Not can't; won't

Ok, looks like I fibbed about my kiss-off being my last post.  I
couldn't resist reading the responses via the Google archive to my
kiss-off.  I'm not subscribed and this really will be my last post,
because I'll have said what can/should be said.  I feel a need to
disabuse the Linux bigots of a few points:

- I was doing Linux kernel 0.99 when a number of you hadn't discovered
girls yet.  Others of you, before you first got laid.

- I remembered /etc/fstab from my ancient days.  Editing /etc/inittab
just to get a NVIDIA driver installed was tedious, not difficult.

- I could learn to compile kernels just fine if I wanted to.  I did it 9
years ago when it was nominally harder.  I had more time on my hands
back then.  I do not choose to do it today.   There is no point wasting
my time compiling kernels vs. beating MinGW into shape.  I'm surprised
to find the latter to be the less tedious of the 2 problems, since it's
pretty tedious.

You Linux boosters are in deep, egocentric denial about what's rotten in
Linux-land.  You think fiddling with stuff is good, and most technical
experts who have "been there, done that" for a long time know that it isn't.

I can see Linux as a server, with administrators constantly in tow.  I
can see Linux as a corporate desktop, where the HW configuration can be
carefully controlled.  As a consumer desktop for shipping games, Linux
is a sick joke.  I'm almost angry about how bad it has turned out to be,
as I thought Linux would have made more progress by now.  I feel like
I've been misled by a lot of delusional people in the media, who haven't
seriously contemplated either playing games or shipping games on Linux.
  But on the other hand, I should have suspected this.  The game
industry has overwhelmingly decided that Linux is turkey.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

"We live in a world of very bright people building
crappy software with total shit for tools and process."
                                 - Ed McKenzie

begin  risky.vbs
	<d8hu2b$c4f$1@eskinews.eskimo.com>,
	"Brandon J. Van Every" <mylastnameruntogether@mycompanyname.com> writes:

> - I was doing Linux kernel 0.99 when a number of you hadn't
> discovered girls yet.  Others of you, before you first got laid.

You sure about that?

> - I remembered /etc/fstab from my ancient days.  Editing /etc/inittab
> just to get a NVIDIA driver installed was tedious, not difficult.

Now that's one of the funniest things I've read in a while. You
clearly don't know what /etc/inittab is for. A clue, it has nothing to
do with installing a graphics card driver.

[snip]

It is best you leave unless you want to become a laughing stock.
'Editing /etc/inittab just to get a NVIDIA driver installed was
tedious'!!! That's just too funny. LOL!!!!!!!!
0
rgc4 (3198)
6/12/2005 6:44:31 PM
Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> Ok, looks like I fibbed about my kiss-off being my last post.

Just like that tab idiot.
What you need now is to create your own password protected blog
and microscopically record all your thoughts.

You might even try hanging yourself like tab.
He was a Sun$ developer promoting windopes in comp.os.linux.advocacy.
We all thought he was stupid until he tried to hang himself.
Some of us were prepared to give it a week before
calling the police. I can't remember if anyone got around
to calling an ambulance yet...ooppps!

begin  KillFileMe.vbs

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 at 18:44 GMT, quoth Roy Culley <rgc@nodomain.none>:
> begin  risky.vbs
> 	<d8hu2b$c4f$1@eskinews.eskimo.com>,
> 	"Brandon J. Van Every" <mylastnameruntogether@mycompanyname.com> writes:
>>

>> - I was doing Linux kernel 0.99 when a number of you hadn't
>> discovered girls yet.  Others of you, before you first got laid.
>
> You sure about that?
>
>> - I remembered /etc/fstab from my ancient days.  Editing /etc/inittab
>> just to get a NVIDIA driver installed was tedious, not difficult.
>
> Now that's one of the funniest things I've read in a while. You
> clearly don't know what /etc/inittab is for. A clue, it has nothing to
> do with installing a graphics card driver.
>
> [snip]
>
> It is best you leave unless you want to become a laughing stock.
> 'Editing /etc/inittab just to get a NVIDIA driver installed was
> tedious'!!! That's just too funny. LOL!!!!!!!!

Maybe that's how they did it back in the far-off days of linux in the
70s. I'd say it was a wonder they could even *get* their NVidia drivers
to work right on linux 2.5 to 3 decades ago!

