The only thing I need now, is to get Evolution working on Slackware, or some
Exchange compatible email client. I hate to lose, but my practical side is
more than ready to give up on this."

#446 at
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1135055&highlight=freeze&page=45

Linux just works
"Ubuntu is perfect for laptops, desktops and servers", www.ubuntu.com

0
nospam11 (18349)

Linux crapware victim: Mepis8 'collapsed'... webcams don't work on Ubuntu 12.04..."Don't tell me to build a kernel..."
"I need my webcam to work with flash on web pages so that I can speak to family members overseas (Kopete and suchlike). I used mepis8 for years and everything was perfect, my webcams (three different makes), printers and anything else I cared to plug in worked from the off. lovely!! Then mepis8 collapsed suddenly and nothing worked. I tried the newer mepis variants and every other linux distro that I came across to solve the problem, but nothing works. I'm now using ubuntu 12.04, because it's not windows I suppose, but it's far from what I need. Can anybody on here please tell me how to make any one of my webcams work on Ubuntu 12.04 with flash? Don't tell me it's the manufacturer's fault, because they worked on Mepis8. Don't tell me to build a kernel and add some Su (or do or sudo) and add a line et al because it's all gibberish to me. Keep it simple please. Complicated is fine as long as it's step by step or copy and paste. Unfortunately, after about 12 years on linux, I will be driven back to windows if I don't get some help. The Mepis forums used to be excellent for advice because there weren't any bigheads showing off their superior knowledge of linux on it. The Ubuntu forums seem to be the opposite, more than 1000 posts (in two threads) on why they prefer ubuntu to xp, but none of them can help me get my webcam working!!!! So this is the challenge, before ...

Crapware victim: "Why can't Linux just work?"
"Why can't Linux just work? Everytime I've installed it for myself or others, there have been problems." http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2069067 It can't "just work" because it's developed by incompetent part-time amateurs who don't care [enough] and don't answer to anyone. That's why it's called hobbyware. ...

Ubuntu linux
Ubuntu linux - "No wonder people don't use Linux" http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=415093 Upgraded now not working correctly. - No wonder people don't use Linux. Anyway I upgraded using the official method, all updates then update manager update distribution. Problems & Bugs 1. Initial boot no window title bars, I have had to enable desktop effects to get them back. 2. Enabling desktop effects box not accessable, cannot get focus, once they are enabled. 3. Desktop effects don't actually work, just gets me the window title bars back 4. The gnome/ubuntu star...

Why aren't cola "advocates" helping the Linux crapware victims?
This guy is really struggling with his Ubuntu shitware, and no cola "advocates" are trying to help: "I can't believe it's taken me two weeks of going demented over crashes and freezes to find this thread. I had no problems under 8.04, but since I upgraded to 9.04, I've had nothing but trouble. I have an Nvidia GeForce 7900 GS, and I originally thought the Nvidia drivers were causing the problem, because removing them completely seemed to fix it, but I've just had yet another crash, and am now unable to boot Ubuntu, even in recovery mode. I also have a Pe...

Linux crapware: "no use to buy good motherboard if I can't use it"
"I have to turn off compiz, to be able to launch thunderbird. It's a shame that I can't have compiz. It's no use to buy good motherboard if we can't use it." #367 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1135055&highlight=freeze&page=37 Linux degrades your standards and ruins your hardware and software computing experience. On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 07:55:08 -0400, DFS wrote: > "I have to turn off compiz, to be able to launch thunderbird. It's a > shame that I can't have compiz. It's no use to buy good motherboard if > we can...

Linux crapware victim wonders: "Can I make Ubuntu 12.10 suck less?"
"Can I Make 12.10 Suck Less? After "upgrading" to 12.10, I no longer have pull-down menus (alacarte) that function. I can use alacarte to edit menus, but I can't find how to invoke the menus. Help?" http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2085954 You can indeed. Remove it from your system and it won't suck at all. On 11/20/2012 12:14 AM, DFS wrote: > "Can I Make 12.10 Suck Less? > > After "upgrading" to 12.10, I no longer have pull-down menus (alacarte) > that function. I can use alacarte to edit menus, but I can't find how to > invoke the menus. > > Help?" > > > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2085954 > > > > You can indeed. Remove it from your system and it won't suck at all. > > Why do you think Ubuntu is the only distro out there? Try bashing OpenSuse or Fedora for a change. On 11/20/2012 12:17 AM, Justin wrote: > On 11/20/2012 12:14 AM, DFS wrote: >> "Can I Make 12.10 Suck Less? >> >> After "upgrading" to 12.10, I no longer have pull-down menus (alacarte) >> that function. I can use alacarte to edit menus, but I can't find how to >> invoke the menus. >> >> Help?" >> >> >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2085954 >> >> >> >> You can indeed. Remove it from your system and it won&...

