Linux users have to install by pushing floppy after floppy into drive says MICROS~1

EV1Servers.net
Leading Hosted Service Provider Deploys Windows-based Hosting
Solutions Faster than Linux-based Solutions

case study Posted: September 15, 2003

"Automated Deployment Services (ADS)�a powerful new server purposing
tool in Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition"

"Business managers at EV1 Servers.net knew that there was a demand for
a Microsoft Windows-based hosted service offering"

"Executives at the company were well aware that customers were making
inquiries about purchasing dedicated hosting services built on the
Microsoft� Windows� operating system"

"EV1 Servers.net personnel knew how to deploy a Linux-based server
quickly. They had script-filled floppies ready to go, and on a
moment's notice they could slip a floppy into a bare Dell PowerEdge
1600SC and walk away"

"By pushing floppy after floppy into the drive of a bare metal server,
EV1 Servers.net's data center team could easily meet the demand for
1,000 new servers per week"

"Unless they could find a way to bring that level of automation to the
deployment of a Windows-based server, they saw no way to meet a
similar level of demand for Windows-based hosting services"

"With the Microsoft Solution for Windows-based Hosting, EV1
Servers.net personnel would not even have to go from machine to
machine inserting floppies"

"ADS made it possible to deploy a server running Microsoft Windows
Server 2003 with Internet Information Services 6.0 and Ensim
WEBppliance Pro in a mere 18 minutes".

Furthermore, this process was completely automated. Deploying the same
server running Linux and Ensim WEBppliance 3.1 took nearly 45 minutes
and still required manual intervention for each server"

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/casestudies/CaseStudy.asp?CaseStudyID=%2014464

Dear boss of EV1,
If you let us cite you as proof of a business running lower TCO we
will give you Windows licenses for free. Please 'purchase' an SCO
license so we can trash Open Source some more.<end>

and pigs will fly .. and shit sells .. well the last bit is true at
least :)
0
doug_mentohl (470)

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 05:03:18AM -0800, Daeron wrote:
> EV1Servers.net
> Leading Hosted Service Provider Deploys Windows-based Hosting
> Solutions Faster than Linux-based Solutions

And they still bought Linux kernel licenses from SCO, even thought
windows is so much better.  Strange.

--
GNU/Linux revenues last quarter: $1 Billion.
micros~1  revenues last quarter: $4 Billion.
On 2004-03-03, Daeron <doug_mentohl@yahoo.co.uk> blubbered:
> EV1Servers.net
> Leading Hosted Service Provider Deploys Windows-based Hosting
> Solutions Faster than Linux-based Solutions

> "ADS made it possible to deploy a server running Microsoft Windows
> Server 2003 with Internet Information Services 6.0 and Ensim
> WEBppliance Pro in a mere 18 minutes".

Spreads like a virus, then.

> Furthermore, this process was completely automated. Deploying the same
> server running Linux and Ensim WEBppliance 3.1 took nearly 45 minutes
> and still required manual intervention for each server"

And like worms, too.

MICROS~1 Winders Slaver 2003: The efficiency of a worm with the speed
of a virus, all in one neat little (bloated, overpriced) package.

--
When you boil it down to the essentials, it's because Linux is
designed  to be *used* and Windows is designed to be *sold*.

Daeron wrote:

> EV1Servers.net
> Leading Hosted Service Provider Deploys Windows-based Hosting
> Solutions Faster than Linux-based Solutions
>
> case study Posted: September 15, 2003
>
> "Automated Deployment Services (ADS)�a powerful new server purposing
> tool in Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition"
>
> "Business managers at EV1 Servers.net knew that there was a demand for
> a Microsoft Windows-based hosted service offering"
>
> "Executives at the company were well aware that customers were making
> inquiries about purchasing dedicated hosting services built on the
> Microsoft� Windows� operating system"
>
> "EV1 Servers.net personnel knew how to deploy a Linux-based server
> quickly. They had script-filled floppies ready to go, and on a
> moment's notice they could slip a floppy into a bare Dell PowerEdge
> 1600SC and walk away"
>
> "By pushing floppy after floppy into the drive of a bare metal server,
> EV1 Servers.net's data center team could easily meet the demand for
> 1,000 new servers per week"
>
> "Unless they could find a way to bring that level of automation to the
> deployment of a Windows-based server, they saw no way to meet a
> similar level of demand for Windows-based hosting services"
>
> "With the Microsoft Solution for Windows-based Hosting, EV1
> Servers.net personnel would not even have to go from machine to
> machine inserting floppies"
>
> "ADS made it possible to deploy a server running Microsoft Windows
> Server 2003 with Internet Information Services 6.0 and Ensim
> WEBppliance Pro in a mere 18 minutes".
>
> Furthermore, this process was completely automated. Deploying the same
> server running Linux and Ensim WEBppliance 3.1 took nearly 45 minutes
> and still required manual intervention for each server"
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/casestudies/CaseStudy.asp?CaseStudyID=%2014464
>
> Dear boss of EV1,
> If you let us cite you as proof of a business running lower TCO we
> will give you Windows licenses for free. Please 'purchase' an SCO
> license so we can trash Open Source some more.<end>
>
> and pigs will fly .. and shit sells .. well the last bit is true at
> least :)

