Linux: the OS that lost IBM investors $49 billion

IBM (a Linux company) market cap:

Mar 8 2013: $235B
Oct 2 2014: $186B

down $49 billion

(you "advocates" don't mind idiotic posts like this, do you?  You sure
don't mind when they're made by that babbling liar 7).

0
DFS

On 10/3/14 5:27 PM, Ezekiel wrote:
> "Melzzzzz" <mel@zzzzz.com> wrote in message
>> On 10/3/14 4:32 PM, DFS wrote:
>>> IBM (a Linux company) market cap:
>>>
>>> Mar 8 2013: $235B
>>> Oct 2 2014: $186B
>>>
>>> down $49 billion
>>
>> Sun does not exist anymore... and it is not because of Linux,
>> rather their investment in SPARC/Solaris.
>
> Apollo computer, Data General and DEC don't exist anymore either. What does
> any of this have to do with Sun?

It has to do with IBM. Company does not loose money on Linux for sure...

>>> (you "advocates" don't mind idiotic posts like this, do you?  You sure
>>> don't mind when they're made by that babbling liar 7).
>>>
>> Oracle is Linux company, too, and they are doing rather well.
>
> Oracle is a proprietary RDBMS company. They make their money selling
> proprietary closed-source database products.

And IBM isn't?

0
Melzzzzz

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 10:32:37 -0400, DFS wrote:

> IBM (a Linux company) market cap:
>
> Mar 8 2013: $235B
> Oct 2 2014: $186B
>
> down $49 billion
>

> (you "advocates" don't mind idiotic posts like this, do you?  You sure
> don't mind when they're made by that babbling liar 7).

lol!

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
0
us
10/3/2014 2:46:01 PM
On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 16:48:00 +0200, Melzzzzz wrote:

> On 10/3/14 4:32 PM, DFS wrote:
>> IBM (a Linux company) market cap:
>>
>> Mar 8 2013: $235B
>> Oct 2 2014: $186B
>>
>> down $49 billion
>
> Sun does not exist anymore... and it is not because of Linux,
> rather their investment in SPARC/Solaris.

It's Oracle these days.

Sun was a victim, at least in part, of selling highly proprietary
equipment at a very high price point.
Competition (Linux) came along and it could run on inexpensive gear.
No brainer for a consumer.
What kept them alive is service and support.

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
0
us
10/3/2014 2:49:34 PM
Melzzzzz wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 10/3/14 4:32 PM, DFS wrote:
>> IBM (a Linux company) market cap:
>>
>> Mar 8 2013: $235B
>> Oct 2 2014: $186B
>>
>> down $49 billion
>
> Sun does not exist anymore... and it is not because of Linux,
> rather their investment in SPARC/Solaris.
>>
>> (you "advocates" don't mind idiotic posts like this, do you?  You sure
>> don't mind when they're made by that babbling liar 7).
>
> Oracle is Linux company, too, and they are doing rather well.

And IBM and Oracle are much more than "Linux" companies.

--
nominal egg:
	New Yorkerese for expensive.
"Melzzzzz" <mel@zzzzz.com> wrote in message
> On 10/3/14 4:32 PM, DFS wrote:
>> IBM (a Linux company) market cap:
>>
>> Mar 8 2013: $235B
>> Oct 2 2014: $186B
>>
>> down $49 billion
>
> Sun does not exist anymore... and it is not because of Linux,
> rather their investment in SPARC/Solaris.

Apollo computer, Data General and DEC don't exist anymore either. What does
any of this have to do with Sun?

>> (you "advocates" don't mind idiotic posts like this, do you?  You sure
>> don't mind when they're made by that babbling liar 7).
>>
> Oracle is Linux company, too, and they are doing rather well.

Oracle is a proprietary RDBMS company. They make their money selling
proprietary closed-source database products.