--
Mytob: Innovative Microsoft peer-to-peer software.
0
begin  virus.txt.scr Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> Ok, looks like I fibbed about my kiss-off being my last post.  I
> couldn't resist reading the responses via the Google archive to my
> kiss-off.  I'm not subscribed and this really will be my last post,
> because I'll have said what can/should be said.  I feel a need to
> disabuse the Linux bigots of a few points:
>
> - I was doing Linux kernel 0.99 when a number of you hadn't discovered
> girls yet.  Others of you, before you first got laid.
>
> - I remembered /etc/fstab from my ancient days.  Editing /etc/inittab
> just to get a NVIDIA driver installed was tedious, not difficult.

You can stop right here.
Tell us *exactly* what you "edited in /etc/inittab just to get a NVIDIA
driver installed". All the small details please

< snip more dumb bullshit >
--
Only two things are infinite,
 the Universe and Stupidity.

0
Peter.Koehlmann (13228)
6/12/2005 9:37:35 PM
Ah Christ, some of you people are so stupid, I just can't help but show
up again to further disabuse you of your most profound and unenlightened
ignorance.  I hope I can find the discipline not to stay long.  Some of
you people are so young, foolish, and wet behind the ears in matters of
technical support that I wish you'd just crawl back into the womb from
which you so recently came.

To the poster who said "/etc/innittab doesn't have anything to do with
installing a graphics driver," here's your fucking correction: it
SHOULDN'T have anything to do with it, but when installing an NVIDIA
graphics card, IT DOES.  Changing your runlevel is the recommended
NVIDIA installation practice.  You ignore their recommended method at
your peril.

The relevant section of the NVIDIA Readme.txt follows my .sig.  I'm sure
that various asshole ignoramuses around here have never read it, nor a
dozen other tedious Linux READMEs, because their particular HW happened
to work and they didn't encounter the extreme fragility / gamble of
Linux support.  It's too bad that even a statistical database of Linux
"Rulez! / Sux!" support stories wouldn't settle the issue of how often
Linux breaks.  People would question the methodology or some crap like
that, despite the very obvious ways that Linux hurls for quite a number
of people I've talked to.

In comparison, the idea of dropping down to a special mode, let alone
doing it with manual edits, just to install a video driver, died on
Windows a long time ago.  It's an exhibit of where Linux is nothing less
than complete shit.  Now, feel free to blame it on NVIDIA, or Ubuntu,
that ATI does it right, or whatever.  The end user is not interested in
the political squabbling, only whether or not it works and doesn't make
their life a PITA.

Don't get me started on soundcards.  Friends of mine have already been
there, done that.  An example (not of friendship, but of the class of
problems):  http://jwz.livejournal.com/494040.html

People like me will point out the weaknesses and limitations to you
Linux bigots until we're blue in the face.  I don't see anything
changing about your lot.  You're either oblivious to, or like, your
broken shit.

It seems there's something I like about Windows after all.  It works.  I
think that's the *only* thing I like about it, but oh well.

To the minority of Linuxers who understand the limits of their system,
and what needs to improve about it to have a rat's chance in hell of
gaining marketshare in the consumer desktop space, please take every
opportunity to disabuse your compadres of their foolishness and complacency.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

T-shirt that landed someone a job:  "I'm not an asshole,
I'm a Shaper!"  http://www.teams.org.uk/shaper.htm

[from latest greatest NVIDIA Readme.txt]

BOOTING TO A DIFFERENT RUNLEVEL

Run-levels in Linux dictate what services are started and stopped
automatically when the system boots or shuts down. The run-levels typically
range from 0 to 6, with run-level 5 typically starting X Windows as part of
the services (runlevel 0 is actually a system halt, and 6 is a system
reboot).
It is good practice to install the NVIDIA Linux Driver while X is not
running,
and it is a good idea to prevent X Windows from starting on reboot in case
there are problems with the installation (otherwise you may find
yourself with
a broken system that automatically tries to start X, but then hangs
during the
startup, preventing you from doing the repairs necessary to fix X).
Depending
on your network setup, run-levels 1, 2 or 3 should be sufficient for
installing the Driver. Level 3 typically includes networking services, so if
utilities used by the system during installation depend on a remote
filesystem, Levels 1 and 2 will be insufficient. If your system typically
boots to a console with a command prompt, you should not need to change
anything. If your system typically boots to X Windows with a graphical login
and desktop, you must both exit X Windows and change your default runlevel.

