My Linux is not your Linux

To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy!

So many people demonstrate in this newsgroup that
they know only a Linux of Hatred and Greed, of paranoia,
and of a selfish sense of entitlement. They seem always to be
behaving like monkeys in reaction to human dissenters,
throwing feces at one another and beating their
chests pretending to know something.

My Linux is not that Linux. My Linux is the Linux of Love,
of sharing, friendship, community. It is a uniquely
human Linux and not one for monkeys. When I speak
with fellow Linux users in real life (i.e. not in the
monkeyhouse of COLA) they remind me of myself: practical,
freedom-loving, anti-corporate. Here in COLA however
they remind me of monkeys or spoiled brats or worse,
corporate sysadmins.

My Linux is not your Linux. It is the human Linux
that acknowledges that Linux involves human work
to create, that although it is free you are not
entitled to it, that although it is created in large part
by volunteers, they deserve to be paid for their
gifts with at least gratitude. And that monkeys and
self-entitled brats and sysadmins never thank anyone.

0
yarmfelder (72)

yarmfelder@yahoo.com writes:

> To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy!

You crossposted to gnu.misc.discuss.

> My Linux is not your Linux. It is the human Linux
> that acknowledges that Linux involves human work
> to create, that although it is free you are not
> entitled to it, that although it is created in large part
> by volunteers, they deserve to be paid for their
> gifts with at least gratitude.

You can start by calling your complete system GNU/Linux.  That would
show respect towards the project responsible for fundamental
components such as compiler, central libraries and text and file
utilities.

dak (3569)
6/20/2005 2:25:15 PM
yarmfelder@yahoo.com writes:

> And that monkeys and
> self-entitled brats and sysadmins never thank anyone.

they thank the system for it feeds them.

thi
0
ttn (27)
6/20/2005 2:27:40 PM
David Kastrup wrote something like:

> yarmfelder@yahoo.com writes:
>
>> To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy!
>
> You crossposted to gnu.misc.discuss.
>
>> My Linux is not your Linux. It is the human Linux
>> that acknowledges that Linux involves human work
>> to create, that although it is free you are not
>> entitled to it, that although it is created in large part
>> by volunteers, they deserve to be paid for their
>> gifts with at least gratitude.
>
> You can start by calling your complete system GNU/Linux.  That would
> show respect towards the project responsible for fundamental
> components such as compiler, central libraries and text and file
> utilities.

Oh god no. Not the gnu/mit/bsd/qt/gtk/etc/linux thing again...

--
-
 I use linux. Can anyone give me a good reason to use Windows?
yarmfelder@yahoo.com poked his little head through the XP firewall and said:

> To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy!
>
> So many people demonstrate in this newsgroup that
> they know only a Linux of Hatred and Greed, of paranoia,
> and of a selfish sense of entitlement. They seem always to be
> behaving like monkeys in reaction to human dissenters,
> throwing feces at one another and beating their
> chests pretending to know something.

What unutterably smarmy crapola!

I snipped gnu.misc.discuss out, too, you dipstick.

--
When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
0

0
yarmfelder (72)
6/20/2005 6:01:40 PM
yarmfelder@yahoo.com poked his little head through the XP firewall and said:

> You are a hater and a monkey!

I am neither.  I am a cynic, and your words are unctuous treacle.

0
iso
6/20/2005 6:53:32 PM
I like the linux of love.
Where does the train stop?

My words are sweet & flowing but not insincere, as you suggest.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=treacle&x=0&y=0

0
yarmfelder (72)
6/20/2005 11:16:34 PM
begin  KillFileMe.vbs

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 at 18:01 GMT, quoth yarmfelder@yahoo.com <yarmfelder@yahoo.com>:
> You are a hater and a monkey!

I'm a rather tall midget, not a monkey. I hate some things, but doesn't
everybody?

--
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armor to
lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores

0
yarmfelder (72)
6/21/2005 12:05:26 PM
David Kastrup wrote:
> yarmfelder@yahoo.com writes:
>
> > To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy!
>
> You crossposted to gnu.misc.discuss.
>
> > My Linux is not your Linux. It is the human Linux
> > that acknowledges that Linux involves human work
> > to create, that although it is free you are not
> > entitled to it, that although it is created in large part
> > by volunteers, they deserve to be paid for their
> > gifts with at least gratitude.
>
> You can start by calling your complete system GNU/Linux.  That would
> show respect towards the project responsible for fundamental
> components such as compiler, central libraries and text and file
> utilities.