--
"He (Hadron) claimed that including a null pointer in a pointer expression
would cause an exception. It was, as usual, easy to prove him wrong with a

Chris Ahlstrom - an idiot trying to pretend he knows something about
programming.
April 2, 2014
MsgId: <lhh2gr$i6g$1@dont-email.me>

0
Ezekiel
10/3/2014 3:27:27 PM
> On 10/3/14 5:27 PM, Ezekiel wrote:
>> "Melzzzzz" <mel@zzzzz.com> wrote in message

>>> Sun does not exist anymore... and it is not because of Linux,
>>> rather their investment in SPARC/Solaris.
>>
>> Apollo computer, Data General and DEC don't exist anymore either. What
>> does
>> any of this have to do with Sun?
>
> It has to do with IBM. Company does not loose money on Linux for sure...

>>> Oracle is Linux company, too, and they are doing rather well.
>>
>> Oracle is a proprietary RDBMS company. They make their money selling
>> proprietary closed-source database products.
>>
> And IBM isn't?

According to your president, "IBM is a Linux company."  Here - let me remind
you of what ZERO advocates refuted or disagreed with. If not a single
"advocate" disagreed when this was posted back then you have no right to
disagree with your retarded walrus "president" now.

<quote>
> IBM value $234.5bn = Microshaft value $235.5bn
>
> BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!
>

> After all these years of screwing customers,
> screwing governments, screwing US diplomats,
> screwing PCs, screwing PC makers, screwing
> software competitors, screwing open source,
> screwing the public with internet trolls,
> the now deflated microshaft is fscked royally from behind by IBM.
>
> All that screwing around for what?
>
> They accomplished nothing.
>
> Linux still beat them.
>
> IBM, a Linux company, is going to tower over
> microshaft again because Linux is far more
> capable than microshaft and their two bit
> MBA (non techie) management can ever hope
> to become.
>
> Also, IBM was actually ahead nearing closing time,
> but some illegal trade(r) bought millions of
> dollars worth of micorshaft shares illegally to inflate
> microshaft share price 2 minutes from closing time
> adding at least half a billion dollars in net worth
> to microshaft share value just to keep up with
> IBM share value which had up until that point
> exceeded micorshaft share valuation.
> It demands a SEC investigation.
> But the SEC is powerless against big money
> as usual.
</quote>

--
"Another one who seems to think an MD5 sum is an MD5 hash"

Chris Ahlstrom - trying hard to be technical when in reality he once again
has no clue what he's talking about.

Ezekiel
10/3/2014 3:40:55 PM
On 2014-10-03, Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us> wrote:
> Melzzzzz wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> On 10/3/14 4:32 PM, DFS wrote:
>>> IBM (a Linux company) market cap:
>>>
>>> Mar 8 2013: $235B
>>> Oct 2 2014: $186B
>>>
>>> down $49 billion
>>
>> Sun does not exist anymore... and it is not because of Linux,
>> rather their investment in SPARC/Solaris.
>>>
>>> (you "advocates" don't mind idiotic posts like this, do you?  You sure
>>> don't mind when they're made by that babbling liar 7).
>>
>> Oracle is Linux company, too, and they are doing rather well.
>
> And IBM and Oracle are much more than "Linux" companies.

     Linux is Oracle's reference platform and has been for a long time.

0
JEDIDIAH
10/3/2014 4:38:42 PM
On 2014-10-03, Melzzzzz <mel@zzzzz.com> wrote:
> On 10/3/14 5:27 PM, Ezekiel wrote:
>> "Melzzzzz" <mel@zzzzz.com> wrote in message

>>> Sun does not exist anymore... and it is not because of Linux,
>>> rather their investment in SPARC/Solaris.

    Sun could have owned the x86 Unix market if it had had a bit more vision.

>> Apollo computer, Data General and DEC don't exist anymore either. What does
>> any of this have to do with Sun?
>
> It has to do with IBM. Company does not loose money on Linux for sure...

    Contrary to what the Lemming trolls want to believe, Fortune 100 companies
use Linux for large, important, mission critical tasks and have for rather awhile
now. Sometimes, this includes buying really expensive enterprise server software
to run on that "free hobbyist OS".

