cleaned your daily virus quota ? Which script kiddie is the main user of your computer ? 3. Hardware support (loseDOS runs ONLY on ia32, Linux runs on ia64, MIPS, Motorolla, IBM mainframes, embedded devices etc) 4. Supercomputing performance, see the top-500 list: How many Windows XP systems are on the list ? 0 How ...

Re: Moving to Linux
"Gonzales" <Gonzales@IDTS.net> escribi� en el mensaje news:dj_ud.194467$Np3.7989287@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca... snip > AHA! That's almost exacctly what I did for my home computer! First > Firefox, then Thunderbird, I had already ditched MS Word. Next I used > Winamp. Now I dual boot with Winders and Linux. If I could only get my > games to work on Linux, too :< ?? I think I got lost with the "Winamp" part.... Winamp???? I hope this doesn't mean you used ... M$MP... so stop using it was some kind of rebellion against the Empire, what? hahaha......

Re: Unable to install trial version on linux #2
Hi, please try the cpio command without the '-c' option, e.g. cpio -idvum < IIF_9.40.UC5_linux_tl.cpi Andreas On Wednesday 10 November 2004 09:01, Martin Thole wrote: > I just downloaded the Informix Dynamic Server 9.40.UC5 for Linux . > But we cann't install the file : IIF_9.40.UC5_linux_tl.cpi (98 > MB). > > I think with the suffix ".cpi" it should be a cpio archive. > But the cpio-command stops with: > "cpio: premature end of file" > > [I have download the file two ...

REAL Software Ships REALbasic 2007 Release 1
AUSTIN, Texas, USA (January 2, 2007) - REAL Software, provider of REALbasic, cross-platform that really works, announced that REALbasic 2007 Release 1 is shipping today. In addition to improved reliability for building Universal Binary applications, REALbasic 2007 Release 1 improves support for MySQL, PostreSQL and ODBC compliant databases, such as Microsoft SQL Server. This release also improves support for QuickTime and making network connections via proxy servers. Recent improvements to database support include: REAL SQL Server: Connect to REAL SQL Server with Universal Binary ...

Unable to print to IPP printer through linux firewall
Have been unable to print or ping printer through firewall from web. Have tried enabling port forwarding to printer fixed ip to port 631 with no success. Only by setting dmz to printer ip, does the printer work over Internet. Iptables -L the following line is found. ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere 192.168.1.2 tcp dpt:631 Any tips or tricks at command line to fix problem? Joseph Wardzinski wrote: > Have been unable to print or ping printer through firewall from web. > Have tried enabling port forwarding to printer fixed ip to port 631 with > no success. Only ...

US-VA-Ashburn: Linux Admin/Web Eng., Red Hat/Linux, Websphere, HTML/Web; 6M (45301732409)
US-VA-Ashburn: Linux Admin/Web Eng., Red Hat/Linux, Websphere, HTML/Web; 6M (45301732409) ========================================================================================= Position: Linux Admin/Web Eng. Reference: SMC01400 Location: Ashburn VA Duration: 6M Skills: 5yrs exp. in prod level support. Thorough understanding of Red Hat/Linux and all major *nix services Exp building & managing high-performance Web server systems Strong understanding of networking including sub-netting, ...

[News] Montecito Servers to Include Linux
[There was a serious outage last night, so I'm posting from a different host] Montecito servers expected in September ,----[ Quote ] | NEC is releasing two Express5800 models, the 32-processor 1320Xf | and eight-processor 1080Rf, which run Windows or Linux. `---- http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-6096079.html?tag=nefd.top ...

Linux Counter: 121687 registered Linux users
This is the monthly report from the Linux Usage Counter. It is posted on the 1st of every month on the newsgroup comp.os.linux.misc, and on the Linux Counter "announce" list. Registration and information is available via the World Wide Web; connect to URL http://counter.li.org/ This is the preferred interface to the counter. NOTE: You can UPDATE your record in the counter if you have your registration key, which was sent to you when you registered. Go to http://counter.li.org/person/ EMAIL: To enter your registration into the statistics, send an E-mail to linux-counter@uninett.n...

Horton AV announces avian flu vaccine for Linux
Horton AV announces avian flu vaccine for Linux David 'cdlu' Graham Oct 16 2005 Reacting to fears that the avian flu outbreak recently reported in Turkey could spread to Linux, anti-virus vendor Horton AV has released what it calls an effective vaccine ... http://www.newsforge.com/articles/05/10/13/1648206.shtml?tid=149&tid=1 Stephanie Mannerz <steph59mannerz@gmail.com> writes: > On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 12:06:50 -0700, Daeron wrote: > > > Horton AV announces avian flu vaccine for Linux > > David 'cdlu' Graham Oct 16 2005 > > > > Reacti...

Nis Map and linux
Hi all I'm facing on an issue. So I need your help. I have a NIS server on Sun Solaris. I currently using direct and indirect NIS map. for example: On my NIS server ( Solaris Operating System) - on /etc/nis/auto_master file /home auto_home -rw,intr,nosuid /- auto_direct - on /etc/nis/auto_home * nfsserver:/export/home/& - on /etc/nis/auto_direct /usr/local -rw,soft,bg nfsserver:/usr/local/ On a Sun NIS client, I always add in /etc/auto_master the line +auto_master. And modify the /et...