On most distributions, the default runlevel is stored in the file
'/etc/inittab', although you may have to consult the guide for your own
distribution. The line that indicates the default runlevel appears as

     id:n:initdefault:

or similar, where "n" indicates the number of the runlevel. '/etc/inittab'
must be edited as root. Please read the sections on editing files and root
user if you are unfamiliar with this concept. Also, it is recommended
that you
create a copy of the file prior to editing it, particularly if you are
new to
Linux text editors, in case you accidentally corrupt the file:

     # cp /etc/inittab /etc/inittab.original

The line should be edited such that an appropriate runlevel is the
default (1,
2, or 3 on most systems):

     id:3:initdefault:

After saving the changes, exit X. After the Driver installation is complete,
you may revert the default runlevel to its original state, either by editing
the '/etc/inittab' again or by moving your backup copy back to its original
name.

Different distributions provide different ways to exit X Windows. On many
systems, the 'init' utility will change the current runlevel. This can
be used
to change to a runlevel in which X is not running.

     # init 3

There are other methods by which to exit X. Please consult your
distribution.
begin  virus.txt.scr Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> Ah Christ, some of you people are so stupid, I just can't help but show
> up again to further disabuse you of your most profound and unenlightened
> ignorance.  I hope I can find the discipline not to stay long.  Some of
> you people are so young, foolish, and wet behind the ears in matters of
> technical support that I wish you'd just crawl back into the womb from
> which you so recently came.
>
> To the poster who said "/etc/innittab doesn't have anything to do with
> installing a graphics driver," here's your fucking correction: it
> SHOULDN'T have anything to do with it, but when installing an NVIDIA
> graphics card, IT DOES.  Changing your runlevel is the recommended
> NVIDIA installation practice.  You ignore their recommended method at
> your peril.

So you claim you need to change inittab to change runlevel?

Any more even dumber claims, or are you done for today?

< snip >
--
Support your local Search and Rescue unit -- get lost.

0
Peter.Koehlmann (13228)
6/12/2005 10:03:16 PM
begin  risky.vbs
	<42ACB041.5040107@mycompanyname.com>,
	"Brandon J. Van Every" <mylastnameruntogether@mycompanyname.com> writes:

> [snip]
>
> To the poster who said "/etc/innittab doesn't have anything to do with
> installing a graphics driver," here's your fucking correction: it
> SHOULDN'T have anything to do with it, but when installing an NVIDIA
> graphics card, IT DOES.  Changing your runlevel is the recommended
> NVIDIA installation practice.  You ignore their recommended method at
> your peril.

You just don't understand /etc/inittab and runlevels. If you want a
graphical login via [gkx]dm you setup inittab for it. Else you boot to
a console login and start X using startx.

> You ignore their recommended method at your peril.

Please quote were NVIDIA ever stated this?

The fact remains, installing a graphics driver has sfa to do with
inittab.  You are just showing your ignorance. Before you go on about
your vast Linux evperience, I was running Linux before it had X. I
also built X from source on SunOS 3.x no doubt before you had even had
your first wank.

Your inability to get Linux to work the way you want after a few hours
says a lot about you. You come complaining in an advocacy forum when
there are so many others dedicated for providing help including ubuntu
mailing lists.

You come across as a spoilt brat that when anything doesn't work the
way you want you go crying to mummy. May I suggest you grow up. If
you really want to use Linux and have problems seek help via the
appropriate channels, newsgroups, mailing lists, irc, ...

If you are merely a troll, you have failed badly.
0
rgc4 (3198)
6/12/2005 10:21:14 PM
Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> - I was doing Linux kernel 0.99 when a number of you hadn't discovered
> girls yet.

Yes, but we started doing girls, you were still doing the kernel.

Eventually the kernel complained and asked you to stop doing it.

--
Texeme Textcasting Technology
http://www.texeme.com

> begin  risky.vbs
> 	<d8hu2b$c4f$1@eskinews.eskimo.com>,
> 	"Brandon J. Van Every" <mylastnameruntogether@mycompanyname.com> writes:
>>

>> - I was doing Linux kernel 0.99 when a number of you hadn't discovered
>> girls yet.  Others of you, before you first got laid.
>
> You sure about that?
>
>> - I remembered /etc/fstab from my ancient days.  Editing /etc/inittab
>> just to get a NVIDIA driver installed was tedious, not difficult.
>
> Now that's one of the funniest things I've read in a while. You clearly
> don't know what /etc/inittab is for. A clue, it has nothing to do with
> installing a graphics card driver.
>
> [snip]
>
> It is best you leave unless you want to become a laughing stock. 'Editing
> /etc/inittab just to get a NVIDIA driver installed was tedious'!!! That's
> just too funny. LOL!!!!!!!!

LMAO!

--
When I hear of a long time smoker dying of lung cancer
I think "That's too bad, but they made their choices".