>>> Oracle is Linux company, too, and they are doing rather well.
>>
>> Oracle is a proprietary RDBMS company. They make their money selling
>> proprietary closed-source database products.

     ...for Linux.

     If you had ever used their product you would be well aware of this.

     They build 100 node database clusters on Linux.

> And IBM isn't?

     IBM is more of a services company these days. Although Oracle tries
to do some of that as well. This seems to be the main focus of IBM these
days (outsourcing our IT staff).
0
JEDIDIAH
10/3/2014 4:46:21 PM
Melzzzzz wrote:

>Oracle is Linux company, too, and they are doing rather well.

Is anyone stupid enough to think that using FOSS is some sort of
guarentee of sucess?

It takes business away from Microshaft, in any case.   :-D

How many $billions have Google's investors made, due to LInux?

--
"As the old saying goes... "If you ain't cheatin,  you ain't tryin."
-  trolling fsckwit "Ezekiel", defending Micro$oft's unethical
On 14-10-03 10:48 AM, Melzzzzz wrote:
> On 10/3/14 4:32 PM, DFS wrote:
>> IBM (a Linux company) market cap:
>>
>> Mar 8 2013: $235B
>> Oct 2 2014: $186B
>>
>> down $49 billion
>
> Sun does not exist anymore... and it is not because of Linux,
> rather their investment in SPARC/Solaris.

At least they went down fighting. I'd much rather a company be unique
than do exactly the same thing as every other insignificant tech company.

>> (you "advocates" don't mind idiotic posts like this, do you?  You sure
>> don't mind when they're made by that babbling liar 7).
>>
> Oracle is Linux company, too, and they are doing rather well.

Not because of GNU/Linux though. Oracle has its own products and stands
out in a marketplace populated by a very large amount of clones.

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter
"Silver Slimer" <slvrslmr@lv.c> wrote in message
> On 14-10-03 10:48 AM, Melzzzzz wrote:
>>>
>> Oracle is Linux company, too, and they are doing rather well.
>
> Not because of GNU/Linux though. Oracle has its own products and stands
> out in a marketplace populated by a very large amount of clones.

Except that other than "advocates" here, Oracles doesn't call themselves a
"Linux company" and never has to my knowledge.

From their most recent annual report:

<quote>
PART I
Item 1. Business
General

We are the world�s largest provider of enterprise software and a leading
provider of computer hardware products and services that are engineered to
work together in the cloud and in the data center. Our offerings include
Oracle database and middleware software, application software, cloud
infrastructure, hardware systems�including computer server, storage and
networking products�and related services. We develop and maintain our
products and services to be enterprise-grade, reliable, secure and
interoperable while offering customers a choice in deployment models that
best meet their information technology (IT) needs. Our customers can
subscribe to use many Oracle software and hardware products through our
Oracle Cloud offerings, or purchase our software and hardware products and
related services to build their own internal clouds or on-premise IT
environments.
</quote>

Oracle considers themselves a database vendor. Not a "Linux company."

--
"Intel reports it has lost a third of its revenue" (New thread)

July 20, 2013
Piece of shit liar Joseph Michael from GplSquared.com (a Linux "advocate").
Truth = Intel reported that revenue dropped by 5%.

0
Ezekiel
10/3/2014 5:37:08 PM
On 14-10-03 01:13 PM, chrisv wrote:
> Melzzzzz wrote:
>
>> Oracle is Linux company, too, and they are doing rather well.
>
> Is anyone stupid enough to think that using FOSS is some sort of
> guarentee of sucess?

Yes, you. Nice spelling.

> It takes business away from Microshaft, in any case.   :-D

I haven't heard of Microshaft in years so I wouldn't be surprised if
they're already out of business. Microsoft, on the other hand, routinely
humiliates GNU/Linux-centric companies with its high earnings.

> How many $billions have Google's investors made, due to LInux?

I know that Google made a lot of money selling the Android operating
system which uses the Linux kernel but that kernel alone has not
actually brought them any kind of money. People buy Android ones to use
Android, not to use Linux.