SSH from Windows to Linux w/port forwarding.
I have a Linux Server (Debian Sarge) behind a firewall that I need to tunnel into and forward ports from. I can orward all the ports I need from my laptop (Windows XP SP2) if I use either putty or Tunnelier from bitvise. I've been attempting to tunnel from OpenSSH on Cygwin but without much success. I can forward the RemoteDesktop port but not the others. Here is the command I use to start ssh and create the tunnel from xterm on Cygwin: $ ssh -F ~/.ssh/home_ssh_config myserver.dyndns.org -N -f -v Below are the contents of the above mentioned ssh config file: LogLevel DEBUG3 Host my...

Re: Which version of Mandrake Linux works with wxWidgets? #3
> Nah, I'd rather say he really needs to learn how to > use Linux. > Yes, that is what I am trying to do. So here is what I�ve learned: The best thing about wxWidgets is that it runs on so many platforms, but to take advantage of that, one must learn those platforms. So I started on Windows and got my app working well there. Then I bought a Mac and got my app working on Mac OS X. And recently I started targeting Linux. There are so many flavors of Linux so I went to distrowatch.com to pick a few to get started with. I picked four: Fedora, SUSE, Mandra...

Linux NameServer Problem
I have a SpeedStream Router its IP address is 192.168.254.200 Whenever I give my linux nameserver a address 192.168.254.x it keeps switching to the SpeedStream router's address when I check the resolv.conf file. What must I do to keep the address I set and not have it use the router's address? ericcvt wrote: > I have a SpeedStream Router its IP address is 192.168.254.200 Whenever > I give my linux nameserver a address 192.168.254.x it keeps switching > to the SpeedStream router's address when I check the resolv.conf file. > What must I do to keep the address I...

[News] Linux, BSD's, and Passion
Passion for Windows: Does it Exist? ,----[ Quote ] | Both Linux and OS X are surrounded by user passion, and it | shows. There's really no comparison that can be made to Windows in | this way. As I've said before, I can?t even remember the last | time when someone said they were really pumped about using Windows, | but the other operating system alternatives receive these | unsolicited testimonials on a very regular basis. When it comes | right down to it, no matter how amazing or successful a product may | be, if the passion and the drive aren't there, then it?s a failure. | What...

Linux, Linux, Linux
Hi, Interested in trying Linux? Well you came to comp.os.linux.advocacy for some reason, and you probably won't stay long. Here's a list of Linux distributions to choose from. Ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.com Newbie friendly and good support forums. SuSE http://www.novell.com/linux Pay for some support if you're not opposed to spending a little money. Fedora Core http://fedoraproject.org If you're more comfortable with your computer, try this one out. If you get frustrated, don't give up so easy. There is a wealth of information online for whichever distro you choose....

Re: ODBC on Linux #4
Right, the actual driver is provided by a 3rd party (Easysoft). It's priced decently, but requires a server component to be installed on the machine running SQL Server (in addition to the linux client driver). My DBA will freak if I ask him to install some strange binary on our live production server, so that's not an option. I'm evalling both DataDirect and OpenLink, but I've been at it all day and so far neither one is working. Both drivers load fine, but connection is refused, despite using the exact same connection arguments that work from a windows pc. Right now I am ...

Extramadura planning a 40,000 user roll out of Linux
Extramadura planning a 40,000 user roll out of Linux ---------------------------------------------------- http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Extremadura-CIO-plans-Linux-rollout-on-40-000-desktops-1419281.html Huge benefit to the Linux community and its engineers distributing free software. The more people that use it, the more engineers can make money from free software through support services. Verily I say unto thee that 7 spake thusly: > Extramadura planning a 40,000 user roll out of Linux > ---------------------------------------------------- > > http://www.h-online.c...

[News] What if Canonical Sold Hardware with Linux Preloaded?
Open letter to Mark Shuttleworth ,----[ Quote ] | In short; | | - there is a market for pre-installed linux | - you already have the support system | - potential partners exist in the hardware branch | - you already have the software `---- http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/03/open_letter_to_mark_shuttlewor.html Last night/yesterday: Dell doomed for the short term, analyst reckons ,----[ Quote ] | It predicts that there will be a continued backlash from Dell's | recent customer problems and uncertainties around its financial | accounting. It will also be unable to face off st...

LONG [News Digest] Linux News Digest for the 24hrs preceding 07-04-07
In today's digest, we have: * Internal Microsoft Discussions About Departure * Large German Music Store Goes for the DRM Kill * Machine-to-Machine Development Kit Preloaded with Linux * Telegraph Covers Linux/MythTV * France Prepares GNU/Linux Computers for the Mass Market * Looking Beyond the Media's Attempts to Discredit Stallman and the GPL * When Things Go Wrong in Windows, They Go Very Wrong * BSD Live CD Lags Behind Linux Live CDs * New Version of Open Sound System (OSS), mkisofs Set Free * Microsoft's XBox Team Accused of Overcharging Customers ...

[News] [Linux] Network Manager Was NOT Fired Over Linux Recommendation
School District Did Not Fire Network Manager For Recommending Linux ,----[ Quote ] | I emailed the writer of that same article to ask if Curtis Mason was | really fired for recommending Linux. The reply confirmed my suspicion... | | [...] | | Lets not get into sensationalistic hissy fits, that?s reserved only | for Microsoft. `---- http://www.techybytes.com/school-district-did-not-fire-network-manager-for-recommending-linux/ Related: District to save money by switching computers to Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Hyland said the district hopes to get all of its computers | running Linux exclusi...