Microsoft: 'Kin not a Microsoft phone'

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=5876&tag=wrapper;col1

I guess they once again found a few idiots that want to build the
phones AND take the risk if they flop.

I don't understand them being utterly blind to the fact that Microsoft
always wins with this model: if the phone is a hit THEY benefit, but if
it flops they'll just shrug and'll say: 'better luck next time.' But
the manufacturer takes the HIT and is left with thousands if not
millions of phones they'll have to sell at a loss.

After Zune flopped Microsoft couldn't find anyone that wanted to build
the phones and sell them under their own brand name. Instead Microsoft
had to turn to OEM manufacturers to churn out the Zunes for them.
However, if Zune flops it's MICROSOFT who will be bleeding, not the
OEM's. Needless to say, it now looks like Zune will be going the way of
the dodo since M$ lost tens of millions selling them.

I'd have thought that the same thing would happen to the 'Pink' (gay)
phone, but I guess the idiots still willing to make them will need one
more costly flop to convince them this is a bad rap for them.

0
Reply Non 4/16/2010 1:40:43 AM

See related articles to this posting

comp.os.linux.advocacy 117910 articles. 12 followers. Post

Microsoft: 'Kin not a Microsoft phone'
http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=5876&tag=wrapper;col1 I guess they once again found a few idiots that want to build the phones AND take the risk if they flop. I don't understand them being utterly blind to the fact that Microsoft always wins with this model: if the phone is a hit THEY benefit, but if it flops they'll just shrug and'll say: 'better luck next time.' But the manufacturer takes the HIT and is left with thousands if not millions of phones they'll have to sell at a loss. After Zune flopped Microsoft couldn't find anyone that wan...

[News] [Rival] Kill Kin: Why Microsoft's 'New' Phones Are Dead on Arrival

[News] Samsung Sells Linux (Ballnux) Phones at Almost 100 Times The Pace of Microsoft "KIN", Makes Linux TVs

[News] Microsoft's Patent Sellout LG Produces Microsoft-taxed Android Phones

[News] Microsoft's Patent Sellouts in Korea Sell Ballnux Devices and Phones (Taxed by Microsoft)

[News] Microsoft's Phone Gets Terrible Reviews and Allegedly Sells Just 500 Units (Microsoft Not Denying Yet)

Microsoft Kin v2?
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/36366/wp7-launch-a-damp-squib "Pocket-lint arrived at 7am to see the doors open and the queues of people pour in. A queue of two people, in fact. The first of which, Andrew Willett, queued from 5.45am. If you turned up at the Apple Store at 5.45am the day the iPhone 4 went live, you wouldn't have even made it on to Regent Street. You would have been around the corner on Hanover Street. The shop was packed. But it was packed with press and PR peeps. Maybe the excitement levels will rise later in the day when Johnny Vaughan and Lisa Snowd...

Microsoft kills Kin
Some of the trolls were telling me I was completely off base for suggesting that the drop of the price of a Kin to zero was perhaps evidence that it wasn't selling well... <http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/30/microsoft-kin-is-dead/> -- "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" -- "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone "It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD...

New Microsoft Phone
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=581&ncid=581&e=1&u=/nm/20030915/tc_nm/telecoms_orange_motorola_microsoft_dc In article <0Un9b.668$K3.5718@newsfeed.avtel.net>, "John" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote: > http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=581&ncid=581&e=1&u=/nm/2003091 > 5/tc_nm/telecoms_orange_motorola_microsoft_dc > > Does it have a Blue Screen? Does it support ALL MS viruses and worms? Can you actually complete a call between crashes? -- Enough <enough@idontcare.com> John wrote: > http...

Microsoft launches My Phone ..
Feb 2009 .. Microsoft is readying a new cloud service called My Phone that enables users of Windows Mobile 6 or later to sync contacts, calendar appointments, photos, and other information with the My Phone web site http://www.daniweb.com/blogs/entry3945.html July 2008 .. MobileMe automatically sends new email, contacts, and calendar events to your Mac, PC, iPhone and iPod touch using a secure online server or �cloud� http://www.apple.com/mobileme/guidedtour/ You have my sympathy. Maybe it will re-enter soon. ...

Despite Microsoft Mole, Nokia Releases No Windows Phones, Just New Linux Phone

Microsoft looks to KIN for support
Desperation or shelf-clearing? http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/12/microsoft_kin_again/ <quote> It has been suggested that this is in some way related to the catastrophic failure of Windows Phone 7 in America, and this very morning we received several emails directing us to research by the Boy Genius blog that (according to our tipsters) "proves Windows Phone 7 sales have tanked". Boy Genius makes no such claim of course. The blog phoned 15 stores about half of whom said the handsets were selling OK, the other half having sold no more than a handful. So p...

Microsoft Kills Kin #2
http://gizmodo.com/5576764/microsoft-kills-kin Cuss and Discuss. In article <75125f13-e604-49c9-a02a-cea08d16e80f@q12g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>, KDT <scarface_74@yahoo.com> wrote: > http://gizmodo.com/5576764/microsoft-kills-kin > > Cuss and Discuss. Since it's May launch only *500* Kins have been sold, while the iPhone 4 sold 1.7 *MILLION* in three days! "Jon" <jon@no-email.org> wrote in message news:jon-A427AF.14574701072010@news.eternal-september.org... > In article > <75125f13-e604-49c9-a02a-cea08d16e80f@q12g2000...