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter
Help control the parasite population, have your GNU/Linux advocate
spayed or neutered.
0
Silver
10/3/2014 6:03:15 PM
On 14-10-03 01:37 PM, Ezekiel wrote:
> "Silver Slimer" <slvrslmr@lv.c> wrote in message
>> On 14-10-03 10:48 AM, Melzzzzz wrote:
>>>>
>>> Oracle is Linux company, too, and they are doing rather well.
>>
>> Not because of GNU/Linux though. Oracle has its own products and stands
>> out in a marketplace populated by a very large amount of clones.
>
> Except that other than "advocates" here, Oracles doesn't call themselves a
> "Linux company" and never has to my knowledge.
>
>  From their most recent annual report:
>
> <quote>
> PART I
> Item 1. Business
> General
>
> We are the world�s largest provider of enterprise software and a leading
> provider of computer hardware products and services that are engineered to
> work together in the cloud and in the data center. Our offerings include
> Oracle database and middleware software, application software, cloud
> infrastructure, hardware systems�including computer server, storage and
> networking products�and related services. We develop and maintain our
> products and services to be enterprise-grade, reliable, secure and
> interoperable while offering customers a choice in deployment models that
> best meet their information technology (IT) needs. Our customers can
> subscribe to use many Oracle software and hardware products through our
> Oracle Cloud offerings, or purchase our software and hardware products and
> related services to build their own internal clouds or on-premise IT
> environments.
> </quote>
>
> Oracle considers themselves a database vendor. Not a "Linux company."

To be successful, it's best NOT to mention any kind of reliance on
Linux. IBM routinely mentioned Linux and they're now worth half what
Microsoft is.

Google is another corporation which learned its lesson and stays away
from the idea of mentioning Linux.

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter
Help control the parasite population, have your GNU/Linux advocate
spayed or neutered.
0
Silver
10/3/2014 6:08:55 PM
On Friday, October 3, 2014 10:32:37 AM UTC-4, DFS wrote:

> Mar 8 2013: $235B
>
> Oct 2 2014: $186B
>
> down $49 billion

LOL - You call that a post?

How pathetic.  References ... Links ...

You know, where are the details DFS?
0
John
10/3/2014 6:25:57 PM
On 10/3/2014 2:25 PM, John Gohde wrote:
> On Friday, October 3, 2014 10:32:37 AM UTC-4, DFS wrote:
>>
>> Mar 8 2013: $235B
>>
>> Oct 2 2014: $186B
>>
>> down $49 billion
>

> LOL - You call that a post?
>
> How pathetic.  References ... Links ...
>
> You know, where are the details DFS?

You can only see the links if you're running Windows 7...

0
DFS
10/3/2014 10:31:58 PM
On 10/03/2014 09:32 AM, DooFuS doofed:

> IBM (a Linux company) market cap:
>
> Mar 8 2013: $235B
> Oct 2 2014: $186B
>
> down $49 billion

Why doesn't IBM's CEO and its Board of Directors know that Linux is
directly responsible for the decline in their stock value?

Have you applied for the CEO position, or at least for a seat on their
Board?  They obviously need a... er... 'smart' fellow such as yourself
to show them the error of their ways...

> (you "advocates" don't mind idiotic posts like this, do you?

Why should anybody object to your self-deprecation?

0
Nobody

Linux, Linux, Linux

[News] [Linux] IBM Brings Linux to AIX and i5/OS Machines Using New Software
IBM Previews Virtualization Management Tool for Power-Based Boxes ,----[ Quote ] | ...Virtual Availability Manager, within the Systems Director | Virtualization Manager tool will allow customers who deploy a Xen | hypervisor on their Linux-on-X64 servers to create what IBM is | calling a "high availability farm" that can be used to rehost | virtual machine partitions that are taken out by crashes. `---- http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh062507-story07.html On Jun 25, 11:06 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@schestowitz.com> wrote: > IBM Previews Virtualization Management To...