But not for the editor (vim, not emacs :) and xorg. The name would be
too long then :-)

0
aquila.deus (1755)
6/21/2005 1:26:44 PM
yarmfelder@yahoo.com wrote:
> In the land of no software patents.

Isn't it easier to remove the law or the government who protects them?

0
aquila.deus (1755)
6/21/2005 1:30:13 PM
<aquila.deus@gmail.com> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> yarmfelder@yahoo.com writes:
>>
>> > My Linux is not your Linux. It is the human Linux
>> > that acknowledges that Linux involves human work
>> > to create, that although it is free you are not
>> > entitled to it, that although it is created in large part
>> > by volunteers, they deserve to be paid for their
>> > gifts with at least gratitude.
>>
>> You can start by calling your complete system GNU/Linux.  That would
>> show respect towards the project responsible for fundamental
>> components such as compiler, central libraries and text and file
>> utilities.
>
> But not for the editor (vim, not emacs :) and xorg. The name would
> be too long then :-)

If you find the "GNU" unappealing, you can of course choose to
exorcise it the hard way, like the maintainer of
<URL:http://www.skarnet.org/poweredby.html> tries.  If you use the
utilities from BSD, you should get close.

dak (3569)

Linux, Linux, Linux

Why linux is linux

I have Linux! I have Linux!

Linux!! Linux!!
From http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.misc/about This month 16 t...@invalid.invalid 15 ahlstr...@launchmodem.com 14 goldee_loxnbag...@gmail.com 10 jhas...@newsguy.com 9 mil...@yoyo.org 9 hel...@deepsoft.com 9 hadronqu...@gmail.com 8 ronb02nos...@gmail.com 7 secret...@lxny.org 7 ignoramus8...@nospam.8345.invalid All time 5421 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 4508 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 3530 j...@dhh.gt.org 3066 hel...@deepsoft.com 2991 nike_jordan_...@yahoo.com.cn 2651 jdbe...@exit109.com 2474 gra...@visi.com 2216 nikejordangoo...@hotmail.com 1890 rkiesl...@mainmatter.com 1869 unruh-s...@physics.ubc.ca FRom http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.setup/about Top posters This month 35 art...@sj.speakeasy.net 25 t...@invalid.invalid 21 a...@zimage.comant 15 Nico Kadel-Garcia 13 n...@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid 8 dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org 8 jhas...@newsguy.com 7 jul...@tampabay.rr.com 6 karthikbalagur...@gmail.com 5 Doug Freyburger All time 2999 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 1752 nka...@comcast.net 1510 scare.c...@oz.land 1458 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 1262 mjtob...@removethis_consultant.com 1132 nka...@bellatlantic.net 1128 kim...@lightlink.com 1106 nos...@nosite.zzz 1047 effla...@xnet.com 1007 m...@scrum.muc.de -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Never Satan President Republic! Beware AntiChrist rising! http://twitter.com/rootnl2k http://www.faceboo...

Linux Could NOT Have Invented Linux
The current view in Western technology is that Linus Torvalds invented Linux. Nothing could be further from the truth. The technical complexity and useability of Linux make it beyond the capability of what man could produce using the tools available in 1992. My theory is that Ancient Astronauts descended from the sky on 'Chariots of the Gods' and showed Linus *how* to write an Operating System. These alien visitors must have appeared as strange to the young Torvalds, and so he may have mistaken them for carpet vendors. -- w:04 On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 14:28:27 GMT, Erich Von ...

[News] Linux, Linux, Linux at Acer (Phones and Tablets)

[News] Everything in Mobile Devices is Linux, Linux, Linux....
Better Than Kindle? ,----[ Quote ] | While I'm thinking about all the things I'd do with it, this is what comes to | my mind: this thing cost around $400. There are few other devices that cost | that much these days: | | * Nokia N810 | * Asus eeePC 701 | * OLPC `---- http://justanystuff.blogspot.com/2007/12/better-than-kindle.html Here's a good early look at Android: Hands on with Android: XML Parsing ,----[ Quote ] | Here is an XML parser that I created to showcase Android’s UI. It retrieves | NBA, MLB and NFL scores off of my web server. The true beauty is ...