0
willpoast (5106)
6/12/2005 10:59:38 PM
begin  OEKillFileMe.vbs It was on Sun, 12 Jun 2005 18:46:33 +0000, that 7
was seen to write:

> Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>
>> Ok, looks like I fibbed about my kiss-off being my last post.

Well *there's* a surprise!

> Just like that tab idiot.
> What you need now is to create your own password protected blog and
> microscopically record all your thoughts.
>
> You might even try hanging yourself like tab. He was a Sun$ developer
> promoting windopes in comp.os.linux.advocacy. We all thought he was stupid
> until he tried to hang himself. Some of us were prepared to give it a week
> before calling the police. I can't remember if anyone got around to
> calling an ambulance yet...ooppps!

Oh darn, I clean forgot about that!

--
When I hear of a long time smoker dying of lung cancer
I think "That's too bad, but they made their choices".
When I hear about companies gettings screwed by Microsoft,
I think the same thing. -- Anon

0
willpoast (5106)
6/12/2005 11:01:49 PM
Roy Culley wrote:

> You just don't understand /etc/inittab and runlevels. If you want a
> graphical login via [gkx]dm you setup inittab for it. Else you boot to
> a console login and start X using startx.

What you don't seem to understand, is people don't want to understand
all this mundane shit.  They want it to work, and save them time!  I
could *write* drivers if I really really wanted to 'understand' stuff,
if that was my objective.

>>You ignore their recommended method at your peril.
>

> Please quote were NVIDIA ever stated this?

Do you just second-guess every single README.txt you find?  How the hell
do you get anything done, just fake it all the way?  The NVIDIA readme
gave motivations for why you'd want to do it their way; go read it again.

> Your inability to get Linux to work the way you want after a few hours
> says a lot about you.

I guess the macho-man cult isn't going to go away anytime soon.  It's
amazing logic, really.  If something doesn't work, it must be the
person's fault who tried it out.  Couldn't possibly be a bad design, or
a bug, or whatever.

> You come across as a spoilt brat

And you come across as a buffoon who takes his precious cola seriously.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

20% of the world is real.
begin  risky.vbs
	<d8igs2$fng$1@eskinews.eskimo.com>,
	"Brandon J. Van Every" <mylastnameruntogether@mycompanyname.com> writes:
> Roy Culley wrote:
>>
>> You just don't understand /etc/inittab and runlevels. If you want a
>> graphical login via [gkx]dm you setup inittab for it. Else you boot to
>> a console login and start X using startx.
>
> What you don't seem to understand, is people don't want to understand
> all this mundane shit.  They want it to work, and save them time!  I
> could *write* drivers if I really really wanted to 'understand' stuff,
> if that was my objective.

Look, I'll try just once more to explain to you. /etc/inittab has
nothing, not a thing, to do with device drivers. You're ineptitude in
understanding very simple concepts makes me wonder whether you could
write device drivers.

>>>You ignore their recommended method at your peril.
>>
>> Please quote were NVIDIA ever stated this?
>
> Do you just second-guess every single README.txt you find?  How the
> hell do you get anything done, just fake it all the way?  The NVIDIA
> readme gave motivations for why you'd want to do it their way; go
> read it again.

Whatever NVIDIA had to say about /etc/inittab had absolutely nothing
to do with installing their driver. Seems you have reading
comprehension problems. Now I'm sure the README file stated that you
need to edit your /etc/inittab file if you wanted a grahpical login
interface.

>> Your inability to get Linux to work the way you want after a few hours
>> says a lot about you.
>
> I guess the macho-man cult isn't going to go away anytime soon.  It's
> amazing logic, really.  If something doesn't work, it must be the
> person's fault who tried it out.  Couldn't possibly be a bad design, or
> a bug, or whatever.

Not at all. My point was you don't go running to an advocacy group
after a few hours of trying without seeking help in technical
newsgroups, mailings lists, google, irc, etc first. You are a troll,
simple as that.

>> You come across as a spoilt brat
>
> And you come across as a buffoon who takes his precious cola
> seriously.

I take Linux seriously because IMHO it is the best OS out there for me
on my home and work desktop and several production servers at
work. COLA is light relief advocating what I enjoy and showing up
fools like you.
0
rgc4 (3198)
6/12/2005 11:56:48 PM
Roy Culley wrote:

> Look, I'll try just once more to explain to you. /etc/inittab has
> nothing, not a thing, to do with device drivers.

Ya gotta turn off X somehow to install a NVIDIA driver.  Ya gotta read
READMEs to learn what the hell to do.  What's your policy, read 8
READMEs and then go with one that seems plausible?  I just read the 1st
README I find and keep going until either it works or I'm sick of
trying.  Only then am I going to go look for additional methods on how
to turn off X.

