Linux Does What Windows Don't (Why Linux is better than Windows)

Linux Does What Windows Don't (Why Linux is better than Windows)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD6nqQrJx78

The message is in the video.

That means play the stupid thing, People!
0
John

On Mon, 1 Sep 2014 08:31:13 -0700 (PDT), John Gohde wrote:

> Linux Does What Windows Don't (Why Linux is better than Windows)
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD6nqQrJx78
>
> The message is in the video.
>
> That means play the stupid thing, People!

lol !

What he fails to mention is the quality of said applications.
What he fails to mention is out of the box driver support for new
devices.
....and so forth.

IOW just because Linux can *do something* doesn't mean it does it
well.

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
0
us
9/1/2014 3:41:29 PM
On Monday, September 1, 2014 11:41:29 AM UTC-4, flatfish+++ wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2014 08:31:13 -0700 (PDT), John Gohde wrote:
>

> > Linux Does What Windows Don't (Why Linux is better than Windows)
>

> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD6nqQrJx78
>

> > The message is in the video.
>

> > That means play the stupid thing, People!
>

> lol !
>

> What he fails to mention is the quality of said applications.
>
> What he fails to mention is out of the box driver support for new
>
> devices.
>
> ...and so forth.
>

> IOW just because Linux can *do something* doesn't mean it does it
>
> well.
>

> --
>
> flatfish+++
>

> Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
>
> Business.
>
> Before Switching To Linux Read This:
>
> http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html

NEGATIVE Trolls are a dime a dozen. :)
0
John
9/1/2014 4:04:12 PM
On Mon, 1 Sep 2014 09:04:12 -0700 (PDT), John Gohde wrote:

> On Monday, September 1, 2014 11:41:29 AM UTC-4, flatfish+++ wrote:
>> On Mon, 1 Sep 2014 08:31:13 -0700 (PDT), John Gohde wrote:
>>

>>> Linux Does What Windows Don't (Why Linux is better than Windows)
>>

>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD6nqQrJx78
>>

>>> The message is in the video.
>>

>>> That means play the stupid thing, People!
>>

>> lol !
>>

>> What he fails to mention is the quality of said applications.
>>
>> What he fails to mention is out of the box driver support for new
>>
>> devices.
>>
>> ...and so forth.
>>

>> IOW just because Linux can *do something* doesn't mean it does it
>>
>> well.
>>

>> --
>>
>> flatfish+++
>>

>> Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
>>
>> Business.
>>
>> Before Switching To Linux Read This:
>>
>> http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
>

> NEGATIVE Trolls are a dime a dozen. :)

Still higher priced than the average Linux basement dweller can
afford.

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
0
us
9/1/2014 4:09:09 PM
On Monday, September 1, 2014 12:09:09 PM UTC-4, flatfish+++ wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2014 09:04:12 -0700 (PDT), John Gohde wrote:

> >> lol !
>

> >> What he fails to mention is the quality of said applications.
>

> >> What he fails to mention is out of the box driver support for new
>

> >> devices.
>

> >> ...and so forth.
>

> >> IOW just because Linux can *do something* doesn't mean it does it
>

> >> well.
>

> >> --
>

> >> flatfish+++
>

> >> Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
>

> >> Business.
>

> >> Before Switching To Linux Read This:
>

> >> http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
>

> > NEGATIVE Trolls are a dime a dozen. :)
>
> Still higher priced than the average Linux basement dweller can
> afford.

I just finished doing something in Linux, better than how Windozes does it.

I updated all of my software with just a couple of clicks of my mouse.

You Windows Trolls are pathetic.

Now, for some fun. :)
0
John
9/1/2014 5:30:21 PM
On Mon, 1 Sep 2014 10:30:21 -0700 (PDT), John Gohde wrote:

> On Monday, September 1, 2014 12:09:09 PM UTC-4, flatfish+++ wrote:

>>> NEGATIVE Trolls are a dime a dozen. :)
>>
>> Still higher priced than the average Linux basement dweller can
>> afford.
>

> I just finished doing something in Linux, better than how Windozes does it.
>
> I updated all of my software with just a couple of clicks of my mouse.
>
> You Windows Trolls are pathetic.
>
> Now, for some fun. :)

Good for you! Applications and systems updating is something Linux
does rather well.

The problem is that when you are done, you are still left with mostly
sub-standard Linux software.

> You Windows Trolls are pathetic.
>
> Now, for some fun. :)

Installing Windows perhaps?
Only kidding :)

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
0
us
9/1/2014 5:35:04 PM
On 2014-09-01 11:31 AM, John Gohde wrote:
> Linux Does What Windows Don't (Why Linux is better than Windows)
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD6nqQrJx78
>
> The message is in the video.
>
> That means play the stupid thing, People!

Atari used to use very similar mottos when advertising its Jaguar video
game system in the early 90s. We all know how successful that turned out
to be.

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter
On Monday, September 1, 2014 1:35:04 PM UTC-4, flatfish+++ wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2014 10:30:21 -0700 (PDT), John Gohde wrote:

> >> Still higher priced than the average Linux basement dweller can
>
> >> afford.
>

> > I just finished doing something in Linux, better than how Windozes does it.
>

> > I updated all of my software with just a couple of clicks of my mouse.
>

> > You Windows Trolls are pathetic.
>

> > Now, for some fun. :)
>

> Good for you! Applications and systems updating is something Linux
>
> does rather well.
>

> The problem is that when you are done, you are still left with mostly
>
> sub-standard Linux software.
>

> > You Windows Trolls are pathetic.
>

> > Now, for some fun. :)
>

> Installing Windows perhaps?
>
> Only kidding :)
>

> --
>
> flatfish+++
>

> Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
>
> Business.
>
> Before Switching To Linux Read This:
>
> http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html

Google Chrome updated.  It now reports that Chrome no longer supports my hardware.  Should I cry, or laugh?  At least, now I know why?

