Linux crapware: typing the name of the app won't launch the app

The app is named Firefox.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when you
try to start the app by typing 'Firefox' in a terminal:

http://bayimg.com/LaOfIaADK

The game is named Nexuiz.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when you
try to start the game by typing 'Nexuiz' in a terminal:

http://bayimg.com/lAoFJaADK

If you misspell them by using all lower-case, they launch just fine.

It's ludicrous.  It's indefensible.

It's crapware.

0
nospam2091 (10001)

DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:

> If you misspell them by using all lower-case, they launch just fine.

you must be some sort of genius

0
owl (2215)
5/18/2012 3:04:22 AM
On 5/17/2012 11:04 PM, owl wrote:
> DFS<nospam@dfs.com>  wrote:
>

>> If you misspell them by using all lower-case, they launch just fine.
>
> you must be some sort of genius

Thankyouverymuch

0
nospam2091 (10001)
5/18/2012 3:06:58 AM
On 5/17/12 7:41 PM, in article jp4csj$r9v$1@dont-email.me, "DFS"
<nospam@dfs.com> wrote:

> The app is named Firefox.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when you
> try to start the app by typing 'Firefox' in a terminal:
>
> http://bayimg.com/LaOfIaADK
>

> The game is named Nexuiz.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when you
> try to start the game by typing 'Nexuiz' in a terminal:
>
> http://bayimg.com/lAoFJaADK
>

> If you misspell them by using all lower-case, they launch just fine.
>
> It's ludicrous.  It's indefensible.
>
> It's crapware.

So it figures out what you likely want and does not even offer you an option
to just type "y" to launch it.  Yeah, that is pretty brain-dead.

--
🙈🙉🙊

0
usenet2 (47889)
5/18/2012 4:16:33 AM
Snit <usenet@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:
> On 5/17/12 7:41 PM, in article jp4csj$r9v$1@dont-email.me, "DFS"
> <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:

> > The app is named Firefox.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when you
> > try to start the app by typing 'Firefox' in a terminal:
> >
> > http://bayimg.com/LaOfIaADK
> >

> > The game is named Nexuiz.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when you
> > try to start the game by typing 'Nexuiz' in a terminal:
> >
> > http://bayimg.com/lAoFJaADK
> >

> > If you misspell them by using all lower-case, they launch just fine.
> >
> > It's ludicrous.  It's indefensible.
> >
> > It's crapware.
> >
> So it figures out what you likely want and does not even offer you an option
> to just type "y" to launch it.  Yeah, that is pretty brain-dead.

Doofus makes a joke, and of course assburgers gets in the way of
sint getting it.

0
owl (2215)
5/18/2012 4:30:39 AM
owl wrote:

>Snit <usenet@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:

*plonk*

"Owl" returns, and plays with every stinking troll in sight.

0
chrisv (22840)
5/18/2012 12:12:19 PM
On 5/17/12 9:30 PM, in article nu5aser.u@rooftop.invalid, "owl"
<owl@rooftop.invalid> wrote:

> Snit <usenet@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:
>> On 5/17/12 7:41 PM, in article jp4csj$r9v$1@dont-email.me, "DFS"
>> <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:
>
>>> The app is named Firefox.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when you
>>> try to start the app by typing 'Firefox' in a terminal:
>>>
>>> http://bayimg.com/LaOfIaADK
>>>

>>> The game is named Nexuiz.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when you
>>> try to start the game by typing 'Nexuiz' in a terminal:
>>>
>>> http://bayimg.com/lAoFJaADK
>>>

>>> If you misspell them by using all lower-case, they launch just fine.
>>>
>>> It's ludicrous.  It's indefensible.
>>>
>>> It's crapware.
>>>
>> So it figures out what you likely want and does not even offer you an option
>> to just type "y" to launch it.  Yeah, that is pretty brain-dead.
>
> Doofus makes a joke, and of course assburgers gets in the way of
> sint getting it.

The point is the UI there is bad.  No joke.  Got it?

--
🙈🙉🙊

0
usenet2 (47889)
5/18/2012 1:27:07 PM
On 5/18/12 5:12 AM, in article 14fcr7pjsf33noom3krj2n0f123d1v5865@4ax.com,
"chrisv" <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> owl wrote:
>
>> Snit <usenet@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:
>
> *plonk*
>
> "Owl" returns, and plays with every stinking troll in sight.

The herd: running from others as fast as they can, even just others who
speak to those that have proved them wrong.

Such fear in them.

--
🙈🙉🙊

0
usenet2 (47889)
5/18/2012 1:38:57 PM
On Thu, 17 May 2012 22:41:22 -0400, DFS wrote:

> The app is named Firefox.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when you
> try to start the app by typing 'Firefox' in a terminal:
>
> http://bayimg.com/LaOfIaADK
>

> The game is named Nexuiz.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when you
> try to start the game by typing 'Nexuiz' in a terminal:
>
> http://bayimg.com/lAoFJaADK
>

> If you misspell them by using all lower-case, they launch just fine.
>
> It's ludicrous.  It's indefensible.
>
> It's crapware.