Ubuntu Nappy victim: "I guess I can't expect much from a free OS"
"Also I hate his that giant ubuntu button reveals the dock when you mouse over it. Constantly while using Chrome in full screen, I would accidentally mouse over it, causing the dock to interrupt mentor 5 seconds. It is incredibly irritating. I don't see any reason at all for the dock to reveal on mouse over like that. I mean you can already push to the left of the screen to reveal it or press the super key. It seems to me that feature was just implemented to irritate users. Seriously. But I guess I can't expect much from a free OS. I suppose they have to implement things to irritate people." #4 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1742521 I think you're imagining things. Colonical insists Ubuntu is "perfect for schools, universities and colleges everywhere" http://www.canonical.com/about-ubuntu On Tue, 03 May 2011 16:33:58 -0400, DFS wrote: > "Also I hate his that giant ubuntu button reveals the dock when you > mouse over it. Constantly while using Chrome in full screen, I would > accidentally mouse over it, causing the dock to interrupt mentor 5 > seconds. It is incredibly irritating. I don't see any reason at all for > the dock to reveal on mouse over like that. I mean you can already push > to the left of the screen to reveal it or press the super key. It seems > to me that feature was just implemented to irritate users. Seriously. > > But I guess I can't expect much ...

Linux doesn't need to be rebooted..."frequent crashes on my ThinkPad with Linux Mint 8 and Ubuntu 10.04"
"I'm still having frequent crashes on my ThinkPad with Linux Mint 8 and Ubuntu 10.04." #920 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1478787&page=92 Try 'compatibility mode'. On 2010-08-27, DFS <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote: > "I'm still having frequent crashes on my ThinkPad with Linux Mint 8 and > Ubuntu 10.04." > > #920 at > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1478787&page=92 > > > > Try 'compatibility mode'. > Typical Win-droid mentality "if something doesn't work I should boot into safe mode". On 2010-08-27, Ibrahim Al-Qassam (Abdelaziz) <IranWillRuleWorld@alibaba.ir> wrote: > Try Windows7. > It actually works unlike Linux Works for what? Making large networks of botnets? Linux has always worked for me for 15 years - maybe those who can't get it to work need to blame their own incompetency instead of blaming the software. Bad carpenter blames his tools. Try Windows7. It actually works unlike Linux On 08/27/2010 01:24 PM, DFS wrote: > "I'm still having frequent crashes on my ThinkPad with Linux Mint 8 and > Ubuntu 10.04." We all know DFS it is you posting all that in their forums. It seems you have no idea about any technical detail to blame... that is why you can only post about crashes. On 08/27/2010 04:34 PM, Ibrahim Al-Qassam (Abdelaziz) wrote: > Linux is shit Ibrahim is troll. On...

Linux crapware victim: "time to go back to Windows...I couldn't live with the crashes"
"time to go back to windows or even try OSX86? i know it angers me too, but i couldn't live with the crashes." #252 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=976287&highlight=freeze&page=26 ...

Ubuntu Lurid crapware: "hard locks...very troubling...Linux is very much flawed...XP/Vista/7 don't crash"
"I installed 10.4.1 fresh on my Thinkpad T510 with Intel HD graphics (not Nvidia). I have random freezes. It happens most of the time after standby. I wake it up I can start typing the unlock password and it freezes. Only hard reset possible after this. Nothing else works. Also sometimes when I leave the laptop unattended for a minute and come back it is frozen. This happened less often then the wakeup bug. I really don't understand how the stability of a distribution like Ubuntu doesn't improve over time. Do they basically start from scratch with every new release? It certainly seems to me to be the case. With every release a couple of bugs disappeared but a couple of new bugs appeared. I test now since 7.10 every release and the quality in terms of bugs has not increased. Feature-wise it is a little better. Still. This situation is very troubling. Somewhere in the development concept of Linux, the kernel, the drivers or simply how distributions are put together, is very much flawed. In know Linux is complex and all but similarly complex projects really evolve over time and get better and better (just to name Windows, OSX, Eclipse). Can somebody explain to me why this isn't the case with Linux/Ubuntu? I don't ask for much. Just no crashes please. With WinXP, Vista and Win7 I didn't have crashes like that running those OSses on about 10 different machines over the years." #929 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=14787...