[News] [Linux] New Versions of Engarde Secure Linux, Core Linux, OpenTLE (Thai Linux)
EnGarde Secure Linux 3.0.14 Released ,----[ Quote ] | A fully functional secure Linux platform distribution, this release | features a vastly improved intrusion detection Attack Monitor. `---- http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/may/04/engarde_secure_linux_3_0_14_released Core GNU/Linux 2.0 Released! ,----[ Quote ] | Core contains nothing beyond what is required to perform these tasks. | Core is primarily designed for experienced Linux users, though it has | found an audience with those looking to learn about the internals | and operation of a Linux system. `---- http://www.coredistro.org/ne...

Linux, linux, you mutter...
Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. That's what you advocates are. Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg -- Kent East Hill for Bush '04 Death to Kent West Hillians !!! DEATH TO KENT WEST HILL wrote: > > Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. > > That's what you advocates are. > > Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. > > LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: > > http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg > What is sh...

[News] [Linux] The Linux Foundation Improves Linux Printing
Linux Foundation Improves Printing Functionality in Linux With LSB Driver Development Kit ,----[ Quote ] | "The LSB DDK is a direct result of our workgroup efforts and will | make it easier to create distribution-independent printer driver | packages," said Till Kamppeter, OpenPrinting.org manager, The | Linux Foundation. `---- http://new.marketwire.com/2.0/rel.jsp?id=741867&sourceType=1 Related: Real-time Linux simulates toner motion for printer design ,----[ Quote ] | Concurrent reports that its commercial, real-time Linux | implementation for multi-processor AMD Opter...

The non-Linux Linux
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd http://www.archhurd.org/ The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and stability, while remaining largely compatible with it. Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel? taka0038@gmail.com wrote: > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd > > http://www.archhurd.org/ > > The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and > stability, while remaining largely compatible with it. > > Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel? Yes. In a...

[News] Mobile Linux Runs Palm OS Applications; New 3G Linux Phones; Open Linux Phone Made More Attractive
Mobile Linux running Palm OS apps demoed ,----[ Quote ] | Access hopes ALP and its Eclipse-based Developer Suite will | provide a long-awaited forward migration path for the many | thousands of "Garnet OS" (recently renamed from "Palm OS") | applications developed throughout the decades since "Palm-Pilot" | first became a household word, in the 1980s. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2968683379.html Linux powers pair of 3G dual-mode phones ,----[ Quote ] | MontaVista says its device-oriented Linux operating system was | used in two new 3G business sma...

[News] Interviews: Linux Foundation Head on Linux Success; EnGarde Secure Linux Leader on Linux as Primary Solution
Q&A: Jim Zemlin touts the 'second phase' of Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The passion that Ubuntu generates is good for Red Hat and other vendors. We | need to keep our eye on that ball. Their success is ours. `---- http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9027838 The LXer Interview: Dave Wreski of EnGarde Secure Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Open source has slowly but surely shed its skin only as an "alternative" and | is now considered a primary solution. `---- http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/89907/index.html ...

[News] Another Company (6WIND) Raves About Linux, Linux, Linux...

[News] [Linux] Linux Foundation and MontaVista Organise Linux Conferences
Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit ,----[ Quote ] | The first Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit takes place mid | June, featuring the fourth Desktop Architects Meeting, an LSB | face to face meeting and various council meetings. `---- http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/06/02/linux-foundation-collaboration-summit/ MontaVista Vision 2007 Embedded Linux Developers Conference... ,----[ Quote ] | Hosted by MontaVista, and including platinum sponsors | Freescale Semiconductor, IBM, Intel, and Texas Instruments, | the Vision 2007 event is expected to bring the latest tips, | technique...

ssh over php from w2k to linux hangs (linux to linux ok)
Hello, I am trying to make some bash-scripts, that are to be executed on remote linux-boxes available to some Windows users over a php-interface. To require no interaction from the part of the windows users, I installed cygwin, generated rsa-keys and copied the public key on the server. I also changed the user, running the apache service appropriately and I added cygwin/bin to this users path. So, executing "ssh user@server something" worked using the cygwin-bash or the windows CLI. However, if I execute a php-script containing a "system" or "proc_open" with th...

