Linux crapware victim: Mepis8 'collapsed'... webcams don't work on Ubuntu 12.04..."Don't tell me to build a kernel..."

"I need my webcam to work with flash on web pages so that I can speak to
family members overseas (Kopete and suchlike).

  I used mepis8 for years and everything was perfect, my webcams (three
different makes), printers and anything else I cared to plug in worked
from the off. lovely!!

  Then mepis8 collapsed suddenly and nothing worked. I tried the newer
mepis variants and every other linux distro that I came across to solve
the problem, but nothing works.

  I'm now using ubuntu 12.04, because it's not windows I suppose, but
it's far from what I need.

  Can anybody on here please tell me how to make any one of my webcams
work on Ubuntu 12.04 with flash? Don't tell me it's the manufacturer's
fault, because they worked on Mepis8. Don't tell me to build a kernel
and add some Su (or do or sudo) and add a line et al because it's all
gibberish to me. Keep it simple please. Complicated is fine as long as
it's step by step or copy and paste.

  Unfortunately, after about 12 years on linux, I will be driven back to
windows if I don't get some help.

  The Mepis forums used to be excellent for advice because there weren't
any bigheads showing off their superior knowledge of linux on it. The
Ubuntu forums seem to be the opposite, more than 1000 posts (in two
threads) on why they prefer ubuntu to xp, but none of them can help me
get my webcam working!!!!

  So this is the challenge, before I give up completely. Tell me how to
get my webcam working with Ubuntu 12.04 on web pages with flash. If not
with 12.04, then with any other distro.

  I won't hold my breath.

  Thank you."

Hadn't you heard - building a kernel is half the fun of using the hobbyware.

0
nospam2091 (10001)

Steve Jobs

Ubuntu Lurid crapware: "if it works, you're one of the lucky ones... don't make any changes whatsoever"
"If you have a machine that Ubuntu 10.04 actually works on, then you should get plenty of use out of it, congrats, you are one of the lucky ones, just whatever you do, don't change any hardware or anything else without first backing up everything on any and all partitions and OS'es installed on said computer. If Ubuntu won't work on your machine...well...try all the fixes if you want, or read the thousands of posts on the subject and come to the conscious decision to try something else, plenty more Linux OS'es out there. But this one is hit-or-miss for now...

Ubuntu Lurid crapware: "random freezes...get new kernel...now wireless won't work...drivers won't activate"
"Darnit. I've been having the same problems with ubuntu just not responding. I tried updating to the latest kernel, did it but now my wireless won't work. And the drivers won't active. I'm wondering if this problem is happening while I'm running transmission.... If not I hope they release the fix in 10.04.1" #604 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1478787&page=61 Keep hope alive! What you're experiencing is the result of low pay, laziness and apathy, traits common amongst Linux "developers". ...

I don't work for IBM and I don't make promises I can't deliver on
I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they have on the Internet now. I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. Robert. On 8/12/2011 11:24 PM, Robert Myers wrote: > I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they > have on the Internet now. > > I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. > > Robert. I don't work for IBM (anymore) either. If you are talking about the death of Blue Waters, I don't believe they said they couldn't deliver. They said they chose not to because they would lose a bunch of money on the project since it turned out to cost a lot more than the initial guess. And I guess Ben chose not to print some more to pay for it. On Aug 24, 11:17=A0pm, Del Cecchi <delcec...@gmail.com> wrote: > On 8/12/2011 11:24 PM, Robert Myers wrote: > > > I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they > > have on the Internet now. > > > I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. > > > Robert. > > I don't work for IBM (anymore) either. =A0If you are talking about the > death of Blue Waters, I don't believe they said they couldn't deliver. > They said they chose not to because they would lose a bunch of money on > the project since it turned out to cost a lot more than the initial guess= .. > > And I guess Ben chose not to print some mor...

Microsoft to Linux: "Don't run, you'll only die tired."
Forget Linux. Try FreeBSD. Is that a social diesease? The racist, liar and software thief Ana Thema (flatfish) nymshifted: < snip flatfish droppings > You lately nymshifted to Abbie Diaz, Aftab Singh, Allen Cusimano, Allie Perkins, Allison Juergans, allison_hunt1969, Ana Thema, Anna Banger, anonymous, Archie, Archie Moss Bunker, Archie Watermann, Baba Booey, Babu Singh, Bill Thomson, bill.gates.loves.me, bison, Bjarne Jensen, BklynBoy, bonobo magilla, Boyce Mabri, BSEE, Buster, Charles LeGrand, Charlie, Choppers McGee, Chris Thomas, Christine Abernathy, Claire Lynn, Clippy, Colli...