> Not at all. My point was you don't go running to an advocacy group
> after a few hours of trying

Hours??  Try fucking 1.5 weeks of full time work on the problem!!

> without seeking help in technical
> newsgroups, mailings lists, google, irc, etc first.

What a load of crap.  I read archives on how to do stuff all the fucking
time.  I'm really really good with Google.  How do you think I found
that NVIDIA driver README, by magic?

> You are a troll, simple as that.

It's true that cola is the only newsgroup I've ever trolled.  But, that
doesn't mean I don't also have real issues and problems with Linux, and
that in certain case uses, Linux is real garbage.  What I tire of, is
people's false explanations for why I'm a troll.  Use the correct
explanations.  It isn't because I don't understand what /etc/inittab is for.

Well, waste of breath arguing with you, I think.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

On Usenet, if you're not an open source hippie who
likes to download and play with programming toys
all day long, there's something wrong with you.
begin  risky.vbs
	<d8ij9c$g67$1@eskinews.eskimo.com>,
	"Brandon J. Van Every" <mylastnameruntogether@mycompanyname.com> writes:
> Roy Culley wrote:
>>
>> Look, I'll try just once more to explain to you. /etc/inittab has
>> nothing, not a thing, to do with device drivers.
>
> Ya gotta turn off X somehow to install a NVIDIA driver.

Utter crap. You have to restart X once you have installed the driver.
My previous laptop was a Dell with an nvidia graphics chip. I never
had to stop X to install a new driver.

You are one of the most clueless people I have ever come across.

No point in discussing this with you any further. You are either
ignorant or very stupid. As you won't try and seek help where it is
readily available I deduce you are stupid. Alas, there is no cure for
stupidity.

0
rgc4 (3198)
6/13/2005 12:32:35 AM
On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 14:59:29 -0700, Brandon J. Van Every
<mylastnameruntogether@mycompanyname.com> wrote:

> Ah Christ, some of you people are so stupid, I just can't help but show
> up again to further disabuse you of your most profound and unenlightened
> ignorance.

This is not unexpected.

> It seems there's something I like about Windows after all.  It works.  I
> think that's the *only* thing I like about it, but oh well.

Nor was this.  You've had an agenda since the day you showed up here and
it was perfectly obvious how this was going to work out.

Here's the thing.  All software is broken, all software is shit.  But
the broken parts vary from one system to another.  It is possible that
what you find so hopelessly broken is only a minor annoyance to others,
and what you class as "working" is a horrible creaky nightmare to me.

For instance, I read the local cable provider's newsgroups and of the
traffic that isn't about the suckage of the cable provider, about half
is about spam and the other half is about malware infections.

Pretty much every Windows user I know has had to reinstall at one time
or another because of a malware infestation or some mystery corruption
that they couldn't solve.  That' just isn't acceptable to me, and I have
a hard time understanding why you people tolerate it.

Personally, I'd edit /etc/inittab and recompile a kernel every single
day if it meant that I would not have to deal with that particular brain
damage.  But then, I must be out of the mainstream since I have a
current set of backups.

Luckily, despite your bullshit, I'm not over here recompiling kernels
and I don't think I've edited /etc/inittab in years.

Your mileage may vary of course.  Have a nice time with Windows and
don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| A proud member of the reality-based community.
on June 13 01:18 am Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> Well, waste of breath arguing with you, I think.

`I have recently (like last week) dumped Windows in favor of Linux
development. Not because I love Linux, but because I do have that
skillset from my ancient days, and CMUCL runs on it.'

Brandon J. Van Every June 05 2005
- http://nixdoc.net/files/forum/about40101.html
- unquote -

So you spent a whole week at `Linux' before deciding it wasn't for you.
I don't know of anyone who can go from scratch to designing games all
within the space of one week. But I am in awe of your intellect all the
same. What games have you produced and have I ever heard of them ?
0
malloc (9)
6/13/2005 2:17:04 AM
On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:47:11 -0700, jabailo@texeme.com wrote:

> Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>
>> - I was doing Linux kernel 0.99 when a number of you hadn't discovered
>> girls yet.
>
> Yes, but we started doing girls, you were still doing the kernel.
>
> Eventually the kernel complained and asked you to stop doing it.

Why Bailo....was that actually wit? From you?

Did you go out and purchase the other half?