Welcome to Linux where you can easily install programs but are
unable to launch them after the install.
0
frankfoster50 (6788)
5/18/2012 1:51:04 PM
On 5/18/12 6:51 AM, in article 11jnh7qp05383.13ljqwy61h79m$.dlg@40tude.net,
"Foster" <frankfoster50@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 May 2012 22:41:22 -0400, DFS wrote:
>
>> The app is named Firefox.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when you
>> try to start the app by typing 'Firefox' in a terminal:
>>
>> http://bayimg.com/LaOfIaADK
>>

>> The game is named Nexuiz.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when you
>> try to start the game by typing 'Nexuiz' in a terminal:
>>
>> http://bayimg.com/lAoFJaADK
>>

>> If you misspell them by using all lower-case, they launch just fine.
>>
>> It's ludicrous.  It's indefensible.
>>
>> It's crapware.
>
> Welcome to Linux where you can easily install programs but are
> unable to launch them after the install.

Ah, the benefits of the command line.  :)

--
🙈🙉🙊

0
usenet2 (47889)
5/18/2012 2:11:06 PM
Turd "chrisv" wrote:

> owl wrote:
>
>>Snit <usenet@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:
>
> *plonk*
>
> "Owl" returns, and plays with every stinking troll in sight.

I bet "Owl" gives a rats ass whether a turd like you plonks him or not.
lol Turd chrisv has some kind of delusion that people are impressed when it
shouts *PLONK*, bwahahahaaah!, such idiocy!

0
Henk_Ingrid (247)
5/18/2012 4:31:44 PM
On 5/18/2012 12:31 PM, Ingrid & Henk wrote:
> Turd "chrisv" wrote:
>
>> owl wrote:
>>
>>> Snit <usenet@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:
>>
>> *plonk*
>>
>> "Owl" returns, and plays with every stinking troll in sight.
>>

> I bet "Owl" gives a rats ass whether a turd like you plonks him or not.
> lol Turd chrisv has some kind of delusion that people are impressed when
> it shouts *PLONK*, bwahahahaaah!, such idiocy!

owl knows exactly what kind of stinking idiot chrisv is.

0
nospam2091 (10001)
5/18/2012 4:34:14 PM
DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:

> The app is named Firefox.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when
> you try to start the app by typing 'Firefox' in a terminal:
>
> http://bayimg.com/LaOfIaADK
>

> The game is named Nexuiz.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when
> you try to start the game by typing 'Nexuiz' in a terminal:
>
> http://bayimg.com/lAoFJaADK
>

> If you misspell them by using all lower-case, they launch just fine.
>
> It's ludicrous.  It's indefensible.
>
> It's crapware.

Come on ;)

0
MelissA
5/18/2012 7:34:55 PM
On 5/18/2012 3:34 PM, MelissA wrote:
> On Thu, 17 May 2012 22:41:22 -0400
> DFS<nospam@dfs.com>  wrote:
>
>> The app is named Firefox.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when
>> you try to start the app by typing 'Firefox' in a terminal:
>>
>> http://bayimg.com/LaOfIaADK
>>

>> The game is named Nexuiz.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when
>> you try to start the game by typing 'Nexuiz' in a terminal:
>>
>> http://bayimg.com/lAoFJaADK
>>

>> If you misspell them by using all lower-case, they launch just fine.
>>
>> It's ludicrous.  It's indefensible.
>>
>> It's crapware.
>>

> Come on ;)

Where we going?

Windows can handle it: Firefox, firefox or FIREFOX all launch the app.
Why can't Linux do it?

0
nospam2091 (10001)
5/18/2012 8:56:34 PM
On Fri, 18 May 2012 16:56:34 -0400
DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:

> On 5/18/2012 3:34 PM, MelissA wrote:
> > On Thu, 17 May 2012 22:41:22 -0400
> > DFS<nospam@dfs.com>  wrote:
> >
> >> The app is named Firefox.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when
> >> you try to start the app by typing 'Firefox' in a terminal:
> >>
> >> http://bayimg.com/LaOfIaADK
> >>

> >> The game is named Nexuiz.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when
> >> you try to start the game by typing 'Nexuiz' in a terminal:
> >>
> >> http://bayimg.com/lAoFJaADK
> >>

> >> If you misspell them by using all lower-case, they launch just
> >> fine.
> >>
> >> It's ludicrous.  It's indefensible.
> >>
> >> It's crapware.
> >>

> > Come on ;)
>
> Where we going?
>
> Windows can handle it: Firefox, firefox or FIREFOX all launch the
> app. Why can't Linux do it?

I think that windows is not case sensitive by default ...