Ubuntu linux
Ubuntu linux - "No wonder people don't use Linux" http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=415093 Upgraded now not working correctly. - No wonder people don't use Linux. Anyway I upgraded using the official method, all updates then update manager update distribution. Problems & Bugs 1. Initial boot no window title bars, I have had to enable desktop effects to get them back. 2. Enabling desktop effects box not accessable, cannot get focus, once they are enabled. 3. Desktop effects don't actually work, just gets me the window title bars back 4. The gnome/ubuntu star...

"Even a 'genius' can't use Linux"
Or so the "genius" WinTrolls would have you believe. I finally broke down and bought a $10, 64MB nVidia MX440 video card to replace my onboard Intel graphics chip. (Yeah, I'm a big spender.) So how hard was that to set it up in Linux? I've done it twice (and I'm going to get one for the CentOS box as well). In VectorLinux I had to run VASM (VectorLinux Administration and System Menu) in root and set up X Windows. (VASM is used for just about any change in VectorLinux.) It asked if I wanted to load the nVidia proprietary drivers, I clicked yes, and watc...

AOL 9.0 don't do it just don't . Don't even think of it.
I had 8.0, and it ran fine. I downloaded 9.0 and that was the end of my computer never having a problem. 3 years and no problems. 1 week with AOL 9.0 and I've had 27 error messages , sign offs and other problems. AOL was no help. They can't even admit it has a problem. So I had to REFORMAT MY HARD DRIVE AND INSTALL ALL MY PROGRAMS AND ALL MY SAVED FILES. Needless to say I no longer have AOL at all. Reformat and get rid of it. ...

Ubuntu Lurid crapware: "sound stopped working..video unstable...can't read USB sticks...battery meter inaccurate...shutdown doesn't work"
"Sound - worked then stopped working (just one boot up the controls were gone and no sound came from anywhere), now fixed with the removal of pulse (this is a standard issue with ubuntu since 8.04). still have an issue with going to system->prefs->sound, its just hangs waiting for sound system. Video - Nvidia card but unstable video and no openGL until attention given to correct driver - the standard install looked pretty grim. USB sticks cannot read, get permission denied errors. Battery meter seems wildly inaccurate, claims 7 hours then dies in 2. Shutdown see...

Linux
http://www.murrayc.com/blog/permalink/2008/03/28/webcams-that-just-work-with-ubuntu/ <quote> As I've said before, I think the hardware lists on the Ubuntu wiki are mostly useless for real users because nobody is insisting that "just works" really means "just works", and nobody is flagging the ones that really do just work. </quote> And if you finally can get it to work with linux.... <quote> got a Pro 9000 around Christmas because I read that it "Just Works". It did not work in Ubuntu 7.04. I chased and chased and could not solve i...

OS X
after a bit of reading, it looks like I did a veeeeery shtupid thing... (I'm copying my post to this newsgroup, as the alt.sys.mac.newuser-help group didn't look quite as highly-trafficked...) anyways, here's what I did... ----------------------------------- in an effort to help the owner of a nice shiny new eMac 'clean up' their personal folder, I moved a few items... including the Library folder! it appears.... correct me if I'm wrong... that Mac OS X then created a NEW library... so we restarted it, and all the Quicken data, dialup info, (etc.) was gone... so we ...

[News] Doctor's Office Moves to Linux, Users Don't Want to "Go Back"
LTSP saves old hardware in Brazilian doctor's office ,----[ Quote ] | Thank to the Linux Terminal Server Project (LTSP), hardware that's too old | for new versions of Windows runs Linux applications just fine over a network | from a server. | | [...] | | I didn't even have to do any training. The users like Linux and don't want to | go back. `---- http://www.linux.com/feature/120292 Related: GPs threaten to snub NHS database ,----[ Quote ] | The electronic warehouse, dubbed Spine, is part of the NHS's £12bn | IT upgrade, which aims to link up 30,000 GPs t...

I don't mind Linux. It's the fan club I can't stand.
Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:42:08 -0500, Ana Thema wrote: > Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. Ana Thema ... a witch in search of batteries... -- Rick <http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ana Thema <anathema@gmail.net> wrote on Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:42:08 -0500 <o96ou15hrlhepdpdr7pkbefq3ep4e31ve1@ax4.com>: > Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. > Well of course it is; everyone should just use Windows instead. The occasional hangs, glitches, and crashes are more than compensa...

IBM Linux chief: Chasing desktop Windows a 'dead-end'
<quote> LinuxCon 2009 IBM says that battling for desktop market share against Windows is a "dead-end" for Linux. Sutor drew up several possible futures for the Linux desktop in the years ahead, including Linux going away altogether, one distribution dominating Linux desktops, one distro dominating all desktops, Linux reaching parity with Microsoft and Apple, and desktop Linux disappearing altogether and making the whole issue moot. "Most people say, 'I don't want to be bothered. It just works. I want to do the other parts of my job, and I want to go home,&...