0
liam8 (4986)
6/13/2005 2:18:27 AM
malloc wrote:

> on June 13 01:18 am Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>
>> Well, waste of breath arguing with you, I think.
>
> `I have recently (like last week) dumped Windows in favor of Linux
> development. Not because I love Linux, but because I do have that
> skillset from my ancient days, and CMUCL runs on it.'
>
> Brandon J. Van Every June 05 2005
> - http://nixdoc.net/files/forum/about40101.html
> - unquote -
>
> So you spent a whole week at `Linux' before deciding it wasn't for you.
> I don't know of anyone who can go from scratch to designing games all
> within the space of one week. But I am in awe of your intellect all the
> same. What games have you produced and have I ever heard of them ?

Tic-Tac-Toe ... you must've heard of it!

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
"A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

0
nostop (148)
6/13/2005 3:37:01 AM
begin  Error Log for Sun, 12 Jun 2005 17:18:53 -0700 - "Brandon J. Van
Every" <mylastnameruntogether@mycompanyname.com> caused an invalid page
fault at address <d8ij9c$g67$1@eskinews.eskimo.com>, details as follows:

>> Look, I'll try just once more to explain to you. /etc/inittab has
>> nothing, not a thing, to do with device drivers.
>
> Ya gotta turn off X somehow to install a NVIDIA driver.  Ya gotta read
> READMEs to learn what the hell to do.  What's your policy, read 8
> READMEs and then go with one that seems plausible?  I just read the 1st
> README I find and keep going until either it works or I'm sick of
> trying.  Only then am I going to go look for additional methods on how
> to turn off X.

You can't compile the nvidia drivers with X running.  You have to "turn it
off" in order to install it.  That is in the README.

HINT:  as root, telinit 3

>> Not at all. My point was you don't go running to an advocacy group
>> after a few hours of trying
>
> Hours??  Try fucking 1.5 weeks of full time work on the problem!!

This is where being a lazy bastard such as myself comes in handy.  I
always will look for the easiest way, if one method seems too much of a
chore, I find another simpler and easier way..

I will never understand people that seem to enjoy beating their heads
against a wall trying to do things the hard way

>> without seeking help in technical
>> newsgroups, mailings lists, google, irc, etc first.
>
> What a load of crap.  I read archives on how to do stuff all the fucking
> time.  I'm really really good with Google.  How do you think I found
> that NVIDIA driver README, by magic?

*snort*

>> You are a troll, simple as that.
>
> It's true that cola is the only newsgroup I've ever trolled.

So, as you have self-admitted that you are trolling this group, then why
should anything that you say be taken seriously?

--
rapskat -  00:30:37 up 2 days,  5:37,  6 users,  load average: 0.66, 0.85, 0.87
        "Where's the kaboom, there was supposed to be
On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 11:16:50 -0700, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> - I was doing Linux kernel 0.99 when a number of you hadn't discovered
> girls yet.  Others of you, before you first got laid.
>
> - I remembered /etc/fstab from my ancient days.  Editing /etc/inittab just
> to get a NVIDIA driver installed was tedious, not difficult.

Tedious is inserting 180 pages of international calling rates and prefixes
into a billing engine. Editing /etc/inittab is welcome relief.

0
spamtrap3 (1308)
6/13/2005 5:08:02 AM
<mylastnameruntogether@mycompanyname.com> wrote in message
<<d8hu2b$c4f$1@eskinews.eskimo.com>>:

> Ok, looks like I fibbed about my kiss-off being my last post.

Be easy on yourself.  We won't mention that you lied if you don't
want us to.
0
nospam4 (524)
6/13/2005 6:03:27 AM
On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 14:59:29 -0700, "Brandon J. Van Every"
<mylastnameruntogether@mycompanyname.com> wrote in message
<<42ACB041.5040107@mycompanyname.com>>:

> To the poster who said "/etc/innittab doesn't have anything to do with
> installing a graphics driver," here's your fucking correction:

There's no fucking correction.  You're just making yourself look more
foolish.

> it SHOULDN'T have anything to do with it, but when installing an NVIDIA
> graphics card, IT DOES.

It SHOULDN'T, IT DOESN'T, and it NEVER DID have anything to do with
installing a device driver.  You don't know what /etc/inittab does but
you're ashamed to admit it.

> Changing your runlevel is the recommended NVIDIA installation practice.

You NEVER have to modify /etc/inittab to change your runlevel.  If you
can't understand this, pay an entry-level system administration from
your local junior college for about five minutes of their time.

> You ignore their recommended method at your peril.