Wait till I load Linux on my Windows 95 computer, Google.

I think that I will wait a few more generations for Chromebooks to iron out all their problems.  In the mean time, who cares?

Certainly NOT Moi.  Any day that I am still breathing, while NOT working for the Man is a good day. :)

At least I own my hunk of junk computer.  Do you?

Go Lie to somebody else, Troll.
0
John
9/1/2014 5:48:47 PM
On Monday, September 1, 2014 1:48:21 PM UTC-4, Silver Slimer wrote:
> On 2014-09-01 11:31 AM, John Gohde wrote:
>
> > Linux Does What Windows Don't (Why Linux is better than Windows)
>

> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD6nqQrJx78
>

> > The message is in the video.
>

> > That means play the stupid thing, People!
>

> Atari used to use very similar mottos when advertising its Jaguar video
>
> game system in the early 90s. We all know how successful that turned out
>
> to be.
>

> Silver Slimer

Video games are for juvenile slime. Now, go slime along, Slimer.

Who says so?  GrandPa does. :)
0
John
9/1/2014 5:51:40 PM
On 2014-09-01 1:30 PM, John Gohde wrote:
> On Monday, September 1, 2014 12:09:09 PM UTC-4, flatfish+++ wrote:

>>> NEGATIVE Trolls are a dime a dozen. :)
>>
>> Still higher priced than the average Linux basement dweller can
>> afford.
>

> I just finished doing something in Linux, better than how Windozes does it.
>
> I updated all of my software with just a couple of clicks of my mouse.
>
> You Windows Trolls are pathetic.
>
> Now, for some fun. :)

Today, I did something your GNU/Linux box can't do: I played a Blu-Ray disc.

Oh, I also went on Netflix. I also used the latest version of Flash
without requiring the use of Google Chrome. I also played games without
screen tearing. My system also shut down without problems. My bootup
screen also looked right despite the fact that I was using proprietary
drivers. The documents I printed out also looked how they were supposed to.

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter
Silver Slimer <slvrslmr@lv.c> wrote:

> Today, I did something your GNU/Linux box can't do: I played a
> Blu-Ray disc.

Bravo!

Melzzzzz
9/1/2014 7:00:18 PM
On 2014-09-01 1:48 PM, John Gohde wrote:
> On Monday, September 1, 2014 1:35:04 PM UTC-4, flatfish+++ wrote:

>>> I just finished doing something in Linux, better than how Windozes does it.
>>

>>> I updated all of my software with just a couple of clicks of my mouse.
>>

>>> You Windows Trolls are pathetic.
>>

>>> Now, for some fun. :)
>>

>> Good for you! Applications and systems updating is something Linux
>>
>> does rather well.
>>

>> The problem is that when you are done, you are still left with mostly
>>
>> sub-standard Linux software.
>>

>>> You Windows Trolls are pathetic.
>>

>>> Now, for some fun. :)
>>

>> Installing Windows perhaps?
>>
>> Only kidding :)
>>

>> --
>>
>> flatfish+++
>>

>> Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
>>
>> Business.
>>
>> Before Switching To Linux Read This:
>>
>> http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
>

> Google Chrome updated.  It now reports that Chrome no longer supports my hardware.  Should I cry, or laugh?  At least, now I know why?
>
> Wait till I load Linux on my Windows 95 computer, Google.
>
> I think that I will wait a few more generations for Chromebooks to iron out all their problems.  In the mean time, who cares?
>
> Certainly NOT Moi.  Any day that I am still breathing, while NOT working for the Man is a good day. :)
>
> At least I own my hunk of junk computer.  Do you?
>
> Go Lie to somebody else, Troll.

What on God's Earth are you talking about?
--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter
On 2014-09-01 1:51 PM, John Gohde wrote:
> On Monday, September 1, 2014 1:48:21 PM UTC-4, Silver Slimer wrote:
>> On 2014-09-01 11:31 AM, John Gohde wrote:
>>
>>> Linux Does What Windows Don't (Why Linux is better than Windows)
>>

>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD6nqQrJx78
>>

>>> The message is in the video.
>>

>>> That means play the stupid thing, People!
>>

>> Atari used to use very similar mottos when advertising its Jaguar video
>>
>> game system in the early 90s. We all know how successful that turned out
>>
>> to be.
>>

>> Silver Slimer
>

> Video games are for juvenile slime. Now, go slime along, Slimer.
>
> Who says so?  GrandPa does. :)

You're right, they are. However, two powerful 1980s computer
manufacturers ended up betting their entire business on video games in
the early 1990s so whether you like them or not, they determine the fate
of companies. Commodore bet their company on the Amiga CD32 and Atari
with the Jaguar. Commodore is known for releasing the excellent Amiga
systems and Atari released the 400/800, 520 and 1040ST, the TT and
finally the Falcon 030. Debatably, their computers were always ahead of
both Apple and IBM in terms of technology.

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter
On 09/01/2014 02:00 PM, Melzzzzz wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 13:52:17 -0400
> Silver Slimer <slvrslmr@lv.c> wrote:
>

>> Today, I did something your GNU/Linux box can't do: I played a
>> Blu-Ray disc.
>
> Bravo!

