Linux advocacy in real life

I feel good about myself, because with my fiddling around with GNU/Linux
(for the past decade) I am able to help novices.

I met my current lover on some drowsy Dutch Gay Dating site, which is
quite funny, because my lover is Belgian and to be honest I'm quite
"prudish" for Dutch GLBT standards.

The most weird thing is that my lover is at the age of 47 and still "in
the closet".

However it was clear to me that "Julian" (not his real name) is a geek
and mostly we share the same interests.

He followed a study and graduated last year as a "Computer Hardware
Technician" and this year he is doing "Network System Administrator". In
his current study he has to use Fedora, yet only the CLI environment
(Bash, yum etc.). He is not allowed to use GUI tools at all.

Isn't that funny? I'm having a Lover who adores me for being a
knowledgeable and seasoned "Linuxl00n"

GNU/Linux knowledge gives you all sorts of benefits :-p

--
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin, alias ML2MST
|_|_|0| Registered GNU/Linux user 513040
|0|0|0| http://www.soundclick.com/martivanlin

0
Marti
11/21/2010 1:22:55 AM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 123401 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 2010-11-21, Marti van Lin <ml2mst@dontevenbother.invalid> wrote:
> I feel good about myself, because with my fiddling around with GNU/Linux
> (for the past decade) I am able to help novices.
>
> I met my current lover on some drowsy Dutch Gay Dating site, which is
> quite funny, because my lover is Belgian and to be honest I'm quite
> "prudish" for Dutch GLBT standards.

Is he Flemish? My first wife was Flemish, but I won't hold that against
him... 8-)

> The most weird thing is that my lover is at the age of 47 and still "in
> the closet".

Belgium is almost all Catholic. I found the people very straight-laced.
It's probably not so unusual.

> However it was clear to me that "Julian" (not his real name) is a geek
> and mostly we share the same interests.
>
> He followed a study and graduated last year as a "Computer Hardware
> Technician" and this year he is doing "Network System Administrator". In
> his current study he has to use Fedora, yet only the CLI environment
> (Bash, yum etc.). He is not allowed to use GUI tools at all.

Yep.. it would be essential for a network systems admin to only use the
CLI to administer a network. There's usually no room for GUI overhead on
a server setup.

> Isn't that funny? I'm having a Lover who adores me for being a
> knowledgeable and seasoned "Linuxl00n"

Don't we all live in our mother's basement?

8-)

--
Regards,

Gregory.
Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power
0
Gregory
11/21/2010 4:59:10 AM
On 21-11-10 05:59, Gregory Shearman wrote:

> On 2010-11-21, Marti van Lin<ml2mst@dontevenbother.invalid>  wrote:
>> I feel good about myself, because with my fiddling around with GNU/Linux
>> (for the past decade) I am able to help novices.
>>
>> I met my current lover on some drowsy Dutch Gay Dating site, which is
>> quite funny, because my lover is Belgian and to be honest I'm quite
>> "prudish" for Dutch GLBT standards.
>
> Is he Flemish? My first wife was Flemish, but I won't hold that against
> him... 8-)

Hold it against him? Why should I?

>> The most weird thing is that my lover is at the age of 47 and still "in
>> the closet".
>
> Belgium is almost all Catholic. I found the people very straight-laced.
> It's probably not so unusual.

Oh well he lives in the same province as I do, only he on the Belgian
side and I on the Dutch side of the border and we are Catholic too.

But like I said, if this works for him, then I respect that. If it ain't
broke, don't fix it ;-)

>> However it was clear to me that "Julian" (not his real name) is a geek
>> and mostly we share the same interests.
>>
>> He followed a study and graduated last year as a "Computer Hardware
>> Technician" and this year he is doing "Network System Administrator". In
>> his current study he has to use Fedora, yet only the CLI environment
>> (Bash, yum etc.). He is not allowed to use GUI tools at all.
>
> Yep.. it would be essential for a network systems admin to only use the
> CLI to administer a network. There's usually no room for GUI overhead on
> a server setup.
>
>> Isn't that funny? I'm having a Lover who adores me for being a
>> knowledgeable and seasoned "Linuxl00n"
>
> Don't we all live in our mother's basement?
>
> 8-)