0
MelissA
5/18/2012 9:04:50 PM
Here is a facsimile from MelissA who, on 18/5/2012 20:34, wrote:

> On Thu, 17 May 2012 22:41:22 -0400
> DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:
>
>> The app is named Firefox.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when
>> you try to start the app by typing 'Firefox' in a terminal:
>>
>> http://bayimg.com/LaOfIaADK

>> The game is named Nexuiz.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when
>> you try to start the game by typing 'Nexuiz' in a terminal:
>>
>> http://bayimg.com/lAoFJaADK
>>

>> If you misspell them by using all lower-case, they launch just fine.
>>
>> It's ludicrous.  It's indefensible.
>>
>> It's crapware.
>>

> Come on ;)

DooFux showing he hasn't a clue about Linux command lines.
If the dimwit wanted to lauch Firefox, you can use either 'firefox %u'
or just 'firefox'. Same for nexuiz.

--
BorgWave 3.14: Your taglines have been assimilated

I think we blew it!
-- Robert E. Lee after Gettysburg.--
0
wp2061 (3218)
5/18/2012 10:06:14 PM
On Fri, 18 May 2012 12:34:14 -0400, DFS wrote:

> On 5/18/2012 12:31 PM, Ingrid & Henk wrote:
>> Turd "chrisv" wrote:

>>> *plonk*
>>>
>>> "Owl" returns, and plays with every stinking troll in sight.
>>>

>> I bet "Owl" gives a rats ass whether a turd like you plonks him or not.
>> lol Turd chrisv has some kind of delusion that people are impressed when
>> it shouts *PLONK*, bwahahahaaah!, such idiocy!
>

> owl knows exactly what kind of stinking idiot chrisv is.

Of course he does.
There are some things that transcend the OS wars.
A turd like chrisv and an idiot like 7 are 2 of them.
0
frankfoster50 (6788)
5/19/2012 12:14:26 AM
On Fri, 18 May 2012 23:06:14 +0100, William Poaster wrote:

> Here is a facsimile from MelissA who, on 18/5/2012 20:34, wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 17 May 2012 22:41:22 -0400
>> DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The app is named Firefox.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when
>>> you try to start the app by typing 'Firefox' in a terminal:
>>>
>>> http://bayimg.com/LaOfIaADK
>
>>> The game is named Nexuiz.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when
>>> you try to start the game by typing 'Nexuiz' in a terminal:
>>>
>>> http://bayimg.com/lAoFJaADK
>>>

>>> If you misspell them by using all lower-case, they launch just fine.
>>>
>>> It's ludicrous.  It's indefensible.
>>>
>>> It's crapware.
>>>

>> Come on ;)
>
> DooFux showing he hasn't a clue about Linux command lines.
> If the dimwit wanted to lauch Firefox, you can use either 'firefox %u'

Tell us again how user friendly Linux is, William Poaster.
0
frankfoster50 (6788)
5/19/2012 12:49:21 AM
On 5/18/2012 6:49 PM, Foster wrote:
> On Fri, 18 May 2012 23:06:14 +0100, William Poaster wrote:
>
>> Here is a facsimile from MelissA who, on 18/5/2012 20:34, wrote:

>>> Come on ;)
>>
>> DooFux showing he hasn't a clue about Linux command lines.
>> If the dimwit wanted to lauch Firefox, you can use either 'firefox %u'
>
> Tell us again how user friendly Linux is, William Poaster.

Oh, his explanation was very intuitive to the general public.  :D

0
mist (19747)
5/19/2012 2:29:27 AM
On 5/18/2012 6:06 PM, William Poaster wrote:
> Here is a facsimile from MelissA who, on 18/5/2012 20:34, wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 17 May 2012 22:41:22 -0400
>> DFS<nospam@dfs.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> The app is named Firefox.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when
>>> you try to start the app by typing 'Firefox' in a terminal:
>>>
>>> http://bayimg.com/LaOfIaADK
>
>>> The game is named Nexuiz.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when
>>> you try to start the game by typing 'Nexuiz' in a terminal:
>>>
>>> http://bayimg.com/lAoFJaADK
>>>

>>> If you misspell them by using all lower-case, they launch just fine.
>>>
>>> It's ludicrous.  It's indefensible.
>>>
>>> It's crapware.
>>>

>> Come on ;)
>
> DooFux showing he hasn't a clue about Linux command lines.
> If the dimwit wanted to lauch Firefox, you can use either 'firefox %u'
> or just 'firefox'. Same for nexuiz.

But the names are Firefox and Nexuiz.  Why am I forced to misspell the
names for the crapware to start the program?

0
nospam2091 (10001)
5/19/2012 3:23:40 AM
On Fri, 18 May 2012 23:23:40 -0400, DFS wrote:

> On 5/18/2012 6:06 PM, William Poaster wrote:
>> Here is a facsimile from MelissA who, on 18/5/2012 20:34, wrote:

>>> Come on ;)
>>
>> DooFux showing he hasn't a clue about Linux command lines.
>> If the dimwit wanted to lauch Firefox, you can use either 'firefox %u'
>> or just 'firefox'. Same for nexuiz.
>

> But the names are Firefox and Nexuiz.  Why am I forced to misspell the
> names for the crapware to start the program?