Anybody collecting these "case studies" for future reference?

0
os21 (169)
3/3/2004 6:49:49 PM
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Daeron
<doug_mentohl@yahoo.co.uk>
 wrote
on 3 Mar 2004 05:03:18 -0800
<da46811d.0403030503.6b4eb09b@posting.google.com>:
> EV1Servers.net
> Leading Hosted Service Provider Deploys Windows-based Hosting
> Solutions Faster than Linux-based Solutions
>
> case study Posted: September 15, 2003
>
> "Automated Deployment Services (ADS)�a powerful new server purposing
> tool in Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition"
>
> "Business managers at EV1 Servers.net knew that there was a demand for
> a Microsoft Windows-based hosted service offering"
>
> "Executives at the company were well aware that customers were making
> inquiries about purchasing dedicated hosting services built on the
> Microsoft� Windows� operating system"
>
> "EV1 Servers.net personnel knew how to deploy a Linux-based server
> quickly. They had script-filled floppies ready to go, and on a
> moment's notice they could slip a floppy into a bare Dell PowerEdge
> 1600SC and walk away"
>
> "By pushing floppy after floppy into the drive of a bare metal server,
> EV1 Servers.net's data center team could easily meet the demand for
> 1,000 new servers per week"
>
> "Unless they could find a way to bring that level of automation to the
> deployment of a Windows-based server, they saw no way to meet a
> similar level of demand for Windows-based hosting services"
>
> "With the Microsoft Solution for Windows-based Hosting, EV1
> Servers.net personnel would not even have to go from machine to
> machine inserting floppies"
>
> "ADS made it possible to deploy a server running Microsoft Windows
> Server 2003 with Internet Information Services 6.0 and Ensim
> WEBppliance Pro in a mere 18 minutes".
>
> Furthermore, this process was completely automated. Deploying the same
> server running Linux and Ensim WEBppliance 3.1 took nearly 45 minutes
> and still required manual intervention for each server"
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/casestudies/CaseStudy.asp?CaseStudyID=%2014464

Most modern PCs have the ability to boot from CD-ROM.  Gentoo in particular
has LiveCD.  RedHat has been able to boot from CD since at least 7.2
(sadly, my 5.2 copy at home does not have this capability) and probably
eariler.

Why anyone would have to play "feed the floppy drive" I don't know.
It's far easier to:

[1] download an ISO of a CD.
[2] burn zillions of copies -- all legally!
[3] stick a CD into a baremetal unit.

Color me slightly puzzled.

Another variant is to create a live CD, then use it as the
bootmedia, with the disk either being used for all data,
or there being no hard drive at all, and the machine would
have a RAM-only tmpfs.  This might be great for some very
specialized "static website" usages, or a prebuilt appserver
system with a database on another box, if logfiles can be
sent through syslog or something.

If there *is* a requirement to play "shove the floppy", allow me
to suggest a GRUB floppy (stage1 + stage2), coupled with a TFTPBOOT
server and a specially constructed kernel and initial RAM drive.
Actually, the kernel's not *that* special; one merely has to
tweak the maximum RAMdisk size, so as to allow for a nice fat RAMDisk.
If one wants to use utilities such as busybox instead, in an attempt
to cut down RAM usage, that's fine too.

Or one can go with the more traditional NFSboot solution.  I've not
tried that with Gentoo yet but they do have instructions.

With Linux (or FreeBSD), one can.