You follow instructions blindly at your own peril.  If you can't learn
for yourself, you need someone to make decisions for you.  Microsoft
has something suitable for you -- they can decide for you.
0
nospam4 (524)
6/13/2005 6:03:27 AM
begin  KillFileMe.vbs

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 at 22:03 GMT, quoth Peter K�hlmann <Peter.Koehlmann@t-online.de>:
> begin  virus.txt.scr Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>
>> Ah Christ, some of you people are so stupid, I just can't help but show
>> up again to further disabuse you of your most profound and unenlightened
>> ignorance.  I hope I can find the discipline not to stay long.  Some of
>> you people are so young, foolish, and wet behind the ears in matters of
>> technical support that I wish you'd just crawl back into the womb from
>> which you so recently came.
>>
>> To the poster who said "/etc/innittab doesn't have anything to do with
>> installing a graphics driver," here's your fucking correction: it
>> SHOULDN'T have anything to do with it, but when installing an NVIDIA
>> graphics card, IT DOES.  Changing your runlevel is the recommended
>> NVIDIA installation practice.  You ignore their recommended method at
>> your peril.
>>

> So you claim you need to change inittab to change runlevel?
>
> Any more even dumber claims, or are you done for today?
>
>< snip >

Good Lord! That sounded just like the same kind justification Flathead
had for emailing a 650MB file to a "clueless old lady" who was supposed
to know what to do with it. The tapping of those magic toes after that
mess was started was a pure joy to watch!

Maybe I should relax that filter for awhile so I don't miss the dance.

--
Using Outlook Express is the equivalent of putting on spike heels,
fishnets, and a bustier, walking down to the corner of Virus St and
Brandon J. Van Every wrote something like:

> Roy Culley wrote:
>>
>> Look, I'll try just once more to explain to you. /etc/inittab has
>> nothing, not a thing, to do with device drivers.
>
> Ya gotta turn off X somehow to install a NVIDIA driver.  Ya gotta read
> READMEs to learn what the hell to do.  What's your policy, read 8
> READMEs and then go with one that seems plausible?  I just read the 1st
> README I find and keep going until either it works or I'm sick of
> trying.  Only then am I going to go look for additional methods on how
> to turn off X.

You could always choose one of the easy ways to turn off X.

>> Not at all. My point was you don't go running to an advocacy group
>> after a few hours of trying
>
> Hours??  Try fucking 1.5 weeks of full time work on the problem!!

Nobody is that stupid.

>> without seeking help in technical
>> newsgroups, mailings lists, google, irc, etc first.
>
> What a load of crap.  I read archives on how to do stuff all the fucking
> time.  I'm really really good with Google.  How do you think I found
> that NVIDIA driver README, by magic?

Same place you got the driver?  BTW you could pay for mandrake and get the
driver included.

>> You are a troll, simple as that.
>
> It's true that cola is the only newsgroup I've ever trolled.  But, that
> doesn't mean I don't also have real issues and problems with Linux, and
> that in certain case uses, Linux is real garbage.  What I tire of, is
> people's false explanations for why I'm a troll.  Use the correct
> explanations.  It isn't because I don't understand what /etc/inittab is
> for.

You sound well a well practiced troll.

> Well, waste of breath arguing with you, I think.

Feel free to stop wasting it. Is this the last post now?

--
-
 I use linux. Can anyone give me a good reason to use Windows?

Some people are born normal, some people achieve normality, and some
have normalcy thrust upon them by a nice nurse with a hypodermic.
0
warlock (9522)
6/13/2005 8:42:28 AM
Hi  Van_Every and Culley,

Culley told Van_Every:  You come across as a spoilt brat.

Ha !  Culley is a real twerp, but, I fear, he's spot_on here:
  Van_Every is indeed a spoilt brat.

Van_Every then replied to Culley saying:
  And you come across as a buffoon who takes his precious cola seriously.

Ha !  Van_Every is also spot_on:
  Culley's faith in Linux is as blind as his ignorance of MicroSoft.

0
me4 (19624)
6/13/2005 9:34:05 AM
Brandon J. Van Every is alleged to have said in comp.os.linux.advocacy:

> In comparison, the idea of dropping down to a special mode, let alone
> doing it with manual edits, just to install a video driver, died on
> Windows a long time ago.  It's an exhibit of where Linux is nothing less
> than complete shit.  Now, feel free to blame it on NVIDIA, or Ubuntu,
> that ATI does it right, or whatever.  The end user is not interested in
> the political squabbling, only whether or not it works and doesn't make
> their life a PITA.