Microsoft makes a phone with Nvidia
<Quote> WHAT DO YOU get if you take an Iphone, remove the clean UI, user friendliness, nice industrial design, battery life, cachet, functional OS, and in general everything else that makes it worthwhile? The new Microsoft phone, powered by Nvidia. .... If you were wondering why Nvidia never mentions the phrase Linux when talking Tegra... now you know. NV appears to have sold Linux out to get the MS flagship deal, how nice of them....We think this 'me too' phone will have all the success of the Zune... Then there is the whole problem of partners. MS loves partners, using the Zun...

Microsoft blows Windows Phone update, again
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/04/windows_update/> <quote> Samsung users who held off updating after hearing about the problems last time are being told to hold off again as the fixed fix isn't really fixed at all. This time it seems that owners of the Samsung Omnia 7 are OK as long as they've got 4GB of memory free, but any less than that and the updating process chokes with an error numbered "800705B4", but at least no one is reporting bricked handsets this time. </quote> Verily I say unto thee, that Hardon spake thusly: ><http://www.thereg...

Motorola Phone To Use Microsoft Software
http://news.com.com/2100-1039_3-5053475.html?tag=fd_top ...

Microsoft Exposes Locations of PCs and Phones
<http://yro.slashdot.org/story/11/07/29/1658230/Microsoft-Exposes-Locations-of-PCs-and-Phones> <quote> "Microsoft has collected the locations of millions of laptops, cell phones, and other Wi-Fi devices around the world and makes them available on the Web without taking the privacy precautions that competitors have, CNET has learned. The vast database available through Live.com publishes the precise geographical location, which can point to a street address and sometimes even a corner of a building, of Android phones, Apple devices, and other Wi-Fi enabled gadgets. Unlike Goo...

Microsoft buys Nokia phone business
Interesting... Will Microsoft now really invest in new smartphones? The Lumias are indeed pretty good. With Microsoft behind it, the apps offer could finally lauch successfully. Anyhow, Microsoft now has got a huge portfolio of smartphones related patents and has the potential to be VERY harmful to its competitors. They still earn pretty well today on every sold Android phone. Wait and see... -- One computer and three operating systems, not the other way round. One wife and many hotels, not the other way round ! ;-) On 03/09/2013 8:43 am, Laszlo Lebrun wrote: > Interesting.....

Cingular to sell phone with Microsoft software
http://today.reuters.com/news/NewsArticle.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyID=2006-01-18T133429Z_01_N17387234_RTRUKOC_0_US-TELECOMS-CINGULAR-MICROSOFT.xml http://tinyurl.com/aole6 NEW YORK (Reuters) - Cingular Wireless, the No. 1 U.S. cellphone service provider, said on Wednesday it would begin selling a mobile phone running the latest Microsoft Corp. (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) software for mobile phones. The Cingular-branded 2125 Smartphone, made by High Tech Computer Corp. (2498.TW: Quote, Profile, Research) will go on sale for $199 on Wednesday. Cingular, a ...

[News?] [Parody?] Microsoft O-Phone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WazA77xcf0A Is it a phone, a boomerang, or a boat prop? -- #191, ewill3@earthlink.net /dev/signature: Not a text file -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly: > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WazA77xcf0A > > Is it a phone, a boomerang, or a boat prop? I was just about to say "wait for the first brain dead MS fanboi to wonders if this is not a joke, and actually think it's a really cool idea", and lo and behold: "Hello, Is this just a j...

Microsoft Windows Milquetoast...er...Phone 7
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-20007973-56.html complete with the iPhone's drawbacks Now if you want a real smartphone OS, stick with Android or Windows *Mobile* 6x and ealier -- ## _________________________________________________ ###### l l ######## l Do not assume, it makes an ass out of U and me l ######## l________________________________________________l ########## started usenet reader at: 7:29:15.06p _Sun_06-20-2010 # Remove the obvious from my address to e-mail me. sig2.txt z...

Microsoft Admits Its Phones Are Crappy, Vows To Improv
<Quote> No more blind cheerleading from Redmond: Microsoft (MSFT) finally admitted that its mobile business needs some work... But the reality of the situation is that Apple is running away with the smartphone mindshare in the U.S., and none of the handful of mobile software companies we've talked to recently have expressed any excitement about developing for Windows Mobile. (In fact, we had temporarily forgotten that Windows Mobile existed, until we were reminded by a Microsoft employee yesterday on Twitter.) ....Now Microsoft needs to master syncing to Web services and PCs. And b...

Microsoft shows off cell phone-PC prototype
Quote: --------------- Microsoft on Thursday showed a prototype of a cell phone-based computer that could one day find a use as a cheap PC for emerging markets.... Microsoft has come under some fire for not being more aggressive in helping to create a low-cost PC that is suitable for emerging markets. Mundie said that even in poorer countries, many people today have both a telephone and a television, making a computer based on those components easier to achieve than creating a low-cost PC.... In addition to its phone-computing research efforts, Microsoft also has its pay-as-you-go FlexGo pro...

Microsoft apologizes after botched Windows Phone challenge
<Quote> It should be no surprise that Microsoft was stacking the odds in its favor. "Smoked by Windows Phone" is a marketing campaign, not an honest assessment of one platform's advantages against the competition. But as long as Microsoft was coaching store employees on how not to get beaten, it could have also taught them how to gracefully accept defeat. </Quote> http://www.itworld.com/262328/microsoft-apologizes-after-botched-windows-phone-challenge nessuno wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties: > <Quote> > It should be no surprise that...

Android Is More Valuable To Microsoft Than Windows Phone 7