Of course we all do. It's only that my mother passed away 15 years ago :-)

--
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin, alias ML2MST
|_|_|0| Registered GNU/Linux user 513040
|0|0|0| http://www.soundclick.com/martivanlin

0
Marti
11/21/2010 9:44:41 AM
On 2010-11-21, the following emerged from the brain of Marti van Lin:
> On 21-11-10 05:59, Gregory Shearman wrote:
>
>> Belgium is almost all Catholic. I found the people very straight-laced.
>> It's probably not so unusual.

We're supposed to be catholic ;-) It's more folklore than anything
else. Not that there are no die-hard catholics anymore (unfortunately
there are), but it's more of an inheritage than real belief.

> Oh well he lives in the same province as I do, only he on the Belgian
> side and I on the Dutch side of the border and we are Catholic too.

I'm in that province as well ;-)

Perhaps we should meet up some day! As long as you don't try to hit on
me ;-)

> But like I said, if this works for him, then I respect that. If it ain't
> broke, don't fix it ;-)

I think it's a shame that someone has to stay 'in the closet'. Fsck
the small-minded masses I say.

>>> However it was clear to me that "Julian" (not his real name) is a geek
>>> and mostly we share the same interests.
>>>
>>> He followed a study and graduated last year as a "Computer Hardware
>>> Technician" and this year he is doing "Network System Administrator". In
>>> his current study he has to use Fedora, yet only the CLI environment
>>> (Bash, yum etc.). He is not allowed to use GUI tools at all.
>>
>> Yep.. it would be essential for a network systems admin to only use the
>> CLI to administer a network. There's usually no room for GUI overhead on
>> a server setup.

Fully seconded. A server admin should have a deep knowledge of the
console-based environment and be able to run a server headless from A
to Z.

--
Engineering: where the noble semi-skilled laborers execute the vision of those
who think and dream. Hello, Ooompa-Loompas of science.
On 2010-11-21, Marti van Lin <ml2mst@dontevenbother.invalid> wrote:
> On 21-11-10 05:59, Gregory Shearman wrote:
>
>> On 2010-11-21, Marti van Lin<ml2mst@dontevenbother.invalid>  wrote:
>>> I feel good about myself, because with my fiddling around with GNU/Linux
>>> (for the past decade) I am able to help novices.
>>>
>>> I met my current lover on some drowsy Dutch Gay Dating site, which is
>>> quite funny, because my lover is Belgian and to be honest I'm quite
>>> "prudish" for Dutch GLBT standards.
>>
>> Is he Flemish? My first wife was Flemish, but I won't hold that against
>> him... 8-)
>
> Hold it against him? Why should I?

Just a joke... I didn't get on with my first wife... 8-)

>>> The most weird thing is that my lover is at the age of 47 and still "in
>>> the closet".
>>
>> Belgium is almost all Catholic. I found the people very straight-laced.
>> It's probably not so unusual.
>
> Oh well he lives in the same province as I do, only he on the Belgian
> side and I on the Dutch side of the border and we are Catholic too.

I've been there and windsurfed on the North Sea coast, right on the
border.

>> Don't we all live in our mother's basement?
>>
>> 8-)
>>

> Of course we all do. It's only that my mother passed away 15 years ago :-)

My mum passed away 10 years ago. She didn't have a basement and I left
home when I was 17 years old.

--
Regards,

Gregory.
Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power
0
Gregory
11/21/2010 10:09:37 AM
"Marti van Lin" <ml2mst@dontevenbother.invalid> wrote in message
> I feel good about myself, because with my fiddling around with GNU/Linux
> (for the past decade) I am able to help novices.

That's good, but read the 2007 FAQ & Primer.
https://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/43327f0c6ce4d84b?hl=nl&dmode=source&output=gplain

> I met my current lover on some drowsy Dutch Gay Dating site, which is
> quite funny, because my lover is Belgian and to be honest I'm quite
> "prudish" for Dutch GLBT standards.