No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size being = too small on my 19 inch monitor. As Moi was saying... I tried two more additional downloads of elementary OS Linux. Both of them= likewise failed. While they could have been discriminating against Moi for his ZERO contribu= tion, I will be damned if I am going to PAY GOOD money for something when t= here is no guarantee that the stupid DOWNLOAD wont fail, JUST TO FIND OUT t= hat it WONT work at all on my computer hardware, let alone whether OR NOT i= t will actually do what is being claimed. Moi has NEVER experienced a download problem with Linux Mint. From what I have seen, elementary OS Linux is a scam, much like those Windo= ws come ons that claim that they can fix your computer problems merely by m= ucking with the Windows Registry. The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam that i= t is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where are the Linu= x police? On 7/8/2015 8:22 AM, John Gohde wrote: > No Problem'o, DooFuS. I can blame it all on the Linux Mint TEXT size > being too small on my 19 inch monitor. I blame it on your small cerebrum. > The Linux World should disown elementary OS Linux for being the Scam > that it is. Or, can any phony distro claim to be Linux? Yeah, where > are the Linux police? The Linux police are outside your door right now. I'm not kidding. Look out...

[News] [Linux] Reviews of AntiX (Linux) and Linux Desktop Search Programs
New AntiX distro makes older hardware usable ,----[ Quote ] | I've been a fan of SimplyMEPIS for years. The distribution was one of the | early pioneers in the field of user-friendly Linux development, and to this | day offers a system that usually "just works." Earlier this month the MEPIS | site announced a community variation for older computers based on | SimplyMEPIS. AntiX is an installable live CD that features a modern kernel, | recent X server, and lighter applications for use on computers with as little | as 64MB RAM. I tried it, and liked what I found. `---...

[News] [Linux] Linux-based Recording Studio and Linux at the Indy 500
Daniel James interview (LXF 93) ,----[ Quote ] | Daniel James is the project directory of the audio distro 64 Studio. He set | up 64 Studio Ltd to provide development services to hardware OEMs, and | support to users in studios. James also runs a Linux-based recording studio | near his home on the Isle of Wight. `---- http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/mag/james.html Push for Indy 500's first TeamLinux car stirs controversy ,----[ Quote ] | Tux500 has grabbed the attention of at least one person outside the | Linux community, who has set up a competing project called Vista500. | Speaking ...

[News] [Linux] Infamous Anti-Linux Blogger Suddently Likes Linux
Edubuntu update - still rocking ,----[ Quote ] | So what's the verdict? Seat of the pants testing suggests that | performance of the thin client network isn't quite on par with | Microsoft Terminal Services (I have an identical test server | running Windows Server 2003) or Citrix systems. However, for | the majority of home, school, and SOHO applications, Edubuntu | represents an incredible value and brilliantly easy setup. | Performance issues aside, setup is quite a ways ahead of that | offered by Microsoft and Citrix and certainly more accessible | for the average user. This i...

[News] New Audiocasts About GNU/Linux: Linux Basement and Linux Outlaws

[News] New Releases of GNU/Linux: Bio-Linux and Portable Linux

Web resources about - My Linux is not your Linux - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . and video game consoles ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . The development of ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . and video game consoles ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For GNU package based on Linux kernel, see GNU Linux-libre . For ...

TED 2016: Linux founder not a 'people person'
Linus Torvalds, head of Linux, gives a rare and open interview at the TED conference in Vancouver.

Canonical announces premium Linux-powered Meizu PRO 5 Ubuntu Edition smartphone
While I love iOS when it comes to mobile devices, Linux is my true love on the desktop. Android used to be my choice for mobile, but I jumped ...

How to use locate and grep to find files on a Linux (or OS X) system
Linux has powerful tools to help you quickly and efficiently retrieve a file. This free PDF download will show you how to use two of the most ...

Linux, IBM Share Bold Vision for Hyperledger Project, a Blockchain Fabric for Business
CoinDesk speaks to some of the driving forces behind Hyperledger, an initiative that aims to create an open fabric for blockchain technology. ...

How to use locate and grep to find files on a Linux (or OS X) system
Every year, hard drives get bigger and cheaper, a nice combination. With all the technical toys we have in our lives now, we certainly have plenty ...

Street Fighter V is coming to Linux and SteamOS this Spring
Are you one of the less than one percent of Steam users who play on a Linux-based system? Are you part of the even smaller percentage of people ...