I know mine can't... because I don't have a Blu-Ray disc player... it's
just like a Mac in that regard... but then -hh tells us Blu-Ray discs
are no good anyway... he says they get "disc rot..."  download your
content... just pretend you're using a Mac...

0
Nobody
9/1/2014 9:53:09 PM
On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 16:53:09 -0500, Nobody wrote:

> On 09/01/2014 02:00 PM, Melzzzzz wrote:
>> On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 13:52:17 -0400
>> Silver Slimer <slvrslmr@lv.c> wrote:
>>

>>> Today, I did something your GNU/Linux box can't do: I played a
>>> Blu-Ray disc.
>>
>> Bravo!
>
> I know mine can't... because I don't have a Blu-Ray disc player... it's
> just like a Mac in that regard... but then -hh tells us Blu-Ray discs
> are no good anyway... he says they get "disc rot..."  download your
> content... just pretend you're using a Mac...

All types of discs are getting disc rot.
CDROM, DVD etc.
And that includes commercial CDs.

It's becoming a real problem for the audio guys.
Bottom line, if you have treasured files on any of those types of
media, start thinking about archiving somewhere else.

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
0
us
9/1/2014 10:10:25 PM
	flatfish+++ wrote:

> On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 16:53:09 -0500, Nobody wrote:
>
>> On 09/01/2014 02:00 PM, Melzzzzz wrote:

>>> Bravo!
>>
>> I know mine can't... because I don't have a Blu-Ray disc player... it's
>> just like a Mac in that regard... but then -hh tells us Blu-Ray discs
>> are no good anyway... he says they get "disc rot..."  download your
>> content... just pretend you're using a Mac...
>
> All types of discs are getting disc rot.
> CDROM, DVD etc.
> And that includes commercial CDs.
>
> It's becoming a real problem for the audio guys.
> Bottom line, if you have treasured files on any of those types of
> media, start thinking about archiving somewhere else.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/cds-truth-cddvd-longevity-mold-rot/

0
GreyCloud

   https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/BluRay

>> Bravo!
>
> I know mine can't... because I don't have a Blu-Ray disc player... it's
> just like a Mac in that regard... but then -hh tells us Blu-Ray discs
> are no good anyway... he says they get "disc rot..."  download your
> content... just pretend you're using a Mac...

Meh.  I'm fed up with copyright barons who prevent you from watching your
own purchased content on machines of your choosing.

That being said, we haven't purchased any Blu-Ray discs or a Blu-Ray player
as of yet.

Oh, and get a load of this:

   http://www.pcworld.com/article/2020963/how-to-play-dvds-and-blu-ray-discs-in-windows-8.html

You can't even play DVDs on Windows 8 unless the OEM preloaded DVD playback
software. That link also suggest loading <laughing> VLC... just like on
Linux <chortling>.

Or you can pay $55 for CyberLink PowerDVD.

Or you can pay $10 for Windows Media Center pack.  Unless you have only the
basic of Windows 8, you can’t download Windows Media Center without also
paying $100 to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro.

What did Ballmer say?  What are the copyright barons saying?

   "We need to get PAID!"

I'm fine with just opting out of that crapola for now.

--
To get something clean, one has to get something dirty.
To get something dirty, one does not have to get anything clean.
On Mon, 1 Sep 2014 19:38:10 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Nobody wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> On 09/01/2014 02:00 PM, Melzzzzz wrote:

>    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/BluRay
>
>>> Bravo!
>>
>> I know mine can't... because I don't have a Blu-Ray disc player... it's
>> just like a Mac in that regard... but then -hh tells us Blu-Ray discs
>> are no good anyway... he says they get "disc rot..."  download your
>> content... just pretend you're using a Mac...
>
> Meh.  I'm fed up with copyright barons who prevent you from watching your
> own purchased content on machines of your choosing.
>
> That being said, we haven't purchased any Blu-Ray discs or a Blu-Ray player
> as of yet.

If your video system is as crappy as everything else you seem to buy,
you aren't missing much, Chris Ahlstrom.

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
0
us
9/1/2014 11:58:10 PM
On 2014-09-01, Melzzzzz <mel@zzzzz.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 13:52:17 -0400
> Silver Slimer <slvrslmr@lv.c> wrote:
>

>> Today, I did something your GNU/Linux box can't do: I played a
>> Blu-Ray disc.
>
> Bravo!

    Really...

    Using a $200 OS and a $500 or $1000 PC to replace what can  be done
with a $60 consumer appliance. You probably had to pay for the BD playback
app too. And all of that just to create an end user experience that's a
good 10 years behind the times.

    It's been about 8 years since I regularly used physical media directly.

    ...and every time I give it a try again, I remember why it is that I
don't do that anymore.

--

    MSOffice is completely unremarkable except for the fact          |||
    that it is most compatable with itself.                         / | \
On Mon, 1 Sep 2014 19:53:30 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

> On 2014-09-01, Melzzzzz <mel@zzzzz.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 13:52:17 -0400
>> Silver Slimer <slvrslmr@lv.c> wrote:
>>

>>> Today, I did something your GNU/Linux box can't do: I played a
>>> Blu-Ray disc.
>>
>> Bravo!
>
>     Really...
>
>     Using a $200 OS and a $500 or $1000 PC to replace what can  be done
> with a $60 consumer appliance. You probably had to pay for the BD playback
> app too. And all of that just to create an end user experience that's a
> good 10 years behind the times.
>
>     It's been about 8 years since I regularly used physical media directly.
>
>     ...and every time I give it a try again, I remember why it is that I
> don't do that anymore.

Keep sucking those sour grapes.......