Because the developer doesn't actually want you to be able to run
the program because then you would see what a piece of shit it
really is?

Or

So you can be 1337 for figuring it out?
0
frankfoster50 (6788)
5/19/2012 1:19:50 PM
On Thursday, May 17, 2012 10:41:22 PM UTC-4, DFS wrote:
> The app is named Firefox.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when you=
=20
> try to start the app by typing 'Firefox' in a terminal:

> http://bayimg.com/LaOfIaADK

linux and unix are case sensitive.  Most commands are all lowercase by conv=
ention.

Here's what I got with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6

<quote>
[rexbalrd@oc4658103854 ~]$ firefox
failed to create drawable
[rexbalrd@oc4658103854 ~]$ ^C
[rexbalrd@oc4658103854 ~]$=20
</quote>

the ^C was to kill the extra Firefox window that opened up.

Here's the upper case version:

<quote>
[rexbalrd@oc4658103854 ~]$ Firefox
Command not found. Similar command is: 'firefox'
[rexbalrd@oc4658103854 ~]$=20
</quote>

Historically, early UNIX systems had to run on upper-case only terminals.  =
IF a user logged in using an uppercase name and an all uppercase password, =
UNIX would assume that you couldn't do lowercase.  To accomodate you, UNIX =
would convert all upper case characters to lower case.  If you wanted an up=
percase letter you would precede it with a backslash, which forces a litera=
l.

Linux has this feature too, because Linux is api compatible with UNIX and s=
hell is a form of API.

0
rex.ballard (3732)
5/19/2012 4:36:49 PM
On 2012-05-18, William Poaster <wp@induh-vidual.net> wrote:
> Here is a facsimile from MelissA who, on 18/5/2012 20:34, wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 17 May 2012 22:41:22 -0400
>> DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The app is named Firefox.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when
>>> you try to start the app by typing 'Firefox' in a terminal:
>>>
>>> http://bayimg.com/LaOfIaADK
>
>>> The game is named Nexuiz.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when
>>> you try to start the game by typing 'Nexuiz' in a terminal:
>>>
>>> http://bayimg.com/lAoFJaADK
>>>

>>> If you misspell them by using all lower-case, they launch just fine.
>>>
>>> It's ludicrous.  It's indefensible.
>>>
>>> It's crapware.
>>>

>> Come on ;)
>
> DooFux showing he hasn't a clue about Linux command lines.
> If the dimwit wanted to lauch Firefox, you can use either 'firefox %u'
> or just 'firefox'. Same for nexuiz.

   There is a REASON that most stuff on Unix is lower case.

   It actually takes some extra effort to type any caps. It certainly takes
more effort to type something in initcaps. If you treating firefox like a
proper noun and capitalizing it then you are GOING TO EXTRA TROUBLE to make
it fail.

--
    ...of course if you are forced against your will to use Windows in    |||
the day time your bound to have a lot to vent about in the evening.      / | \
On 2012-05-19, Rex Ballard <rex.ballard@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, May 17, 2012 10:41:22 PM UTC-4, DFS wrote:
>> The app is named Firefox.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when you
>> try to start the app by typing 'Firefox' in a terminal:
>
>> http://bayimg.com/LaOfIaADK
>
> linux and unix are case sensitive.  Most commands are all lowercase by convention.
>
> Here's what I got with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
>
><quote>
> [rexbalrd@oc4658103854 ~]$ firefox
> failed to create drawable
> [rexbalrd@oc4658103854 ~]$ ^C
> [rexbalrd@oc4658103854 ~]$
></quote>
>
> the ^C was to kill the extra Firefox window that opened up.
>
> Here's the upper case version:
>
><quote>
> [rexbalrd@oc4658103854 ~]$ Firefox
> Command not found. Similar command is: 'firefox'
> [rexbalrd@oc4658103854 ~]$
></quote>

   It's even better on Ubuntu. That search will display things that you can
install if they are not present. So it won't just crap out on you, it will
tell you what you need to do to install the command you are looking for.

   Handy when your tool is part of some package and there's not an obvious
connnection between the name of the tool and the package it's a part of.

[deletia]

--
    ...of course if you are forced against your will to use Windows in    |||
the day time your bound to have a lot to vent about in the evening.      / | \
0
jedi (14754)
5/23/2012 9:08:24 PM
On 5/23/2012 3:06 PM, JEDIDIAH wrote:
> On 2012-05-18, William Poaster<wp@induh-vidual.net>  wrote:
>> Here is a facsimile from MelissA who, on 18/5/2012 20:34, wrote:

>>> Come on ;)
>>
>> DooFux showing he hasn't a clue about Linux command lines.
>> If the dimwit wanted to lauch Firefox, you can use either 'firefox %u'
>> or just 'firefox'. Same for nexuiz.
>
>     There is a REASON that most stuff on Unix is lower case.
>
>     It actually takes some extra effort to type any caps. It certainly takes
> more effort to type something in initcaps. If you treating firefox like a
> proper noun and capitalizing it then you are GOING TO EXTRA TROUBLE to make
> it fail.

