Linux Advocacy Opportunity.

Hi.  First off, I'd like to thank the Italians for supplying us a great free
news server.  My condolences to you on these sad days of mourning for the
Pope.

Linux advocates, I am presenting you an opportunity for true Linux advocacy.
Visit the newsgroups "microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion", and
"microsoft.public.vsnet.general".  Here you will find a thread, in which
grown developers almost weep because due to the loss of VB.  They drop tears
knowing they now, collectively, have millions of new legacy VB code in the
world.

If there was ever an opportunity to switch people over to free and open
software, this is it.  These aren't regular users either, they are "Power
Users", and Developers.

Here is but a small sample of the writings in that thread:
QUOTE VB DEVELOPERS:
============
� Stefan  wrote:
� ...
� >
� > I've already purchased Delphi, RealBasic, and PowerBasic and I'm looking
at all of
� > them as well as considering C# (only because it's not MS proprietary) -
those days of
� > naivete are over.  It's definitely a tough decision.  I came from a C++
background as well as
� > Borland's Turbo Pascal so Delphi is no mystery.  The irony of it all is
that a friend convinced me
� > way back when to abandon C++ for RAD VB4 so I rewrote my bread and
butter
� > app in VB.  Ha ha, so now the joke's on me.
� >
� > Oh well, at least there are plenty of viable alternatives and MS will
NEVER again
� > be one of them.
�
� Not to tell you what to do/not do, but aren't you simply changing from
� one proprietary solution to another by any of these?  I don't know much
� about C# but is there any implementation of C# that isn't MS and doesn't
� MS control the language spec?
�

You bet. Unless it can be separated from the .NET environment extensions -
which would likely break
code.

=============

I 'm glad that a few of you still have the energy to formulate the cogent
arguments that unfortunately are destined to fall on deaf ears.  I've given
up
on Microsoft as they have given up on me.  I'll use their tools and their OS
because it's not like I have a choice, but I'll never participate in another
MS
beta anything.  I'll never utter another word in support of MS or any of
their
products for they have forsaken my assets.  Eventually, something will come
along that will move MS into that place occupied by previous giants such as
IBM
and DEC.  I can only hope that that will be sooner and not later.

============

Actually, it looks like I'll probably just return to C/C++ since it
definitely has a standard that's not controlled/owned by MS.

============

>> "Why switch to .NET when Microsoft is not even using it for its
>> applications? This sort of reminds me of MFC too, MFC was good enough
>> for other people's programs but never Microsoft's own."

////The reply from a MS Developer...See the nice response he gets to the
following!

> was not quiet true. We do use .NET and we actually want to use it
> more since it makes developers more productive and resulting code
> shorter, simpler and more secure. As we do use MFC where we feel it
> helps us to increase productivity.

Wow, are you in marketing, as well?

If you _really_ believe that load, I definitely encourage you (again) to
take a look
into the migraton plans for AntiSpyware.

===========

Mikhail Arkhipov (Microsoft) wrote:
> I don't know. Microsoft is a large company and I don't even know
> which team owns the ASW. As far as I can tell the product came with
> purchase of external company (http://www.giantcompany.com) which
> probably had its reasons to use VB6. Maybe the app will be ported to
> .NET in the next development cycle. I have no idea.

You might want to find out.  The answer speaks volumes.

0
mikecoxlinux (652)

Mike Cox wrote:

> [...]
>
>> was not quiet true. We do use .NET and we actually want to use it
>> more since it makes developers more productive and resulting code
>> shorter, simpler and more secure. As we do use MFC where we feel it
>> helps us to increase productivity.
>
> Wow, are you in marketing, as well?
>
> If you _really_ believe that load, I definitely encourage you (again) to
> take a look
> into the migraton plans for AntiSpyware.
>
> ===========
>
> Mikhail Arkhipov (Microsoft) wrote:
>> I don't know. Microsoft is a large company and I don't even know
>> which team owns the ASW. As far as I can tell the product came with
>> purchase of external company (http://www.giantcompany.com) which
>> probably had its reasons to use VB6. Maybe the app will be ported to
>> .NET in the next development cycle. I have no idea.
>

> You might want to find out.  The answer speaks volumes.
Why would anyone use VB?
I tried it years ago and ended up with a 1mb file just for hello world.

0
genomega (28)
4/3/2005 1:24:02 PM
0
dfnsonfsduifb (1191)
4/3/2005 2:11:00 PM
Mike Cox wrote:

> Hi.

"As of April 1, 2005, I will be leaving Usenet forever." - Mike Cox
http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2AB52ECA

Nice to see that you're a man of your word,  Mikey.

--
Tony Sivori

0
TonySivori (195)
4/3/2005 4:47:38 PM
Tony Sivori poked his little head through the XP firewall and said:

> Mike Cox wrote:
>
>> Hi.

> "As of April 1, 2005, I will be leaving Usenet forever." - Mike Cox
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2AB52ECA
>
> Nice to see that you're a man of your word,  Mikey.

Aw, c'mon, Tony.  April 1 is Mike's big day!

--
When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
When all you have is Microsoft software, everything looks like Windows.
Linønut wrote:

> Tony Sivori poked his little head through the XP firewall and said:
>
>> Mike Cox wrote:
>>
>>> Hi.

>> "As of April 1, 2005, I will be leaving Usenet forever." - Mike Cox
>> http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2AB52ECA
>>
>> Nice to see that you're a man of your word,  Mikey.
>
> Aw, c'mon, Tony.  April 1 is Mike's big day!

I thought that every day was April 1 for Mike

marc3224 (24)
4/3/2005 8:46:47 PM
Marc poked his little head through the XP firewall and said:

> Lin�nut wrote:
>
>> Tony Sivori poked his little head through the XP firewall and said:

>>> Nice to see that you're a man of your word,  Mikey.
>>
>> Aw, c'mon, Tony.  April 1 is Mike's big day!
>
> I thought that every day was April 1 for Mike

That deserves a big old billwg LOL!!!

--
When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
When all you have is Microsoft software, everything looks like Windows.
0
iso
4/4/2005 1:33:56 AM
Lin�nutlin�nut wrote:

> Tony Sivori poked his little head through the XP firewall and said:
>
>> Mike Cox wrote:
>>
>>> Hi.

>> will be leaving Usenet forever." - Mike Cox
>> http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2AB52ECA
>>
>> Nice to see that you're a man of your word,  Mikey.
>
> Aw, c'mon, Tony.  April 1 is Mike's big day!

Instead of calling it "April fool" how about "April fud"?

--
Tony Sivori

0
TonySivori (195)
4/4/2005 1:45:58 AM
Mike Cox <mikecoxlinux@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi.  First off, I'd like to thank the Italians for supplying us a great free
> news server.  My condolences to you on these sad days of mourning for the
> Pope.

> Linux advocates, I am presenting you an opportunity for true Linux advocacy.
> Visit the newsgroups "microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion", and
> "microsoft.public.vsnet.general".  Here you will find a thread, in which
> grown developers almost weep because due to the loss of VB.  They drop tears
> knowing they now, collectively, have millions of new legacy VB code in the
> world.

> If there was ever an opportunity to switch people over to free and open
> software, this is it.  These aren't regular users either, they are "Power
> Users", and Developers.

Or, to rephrase that...
"OI! Linux morons, there's a bunch of people over there who need to be
trolled! go for it!.... please? I'm lonely!"

Errrrr, no.
I'm sure now that they've been bitten by microsoft's software redundancy
policy, they might think "hang on, open source languages can't be dumped
like this, I think I'll switch to python" all by themselves.
0
spike1 (8171)