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
0
us

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-BP540-Blu-Ray-Player/dp/B00IAELTK8/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1409620555&sr=1-5

>      It's been about 8 years since I regularly used physical media directly.
>
>      ...and every time I give it a try again, I remember why it is that I
> don't do that anymore.

I have quite a DVD and CD collection, but I use a player attached to my TV.

0
Nobody
9/2/2014 1:20:14 AM
On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 20:20:14 -0500, Nobody wrote:

> On 09/01/2014 07:53 PM, JEDIDIAH wrote:
>> On 2014-09-01, Melzzzzz <mel@zzzzz.com> wrote:

>>> Bravo!
>>
>>      Really...
>>
>>      Using a $200 OS and a $500 or $1000 PC to replace what can  be done
>> with a $60 consumer appliance. You probably had to pay for the BD playback
>> app too. And all of that just to create an end user experience that's a
>> good 10 years behind the times.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-BP540-Blu-Ray-Player/dp/B00IAELTK8/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1409620555&sr=1-5
>
>>      It's been about 8 years since I regularly used physical media directly.
>>
>>      ...and every time I give it a try again, I remember why it is that I
>> don't do that anymore.
>
> I have quite a DVD and CD collection, but I use a player attached to my TV.

So do I....
I usually filter you, however I am letting you know that you had
better back that collection up somewhere else.

You *will* hit bit-rot at some time.

Has nothing to do with the OS and everything to do with CD/DVD
failing after a few years.

It's a very dirty little secret the entertainment industry is hiding.

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
0
us
9/2/2014 1:31:24 AM
On Monday, September 1, 2014 5:33:39 PM UTC-4, Silver Slimer wrote:
> On 2014-09-01 1:48 PM, John Gohde wrote:

> >> Good for you! Applications and systems updating is something Linux
>

> >> does rather well.
>

> >> The problem is that when you are done, you are still left with mostly
>

> >> sub-standard Linux software.

> >> Installing Windows perhaps?
>

> >> Only kidding :)
>

> >> --
>

> >> flatfish+++
>

> >> Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
>

> >> Business.
>

> >> Before Switching To Linux Read This:
>

> >> http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
>

> > Google Chrome updated.  It now reports that Chrome no longer supports my hardware.  Should I cry, or laugh?  At least, now I know why?
>

> > Wait till I load Linux on my Windows 95 computer, Google.
>

> > I think that I will wait a few more generations for Chromebooks to iron out all their problems.  In the mean time, who cares?
>

> > Certainly NOT Moi.  Any day that I am still breathing, while NOT working for the Man is a good day. :)
>

> > At least I own my hunk of junk computer.  Do you?
>

> > Go Lie to somebody else, Troll.
>

> What on God's Earth are you talking about?

You are Off-Topic, Troll.
0
John
9/2/2014 5:43:31 AM
------=_Part_0_1118940728.1409642001485

JEDIDIAH <jedi@nomad.mishnet> Wrote in message:
> On 2014-09-01, Melzzzzz <mel@zzzzz.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 13:52:17 -0400
>> Silver Slimer <slvrslmr@lv.c> wrote:
>>

>>> Today, I did something your GNU/Linux box can't do: I played a
>>> Blu-Ray disc.
>>
>> Bravo!
>
>     Really...
>
>     Using a $200 OS
Retail win 8.1 license here in Serbia is 220 euros.  Average wage is about same amount.

and a $500 or $1000 PC to replace what can  be done
> with a $60 consumer appliance.
Average PC is also around 200e.

You probably had to pay for the BD playback
> app too. And all of that just to create an end user experience that's a
> good 10 years behind the times.

I never saw blue ray player here.

>     It's been about 8 years since I regularly used physical media directly.

DVD players are still around.

>     ...and every time I give it a try again, I remember why it is that I
> don't do that anymore.
I  use DVD burner to burn software, mainly.

------=_Part_0_1118940728.1409642001485--
0
Mel
9/2/2014 7:13:21 AM
It was reported that Chris Ahlstrom posted:

> Nobody wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> On 09/01/2014 02:00 PM, Melzzzzz wrote:

>    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/BluRay
>
>>> Bravo!
>>
>> I know mine can't... because I don't have a Blu-Ray disc player... it's
>> just like a Mac in that regard... but then -hh tells us Blu-Ray discs
>> are no good anyway... he says they get "disc rot..."  download your
>> content... just pretend you're using a Mac...
>
> Meh.  I'm fed up with copyright barons who prevent you from watching your
> own purchased content on machines of your choosing.
>
> That being said, we haven't purchased any Blu-Ray discs or a Blu-Ray player
> as of yet.
>
> Oh, and get a load of this:
>
>    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2020963/how-to-play-dvds-and-blu-ray-discs-in-windows-8.html
>
> You can't even play DVDs on Windows 8 unless the OEM preloaded DVD playback
> software. That link also suggest loading <laughing> VLC... just like on
> Linux <chortling>.
>
> Or you can pay $55 for CyberLink PowerDVD.
>
> Or you can pay $10 for Windows Media Center pack.  Unless you have only the
> basic of Windows 8, you can�t download Windows Media Center without also
> paying $100 to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro.
>
> What did Ballmer say?  What are the copyright barons saying?
>
>    "We need to get PAID!"
>
> I'm fine with just opting out of that crapola for now.

To say that "Today, I did something your GNU/Linux box can't do: I played a
Blu-Ray disc." is a downright lie, but we knew that's what Slimeball does.