So lets hear the reason that stuff on Unix is lower case.

0
mist (19747)
5/23/2012 10:45:46 PM
On 5/18/2012 6:06 PM, William Poaster wrote:
> Here is a facsimile from MelissA who, on 18/5/2012 20:34, wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 17 May 2012 22:41:22 -0400
>> DFS<nospam@dfs.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> The app is named Firefox.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when
>>> you try to start the app by typing 'Firefox' in a terminal:
>>>
>>> http://bayimg.com/LaOfIaADK
>
>>> The game is named Nexuiz.  Here's what happens in Ubuntu 12.04 when
>>> you try to start the game by typing 'Nexuiz' in a terminal:
>>>
>>> http://bayimg.com/lAoFJaADK
>>>

>>> If you misspell them by using all lower-case, they launch just fine.
>>>
>>> It's ludicrous.  It's indefensible.
>>>
>>> It's crapware.
>>>

>> Come on ;)
>
> DooFux showing he hasn't a clue about Linux command lines.
> If the dimwit wanted to lauch Firefox, you can use either 'firefox %u'
> or just 'firefox'. Same for nexuiz.

Why would I have to misspell the name of the app or type in nonsensical
characters to launch it?

0
nospam2091 (10001)
5/24/2012 12:34:48 AM
On Wed, 23 May 2012 20:34:48 -0400, DFS wrote:

> On 5/18/2012 6:06 PM, William Poaster wrote:
>> Here is a facsimile from MelissA who, on 18/5/2012 20:34, wrote:

>>> Come on ;)
>>
>> DooFux showing he hasn't a clue about Linux command lines.
>> If the dimwit wanted to lauch Firefox, you can use either 'firefox %u'
>> or just 'firefox'. Same for nexuiz.
>

> Why would I have to misspell the name of the app or type in nonsensical
> characters to launch it?

For the challenge!
This way you can brag about being so 1337 !
0
frankfoster50 (6788)
5/24/2012 12:38:34 AM
On 5/23/2012 6:38 PM, Foster wrote:
> On Wed, 23 May 2012 20:34:48 -0400, DFS wrote:

>>> DooFux showing he hasn't a clue about Linux command lines.
>>> If the dimwit wanted to lauch Firefox, you can use either 'firefox %u'
>>> or just 'firefox'. Same for nexuiz.
>>

>> Why would I have to misspell the name of the app or type in nonsensical
>> characters to launch it?
>
> For the challenge!
> This way you can brag about being so 1337 !

What I need to do is get 7 to invent a new linux input machine, called a
dicktaphone.  :D
Then ol' Dumb willie can just pick up his dicktaphone and talk in his
commands.

0
mist (19747)
5/24/2012 2:45:04 AM
On Wed, 23 May 2012 20:45:04 -0600, GreyCloud wrote:

> On 5/23/2012 6:38 PM, Foster wrote:

>>> Why would I have to misspell the name of the app or type in nonsensical
>>> characters to launch it?
>>
>> For the challenge!
>> This way you can brag about being so 1337 !
>
> What I need to do is get 7 to invent a new linux input machine, called a
> dicktaphone.  :D
> Then ol' Dumb willie can just pick up his dicktaphone and talk in his
> commands.

Yea.

William Poaster is a regular "Dickless Tracy" alright.
0
frankfoster50 (6788)
5/24/2012 2:48:59 AM
On 5/23/2012 8:38 PM, Foster wrote:
> On Wed, 23 May 2012 20:34:48 -0400, DFS wrote:

>>> DooFux showing he hasn't a clue about Linux command lines.
>>> If the dimwit wanted to lauch Firefox, you can use either 'firefox %u'
>>> or just 'firefox'. Same for nexuiz.
>>

>> Why would I have to misspell the name of the app or type in nonsensical
>> characters to launch it?
>
> For the challenge!
> This way you can brag about being so 1337 !

1337 quiz!  Decipher:

Linux #surA -s-S

Answer below...

Linux pounds your ass!

0
nospam2091 (10001)

Linux crapware: 1 day uptime... if you don't run any apps
"...maximum uptime was still only a day or so (if I turned the computer on, but didn't start any applications.)" #682 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?s=e5e5fa768e57b749713433c9c100dce1&t=1135055&highlight=freeze&page=69 Linux just works Linux is reliable Linux is stable Microsoft is doomed On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 23:35:36 -0400, DFS wrote: > "...maximum uptime was still only a day or so (if I turned the computer > on, but didn't start any applications.)" > > #682 at > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? s=e5e5fa768e57b74...

SARCASTIC POST: Linux Can't Run This 'Killer' App -- WHY ?!?
<sarcasm and irony> After 2 solid years of Linvocacy -- I have met my match... This critical piece of software: http://www.virtuagirls.com/ DOES NOT RUN ON LINUX !?!!? Only Windos users can: Run Virtual Girl 2, "a shareware program featuring dancers on your desktop. They say hi in the morning, remind you of your appointments and dance for you whenever you want them to. We mean right on the desktop. dancers basically live on the tool bar. They are in front of any other application and you can enjoy them while using your computer normally." Linux will never catch up to W...