> Dear boss of EV1,
> If you let us cite you as proof of a business running lower TCO we
> will give you Windows licenses for free. Please 'purchase' an SCO
> license so we can trash Open Source some more.<end>
>
> and pigs will fly .. and shit sells .. well the last bit is true at
> least :)

Depends on the animal.  I've heard goose shit is the absolute worst,
for example.  Also, carnivorous waste is not suitable for agriculture.

:-)

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
0
ewill (4394)
3/4/2004 12:59:39 AM
0
dev98 (284)
3/4/2004 3:32:25 AM
The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> Why anyone would have to play "feed the floppy drive" I don't know.

Especially puzzling, considering that EV1 atleast before they had windows
servers, just ghosted drives to install Linux.

0
shadowjksp (227)

Linux users have to install by pushing floppy after floppy into drive says MICROS~1 #2
EV1Servers.net Leading Hosted Service Provider Deploys Windows-based Hosting Solutions Faster than Linux-based Solutions case study Posted: September 15, 2003 "Automated Deployment Services (ADS)�a powerful new server purposing tool in Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition" "Business managers at EV1 Servers.net knew that there was a demand for a Microsoft Windows-based hosted service offering" "Executives at the company were well aware that customers were making inquiries about purchasing dedicated hosting services built on the Microsoft� Windows� operat...

Trouble Installing Linux/Cisco VPN Client Has anyone had trouble compiling the linux cisco vpn client? Here is the output of the install script: # uname -rviosm Linux 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl #1
Has anyone had trouble compiling the linux cisco vpn client? Here is the output of the install script: # uname -rviosm Linux 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl #1 Wed Apr 21 20:19:18 EDT 2004 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux ../vpn_install Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.0.3 (B) Linux Installer Copyright (C) 1998-2001 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved. By installing this product you agree that you have read the license.txt file (The VPN Client license) and will comply with its terms. Directory where binaries will be installed [/usr/local/bin] Automatically start the VPN service at boot time [yes] In order to build the VPN kernel module, you must have the kernel headers for the version of the kernel you are running. For RedHat 6.x users these files are installed in /usr/src/linux by default For RedHat 7.x users these files are installed in /usr/src/linux-2.4 by default For Suse 7.3 users these files are installed in /usr/src/linux-2.4.10.SuSE by de fault Directory containing linux kernel source code [/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2188.nptl/b uild] * Binaries will be installed in "/usr/local/bin". * Modules will be installed in "/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2188.nptl/CiscoVPN". * The VPN service will be started AUTOMATICALLY at boot time. * Kernel source from "/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2188.nptl/build" will be used to bui ld the module. Is the above correct [y] y Making module In file included from Cniapi.h:15, from linuxcniapi.c:24: GenDefs.h...

[News] [Linux] Advantages of Linux Listed, Vista Drives Another User to Linux
5 reasons to use Ubuntu and not Windows ,----[ Quote ] | Freedom of choice | | A stable system that doesn't have to be renewed | | Competition is good for technological progress | | Software is there to do a job, not to benefit a company | | The many, many little things `---- http://ubuntudaily.com/2007/05/10/5-reasons-to-use-ubuntu-and-not-windows/ Open source and Linux looking better every day ,----[ Quote ] | Vista Home Basic - How do you figure out all these different | versions available? Thankfully a desktop shortcut to download | an upgrade - the upgrade treadmill head start program? | | [...] | | Added openSUSE - dual boot, so I can use both. `---- http://www.networkworld.com/community/?q=node/14993 ...

Question:Can I boot from a floppy disk and install Linux from an external USB2.0 Drive
Hi, If I had made a linux file system on external USB2.0 drive then download the latest version of the Linux installation image files on it for friend's brand new machine Linux installtion, is there a specific boot floppy disk with USB driver built in for external USB drive installation. I knew the network boot disk can allow to do that installation on the local area network using the mounting way. But if this brand new machine is just a stand alone machine. If there is a way to do the installation using USB drive, then I can avoid the tedious buring CD image process and...