--
Websites taking free content from usenet are parasites.
If you are not reading this in a USENET newsgroup, with a

0
William
9/2/2014 8:09:56 AM
Nobody wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 09/01/2014 07:53 PM, JEDIDIAH wrote:
>> On 2014-09-01, Melzzzzz <mel@zzzzz.com> wrote:

>>> Bravo!
>>
>>      Really...
>>
>>      Using a $200 OS and a $500 or $1000 PC to replace what can  be done
>> with a $60 consumer appliance. You probably had to pay for the BD playback
>> app too. And all of that just to create an end user experience that's a
>> good 10 years behind the times.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-BP540-Blu-Ray-Player/dp/B00IAELTK8/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1409620555&sr=1-5

The sad irony is that unit might well have embedded Linux in it... as well
as the most important thing, the encryption key.

>>      It's been about 8 years since I regularly used physical media directly.
>>
>>      ...and every time I give it a try again, I remember why it is that I
>> don't do that anymore.
>
> I have quite a DVD and CD collection, but I use a player attached to my TV.

As far as I know, they still sell movies in DVD format.

But a thing like Apple TV or a Roku streaming stick will get you a wide
variety of "content" without having to find a disk, and with paying a
comparable fee.

Personally, though, I find it nearly impossible to sit and just watch a
movie, in any format.

--
"Luke, I'm yer father, eh.  Come over to the dark side, you hoser."
		-- Dave Thomas, "Strange Brew"
William Poaster wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> It was reported that Chris Ahlstrom posted:
>
>> Nobody wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/BluRay

>>> I know mine can't... because I don't have a Blu-Ray disc player... it's
>>> just like a Mac in that regard... but then -hh tells us Blu-Ray discs
>>> are no good anyway... he says they get "disc rot..."  download your
>>> content... just pretend you're using a Mac...
>>
>> Meh.  I'm fed up with copyright barons who prevent you from watching your
>> own purchased content on machines of your choosing.
>>
>> That being said, we haven't purchased any Blu-Ray discs or a Blu-Ray player
>> as of yet.
>>
>> Oh, and get a load of this:
>>
>>    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2020963/how-to-play-dvds-and-blu-ray-discs-in-windows-8.html
>>
>> You can't even play DVDs on Windows 8 unless the OEM preloaded DVD playback
>> software. That link also suggest loading <laughing> VLC... just like on
>> Linux <chortling>.
>>
>> Or you can pay $55 for CyberLink PowerDVD.
>>
>> Or you can pay $10 for Windows Media Center pack.  Unless you have only the
>> basic of Windows 8, you can’t download Windows Media Center without also
>> paying $100 to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro.
>>
>> What did Ballmer say?  What are the copyright barons saying?
>>
>>    "We need to get PAID!"
>>
>> I'm fine with just opting out of that crapola for now.
>
> To say that "Today, I did something your GNU/Linux box can't do: I played a
> Blu-Ray disc." is a downright lie, but we knew that's what Slimeball does.

He's as dumb as a "Hadron".

--
Zymurgy's Law of Volunteer Labor:
	People are always available for work in the past tense.
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

>Oh, and get a load of this:
>
>   http://www.pcworld.com/article/2020963/how-to-play-dvds-and-blu-ray-discs-in-windows-8.html
>
>You can't even play DVDs on Windows 8 unless the OEM preloaded DVD playback
>software. That link also suggest loading <laughing> VLC... just like on
>Linux <chortling>.
>
>Or you can pay $55 for CyberLink PowerDVD.
>
>Or you can pay $10 for Windows Media Center pack.  Unless you have only the
>basic of Windows 8, you can�t download Windows Media Center without also
>paying $100 to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro.

I wonder if the POS that calls itself "GreyCloud" will start foaming
at the mouth about all that?  He seems to think that it's terrible
that *some* Linux distros won't play DVD's without first installing
some software.

>What did Ballmer say?  What are the copyright barons saying?
>
>   "We need to get PAID!"

Which is fine, as long as there's healthy competition.

--
"The fact is (Microsoft's) SW works for people. Over 90% of the PC
users in the world use it. And it works for them. "  -  "True Linux
Nobody wrote:

>I have quite a DVD and CD collection, but I use a player attached to my TV.

Same here.  When I watch a movie, it's on a TV, and just don't "get"
the desire to watch movie disks on a PC, other than on a laptop,
maybe.

--
'Only in COLA can someone recommend giving 250 Linux distros to a guy
who doesn't know how to turn a PC on in order that he might "evaluate"
chrisv wrote:

> Same here.  When I watch a movie, it's on a TV, and just don't "get" the
> desire to watch movie disks on a PC, other than on a laptop, maybe.

I have no desire to watch a movie on my PC. I'm going to flop on the
couch in front of the big flat screen. As a matter of fact, I seldom even
load a disc anymore. No need to with a Roku box and a Chromecast. For the
few hundred movies I have stored on my NAS, I just use the Plex media
server and their special Roku channel.

--
* <--- Tribble
.. <--- Tribble.zip
On 2 Sep 2014 05:53, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> Nobody wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>>      Really...
>>>
>>>      Using a $200 OS and a $500 or $1000 PC to replace what can  be done
>>> with a $60 consumer appliance. You probably had to pay for the BD playback
>>> app too. And all of that just to create an end user experience that's a
>>> good 10 years behind the times.
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-BP540-Blu-Ray-Player/dp/B00IAELTK8/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1409620555&sr=1-5
>
> The sad irony is that unit might well have embedded Linux in it... as well
> as the most important thing, the encryption key.
>
>>>      It's been about 8 years since I regularly used physical media directly.
>>>
>>>      ...and every time I give it a try again, I remember why it is that I
>>> don't do that anymore.
>>
>> I have quite a DVD and CD collection, but I use a player attached to my TV.
>
> As far as I know, they still sell movies in DVD format.
>
> But a thing like Apple TV or a Roku streaming stick will get you a wide
> variety of "content" without having to find a disk, and with paying a
> comparable fee.