Android Linux piracy so bad they won't even pay $0.99 for an app
"Last week, developer Madfinger Games said that it made its recent zombie FPS, Dead Trigger, a free-to-play game because of the "unbelievably high" piracy on Android. It was originally priced at a mere $0.99, a price point thought low enough to attract business. But the ratio of pirated versions outnumbered the paid copies, so the company decided to offer it for free. Either way, the developer will still make money thanks to in-game purchases. As if striking a nerve, another developer has come forth, saying that there's no money to be made on the Android platform because of the rampant piracy issue. He even goes so far as to saying that Android is designed for piracy from the ground up because users can simply enable non-Market apps, copy the apk file onto the device, install it, and then run it without any kind of DRM. Thus, pirating Android apps is easy because the platform was built with an open mentality." http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Android-Piracy-DRM-Dead-Trigger-Google-PLAY,16497.html On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 20:04:58 -0400, DFS wrote: > "Last week, developer Madfinger Games said that it made its recent > zombie FPS, Dead Trigger, a free-to-play game because of the > "unbelievably high" piracy on Android. It was originally priced at a > mere $0.99, a price point thought low enough to attract business. But > the ratio of pirated versions outnumbered the paid copies, so...

Installer.app launches but won't do anything - OS X 10.2.6
My problem is that any installer / package that relies on Installer.app doesn't work. For example, the Norton 9.0 installer, and the OS X 10.2.8 Combo updater, both of which rely on installer.app, have the same problem, as follows: 1. I Double-click the installer (any installer that uses Apple's Installer.app.) "Installer" opens fine, after a brief spining beachball. 2. Nothing happens! The menus in Installer are accessible and work normally, the program doesn't appear to hang or anything lke that, it just doesn't DO anything further. No license agreements, notices, ...

[News] [Linux] Dell's Linux Won't Emulate Windows, Might Go Beyond the US in Future
Ubuntu Founder: No Emulation Software for Dell Systems ,----[ Quote ] | "While Linux is an alternative to Windows, it is not cheap Windows. Linux | has its own strengths, and users should want it because of those | strengths and not because it's a cheap copy of Windows," he said. `---- http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2125848,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616 Dell explains Linux delays ,----[ Quote ] | "We are adjusting the roadmap for the rest of the world, but this has | just not been announced yet," Greffier added. `---- http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000...

Linux newbee
Hi everybody, You all seem like very nice and helpful people here. Perhaps somebody can help me to get linux running on my new computer. I've tried about a dozen of the most popular distros on distrowatch and some worked, some didn't and some I couldn't figure out (Debian and Gentoo for example). I'm not sure what to do next. The "basic stuff" works okay. Stuff like the motherboard, CPU, built in networking and basic video. But most of my hardware tends to be very high end and it doesn't seem to work correctly. Here's a hardware list. ....Promise Sup...

student version of linux won't install on 64bit linux
I cannot install my student version of linux Matlab on my 64bit Ubuntu 7.1 machine , any hints ??? ...

Linux Torvalds
http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB119256930870361011-h5YkJct6Cb8FirXZIXTXlC0RBvg_20071116.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top How Far Behind Is Linux? October 17, 2007; Page B1 If some of Linus Torvalds's own family members back in Finland don't use Linux, what hope is there for the rest of us? On Oct 19, 1:53 pm, Sinister Midget <sinister.mid...@yahoo.com> wrote: > http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB119256930870361011-h5YkJct6Cb8... > > How Far Behind Is Linux? > October 17, 2007; Page B1 > > If some of Linus Torvalds's own family members back in Finl...

O.T. What's the right forum to ask general purpose linux Q's ==> Like "How do I launch an internet browser from a linux box?"
I am just getting into linux. Sorry for the newbie Q's. But I really do need to stop running back 'n forth between linux & window$ box just to google for something when I need to. I'm ready to make the transition from windoze to linux and need to learn how to do the routine tasks I'm already familiar with in window$ platform. I've been told this is the group for security questions only. I understand that, and will make every effort to air my Q's in the appropriate groups. Thank-you. On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:49:36 -0500, MLH wrote: > I am just getti...

VB6 app output won't print until app is closed
I don't have the source code. The program was developed by a buddy on another continent. I print a form full of text from VB6 - maybe about 1200 characters. I can see the 286 bytes in the print queue but the document doesn't print and no data has been sent to the printer. I quit the application and the whole document is released! The application is using .EndDoc in the appropriate place. I'm running on Win98. The app seems to run fine on W2k and on anything my buddy tests it on. Any ideas? ...