I don't support your tendency to drag, your gay lifestyle into a Usenet NG.

> The most weird thing is that my lover is at the age of 47 and still "in
> the closet".

Maybe bad experiences with Roman Catholic priests marked him for life?

> However it was clear to me that "Julian" (not his real name) is a geek and
> mostly we share the same interests.
>
> He followed a study and graduated last year as a "Computer Hardware
> Technician" and this year he is doing "Network System Administrator". In
> his current study he has to use Fedora, yet only the CLI environment
> (Bash, yum etc.). He is not allowed to use GUI tools at all.

Click & run is so much easier, CLI environments are something of the past,
old school computing, that is!

> Isn't that funny? I'm having a Lover who adores me for being a
> knowledgeable and seasoned "Linuxl00n"

Being a "Linuxl00n" is not something to be proud of, son!

> GNU/Linux knowledge gives you all sorts of benefits :-p

Get your facts straight, Marti, GNU/Linux *SUCKS*
It sucks because it is free of cost. There can't be any free lunch in today's
world. I know what these free things are up to.
It sucks because there is no copyright infringement or any other limitation
on the use. Anybody and everybody can contribute in its development. It is
messy.
It sucks because nobody can claim the ownership on it-people just contribute
and develop. Who is the authority on it and who is liable? I don't like
software that are uncertain about who is handling them.
It sucks because it has the spirit of spreading computers to one and all.
What I would do if everybody knows computers and knows how to use it. It
will ruin my business and my panache in my small towns where I am the
celebrity and the-computer-guy.
It sucks because there are many distributions in it. People just don't stick
with one distro-I like to choose one thing and then stay with it.
It sucks because its release cycle is 6 months-I have to upgrade it time and
again. I hate these upgrades making me feel that I will be termed a retard
if I don't upgrade.
It sucks because people don't know what is the exact pronunciation of it? -
Linix, Lynex, Linax, or what. I mean it does not have a name that can be
uniform throughout the world. A name is a mark of functionality-people who
claim that it works so well and does not have any working problems are under
an illusion.
It sucks because there are communities and groups who help you if you face
problems. I don't like talking to humans. I love the computer sounds that
make you feel talking to aliens.
It sucks because it does not have any problem and is simple to use-how can a
system without problem exist? A problem-less system is not reliable.there
must be something fishy about it.
It sucks because everybody who uses it says: "I like it!" This is perhaps a
borrowed sentence. Nobody is giving genuine review of it. How could be a
system for fool-proof?

And the very best reason for it: open source. What does it mean? Is the
source open and very wide from where these developers are taking new
updates. Surely, one day they will term it as "empty source" or will have to
"re-source".

0
Clogwog
11/21/2010 12:18:45 PM
Gregory Shearman pulled this Usenet face plant:

> On 2010-11-21, Marti van Lin <ml2mst@dontevenbother.invalid> wrote:
>> On 21-11-10 05:59, Gregory Shearman wrote:
>>
>>> Is he Flemish? My first wife was Flemish, but I won't hold that against
>>> him... 8-)
>>
>> Hold it against him? Why should I?
>
> Just a joke... I didn't get on with my first wife... 8-)

   "My wife and I were happy for 20 years!  And then we met."

>> Of course we all do. It's only that my mother passed away 15 years ago :-)
>
> My mum passed away 10 years ago. She didn't have a basement and I left
> home when I was 17 years old.

My mom is still around, bowling and golfing.  Sent us a newsclip
with her picture, for winning her group in golf.

--
The problem with graduate students, in general, is that they have
to sleep every few days.