If by 'comparable' you mean a few dollars more than for renting a
DVD/BluRay of a fairly new movie, sure...  :)

And if you have the home theater equipment, the streams are not nearly
as good as BD both in PQ and certainly in sound.

> Personally, though, I find it nearly impossible to sit and just watch a
> movie, in any format.

Yeah, these days all too many movies are of the one-eye viewing
quality!  :(

--
Lloyd

0
Lloyd
9/2/2014 12:27:55 PM
On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 05:53:14 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Personally, though, I find it nearly impossible to sit and just watch a
> movie, in any format.

You sound like a real freak.

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
0
us
9/2/2014 1:13:16 PM
On 02/09/2014 4:09 AM, William Poaster wrote:
> It was reported that Chris Ahlstrom posted:
>
>> Nobody wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>     https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/BluRay

>>> I know mine can't... because I don't have a Blu-Ray disc player... it's
>>> just like a Mac in that regard... but then -hh tells us Blu-Ray discs
>>> are no good anyway... he says they get "disc rot..."  download your
>>> content... just pretend you're using a Mac...
>>
>> Meh.  I'm fed up with copyright barons who prevent you from watching your
>> own purchased content on machines of your choosing.
>>
>> That being said, we haven't purchased any Blu-Ray discs or a Blu-Ray player
>> as of yet.
>>
>> Oh, and get a load of this:
>>
>>     http://www.pcworld.com/article/2020963/how-to-play-dvds-and-blu-ray-discs-in-windows-8.html
>>
>> You can't even play DVDs on Windows 8 unless the OEM preloaded DVD playback
>> software. That link also suggest loading <laughing> VLC... just like on
>> Linux <chortling>.
>>
>> Or you can pay $55 for CyberLink PowerDVD.
>>
>> Or you can pay $10 for Windows Media Center pack.  Unless you have only the
>> basic of Windows 8, you can�t download Windows Media Center without also
>> paying $100 to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro.
>>
>> What did Ballmer say?  What are the copyright barons saying?
>>
>>     "We need to get PAID!"
>>
>> I'm fine with just opting out of that crapola for now.
>
> To say that "Today, I did something your GNU/Linux box can't do: I played a
> Blu-Ray disc." is a downright lie, but we knew that's what Slimeball does.

Ugh, Wideload Porkster is now making the claim that commercial Blu-Ray
playback on GNU/Linux is possible. While workarounds in VLC will make it
possible to play titles from 2006 to 2008, anything with BD-J can't play
at all. It can be ripped from the disc at much difficulty but you can't
just insert and play.

This is common knowledge to anyone who bothers to read GNU/Linux news
and developments. Unfortunately, with all of the ass kissing that fat
ass does in here, there's no time left to read.

You're a repulsive idiot, Wideload Porkster.

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter
On 02/09/2014 5:53 AM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> Nobody wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>>       Really...
>>>
>>>       Using a $200 OS and a $500 or $1000 PC to replace what can  be done
>>> with a $60 consumer appliance. You probably had to pay for the BD playback
>>> app too. And all of that just to create an end user experience that's a
>>> good 10 years behind the times.
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-BP540-Blu-Ray-Player/dp/B00IAELTK8/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1409620555&sr=1-5
>
> The sad irony is that unit might well have embedded Linux in it... as well
> as the most important thing, the encryption key.
>
>>>       It's been about 8 years since I regularly used physical media directly.
>>>
>>>       ...and every time I give it a try again, I remember why it is that I
>>> don't do that anymore.
>>
>> I have quite a DVD and CD collection, but I use a player attached to my TV.
>
> As far as I know, they still sell movies in DVD format.
>
> But a thing like Apple TV or a Roku streaming stick will get you a wide
> variety of "content" without having to find a disk, and with paying a
> comparable fee.
>
> Personally, though, I find it nearly impossible to sit and just watch a
> movie, in any format.

Toddlers seem to have that problem. I'm sure your wife has a lot of
juice boxes and Lego lying around for you.

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter
GNU/Linux magically turns your modern computer into a Commodore 64...
without the neat games
0
Silver
9/2/2014 2:24:14 PM
On 9/2/2014 10:24 AM, Silver Slimer wrote:
> On 02/09/2014 5:53 AM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

>> Personally, though, I find it nearly impossible to sit and just watch a
>> movie, in any format.
>
> Toddlers seem to have that problem. I'm sure your wife has a lot of
> juice boxes and Lego lying around for you.

She has to buy him the juice boxes - he's not allowed:

"It's not so much the threat of divorce, as making your every moment at
home a living hell. My wife used to dole out my weekly allowance, $20,
and then quiz me about where I spent it, as she didn't expect me to buy
snacks and such."

Christopher John Ahlstrom
emasculated Linux "advocate"

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/ecaf21d667b4afca

0
DFS
9/2/2014 2:29:25 PM
On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 10:29:25 -0400, DFS wrote:

> On 9/2/2014 10:24 AM, Silver Slimer wrote:
>> On 02/09/2014 5:53 AM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>

>>> Personally, though, I find it nearly impossible to sit and just watch a
>>> movie, in any format.
>>
>> Toddlers seem to have that problem. I'm sure your wife has a lot of
>> juice boxes and Lego lying around for you.
>

> She has to buy him the juice boxes - he's not allowed:
>

> "It's not so much the threat of divorce, as making your every moment at
> home a living hell. My wife used to dole out my weekly allowance, $20,
> and then quiz me about where I spent it, as she didn't expect me to buy
> snacks and such."
>
> Christopher John Ahlstrom
> emasculated Linux "advocate"
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/ecaf21d667b4afca

I can only imagine what the other side of that story is.
She probably regrets the day she met that pansy Chris Ahlstrom.