Ubuntu Lurid crapware: "sound stopped working..video unstable...can't read USB sticks...battery meter inaccurate...shutdown doesn't work"
"Sound - worked then stopped working (just one boot up the controls were gone and no sound came from anywhere), now fixed with the removal of pulse (this is a standard issue with ubuntu since 8.04). still have an issue with going to system->prefs->sound, its just hangs waiting for sound system. Video - Nvidia card but unstable video and no openGL until attention given to correct driver - the standard install looked pretty grim. USB sticks cannot read, get permission denied errors. Battery meter seems wildly inaccurate, claims 7 hours then dies in 2. Shutdown seems to only log me out to the GDM login screen, then i must shutdown from a command line to get it to happen... is this a permission thing? Hardware is a Dell studio XPS laptop, its quite high spec and being Dell pretty standard components, it ran 9.04 fine and I have gone through the compatibility check. Overall impression of this upgrade, not great. I don't honestly think i can rely on this laptop for my work which is a bad sign as i need to work more than i need to tinker getting ubuntu working. I appreciate the efforts of the various developers and the ubuntu team who put this together, but sound and video seem to be issues in every release, yet cloud computing is more important to get into the next LTS. Yes that is a selfish view, but how long do we have to live with 27 competing sound systems and a mexican stale mate on binary video drivers?" ...

Ubuntu Lurid crapware: "most problematic yet...nothing but a headache...won't automount external drives...won't recognize CD/DVD...Firefox drops connectivity"
"I have been using Ubuntu since Intrepid, and this has been by far the most problematic version yet! I had the best luck with Jaunty, but Karmic had the safely remove hardware option. Since Lucid is a "LTS" version I figured that I would be trouble free for 3 years... The first thing that was more of an annoyance was that the min. max., and close buttons were all on the left side. I remember a poll here where something like 75% of the people didn't like it. I was hoping that the Beta version would have gotten rid of it, but they didn't. It's not that big of a deal to switch, but it was annoying having all the other tabs like in Firefox on the right, and windows in VB on the right as well. The volume button at the top of the panel went MIA. It won't automount external hard drives. Won't auto recognise CDs or DVDs. Firefox seems to loose connectivity for no reason. This might be a wireless issue in Lucid itself. There was a thread on it a day or so ago. I had to recompile the Virtual Box Kernel so that it would load. After doing so I had to reconfig everything! Now it gives me some BS that this version is not suitable for production use... It also messed with my Compiz settings (which is nothing new). After burning a disc it says to eject it manually. I was hoping that updates would fix some of these problems, but they only caused more. After doing some updates everything I download is "locked". If Transmission i...

Can't "mk CONF=9pcdisk" --> gives error "rc: #d/0: token '=': syntax error"
I'm in /sys/src/9/pc and I type `mk CONF=9pcdisk` and rc gives me the error "rc: #d/0: token '=': syntax error". Why is this? Just doing mk works fine (I think). Thanks! Plan9 looks very cool... just finished reading through intro (all of it). you're using backquotes, why? that would be `{mk CONF=3D9pcdisk} in rc's syntax. now to compile that kernel the syntax is: % mk 'CONF=3Dpcdisk' now are you sure you want a pcdisk?=20 On Jul 19, 2012, at 6:07 AM, kalaracey@gmail.com wrote: > I'm in /sys/src/9/pc and I type >=20 > `mk CONF=3D9pcdisk` >=20 > and rc gives me the error "rc: #d/0: token '=3D': syntax error". >=20 > Why is this? Just doing mk works fine (I think). >=20 > Thanks! Plan9 looks very cool... just finished reading through intro = (all of it). >=20 --- Federico G. Benavento benavento@gmail.com --0015174757f6baa65404c52b40a6 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 9pcdisk is the output file, not the configuration file. Also you need to quote the = because it is special to rc (assignment). Try mk 'CONF=pcdisk' On 19 July 2012 10:07, <kalaracey@gmail.com> wrote: > > `mk CONF=9pcdisk` --0015174757f6baa65404c52b40a6 Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable 9pcdisk is the output file, not the configuration file. Also you need to qu= ote the =3D becaus...

