Linux, Linux, Linux

Hi,

Interested in trying Linux? Well you came to comp.os.linux.advocacy
for some reason, and you probably won't stay long. Here's a list of
Linux distributions to choose from.

Ubuntu
http://www.ubuntu.com
Newbie friendly and good support forums.

SuSE
http://www.novell.com/linux
Pay for some support if you're not opposed to spending a little
money.

Fedora Core
http://fedoraproject.org
If you're more comfortable with your computer, try this one out.

If you get frustrated, don't give up so easy. There is a wealth of
information online for whichever distro you choose. Many bookstores
also carry distro specific books, which you may find more informative
(idea courtesy of Tim Smith).

0
scatnubbs (5405)

cc <scatnubbs@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1182988520.942299.281390
@n2g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

> Hi,
>
> Interested in trying Linux? Well you came to comp.os.linux.advocacy
> for some reason, and you probably won't stay long. Here's a list of
> Linux distributions to choose from.

Hey,

Thanks for the advocacy posts, they're rather  few and far between at the
moment.

Just one thing though, could you maybe vary them a little, cutting and
pasting the same thing every time is just boring.

Try saying why you recommend those three distros over others.
0
usenet5048 (1061)
6/28/2007 6:59:13 AM
Jamie Hart wrote:

> cc <scatnubbs@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1182988520.942299.281390
> @n2g2000hse.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Interested in trying Linux? Well you came to comp.os.linux.advocacy
>> for some reason, and you probably won't stay long. Here's a list of
>> Linux distributions to choose from.
>>
> Hey,
>
> Thanks for the advocacy posts, they're rather  few and far between at the
> moment.
>
> Just one thing though, could you maybe vary them a little, cutting and
> pasting the same thing every time is just boring.
>
> Try saying why you recommend those three distros over others.

I liked cc's approach, short and suck sink, erm, succsink, oh dam, well just
short then.

0
spam226 (1980)
6/28/2007 8:28:11 AM
BearItAll <spam@rassler.co.uk> wrote in

> Jamie Hart wrote:
>
>> cc <scatnubbs@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1182988520.942299.281390
>> @n2g2000hse.googlegroups.com:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Interested in trying Linux? Well you came to comp.os.linux.advocacy
>>> for some reason, and you probably won't stay long. Here's a list of
>>> Linux distributions to choose from.
>>>
>> Hey,
>>
>> Thanks for the advocacy posts, they're rather  few and far between at
>> the moment.
>>
>> Just one thing though, could you maybe vary them a little, cutting
>> and pasting the same thing every time is just boring.
>>
>> Try saying why you recommend those three distros over others.
>
> I liked cc's approach, short and suck sink, erm, succsink, oh dam,
> well just short then.

I thought it was a good approach the first time he posted this.  He's
since posted two or three times changing nothing but the title.

That's OK, but I thought a bit of encouragement to branch out and make
things more interesting would benefit everyone.

Oh, and it's Succicnt, erm, Sucinct, Damn, Concise.
0
usenet5048 (1061)
6/28/2007 8:52:02 AM
--
PeKaJe

Q: God, root, what's the difference?
A: God can change the byte order on the CPU, root cannot.
0
usenet21 (2482)
6/28/2007 9:45:41 AM
On Jun 28, 4:52 am, Jamie Hart <use...@jhart.ath.cx> wrote:
> BearItAll <s...@rassler.co.uk> wrote innews:1183019291.26381.1@demeter.uk.clara.net:
>

> > Jamie Hart wrote:
>
> >> cc <scatnu...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1182988520.942299.281390
> >> @n2g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

> >> Hey,
>
> >> Thanks for the advocacy posts, they're rather  few and far between at
> >> the moment.
>
> >> Just one thing though, could you maybe vary them a little, cutting
> >> and pasting the same thing every time is just boring.
>
> >> Try saying why you recommend those three distros over others.
>
> > I liked cc's approach, short and suck sink, erm, succsink, oh dam,
> > well just short then.
>
> I thought it was a good approach the first time he posted this.  He's
> since posted two or three times changing nothing but the title.
>
> That's OK, but I thought a bit of encouragement to branch out and make
> things more interesting would benefit everyone.
>
> Oh, and it's Succicnt, erm, Sucinct, Damn, Concise.

Ahh, but I'm going for the "give the new user a limited selection"
bit. So there is no real reason why I recommend those 3 over others.
They happen to be the ones I'm most familiar with. So the posts may be
boring and repetitive to everyone here, but that's not my main
audience :) If I don't practice what I preach, what good am I?

0
scatnubbs (5405)
6/28/2007 9:47:48 AM
On Jun 28, 5:45 am, Peter Kai Jensen <use...@pekajemaps.homeip.net>
wrote:

> Jamie Hart wrote:
> >> I liked cc's approach, short and suck sink, erm, succsink, oh dam,
> >> well just short then.
>
> > I thought it was a good approach the first time he posted this.  He's
> > since posted two or three times changing nothing but the title.
>
> Probably just doing it so that he can claim to post advocacy between the
> much more numerous trollings.

I don't troll. But even though you falsely believe I do, what harm
does it do if I post some distro recommendations every now and then to
hopefully hit anyone coming here from google?