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
0
us
9/2/2014 2:48:25 PM
On 2014-09-02, Nobody <nobody@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 09/01/2014 07:53 PM, JEDIDIAH wrote:
>> On 2014-09-01, Melzzzzz <mel@zzzzz.com> wrote:

>>> Bravo!
>>
>>      Really...
>>
>>      Using a $200 OS and a $500 or $1000 PC to replace what can  be done
>> with a $60 consumer appliance. You probably had to pay for the BD playback
>> app too. And all of that just to create an end user experience that's a
>> good 10 years behind the times.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-BP540-Blu-Ray-Player/dp/B00IAELTK8/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1409620555&sr=1-5
>
>>      It's been about 8 years since I regularly used physical media directly.
>>
>>      ...and every time I give it a try again, I remember why it is that I
>> don't do that anymore.
>
> I have quite a DVD and CD collection, but I use a player attached to my TV.

    I do too. I just don't use the media directly. I like being able to
control my UX and impose it on every TV I own. That's a little bit harder
with a consumer appliance.

    I basically ditched my last consumer appliance over being an overpriced
disappointment that didn't deliver a key feature I wanted despite it being
advertised.

    Plus there's things I can do with files that can't be done with discrete
bits of plastic.

--
	The social cost of suing/prosecuting individuals           |||
for non-commercial copyright infringement far outweighs           / | \
On 2014-09-02, Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us> wrote:
> Nobody wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>>      Really...
>>>
>>>      Using a $200 OS and a $500 or $1000 PC to replace what can  be done
>>> with a $60 consumer appliance. You probably had to pay for the BD playback
>>> app too. And all of that just to create an end user experience that's a
>>> good 10 years behind the times.
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-BP540-Blu-Ray-Player/dp/B00IAELTK8/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1409620555&sr=1-5
>
> The sad irony is that unit might well have embedded Linux in it... as well
> as the most important thing, the encryption key.

     My AV reciever / BD player runs Linux. It came with a whole booklet dedicated
to disclosing the GPL, LGPL, and exactly what components were involved (like LIRC).

>>>      It's been about 8 years since I regularly used physical media directly.
>>>
>>>      ...and every time I give it a try again, I remember why it is that I
>>> don't do that anymore.
>>
>> I have quite a DVD and CD collection, but I use a player attached to my TV.
>
> As far as I know, they still sell movies in DVD format.
>
> But a thing like Apple TV or a Roku streaming stick will get you a wide
> variety of "content" without having to find a disk, and with paying a
> comparable fee.

    ...yeah but that usually requires an active download all the time.

    That can be somewhat bothersome and not terribly efficient. Quite often
quality will suddenly tank or the player will just pause while it contemplates
it's navel. Or the show can give out entirely.

    Plus stuff "expires".

> Personally, though, I find it nearly impossible to sit and just watch a
> movie, in any format.

    Just the other day I was talking to a chap who made the mistake of watching
a movie on Netflix right before the contract for that movie expired. He was never
able to finish it.

    Streamers are a mixed bag.

--
	The social cost of suing/prosecuting individuals           |||
for non-commercial copyright infringement far outweighs           / | \
the social value of copyright to begin with.
0
JEDIDIAH
9/2/2014 3:12:43 PM
On 02/09/2014 10:29 AM, DFS wrote:
> On 9/2/2014 10:24 AM, Silver Slimer wrote:
>> On 02/09/2014 5:53 AM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>

>>> Personally, though, I find it nearly impossible to sit and just watch a
>>> movie, in any format.
>>
>> Toddlers seem to have that problem. I'm sure your wife has a lot of
>> juice boxes and Lego lying around for you.
>

> She has to buy him the juice boxes - he's not allowed:
>

> "It's not so much the threat of divorce, as making your every moment at
> home a living hell. My wife used to dole out my weekly allowance, $20,
> and then quiz me about where I spent it, as she didn't expect me to buy
> snacks and such."
>
> Christopher John Ahlstrom
> emasculated Linux "advocate"
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/ecaf21d667b4afca

When he reaches puberty, Chris AssStorm will gain the ability to notice
how awful GNU/Linux is.

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter
GNU/Linux magically turns your modern computer into a Commodore 64...
without the neat games
0
Silver

Linux Does What Windoze Don't (Why Linux is better than Windows)
Linux Does What Windoze Don't (Why Linux is better than Windows) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD6nqQrJx78 The message is in the video. That means play the stupid thing, People! ...

Linux victim can't take it anymore: concedes Windows is most appropriate if you don't want to fight your Linux crapware
"I used to recommend Linux to novice computers users like my parents. After having to solve too many broken updates with Ubuntu I had to finally concede that Windows is the most appropriate environment for a user that doesn't want to have to fight with their OS. There are just far too many obvious and critical bugs in Ubuntu to recommend it to an inexperienced user without a strong hacker ethic. While I still prefer using Linux over Windows as a software developer, I find myself beginning to lose more and more patience with Ubuntu with every new release. When will ...