> Click & run is so much easier, CLI environments are something of the past,
> old school computing, that is!
>
> Get your facts straight, Marti, GNU/Linux *SUCKS*
> It sucks because it is free of cost. There can't be any free lunch in today's
> world. I know what these free things are up to.
>
> It sucks because there is no copyright infringement or any other limitation
> on the use. Anybody and everybody can contribute in its development. It is
> messy.
>
> It sucks because nobody can claim the ownership on it-people just contribute
> and develop. Who is the authority on it and who is liable? I don't like
> software that are uncertain about who is handling them.
>
> It sucks because it has the spirit of spreading computers to one and all.
> What I would do if everybody knows computers and knows how to use it. It
> will ruin my business and my panache in my small towns where I am the
> celebrity and the-computer-guy.
>
> It sucks because there are many distributions in it. People just don't stick
> with one distro-I like to choose one thing and then stay with it.
>
> It sucks because its release cycle is 6 months-I have to upgrade it time and
> again. I hate these upgrades making me feel that I will be termed a retard
> if I don't upgrade.
>
> It sucks because people don't know what is the exact pronunciation of it? -
> Linix, Lynex, Linax, or what. I mean it does not have a name that can be
> uniform throughout the world. A name is a mark of functionality-people who
> claim that it works so well and does not have any working problems are under
> an illusion.
>
> It sucks because there are communities and groups who help you if you face
> problems. I don't like talking to humans. I love the computer sounds that
> make you feel talking to aliens.
>
> It sucks because it does not have any problem and is simple to use-how can a
> system without problem exist? A problem-less system is not reliable.there
> must be something fishy about it.
>
> It sucks because everybody who uses it says: "I like it!" This is perhaps a
> borrowed sentence. Nobody is giving genuine review of it. How could be a
> system for fool-proof?
>
> And the very best reason for it: open source. What does it mean? Is the
> source open and very wide from where these developers are taking new
> updates. Surely, one day they will term it as "empty source" or will have to
> "re-source".

Bizarre!

--
Little known fact about Middle Earth: The Hobbits had a very sophisticated
computer network!  It was a Tolkien Ring...
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> Clogwog pulled this:
>
>> Click & run is so much easier, CLI environments are something of the
>> past, old school computing, that is!
>>
>> Get your facts straight, Marti, GNU/Linux *SUCKS*

Snip rest of troll rant.

>> And the very best reason for it: open source. What does it mean? Is the
>> source open and very wide from where these developers are taking new
>> updates. Surely, one day they will term it as "empty source" or will
>> have to "re-source".

Troll gibberish.

> Bizarre!

Well designed application CLI interfaces work very well. An example is
data base input and display. Those worked very well with text based input.
Using a GUI gives no added advantage.

I know of medical input operators who decried the day their Unix system
was "upgraded" to a Windows system, which took more time to do input
because the mouse got in its way. It was a lot easier to use hot keys to
navigate and type input.

Also, the only way to fix a locked up or disfunctional Windows workstation
was to *REBOOT*. This was unnecessary with a Unix terminal, it worked day
in and day out WITHOUT *REBOOTING*.

Not everyone requires a GUI. Also, Sterling Ball put it:

[quote]
The other thing is that if you look at productivity. If you put a bunch of
stuff on people's desktops they don't need to do their job, chances are
they're going to use it. I don't have that problem. If all you need is
word processing, that's all you're going to have on your desktop, a word
processor. It's not going to have Paint or PowerPoint. I tell you what,
our hits to eBay went down greatly when not everybody had a Web browser.
For somebody whose job is filling out forms all day, invoicing and
exporting, why do they need a Web browser? The idea that if you have 2,000
terminals they all have to have a Web browser, that's crazy. It just
creates distractions.
[/quote]

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/2008-1082_3-5065859.html

Thus, Linux DOES NOT SUCK. Linux desktops in a medical data input
environment makes perfect sense communicating with a Unix or Linux server
data base.

We will see more quiet migrations as users give up the leaking sieve (with
viruses, root kits, privacy information loss, spam generators, etc.) call
Windows for much much more stable Linux.

--
HPT

0
High
11/21/2010 1:34:54 PM
On 2010-11-21, the following emerged from the brain of Chris Ahlstrom:
> Clogwog pulled this Usenet face plant:
>
>> Click & run is so much easier, CLI environments are something of
>> the past, old school computing, that is!

Bollocks. The CLI has always been the preferred way of interacting
with a system for many IT professionals.

>> Get your facts straight, Marti, GNU/Linux *SUCKS* It sucks because
>> it is free of cost. There can't be any free lunch in today's world.
>> I know what these free things are up to.