Crapware victim wants to make his parents Linux believers... but he can't get the Ubuntu shitware to install... LMFAO!
"Trying to install ubuntu 12.04 on my pc but i get this screen. first try'd it with a usb-stick then try'd it with a dvd same problem try'd to instal 11.10 to. i'm trying to convert my parents to use ubuntu instead of windows doing a half-assed job for now but yeah" http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1983553 Hey moron, why don't you show them how much trouble it is to install... that'll bring 'em around to the Linux way... On Mon, 21 May 2012 23:16:10 -0400, DFS wrote: > "Trying to install ubuntu 12.04 on my pc but i get this screen. > first try'd it with a usb-stick then try'd it with a dvd same problem > try'd to instal 11.10 to. > i'm trying to convert my parents to use ubuntu instead of windows > doing a half-assed job for now but yeah" > > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1983553 > > > > Hey moron, why don't you show them how much trouble it is to install... > that'll bring 'em around to the Linux way... After he foists Ubuntu 12.04 on his parents, they will evict him from the basement. That's assuming he can make the crap Linux work in the first place. ...

Linux crapware victim: "Froze again. I give up."
"Froze again. I give up." #580 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1135055&highlight=freeze&page=58 That's some fine slopware you guys are churning out... On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 20:51:07 -0400, DFS wrote: > "Froze again. I give up." > > #580 at > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? t=1135055&highlight=freeze&page=58 > > > > That's some fine slopware you guys are churning out... VISTA FREEZES ON STARTUP <http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistamigration/ thread/bee3fcb7-fbda-4b57-82fd-fb0befda7fcf> "When I boot up sometimes the system freezes and I am forced to do a hard boot. What can I do to fix this. I have done a defrag, and gotten rid of unused programs that are not needed. Any help would be great" That's some fine slopware you guys are churning out... -- Rick Rick wrote: > On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 20:51:07 -0400, DFS wrote: > >> "Froze again. I give up." >> >> #580 at >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? > t=1135055&highlight=freeze&page=58 >> >> >> That's some fine slopware you guys are churning out... > > > VISTA FREEZES ON STARTUP > <http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistamigration/ > thread/bee3fcb7-fbda-4b57-82fd-fb0befda7fcf> > > "When I boot up sometimes the system freezes and I am forced to do a har...

Linux crapware victim distinguishes between "slow" and "instant" freezes
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1135055&highlight=freeze&page=36 LMAO!!! Can the slopware be any messier? Linux just works Linux is reliable Linux is perfect DFS wrote: > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1135055&highlight=freeze&page=36 > > LMAO!!! Can the slopware be any messier? > > Linux just works > Linux is reliable > Linux is perfect > Windows Vista Freezes <http://www.winvistaclub.com/t9.html> If you find that your Windows Vista is freezing or crashing randomly; the reasons can be many, and the solutions many ...

Why aren't you so-called "advocates" discussing Googles' cloud OS based on Linux?
That's coming out in a few months? Unreal. The last reference to Google was about Chrome a month ago by Roy S. You pathetic trolls call yourselves "advocates" of Linux? Where is your advocacy? You pathetic people are just hear to flame each other, let's face it. RL RayLopez99 wrote: > That's coming out in a few months? > > Unreal. The last reference to Google was about Chrome a month ago by > Roy S. > > You pathetic trolls call yourselves "advocates" of Linux? Where is > your advocacy? > > You pathetic people are just hear to flame each other, let's face it. > > RL LOL nothing to talk about it hasn't come out yet On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 08:09:31 -0800, RayLopez99 wrote: > That's coming out in a few months? > > Unreal. The last reference to Google was about Chrome a month ago by > Roy S. > > You pathetic trolls call yourselves "advocates" of Linux? Where is your > advocacy? > > You pathetic people are just hear to flame each other, let's face it. > > RL Let me see - YOU have decided we're not doing advocacy since we're not discussing something that has not yet appeared - and may not EVER appear. ray wrote: > On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 08:09:31 -0800, RayLopez99 wrote: > >> That's coming out in a few months? >> >> Unreal. The last reference to Google was about Chrome a month ago by >> Roy S. &...

Check boxes that can't be checked? Yep
"The few glitches I�ve seen tend to involve dialog boxes: there is a check box but I just can�t get it to check. This might be an application problem or something else, but I attribute it to early versions of software running on 9.10. (Something to do with the latest Gnome?)" http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=4617 "Linux is well-tested by many eyes" On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 10:59:01 -0500, DFS wrote: > "The few glitches I�ve seen tend to involve dialog boxes: there is a check > box but I just can�t get it to check. This might be an application problem > or something else, but I attribute it to early versions of software running > on 9.10. (Something to do with the latest Gnome?)" > > http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=4617 > > > > > "Linux is well-tested by many eyes" It appears that half of these many eyeballs must be legally blind or are too afraid to report problems for fear of backlash from the Linux cult. John Fuhrer wrote: > On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 10:59:01 -0500, DFS wrote: > >> "The few glitches I�ve seen tend to involve dialog boxes: there is a check >> box but I just can�t get it to check. This might be an application problem >> or something else, but I attribute it to early versions of software running >> on 9.10. (Something to do with the latest Gnome?)" >> >> http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=4617 >&...