No, it hasn't. Just this past weekend I had to uninstall a video driver,
boot to safe mode, run a driver remover utility, boot normally, install the
updated driver, then reboot one more time, all to upgrade a single driver
on windows. If, in linux, if all I have to do is init 3, nvidia-installer
--update, init 5, well, I guess I'll take the latter. I mean, it's no
wonder MS concentrated so much on improving windows' boot time. It's the
single most common task for that OS.

The rest of your post was simple too incoherent and too rude to bother
replying to.

--
Ignorance is a condition. Stupidity is a way of life.
0

> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 11:16:50 -0700,
>  Brandon J. Van Every <mylastnameruntogether@mycompanyname.com> lied:
>
>> - I remembered /etc/fstab from my ancient days.  Editing /etc/inittab
>> just to get a NVIDIA driver installed was tedious, not difficult.
>>

> why in heaven's name do you think that you'd have to tweak /etc/inittab to
> install an NVIDIA driver?

That is a good one! LOL
I thought Dufu$ was stupid with his "If it wasn't for M$ you'd not be
posting anything now" crap, but *this* is funnier!

--
When I hear of a long time smoker dying of lung cancer
I think "That's too bad, but they made their choices".
When I hear about companies gettings screwed by Microsoft,
I think the same thing. -- Anon

0
willpoast (5106)
6/13/2005 11:50:16 AM
begin  OEKillFileMe.vbs It was on Mon, 13 Jun 2005 06:22:40 +0000, that
amosf was seen to write:

> Brandon J. Van Every wrote something like:
>
>> Roy Culley wrote:
>>>
>>> Look, I'll try just once more to explain to you. /etc/inittab has
>>> nothing, not a thing, to do with device drivers.
>>
>> Ya gotta turn off X somehow to install a NVIDIA driver.  Ya gotta read
>> READMEs to learn what the hell to do.  What's your policy, read 8
>> READMEs and then go with one that seems plausible?  I just read the 1st
>> README I find and keep going until either it works or I'm sick of
>> trying.  Only then am I going to go look for additional methods on how
>> to turn off X.
>
> You could always choose one of the easy ways to turn off X.
>
>>> Not at all. My point was you don't go running to an advocacy group
>>> after a few hours of trying
>>
>> Hours??  Try fucking 1.5 weeks of full time work on the problem!!
>
> Nobody is that stupid.

*He* obviously is.

<snip>
> Feel free to stop wasting it. Is this the last post now?

Doubtful.

--
When I hear of a long time smoker dying of lung cancer
I think "That's too bad, but they made their choices".
When I hear about companies gettings screwed by Microsoft,
I think the same thing. -- Anon

0
willpoast (5106)
6/13/2005 11:52:52 AM
Rob Hughes wrote something like:

> Brandon J. Van Every is alleged to have said in comp.os.linux.advocacy:
>
>> In comparison, the idea of dropping down to a special mode, let alone
>> doing it with manual edits, just to install a video driver, died on
>> Windows a long time ago.  It's an exhibit of where Linux is nothing less
>> than complete shit.  Now, feel free to blame it on NVIDIA, or Ubuntu,
>> that ATI does it right, or whatever.  The end user is not interested in
>> the political squabbling, only whether or not it works and doesn't make
>> their life a PITA.
>>

> No, it hasn't. Just this past weekend I had to uninstall a video driver,
> boot to safe mode, run a driver remover utility, boot normally, install
> the updated driver, then reboot one more time, all to upgrade a single
> driver on windows. If, in linux, if all I have to do is init 3,
> nvidia-installer --update, init 5, well, I guess I'll take the latter. I
> mean, it's no wonder MS concentrated so much on improving windows' boot
> time. It's the single most common task for that OS.
>
> The rest of your post was simple too incoherent and too rude to bother
> replying to.

That's the odd thing with windows. With linux I can swap out any nvidia card
with another and the PC boots flawlessly. Swap a MX440 with a FX5700 in
windows and you are likely to have major driver hassles.

--
-
 I use linux. Can anyone give me a good reason to use Windows?
-
0
linux_nut (576)
6/13/2005 12:08:43 PM
Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

>Ok, looks like I fibbed

*plonk*

0
chrisv (22840)
6/13/2005 2:57:13 PM
Umm...  your web site is having technical difficulties.
It was hacked, wasn't it?

See, now you got your full blown fight.
You now the master.

Next goal, to see if you can get over 412 responses.
Then you be an official troll.  Till then, you just a troll
wannabe young Brandon.

Hi  ChrisV,  I see you plonked  Van_Every.

Like a 147 grain full_metal_jacket hollow_point barrelling at you:

  P L O N K !

0
me4 (19624)