Old News (New Post Without Mail Follow-up): Worm Hits Windows-based ATM's

http://news.com.com/2100-7349_3-5117285.html?tag=nefd_top

I'm actually going to go and check with my bank to find out what they're
using for their ATM...anyone have any info on Citibank ATM's and what OS
they use?

Diebold made the mistake of moving away from OS/2 over to Windows XP
Embedded and look where it got them.

All because the customer is uninformed of exactly what problems Windows
brings to a financial institution.

If Citibank is using Diebold/Windows ATM's, then I am going to seek another
bank.

Windows really is bad for the economy.

Update:
I contacted Citibank and they were pretty much clueless about the whole
thing, however, they are using Windows terminals all over the place.

I did find a link on identifying Diebold ATM's right at Diebold's site:
http://www.diebold.com/nasadmk/inside/identify.htm

Now I just have to finish figuring out if Citibank uses them, which I'm
pretty sure they do.

--
---
The email address listed for this user is a spamtrap.

Do not respond.
0
strapper (23)

In article <3fd61b9a$0$37899$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>
WarpKat <strapper@coloservices.com> wrote:

><snip>

Idiot.

0
bogus6948 (285)

Old News: Worm Hits Windows-based ATM's
http://news.com.com/2100-7349_3-5117285.html?tag=nefd_top I'm actually going to go and check with my bank to find out what they're using for their ATM...anyone have any info on Citibank ATM's and what OS they use? Diebold made the mistake of moving away from OS/2 over to Windows XP Embedded and look where it got them. All because the customer is uninformed of exactly what problems Windows brings to a financial institution. If Citibank is using Diebold/Windows ATM's, then I am going to seek another bank. Windows really is bad for the economy. -- --- The email address list...

[News] Video of Palm's New Linux-based OS
[It's not truly Palm(Source), it's ALP, but still...] A Close Up View of Access Linux Platform at 3GSM ( with Video) ,----[ Quote ] | Several shots show a smartphone emulator running the Access Linux | Platform (ALP). Here you can see ALP's Today Screen, Applications | Launcher (see top image), Garnet VM controls and a number other | status and preference screens. Next up is an actual developer | phone shown running ALP in a screen shot and a minute-and-a-half | video. `---- http://www.pdastreet.com/articles/2007/2/2007-2-14-A-Close-Up.html On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 18:21:15 +0000, ...

[News] New Device Runs Nokia's Linux, Without Nokia's Dependence

[News] New OPhone OS Based on Linux; Nokia's Vision of MeeGo Phones

[News] Reasons to Embrace GNU/Linux at OS X's and Windows' Expense

[News] Windows Stickler: Palm's Linux-based Foleo a Threat to (Windows) Laptops
Palm Foleo with Linux threatens the Laptop ,----[ Quote ] | The Palm Foleo is joining a list of MID (Mobile Internet Devices) like the | Nokia N800 and Asus Eee that use a lightweight version of Linux but the main | advantage of the Foleo is its instant on feature. While traditional “Linux” | may be too difficult for the average user to handle, these highly integrated | implementations of Linux have no problem being adopted by the masses. That | could pose a problem for Microsoft in the long run if these devices ever get | widespread adoption. `---- http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?...

[News] Google's Role in Promoting Linux at Symbian's and Windows' Expense

[News] Palm's Linux-based O/S to be Completed by Year's End

[News] Acer's New Linux Laptop Feels Polished, Linux-based Eee Reviewed
The mini-laptops of summer ,----[ Quote ] | Meanwhile, the Acer Aspire One crams a lot into a very slim, very appealing | package. It's smaller than the Wind (at 9.8 by 6.7 by 1.14 inches) and yet it | finds room to house the same Intel Atom processor and a reasonably large | 8.9-inch display (with a resolution of 1024 by 600 pixels). | | The preview model that we looked at felt well polished. The Aspire One's | plastic superstructure seemed a bit less rugged than the MSI Wind's, but this | mini-laptop has a great keyboard. | | The model we looked at is priced at $400;...

[News] Nokia's Linux-based N900 a "resounding success"; Dell's Linux Phone is Reviewed, Coming Soon

[News] Splashtop's Role as Linux Advocacy/Marketing Tool, Linux-based EeePC 900 Review

[News] [Linux] Motorola's New Linux-based Phone (ROKR Z6) Gets Major Praise
Review: Motorola's Linux Powered ROKR Z6 ,----[ Quote ] | Motorola's MOTOROKR Z6 has an awful lot going for it. It has a capable | music player, takes good photos, and offers new voice technology that we've | never seen from a major manufacturer. It is, to be sure, an eminently | enjoyable slider phone. I would have liked for its internal antenna to have | performed a bit more strongly and I'm not real fond of the d-pad's nail | file like surface, but apart from those few things, I really have enjoyed | the past few weeks I've had with the Z6. | | I'm very p...

[News] Palm's 'Nova Linux' in the Making, Archos Made Linux-based Flexible
Palm Codenames Linux-Based Palm OS II Nova ,----[ Quote ] | Now comes word from Palm Infocenter that the PDA pioneer not only has yet | another, third, smartphone in the works, but that that device is being used | to test its long-delayed Linux-based follow up to the Palm OS, which now has | an internal codename of its own. `---- http://www.smartphonetoday.com/articles/2008/1/2008-1-11-Palm-Codenames-Linux.html Archos 605 WiFi Linux hack ,----[ Quote ] | Personally, I think the Archos 605 WiFi is a cool enough gadget on its own, | but there's always something to be said for hack...

[News] Palm's Linux-based OS in the Making; =?UTF-8?B?RXhvbuKAmXM=?= Quran PDA Runs Linux Too

Web resources about - Old News (New Post Without Mail Follow-up): Worm Hits Windows-based ATM's - comp.os.linux.advocacy

The inevitable arrival of subscription-based Windows
Microsoft needs Windows to be all things to all people. Subscriptions could be the way.

ECS officially announces LIVA smallest Windows-based mini PC kit ever
... a child too, as they can learn about the components and see the internals it should make for a great lesson. Of course, while it will run Windows ...

105.5%: Growth for Windows Based Tablets in 2014
Jan. 15 (Bloomberg) On today's "Bwest Byte," Jon Erlichman looks at an IDC report that says Windows based tablets shipments will grow 105.5 ...

ZTE Unveils New Windows-Based Smartphone, Eyes USA Market
If you live stateside, you might not have heard of ZTE, but they are currently the fourth-largest handset maker in the world. Now, they want ...

HP won't offer an ARM-based Windows 8 tablet this year
Hewlett-Packard's decision to favor Intel-based x86 tablets for Windows 8 bolsters the suspicion that Win 8 on ARM, formally called Windows RT, ...

Microsoft-Barnes & Noble deal could lead to Windows-based tablet
ABC News Microsoft-Barnes & Noble deal could lead to Windows-based tablet Computerworld By Matt Hamblen Computerworld - Microsoft's new partnership ...

Leaker claims that free cloud-based Windows is headed our way
Microsoft is at work on a free, cloud-based version of Windows called Windows Cloud that requires an Internet connection for full functionality, ...

OnLive Announces Free iPad App To Access a Cloud-Based Windows Desktop
... it’ll hit the App Store this Thursday. The app will come with 2 GB of cloud storage space for free, and grant access to a cloud-based Windows ...