MAC SE Floppy Drive 1.4 meg Floppy Drive (old)
I acquired a MAC SE with a 1.4 meg floppy drive. Previously I only had a Plus with an 800K floppy drive. When I tried to format one of my old disks, it still only had 800K. Did the 1.4 meg floppy drives use special disks? Or am I doing something wrong? Thank you, Bill Bill Bagot <wbagot1@san.rr.com> wrote: > I acquired a MAC SE with a 1.4 meg floppy drive. Previously I only > had a Plus with an 800K floppy drive. When I tried to format one of > my old disks, it still only had 800K. Did the 1.4 meg floppy drives > use special disks? Or am I doing something wrong? ...

I have Linux! I have Linux!

install linux without floppy and cdrom
I have an very old Fujitsu S-series notebook. It does not have internal floppy and cdrom, just has expanson slots (Fujitsu proprietary) for floppy and cdrom but I lose both floppy and cdrom drives. Now the question is how can I install linux without floppy and cdrom? I know I can install via network, but how can I boot it firstly? <bolero92@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet news:1104843619.552400.8940@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... >I have an very old Fujitsu S-series notebook. > It does not have internal floppy and cdrom, > just has expanson slots (Fujitsu proprietary) for floppy and cdrom > but I lose both floppy and cdrom drives. > > Now the question is how can I install linux without floppy and cdrom? > I know I can install via network, but how can I boot it firstly? > One thing you can do is to move the HD to another laptop ( or regular PC with a special cable ) and install the files needed for installation from network. Some hints here: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/40/2004/04/4/172968 On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 05:00:19 -0800, bolero92 wrote: > I have an very old Fujitsu S-series notebook. > It does not have internal floppy and cdrom, > just has expanson slots (Fujitsu proprietary) for floppy and cdrom > but I lose both floppy and cdrom drives. > > Now the question is how can I install linux without floppy and cdrom? > I know I can install via network, but how ...

Why linux is linux

My Linux is not your Linux

linux users
linux users - "What the hell is happening here" (linux install sucks) Sounds like typical lienux install. Nothing detected or work properly. BAWAWAWAWWAWA!!!!!! http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=414082 I therefore decide to wait ptiently for the official 'No warts' vesion of Feisty Nightmare!!!!! I have had no end of problems and as I sit here now I am cataloguing the numerous error that seem to be being diplayed.. First I got a message that certain programs could not be installed and that the system might be un-stable The sytem then froze!! After threee reboo...

how to configure linux for cdrom,floppy and hard drive
dear sir, i have just started learning linux and recently installed it on my machine. but the problem is i am unable to use floppy ,cdrom as well as harddisk. there is one message which says while booting that no automount found. what i need to do so as to make floppy ,cdrom work and harddisk work??(i have installed win2000 also.but i couldn't see that drive. also i cant play the rich graphics games like tux races and etc.the system runs too slow when i start that game application.though i am not getting probelm while playing any kind of game in win 2000.i doubt probably i have forgot to ...

2 PCs, 1 Linux install/drive?
Any and All, I have 2 PCs in different offices. I 'move' between them every week, and want to take my data, etc with me. Both PCs have a removable drive setup. Both have a 'frame' into one of the available external bays. I have a 30GB hard drive into a 'tray' that I will carry between the 2 PCs. I want to install Linux on the removable drive, something like this: 1> Linux Installed for Home1PC with boot diskette 2> Linux Installed for Home2PC with boot diskette 3> My data, programs, etc, available to both installations How can I do this? The two PCs are different, in at least these particulars: a) one has Athlon, other Pentium3, both 1MHz b) one has 540MB, other 384MB c) Home1PC's SwapDrive is Drive D: (hdb?) (two hard drives) Home2PC's SwapDrive is Drive F: (has 5 hard drives) d) Both have WinXP OS, NTFS e) one has wired ethernet, other wireless ethernet I installed Linux on various PCs available to me from 1995 to 2000. I started with Red Hat 4.2, then 5, the Suse 6.3, 7.0, & 7.3 I did these installs on at 4 different PCs in that time I DO NOT want dual boot on any of these PCs So, how do I proceed? Thanks, Bob Hyatt Bob Hyatt scribbled: > Any and All, > > I have 2 PCs in different offices. I 'move' between them every week, and > want to take my data, etc with me. > > Both PCs have a removable drive setup. Both have a 'frame' into on...

New Linux User, in Linpus Linux Lite--HELP W/Wine install
I am a new convert to linus, brought in by a dislike of MS cost and the new portable UMPCs. I am trying to intstall wine, among other application, but I et the following: Wine Installer v1.0 Running configure... checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no checking for gcc... no checking for cc... no checking for cl.exe... no configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH See `config.log' for more details. Configure failed, aborting install. Press <ENTER...