Why the Linux Desktop Just Won't Work! and why Linux depresses me.
Why having Linux on the desktop of Aunt Tille is a myth. I've had a few trials running over last year, set up at family members. New computer? Let's install Morphix on them (I had used both Gnome and Light installs) and see how far you get. The users weren't very technical, on the contrary even. I regularly went around to their places, updated their boxes and sometimes switched applications (Mozilla for Firebird/Firefox for example). They all gave it their best shot, however at the end they prefered to have Windows back. I didn't drag them into this, and they gave Debian a f...

Linux crapware victim: Mepis8 'collapsed'... webcams don't work on Ubuntu 12.04..."Don't tell me to build a kernel..."
"I need my webcam to work with flash on web pages so that I can speak to family members overseas (Kopete and suchlike). I used mepis8 for years and everything was perfect, my webcams (three different makes), printers and anything else I cared to plug in worked from the off. lovely!! Then mepis8 collapsed suddenly and nothing worked. I tried the newer mepis variants and every other linux distro that I came across to solve the problem, but nothing works. I'm now using ubuntu 12.04, because it's not windows I suppose, but it's far from what I need. Can anybody on here please tell me how to make any one of my webcams work on Ubuntu 12.04 with flash? Don't tell me it's the manufacturer's fault, because they worked on Mepis8. Don't tell me to build a kernel and add some Su (or do or sudo) and add a line et al because it's all gibberish to me. Keep it simple please. Complicated is fine as long as it's step by step or copy and paste. Unfortunately, after about 12 years on linux, I will be driven back to windows if I don't get some help. The Mepis forums used to be excellent for advice because there weren't any bigheads showing off their superior knowledge of linux on it. The Ubuntu forums seem to be the opposite, more than 1000 posts (in two threads) on why they prefer ubuntu to xp, but none of them can help me get my webcam working!!!! So this is the challenge, before ...

PS3: doesn't come with Linux, doesn't even run Linux by default
What other cola claims have been dashed by reality? In fact, you can install on the PS3 any OS that's been designed for it. I don't expect MS to port Vista, but you never know... http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/faq.html Q. What types of "Other OSs" can be installed? A. You can install any system software that is designed to run on PLAYSTATION´┐Ż3. Unfortunately we cannot provide you with specific information about what types of "Other OSs" are available because "Other OS" and the boot loader programs are produced and distributed by third-par...

HELP! Mail.app won't launch
it starts, then crashes. :( I have an ibook G4 running os x v.10.3.8 . . . I ran a virus scan and it was clear. I don't know anything about computers . . . Can you suggest anything?? Thanks, Jane * posted via http://www.mymac.ws jane <janew@sympatico-dot-ca.no-spam.invalid> wrote: > it starts, then crashes. :( > I have an ibook G4 running os x v.10.3.8 . . . > I ran a virus scan and it was clear. I don't know anything about > computers . . . > Can you suggest anything?? Read the crash log? m. PS Did you move Mail.app from its place in /Applications and th...

Can't link linux App in XCode
I'm porting a linux app into XCode and I've got all the source building, but I just can't get the app to link and create an executable. The original gcc command is: gcc -g -o qm list_of_object_files -lm -ldl How to I tell XCode to do the equivalent? I thought placing libm.dylib and libdl.dylib in "Link Binary With Libraries" would do the trick, but they're being ignored. -- A: No. See: Help, I'm <http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html> being held <http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/06/14/quoting> in a .sig Q: Should I include quotations after my reply? factory! In article <idontreadthis56-57E906.18081811042006@netnews.asp.att.net>, Keep it to Usenet please <idontreadthis56@hotmail.com> wrote: > I'm porting a linux app into XCode and I've got all the source > building, but I just can't get the app to link and create an > executable. The original gcc command is: > gcc -g -o qm list_of_object_files -lm -ldl > How to I tell XCode to do the equivalent? I thought placing > libm.dylib and libdl.dylib in "Link Binary With Libraries" would do > the trick, but they're being ignored. On 10.3 and 10.4, libm and libdl are both symlinks to libSystem, which is implicitly linked into your project. In other words, yo...

So Let's Go App For App.. Linux vs Windows vs OSX.
For years I have heard how Linux applications are superior or "equivalents"= to the applications offered on the Windows and OSX platforms. Having used = and currently using Linux I know full well this is not the case and that it= really comes down to the people who support Linux and FOSS having extremel= y low standards. But things do change and I am certainly willing to learn so why not put som= e rubber on the road and discuss the actual facts instead of rhetoric and p= artisan lines. So let's have a thread where we can discuss and compare popular application= s on...