People have always been donating their time and money to free
services. Some help out the local fire brigade, some help feed the
homeless, others write free software. While a lot of people indeed are
evil and greedy to the bone, there still are lots of good-natured
people around, taking pride in the free work and services they
provide.

>> It sucks because there is no copyright infringement or any other
>> limitation on the use. Anybody and everybody can contribute in its
>> development. It is messy.

Yes, free software can be messy, but it certainly isn't by definition.
There are a lot of well organized projects and an increasing amount of
generally accepted standards in the F/OSS world.

And things can get very messy in the greedy corporate world as well,
perhaps even more so.

>> It sucks because nobody can claim the ownership on it-people just
>> contribute and develop. Who is the authority on it and who is
>> liable? I don't like software that are uncertain about who is
>> handling them.

For the F/OSS ecosystem as a whole there's no authority, that's true.
For a lot of its components there is though. Linus Torvalds still
defines the direction of the Linux kernel. The Gnome team decides how
Gnome will evolve. Distributors decide what they package, how they
package it, and how they glue it all together.

>> It sucks because it has the spirit of spreading computers to one
>> and all.  What I would do if everybody knows computers and knows
>> how to use it. It will ruin my business and my panache in my small
>> towns where I am the celebrity and the-computer-guy.

If you want to stay on top of your game, you have to work for it. But
don't worry: while GNU/Linux indeed encourages the idea of learning
how your computer works, it is not a requirement. There will always be
pleny of people with no interest in how a computer works, ready to
worship you as 'the computer guy'.

>> It sucks because there are many distributions in it. People just
>> don't stick with one distro-I like to choose one thing and then
>> stay with it.

I chose Debian ages ago. If I can do this, so can you.

>> It sucks because its release cycle is 6 months-I have to upgrade it
>> time and again. I hate these upgrades making me feel that I will be
>> termed a retard if I don't upgrade.

GNU/Linux doesn't have a release cycle. The different distributions of
it do, though. And it certainly isn't '6 months' for all of them.
Debian for example releases 'when it's ready', while Gentoo never
'releases'.

>> It sucks because people don't know what is the exact pronunciation
>> of it? - Linix, Lynex, Linax, or what. I mean it does not have a
>> name that can be uniform throughout the world. A name is a mark of
>> functionality-people who claim that it works so well and does not
>> have any working problems are under an illusion.

Pronounce it however you like.

>> It sucks because there are communities and groups who help you if
>> you face problems. I don't like talking to humans. I love the
>> computer sounds that make you feel talking to aliens.

Now this is just odd.

>> It sucks because it does not have any problem and is simple to
>> use-how can a system without problem exist? A problem-less system
>> is not reliable.there must be something fishy about it.

While GNU/Linux is very stable, it doesn have the occasional problem.
Like any operating system out there.

You're right about it being easy to use.

>> It sucks because everybody who uses it says: "I like it!" This is
>> perhaps a borrowed sentence. Nobody is giving genuine review of it.
>> How could be a system for fool-proof?

GNU/Linux is being reviewed all the time. But I have no idea how you
see this a a criterion for quality.

>> And the very best reason for it: open source. What does it mean? Is
>> the source open and very wide from where these developers are
>> taking new updates. Surely, one day they will term it as "empty
>> source" or will have to "re-source".

Whatever you're on, I want some too!

> Bizarre!

That's the least you can say O_o

--
Respect the cock... and tame the cunt! Tame it!
	~ Frank T.J. Mackie

From: "High Plains Thumper" <highplainsthum...@invalid.invalid>
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Who's trolling here fsckwit?

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer Edition: 23 - 10/24/07
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 15:39:37 +0200

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+
+             C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer
+                  Edition: 23 - 10/24/07
+              Group: comp.os.linux.advocacy
+
+        Copyright (c) 2002-2006 Linux Reality Team
+
+ PLEASE VISIT OUR HALL OF LINUX IDIOTS:
+
+              http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
+
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

0
Clogwog
11/21/2010 2:17:48 PM
On 21-11-10 15:09, TomB wrote:

> On 2010-11-21, the following emerged from the brain of Chris Ahlstrom:
>> Clogwog pulled this Usenet face plant:
>>
>>> Click&  run is so much easier, CLI environments are something of
>>> the past, old school computing, that is!
>
> Bollocks. The CLI has always been the preferred way of interacting
> with a system for many IT professionals.