Linux Beginner, Which Linux to install?
I want to install linux, but i know nothing about it. IS there any good website for beginner? Which linux you guys recommended for beginner? Also, what is the minimum system requirement ? Thanks! marslee@hotmail.com wrote: > IS there any good website for beginner? > Which linux you guys recommended for beginner? > Also, what is the minimum system requirement ? Hi marslee, if you have got a fast&cheap inet connection, why not try gentoo? it sure is a bitch to install, but as soon as you get it up&running (give it a week or two) its cool. gentoo compiles itself on your machine, but forget the "optimized-system-gives-3%-performance-gain" aspect, i love it because it works smooth and is easy to maintain. e.g., software install or complete system update takes you exactly one command. each. documentation is very good, step-by step, and there are also wiki's and how-to's. if gentoo is not your thing, you can always resort to suse (fool-proof install; but updating means reinstall and gettings things like dvd play to work is a real pain in the y'know) or knoppix (save your /home and settings to a usb-stick; runs from live cd). HTH, florian (gentoo-noob) ah yeah, system requirement for a non-graphical linux is like *486 cpu and stuff, so if your box is newer than three years, it should do fine. <marslee@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1119510779.706073.70580@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups...

Linux and audio? Here is what a Linux user is up against!!!
http://www.nakack.net/?p=19 Shuttle SN25P Sound I just bought a new machine a few days ago and lo and behold, the sound isn't supported yet. It's the onboard sound chip from a shuttle FN25 board in the SN25P chassis (nforce4, socket 939). Or, at least not out of the box in ubuntu hoary. The driver that this thing uses is the 'ice1724' module. Here's how I got it to work... 1st off, when I would modprobe the default kernel module, I'd receive these messages in the kernel ring buffer (dmesg): ice1724: Invalid EEPROM (size = 255) ICE1724: probe of 0000:05:06.0 failed ...

Linux advocate (as opposed to "advocate") supports 1% Linux user share
http://thepcspy.com/read/one-percent-myth-is-pretty-accurate/ Dumb Willie, get in here and tell us how MS says in their SEC filing that Linux user share is up to 14%. On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 19:37:02 -0400, DFS wrote: > http://thepcspy.com/read/one-percent-myth-is-pretty-accurate/ > > > Dumb Willie, get in here and tell us how MS says in their SEC filing > that Linux user share is up to 14%. The comments are hysterical..... Of course the Linturds are blaming it on a Microsoft conspiracy. ...

yellowdog linux 3.1 boot floppy image
Need help finding a boot floppy image(s) for YellowDog Linux 3.1 so I can install it on my PowerMac 5500. Thanks. Mark ...

Linux users: arrogant teenagers says knowledgeable poster; Linux freezes several times a week
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999-2/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html # puterdood posted Sun Oct 17 20:05:59 PDT 2010 I gave Linux an honest try as a desktop OS. As a long-time computer guy, from the good old days of DOS, I am used to learning new OS's and dissecting them to learn their secrets. When I was very new to Linux, I was enthused at the idea of having a worldwide community of user support. What I found, to my dismay and great disappointment, was that these "experts" had absolutely no intention of helping less experience users with Linux. When I would post a question, nearly all of the responses were nothing more than telling me what an idiot I was for asking a question to learn more about Linux. I finally stopped posting questions and simply learned Linux on my own without any support. I realize now that these Linux "experts" are most likely teenagers who think they know it all and they set out to prove it through arrogance. Needless to say, it has put a very bad taste for Linux in my mouth. In contrast, I can post questions on the various forums related to Windows, one being Technet, and rarely have I been greeted with such arrogance and animosity as I have with Linux users. At one time, I believed Linux could have been a viable option as a desktop OS. Over the past year or so, I have come to realize that Linux is basically just a novelty OS. Linux proponents claim that it never crashes, never has any trouble with ...