Frustrated Linux crapware victim asks "Are there any reliable Linux systems?"
"12.04 upgrade crashed; any reliable systems??? I need a reliable system that I can use and have no problems with. Is there a reliable buntu or Linux system????" http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1977859 Of course there are: Linux just works. The "advocates" on cesspool.of.lying.advocates told us so... On Fri, 11 May 2012 01:11:01 -0400, DFS wrote: > "12.04 upgrade crashed; any reliable systems??? > > I need a reliable system that I can use and have no problems with. Is > there a reliable buntu or Linux system????" > > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1977859 > > > > Of course there are: Linux just works. The "advocates" on > cesspool.of.lying.advocates told us so... The short answer is no. There are some versions of Linux that are more reliable than others but at least for desktop Linux they all suck. Some just suck less. On 5/10/2012 11:11 PM, DFS wrote: > "12.04 upgrade crashed; any reliable systems??? > > I need a reliable system that I can use and have no problems with. Is > there a reliable buntu or Linux system????" > > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1977859 > > > > Of course there are: Linux just works. The "advocates" on > cesspool.of.lying.advocates told us so... > LOL!! If they wanted any linux to install and get support, they should either pay money to RedHat or Novell. That is if they r...

Ubuntu crapware: "not ready for new Linux users"
"By the way, in regards to my rant above, I have read enough posts in this thread to see that a LOT of people have had problems installing and/or using Lucid. When the polls show that [U]no one[U] had any problems installing or using a version of Ubuntu, then the OS is ready for new Linux users. A run-of-the-mill former Windows user is NOT going to go through what we long-time Linux user go through to make these installs work right." #877 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1465548&page=88 Linux sheeple don't care about polls or install hassle...

Ubuntu Lurid crapware: "disappointed...no faith in Ubuntu as mainstream OS... Windows XP doesn't crash"
"This is the relevant bug, submitted 26th May: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/585765 Three months later and the importance is 'undecided'!!!! I take on board about this being open source software but Ubuntu has always promoted itself as Linux for the masses. It is meant to 'just work'. The lack of acknowledgement or effort to fix this critical bug has disappointed me and makes it impossible to have faith in Ubuntu as a mainstream OS. Priorities need to be examined with stability made paramount. I switched to PCLinusOS a few weeks ago and...

Ubuntu Lurid crapware: "I'm going back to Windows if I can't get this sorted soon"
"Ubuntu will not let me change the screen resolution for some reason. I had two monitors connected to my system which fixed the problem but I have to give it back to the owner. So there is something else going on that I don't know how to fix. I checked the version before I posted and it shows Gnome 2.4 even after showing the 10.4 updates were downloading. Guess I'm going back to Windows if I can't get this sorted soon." #3 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1541458 Lusotec, I'm thinking it's a hardware issue. "Whatever the...

[OT] Nit: please don't user "it's" unless you can substitute "it is" without changing your inteded meaning.
Typos happen to all of us, but in case you hadn't realized what "it's" is a contraction for ("it is"), now you do, and you can save yourself further embarrassment (assuming you care ;-). If your friends won't tell you, who will ;-) Write the contraction "it's" only when you want its meaning to be "it is," otherwise it's wrong ;-) OTOH, how does one punctuate the posessive of a word per se? E.g., the first letter of "it" is "i", but can one write that as "it"'s first letter is "i," or it...

"Heroes" again, or "Linux in the Wild" or "Linux on TV", this time with screenshots
Allrighty, doubters and wintrolls. I've posted some screen shots from the KDE appearance on NBC's new series "Heroes" http://www.newtnotes.com/?itemid=189&catid=3 Linux in the wild. What more proof do you need? later... -- JDS | jeffrey@go.away.com | http://www.newtnotes.com DJMBS | http://newtnotes.com/doctor-jeff-master-brainsurgeon/ JDS wrote: > Allrighty, doubters and wintrolls. I've posted some screen shots from the > KDE appearance on NBC's new series "Heroes" > > http://www.newtnotes.com/?itemid=189&catid=3 ...

Web resources about - Linux crapware victim: "can't leave house without recovery CD... more than ready to give up on this" Ubuntu shitware - comp.os.linux.advocacy