Indeed I'm only a hobbyist, yet in my City known as "the" computerguy.
Some call me Bill Gates (yes I forgive them, they don't know any better) :-)

This is what I hated about Windows ME: if you wanted to boot WinME in
"dosmode" you had to boot the system from a floppy disk. With a few
modifications in MSDOS.SYS and a modified AUTOEXEC.BAT Batch-file and
eventually modified CONFIG.SYS.

(For the non MS-DOS "experienced" a Batch-file is the DOS (wannabe)
equivalent of a Shell-script).

That wasn't really a horror, yet booting from floppy-disk was quite slow.

>>> Get your facts straight, Marti, GNU/Linux *SUCKS* It sucks because
>>> it is free of cost. There can't be any free lunch in today's world.
>>> I know what these free things are up to.

I have my facts straight Hans. I don't need a clicketee click Bart Sh1t
interface to get my work done. A CLI is just fine and in many cases much
more efficient then a GUI. On the other hand the popular desktop
environments on GNU/Linux are much more advanced that Windows. It is
very easy to mimic the Windows (Aero), MacOS X (Aqua) and everything
else under Gnome, KDE, XFCE, Enlighment etc..

I'm not even going to respond on the rest of Clogwog's bogus arguments,
since they are just pathetic.

> [...]
> Like any operating system out there.
>
> You're right about it being easy to use.
>
>>> It sucks because everybody who uses it says: "I like it!" This is
>>> perhaps a borrowed sentence. Nobody is giving genuine review of it.
>>> How could be a system for fool-proof?
>
> GNU/Linux is being reviewed all the time. But I have no idea how you
> see this a a criterion for quality.
>
>>> And the very best reason for it: open source. What does it mean? Is
>>> the source open and very wide from where these developers are
>>> taking new updates. Surely, one day they will term it as "empty
>>> source" or will have to "re-source".
>
> Whatever you're on, I want some too!
>
>> Bizarre!
>
> That's the least you can say O_o

--
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin, alias ML2MST
|_|_|0| Registered GNU/Linux user 513040

11/21/2010 10:30:32 PM
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> ToiletClog pulled this Usenet face plant:
>>
>> It sucks because
>
>Bizarre!

Indeed.  Obviously, nothing but a bunch of made-up non-reasons.  Why
would anyone bother?

0
chrisv
11/22/2010 2:34:06 PM
On 21-11-10 10:56, TomB wrote:

> On 2010-11-21, the following emerged from the brain of Marti van Lin:
>> On 21-11-10 05:59, Gregory Shearman wrote:
>>
>>> Belgium is almost all Catholic. I found the people very straight-laced.
>>> It's probably not so unusual.
>
> We're supposed to be catholic ;-) It's more folklore than anything
> else. Not that there are no die-hard catholics anymore (unfortunately
> there are), but it's more of an inheritage than real belief.

It's exactly the same up here. The Carnival tradition is still very
strong in Maastricht but it has nothing in common with the Catholic Church.

>> Oh well he lives in the same province as I do, only he on the Belgian
>> side and I on the Dutch side of the border and we are Catholic too.
>
> I'm in that province as well ;-)

Yeah, I noticed when I watched the Hyves site of the fantastic band, you
formerly joined ;-)

> Perhaps we should meet up some day! As long as you don't try to hit on
> me ;-)

I never hit on anyone, that's the Dude's job, I follow :-p

>> But like I said, if this works for him, then I respect that. If it ain't
>> broke, don't fix it ;-)
>
> I think it's a shame that someone has to stay 'in the closet'. Fsck
> the small-minded masses I say.

Exactly my thought, yet for "Julian" it obviously doesn't work that way.