[News] [Linux] Number of American Linux Users Doubled in the Past Year, Says Game Developer
Installfest touts Linux's freedom ,----[ Quote ] | Over the last year, the number of Linux users in the United States has | doubled, said Arc Riley, a game developer. And when you listen to some of | the members of the Ithaca Free Software Association, it's not hard to | figure out why they're excited about a movement toward Linux. `---- http://www.theithacajournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=%2F20070618%2FNEWS01%2F706180322%2F1002 http://tinyurl.com/2l6otx Related: CCID Consulting: China's Linux Market up by 30.9% in 2007Q1 ,----[ Quote ] | As for industry segmen...

[News] [Linux] More Users and More Choice in Linux Makes Users Happier
A Linux User in Vista-land: Finishing Up ,----[ Quote ] | And finally, Vista has not gotten it straight with multiple users. In linux | you can simply switch users, over multiple f’s (f7-f11 for X users, | f1-f6 for terminal users). With Vista switching back and forth between | users is nowhere near as quick. Its logout, select user, enter password, | and then see other desktop, with 1-2 second gaps between each of these | operations. `---- http://nosrednaekim.wordpress.com/2007/06/19/a-linux-user-in-vista-land-finishing-up/ Zen of Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The beauty of Linux is that the...

linux today
bawawawa!!!! linux. I hate it already!!!! http://fr.linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2010081101435OSMR The consistent failure of Linux to grab even 1% of the desktop OS market Aug 11, 2010 "Linux has been around for almost two decades now. It has become a resounding success as a server OS (for example as the L in the famous LAMP stack), and more recently as a mobile OS (Android). But what about on the desktop? "Linux enthusiasts have been predicting the rise of Linux as a desktop OS for the better part of a decade. To name just one of many examples, in 2003, Siemens Business Systems predicted that Linux would have captured 20% of the desktop market by 2008. "Well, it's now 2010, and desktop Linux isn't even close to 20%. Or one tenth of that." On 2010-10-10, One Shot, One-Kill <fredie@gmail.com> wrote: One snot, one shill wanks on about the shrinking "desktop market"... Who the fuck cares about "the desktop"? Oh, I know ....WINTROLLS... Is there even a desktop "market" any more? Linux is EVERYWHERE! It's on your router..it's in your TV it's on your phone... -- Regards, Gregory. Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power On 10 Oct 2010 05:36:07 GMT, Gregory Shearman <ZekeGregory@netscape.net> wrote: > One snot, one shill wanks on about the shrinking "desktop market"... > Who the fuck cares about "the desktop"? What a total joke he ...

Munich Mayor says Linux has reduced user complains, projects saved money, and more PCs got Linuxed
Munich Mayor says Linux has reduced user complains, projects saved money, and more PCs got Linuxed -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/enterprise/3348285/munich-mayor-says-switch-linux-saved-money-reduced-complaints/ Windopws is a support nightmare: "The maximum number of complaints was 70 per month before the beginning of the switch to LiMux. After the number of LiMux workplaces increased from 1,500 to 9,500, the maximum number of complaints per month dropped to 46. This leaves Ude to conclude that the decline in complaints was due to the migration to LiMux " The whole world knows this and Munich is restating the same thing in a different way. ...

[News] A Look at GNU/Linux Distributions Igelle 1.0.0, Zenwalk Linux, Salix OS, and GoblinX

Web resources about - Linux users have to install by pushing floppy after floppy into drive says MICROS~1 - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ah ain't long for this whorl - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I played with a fingerprint scanner that has been floating around the office. In the MICROS~1 world, they're black boxes that one can authenticate ...

Long filename - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Long filenames ( LFN ), are Microsoft 's way of implementing filenames longer than the 8.3 filename , or short-filename, naming scheme used in ...

Index - fat32-lib - The starting page for the fat32-lib wiki. - A Java library for manipulating FAT ...
This library allows to manipulate FAT file systems using the Java programming language. Because of it's age and simplicity, FAT can be called ...

Microsoft One-liner Digest [rec.humor.funny]
Since folks seem inclined to rag on Microsoft, I compiled a quick digest. These are jokes which are funny, but which didn't really warrant posting ...

Tilde Definition
A tilde (pronounced TILL-duh) is a short, curvy horizontal line character that is located on the upper left on most keyboards, usually on the ...

Ah ain't long for this whorl
I played with a fingerprint scanner that has been floating around the office. In the MICROS~1 world, they're black boxes that one can authenticate ...

8.3 filename - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(also called a short filename or SFN ) is a filename convention used by old versions of DOS , versions of Microsoft Windows prior to Windows ...