"You don't have permission": Why won't this file download?

7: "Most people know of Linux".... (p)Rick: "the overwhelming number of people don't know Linux exists"
Get with the herd, bozos. On Jun 1, 2:08=A0am, DFS <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote: > Get with the herd, bozos. Groupthink, aka herd mentality, as heard in the street. These Linux clowns are like a herd of cats though, they're all over the map--explains the 1%. RL On Mon, 31 May 2010 16:13:45 -0700 (PDT), RayLopez99 wrote: > On Jun 1, 2:08´┐Żam, DFS <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote: >> Get with the herd, bozos. > > Groupthink, aka herd mentality, as heard in the street. > > These Linux clowns are like a herd of cats though, they're all o...

Documented
"All upgraded OK, but then noticed no sound, and no video. After following some online advice with hardware drivers tried to update Nvidia, and I then lost the GUI. Can get back by editing out Nvidia for Vesa in xorg.conf, but have to each time I start, and graphics too low to run much. Was going to back a few things up and re-install Jaunty, and now find USB memory stick will not work. Tried downloading and installing latest Nvidia driver, but got lots of error messages regarding kernels and headers that I can't resolve. Now will not even shutdown properly." #...

"Select" & "Order By" OK- ''WHERE'' Does'nt Work !
Before i post actual code, as i need a speedyish reply. Can i first ask if anyone knows off the top of their head, if there is a likely obvious cause to the following problem. For the moment i've reduced my form request to a simple text string entry, instead of my desired optional parameters. As i have been stuck with a single unfathomable glitch for over a year. Basically, if i enter queries such as ; "select * from table" "select * from table order by artist", it works perfectly. However if i introduce the 'where' option, as in "select * from table where ...

don't tell don't ask
I'm still struggling with OO concepts. I've read several books and studied various OO languages, but I don't really feel I have a good grasp of the concepts. I like the sound of the "tell, don't ask" model, where networks of objects are asked to perform the work they are responsible for, rather than asking objects to give you information (like a string) that you do something with. But, I get confused when I try to apply the idea to a program design. The only way I can think of avoiding asking objecs for information is if the program consists of nothing but one objec...

Linux: "I don't trust Ubuntu"
"This is why I don't trust Ubuntu, even though everything seems to be al right. Fedora is gonna prevail in my system." #129 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=412125&page=13 On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 00:57:33 -0400, DFS wrote: > "This is why I don't trust Ubuntu, even though everything seems to be al > right. Fedora is gonna prevail in my system." > > #129 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=412125&page=13 Hahaha! Fedora? If he thinks he has problems with Ubuntu, wait until he tries Fedora. I would suggest PCLinuxOS or Mint...

how to make ["a","b",["c","d"],"e"] into ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e'] ?
--001a11c34e8edbc7c404f6a94bbe Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 >>> x=["a","b",["c","d"],"e"] >>> y=x[2] >>> y ['c', 'd'] >>> x.insert(2,y[0]) >>> x ['a', 'b', 'c', ['c', 'd'], 'e'] >>> x.insert(3,y[1]) >>> x ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', ['c', 'd'], 'e'] >>> del x[4] >>> x ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', &#...

Don't understand: when('foo' and/or 'bar')
Would someone be so kind to explain the following (quotes are for win32 perl): perl -E" $u='foo'; given($u){ when('foo' and 'bar'){say 'f'} default{say 'd'} } " d perl -E" $u='bar'; given($u){ when('foo' and 'bar'){say 'f'} default{say 'd'} } " f perl -E" $u='baz'; given($u){ when('foo' and 'bar'){say 'f'} default{say 'd'} } " d perl -E" $u='foo'; given($u){ when('foo' or 'bar'){say 'f'} default{...

I sell various items for Amiga on EBAY, if you don't agree don't read and don't break my balls, understand mr. user?
See on this link: http://search.ebay.it/_W0QQsassZmousemikiQQhtZ-1 P.s. not all items are for Amiga, simple don't see others! ...

EB/EBX: "We aren't hot and don't have nice hooters!"
Hey all, The other EB thread made me remember a conversation I once had with the guys behind the counter at my local EB. One day, while shopping for new games, my conversation with the two EB store reps turned to advancement opportunities within the company. The two scruffy looking twenty-something guys (both college educated) looked at me as I were insane. "We aren't hot and don't have nice hooters!" one said. "Yeah, without that no chance." said the other. They were dead serious. Given the small probablity a woman being hot with nice hooters and the even smalle...

Web resources about - Linux crapware victim: Mepis8 'collapsed'... webcams don't work on Ubuntu 12.04..."Don't tell me to build a kernel..." - comp.os.linux.advocacy