0
scatnubbs (5405)
6/28/2007 9:51:50 AM
cc <scatnubbs@hotmail.com> writes:

> On Jun 28, 5:45 am, Peter Kai Jensen <use...@pekajemaps.homeip.net>
> wrote:

>> > I thought it was a good approach the first time he posted this.  He's
>> > since posted two or three times changing nothing but the title.
>>
>> Probably just doing it so that he can claim to post advocacy between the
>> much more numerous trollings.
>>

> I don't troll. But even though you falsely believe I do, what harm
> does it do if I post some distro recommendations every now and then to
> hopefully hit anyone coming here from google?

This groups isn't about real advocacy. It's about worshipping linux and
striking down unbelievers. "Striking down", not converting.

It's about picking at bones to try and get brownie points.

Read the ridiculous thread about Linux Kernel v3 where, despite there
being nothing available anywhere , Spike1 is proclaiming the "right for
there to be a V3 kernel" even though there are no plans and no one has
said "it can not happen". And all because someone is looking for the
feature list of a non existent project and I have suggested that the
kernel developers have apparently suggested that there will not be a
need for a v3.

Absolutely barmy and as good as a parody of Monty Python's "right to
have babies" as I have ever seen.
0
hadronquark (21814)
6/28/2007 10:09:56 AM
Verily I say unto thee, that Jamie Hart spake thusly:

> Oh, and it's Succicnt, erm, Sucinct, Damn, Concise.

I have it on good authority that it is in fact "suck sink".

--
K.
http://slated.org

..----
| "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They
|  never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our
|  people, and neither do we." - George (Dubya) Bush.
`----

Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) on sky, running kernel 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7
 11:24:13 up  4:21,  2 users,  load average: 0.19, 0.22, 0.32
0
spam95 (5695)
6/28/2007 10:25:25 AM
Hadron Quark wrote:

> cc <scatnubbs@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Jun 28, 5:45 am, Peter Kai Jensen <use...@pekajemaps.homeip.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Probably just doing it so that he can claim to post advocacy between the
>>> much more numerous trollings.
>>>

>> I don't troll. But even though you falsely believe I do, what harm
>> does it do if I post some distro recommendations every now and then to
>> hopefully hit anyone coming here from google?
>>

> This groups isn't about real advocacy. It's about worshipping linux and
> striking down unbelievers. "Striking down", not converting.

You don't get to be the judge of what this newsgroup is about.

There's no worship of linux here. We all just use it and enjoy its ease of
use and security.

> It's about picking at bones to try and get brownie points.

You're the one picking at bones... all the time whining about too much
choice...

Brownie points? The only one with a brown point is you. Try pulling your
head out of your arse before speaking.

> Read the ridiculous thread about Linux Kernel v3 where, despite there
> being nothing available anywhere , Spike1 is proclaiming the "right for
> there to be a V3 kernel" even though there are no plans and no one has
> said "it can not happen". And all because someone is looking for the
> feature list of a non existent project and I have suggested that the
> kernel developers have apparently suggested that there will not be a
> need for a v3.

So what? There's been speculation for a few years now about a version 3 of
the kernel.

Who are you to be the arbiter of taste here?

Why don't you go away and start your own newsgroup?

--
Regards,

Gregory.
Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power
0
ZekeGregory (6440)
6/29/2007 5:20:06 AM
It was on, or about,  Fri, 29 Jun 2007 15:20:06 +1000, that as I was
halfway through a large jam doughnut, Gregory Shearman wrote:

> Hadron Quark wrote:
>
>> cc <scatnubbs@hotmail.com> writes:

>>> I don't troll. But even though you falsely believe I do, what harm
>>> does it do if I post some distro recommendations every now and then to
>>> hopefully hit anyone coming here from google?
>>>

>> This groups isn't about real advocacy. It's about worshipping linux and
>> striking down unbelievers. "Striking down", not converting.

More bullshit from the M$ shill.

> You don't get to be the judge of what this newsgroup is about.
>
> There's no worship of linux here. We all just use it and enjoy its ease
> of use and security.

Correct, everyone except the M$ shills & trolls that is.

>> It's about picking at bones to try and get brownie points.
>
> You're the one picking at bones... all the time whining about too much
> choice...

Whining about OpenOffice crashing "every hour", which no one else here
seems to have experienced.

> Brownie points? The only one with a brown point is you. Try pulling your
> head out of your arse before speaking.
>
>> Read the ridiculous thread about Linux Kernel v3 where, despite there
>> being nothing available anywhere , Spike1 is proclaiming the "right for
>> there to be a V3 kernel" even though there are no plans and no one has
>> said "it can not happen". And all because someone is looking for the
>> feature list of a non existent project and I have suggested that the
>> kernel developers have apparently suggested that there will not be a
>> need for a v3.
>
> So what? There's been speculation for a few years now about a version 3
> of the kernel.
>
> Who are you to be the arbiter of taste here?
>
> Why don't you go away and start your own newsgroup?

Because he knows no one would join it?

--
Using X-No-Archive suggests the post is of little value &
not worth archiving. Anyone marking *all* their posts

> Jamie Hart wrote:
>
>>> I liked cc's approach, short and suck sink, erm, succsink, oh dam,
>>> well just short then.
>>
>> I thought it was a good approach the first time he posted this.  He's
>> since posted two or three times changing nothing but the title.
>
> Probably just doing it so that he can claim to post advocacy between the
> much more numerous trollings.

A lot of our trolls have used this technique over the years at some
point or other, even our friend Gary Stewart.  A few of the more
gullible fall for it, but they are inevitably disappointed, as it really
does appear that leopards do not change their spots.

mark.kent (15323)