os.linux.advocacy
Dear Friend, I have found some great articles at: http://www.familyandtwist.com/ http:www.articlestwist.com/ http://www.downloadstwist.com/ http://www.wallpaperstwist.com/ Read them all. Thanks mahmar07@gmail.com came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard a moment ago in comp.os.linux.advocacy: > Dear Friend, > > I have found some great articles at: > <URLs snipped> > Read them all. > > Thanks Not without a summary, I ain't. -- Spanking brand new high end desktop computer: £1700 Spanking brand new colour laser printer/scanner/copier/fax...

No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size being = too small on my 19 inch monitor. As Moi was saying... I tried two more additional downloads of elementary OS Linux. Both of them= likewise failed. While they could have been discriminating against Moi for his ZERO contribu= tion, I will be damned if I am going to PAY GOOD money for something when t= here is no guarantee that the stupid DOWNLOAD wont fail, JUST TO FIND OUT t= hat it WONT work at all on my computer hardware, let alone whether OR NOT i= t will actually do what is being claimed. Mo...

[News] Mobile Linux Runs Palm OS Applications; New 3G Linux Phones; Open Linux Phone Made More Attractive
Mobile Linux running Palm OS apps demoed ,----[ Quote ] | Access hopes ALP and its Eclipse-based Developer Suite will | provide a long-awaited forward migration path for the many | thousands of "Garnet OS" (recently renamed from "Palm OS") | applications developed throughout the decades since "Palm-Pilot" | first became a household word, in the 1980s. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2968683379.html Linux powers pair of 3G dual-mode phones ,----[ Quote ] | MontaVista says its device-oriented Linux operating system was | used in two new 3G business sma...

ROX Linux and ROX on OS X and arm linux
Hi I've just just done some searches on Google for ROX linux, and ROX on other platforms. I've not managed to find anything. Is ROX available for OS X? Is ROX available for Acorn\Iyonix Arm linux? Did ROX Linux ever come to anything? I was a member of the mailing list a while ago, it started off interesting and then seemed to go off on a tangent then it all went quiet. It seemed like an excellent idea, a linux distro structured like RISC OS. It would have been an ideal compliment to a RISC OS system, same UI but different set of applications (probably not quite so consiste...

[News] [Linux] Walkthroughs of Sidux (Linux) and Nexenta OS
Nexenta OS Alpha 7 Screenshot Tour ,----[ Quote ] | Nexenta OS (elatte) Alpha 7 is now available. Release Highlights: | OpenSolaris & NWS build 61 (non-debug); installer - new | partitioning wizard, installer log (via F3), usabilityf | ixes, built-in driver availability detection... `---- http://osdir.com/Article9845.phtml sidux 2007-02 Preview 1 Screenshot Tour ,----[ Quote ] | What's on the menu: Debian sid, up to date as of 2007-05-13; kernel | 2.6.21.1 (SMP, voluntary preemption, mac80211); minimal, but fully | functional KDE 3.5.6 (en + de); completely overhauled early boot | ...

OT: linux, FC5 (having trouble with alt.os.linux)
I apologize profusely for posting this topic to this newsgroup but either I'm having trouble with alt.os.linux (going on a few days now) or it's having trouble and I don't know which it is (maybe some one else knows). I figured someone here would be knowledgeable enough to help me and/or let me know if my posting problems are mine or the newsgroups (BTW, I've posted from my work and home without luck but they may both use the same ISP). Well, if you've read this far...here's my (attempted?) post to the other group: Topic: shutdown broadcast not showing up for us...

[News] [Linux] Linux Has Advantage in the Mobile OS World
How Linux morphed from a server to a mobile OS ,----[ Quote ] | When evaluating Linux as a possible OS candidate, it is important to | remember that the Linux "model" for mobile devices is horizontal. That | is, Linux is not presented as a vertically integrated top to bottom | solution for a mobile device supplied by one vendor. | | It's a sharp contrast to the other OS suppliers such as Microsoft | with Windows Mobile, Symbian and PalmSource. These suppliers | support a highly integrated software stack, incorporating not | only an OS but also extensive middleware and applicati...