>>> Yep.. it would be essential for a network systems admin to only use the
>>> CLI to administer a network. There's usually no room for GUI overhead on
>>> a server setup.
>
> Fully seconded. A server admin should have a deep knowledge of the
> console-based environment and be able to run a server headless from A
> to Z.

Well fortunately I'm here to teach "Julian" all this stuff. And I'm 100%
convinced that he will make it.

If he only had a little more faith in himself...

Oh well, I'll *CHACKA* him :-)

--
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin, alias ML2MST
|_|_|0| Registered GNU/Linux user 513040
|0|0|0| http://www.soundclick.com/martivanlin

0
Marti

Real life Linux advocacy (from outside this newsgroup)
In the spirit of Doofus, I will post "real world" Linux advocacy. In order= to qualify, the post must be from another person other than the poster, fr= om another forum other than this one, from an actual Linux user, and, prefe= rably, from a non-Linux website, that is, the post about Linux must be 'off= -topic' to the website. The below post qualifies on all counts. With these criteria, you can be su= re the poster is not trying to proselytize, nor is Linux the 'main focus' o= f their post. And, as a Linux user, you can't say they are not part of Lin...

Linux, Linux, Linux

Some REAL Linux Advocacy
A few weeks back I decided to take the plunge and convert my workstation to linux. That was not a decision that was made lightly because the work I do requires me to use Microsoft products. There are no alternatives - the organisation's entire office runs on tightly integrated Microsoft software that extends well beyond simple office applications and into Microsoft back-ends and Microsoft middle-ware. The open source alternatives to MS software simply do not handle the compelexity of the documents, files and systems that I have to work with. Certainly there is no open source alternative t...

Real Linux advocacy
While COLA loons blabber on about filters, trolls, and and all kinds of off-topic Microsoft rants, in the *real* world there are still a few groups in my country who know how to advocate Linux. One of the members of CompUsers Linux told me that COLA is actually a real PITA for Linux advocacy. When people ask me how to get reliable information about Linux, I redirect them to the *real* Dutch advocates NOT to COLA nor Marti's (gays only) Linux Steunpunt Maastricht. http://linux.compusers.nl/ Platform Linux: "To *help* users to install and configure Linux, *especially* next to an ...

os.linux.advocacy
Dear Friend, I have found some great articles at: http://www.familyandtwist.com/ http:www.articlestwist.com/ http://www.downloadstwist.com/ http://www.wallpaperstwist.com/ Read them all. Thanks mahmar07@gmail.com came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard a moment ago in comp.os.linux.advocacy: > Dear Friend, > > I have found some great articles at: > <URLs snipped> > Read them all. > > Thanks Not without a summary, I ain't. -- Spanking brand new high end desktop computer: £1700 Spanking brand new colour laser printer/scanner/copier/fax...

Windows / OSX Advocacy vs Linux Advocacy
Windows or OSX advocate: I did some testing and comparison between Windows and Linux and Linux just does not seem to be performing up to the same level as Windows or OSX. Here are my benchmarks. Here are some videos showing the differences. Here are some screen shots showing inconsistencies with Linux compared to Windows or OSX. Can someone show me Linux software that can perform xyorz as well as the Windows or OSX software can? Linux advocate: Your benchmarks are faked. Your screenshots are photo-shopped. Why would anyone need to perform xyorz? I can do all of that as well w...

Real Linux advocacy #2
Just as a reminder to the loons what Linux advocacy really means, I love the look of this device and it's features and functions all powered by Linux. http://www.myjibo.com/ I'm seriously considering ordering one. On 08/20/2014 10:14 AM, Desk Rabbit wrote: > Just as a reminder to the loons what Linux advocacy really means, I love > the look of this device and it's features and functions all powered by > Linux. > > http://www.myjibo.com/ > > I'm seriously considering ordering one. Looks scary to me -- note cons expressed by these bro ...

[News] Tips for Linux Advocacy (from Linux-hostile Site)

Why linux is linux

My Linux is not your Linux
To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy! So many people demonstrate in this newsgroup that they know only a Linux of Hatred and Greed, of paranoia, and of a selfish sense of entitlement. They seem always to be behaving like monkeys in reaction to human dissenters, throwing feces at one another and beating their chests pretending to know something. My Linux is not that Linux. My Linux is the Linux of Love, of sharing, friendship, community. It is a uniquely human Linux and not one for monkeys. When I speak with fellow Linux users in real life (i.e. not in the monkeyhouse of COLA) they remin...

