Problem with X-window

I have a little problem. I copied some files from 'proc' directory to
other and after that operation my x-window stopped. I used Ctrl + Alt +
F1. Now I am work in a console, and I can't lunch the x-window again. I
know that it possible, because x is running now. Can I logout?

b.swietochowski@silliker.pl did eloquently scribble:

> I have a little problem. I copied some files from 'proc' directory to
> other and after that operation my x-window stopped. I used Ctrl + Alt +
> F1. Now I am work in a console, and I can't lunch the x-window again. I
> know that it possible, because x is running now. Can I logout?

So, what error do you get when you startx?
Did you even quit X? Or is X still running?
If it's running then simply SWITCH BACK TO IT! ALT F7.

|   spike1@freenet.co.uk   |                                                 |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!"          |
|            in            | "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!...FECK!!!! |
|     Computer Science     | - Father Jack in "Father Ted"                   |
spike1 (8171)
4/13/2006 10:19:37 AM
Sorry. It's possible that you disanderstund my problem, because I ate
some words:)
I want to say that :" I know that it isn't possible, because one x is
running now." Sorry.
I got some error about one x-window, which is still running. Now I'm
trying to run startx but I'm still getting error: "Make sure that your
x-window isn't running". I think, when I r\will restart server,
everything will be ok.

Op Thu, 13 Apr 2006 04:07:51 -0700, schreef b.swietochowski:

> Sorry. It's possible that you disanderstund my problem, because I ate
> some words:)
> I want to say that :" I know that it isn't possible, because one x is
> running now." Sorry.
> I got some error about one x-window, which is still running. Now I'm
> trying to run startx but I'm still getting error: "Make sure that your
> x-window isn't running". I think, when I r\will restart server,
> everything will be ok.

Simply try starting a second X session by typing the following command:

  startx -- :1

This session is then bound to the Alt+Ctrl+F8 shortcut key.

Richard Rasker

--
Linetec Translation and Technology Services

http://www.linetec.nl/

0
spamtrap12 (1976)
4/13/2006 11:53:17 AM
Thank you for help, but I fixed it by my self. I killed one proccess: X
:)
I think also about your way, but I want to return to default x-window
settings.

b.swietochowski@silliker.pl did eloquently scribble:

> Sorry. It's possible that you disanderstund my problem, because I ate
> some words:)
> I want to say that :" I know that it isn't possible, because one x is
> running now." Sorry.
> I got some error about one x-window, which is still running. Now I'm
> trying to run startx but I'm still getting error: "Make sure that your
> x-window isn't running". I think, when I r\will restart server,
> everything will be ok.

Thought that'd be the error somehow...
did you try switching back to X?
CTRL ALT F1 doesn't quit X. It's still there, you can switch between the
textmode consoles and X at will.
As I said before, what happens when you press ALT F7?