My Linux is not your Linux
To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy! So many people demonstrate in this newsgroup that they know only a Linux of Hatred and Greed, of paranoia, and of a selfish sense of entitlement. They seem always to be behaving like monkeys in reaction to human dissenters, throwing feces at one another and beating their chests pretending to know something. My Linux is not that Linux. My Linux is the Linux of Love, of sharing, friendship, community. It is a uniquely human Linux and not one for monkeys. When I speak with fellow Linux users in real life (i.e. not in the monkeyhouse of COLA) they remin...

I have Linux! I have Linux!

Linux!! Linux!!
From http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.misc/about This month 16 t...@invalid.invalid 15 ahlstr...@launchmodem.com 14 goldee_loxnbag...@gmail.com 10 jhas...@newsguy.com 9 mil...@yoyo.org 9 hel...@deepsoft.com 9 hadronqu...@gmail.com 8 ronb02nos...@gmail.com 7 secret...@lxny.org 7 ignoramus8...@nospam.8345.invalid All time 5421 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 4508 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 3530 j...@dhh.gt.org 3066 hel...@deepsoft.com 2991 nike_jordan_...@yahoo.com.cn 2651 jdbe...@exit109.com 2474 gra...@visi.com 2216 nikejordangoo...@hotmail.com 1890 rkiesl...@mainmatte...

How were u introduce to Linux & what was ur 1st Linux OS???
my experience is available at http://groups.google.co.in/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_thread/thread/6fb0ed2888acab2e?hl=en# v cube wrote: > my experience is available at > http://groups.google.co.in/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_thread thread/6fb0ed2888acab2e?hl=en# You should try all the livecds. They are free to copy and boot up without having to install - saves you days of work when evaluating different distros. http://www.livecdlist.com free to copy and install on as many machines as you wish. PCs a heck of a lot cheap these days too. At least 3 different Linux PCs ...

Web resources about - Linux: the OS that lost IBM investors $49 billion - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Home - Investor Newswire
Needham raises PT for First Solar, Inc. (NASDAQ:FSLR) and cuts PT for Micron Technology, Inc. (NASDAQ:MU) Foraying Into PC Games, Amazon.com, ...

Investor Wired - Equity Analysis and Investment News
Industry leader in Business Insight and Analysis

Proactive Investors North America, Breaking Financial News on Mining, Commodities, Stocks, Shares and ...
Financial news, CEO interviews, investor events an more on public companies on the, TSX, TSX-V, OTCBB, NYSE, NASDAQ, S&P 500, Dow Jones, ASX, ...

Euromoney Institutional Investor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Company is currently the market leader on international financial publishing and event organisation. As well as its flagship title Euromoney ...

Last-Minute Investors Shut Out Of Facebook IPO
He (or she) who hesitates is lost when it comes to purchasing shares in Facebook’s initial public offering Friday, as several brokers have reportedly ...

Why investors should care about the Super Bowl
Jarryd Hayne&nbsp;hasn't played for weeks,&nbsp;but Australians should still keep an eye on American football as it approaches the end-of-season ...

Fortune: Investors are bracing for the iPhone’s first down quarter
... upcoming announcements. Fortune indicates that Apple may actually report the “most profitable quarter in the history of capitalism”, but investors ...

Uber, Xiaomi et al. Collapsing: There Will Be Pain for Public Investors, Says Accel’s Breyer
Accel Partners's Jim Breyer predicts pain for public institutional investors in Uber and other "Unicorns" as valuations come down. Commentary ...

Investors are 'universally negative' on Twitter and its future
... at the company. Bob Peck at SunTrust, who has a "Buy" rating and $26 price target on the stock, wrote in a note early Monday that, " Investors ...

​Where legal pot states are looking for investors
Outside their borders, which would mean changing a host of regulations to allow nonresidents to invest