[News] [Linux] New and Extensive Linux Introduction/Advocacy Page
Introduction to Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The very first thing that must be understood about Linux is that | is it open-source software. Think about the open nature of a | chocolate chip cookie recipe and how all the people who use ita | re legally allowed to modify and redistribute the recipe if they | wish, provided they're given permission to do so from the author... `---- http://www.davestechsupport.com/ubuntufaq.html It's quite a good Web page, so it's worth mentioning. Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly: > http://www.davestechsupport.com/ubuntufaq....

Linux Advocacy
I'm not known in cola as a Linux Advocate, but at this time, I'd like to state publicly some things that Microsoft has done lately that have pissed me off. I had a perfectly good way of entering my password at logon by cuting & pasting it from the screen with the mouse. To me anyway, this seemed more secure than allowing some key logger or other spyware to have easy access to the logon password. It also allowed much more elaborate passwords. 1. Microsoft in it's infinite Wisdom has Removed the ability to do this in the latest SP for W2K, the "feature" Microsoft ha...

Linux!! Linux!!
From http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.misc/about This month 16 t...@invalid.invalid 15 ahlstr...@launchmodem.com 14 goldee_loxnbag...@gmail.com 10 jhas...@newsguy.com 9 mil...@yoyo.org 9 hel...@deepsoft.com 9 hadronqu...@gmail.com 8 ronb02nos...@gmail.com 7 secret...@lxny.org 7 ignoramus8...@nospam.8345.invalid All time 5421 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 4508 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 3530 j...@dhh.gt.org 3066 hel...@deepsoft.com 2991 nike_jordan_...@yahoo.com.cn 2651 jdbe...@exit109.com 2474 gra...@visi.com 2216 nikejordangoo...@hotmail.com 1890 rkiesl...@mainmatte...

Where is the Linux Advocacy?
Reading this group it should have been named "linux suicide group." or "Depressed Linux users" or maybe "Windows Advocacy?" It is like every group becomes camping site for the adversaries of the groups subjects. Well I for one have Linux Ubuntu 11.04 and it kicks some serious ass on both Windows and Mac. The Unity GUI is surpassing the other two. It can self-repair and it can be made to change GUI in the upstart or from the shut down menu. When more instances of a program is open in the dock, then the dock will mark how many and when you press the button all inst...

Web resources about - Linux advocacy in real life - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Advocacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Advocacy is a political process by an individual or group which aims to influence decisions within political, economic, and social systems and ...

Advocacy Group To Facebook: Don’t Track Kids
As Facebook considers letting kids younger than 13 create accounts, the Center for Digital Democracy sent a letter to Co-Founder and CEO Mark ...

Open letter to Mark Zuckerberg on Net Neutrality advocacy in India
You have said that “connecting the world is one of the greatest challenges of our generation.” We all agree. We also believe that a connectivity ...

Extole raises $7.6M for social advocacy platform
... Developer Extole today announced that it has raised an additional $7.6 million in funding. Extole, which bills itself as a “social advocacy ...

PP Advocacy Fund MA (@PPAdvocacyMA) on Twitter

All sizes - Design thinking for advocacy - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

YouTube - Ross Mirkarimi ADA / Disability Rights / MOD / ADVOCACY ??? - SF Sheriff - 112712p6 (FINAL) ...
Veröffentlicht am 01.12.2012 So in the end after MUCH explanation, in addition to the CITY AGENCIES' EXPERTS attempt at "HANDLING" me and AFTER ...

Greens' advocacy forces other NSW parties to heed environment
Whichever party forms government after the NSW election, the Greens will be essential in both houses of the State Parliament if the environment ...

Australian advocacy ruined most arguments for a reprieve
&nbsp;I'm fairly unmoved by the executions of two Australian drug smugglers in Indonesia.