Why I ditched Linux and Went Back To Windows XP (Don't waste your time on a Linux Studio)
I'm a musician with a very limited budget and little time to fool around with computers. If I had a 48 track Studer in my studio I would be happy, but I dont. I have an Intel system with a P4 3.0ghz and 2gig of memory and plenty of hard disk space. I have an RME card which works great. When I started my studio, my CS minor got the best of me and guided me toward Linux because Linux is free, supposedly offers quality applications and seemed like a good choice for a person on a budget like me. However, I quickly learned that the cost of software was a minor point compared to the time needed...

Another Blow To The So Called Linux Security
Read it and weep, Linux losers. http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5162348.html An analysis of hacker attacks on online servers in January by UK-based security consultancy mi2g found that Linux servers were the most frequently hit, accounting for 13,654 successful attacks, or 80 percent of the survey total. Windows came in a distant second with 2,005 attacks. A detailed analysis of government servers also found Linux to be more susceptible, accounting for 57 percent of all security breaches. On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:13:40 +0000, Dr Alw is a loser wrote: > Read it and weep, Linux lose...

Linux, Linux, Linux

Really really confused: Matlab's tricky window behavior on Linux, Windows 2000 and Window XP (was: why my matlab program on Linux and Windows XP behave so differently?)
"gino" <mizhael@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:cd5a6s$due$1@news.Stanford.EDU... > Hi folks, > > The matlab program is supposed to be cross platform compatible. Since matlab > uses Java, it should behave the same for the GUI to display on Windows XP > and Linux. But now, the GUI window was completely random showing on Linux > and on Windows XP. Manu UI control components are off their place. If I fix > this problem on Linux, the the UI controls will be off their place on > Windows; if I fix this problem on Windows, then the UI controls will be off >...

[News] [Linux] Dell's Linux Won't Emulate Windows, Might Go Beyond the US in Future
Ubuntu Founder: No Emulation Software for Dell Systems ,----[ Quote ] | "While Linux is an alternative to Windows, it is not cheap Windows. Linux | has its own strengths, and users should want it because of those | strengths and not because it's a cheap copy of Windows," he said. `---- http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2125848,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616 Dell explains Linux delays ,----[ Quote ] | "We are adjusting the roadmap for the rest of the world, but this has | just not been announced yet," Greffier added. `---- http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000...

IBM Linux chief: Chasing desktop Windows a 'dead-end'
<quote> LinuxCon 2009 IBM says that battling for desktop market share against Windows is a "dead-end" for Linux. Sutor drew up several possible futures for the Linux desktop in the years ahead, including Linux going away altogether, one distribution dominating Linux desktops, one distro dominating all desktops, Linux reaching parity with Microsoft and Apple, and desktop Linux disappearing altogether and making the whole issue moot. "Most people say, 'I don't want to be bothered. It just works. I want to do the other parts of my job, and I want to go home,&...

Why Linux is Better than Windows. **My Linux Experience**
I am an old salt at Windows having used it since Windows 3.0 and while it has served me well in the past I have discovered a system that is just so much better.That system is Linux. I recently installed Ubuntu on my Celeron 1.2 system and I can truly say I will never go back to Windows again. Why? No more virus, no more trojans, no more spyads and no more instability.I had Windows XP crashing on me at least 10 times a day and sometimes even more. Browsing with Windows was pitiful and I oft wondered if something was wrong with my connections to the internet.When I installed Ubuntu my download s...

Groupware for LINUX. KUBUNTU/UBUNTU LINUX on Windows XP. how to run obsolete windows programs on ubuntu/debian LINUX
Hi, is Kubuntu/Ubuntu LINUX the way to go. It is easily downloadable. Also, look up "urine therapy" and http://tripod.spacetimemotion.com And which is the best groupware for Kubuntu/Ubuntu LINUX. It is not ? http://www.phpgroupware.org/ Erach ...

Can't start thread in linux, porting code to linux from windows
ACE version: 5.4.8 OS: Red Hat Linux 3.2.3 GCC: 3.2.3 20030502 MACRO DEFINE: ACE_HAS_WCHAR, ACE_USES_WCHAR In the linux, I start the 4 threads to run the reactor event loop, the reactor is the ACE_TP_Reactor. And call the thread manager to spaw the new threads using following methods, and the thread group id is returned with value 1. but the event_loop can't be activated. I don't know why cause this. The same code run well in windows OS. Another, I try to use the pthread_create directly to run thread in linux, it is ok also. Following is the code snippet. ...

[News] linux sucks, windows is better than linux
http://aplawrence.com/Bofcusm/873.html [quote] OK, we've all heard it: Linux is too hard, Linux sucks, Windows is easier than Linux, yadda, yadda. [.....] And honestly - it doesn't crash as much as it used to. The old blue screen of death is pretty infrequent now, so that's no reason to run Linux. Windows is a pretty good OS now, if you don't mind doing things their way. Maybe that's what you want? All you do is browse the web and read email. Maybe Windows is fine for your needs. That's OK. But it's very difficult when you want to do something unusual, li...

[News] [Linux] OLPC Works Great with Linux While Windows Doesn't Support Enough Hardware
One laptop per child and open source ,----[ Quote ] | For once Microsoft is getting the reverse Linux laptop experience: | little support and little documentation for the hardware. The result | will be a platform that doesn?t include any of the really novel | features that we're building in, bad power management, no systems | management via the firmware and apps that will randomly crash because | they can't fix the virtual memory problem in the same way we're | approaching it. A second class citizen, to be sure. `---- http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=285 Related: OLPC proje...

Web resources about - Linux Does What Windows Don't (Why Linux is better than Windows) - comp.os.linux.advocacy