Canonical bribes reporter with free Linux netbook
<quote> Next, Canonical approaches Rory with an offer to try out Ubuntu 9.10 and send him a Dell Inspiron Mini loaded with Karmic Koala. Rory likes the faster startup of the Ubuntu box he received. But that seems to be the only thing he liked. So would I actively seek to install Ubuntu or any other Linux variant on a machine I already owned? To be frank, no, because it would not make my computing life any simpler and more pleasurable than it is now. </quote> http://techie-buzz.com/ubuntu/bbc-breakfast-talk-ubuntu-9-1-karmic-koala.html On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 17:08:18 -0500, Ezekiel wrote: > <quote> > Next, Canonical approaches Rory with an offer to try out Ubuntu 9.10 and > send him a Dell Inspiron Mini loaded with Karmic Koala. Rory likes the > faster startup of the Ubuntu box he received. But that seems to be the > only thing he liked. > > So would I actively seek to install Ubuntu or any other Linux variant on > a machine I already owned? > To be frank, no, because it would not make my computing life any simpler > and more pleasurable than it is now. > > </quote> > > http://techie-buzz.com/ubuntu/bbc-breakfast-talk-ubuntu-9-1-karmic- koala.html Wow... you are really desperate... -- Rick On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 17:08:18 -0500, Ezekiel <zeke@nosuchdomain.com> wrote: ><quote> >Next, Canonical approaches Rory with an offer to try out Ubuntu 9.10 and >send him a Dell Inspiron Min...

[News] Op/Ed: Microsoft Won't/Can't Assault Linux
The fair-weather "friends of Linux" ,----[ Quote ] | I just finished reading John Carroll's article Why Microsoft won't | assault Linux and while I agree with his conclusion, I don't agree | with his reasoning. John opens up suggesting that a "full legal | assault" on Linux would be self-defeating. I don't think so | but I do think that filing suit against RedHat would be an | unnecessary waste of Microsoft's time and money. | | I would like to dispense with his first point: Patents cut both | ways. While this is certainly true, John assumes that there are | powerful "friends of Linux" who would counter-sue Microsoft in a | heartbeat if Microsoft were to use it's patents against RedHat and | he reminds us that: Nobody has more patents than IBM. `---- http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=3924 ...

Don't buy Micoshaft branded hardware
Don't buy Micoshaft branded hardware - it won't work with Linux. Instead buy more generic brands that works with more OSes. Save hours of grind getting things to work by checking web sites for harware compatibility. In particular as Linux is taking over, buy products with Linux compatibility listed. http://hardware4linux.info/ Thats one place where you can check if the hardware you plan buying is safe. Places where Linux is free to download: http://www.livecdlist.com http://www.distrowatch.com http://www.ubuntu.com On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 22:31:41 GMT, 7 wrote: > Don't buy ...

Yahoo are so anti-Linux, they won't even utter its name
I've got a Yahoo email address. I don't actually use it for anything except putting it on forms that demand an email address be supplied (probably so they can sell lists of email addresses to a spammer). Anyway: I logged into Yahoo, as I periodically do, to see if anything interesting had been sent to me, and I noticed that Yahoo lets its members have a free website on Geocities. I thought I'd give it a go, I didn't have anything to do at that moment. I know very little about HTML and site building to I decided to use their Page Builder editor, a WYSIWYG HTML editor for cl...

Linux crapware distro switcheroo victim very frustrated, can't find a single Linux distro which works
"I've really been struggling with distros which just don't work on my computers, no matter how much patience I give them at the command line, and at this point I don't know what else other than Mandriva will make it possible for me to say there really is a Linux distro which works, and really is better than Windows, and that making it so on any PC doesn't need to become your final lifetime mission!" http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=114610 Another soon-to-be ex-Linux user with nightmare memories of long hours struggling at the command line. On Tu...

At first the crapware didn't work, then the crapware did work, now the crapware won't work again
"when i installed fedora9 i could login as root, but had problems with installing updates and my printer did not work, today for some strange reason my updates worked, and after that my printer worked. but now my display is not right, and when i make the change from my user side it does not take. i can not login to the root now.." #8 at http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=202644 Linux just works <doesn't> works <doesn't> .... RonB wrote: > DFS wrote: > >> "when i installed fedora9 i could login as root, but had problems with...

The Problem Isn't Linux, It's The Linux Community...
As a desktop system, Linux is decent. I don't feel it's a polished nor are the applications and hardware support as good *overall* as Windows or OSX, but for many people, Linux is a great value and certainly a decent system. So why am I not posting as a Linux advocate? The short answer is that I don't wish to be associated with the slime that passes for Linux advocates these days. Spend 30 minutes in COLA and you will see what I mean. When was the last time you saw a Linux advocate acknowledge that something other than Linux is superior at some task? Almost never happens. That's because these people are in fact a loosely organized, yet very rabid cult of sorts. They are wired to defend the mother ship, Linux, and will not buck the herd. Yet we have the so called "wintrolls" acknowledging, and in some cases, purchasing Linux based products. Android for one. Linux as a server system for another. Linux in embedded devices as another one. Linux in super computers and clusters is another good use for Linux. So how come the so called "Wintrolls" are able to acknowledge Linux's advantages in certain areas but the Linux community will NEVER ADMIT that Linux isn't a good choice in certain areas, like the desktop. Which brings me to another trait of the Linux "advocate" and that is LIEing for LIEnux. This is where the Linux advocate will simply make up stories about Linux just "working" that are clearly and easily pr...

Web resources about - Linux crapware: typing the name of the app won't launch the app - comp.os.linux.advocacy